AnsweredHot!WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Page: << < ..2627282930.. > >> Showing page 26 of 111
Author
tpd
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/06/04 21:16:55 (permalink)
If you do get to Milillo's on Main in Hamilton make sure to get a steak sandwich there too. You can see the place from the front yard of the house where I grew up so we ordered from there a lot. I've always been partial to their steak sandwich vs. Richard's. I'd be interested to get the opinion of someone who's judgment wasn't shaded by childhood memories. BTW the Milillo's in Fairfield was run by a different part of the family after a falling out back in the 70's. My mom worked with one of the folks from the Main St. part of the clan. I don't think either is still run by members of the family but I could be wrong.

If you're in the neighborhood you could do worse than stop by the Chinese Lantern which is right down the street. Very good food in a real restaurant setting, rather than a storefront. It's another Hamilton classic.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4608
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/06/07 00:29:28 (permalink)
Tried out Village Pizza, a tiny little carryout-only joint, very clean, fairly new, in Newtown.

Had high hopes because it was cheap, unique, and clearly locally owned, but the product is pretty mediocre. Not recommended. Ah well.

I hope to get back to Nicky's in Hebron after the trip and somehow convince them to make me a fresh mozz (only) pie.
westsider12
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 131
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/06/07 08:32:19 (permalink)
Looks like the Brazilian Steakhouse in Carew Tower is opening tomorrow (June 8th). It has been getting rave reviews for the one in Dallas. Might be something to try on a special occasion as I'm sure pricing will be high end.

http://www.boinabraza.com/WhatsNew/News/tabid/63/Default.aspx

Also, the Greek restaurant Mythos looks like it is opening another restaurant in the Chiquita Center, in addition to the one scheduled to open soon near Bruegger's downtown. Those will join the two in existence, one in Newport and one by the Aronoff.

http://cincinnati.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/stories/2007/05/21/story12.html
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/06/07 13:18:14 (permalink)
I had noticed that the new Mythos was opening on Vine as well - didn't know about the one at the Chiquita Center - and I had also noticed when passing that long lines regularly formed on the sidewalk outside the original downtown Mythos, so it was time to recheck them after finding their food substandard some years back.

It took about 20 minutes to get through the line, and I noted several people left rather than wait. They'd probably do hundreds of dollars more in business per day if they were able to increase the speed of their service. While I waited, I noted what I had not seen last time - actual spits for meat rather than precuts, and it was being hand sliced off the spindle. A good sign! However, as I got closer, it became quickly evident that the lady doing the cutting was filling warming pans - god only knows how long it sits in pans from cutting to serving.

I ended up with a regular gyro, tzakiki on the side and a tiro pita - greek cheeses baked into a phyllo crust. Mine was indeed built from meat in a pan, and not much of it, and as it turned out, lacked much flavor. The tiropita had clearly been baked the day before and had sat under a heat lamp for a while - the cheese filling was tasty, but one side was unpleasantly hard and dry.

As an aside: I hope I can provide a good review soon - I'm so tired of finding these mediocre places!
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 538
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/06/07 22:23:01 (permalink)
I tried a Mythos in Newport and thought it was so-so. Chicago Gyros in Clifton is my favorite gyros place in the city by far, but it doesn't have a parking lot, and I don't go there as often as I'd like because it's such a headache to get in and out.

By the way, Chambers next to Patoschnik's/Poppa Joe's closed last week. The security guard in the building said another place is coming in soon, and all of the tables are still equipped with napkin dispensers and ketchup bottles, which leads me to believe that's true.

Was going to try Poppa Joe's last Friday, and I left 15 minutes early to get there before they close at 6, but traffic was atrocious and I got there at 6:02.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/06/07 22:48:24 (permalink)
Bonk - have you been to Sebastian's in Western Hills?

Best gyro in town, imho

Marrakesh Cafe and Jordan Valley also have very good gyros

By the way, did you previously login here as Ephus? Haven't heard from Ephus in a while and he too was a regular at Patoshnik's
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/06/08 17:36:39 (permalink)
Thanks for the gyros tips. I'll definitely give those places a shot.

Just signed up here for the first time last week.
soozycue520
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1032
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/06/08 21:53:18 (permalink)
I don't know how long it has been closed {because I hadn't heard anything}, but I went by ZZ's Pizza, on Gilbert Ave. in Walnut Hills yesterday, and it had a "For Sale" sign on the building. I know it was in a "not so good" neighborhood, but they had good pizza. Another one bites the dust.
Suburban Dad
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/06/08 22:55:40 (permalink)
Finally made it Mongo's yesterday for lunch. Typically more than I normally spend and more than I normally eat for a lunch meal. 1 bowl is $8, 1 bowl and salad bar is $10 and unlimited bowls and salad bar is $12. Wanting to sample most everything there, I went unlimited. For those who have never been to a Mongolian BBQ, you fill a bowl with vegetables and meat and a seperate bowl with any sauce and seasonings you want to add to it then take both to the large circular grill where the food is prepared and handed back to you on a plate.

At lunch, meat choices included steak, chicken, shrimp, meatballs, kielbasa, andouille, crab, salmon, mahi mahi, lamb and scallops. Vegetables included potatoes, broccoli, mushrooms, pea pods, tofu, peppers, onions, beans, etc. There are over 15 different sauces as well as 10 or so seasonings. Also there were a couple of different pastas as well. At the table, you are given a bowl of steamed rice and tortillas.

I sampled pretty much every meat with 3 or 4 different sauces and a combination of seasonings and vegetables. Also tried the stuffed pepper soup that was on the salad bar. Must say, everything was great. Especially like the steak, lamb and kielbasa. There were a group of 8 of us who tried the place and the consensus was overall positive. The only negative I heard was one gentleman(picky at that) thought his food was either overcooked(burned) or cook on a part of the grill that hadn't been cleaned well enough between cookings and thus his food tasted burnt. Some of the people who aren't as big of eaters also seemed to think the price was a little steep for 1 bowl and salad at lunch. I would tend to agree with the last statement and suggest spending the extra $2 for unlimited so you can get smaller portions, yet sample many different flavors.

By the way, noticed Fuddruckers had closed on Fields Ertel, not a surprise as the place was never busy the couple times I was in there. Although I must admit, I did enjoy adding my own toppings to what I thought was a decent burger.

dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 249
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/06/09 18:11:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by soozycue520

I don't know how long it has been closed {because I hadn't heard anything}, but I went by ZZ's Pizza, on Gilbert Ave. in Walnut Hills yesterday, and it had a "For Sale" sign on the building. I know it was in a "not so good" neighborhood, but they had good pizza. Another one bites the dust.

Sandy, it's been gone for at least a few weeks. I took the scenic route from downtown to Evanston about three weeks ago and noticed it was gone. I never did stop in, despite driving by it on a weekly basis during the summers when I used to host a show on WAIF.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/06/09 18:21:35 (permalink)
dlawson = gene galvin :-)

ZZ's has been gone a few years. A great loss to the pizza loving community in Cincinnati

The Pot Pie Man was profiled on the news recently
Story: http://www.local12.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=d827919c-ad45-4f3f-8d41-b7c9e6927787
Video Clip: http://www.local12.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoId=17874
dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 249
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/06/09 20:58:18 (permalink)
TJ - Ha, no. :) Just a summer programmer who decided to make use of his unintentionally large collection of Canadian artists for a few years. I wasn't able to do it this year or last year due to prior commitments and travel arrangements, though. Maybe I'll be back in 2008.
soozycue520
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1032
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/06/11 09:57:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

ZZ's has been gone a few years. A great loss to the pizza loving community in Cincinnati

TJ~
Are you sure that it has been a few years? My SO worked at Ohio Check Cashers on Gilbert and McMillan, and brought me home a ZZ's pizza less than a year ago.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/06/11 15:22:58 (permalink)
Hmm...I had heard this news at least 2 years ago....maybe they decided to give it another go for a while and I missed that......I don't doubt the truth of what you are saying :-)

In any case, same sad bottom line.....a great independently operated cincinnati pizzeria gone and done.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/06/17 07:42:04 (permalink)
Tried the Poppa Joe's place finally.

My problem with chicken wing places is it's hard to get full. I spent five bucks on three full wings, which came with fries and a drink, and I was hungry two hours later.

But...I really liked the wings, and the cajun fries were equally above average. The chicken had a great blend of spices in its breading.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/06/18 10:22:43 (permalink)
The wife let me pick where I wanted to have dinner at for Fther's Day, and so I drove us up to Hotdogginit.

The wife and I both had an Italian Beef, and it was good, but not up to the Mr Beef standard.....more salty, less garlickly. Guardinera was available, and the wife tried it, but did not like it. The roll was too much....like they felt they needed a thicker rather than a chewewier roll to stand up to the au jus. I was a little puzzled that a mix of sauteed bell pepper and onion was available as a standard option.....I recall several folks from Chicago decrying my choice to add onion to my beef on my Chicago trip a few years back :-)

The wife and kids also enjoyed something called a "Wunderbar" which I hadn't heard of before....frozen cheesecake covered in dark chocolate on a stick. Not bad.

I'll be back for the char dogs and a polish, and the wife for italian sausage, at some future date.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/06/19 10:12:24 (permalink)
I happened to be in Hamilton during late dinner hours yesterday evening, so I made two stops: one at Jolly's drivein for a root beer (primo!) and then on the way to Richard's Pizza on Rt4, I discovered a Sonic that hadn't been there the last time I came through, maybe two years back. I know, Sonic is a big chain and it ain't Roadfood, but I had never been to a Sonic (we have only 2 I know of in the Cincinnati area, and both -- Hamilton and Maineville -- are well away from where I live and work) and wanted to at least check it out once.

After getting through the clumsy outdoor ordering system, I snagged a double cheeseburger and a cherry limeade. The limeade was very, very good but the cheeseburger was out-freakin-standing. Just wonderful. Greasy, flavorful, great toppings, best bakery bun I have ever had at a fast food hamburger joint. I'd have to say this was probably the best fast food hamburger I have ever had, top 5 at worst.

Have any of you more norther-ly located Cincinnatians been there? I know I read comments on Mason, Fairfield, and Hamilton here occasionally.....
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/06/19 18:00:09 (permalink)
Haven't done Sonic, mainly because I'm a fan of Culver's and usually stop there when I'm in Hamilton or Mason. Again, not RoadFood, but pretty frickin' good burgers for a fast-food chain.

The cheese curds are an excellent side item with a burger.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/06/19 20:26:59 (permalink)
I've been to that Culver's, and the Soniuc Burger blew it away in terms of taste and quality....I'm not downing Culver's, I'm just saying it was that good......give it a try.....

arianej
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 205
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/06/19 20:31:22 (permalink)
Yeah, that Sonic on Route 4 is relatively new, just within the past year or so, I think. I've never been to one, but it's on my list of stuff to do this summer because I hear so much about the cherry limeade. :)

We were just at Richard's last week for the steak sandwich. I like mine with cheese, pickles, original sauce, grilled onions and mushrooms. Good stuff!
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/06/19 20:43:26 (permalink)
Tonight, after years of planning on eventually going there, I finally made it. My daughters were greatly dismayed that instead of going to their beloved Gold Star for Kid's night (Daddy! Daddy! they have BALLOONS!) we were headed to Mr Herb's in Hebron

It had gotten such a buildup here from a few Cincinnati RF'ers that I think my expectations were set too high, but I did indeed like it. Well enough that I am recommending a full-famly return visit.

It certainly is a roadfood-worthy location, the building looks like it has been there 50 years or more, easily, and many of the clientele could well have eaten there as children. I had the fish sandwich on dark rye, and paid with only a brief wince the extra charge for lettuce on my sandwich.....lettuce is extra? on a fish sandwich? c'mon :-). I opted out of the fries and onto the fried potatoes, which were classic diner-style flat disks, greasy, salted, crisped on the edges, wonderful. The fish itself wasn't bad, not as good as my expecations, but much better than average.

That same attention seemed lost on my kid's mac-n-cheese (not that they noticed, heh) which looked to be fresh out of the box. I saw other dishes delivered to other tables, and all the sides had that same hit-or-miss look to them, like some were prepared with love onsite and others straight from a can. Still, there was a great variety of sides to be had, many of the "country" or "southern" variety.

I don't often get dessert, but the fried apple pies with honey and ice cream sounded pretty awesome, and it was.....but the portion was sized for a kid, the ice cream scoop no bigger than a ping pong ball. I almost asked the waiter to take it back as someone had clearly forgotten the ice cream. That said, what little there was proved to be quite tasty, as each shared a few bites of it.

I know what you're thinking....did TJ like this place or not? He says he did, but he's got lots of complaints......no, really, it was pretty good, but I think it is important that one be judicious in their choices here, choosing house specialities versus things that just happen to be on the menu. Put off ordering til you see some other diners served, and ask your server what's good that night. Stop by and you'll see why as a Roadfood member, this is the kind of place you will want to like from the moment you arrive.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/06/20 14:00:10 (permalink)
Langano, the Ethiopian restaraunt downtown on 6th near elm that I wrote on about a year ago, has closed. No idea how long they have been closed, as I do not get over there often.

I went to Cafe Marrekesh (8th and Elm) for the second time, and sat down this time. Had the gyro combo (gyro, fires or fruit, and a drink for 4.99) and was once again very pleased with the gyro - arguably a bit better than the one at Jordan Valley, possibly because they have the ability to lightly grill the pita before serving.

The place was almost full at 12:45, good to see for a small cafe on the edge of town that has not been open long.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/06/20 16:44:17 (permalink)
quote:

I've been to that Culver's, and the Soniuc Burger blew it away in terms of taste and quality....I'm not downing Culver's, I'm just saying it was that good......give it a try.....

Wow, I guess I'll have to try that Sonic then :)
Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/06/20 19:37:44 (permalink)
quote:

Tonight, after years of planning on eventually going there, I finally made it. My daughters were greatly dismayed that instead of going to their beloved Gold Star for Kid's night (Daddy! Daddy! they have BALLOONS!) we were headed to Mr Herb's in Hebron

It had gotten such a buildup here from a few Cincinnati RF'ers that I think my expectations were set too high, but I did indeed like it. Well enough that I am recommending a full-famly return visit.

It certainly is a roadfood-worthy location, the building looks like it has been there 50 years or more, easily, and many of the clientele could well have eaten there as children. I had the fish sandwich on dark rye, and paid with only a brief wince the extra charge for lettuce on my sandwich.....lettuce is extra? on a fish sandwich? c'mon :-). I opted out of the fries and onto the fried potatoes, which were classic diner-style flat disks, greasy, salted, crisped on the edges, wonderful. The fish itself wasn't bad, not as good as my expecations, but much better than average.

That same attention seemed lost on my kid's mac-n-cheese (not that they noticed, heh) which looked to be fresh out of the box. I saw other dishes delivered to other tables, and all the sides had that same hit-or-miss look to them, like some were prepared with love onsite and others straight from a can. Still, there was a great variety of sides to be had, many of the "country" or "southern" variety.

I don't often get dessert, but the fried apple pies with honey and ice cream sounded pretty awesome, and it was.....but the portion was sized for a kid, the ice cream scoop no bigger than a ping pong ball. I almost asked the waiter to take it back as someone had clearly forgotten the ice cream. That said, what little there was proved to be quite tasty, as each shared a few bites of it.

I know what you're thinking....did TJ like this place or not? He says he did, but he's got lots of complaints......no, really, it was pretty good, but I think it is important that one be judicious in their choices here, choosing house specialities versus things that just happen to be on the menu. Put off ordering til you see some other diners served, and ask your server what's good that night. Stop by and you'll see why as a Roadfood member, this is the kind of place you will want to like from the moment you arrive.

TJ,

I'm glad you gave Mr. Herb's a try. I really enjoy the fish we've gotten there. I think that the menu may be a little too ambitious and they might be better off concentrating on their strengths instead of trying to offer everything. I like your comment that it "is the kind of place you will want to like from the moment you arrive." Those were my thoughts too.
ghcornwell
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 48
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/06/21 10:09:08 (permalink)
I would adamantly disagree that Sonic burgers best those at Culvers. Sonic is good, though sometimes the cheesy tater tots dont quite live up to billing. The limeades are excellent, but make sure you got what you ordered before you pull away. Been burned a number of times on this at various Sonics.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/06/21 10:42:55 (permalink)
Well, I know that on that particular night that particular cheeseburger (notably the only one I have eve eaten at a Sonic, as that was my first ever stop at a Sonic) was a quantum leaps better than the 3-4 cheeseburger I have eaten at the two local Culver's locations.

I'll freely admit that I have only been to one Sonic and two Culvers, ever, and both are located in the Cincinnati area. I've never been to any other Sonic or Culvers locations. I don't know if their are quality variations by region or franchisee - not enough experiences to evaluate.

I'll wait to see if other locals check it out, and hear what thy have to say.
westsider12
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 131
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/06/22 08:34:56 (permalink)
Cadillac Ranch, on the corner of 6th and Walnut, has opened. It is hard to miss as they have a large, baby blue Caddy sitting over the top of the entrance. Looks like a nice place for happy hour or drinks outside as there is a large patio with lots of tables and chairs.

Although it is not a roadfood joint per se, it looks intriguing. Also, I found some coupons online in case anyone wanted to give it a try. Not sure when they expire, but if you're headed that way it is worth a shot.

http://www.cincinnati.com/sponsors/cadillac_ranch/

Some work folk and I will probably wander over next week once they work some of the kinks out and have a chance to strecth their legs a bit. If someone makes it sooner than that, I'd love to hear an update.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/06/22 09:41:02 (permalink)
The Enquirer reviewed Hot Doggin' It in today's issue:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20070622/ENT01/706220328/
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/06/24 04:04:14 (permalink)
Tried the Bourbon House and Pizzeria in Burlington with my girlfriend last night after reading about the deep dish pizza in The Enquirer. We had the fried pickles as an appetizer and a three-meat (pepperoni, sausage, and bacon) deep dish pizza.

The pickles were outstanding, and only $3.25 for five spears. We got the medium deep dish for like $18, and it was excellent, not to mention I'll have enough left over to last me all week. I somehow managed to eat two pieces. My girlfriend couldn't finish one.

They sprinkled parmesan on the crust, which I thought was a nice touch, and you could tell the cook was from Chicago because of the sausage. They must've gotten the sausage from back home because the spicy flavor was unmistakable.

Very good pie, and for Chicago transplants: They have 312 on draft! 312 is a wheat beer made by Goose Island, and they sell a 32 oz. for about $4.

Service was a little slow (it looked like one waitress was running the entire dining area), but not unreasonably so.

I'd recommend it pretty highly to Chicago transplants. The only drawback is most Chicago restaurants away from the windy city hang pictures, jerseys, and/or other memorabilia (like Hotdogginit), and here they definitely want you to remember you're in the Cincinnati area.
tpd
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/06/24 16:32:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bonk

Very good pie, and for Chicago transplants: They have 312 on draft! 312 is a wheat beer made by Goose Island, and they sell a 32 oz. for about $4.

Service was a little slow (it looked like one waitress was running the entire dining area), but not unreasonably so.

I think the local Goose Island distributor is pushing 312... My regular after work watering hole, The Edgewood Tavern, has it on draft. And thats a place with just 6 handles. I have also seen it on 1 of 4 taps at Shakey's on 42 in Florence. Good beer. I normally switch it up between 312 and Shiner at Edgewood.
Page: << < ..2627282930.. > >> Showing page 26 of 111
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1