AnsweredHot!WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 24 of 56
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/04/17 23:14:27
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
Originally posted by franklee

W G Grinder in West Chester I (lunchbunch last week) found to be excellent. I had the reuben which was as good as Mancino's Grinders in Lansing MI. Also excellent were the potato salad, posta salad, chicken soup, tomato soup and both their chocolate & macadamia nut cookies. You may remember Bob (NYPizzaNut) didn't care for itmuch. I agree with bob that Fratell's Pizza wasn't all that great... but I got eggplant parmigiana to take out... and it's the best I've ever eaten! Has spaghettui in it and is topped with a solide layer of yummy cheese....

I didn'trealize they had any W.G. Grinders outside the Columbus area.
They are growing like bunnies:

http://www.wggrinders.com/allstoreslisted.php
jmckee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/04/18 10:38:24
quote:
Originally posted by NYPIzzaNut

quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Cool.

Most Chinese buffets I have been to do NOT include the mongolian grille
There was a big one near McDonalds at Eastgate that closed down a year or so again that featured American food, Chinese food and a Mongolian grill - quite extensive and good.

You mean East Gate Buffet? The first time we went there it was pretty good. It went downhill very quickly after that.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/04/18 19:26:45
Yes - I always like their Chinese offerings - hated to see them go.
franklee
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/04/18 23:30:33
couple eggs... few noodles...a dozen shrimp... aaaahhhhh.... that's what i remember most about east gate buffet... and they had realllllly hot oil..
franklee
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/04/19 00:10:53
lunchbunch this week ventured to Highland County.. Winchester... Old Y Restaurant at US 62 & OH 321! If you're in the area... definitely stop by for great piping hot wholewheat? rolls and a great selection of delicious pies... if the lemon meringue, coconut cream and raspberry rhubarb are any indication, the Old Y could be the best pie maker in the county. fried oysters sucked - unfresh flavor... boiled ham was okay.. fried fish was okay... boiled cabbage was good but totally unspicy... soups also were bland... vegetable.. potato and one other i forget... thursday was a beautiful day.. the drive was beautiful and invigorating.. perhaps an idea for fellow foodies...
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/04/19 01:13:23
I've recently found a few Cincinnati-area Food blogs - well, much of the content is food-ish - mostly but nowhere near entirely restaurant visits - and I thought I'd list the four I liked overall here for everyone.

http://getinmahbelly.blogspot.com/

http://liberalfoodie.blogspot.com
tpd
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/04/19 05:17:34
quote:
Originally posted by Ghaz

On a related note, I noticed Dee Felice has some of their products in the Remke Market in Florence. I picked up a jar of their Bourbon Street salsa and it was literraly the best salsa I've ever had. Not too hot but still with a nice amount of heat and a nice smokey flavor. They also had Gumbo and Jumbalaya where you add your own meat. I'll definitly have to try some next time I go to the store.

Based on your recommendation, I picked up a jar of Dee Felice salsa. I agree it's pretty good but lordy, Jungle Jim's is getting $5.50 for a 16oz jar. At a lower price, I've really enjoyed all of the varieties of Frontera I've tried. Rick Bayless has done a good job of mass marketing a tasty line of salsas. Unfortunately, JJ's has stopped carrying my favorite fresh pack salsas, the Garden Fresh Gourmet Jalapeno and Scotch Bonnet. Now all they have are the mild varieties and Screaming Hot which, speaking as a chili head, is just obnoxious.

I'll have to check out the Gumbo and Jambalya sauces. Jungle's has several brands of this type of thing but I haven't seen DF's.

I was finally back in New Orleans for the first time since K in March (used to go 2-3 times a year) and had some amazing Jambalya at Coop's Place on Decatur St. It was a brown concoction with little or no tomato and even had rabbit among the meats. I need to work on making something close to that on my own when I have time to get away from the jared mixes. They made a killer smoked duck quesadilla too. Coop's may be a dive bar, but you can show up there in a t-shirt and shorts and maybe just a little bit sloppy (all too easy to do in NO) and get a great meal. And my other favorite French Quarter dive bar, Molly's, is two doors down.

Crap...I'm hungry! Are N.O.-to-Go or Knotty Pine or DF's open at 5am?
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/04/19 07:05:10
@ T J Jackson:

There appear to be no new reviews in this http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6632 companion thread since 2006. Did you start another?
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/04/19 12:14:16
No, I have not started another.....no need to do so
Ghaz
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/04/19 13:28:07
quote:
Originally posted by tpd
I'll have to check out the Gumbo and Jambalya sauces. Jungle's has several brands of this type of thing but I haven't seen DF's.

They're also avaialble on the DeeFelice website:

http://www.deefelice.com/shc_cart/viewproductstable

$11 for two 26 oz. jars.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/04/19 16:46:38
For those of you willing to try them, New Orleans To Go has been doing live crawfish boils every Friday and Saturday, and expects to continue doing them through the end of May. They are, not surprisingly, the best I have had outside of my wife's family boils in Louisiana, although the crawfish are on the smaller side this year (which was expected due to the long winter). The $10.95 platter, which includes a few pounds, two sides, and a drink, is a good deal even by Louisiana standards, but the $21.95 all-you-can-eat is an incredible deal. I went with the platter for lunch yesterday due to time constraints, but it was still pretty filling thanks to the sides (fried okra and red beans and rice for me). My only complaint is the lack of dipping sauce, which is a staple at every boil I have attended. Fortunately, it's easy enough to whip up; all you need is equal parts (give or take) ketchup and mayonnaise, seasoned to taste with Tony Chachere's or Zatarain's (NOTG uses the latter). When I asked for the ingredients, the owner exclaimed, "Who told you about the mix?!"

Now, my two co-workers had never seen the like, and were pretty much disgusted by the spectacle, so make sure that your lunch partners have open minds. They love the catfish po' boys, so we will continue to go to lunch together. I suppose I'll just sit at my own table for the remainder of crawfish season.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/04/19 19:19:42
quote:
Originally posted by dlawson

For those of you willing to try them, New Orleans To Go has been doing live crawfish boils every Friday and Saturday, and expects to continue doing them through the end of May. They are, not surprisingly, the best I have had outside of my wife's family boils in Louisiana, although the crawfish are on the smaller side this year (which was expected due to the long winter). The $10.95 platter, which includes a few pounds, two sides, and a drink, is a good deal even by Louisiana standards, but the $21.95 all-you-can-eat is an incredible deal. I went with the platter for lunch yesterday due to time constraints, but it was still pretty filling thanks to the sides (fried okra and red beans and rice for me). My only complaint is the lack of dipping sauce, which is a staple at every boil I have attended. Fortunately, it's easy enough to whip up; all you need is equal parts (give or take) ketchup and mayonnaise, seasoned to taste with Tony Chachere's or Zatarain's (NOTG uses the latter). When I asked for the ingredients, the owner exclaimed, "Who told you about the mix?!"

Now, my two co-workers had never seen the like, and were pretty much disgusted by the spectacle, so make sure that your lunch partners have open minds. They love the catfish po' boys, so we will continue to go to lunch together. I suppose I'll just sit at my own table for the remainder of crawfish season.
Now you got me craving one of their wonderful oyster po' boys! And some of the famous cornbread the owner's husband cooks up when he is there!
jjjrfoodie
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/04/19 22:03:08
quote:
Originally posted by tpd

quote:

On a related note, I noticed Dee Felice has some of their products in the Remke Market in Florence. I picked up a jar of their Bourbon Street salsa and it was literraly the best salsa I've ever had. Not too hot but still with a nice amount of heat and a nice smokey flavor. They also had Gumbo and Jumbalaya where you add your own meat. I'll definitly have to try some next time I go to the store.

Based on your recommendation, I picked up a jar of Dee Felice salsa.

Both the Gumbo and Jumbalaya can be found at the West Chester Biggs on Route 747 and the Biggs in the shopping center with Bass Pro Shops on Winton E\Rd. at I-275 interchange.

jjjrfoodie
dlawson
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/04/19 23:19:45
Gumbo sauce? I will readily admit that I am biased because of my wife, but...seriously, if you can't at the very least make a jar of Savoie's work for you, you probably have no business making gumbo in the first place.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/04/22 10:17:47
a move and a closure

I dont know if this has been mentioned before -- and my apologies if it has already -- but the old Mokka location in Newport is closed and apparently, they are reopening (have reopened? dunno) in the old Syndicate location right across from the bell "tower". Word is a new breakfast only place - Yolk? - will open eventually at the old Mokka spot

Polly noted in the FR that House of Tam in Finneytown has been shuttered recently
johnbycz
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/04/24 16:28:16
I don't know if y'all can see this, but the Wall Street Journal had a terrific article today about how rising food costs are affecting restaurants.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120900163110240285.html

You know this kind of thing is going on here, and it's got to be worse for the independents. Eat local!
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/04/24 20:26:13
Good article -- thanks for the link.

Baker's Square is pretty good for a chain. We usually stop there for pie when I go to Chicago. I'm surprised they're having so much trouble.

It sounds like they have a plan to get back on track, though. I wish them the best.

The last year has been brutal for the independents I frequented. Unfortunately, the Little Caesar's replacing Portabello's right down the street from me is becoming all too typical of an occurance.
BillC
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/04/24 20:43:39
yes, good article. thanks. i recently read an article about the First Watch restaurants (i think in the enquirer business section) where the local owner said he was staying awake nights wondering how much people would pay for an omelet.
Mr.Br0wn
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/04/25 14:53:44
quote:
Originally posted by dlawson

I wonder if with enough hinting and begging we could get those nice young ladies at NOTG to add a good crayfish Etouffee to the menu?? I would be there every day for that one!
dlawson
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/04/25 16:27:05
I have seen crawfish etouffee show up as a daily special a couple of times, but it isn't part of their "permanent" menu.

Speaking of the menu, I was in yesterday for a jambol (a concoction they invented, consisting of jambalaya, your choice of meat or fish, grilled vegetables, and their "famous glaze"...excellent, by the way), and they told me that changes to the menu are coming soon. They didn't give me any particulars, however.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/04/25 16:32:11
I should also note that ("at my request," the owner told me) they now have Tony Chachere's available to use in your crawfish dipping sauce, or anything else.
jmckee
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/04/26 12:35:18
We ought to meet up there for lunch one Friday -- anybody for a Roadfood.com/NOTG luncheon?
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/04/26 19:34:50
Two-thirds of the lunchbunch visited New Orleans To Go for lunch today. We had large Oyster and Spicy Sausage Po'Boys, cornbread, boiled crawfish, crawfish etouffee, fried okra, gumbo, clam and shrimp chowder, red beans and rice. cole slaw and for dessert (like we needed it) sweet potato casserole.

My partner has the digital photos of the spread in his camera and we will have them up here soon and he will wax poetic about the wonderful tastes of this food banquet and I will chime in to elaborate, expand and/or correct as might be needed. This place has become one of our favorite haunts and the owner Latoya could not be a more pleasant wonderful hostess and exceptionally talented chef. We arrived there an hour before she opens (noon on Saturday) and she ushered us in and we chatted as she got the food going and the place ready to open up. They are getting ready to celebrate their two year anniversary there and will have their patio furniture out in two weeks and the new menu will be out soon and an updated website - this is their current one:
http://www.neworleanstogopoboysandmo.com/home
http://www.neworleanstogopoboysandmo.com/menu
NEW ORLEANS TO GO
dlawson
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/04/27 09:00:17
I am up for it any Friday, jmckee.
Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/04/27 19:21:16
This morning in "The Marketplace" article of the Enquirer's Business Section, there was a mention that Bruster's and Nathan's will be sharing a building on Kentonlands Road in Erlanger. We passed the location on our way to the library this afternoon. It's right next to the parking lot of the Taco Bell which is at the corner of Dixie Highway and Kentonlands. I think that they're remodeling a building that housed a garage (?) at that location. It's just a shell at this point. I've never had Bruster's ice cream. Has anyone tried it, and if so, what do you think?
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/04/27 20:27:27
Never heard of them but there is one in West Chester already:

http://www.cincinnatiusa.com/dining/detail.asp?RestID=11098

Ghaz
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/04/29 02:10:23
quote:
Originally posted by Sandy Thruthegarden

It's right next to the parking lot of the Taco Bell which is at the corner of Dixie Highway and Kentonlands. I think that they're remodeling a building that housed a garage (?) at that location. It's just a shell at this point.

If it's directly behind Taco Bell (looking at it from Dixie Highway) then that used to be an Art's Rental Equipment.

As for Bruster's, there's already one in Florence. It's on U.S. 42 a few miles past the end of Mall Road between Pleasant Valley Rd. and Hopeful Church Rd. Here's the local store's website:

http://www.brusters.com/localstores/index.asp?storenum=245
Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/04/30 08:30:47
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Sandy Thruthegarden

It's right next to the parking lot of the Taco Bell which is at the corner of Dixie Highway and Kentonlands. I think that they're remodeling a building that housed a garage (?) at that location. It's just a shell at this point.

If it's directly behind Taco Bell (looking at it from Dixie Highway) then that used to be an Art's Rental Equipment.

As for Bruster's, there's already one in Florence. It's on U.S. 42 a few miles past the end of Mall Road between Pleasant Valley Rd. and Hopeful Church Rd. Here's the local store's website:

http://www.brusters.com/localstores/index.asp?storenum=245

That's the location. I couldn't remember what was there previously.
The link from NYPIzzaNut describes a "sleek open air establishment". That wouldn't work at the Erlanger location where there's a lot of traffic and pollution right at that corner.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/04/30 16:01:34
Some misc items - all except Mokka located downtown

Oceanaire update
Walked by it a few days ago, and there was a sign out front saying "Training begins May 19". I thought this was kinda odd - why wouldn't you just tell the folks you hire at the time you hire them?

Ko Sho
Had my first lunch there - I'd been putting off trying the place for ages because it looked like they specialized in sushi and sashimi (I haven't developed a taste for either), they're expensive, and it always looks empty. I stopped in early this week t try the pork tonkatsu, having read a lot about katsu and japanese curry this week. It was expensive at 9.95, but this price does include a small salad (ok), a small miso soup (my first taste of miso, and not one I liked), and a rather large bowl of the main dish, which included rice, sauce, pork cutlet, onions, bean sprouts, green onion, and egg. Th main was pretty good and I was stuffed to the gills when I left. While parts of this place seem to suggest that they think of themselves as moderately fine dining, other elements were "decaying diner" right down to the gas-station quality bathroom and ultracheap carpet. The thick glass door at the entry takes a stng pull to open and will make a very loud crashing sound if you allow it to close on it's own. Update 5/7/2008: According to Polly Campbell ala the Foodie Report, Ko Sho is moving to Northside in June, The downtown location will close.

Tan Thai
I just had my first lunch there, and while it was on the expensive side (starts at 7 bucks for entree+noodles or nice, and goes up from there), I thought it was very, very good. I had the medium hot garlic chicken (VERY good), an eggroll (small and dry, mostly meat which I thought was odd), a couple of crab rangoons (more stuffing in one of these than in two rangoons anywhere else, and served with strawberry sauce) and a order of pan fried pork dumplings (good but not great). Definitely will go back despite the 20 block round trip walk. Is it just me, or are all the Thai places in town rather on the expensive side when compared to chinese joints? Update 5/7/2008: I tried to get a table at 12 noon and the place was PACKED to the rafters. Ah well.

Caspian Express
This is a tiny gyro and falafel joint with a very limited menu on Court between Vine and Race - 29 E Court. Their carryout menu claims they make their own pita bread, which by itself IMHO makes it worthy of a visit. Update 5/7/2008: Unable to get a table at Tan Thai, I walked down to snag a gyro here, looking forward to the home-made pita bread. Turns out they stopped making it from scratch, with the reason given that everyone wanted store-bought pitas. I don't know that I buy that.....but in an case, the very dry gyro on the crumbly store bought pita was not very good. While I was there, another customer was raving about the falafel, so that at least earns them a return visit.

Mokka
Mokka (great little breakfast place in Newport) has moved to a space inside the former "Syndicate" building. I have not been inside, but it looks like they have a LOT more seating space than in the tiny storefront at their original location. Supposedly, the old location will open as yet another little breakfast spot
KahnsKrazy
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/04/30 17:35:08
Howdy! New to the site. An amazing amount of posts on this thread. I read the first few pages and the last few. Interesting selections from a lot of people here. Not just the regular rehash of the Cincinnati standby's.

Looking forward to reading more and hopefully contributing. I've added some places to my list of things to try.
Ghaz
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/05/01 02:01:42
quote:

Oceanaire update
Walked by it a few days ago, and there was a sign out front saying "Training begins May 19". I thought this was kinda odd - why wouldn't you just tell the folks you hire at the time you hire them?

It's for the public. It tells them that 1) We're actually training our staff and 2) That we will be opening soon.
luebster
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/05/01 08:42:50
quote:
Tan Thai
I just had my first lunch there, and while it was on the expensive side (starts at 7 bucks for entree+noodles or nice, and goes up from there), I thought it was very, very good. I had the medium hot garlic chicken (VERY good), an eggroll (small and dry, mostly meat which I thought was odd), a couple of crab rangoons (more stuffing in one of these than in two rangoons anywhere else, and served with strawberry sauce) and a order of pan fried pork dumplings (good but not great). Definitely will go back despite the 20 block round trip walk. Is it just me, or are all the Thai places in town rather on the expensive side when compared to chinese joints?

Glad you liked Tan Thai. My lunch bunch (which is now down to 3) goes there about once every 3 or 4 weeks. Yes, they are a tad expensive, but the food is very, very good. I'd rather have good, pricey food, than bland, cheap food like Wah Mee.

What other Thai or good Chinese is there downtown for lunch? Like you, TJ, I'm always looking for new places to try...
KahnsKrazy
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/05/01 15:42:50
I was by Oceanaire today, and the posted menu indicates they are planning to open on June 5th.

I was surprised to see the pricing on the menu. I didn't really compare, but it strikes me as a step more expensive, but very similar to McCormick & Schmicks, which is about a block and a half away.

It seems odd to me that two higher-end seafood restaurants would want to locate so close together, especially in a town not famous for supporting seafood restaurants.

soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/05/02 11:09:37
The Foodie Blog says Oceanaire will open June 2~

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/foodie/2008/05/oceanaire-has-opening-date.asp#comments

This, however, may be a pre-opening date {only open to select groups} ??

Another Foodie Blog announcement - The opening of a restaurant at the Midwest Culinary Institute at Cincinnati State~

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/foodie/2008/04/reaching-summit.asp#comments
KahnsKrazy
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/05/02 13:55:53
Are they doing lunch? Monday would be an odd choice for an opening.
donw9876
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/05/07 21:12:04
A quick review of the lunch buffet at the relatively new "Raja India" restaurant on Tylersville Rd in Mason:

The buffet itself is pretty small, probably one of the smaller Indian buffets I've eaten at. (I mean the buffet tables themselves - the restaurant is in a new space and is quite spacious.) They had the usual entrees and hot items: white rice, lentil stuff, curried garbanzo stuff, chicken prepared two different ways as curried stews, the creamed spinach stuff, naan bread, and the yummy red tandoor chicken. (Sorry there's such overuse of the word "stuff", I simply mean that the items are very similar to those at other Indian restaurants, and I do not remember the actual names of most of the items.)

The salad selection was pretty limited: there was lettuce, what appeared to be the yogurt dressing that I did not try, two or three fruit items like melons, and a couple of different curried relishes. I tried one relish with an orange color with pieces of peppers and garbanzos in it, and it was incredibly salty more, than it was spicy.

The tandoor chicken is my favorite at these buffets but it was in fairly limited supply and two pieces I scored were quite dry. I got there at 1:30 and the buffet closes at 2:30 so possibly they were gearing down for closing.

One dessert item, the usual kheer.

It was worth $8, but I hope that they were simply holding back and that they do better on their dinners. It seemed pretty minimal for such a buffet. I like the buffet at Tandoor in Montgomery or the one at Amar India in Dayton much better, both for selection and quality of the items.

Service was lacking - I got a default glass of ice water but the girl never checked back to see if I wanted a soft drink, coffee or even to refill my water.

It's OK but not really worth a lengthy drive. I'm relatively close in Lebanon so I do hope that they beef up the buffet. I'll try it again in a month or so and report back if it has improved.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/05/09 00:28:23
quote:
Originally posted by franklee

W G Grinder in West Chester I (lunchbunch last week) found to be excellent. I had the reuben which was as good as Mancino's Grinders in Lansing MI. Also excellent were the potato salad, posta salad, chicken soup, tomato soup and both their chocolate & macadamia nut cookies. You may remember Bob (NYPizzaNut) didn't care for itmuch. I agree with bob that Fratell's Pizza wasn't all that great... but I got eggplant parmigiana to take out... and it's the best I've ever eaten! Has spaghettui in it and is topped with a solide layer of yummy cheese....

Well, the gf and I decided to venture to West Chester and try WG's, and when we got there it was closed. This was a little after 8 p.m. on a Saturday.

Needless to say we were very disappointed. We went to a Chinese buffet in Hamilton instead, which was pretty good.

Is WG's closed permanently already or have they not quite figured out that Saturday evenings are a time a pizza/grinder place should probably be open? Especially when your location is in the 'burbs.

Speaking of Hamilton, I got a steak hoagie from Chesters on Wednesday, and for $6 I was unimpressed. It wasn't that big and the taste was pretty good, but not worth the price. I guess I should stick to their pizza or go to Richard's down the street for hoagies.
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/05/09 13:11:48
From the Foodie Blog...

New this summer ~ A Soul Food Festival at the Hamilton COunty Fairgrounds on May 31.

Some restaurants involved and entertainment mentioned. More info to come later...

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/foodie/2008/05/soooooooul-food.asp#comments

This is definitely somthing new for Cincinnati!!
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/05/09 14:44:33
Sounds interesting...

Ya know, I've lived here a while now, but I have no idea where Hamilton County Fairgrounds are. In fact, I don't think I've ever heard of them. Does anyone know?
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/05/09 15:01:27
quote:
Originally posted by Bonk

Sounds interesting...

Ya know, I've lived here a while now, but I have no idea where Hamilton County Fairgrounds are. In fact, I don't think I've ever heard of them. Does anyone know?

It is on Vine St. in Hartwell, not far past "where Paddock meets Vine at the big Indian sign". Here is the website~

http://www.hamiltoncountyfair.com/

http://www.hamiltoncountyfair.com/directions.html

Apparently the parking gate is 7801 Anthony Wayne.

Pat T Hat
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/05/09 21:12:59
quote:
Originally posted by soozycue520

quote:

Sounds interesting...

"where Paddock meets Vine at the big Indian sign".

*SNORT*

Thanks for the chuckle, I haven't heard that in years.
There use to be a few great chili holes around that area.

Remember "Just follow the arrows and follow the signs to Cash's Big Bargain Barn in South LebEnon Ohio"...I have that one on tape!
jmckee
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/05/12 10:50:46
quote:
Originally posted by Pat T Hat

quote:

quote:

Sounds interesting...

"where Paddock meets Vine at the big Indian sign".

*SNORT*

Thanks for the chuckle, I haven't heard that in years.
There use to be a few great chili holes around that area.

Remember "Just follow the arrows and follow the signs to Cash's Big Bargain Barn in South LebEnon Ohio"...I have that one on tape!

...."Where you save cash with Kash!"

Careful -- we're dating ourselves.
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/05/13 13:36:52
Well it's almost Taste of Cincinnati time. Last night they had the judging for the Best of the Taste at the Duke Energy Center in downtown Cincy.

And the winner is...

Carrabba's Chicken Bryan

A chain, and the same as last year!!

How embarrassing.

Oh well, I've learned to expect such things in my fair city.

For those interested, here is the website, with info, menus, and entertainment.

http://www.taste-of-cincinnati.com/

I still love going, and am on vacation this year {I work weekends}, so I will probably drop by Sat. and/or Sun.
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/05/13 14:05:25
Also, update on the Soul Food Festival:

I saw a flyer the other day, and they are selling tickets for the event. It was $30.00 in advance. I am more in it for the food, not the entertainment, so it's probably not something I will do. I'm pretty sure the $30 is for the entertainment, with the food costing extra.

If I hear something else about it, I'll post it.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/05/13 22:59:14
WHAT!?!? I was seriously interested in going, but not with that price tag.

Are the Beatles reuniting for the weekend?
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/05/14 01:03:16
Bonk~

I was seriously interested, as well. The entertainment consists of Morris Day & the Time. I have seen them at Taste of Cincinnati for free. They used to back Prince. They are good. Jeffrey Osborn is good, too. I'm not saying the entertainment, which, apparently, goes on all day, wouldn't be worth $30.00. But if you just wanted to sample "Cincinnati Soul Food", why would you pay $30.00 to get in?
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/05/14 01:29:35
quote:

Pat~

I was talking to someone the other day, who remembers the commercials for "Kash Amburgy... the ole' country boy, where you save cash with Kash"...etc. Is the tape you have internet accessible?
Pat T Hat
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/05/14 10:57:51
quote:

quote:

Pat~

I was talking to someone the other day, who remembers the commercials for "Kash Amburgy... the ole' country boy, where you save cash with Kash"...etc. Is the tape you have internet accessible?

Nah, it's just an old videotape with a bunch of Cincy junk on it.
Some Bob Shreve's Past Prime Playhouse, a little Cool Goul, Skipper Ryle, Uncle Al, Hatty the Witch & Snarfy Our Dog...Cincy broadcasting stuff...like, remember when WCPO was held hostage?
A lot of it I've taped from WCET.

Somewhere in a box, I have a tape of the old Hudy De-Light commercials with Arte Johnson...verrry interesting!

By the way Soozycue, did you ever make it to Shakey's in Florence?
They had a segment on WXIX featuring his Pub & Grub this morning.
They highly recommended the Grouper...so would I!
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/05/18 06:45:28
So I drove past the Little Seizure's-Formerly-Portabello's, and had to laugh because there was an ambulance, a fire truck, and two police cars in the parking lot, and someone was being lifted into the ambulance on a stretcher.

Must've been the food.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/05/19 10:36:42
So I was told last night that the former Square Bubble on Beechmont Ave. is now a Mongolian place, and that the food there is quite good. I heard they have sushi also, which I'm not a fan of.

I'm a big fan of those joints, so I'll have to give it a try.

Any East Siders know anything about this? TJ?
jmckee
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/05/19 11:17:17
I'm brain-fading: Square Bubble? What / Where is/was that?
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/05/19 11:19:06
Soozy:
Yeah, I saw your comments to Polly re: the Taste of Cincinnati. I have added several comments of my own. The idiots running this thing simple have to disallow national eateries from eligibility to win awards. Participation in the event? Sure. Win Awards? No. In any case, Polly has said she occasionally reads this thread and clearly monitors the Foodie Report blog comments regularly, so I am certain she has read your message(s). My wife and kids love Carrabbas, btw, so next time they drag me in there I'll have to try this darned Chicken Bryan dish that has disgraced our fair city's name so :-)

Bonk:
I had not heard about Square Bubble (more recently the Foreign Exchange, which by the[url='http://rodeo.cincinnati.com/f2/dining/details.aspx?siteid=0&id=11025&lid=11126&cID=2']enquirer capsule review - including a long diatribe by the supposed owner[/url] seems to be a sushi place) closing, but that particular location has seen the death of at least a dozen eateries in the time I have lived in the area - roughly since 1997 Oddly, one of it's former incarnations was also Mongolian :-) I'll try to check it out soon.

KahnsCrazy: Welcome to the Roadfood :-) Oceanaire will indeed by all accounts be open for lunch. Not sure I can afford a 9 dollar bowl of lobster bisque too often, but I'll certainly give it a try once, at least.

Luebster: Welcome to Roadfood :-) There are few other Amerasian joints around town, but I have not found any of them to be particularly good, including the venerable Wah Mee over on Elm. The tiny, vietnamese-oriented "The Orient" on Main in probably the best of the rest but there is a big dropoff from Tan Thai. They seem to sell a lot of Pho, and I haven't tried Pho yet, so I may revise my opinion of the place upward once I try that.

All
1) I've now eaten at Tan Thai about a half dozen times, and every meal has been no worse than "very good" in my book. Though 7 bucks for lunch still seems a bit pricey to me, this is fast becoming one of my favorite downtown lunch spots. A recent highlight was the the fried rice, easily the best fried rice dish I have ever eaten.

2) My youngest sister just graduated with a Doctorate of Pharmacy from Northern Ohio University, which is located a few miles east of Lima, OH. I rode up with one of my other sisters and showed her Kewpee Burger and also the Maid-Rite in Greenville. She liked it :-) I brought back a bag of 4 sandwiches for later and tried to get the wife to try one, but she wouldn't touch it, so the remainders were this morning's breakfast. Yum.

3) The eatery going into the old Patoshnik's space is "Flo's Plateful of Soul". They don't seem to be in a hurry to open, based on the pace the place seems to be coming together.

4) Some of you may recall that a couple of years ago, I entered a post asking if folks around here had ever heard of a roving local bbq joint called "Big Bob's BBQ", as my brother had raved about their ribs and we could no longer find them. More recently, the owner of New Orleans to Go had logged in here and notified us that Big Bob's was now Scott's BBQ in the Northland Plaza in Forest Park. I let my brother (who has since relocated to Middletown) know back around Christmastime, and he finally reported back to me this past weekend at my sisters graduation - they have unfortunately abandoned whatever recipe had wowed him when they were Big Bob's, and he did not rate their ribs or sauce as even "good". Sad.

5) I'm working from home 2-3 days a week so I will probably start to hit some lunch spots closer to home, ie radiating outward from Mt Washington.....almost assuredly including the Mongolian place Bonk mentions above....if indeed it is Mongolian. Sushi is not somethign I have acquired a taste for as yet.
sudie
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/05/19 11:27:36
We drove by that location on Beechmont. I think it's called the Foreign Express, or maybe Foreign Exchange. It has been several establishments previously. I have heard from several co-workers that it's good and fairly reasonable. We'll try it soon, also, as the kitchen remodel from hell is underway and dragging on, and we're lloking for more places close by to eat quickly.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/05/19 12:09:45
TJ/JMcKee - Square Bubble closed about a year ago. I was in Applebee's a few months ago and ran into one of the place's former bartenders, and it seems to me he said something about tax issues.

The place did good business, and the food was excellent. We were sad to see it go.

TJ - Foreign Exchange, that's the place. Thanks for the link. Looks like something I'd be interested in, but I'd have to go it alone first before taking the gf. She's never had Thai, and at this stage she prefers buffets because she can sample different items without committing to them.

Also, TJ, if you haven't been the Feldy's recently (Anderson Tavern, is that what it's called now?), they've changed their menu pretty drastically to become more Roadfoodish. Less fancy stuff, more sandwiches/saratoga chips/cheesesticks, etc.

I'd highly recommend giving it a shot, if you haven't in a while.

The prices and portions are excellent, and the food's tremendous. I fancy the Italian sandwich with Saratoga chips, which taste great dipped in their house BBQ sauce. The sauce is tangy but sweet.

Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/05/21 05:43:20
Eastgate Sonic screwed up again...

If I didn't like their burgers I'd never go back. I ordered three plain burgers for the gf and I, plus two coneys. I ordered one with onions and the other without mustard and onions. What do I get? One with mustard AND onions.

I had to drive all the way back to get one made right.

I love all these legislators that say minumum wage should be $7 an hour. $5.15 is too high for people that can't understand basic instructions. When people mistake "no" for "with", they don't deserve to have jobs.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/05/21 13:27:51
I love White Castles but they can screw up things ridiculously too. (Eastgate)
jmckee
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/05/22 09:50:57
quote:
Originally posted by NYPIzzaNut

I love White Castles but they can screw up things ridiculously too. (Eastgate)

My son and I stopped into that Chateau Blanc one evening when he had a school event and we were strapped for time. What an incompetent staff! There were 12 staff members behind the counter; two of them were actually acting as if there was a line at the counter -- which there was. The others were either moving very, very slowly or chitchatting.
sudie
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/05/23 10:20:24
We finally made it to Terry's Turf Club on Eastern Ave. Best burger I think I've ever had, and my husband concurred. There was a wait for a table (about 7:00) and a wait for the food, but oh, man was it worth it! It's not a big place, and I imagine weekends must be crazy. Nice to see a local place packed. Can't wait to go back.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/05/23 14:06:07
Is it handicap accessible, sudie?
sudie
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/05/23 14:27:25
As I recall, there is one step up to the entrance. Don't know about the restrooms, as we didn't visit them. Shouldn't everything be handicapped accessible unless it's really old and "grandfathered" in?
Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 24 of 56