WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > >> | Showing page 26 of 54, messages 1501 to 1560 of 3222
jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1172
  • Reward points : 0
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Thu, 07/10/08 1:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by soozycue520

Triple J~

(edit)

I wanted to mention that I went to Newtown Farm Market the other day. Although the fresh corn is not out yet, I still have to say I love this place. When they have local produce, they have a sign above the produce that says "local". They tell you where everything is from {i.e. Georgia corn & peaches}, and give samples. They have Amish products, local cheeses & breads. All employees are ready to give any information needed. The kind of service they provide is not readily available any more.

Also, although I did not enjoy any on this particular trip, they have frozen custard. I usually take my grandkids during fresh corn on the cob season {I will probably be back soon} to have the frozen custard, see the talking parrots and buy some great food. It is definitely a short road trip worth taking.

Oh I love Newtown Farm Market beyond all reason. It's my favorite place to shop for food during these fine months. Now that they have a limited beer and wine selection, it's even more convenient for one-stop seasonal fruits, vegetables, Boar's Head, Amish bakery stuff, etc. The Palmisano family can be justifiably proud of this place.

NYPIzzaNut
  • Total Posts : 3127
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Thu, 07/10/08 1:20 PM
quote:
Originally posted by jmckee

quote:

Triple J~

(edit)

I wanted to mention that I went to Newtown Farm Market the other day. Although the fresh corn is not out yet, I still have to say I love this place. When they have local produce, they have a sign above the produce that says "local". They tell you where everything is from {i.e. Georgia corn & peaches}, and give samples. They have Amish products, local cheeses & breads. All employees are ready to give any information needed. The kind of service they provide is not readily available any more.

Also, although I did not enjoy any on this particular trip, they have frozen custard. I usually take my grandkids during fresh corn on the cob season {I will probably be back soon} to have the frozen custard, see the talking parrots and buy some great food. It is definitely a short road trip worth taking.

Oh I love Newtown Farm Market beyond all reason. It's my favorite place to shop for food during these fine months. Now that they have a limited beer and wine selection, it's even more convenient for one-stop seasonal fruits, vegetables, Boar's Head, Amish bakery stuff, etc. The Palmisano family can be justifiably proud of this place.
This place is a true joy - I generally spend a half hour conversing with the parrots! Then I get down to the serious business of shopping and enjoying some of their wonderful custard and sandwich fare.

Here is their website:

http://www.newtownmarket.com/

ENJOY!!!!

TJ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 4486
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Fri, 07/11/08 3:44 PM
Tan Thai has raised it's prices about 15% and reduced their menu selections by about a third. The waitstaff says nothing else has changed but lunch was noticeably not as good today. I'll be sure to check back

Plate Full of Soul is still not open but looks a LOT closer to opening. Pretty much all the space that was previous reserved for tables has been taken over by the very large kitchen - so unless I am badly mistaken this will be a carryout-only joint.

Matt Hatfield
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Fri, 07/11/08 6:24 PM
Satisfied my curiosity today by going to Zip's to see what the fuss was all about. Got there at 12:45. Heavy lunchtime traffic. With only about 8 booths, 5 tables, and 2 long tables seating 16 each, the place was packed. Luckily the wait was only 5 minutes. Tried the Zip Burger w/cheddar plus onion rings. Burger was moist and good, but not worth a special trip. Living in KY, I'll stick with the prime burger at Ruby Tuesday.

Next, went to the Newtown farmer's market. Went wild and bought 6 ears of corn. Wife said it reminded her a lot of Kremer's off Buttermilk in Ft. Mitchell/Villa Hills area. Again, didn't seem worth crossing the river for.

Bonk
  • Total Posts : 505
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Sat, 07/12/08 6:14 AM
Finally tried Great Scott on Friday. We were very impressed.

We got the fried pickles for an appetizer, and they were excellent, not to mention absolutely huge. We got eight 8-10-inch breaded spears, and I believe it was $6. Breading was awesome. Better than The Pub, which was my favorite.

We weren't feeling particularly adventuresome (although the crab cake burger intrigued me), so I got a mushroom-asiago burger, and the gf got a BLT wrap. My burger was outstanding. Juicy (and medium rare, just like I'd asked for), the Bordeaux mushroom sauce was outstanding, and the asiago cheese was the perfect complement.

My gf said her wrap was excellent, too. Fries are the dafault side that comes with both items, and they were terrific. Crispy and seasoned -- maybe with seasoned salt, I didn't ask.

I got a pop, my gf got some chick drink, and she said it was impressive.

The bill was $31+ ($38 after tip), and overall we were very happy.

The only negatives -- and these are minor compared to the entire experience -- are 1) it was really hot in the bar area, 2) the appetizer come out about three minutes before the main courses, and 3) the bar was understaffed. I guess they were exceptionally busy, but they really needed a second bartender. But the one they had did a great job.

I highly recommend it.

Oh yeah, 12 draft beers, with only two being Bud Light and Miller Light.

http://www.1greatscott.com/

soozycue520
  • Total Posts : 1026
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Sat, 07/12/08 9:31 PM
Someone told me that Porkopolis {the old Rookwood Pottery} closed June 30th. Does anyone have any information about this?

kimmykins
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Sun, 07/13/08 11:46 AM
Hi all:
Just thought I'd post a review of a couple different places...

Bai Fern: Fantastic little Thai place in Montgomery in a strip mall next to Harper's Point adjacent to Dairy Queen. If you go, you MUST have a fish listed under "fantastic fish". It is the third entry on the menu. Deep fried snapper with this spicy toe-curlingly good brown sauce with diced peppers and onions on top. It's also topped with crispy thai basil leaves. If you describe it to the waiter, he'll know which one I'm talking about. Their Pad Thai is also delicious. The drunken noodle is so-so, definitely not as good as Thai Cafe on Ludlow.

Dino's Euro Grille in Blue Ash on Cornell Road next to McDonald's. This place just opened up a couple months ago. On the outside, it looks like a nondescript fast food joint, but the inside is much more nicely decorated then the typical deli/fast grille type place. Their specialty is greek/middle eastern fair. Everybody coming in seemed to gravitate towards the gyros, greek salad or falafel. However, they also have burgers on the menu. I watched as the grille staff sliced off copious amounts of gyro meat from the hanging spit of lamb and grilled my pita so it was nice and warm. They also are very generous with the delicious cucumber/yogurt sauce and veggies. Great gyro. The fries are delicious too. They had an unusual coating on them that made them particularly crispy. Total cost: gyro, fries and drink - $6.99. My husband bypassed the fries and had the lemony chicken rice which was also a nice accompaniment. I appreciated that the proprietor came out and asked us how our meal was and asked our name.

I'd highly recommend both.

NYPIzzaNut
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Sun, 07/13/08 12:52 PM
quote:
Originally posted by kimmykins

Hi all:
Just thought I'd post a review of a couple different places...

Bai Fern: Fantastic little Thai place in Montgomery in a strip mall next to Harper's Point adjacent to Dairy Queen. If you go, you MUST have a fish listed under "fantastic fish". It is the third entry on the menu. Deep fried snapper with this spicy toe-curlingly good brown sauce with diced peppers and onions on top. It's also topped with crispy thai basil leaves. If you describe it to the waiter, he'll know which one I'm talking about. Their Pad Thai is also delicious. The drunken noodle is so-so, definitely not as good as Thai Cafe on Ludlow.

Dino's Euro Grille in Blue Ash on Cornell Road next to McDonald's. This place just opened up a couple months ago. On the outside, it looks like a nondescript fast food joint, but the inside is much more nicely decorated then the typical deli/fast grille type place. Their specialty is greek/middle eastern fair. Everybody coming in seemed to gravitate towards the gyros, greek salad or falafel. However, they also have burgers on the menu. I watched as the grille staff sliced off copious amounts of gyro meat from the hanging spit of lamb and grilled my pita so it was nice and warm. They also are very generous with the delicious cucumber/yogurt sauce and veggies. Great gyro. The fries are delicious too. They had an unusual coating on them that made them particularly crispy. Total cost: gyro, fries and drink - $6.99. My husband bypassed the fries and had the lemony chicken rice which was also a nice accompaniment. I appreciated that the proprietor came out and asked us how our meal was and asked our name.

I'd highly recommend both.
These sound like places I need to visit! Thanks for your detailed reviews.

Regarding the Thai restaurant is their Pad Thai sweet and spicy or simply spicy and flavorful? I have had a difficult time finding Pad Thai I enjoy in Thai restaurants, since I really do not like it sweet - I love it spicy and with lots of flavor other than sweetness- I normally find Pad Thai more to my liking in Chinese restaurants!

TJ Jackson
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Sun, 07/13/08 1:48 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Bonk

Finally tried Great Scott on Friday. We were very impressed.

http://www.1greatscott.com/

I guess I just keep following you, Bonk :-)

We were there about a week ago and also like it. My wife's pot roast sandwich was something she absolutely raved about. I think I will make a roadfooder out of her yet - she's starting to understand that some places simpler are better than others and are worth finding.

I had the crunch-coated walleye mainly because it was on special that night and ergo 3 bucks off. Good but not great. Large portion.

We watched as a large and very impressive looking order of chicken parmesan ws delivered to the table next to us. By the diner's reaction as she ate, it was excellent.

The oddity was the kid's reaction to their spaghetti. Both of them will pretty much eat spaghetti for every meal if we'd let them, and clean their plate each time - but both pushed aside their kiddie spaghetti after just a few bites, feasting on dinner rolls with butter thereafter.

jjjrfoodie
  • Total Posts : 422
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Sun, 07/13/08 3:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Hatfield

Satisfied my curiosity today by going to Zip's to see what the fuss was all about. Got there at 12:45. Heavy lunchtime traffic. With only about 8 booths, 5 tables, and 2 long tables seating 16 each, the place was packed. Luckily the wait was only 5 minutes. Tried the Zip Burger w/cheddar plus onion rings. Burger was moist and good, but not worth a special trip. Living in KY, I'll stick with the prime burger at Ruby Tuesday.

Zips is almost always crowded. Comes with the location patronage.

Matt, while I agree Zips is not a true destination burger place unless you are local to the Mt. Lookout/Hyde Park area, it is VERY reasonably priced and you can hide in a corner and eat good food and drink long-neck Buds to your hearts content without being hassled. Something Ruby Tuesday cannot bring to the table in my opinion.

A burger is still a burger. Very easy to make but far easier to screw up.

Aurthur's, Zips and now Terry's Turf Club are my go-to's for a burger fix these day. You know of somewhere in Northern KY that is equal or better for burgers and I'll give it a go as I live 2 blocks from the river. LMK.

Jerry
jjjrfoodie

Alco251
  • Total Posts : 74
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Sun, 07/13/08 9:48 PM
It looks like Matteo's Char-Grill in Fairfield is closed. The phone is disconnected and the website is down.

NYPIzzaNut
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Sun, 07/13/08 10:44 PM
I am frankly surprised he lasted as long as he did.

Ghaz
  • Total Posts : 79
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Mon, 07/14/08 12:52 AM
Speaking of websites, I notice that Jim Dandy's has recently updated their website:

http://www.jimdandybbq.com/

I really need to get up there some time as I've been craving some good BBQ and it's not too far out of the way for me.

dlawson
  • Total Posts : 237
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Mon, 07/14/08 9:20 AM
quote:
Originally posted by jjjrfoodie

Aurthur's, Zips and now Terry's Turf Club are my go-to's for a burger fix these day. You know of somewhere in Northern KY that is equal or better for burgers and I'll give it a go as I live 2 blocks from the river. LMK.

I haven't been to Terry's yet, but the Wednesday night "dollar burgers" at Bar Louie at the Levee are as good as Arthur's or Zip's, in my opinion. The "dollar" is a bit of a misnomer since that only gets you meat, bun, and lettuce (and no fries). Additional toppings are between $0.25 and $0.50, but I can build a nice bacon cheeseburger with grilled onions, chipotle mayo, and their excellent olive mix for under $3.00. If you go between 5:00 and 7:00 PM or after 10:00 PM, all draught beers are $2.50. They did recently jack up the prices on fries and tater tots (from $1.99 to $3.49), probably to avoid jacking up the prices on the burgers and alienating customers, so that is a bit disappointing. The fries and tots are both large enough to cover two people, however.

There are a few caveats about the atmosphere. First, it's loud. Second, it's often packed, especially if there's a Reds game or a Wednesday "after work" concert downtown. Third, some sections can be a bit smoky.

Keep in mind that I don't particularly like paying full price for a burger these days since several places run specials, so I don't go to Bar Louie unless it's Wednesday, and I don't go to Arthur's unless it's one of the "Burger Madness" days.

Alco251
  • Total Posts : 74
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Tue, 07/15/08 12:06 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Ghaz

Speaking of websites, I notice that Jim Dandy's has recently updated their website:

I see they also took that opportunity to raise their prices (ouch). Good thing the food is so good.

Ghaz
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Tue, 07/15/08 1:36 AM
With the way food prices have been lately, I'm sure they didn't have much of a choice. Their prices are still comparable (or better) than places like Applebee's, etc. with better food to boot.

TJ Jackson
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Tue, 07/15/08 1:24 PM
Went to the[url='http://www.myfountainsquare.com/market']Market on The Square[/url] today and got to sample the Belgian Waffles from "Taste of Belgium" that have been much buzzed about recently, and indeed, tho not made to order, they are very, very good. I had a smaple of the plain only, and did not order a whole one because they had did not have my preferred topping (strawberries) at the time.

I did get a whole wheat crepe with ham and gruyere, which is made in front of you, and it was pretty good.

I'll go back next week for the "gryo" burgers from Cooking with Caitlin.

TJ Jackson
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Wed, 07/16/08 7:52 PM
After a late night of handling application support issues, I drove into Clifton to check out the steak and lemonade place.....you know......this one (sorta):
quote:

All Right Cincy People~

I do have something good to say about a small place called Cincy Steak and Lemonade (2607 Vine St. Short Vine). The only thing I've had here is the Chicago Italian Beef Sandwich. It may not be totally original, but the best Italian Beef sammich I've had in Cincy.

My first try I got the sausage and beef sammich. I didn't like the sausage. But my second try, I just ordered the beef, and it was comparable to the ones I had in Chicago. They ask you if you want it dipped. Of course I do. The buns are not authentic, but the giardiniera was pretty good. It was the closest thing I have come to, to Chicago Italian Beef sammiches in Cincinnati.
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Anyone know anything about the "steak and lemonade" place on Vine near 14th street?

I took the "steak" to mean "cheesesteak" based on the signage, which looked very new.
quote:

I wrote about this place somewhere here, I do believe. There are a few around town now. I wrote about the one on Short Vine St. in Corryville. I think they have cheesesteaks, but what I have eaten there is italian beef sandwiches, Chicago style. They are big, and dipped, if you wish. It may not be as good as Al's #1, but it is a good deal, with fries free with any sandwich. They have giardiniera and italian sausage. I think the owners may have Chicago roots.

The friendly owner (I did not get his name, sadly) was at the counter taking orders, and the first thing I asked him was about the "other" location down on Vine. He shook his head, and indicated that Baba G's was one of two "imitators" of his business, and the other one had been closed down after a court battle. I noted that the color scheme (bright blue and yellow) was nearly identical, and he agreed, but affirmed that his business and Baba G's on Vine were connected only by Baba G's attempt to copy his business.

The menu is a hodgepodge - cheesesteaks from Philly, italian beef, sausage, hot dogs, and pizza puffs from chicago, chess pie from the south, plus gyros, tacos, wings, hamburgers, etc etc etc......and whenever I see this kinda of diversification of menu I sortof assume nothing is going to be particularly good.

Mulling between a italian beef and a cheeseteak, I eventually settled on a cheesesteak and added a pizza puff, since I had never had one of these before. The cheesesteak was pretty unremarkable (the cheese was unmelted shreds - never seen that before outside a vending machine cheesesteak) and not worth further comment, except I can say that every sandwich includes a generous helping of well-spiced fries. The pizza puff was pretty good, making me think "this is what a tiny Geno's pizza roll wants to be when it grows up". Sorta. Here's a[url='http://www.iltaco.com/iltaco/PizzaPuff/FoodservicePizzaPuff/tabid/56/Default.aspx']link[/url] to a commercial producer of this item - the product was much like what is shown here, but less stuffed, flatter

More oddities - the owner says gyros are his biggest seller, and I could not find lemonade on the menu.....though an extensive selection of flavored slushies is prominently featured on the large menuboard.

I'll need to stop back for an italian beef on Soozy's say-so.

Ghaz
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Thu, 07/17/08 12:55 AM
According to Cincinnati.com the Bruster's / Nathan's Famous Hot Dogs is now open in Erlanger, KY.

arianej
  • Total Posts : 205
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Fri, 07/18/08 2:21 AM
I'm pretty sure I've mentioned them before, but one of my favorite places to eat after a trip to Jungle Jim's is Mike's Chili and Gyros. It's on 4 in Hamilton up the road from JJ's and not far from Sonic.

My husband usually gets a gyro and a cheese coney, I usually get a four way with onions or one of their 1/2 lb. burgers. I don't think Mike's counts as a chili parlor, per se, but I like their version of Cincinnati chili a lot. Tonight as a change from their jalapeno cheeseburger (good stuff!), I got the chili cheeseburger. It was so messy, I had to eat it with a knife and fork. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera with me, but I definitely thought of you guys while I ate it! ;)

soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Fri, 07/18/08 7:18 PM
Re: Steak & Lemonade in Clifton:

Wow, TJ, I assumed since the color scheme and menu items were the same, that the owners were the same. Sorry I made such an assumption.

I have not had the cheesesteak at the one on Vine Street, but I'm sure the meat they use for the Italian Beef is probably the same. The dip and giardniera was what made the Italian Beef sandwich for me.

I went by the Baba G's on East McMillan yesterday, and it was boarded up.

I went by there on the way to the Parkside Cafe, in the old Frisch's on East McMillan. It's a breakfast & lunch place, and I had heard good reviews about their breakfast. My daughter & son-in-law had run me on some errands, so I treated them to lunch. The first sign of trouble should have been the server not knowing any of the specials. They have a number of _______ of the day things {burger, quiche, soup & sandwich}, and she had to go find each out, one at a time. There was no burger or quiche of the day.

We ordered a "marinated chicken with provolone" sandwich, no garden; fish sandwich and fries; and mushroom swiss burger with onion rings. Sandwiches come with saratoga chips, but any thing else is an upcharge. A number of people who ordered after us were served before we were. The chicken came without provolone, and was rubbery and gristly. It had a strange "shine" to the meat, and by itself on the bun, looked anemic. But the saratoga chips were good. The fish & fries were lukewarm when served. The server didn't ask how I wanted my burger cooked & I didn't think about it until too late. Although it was medium well, it was not bad, although the burger wasn't very big and the mushrooms were canned. The onion rings were good. But the burger with onion rings and coke were over $10, and I have had better elsewhere for less.

The final bill for the three sandwiches and two drinks was just over $25, WITHOUT tip. I don't mind paying for good food, but for this lunch, I was disappointed. Maybe it was an off day. The server definitely added to our unpleasant experience, so I will have to go for breakfast & see if that's any better.

dlawson
  • Total Posts : 237
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Fri, 07/18/08 7:47 PM
A quick note on New Orleans To Go...two weeks ago, we were warned by the owner to call before stopping in, since she's been quite ill due to her pregnancy, and wasn't sure how often she would be able to make it up there to open the restaurant. I called both last Friday and today and got no answer, but decided to swing by today anyway. It was closed, with a sign in the window that said, "Closed due to medical emergency, will reopen at a later date." I hope it's nothing too serious.

jmckee
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Mon, 07/21/08 12:46 PM
A professional acquaintance of my wife's mentioned there's a Middle Eastern restaurant in Newtown now, and that carry-out is available.

I'm clueless -- has anybody heard of such a thing?

TJ Jackson
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Mon, 07/21/08 2:14 PM
Jack: There is an Indian restaurant called Indian Oven in Newtown, opened maybe a little less than a year ago, as far as I know

I have not been in there yet.

NYPIzzaNut
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Mon, 07/21/08 5:21 PM
Anyone been to:

East African restaurant moves

Emanu, the East African restaurant that's been in the works in Pleasant Ridge for many months, is now open. Working with the Gossamer Group, a Pleasant Ridge development group, the Mogos-Yhdego family has moved its tiny restaurant a block east into a completely renovated space. Emanu features traditional Ethiopian dishes that are served on injera, a thin, crepe-like sourdough bread. The menu includes wat (stews) and tibs (saut├ęs); vegetarian dishes based on chickpeas and lentils; as well as curried chicken, beef and lamb dishes. Emanu also serves Ethiopian coffee, and it will do an Ethiopian coffee ceremony by reservation. The new location also includes a bar. 6063 Montgomery Road, www.emanu.com, 513-351-7686

jmckee
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Tue, 07/22/08 2:36 PM
quote:

Jack: There is an Indian restaurant called Indian Oven in Newtown, opened maybe a little less than a year ago, as far as I know

I have not been in there yet.

Thanks. I may plunge in and give 'er a whirl.

My wife found out about it from a very reliable source.

Delilah77
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Tue, 07/22/08 3:50 PM
This is my first post after reading all 57 pages of the forum. I thought I'd offer up my opinions on some of the restaurants that have been mentioned but not reviewed or not mentioned.

I've eaten at Gajah Wong and while the food was good I found it a bit overpriced. My husband lived in Indonesia for a few years and found some of their food to be authentic while other dishes were Americanized. I'm glad we ate there but I doubt if I'd go back.

My favorite Mediterranean restaurant is Mirage. Located in a strip mall in Harper's Point it's a small place that is somewhat lacking in ambience but the food is consistently good. We discovered it the first week it opened and have been back many times. Since getting a good write up in The Enquirer it is harder to get a table on weekends so make a reservation. The food is plentiful and you'll find some different menu items than apppear at other Mediterranean restaurants in this area.

I read some good reviews of Taz on this site but after dining there two weeks ago I would not return. The service was terrible even though the restaurant was not crowded and there were plenty of servers. We were seated at a table next to a window with a mold problem, which was probably a health code violation. The food was served in huge portions, but the only difference in one dish to the next was the type of meat served (everything was served with onions, green peppers, and rice) and the level of dryness of the meat. I had a chicken shawirma which was so dry that it was difficult to swallow. My husband had Taz's Best and while it wasn't all as dried out as mine it all tasted vaguely the same.

Getting back to the best Indian Restaurant in Cincinnati debate I nominate Tandoor. It's in the Market Place in Montgomery. It is one of my favorite restaurants in Cincinnati and I like it much better than the Ludlow Avenue Indian restaurants. I haven't eaten at Cumin, but we have sent some Cumin fans to Tandoor and made converts out of them. They do allow you to choose the spice level of your dish so you can tailor it to your palate. I've tried almost everythig on the menu and I've never had a meal I didn't like. There are chicken, lamb, vegetarian, seafood, and tandoori specialties. The mulligatawny soup and vegetable samosa are wonderful. The portions are generous and the prices are reasonable. They also offer take out, and if you dine in you can easily find parking. Service is wonderful and the owners will always stop at the table to make sure you are enjoying your meal or to answer any questions you may have.

Now, I'll toss a question out for the forum. Where can you find the best soup in Cincinnati? I make all my soup at home from scratch so I'm quite picky about my soups, but love them.

TJ Jackson
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Tue, 07/22/08 4:18 PM
NPN: I think it *just* opened (as Emanu), per a mention by Polly in her blog, doubtful anyone has been there yet

Jack: cool, be sure to report back.

Delilah: Welcome to the forums :-) The only soup that I find consistently to my liking is unfortunately at a chain - the lobster bisque at Bravo's. Hopefully a better answer to two will come from one or more of the many contributors here.

Soozy: I was just on Eat McMillan myself this past weekend coming back from my first visit to Pomidori's (unimpressed) and also spotted the closed Baba G's 2. The 2 I guess means it opened after the one on Vine near 16th. In any case, that's the one the owner of Cincy Steak and Lemonade was referring to as having fought in court. All that said, a block later I spot heaven, or what appears to be: a Taco Casa location at the corner of Victory and McMillan? Be still my beating heart....I called Hyde Park and they confirmed it is one of theirs and has only been open a couple of months now

Delilah77
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Tue, 07/22/08 4:32 PM
We dined at the former Emanu several months ago. We got a platter that had a sampling of dishes on it. The wats and tibs were very good but neither my husband nor I liked the injera. In fact, the wobbly consistency of the bread was really disturbing and distracted from the meal. I had never had injera before and I don't know if all injera looks and tastes like that. We did discuss the seasoning with the owner and found that it was berbere which is an Ethiopian pepper.

If you are feeling adventerous you should give it a try.

NYPIzzaNut
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Tue, 07/22/08 4:43 PM
I particularly enjoy the soups at Decent Deli in Blue Ash. They alternate them daily but over the years I have found their following soups to be wonderful - either eaten there or as takeout items:

Sweet and Sour Cabbage Soup
Matzo Ball Soup
Chicken Noodle Soup
Beef Barley Soup

Their potato pancakes are to die for when fresh out of the fryer and their pastrami sandwiches are mighty good eats as well as the tableside offerings of kraut and dill pickle slices.

Euched
  • Total Posts : 33
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Tue, 07/22/08 9:21 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Delilah77

This is my first post after reading all 57 pages of the forum. I thought I'd offer up my opinions on some of the restaurants that have been mentioned but not reviewed or not mentioned.

I've eaten at Gajah Wong and while the food was good I found it a bit overpriced. My husband lived in Indonesia for a few years and found some of their food to be authentic while other dishes were Americanized. I'm glad we ate there but I doubt if I'd go back.

My favorite Mediterranean restaurant is Mirage. Located in a strip mall in Harper's Point it's a small place that is somewhat lacking in ambience but the food is consistently good. We discovered it the first week it opened and have been back many times. Since getting a good write up in The Enquirer it is harder to get a table on weekends so make a reservation. The food is plentiful and you'll find some different menu items than apppear at other Mediterranean restaurants in this area.

I read some good reviews of Taz on this site but after dining there two weeks ago I would not return. The service was terrible even though the restaurant was not crowded and there were plenty of servers. We were seated at a table next to a window with a mold problem, which was probably a health code violation. The food was served in huge portions, but the only difference in one dish to the next was the type of meat served (everything was served with onions, green peppers, and rice) and the level of dryness of the meat. I had a chicken shawirma which was so dry that it was difficult to swallow. My husband had Taz's Best and while it wasn't all as dried out as mine it all tasted vaguely the same.

Getting back to the best Indian Restaurant in Cincinnati debate I nominate Tandoor. It's in the Market Place in Montgomery. It is one of my favorite restaurants in Cincinnati and I like it much better than the Ludlow Avenue Indian restaurants. I haven't eaten at Cumin, but we have sent some Cumin fans to Tandoor and made converts out of them. They do allow you to choose the spice level of your dish so you can tailor it to your palate. I've tried almost everythig on the menu and I've never had a meal I didn't like. There are chicken, lamb, vegetarian, seafood, and tandoori specialties. The mulligatawny soup and vegetable samosa are wonderful. The portions are generous and the prices are reasonable. They also offer take out, and if you dine in you can easily find parking. Service is wonderful and the owners will always stop at the table to make sure you are enjoying your meal or to answer any questions you may have.

Now, I'll toss a question out for the forum. Where can you find the best soup in Cincinnati? I make all my soup at home from scratch so I'm quite picky about my soups, but love them.

I am sorry to hear about your experience at Taz, and a mold problem is disturbing... The last time I was there was a couple months ago and the food was very good and my service wasn't dry in the least. It is always sad when a good place goes downhill like that.

Delilah77
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Wed, 07/23/08 9:41 AM
NYPizzaNut, thanks for the Decent Deli suggestion. I've been there many times but I have never ordered soup. I don't know how that happened.

Delilah77
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Wed, 07/23/08 9:46 AM
Euched, next time you are in the mood for Mediterranean you should try Mirage. It's near Taz but a much more pleasant experience.

We were really surprised about Taz because we had heard many good reviews and that it was run by the same family who ran Mejana. We loved Mejana but I didn't see a whole lot of similarities between the two restaurants.

I am happy that Cincinnati is getting a greater selection of ethnic restaurants.

jjjrfoodie
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Wed, 07/23/08 10:25 AM
Well, I was in Dayton, OH last night on business and stopped at Troni's Pizza and Restaurant in Kettering/Beavertown as suggested on here and in the Dayton where to eat thread . Had a New York style pie with pepperoni and sausage and it did not disappoint. At all.

Since some of you get up that way , I thought I'd post here but do pics and menu and brief write-up on Dayton/Middletown thread.

Delilah77, welcome to the forum.

As for soup, my biggest hankereings are for the aforementioned mulligatawny soup at Tandoor India (i could eat a gallon of that stuff it is so good yet Varsha will not give me the recipe ) , the beef barley soup at izzy's and the wild mushoom and rice soup at Panera Bread Co.

Jerry
jjjrfoodie

Delilah77
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Wed, 07/23/08 3:44 PM
I love the Mulligatawny at Tandoor. Biagio's Bistro has wonderful soups, but really good homemade soups are difficult to find in this city.

Bonk
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Thu, 07/24/08 3:23 AM
Speaking of Izzy's, I see a lot of hate for the franchise (personally, I like the reubens and the potato pancakes there, but I'm not at all picky), so what is everyone's suggestion for the best reubens in the Cincinnati area?

That's one of my favorite sandwiches, so I'd love to hear others' takes and sample different places.

vudutu
  • Total Posts : 23
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Thu, 07/24/08 11:36 AM
This is my first post after reading all 57 pages of the forum.

WOW you read all 57 pages, I am impressed, welcome.

Delilah77
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Thu, 07/24/08 1:09 PM
Thanks, vudutu. I found the site while doing a search for the best fish and chips in Cincinnati. I read several pages and decided that if I was going to register that I had better read the entire thread. I took several days to do so but I made it.

A while back someone asked about The Echo in Hyde Park. I lived in Cincinnati as a small child and my grandparents ate at The Echo every Saturday. When they babysat I got to go with them. A few weeks ago my husband and I decided to grab dinner there. It was very much as I remembered it. It's a good choice for diner/comfort food at reasonable prices.

vudutu
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Thu, 07/24/08 2:01 PM
quote:
Originally posted by vudutu

This is my first post after reading all 57 pages of the forum.

WOW you read all 57 pages, I am impressed, welcome.

Hummm quote did not work, sorry.

Ghaz
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Fri, 07/25/08 12:06 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Bonk

Speaking of Izzy's, I see a lot of hate for the franchise (personally, I like the reubens and the potato pancakes there, but I'm not at all picky), so what is everyone's suggestion for the best reubens in the Cincinnati area?

That's one of my favorite sandwiches, so I'd love to hear others' takes and sample different places.

It may not be authentic, but I really like the Reuben at Penn Station.

Speaking of Izzy's, I know they were planning on opening a new location in Florence this year. So far I've not seen any sight of it. Anybody have any news if it's still in the works or not?

brittneal
  • Total Posts : 1265
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Sun, 07/27/08 2:43 PM
We returned to the decent deli a while back. I miss the kraut, onions, picles and fresh horseradish on the table. We asked and she prought out a liner loaded with it all.
The potato pancakes are good fresh. They arent the real deal. Its some kind of potato batter deep fried into a huge pillow! They get greasy quick, tho.
My wife got the big CB and couldnt finish half while i had the 1/2 pastrami which was just perfect for me w/ the spud thinhie.
britt

BTW, how is it smoky at those places after a Reds game? Are people ignoring the smoking ban? If so...Good for you!!!!!

jjjrfoodie
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Sun, 07/27/08 7:42 PM
quote:
Originally posted by brittneal

BTW, how is it smoky at those places after a Reds game? Are people ignoring the smoking ban? If so...Good for you!!!!!

If refering to a restaurant located in Kentucky, then the smoking ban laws do not apply, which is my guess as to the OP comment.

I do not smoke nor do I care if those around me do. It really is that easy. :)

jjjrfoodie

Bonk
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Mon, 07/28/08 3:28 PM
Not that easy for me. The stuff smells terrible and study after study has concluded it's unhealthy for non-smokers, so I'm glad it's illegal in Ohio. Seriously, is it that hard to not smoke during a 30-minute meal?

Yeah, I know, sit in the non-smoking section, but I still smell it and it's very unappetizing. Canada has a restaurant smoking ban and all of the major U.S. cities have gone to it, so we all might as well get used to it.

Anyway, back on the subject, tried Fox & Hound in Mason on Mason-Montgomery Road on Friday and Miguel's just west of Amelia on Saturday. We loved the food at both.

There's a Fox & Hound in Chicago near where I grew up, and I'd always gone for the beer but never the food. We split the Godfather Melt appetizer, which was an unusual but delightful combination of chicken, tons of mozzarella, Pomodoro sauce and pesto. I like pesto but I don't love it, but this pesto had a lot of garlic and was absolutely tremendous.

I had a Philly Cheesesteak, which I realize isn't very traditional, but it was very good. Lots of meat, peppers, mushrooms and cheese were good, and excellent horseradish sauce on the side.

My girlfriend had the Voodoo Jerk Firecrackers even though she doesn't like really spicy foods. They were a little spicy but not too much so. I liked them, and the sauce had sort of a Parmesan and garlic flavor.

The one major drawback was the service. We sat at the bar, and even though they had two bartenders, neither was very attentive. They were slow refilling drinks, and my ultimate pet peeve at restaurants is when servers don't write food orders down and then screw them up, which happened with my cheesesteak. I specifically emphasized the words "without onions" on my cheesesteak, and I got them anyway and had to send it back. She said she didn't remember me saying that (that's why you write orders down, genius).

Then we had to wait more than five minutes for our check even though I put my credit card in the little cup that had the tab. Then when they swiped my card, I didn't get a breakdown of the bill. I tipped 15% almost to the penny, and I never tip that low.

My suggestion is to get a table. There were plenty available when we went at 6:30 p.m. The place is pretty big, so I wouldn't imagine there'd be a wait too often.

I had two tall Hoegaardens with dinner, and the bill was $38. Not bad at all.

Here's the site link for the menu:

http://www.tentcorp.com/menulocal.html

We had a taste for Mexican food on Saturday, so we went to Miguel's with two of our friends. They told me the former chef of El Coyote in Anderson Twp. opened the place.

Right away I knew I was going to like it when they brought out chips and salsa. The salsa had chunks of vegetables in it, including corn and black beans. It was extremely fresh.

I ordered a deep fried pepper jack pretzel for an appetizer, which we all shared. It was stuffed with cheese and came with queso. It was incredible -- all four of us agreed.

I got a huge pork burrito, and I actually finished it but only because I hadn't eaten since about 10 that morning. My girlfriend barely got through a quarter of her chimichanga, which came with the obligatory rice and refried beans. The portion was huge, and both sides were superb.

One of friends gave me a piece of his seafood burrito, and talk about delicious. All four of us were extremely satisfied with our meals.

The bill was $42, which I thought was more than fair considering the portions. Maybe a little more than some area restaurants serving the same food, but the portions and taste make up for it.

And the service was excellent.

The menu includes plenty of "safe" American food, too, so almost anyone can find something they like.

Here's the link:

http://www.miguelsmenu.com/

TJ Jackson
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Tue, 07/29/08 11:26 PM
Jack and everyone else: there is a new BBQ place on the edge Newtown closest to the soccer fields

Does anyone know anything about it?

I just passed it tonight on my way home, had the kids with me and we'd already eaten and it was late, so I did not stop

Bonk
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Wed, 07/30/08 6:12 AM
Really? On the west side of 32?

I may have to check that out soon...

vudutu
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Wed, 07/30/08 10:20 AM
Just a brief post, I have had a chance recently to sample food from four places recently and all were top notch. For a friends birthday we took a limo to Mesh and Hugo's for apps. At Mesh the deep fried potato apps with truffle oil were downright addicting. As a compatriot said "I could recreate those at home but I could never make enough, people would not stop eating them". The flat-bread was good also. The decor is stunning and Paul was a gracious host. The only low spot was the entertainment, the singer was OK but sleazy lounge music and a Christopher Cross tune drove us out of the place.

At Hugos we sampled every app dish on the menu, too many to recall here but they were all good, we will return.

Cumin was another outing, we left the ordering to Alex and the food was superb, this one was my birthday gift, I am glad I did not have to pay the bill!

Last was Matsuya, this IS the best sushi in town, hands down. Actually it's in NKY. Here I was happy to pay the bill, $40 each and worth every penny, if you like sushi and you have not been, go.

jmckee
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Wed, 07/30/08 11:15 AM
quote:

Jack and everyone else: there is a new BBQ place on the edge Newtown closest to the soccer fields

I just passed it tonight on my way home, had the kids with me and we'd already eaten and it was late, so I did not stop

I was unaware. Like, down near the car repair place and Turpin Farms? *sniffing the air, hoping to smell woodsmoke*

TJ Jackson
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Wed, 07/30/08 11:44 AM
It is on the end of town closest to where 32 terminates into the Beechmont Levee.

It is on 32

I do not know the name of the place - I was unable to catch it as I went by

NYPIzzaNut
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Wed, 07/30/08 1:09 PM
http://www.buycincy.com/flavor/2008/07/emanu-the-best-new-restaurant.html

Emanu: The best new restaurant in Cincinnati
By Stepfanie Romine on July 20, 2008 5:55 PM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBacks (0)
I take photos of food the way some people take photos of their kids. Every new dish I make or eat is recorded for future blogging purposes, and my boyfriend is now trained to pause before digging in when we sit down to dinner or are served at a restaurant.

Sometimes, however, food is so good that I simply forget to bring out the camera. Friday night was one of those cases.

Emanu, the much-anticipated East African/Ethiopian restaurant, in Pleasant Ridge has opened. Get there soon--because as soon as the word gets out, this place is going to be packed!

What is it?

Emanu opened some time last week, and you can tell they hoped to have a slow first couple of weeks. Some of the tables, while set with white linen, were still covered in plastic. A few decorative branches lingered in a corner, with the Ikea tags still attached. And with no liquor license yet, the bar served as a storage space.

Tough luck for the owners: The place is already a hit. The two servers were completely overwhelmed on Friday night, and a couple of diners walked out because they waited 10 minutes to get menus. Their loss--the food was amazing, and the service was great (although slow).

When I arrived at 6 p.m., I was one of three diners. By the time my friends arrived 30 minutes later, three more tables of two had arrived. An hour and a half later, when we were finishing up our meal, both sides of the dining room were packed with a diverse crowd. A Bible study group of 20 took up most of the back dining room, and couples of all ages were in the front room.

According to a friend of mine who lives in Pleasant Ridge, Emanu's owners formerly ran a restaurant down the street, so their former customer base had been waiting impatiently for the (re)opening. I can see why. Emanu is family owned and operated, and the food is amazing. During my half-hour wait for my friends (I mixed up our reservation time), I had time to linger over the menu and an Ethiopian coffee (at $1.50, it's thick and rich, served like Turkish coffee but tasting as fine as an Italian espresso.). Co-owner Sam Yhdego chatted with me for awhile and seemed thoroughly shocked that they were so busy on Friday. The two-page menu thankfully came with translations and descriptions, because I've only eaten Ethopian once a long time ago when I still ate meat. The menu offers three vegetarian stews (wats) and two varieties of beef, lamb and chicken: a wat and a tibs (saute).

We had one each of the vegetarian dishes: collard greens, lentils and cabbage each sauteed with spices and served on injara (the sour crepelike bread that's ubiquitous in Ethiopian and Eritrean cuisine). Served family style on a large platters and extra injara, the dishes were spicy but not hot -- and affordable. For three of us, with appetizers, entrees and dessert, our bill was less than $50! Our other two friends shared two meat dishes and spent about the same per person. The food was amazing, and I was so distracted that I forgot to take a photo!

We planned ahead and brought our own wine--three bottles of it. Few other diners were in the know and looked longingly at our wine. Another word of warning: Emanu's credit card system hadn't been set up last weekend. It's cash-only--but there's an ATM across the street if you forget.

Who's it for?

Anyone who, like me, is tired of the same ethnic food options in Cincinnati. Take a group of friends and make a night of it. Eat Ethiopian style, with your right hand, using bits of injara to scoop up the tasty stews.

How much?

Appetizers: all are $3

Try the sambussas, fried meat or veggie filled dumplings that reminded us of samosas. The vegetable soup was hearty, dotted with pasta and rich in cumin. Get it!

Entrees: $9-$11

Get a couple and share.

Desserts: Baklava and cheesecake, each $3. They don't seem to be homemade, but the vanilla bean cheesecake was tasty (the baklava was good but not outstanding). And for $3, the price can't be beat!

Finish the meal with Ethiopian coffee: $1.50.

Where is it?

6063 Montgomery Road, Pleasant Ridge.

513 351-7686

Our lunchbunch is going there tomorrow - will let you know what we think shortly.

NYPIzzaNut
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Wed, 07/30/08 1:15 PM
quote:

Does anyone have its name and address?

Sounds like it is by the golf driving range?

TJ Jackson
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Thu, 07/31/08 2:27 PM
Chipotle is coming to downtown! :-)

I don't like many chains, but this is one of the few I really do like. I've given Javier's and Burrito Joes multiple chances to impress, but they rarely if ever have.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080731/BIZ01/307310064/1076/NLETTER04&source=nletter-business

Supposedly, it will be right next to Rockbottom on Fountain Square - date of opening not disclosed

soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Thu, 07/31/08 5:58 PM
quote:
Originally posted by NYPIzzaNut

quote:

Does anyone have its name and address?

Sounds like it is by the golf driving range?

I drove through Newtown today. If you are going east on RT. 32 from Beechmont Ave., it is on your right just as you go into Newtown. It is past the driving range. The sign said "32 BBQ". It had signs for ice cream. I saw no smoke, but I didn't stop.

Ghaz
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Fri, 08/1/08 1:26 AM
quote:

Chipotle is coming to downtown! :-)

I saw this announced on the evening news and I knew you'd be happy about it. Chipotle is one of my favorites as well.

I just read the review for Kyojin Japanese Buffet on Cincinnati.com and was wondering if anybody has dined there. I enjoy sushi but it's not something I get to indulge in too often due to my budget, so an all-you-can-eat buffet with the variety of sushi they supposedly have is very tempting (even if it's 30 miles one way). Is it worth the trip?

http://cinweekly.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080729/ENT0103/807300313

Sandy Thruthegarden
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Fri, 08/1/08 6:49 AM
quote:

Last was Matsuya, this IS the best sushi in town, hands down. Actually it's in NKY. Here I was happy to pay the bill, $40 each and worth every penny, if you like sushi and you have not been, go.

I have to second you on Matsuya. BillC and I have been going there since the place was opened, and it remains our favorite Japanese restaurant, and one of our top restaurants overall. In addition to dining in the restaurant, we regularly get carry-out sushi dinners. The quality is always excellent.

drksuh
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Mon, 08/4/08 10:42 PM
I ate in Kyojin and the buffet with sushi is very good. There is a variety of sushi and everything seems very hygienic. The seafood is relatively fresh. They even have shrimp tempura on the buffet. The seaffood hot and sour soup is good. They even have premium hand dipped ice cream including exotic Asian flavors like Red Bean and Green Tea. I give it 3 1/2 out of 4 stars.

drksuh
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Mon, 08/4/08 10:47 PM
Asian Wok near Krogers on Mason Montgomery Road toward Mason has excellent inexpensive Chinese food. As an Asian, I think there is nothing worse than bad Chinese food. This place is good. The key is that they cook it after you order it in a wok, so everything is piping hot. I really like the Bourbon Chicken, and my wife likes the Garlic Shrimp. The Egg Drop Soup is only $1.25 and the Hot and Sour Soup is only $1.75 and both are good and hot. Good and inexpensive...works for me.

NYPIzzaNut
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Mon, 08/4/08 11:55 PM
quote:
Originally posted by drksuh

Asian Wok near Krogers on Mason Montgomery Road toward Mason has excellent inexpensive Chinese food. As an Asian, I think there is nothing worse than bad Chinese food. This place is good. The key is that they cook it after you order it in a wok, so everything is piping hot. I really like the Bourbon Chicken, and my wife likes the Garlic Shrimp. The Egg Drop Soup is only $1.25 and the Hot and Sour Soup is only $1.75 and both are good and hot. Good and inexpensive...works for me.
Do you know if they offer pad thai or singapore mai fun?

drksuh
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Wed, 08/6/08 5:03 PM
No, NY Pizza Nut, they only serve Chinese food. But it is good!

NYPIzzaNut
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Wed, 08/6/08 7:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by drksuh

No, NY Pizza Nut, they only serve Chinese food. But it is good!
Many Chinese places serve Pad Thai and do it better than many Thai restaurants. Singapore Mai Fun is a dish you see at most Chinese restaurants.

I like my Pad Thai spicy and hot and I can find that from some Chinese places but every Thai restaurant I have had it at ruins it by making it sweet.

westsider12
  • Total Posts : 131
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Fri, 08/8/08 11:50 AM
quote:

City BBQ rocks, go, this has to be one of the best bangs for the buck out there. We went out to Kenwood Thursday night to pick up our new iPhones, hit City BBQ after to celebrate. This was not a good idea. Try to keep your hands off your new toy with BBQ sauce up to your elbows. BUT it was so good we managed. Some one on one of these BBQ posts, perhaps Terry, said "It's about the meat" they were right. City's comes sans sauce, it's good and lot's of it. We did the deluxe sampler, 27 bucks with a couple of Lone Stars and we brought home lunch for two, a deal. Their sauce did not do much for us, way sweet, not enough savory, we cut it with the vinegar sauce to get by. We will bring our own next time, we are working on a killer quart jar of sauce from Lulling Texas. It came from a friend in Rabbit Hash via his mother. Locally we kind of like the sauce at Walt's Hitching Post, 3300 Madison Pike Covington, KY. We are pretty sure it has coffee in it.

Totally agree. For chain food, this place is very good. I have not been disappointed with anything I've had there.

Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > >> | Showing page 26 of 54, messages 1501 to 1560 of 3222