AnsweredHot!WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Page: << < ..2627282930.. > >> Showing page 27 of 56
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/08 12:41:55
quote:
Originally posted by westsider12

quote:
Originally posted by vudutu

City BBQ rocks, go, this has to be one of the best bangs for the buck out there. We went out to Kenwood Thursday night to pick up our new iPhones, hit City BBQ after to celebrate. This was not a good idea. Try to keep your hands off your new toy with BBQ sauce up to your elbows. BUT it was so good we managed. Some one on one of these BBQ posts, perhaps Terry, said "It's about the meat" they were right. City's comes sans sauce, it's good and lot's of it. We did the deluxe sampler, 27 bucks with a couple of Lone Stars and we brought home lunch for two, a deal. Their sauce did not do much for us, way sweet, not enough savory, we cut it with the vinegar sauce to get by. We will bring our own next time, we are working on a killer quart jar of sauce from Lulling Texas. It came from a friend in Rabbit Hash via his mother. Locally we kind of like the sauce at Walt's Hitching Post, 3300 Madison Pike Covington, KY. We are pretty sure it has coffee in it.

Totally agree. For chain food, this place is very good. I have not been disappointed with anything I've had there.

Gonna disagree. Only had it once, but found it wanting.

Dry meat. Little smoke flavor. Bland, lackluster sides.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/08 12:53:08
If you want great rib tips and ribs and all that go with them I would recommend highly:

http://www.cincinnatiusa.com/Dining/detail.asp?RestID=8003

Sister's Restaurant

Soul Food
Price
Under $10
Attire
Casual
Lovely atmosphere, colorful, clean, enjoyable, and family friendly.

Sister's is a soul food haven, with rib tips, salmon, chicken wings, catfish, talapia, whiting, and a slew of sides-collard greens, candied yams, potato salad, cole slaw, and mac 'n' cheese. Try the triple chocolate cake or the lemon cake for dessert.

Features:
Alcohol free
Cash only
Catering
Family friendly
Reservations accepted
Smoke free
Specialty desserts
Take-out offered
When You Go

Cincinnati, OH 45224
Get Directions

Hours
9 a.m.-4 p.m. Tuesday-Wednesday; 9 a.m.-8 p.m. Thursday-Saturday.

Price
Under $10

Attire
Casual

More Info
Phone: 513-542-1400

Ghaz
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/09 01:30:44
quote:

Locally we kind of like the sauce at Walt's Hitching Post, 3300 Madison Pike Covington, KY. We are pretty sure it has coffee in it.

You know you can now pick up their sauce at Remke's Markets in NKY?
winemedineme
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/11 19:02:54
drsukh-- we call that "Cheap Chinese" at my office, but really it's some of the best Chinese I've had around here. Very fresh, not greasy, and good price. I usually get the Teriyaki.

I'm sorry Vudutu's post about City Barbecue got deleted. He has a good point-- though it's chain fare (a small chain, though, I tend to give them a chance, unlike a Ruby Tuesday's or Applebee's or whatever), it is darn good barbecue.

Tink's menu just changed-- I wrote a review on my blog. Awesome shrimp and grits, pretty good fried green tomatoes, killer dulce de leche mousse. I was very pleasantly surprised.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/11 19:10:49
quote:
Originally posted by winemedineme

I'm sorry Vudutu's post about City Barbecue got deleted

Thats odd....nothing bad in the post, wonder why it was deleted?

Ah well.
winemedineme
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/11 19:54:33
I'm not sure. I guess people get worked up about barbecue. :)
Ghaz
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/12 01:16:12
Well, you can delete your own replies (see the trashcan icon above your reply) so maybe that's what happened.
vudutu
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/13 17:20:21
I noticed it was missing too, don't know what happened, must be vudu.
Alco251
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/13 23:52:49
The Glendale Pub has gone downhill markedly in the last few months. I would no longer recommend it after three disastrous visits in the last two weeks. The service has become horrendous, the wait staff no longer bothers with specials and never knows anything about the beer. They are running out of food, sometimes by 7:00 p.m., they were out of DRAFT BEER one night last week. If you order an appetizer it shows up with your meal if at all. I could go on, but you get the point. Unless there is a major turnaround, they won't make it to winter, which is a shame for a place that had such promise.
westsider12
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/14 08:54:05
Has anyone been to Garzelli's Pizza and Grinder's? I won a free pizza there, but the only places in town are a 30 min. drive from me and I am wondering if it is worth it. Any insight would be helpful.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/14 09:33:34
As my asian food kick continues, I have visited Oiental Wok on Buttermilk Pike in Ft Mitchell a couple of times now, and it is easily my new favorite chinese spot in town. The prices are about double for what you'd pay at a typical carryout joint, but the quality is outstanding and the ambience inside is eclectic and (as my 7 year old daughter put it) "like a palace".

All very good to excellent: mu shu pork, pepper steak, spring roll, sweet and sour chicken (the wife always orders this), pan fried dumplings, steamed pork bun, steak on a stick, rangoons. Our second trip was at lunch last Sunday and they offered a buffet that included a custom stir fry station, and my wife said her stir fry was one of the best asian dishes she had ever eaten. I was thrilled that my kids liked the chicken lo mein (one kids sized portion is enough for two young kids, or one normally hungry adult) as this is the first chinese dish they have both liked.

Nice: steamed rice is free with any meal, as much as you want. Just ask your waiter for more rice to go with your meal. It is brought out in a small covered bowl

Not so good: the chicken-based egg roll is very dry and kind of tasteless

Service: the owner was ever present and very engaging on both visits. He has a lot of Olympic-themed decorations up, and has even added a temporary olympic menu as he celebrates the Olympics being held in China. On our second trip, the waiter brought out two freebies - a mild broth soup and a pair of very small but very strong pear-liqoured cocktails. Very, very nice.

Ambience: White tablecloths on every table, with bright red cloth napkins. A pair of reproductions of the famous "terra cotta warriors" guard the entry area. A dragon costume glares down from above the entrance. There is a rickshaw (my daughters were vey curious about this, and I showed them how it worked) near the entry doors, and another towards the back of the restaurant. An elaborate "emperor's robe" is displayed in the waiting area. There are fish pools, live bamboo, and other nice pieces of art scattered about the place. I recommend the half-moon shaped booths on the raised section towards the back of the restaurant, gives a great view of the interior.

What I look forward to next time: they do have a full dim sum menu, but did not have the baked pork bun on either visit. The waiter went on and on about how good the baked pork bun is, and I told him "you're killing me!" :-). So - next trip is for dim sum - and this will be my first time having dim sum.

Bottom line: expensive for chinese, but IMHO worth it. Strongly recommend this place.
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/14 23:30:20
I did a trip report of my walk to Findaly Market last week, and I ordered a flatbread from Bouchard's Anything's Pastable. It is on the Elm Street end of the market. City Beat did a review of it.

http://citybeat.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A145858

I really enjoyed it. I hope they stay around for a long time!! If you go to FM, there are a lot of meal choices, but I recommend trying Bouchard's.

Flatbread with alfredo sauce, bacon, spinach, kalamata olives, mozzarella & feta cheeses for just $6.00.

Delilah77
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/15 14:21:16
Thanks for the heads up on Bouchard's. I'm at Findlay market at least twice a month and I hadn't seen it. After reading the article it seems that it opens after I've left. I usually go early and get a belgian waffle for breakfast.
winemedineme
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/17 21:11:56
Anyone know what happened to Aunt Flora's at Findlay? The stall is completely vacated and the website gives me a 404 error.
franklee
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/18 00:06:02
I talked to "aunt flora's" husband two weeks ago... bought a chess buy and talked to him about their plans to start up a bed n breakfast in western hills... puzzling... by the way.. Scott's BBQ on Northland Drive has peach cobbler that compres favorably with aunt flora's.. if it comes down to that... if anyone hears anything further about this.. pls post it..
BarenakedChef
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/18 00:16:20
quote:
Originally posted by soozycue520

I did a trip report of my walk to Findaly Market last week, and I ordered a flatbread from Bouchard's Anything's Pastable. It is on the Elm Street end of the market. City Beat did a review of it.

http://citybeat.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A145858

I really enjoyed it. I hope they stay around for a long time!! If you go to FM, there are a lot of meal choices, but I recommend trying Bouchard's.

Flatbread with alfredo sauce, bacon, spinach, kalamata olives, mozzarella & feta cheeses for just $6.00.

Oh My Gosh, that flatbread looks so fantastic!
franklee
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/18 00:51:04
my favorite comfort food at Findlay Maket is the boile cabbage (and cornbread) at Aunty's.. spitting distance from aunt flora's
winemedineme
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/18 16:22:28
They've been working on that B&B idea for about four years now-- I used to live about a block away from them in Westwood. I am very surprised that they completely pulled out of Findlay to do it. I'm also disappointed-- my boyfriend's favorite catfish outside of Alabama was Aunt Flora's.
franklee
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/18 17:45:53
you think it was their slow service? had to wait and wait and wait for an order... so much so that i got to where i only ordered what i knew was packaged and ready to go... has anyone notified martha stewart?
Alco251
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/18 19:46:18
quote:

Has anyone been to Garzelli's Pizza and Grinder's? I won a free pizza there, but the only places in town are a 30 min. drive from me and I am wondering if it is worth it. Any insight would be helpful.

Garzellis was my favorite pizza when I lived in Erlanger. Good hand tossed crust with lots of sauce and cheese. Also, great sandwiches and calzones. The Edgewood location also has a full bar attached as well as the dining room. They also have DIY fountain drinks with free refills. This was my go-to spot for people visiting from out of town.

Never been to Florence or Cherry Grove so I can't speak for them, but they are under common management.
winemedineme
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/18 23:34:50
Franklee, they DID take a while-- particularly if you were ordering anything fried. I don't know if that was it, there was always a line...
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/19 11:53:43
quote:
Originally posted by winemedineme

Anyone know what happened to Aunt Flora's at Findlay? The stall is completely vacated and the website gives me a 404 error.

When I ate at Bouchard's, I had planned on eating at Aunt Flora's. Although it was Thursday at lunch, they were closed. I wondered what was up.

Notice the "open" sign.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/19 13:07:34
quote:
Originally posted by Alco251

quote:

Garzellis was my favorite pizza when I lived in Erlanger. Good hand tossed crust with lots of sauce and cheese. Also, great sandwiches and calzones. The Edgewood location also has a full bar attached as well as the dining room. They also have DIY fountain drinks with free refills. This was my go-to spot for people visiting from out of town.

Never been to Florence or Cherry Grove so I can't speak for them, but they are under common management.

I live near the Garzelli's in Cherry Grove, and I'm a big fan, although I like the grinders and the garlic bread with cheese a little better than the pizza.
winemedineme
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/20 11:10:49
Soozycue, it was completely cleared out by Saturday morning.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/20 12:06:57
quote:
Originally posted by Bonk

quote:

quote:

I live near the Garzelli's in Cherry Grove, and I'm a big fan, although I like the grinders and the garlic bread with cheese a little better than the pizza.
What type of buns or bread do they use for their grinders? Is their pizza as good as Dewey's Pizzeria?
vudutu
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/20 12:56:31
The Findlay management most likely drove off Auntie but the long waits were a factor. Got to try Bouchard's, The spice vendor was raving about them to us.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/20 13:01:21
In her blog post today, Polly clears up the "what happened to Flora" question and expands on a topic I have been talking about off and on:

(the url is so long it'll stretch out the page, so I am posting it in 4 pieces....you'll need to past the 4 pieces together in your browser in the order shown)

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=blog14&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript
&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost
&plckPostId=Blog%3a1921648a-c77d-4218-b8c1-5af7ab309046Post%3a6bf57d46-911f-4f9e-a7eb-35923ba2c4ea
&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

In other news.....

Flo's Plate full of Soul\Downtown: As mentioned by Polly, this place I have been heralding for a while is now open in the old Patoshnik's spot. I went in to take a quick look. It's carryout only, and the carryout window is oddly covered by cloth so that you can't see into the kitchen - a hand brushes aside the curtain and hands out a carryout order. Weird. The menu is very short, no paper copies were available when I stopped by.

Pizzaville\Mt Washington: Construction/remodeling is still going on, and a sign remains in the window promising a new Pizzaville including delivery when they reopen. No estimated date is associated with this re-opening.

Fresh\Downtown: This organic sandwich/salad joint on the corner of 4th and Main has closed, and all the windows are papered up. The building it is in has been in the news a lot lately because the landlord owes a TON of money for utilities and Duke is threatening to shut off power to the building, so I can't help but think these two stories are related. That said, there is a sign on the door that says "closed for new recipe development". I have a little trouble swallowing this story. :-)
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/20 13:09:15
Flora had a place that was larger in Price Hill originally. Now she is looking again for more space. Hmmm.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/20 13:12:27
quote:

The Findlay management most likely drove off Auntie but the long waits were a factor. Got to try Bouchard's, The spice vendor was raving about them to us.
Flora will never be Speedy Gonzalez - perhaps she needs to do catering and take out and forget about the restaurant concept. I remember when the lunchbunch went to her Price Hill place - we spent 3 hours there - at least - waiting on our food, It was great but not many folks will tolerate that kind of time delay.
Alco251
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/20 23:59:31
quote:
Originally posted by NYPIzzaNut

What type of buns or bread do they use for their grinders? Is their pizza as good as Dewey's Pizzeria?

They use a fresh Italian loaf, toasted and buttered. Super yummy.

As far as Deweys, it is a real apples/oranges thing. Garzellis is more a traditional eastern pizza joint menu. Deweys does the fufu California thing. Both are good, but you can't really compare them.
westsider12
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/21 08:45:29
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

In her blog post today, Polly clears up the "what happened to Flora" question and expands on a topic I have been talking about off and on:

(the url is so long it'll stretch out the page, so I am posting it in 4 pieces....you'll need to past the 4 pieces together in your browser in the order shown)

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=blog14&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript
&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost
&plckPostId=Blog%3a1921648a-c77d-4218-b8c1-5af7ab309046Post%3a6bf57d46-911f-4f9e-a7eb-35923ba2c4ea
&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

In other news.....

Flo's Plate full of Soul\Downtown: As mentioned by Polly, this place I have been heralding for a while is now open in the old Patoshnik's spot. I went in to take a quick look. It's carryout only, and the carryout window is oddly covered by cloth so that you can't see into the kitchen - a hand brushes aside the curtain and hands out a carryout order. Weird. The menu is very short, no paper copies were available when I stopped by.

Pizzaville\Mt Washington: Construction/remodeling is still going on, and a sign remains in the window promising a new Pizzaville including delivery when they reopen. No estimated date is associated with this re-opening.

Fresh\Downtown: This organic sandwich/salad joint on the corner of 4th and Main has closed, and all the windows are papered up. The building it is in has been in the news a lot lately because the landlord owes a TON of money for utilities and Duke is threatening to shut off power to the building, so I can't help but think these two stories are related. That said, there is a sign on the oddr that says "closed for new recipe development". I have a little trouble swallowing this story.

Fresh is closed...shocking, utterly shocking...everything about that place just seemed to reek of pretentiousness and had a "holier than thou" feel to it.
e4tango
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/21 09:50:41
quote:
Originally posted by Ghaz

quote:

Speaking of Izzy's, I see a lot of hate for the franchise (personally, I like the reubens and the potato pancakes there, but I'm not at all picky), so what is everyone's suggestion for the best reubens in the Cincinnati area?

That's one of my favorite sandwiches, so I'd love to hear others' takes and sample different places.

Speaking of Izzy's, I know they were planning on opening a new location in Florence this year. So far I've not seen any sight of it. Anybody have any news if it's still in the works or not?

Yes! It will be located on Mall Road next to the Starbucks. Due to open in September '08.
luebster
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/21 14:25:27
quote:

Fresh is closed...shocking, utterly shocking...everything about that place just seemed to reek of pretentiousness and had a "holier than thou" feel to it.

I'm with you westsider12. When people would ask me about Fresh, I would tell them, "It's too Hyde Park for me."
Ghaz
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/22 00:49:09
quote:
Originally posted by e4tango

quote:
Originally posted by Ghaz
Speaking of Izzy's, I know they were planning on opening a new location in Florence this year. So far I've not seen any sight of it. Anybody have any news if it's still in the works or not?

Yes! It will be located on Mall Road next to the Starbucks. Due to open in September '08.

Thank you. I guess I'll have to look a little closer next time I'm on Mall Road.
KahnsKrazy
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/22 16:20:03
TJ,

I noticed you've been on an Asian food kick. Have you ever tried the small Chinese place in Hyde Park near the intersection of Wasson and Edwards - in the small strip mall that houses Aveda and Roly Poly and Penn Station? I can't think of the name off hand, but it came recommended to me by relatives who are pretty picky food people.

I grabbed one carryout dish a few weeks back. Normally, I have leftovers from Chinese food, but I just couldn't stop eating it. Yum.

The name is going to bug me now. Does anyone know?
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/22 20:22:53
Answer: Ya Kat Mein Noodle House (www.yakatmein.biz) (though the menu says .com rather than .biz)

I went by there tonight and picked up a carryout menu - kids don't like Chinese much, we ate at Longhorn so I could check out their burger that has been much ballyhooed in another thread - and was surprised to see 5 varieties of dumpling on the menu. Many ameri-chinese joints don't have any, maybe half have one type, a couple have two - 5 was something I had not seen before! The place smelled very, very good. I will definitely hit it for lunch someday soon. Kahn's - what did you have there?

In other news:

A&W Root Beer/Downtown this stall in the Carew basement food court remains empty, with no activity. Yeah, this is sorta non-news.

Buddakhan/Downtown it appears this bar masquerading as a hamburger-and-pad-thai joint has closed. No signage on the outside to explain why\when\if they intend to reopen. All the signage remains up.

Universal Grille/Downtown is no longer open for lunch. So says the sign on the door.

Clough Pike Market/Anderson is (and including Jean Paul's Pleasures - a very good mini bakery) out of business. The signage out front indicates that Beacon Foods (a small chain of micro grocery/delis) will be opening at that location sometime soon.

Pizzaville/Mt Washington has a VERY BIG glossy sign up in the window promising "mouth watering pizza" again soon. The interior walls I could see are all finished and look very, very nice. I look forward to seeing this place in business again, and already wonder if Lenny is involved.

Hibachi Master/Anderson is a place I had meant to check out for a long time on the recommendation of Wallyum, but hadn't. I finally made it in a couple days back and was very underwhelmed. The folks sitting near me really liked their sushi, though. I had pork katsu and the gyoza, will probably return once more for one of their "hibachi grilled" items

Shanghai Mama/Downtown is a place I have gotten carryout from maybe a dozens times in the past month or so, hoping to find some decent asian food downtown other than my beloved Tan Thai which is really far away from where I work. Really odd place. The dumplings are served with what looks like spaghetti sauce, and are not very good. Many of the dishes are very, very bland, while the pepper steak (which is supposed to be mild and sweet) was charged with FIREY hot pepper, so much that I could not finish it. The lemon in the lemon chicken has a sickly taste to it, had to toss it two bites in; and the teriyaki sauce on the teriyaki chicken tastes burned. Tiny Eggrolls for $2? I'll pass. So why did I go back so many times? Because the Mu Shu Pork (served already wrapped ala Chipotle in a single thin tortilla-like wrap, and only available on the dinner menu) was one of the best things I have eaten recently; although it was small and expensive (8 bucks). And the fried rice I had a day or two later for a mere 4.25 was generously portioned and very, very tasty - not nearly as good as the fried rice at Tan Thai but a larger portion for close to half the price. I kept hoping to find another winner, but never did.

(edited to correct url. thanks euched! never trust a url printed on a menu, heh)
Euched
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/22 22:00:56
quote:

Answer: Ya Kat Mein Noodle House (www.yakatmein.com)

I went by there tonight and picked up a carryout menu - kids don't like Chinese much, we ate at Longhorn so i could check out their burger that has been much ballyhooed in another thread - and ws suprised to see 5 varieties of dumpling on the menu. Many ameri-chinese joints don't have any, maybe half have one type, a couple have two - 5 was somethign I had not seen before! The place smelled very, very good. I will definitely hit it for lunch someday soon. Kahn's - what did you have there?

I think it is Yat Ka Mein http://www.yatkamein.biz/

I have never been there, but I have heard great things about the place from a few different people.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/23 20:32:24
quote:

quote:

They use a fresh Italian loaf, toasted and buttered. Super yummy.

As far as Deweys, it is a real apples/oranges thing. Garzellis is more a traditional eastern pizza joint menu. Deweys does the fufu California thing. Both are good, but you can't really compare them.
I have been going to Deweys for years and ordering plain cheese pies and find them as good as NY pizzas for the most part. Exceptionally good chewy crust and great cheese and tomato sauce.
jjjrfoodie
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/24 12:52:17
quote:

In other news:

Buddakhan/Downtown it appears this bar masquerading as a hamburger-and-pad-thai joint has closed. No signage on the outside to explain why\when\if they intend to reopen. All the signage remains up.

Perhaps this might have something to do with it.

http://www.cincinnatibeacon.com/index.php/content/comments/opera_singer_knocks_restaurant_owner_unconscious_and_almost_kicks_him_to_de/

BTW, I've known Danny for over 10 years when he owned Rhino's Bar on 12th St.

Oh my.

BTW, Buddakhan used to be a Longhorn Steak House and the burgers were great indeed.

jjjrfoodie

dlawson
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/24 17:17:29
quote:

So why did I go back so many times? Because the Mu Shu Pork (served already wrapped ala Chipotle in a single thin tortilla-like wrap, and only available on the dinner menu) was one of the best things I have eaten recently; although it was small and expensive (8 bucks). And the fried rice I had a day or two later for a mere 4.25 was generously portioned and very, very tasty - not nearly as good as the fried rice at Tan Thai but a larger portion for close to half the price. I kept hoping to find another winner, but never did.

Unfortunately, their lunch menu is a completely different animal from their dinner menu. I have always enjoyed dinner there, but lunch always seems rushed in every way. The Mu Shu Pork Wrap has long been a favorite of mine as well, but it sounds like their prices have finally gone up, as it had been $6.95 for as long as I can remember.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/24 17:25:17
I am not aware of any restaurant that is staying in business who is not regularly raising prices.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/24 17:33:41
quote:
Originally posted by soozycue520

I drove through Newtown today. If you are going east on RT. 32 from Beechmont Ave., it is on your right just as you go into Newtown. It is past the driving range. The sign said "32 BBQ". It had signs for ice cream. I saw no smoke, but I didn't stop.

I made two stops today - first at the Newtown Farmer's market after my daughter's soccer team annihilated the other team 12-1, and the second at 32 BBQ. Never mind that my daughter gave up the single goal to the other team :-) She had a blast, and a lot of playing time. Her coach does a good job ensuring all players play and rotating them through different positions.

First, the farmer's market, which is almost directly across from the soccer fields. Great produce, good prices. Daughter loved the parrots and was absolutely delighted that she was able to get one of them (Holly) to say hello to her. As a reward for her excellent play as the third quarter goalie (taking a kick to the hand and still saving the goal) I bought her a vanilla frozen custard cone, and she immediately noted how much it was different from regular soft serve ice cream. I have some roadfood hope for her! :-) I wish the chocolate and vanilla flavors were more apparent, but the texture was great. I particularly liked the "wall" of corn, and she picked us up 3 winners for dinner tonight. I was pleased with all the produce I saw.

Has anyone ever bought one of their paper-wrapped amish pies? Large selection, but hard to look at them due to their wrapping

(aside to jjr: they have a very small selection of spaghetti sauce there, but most were not ones I had seen before. Check it out if you are in the area)

Second, 32 BBQ. Most importantly, the BBQ sign is gone, and they are not doing BBQ anymore. They are now calling themselves "Corral 32". The menu consists of your basic hot dog, brat, and metts (like a roadside ice cream stand) but they also do a roast pork sandwich (5 bucks with slaw and chips) and a cuban. I ordered a sliced roast pork sandwich and chatted with the owner while we waited. They've been open about 2 months, and took the bbq of the menu when it did not sell well. He confirmed that they press the cuban sandwich, and it sounds fairly authentic (he has some cuban friends he tested it out on.). They have an extensive selection of flavors for their ice balls, which they call "snowies". When I got the sandwich home, I had easily 2/3 of a pound of juicy, somewhat salty (I'd guess they brine the pork roast to achieve some juiciness) slices but with a good mild flavor and very, very tender, on a good large bakery bun. I'll get the cuban next time, as that pork will do very well in a cuban sandwich. Very, very good.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/24 17:49:41
quote:

I am not aware of any restaurant that is staying in business who is not regularly raising prices.

I don't disagree with you on inflation at the moment, but even at 6.95 this item is overpriced based on size. Think "hot pocket" (size, not taste). Yeah, it is tasty as hell, but for the price and at that size, you should get two of them.
Euched
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/24 17:50:30
quote:
Second, 32 BBQ. Most importantly, the BBQ sign is gone, and they are not doing BBQ anymore. They are now calling themselves "Corral 32". The menu consists of your basic hot dog, brat, and metts (like a roadside ice cream stand) but they also do a roast pork sandwich (5 bucks with slaw and chips) and a cuban. I ordered a sliced roast pork sandwich and chatted with the owner while we waited. They've been open about 2 months, and took the bbq of the menu when it did not sell well. He confirmed that they press the cuban sandwich, and it sounds fairly authentic (he has some cuban friends he tested it out on.). They have an extensive selection of flavors for their ice balls, which they call "snowies". When I got the sandwich home, I had easily 2/3 of a pound of juicy, somewhat salty (I'd guess they brine the pork roast to achieve some juiciness) slices but with a good mild flavor and very, very tender, on a good large bakery bun. I'll get the cuban next time, as that pork will do very well in a cuban sandwich. Very, very good.

Please let us know about the Cuban sandwich... That was the ONLY food that I really cared for when I lived in Florida and besides visiting family when I am down there it is the only reason that I ever go back to Florida. I have not found any authentic Cuban Sandwiches anywhere north of Florida, so hopefully it will be good... Though I live in Reading I would totally drive out Rt. 32 to pick up an authentic Cuban... I have had two decent ones in Cincinnati...one of them is the one at Roly Poly and it is a wrap...and the second one that wasn't half bad was actually in the cafeteria at Cincinnati State where they make a pseudo one fresh at their sandwich station.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/24 20:21:28
Well, keep in mind I have NEVER had an authentic cuban sandwich, so all I will be able to tell you is if it tastes good and the ingredients seem to be right given many descriptions I have read.....
winemedineme
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/24 22:39:50
Shanghai Mama's is not a place to go for lunch, but for late night dinners it's a fave. You can't go into it looking for authenticity; instead it's a fun take on Asian fare. If you go after 10 PM, it's almost always packed.

I like their peking duck (not authentic, but good); mu shu pork, tempura shrimp, crabmeat cannoli, and their homemade noodles.

On a related note, some of the staff of Pacific Moon now works at Shanghai Mama's, as Pac Moon is now officially, really closed. The Levee gave up on them ever paying the delinquent taxes. Oh, well.
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/24 23:03:30
quote:

Has anyone ever bought one of their paper-wrapped amish pies? Large selection, but hard to look at them due to their wrapping

I have tried the pies. They are from Ohio Amish country, as well are a lot of the products they sell at Newtown Farm Market. They used to sell individual size pies. Those were the ones I've tried, since I cannot eat a whole pie, and still find it hard to give away!! There were signs up the last couple of times I was there that said the individual pies have not been available. They are very good, fruity, homemade pies.

The parrots are always a selling attraction for the kids. The first time we went, and I told my grandkids we were going to a farmer's market, they were not impressed, but now a yearly trip is anticipated for the parrots & frozen custard, while I get my corn & other fresh produce. The kids also love the popcorn balls right at the entrance by the parrots. I also bought them some root beer flavored licorice sticks the last time we were there. They loved them .

And a P.S.~
I have never had lunch at Shanghi Mama's, but the late night menu has not dissappointed. It is relatively cheap and appetizing. For lunch, it may be "expensive", but for late night fare, it is better than "Chateau Le Blanc" . Crabmeat cannolis {glorified crab rangoon} for $2.95 wasn't bad, the last time I was there. And a friend got a duck/noodle dish which was a great value for $7.95.
franklee
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/25 10:23:58
planning to meet my sister for lunch/dinner in area of carrollton ky... can't find any restaurant reviews? what's good in carrollton? help!
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/25 10:39:58
The pies are first class - on a par with the Mennonite pies available here in Brown County. Lard is what makes the difference.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/25 10:41:57
I kinda like Chateau Le Blanc. In moderation :-)

More downtown news:

Fresh: The paper is off the windows, and the place has apparently reopened with a menu bent distinctly to the southwest. burritos, salsa and chips, quesadillas, and the like.

Balboas: a new location is opening in the spot vacated by the former Popcorn store on Walnut between 4th and 5th. A lot more convenient to me, and I hope they find a way to cut down on the salt at this new location. Right next door to Subway - we'll see fairly soon whether cheap subs win over (relatively) expensive subs pretty quickly.

Just Crepes: This is a new, uh, crepe (natch) place on Court street next to Servatii's. Looks like they will open soon. The menu in the window featured.....yeah, half of them are sweet and half are savory.

Ko Sho: Earlier this year, on (I believe) the now defunct Foodie Report, someone reported that Ko Sho would be closing downtown and re-opening in Northside sometime during the summer. Well, I can't speak on whether the Northside location ever opened, but I can say for certain that the downtown location with it's 8 thousand pound doors remains open
CajunKing
Sirloin
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/25 12:47:31
quote:
Originally posted by franklee

planning to meet my sister for lunch/dinner in area of carrollton ky... can't find any restaurant reviews? what's good in carrollton? help!

http://www.carrolltontourism.com/where_to_eat.htm

I have had a decent meal at Coopers or Welch's

If you like steak cross the river over to Vevay, IN and go to MOE's steak house. Really good steaks
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/25 15:24:44
Speaking of east side BBQ...

We went to Popeye's in Eastgate yesterday -- it's a weakness of mine; what can I say? -- and we saw a sign on Glen Este-Withamsville for a BBQ place that's opening soon. I didn't catch the name, but it's basically a block south of Popeye's on the same side of the street.

Stay tuned...

By the way, it took 14 minutes to get our Popeye's order (a 3-piece and a 2-piece dinner) in that drive-thru. First they handed us the order for the car behind us, then after taking that back, they said they burned our onion rings and had to remake them. They asked us to pull around and said it would be an additional 2 1/2 minutes and offered us each a boxed dessert.

The 2 1/2 minutes was actually six, and they forgot to give us plastic utensils. If I didn't like the chicken and cajun rice so much that would deter me from going back.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/25 16:39:57
quote:

Speaking of east side BBQ...

We went to Popeye's in Eastgate yesterday -- it's a weakness of mine; what can I say? -- and we saw a sign on Glen Este-Withamsville for a BBQ place that's opening soon. I didn't catch the name, but it's basically a block south of Popeye's on the same side of the street.

Stay tuned...

By the way, it took 14 minutes to get our Popeye's order (a 3-piece and a 2-piece dinner) in that drive-thru. First they handed us the order for the car behind us, then after taking that back, they said they burned our onion rings and had to remake them. They asked us to pull around and said it would be an additional 2 1/2 minutes and offered us each a boxed dessert.

The 2 1/2 minutes was actually six, and they forgot to give us plastic utensils. If I didn't like the chicken and cajun rice so much that would deter me from going back.
I love Popeye's green beans and red beans and rice.

There is another bbq place going up in Meijers parking lot - next to Chick-Fil-A - City BBQ (a franchise operation mentioned here before).
dlawson
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/25 17:22:24
quote:

The red beans and rice are the best outside of Cajun Louisiana, bar none. Jim Dandy's does an interesting (and still quite good) take on them, but it's not like anything I've had down south. I'm not sure who taught Walt's BBQ how to cook them, but I suspect no one did...what a joke.

My wife and I ate at Emanu on Thursday and found it very enjoyable. The experience would have been more "fun" with an additional couple, as it's very much designed to be a "community" dining experience; everyone's entree is piled on top of a large round piece of injara (a spongy flatbread with what seemed to be a hint of lemon), and you are encouraged to tear off a chunk and use it to grab some of each entree. (They provide additional injara on the side.) When my wife ordered a vegetarian dish, the waiter offered to bring it out on a separate platter, since it would have been "touching" my meat dish. She isn't a (strict) vegetarian, however, so we kept everything together. The presentation is really something to behold.

We started with vegetable sambussas, which were okay...very small, and would have been better with some sort of accompanying sauce. Not worth $3.95 at all. My entree (zignie, beef simmered in red pepper, onions, garlic, ginger, and spices) was $12, and my wife's (the vegetarian "sampler" with collard greens, cabbage, green beans and carrots, and two types of lentils) was $13. Combined, it was more than enough food for both of us, but one entree wouldn't feed two people. My beef was cooked very well, but not as flavorful as I hoped, considering the ingredients. The cabbage was excellent, collard greens and the beans/carrots were very good, and the lentils were a bit bland. They were out of the goat cheese/mascarpone cheesecake, so we went with the baklava instead, which tasted store-bought but wasn't bad. I also had the coffee that everyone raves about and didn't find it to be anything too out of the ordinary, but coffee is always a nice way to close a meal.

All in all, it definitely merited a return visit, hopefully with a group that is open to new cuisine...and open to sharing.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/25 17:46:14
quote:

Ko Sho: Earlier this year, on (I believe) the now defunct Foodie Report, someone reported that Ko Sho would be closing downtown and re-opening in Northside sometime during the summer. Well, I can't speak on whether the Northside location ever opened, but I can say for certain that the downtown location with it's 8 thousand pound doors remains open

The Northside location hasn't opened yet. The old Madison's Market location still has paper bags over the windows, and still has the Madison's logo on the windows. I'm not sure if any work is being done on the inside, but nothing has been done to the outside.
jjjrfoodie
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/25 21:33:26
quote:

That's so funny TJ!

I worked on the 5th floor of that building for 5 years and hated those damn doors. I do not know how Kosho stays afloat but the food I have had there is very good. Very very slow, but very good.

It opened as a baguette shop back on the late 80's then was a killer mexican restaurant with the best Tortilla Soup I have had in a long long time, then became KoSho. All had the clanging ill-fitted 8000lbs doors.

jjjrfoodie

NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/26 13:39:45
quote:
Originally posted by dlawson

quote:

The red beans and rice are the best outside of Cajun Louisiana, bar none. Jim Dandy's does an interesting (and still quite good) take on them, but it's not like anything I've had down south. I'm not sure who taught Walt's BBQ how to cook them, but I suspect no one did...what a joke.

My wife and I ate at Emanu on Thursday and found it very enjoyable. The experience would have been more "fun" with an additional couple, as it's very much designed to be a "community" dining experience; everyone's entree is piled on top of a large round piece of injara (a spongy flatbread with what seemed to be a hint of lemon), and you are encouraged to tear off a chunk and use it to grab some of each entree. (They provide additional injara on the side.) When my wife ordered a vegetarian dish, the waiter offered to bring it out on a separate platter, since it would have been "touching" my meat dish. She isn't a (strict) vegetarian, however, so we kept everything together. The presentation is really something to behold.

We started with vegetable sambussas, which were okay...very small, and would have been better with some sort of accompanying sauce. Not worth $3.95 at all. My entree (zignie, beef simmered in red pepper, onions, garlic, ginger, and spices) was $12, and my wife's (the vegetarian "sampler" with collard greens, cabbage, green beans and carrots, and two types of lentils) was $13. Combined, it was more than enough food for both of us, but one entree wouldn't feed two people. My beef was cooked very well, but not as flavorful as I hoped, considering the ingredients. The cabbage was excellent, collard greens and the beans/carrots were very good, and the lentils were a bit bland. They were out of the goat cheese/mascarpone cheesecake, so we went with the baklava instead, which tasted store-bought but wasn't bad. I also had the coffee that everyone raves about and didn't find it to be anything too out of the ordinary, but coffee is always a nice way to close a meal.

All in all, it definitely merited a return visit, hopefully with a group that is open to new cuisine...and open to sharing.
As far as red beans and rice I think the only better is to be found at New Orleans to Go (north of Tri County Shopping Center) which is open again - I just spoke to the owner's dad - he is up from New Orleans and running the place while she is on sick leave - she is 4 1/2 months pregnant and needs her rest so comes in only part time to be sure things are going OK (and to aggravate the staff lol according to her dad) ...gottta get back out there...
KahnsKrazy
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/26 13:45:58
quote:

Answer: Ya Kat Mein Noodle House (www.yakatmein.biz) (though the menu says .com rather than .biz)

I went by there tonight and picked up a carryout menu - kids don't like Chinese much, we ate at Longhorn so I could check out their burger that has been much ballyhooed in another thread - and was surprised to see 5 varieties of dumpling on the menu. Many ameri-chinese joints don't have any, maybe half have one type, a couple have two - 5 was something I had not seen before! The place smelled very, very good. I will definitely hit it for lunch someday soon. Kahn's - what did you have there?

To be totally honest, I don't remember. As I do often with new places that are recommended to me, I told the girl who took my order that I had never eaten there and asked what her favorite dish was. I ordered whatever that was, and it was delicious. Also, reasonably priced.
Delilah77
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/26 15:29:17
We were at New Orleans to Go a few weeks ago and I can confirm that the owner's dad is a wonderful Cajun cook. I agree that their red beans and rice are better than Popeye's. Unfortunately, the best red beans and rice outside of Louisiana are my own homemade.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/26 15:39:18
quote:
Originally posted by Delilah77

We were at New Orleans to Go a few weeks ago and I can confirm that the owner's dad is a wonderful Cajun cook. I agree that their red beans and rice are better than Popeye's. Unfortunately, the best red beans and rice outside of Louisiana are my own homemade.
Can I get some? I have some absolutely wonderful Mennonite white/wheat bread I could offer in trade (that we get from a wonderful Mennonite lady out here in Brown County on a regular basis).
Page: << < ..2627282930.. > >> Showing page 27 of 56