AnsweredHot!WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Page: << < ..2627282930.. > >> Showing page 29 of 110
Author
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4564
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/07/14 01:03:45 (permalink)
Taco casa downtown is limited to carryout and lunch hours only. I think the quality is just as good as the other locations, personally....Sandy has given you good dirs.

I'll check out Rise n Shine when I get a chance.....they have been refocused on Thai food for a while now...weird mix, breakfast and thai food.

soozycue520
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1031
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/07/14 01:28:45 (permalink)
I just found a great website with a good cross section of Cincy restaurants:

http://www.wherethelocalseat.com/BestRestaurantsPage.aspx?mid=53

Great name for the site, too!
dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 247
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/07/14 08:57:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Taco casa downtown is limited to carryout and lunch hours only. I think the quality is just as good as the other locations, personally.

The downtown location is fine. The Harper's Point location is the one I am less than impressed with. I have not been to either one in a couple of years, though.
luebster
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/07/14 09:42:00 (permalink)
Long time lurker here....

Me and a couple of work buddies made the trek to Washington Platform (http://www.washingtonplatform.com/downtownfrontpage.htm) at the corner of Court (10th) and Elm Thursday. I suppose they wanted a day to work out the kinks before the official grand opening.

None of us had been there before, so I can't compare it to how it used to be. However, my first impression is that we'll be coming back regularly when the weather's nice (it's a long walk for us).

I had the Barbequed Chicken and Cheddar Wrap. Very tender chicken, tangy sauce, some lettuce and onion (I opted out of the tomato), all wrapped in a tomato tortilla. All their sandwich plates come with choice of pasta salad or fries. The fries were cooked perfectly and sprinkled with some sort of mild cajun seasoning. The portions were such that I didn't finish the fries.

The service was very good (not many customers when we arrived around 1PM) and the interior was attractive, although I could have done without the daytime soap opera on the TV.

I had a soft drink and after a roughly 20% tip, I paid $13. A bit pricey for lunch, but the food was tasty and plentiful. We'll definitely be back.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/07/15 22:19:22 (permalink)
I went by the Sonic-to-be in Eastgate today....looks like this particular location will be TINY compared to the others.

Confirmed that the Frisch's next to Roy's is gonzo.....I can't recall hardly ever seeing cars in there. Roy's is regularly hoppin' tho
Bearcat
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/07/16 08:05:46 (permalink)
As posted in a different thread about The Rootbeer Stand in Sharonville... the Fairfield location of Jolly's Drive-In has closed. The building is to be demolished and replaced by a Taco Bell. The other 2 locations in Hamilton are still up and running.
jjjrfoodie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 422
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/07/16 18:52:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bearcat

As posted in a different thread about The Rootbeer Stand in Sharonville... the Fairfield location of Jolly's Drive-In has closed. The building is to be demolished and replaced by a Taco Bell. The other 2 locations in Hamilton are still up and running.

I am quite saddened by this news.

jjjrfoodie
sudie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 233
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/07/17 21:48:25 (permalink)
Forgive me if this has been addressed before..I've read this whole thread, but not recently. Tonight, we ate at Chez Nora. Tried to go to Otto's in Covington, but apparently, they're closed on Tuesdays. We checked the menu at Dee Felice, which looked good, but we wandered across the street to Chez Nora, where we've never been before. Very nice food. I got their crab cakes, not the best I've had, but very crabby, with an outstanding remoulade sauce. My husband ordered meatloaf (not as good as mine), but rich, flavorful and served with a good brown gravy. They had half-priced wine, and we got two very good glasses for $3 to $3.50 apiece. David got a piece of excellent chocolate layer cake...I had a bite, enough for me. It was really good. I'd like to go back to their rooftop garden where they serve until 1:00 and have music Wed thru Sun. Looks like a great place to stop after a Reds game.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/07/17 22:14:28 (permalink)
I don't think you did, sudie.

I always thought Chez Nora was on the pricey side....how much was the total bill? I'd be quite happy to be wrong about this.....

also

I think NCSU asked about Rise and Shine. I went by today, and the "closed for emergency repairs" sign was still up. Generally, real emergency repairs dont take that long, so there's a very good chance they've closed their doors for good.

There's been some items removed from the nearby Sivad's, so I'd say it is a near certainty they won't be reopening

A belated welcome to Luebster, Bearcat, Franklee, and anyone else not yet greeted.....I am sure to forget someone, and you have my apologies for that

Hey all you Cincy lurkers! Login and join us!
sudie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 233
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/07/17 22:36:15 (permalink)
The bill was $64 before tip, and we had 2 drinks each (give us a break; we just closed on a house that's been for sale for 3 (count 'em 3) years!), a glass of wine each, our entrees and the chocolate cake, Thought that was really fair. We enjoyed it and will be back again. Great waitress, too.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/07/17 23:28:11 (permalink)
Sounds good :-)

Congrats on the house sale
NCSUBrew
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/07/18 09:31:46 (permalink)
I think there is a new diner/lunch place @ 9th & Sycamore: ALL RISE. Haven't been, but it's around the corner from me, so I'll try it soon. Esp. since my breakfast staple "Rise & Shine" seems to be no more. The "All Rise" sign says open for breakfast & lunch and I assume it's weekdays only.

For the record, I did like R & S: most of the food was 'ok', but I don't eat eggs, so I liked getting the spicy shrimp fried rice for breakfast . . . not a lot of places let you do that! :) My husband would swear the "7 a.m." on their menu was the meatiest breakfast plate in town. We're from the south - not a lot of places here serve the true country (cured) ham. Oh well, irrelevant since they are apparently closed.
jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1184
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/07/18 09:50:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Confirmed that the Frisch's next to Roy's is gonzo.....I can't recall hardly ever seeing cars in there. Roy's is regularly hoppin' tho

We went there once in a while after we moved to Eastgate ten years ago; the ONLY Frisch's where I have ever been less than pleased. Service, food, cleanliness were all spotty. We stopped going there after a few visits.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/07/18 10:12:35 (permalink)
Yeah, Rise and Shine started as a sorta kinda diner then the owner started bringing in all kinds of thai food as time went on. I think they had a Thai buffet as well. It was (and is) a strange mix, but - as you say - it's nice to have a place that provides options not easily found elsewhere
quote:
Originally posted by NCSUBrew

I think there is a new diner/lunch place @ 9th & Sycamore: ALL RISE. Haven't been, but it's around the corner from me, so I'll try it soon. Esp. since my breakfast staple "Rise & Shine" seems to be no more. The "All Rise" sign says open for breakfast & lunch and I assume it's weekdays only.

I was not aware of the place on 9th and Sycamore - thats way way waaay out on the edge of downtown -- will try to check it out soon, thanks for the tip :-)
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 530
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/07/19 15:00:03 (permalink)
Hey, that is NOT on the edge of downtown (I work at Court and Main)! ;)
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/07/19 15:20:21 (permalink)
*laff* so you still consider yourself to be downtown?

Ok, ok :-) there is no exact line of demarcation :-)

so - are you in the courthouse, or in the building where the blind vendor got robbed recently, or where the license bureau is, or above the chicken fingers place?
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 530
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/07/19 16:44:51 (permalink)
The Pepto Pink Post building on Court. :)
Alco251
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 74
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/07/19 23:53:11 (permalink)
I started working in Springdale this week after a 3 year absence and have been driving around to see what has changed. I was sad to see that Ta-Han Mongolian BBQ on Chester road is gone. Anyone know when it shut down?
jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1184
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/07/20 09:26:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Alco251

I started working in Springdale this week after a 3 year absence and have been driving around to see what has changed. I was sad to see that Ta-Han Mongolian BBQ on Chester road is gone. Anyone know when it shut down?

It's been shut down for a few months. Everybody where I work has eaten there from time to time, and it was the "standard" lunch spot for one department.

A relatively new staffer referred to it as "Ta-Han" last year, and I didn't know what she was talking about. We have always called it "Mulch", short for "the Mulch Pile", a nickname given it by one of our staffers.

I liked the place a lot. I'll miss it.

You'll need to try out Jim Dandy's BBQ over on Sharon between Mosteller and Chester.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/07/20 14:33:25 (permalink)
I hoofed it the 7 blocks to All Rise (the place is right next to all the county judicial facilities, ala when the judge enters the court chambers the bailiff says "all rise), and after one visit, here's my observations

-little or no money or effort spent on decor/ambience. which is OK by me :-)
-very reasonable prices. example: 1/2 pound double cheeseburger (2 quarter lb patties) ran me 3.30, and grilled onion was not only available, but free. price also included hand cut skin on fries. outstanding bang for the buck.
-the lettuce I got was leaf lettuce. *good* leaf lettuce.
-the bun was a large and very fresh potato roll with the perfect heft to hold this very large burger. Excellent.
-the burgers were preformed hexagons. Good flavor, though.
-when questioned later, the counterman said they were willing to cook a burger to medium rather than the default well done. not many local places will. nice.
-breakfast is available all day (hours are 6am to 6pm.)
-there are "blue plate" type specials available every day on a schedule, an entree and two sides for 4.95.
-service is unfortunately quite slow. forgiveable for a newly opened joint still working out the kinks....

I will definitely be making a few more visits back
etoiles
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/07/20 14:52:47 (permalink)
Hello!

I am taking a road trip in 2 weeks down to Kentucky. The last day of this trip we are going to Big Bone Lick State Park and staying in a hotel in Cincinnati. Where would be a good place to eat dinner either by Big Bone Lick or in Cincinnati?? We would like to try cuisine from the area and one of us is vegetarian so would have to have something for them too.

If you have any suggestions for Lexington that would be great too!

Thanks!!
Pat T Hat
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 968
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/07/20 16:17:34 (permalink)
If your headed to Cincy from Big Bone, stay on 42 passed the I-75 entrance/exit.
Less than a mile on the left and right across the street from The Wildwood Inn is a little joint called Shakey's Pub & Grub.
It's in a kind of strip mall that it shares with a Skyline Chili.

I've never had a bad meal or time there. Shakey knows what he's doing!
I can't say what if any vegatarian entree's are on the menu but they would be accomodating I'm very sure.
It's the best place I can think of near Big Bone, maybe 15-20 min. away (depending on traffic).

Pan fried chicken on Sundays used to be my weekly thing when I lived down the road. If your nearby on a Sunday I recommend it.
soozycue520
  • Total Posts : 1031
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/07/20 22:55:13 (permalink)
I just happened to be looking at the website for Shakey's this past week, because I will be down that way tomorrow.

http://www.shakeysgrub.com/menu.html

If we end up there, I will let you know what I think. I will have the grandkids, though, so it may not be an option.
Pat T Hat
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 968
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/07/21 02:01:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by soozycue520

I just happened to be looking at the website for Shakey's this past week, because I will be down that way tomorrow.

http://www.shakeysgrub.com/menu.html

If we end up there, I will let you know what I think. I will have the grandkids, though, so it may not be an option.

Groovy soozycue! Thank you so very much. I didn't know he had a website.
I've not been there for a year or so but I know Shakey will give you a great feed.
He's been doing this a long time and it shows. Nice guy who loves his customers happy and satisfied.

I'm pretty sure I've seen kids there. You probably should call but he does have a dining area out of site of the bar to the right as you walk in.
CincyKid
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/07/22 03:01:47 (permalink)
Has anybody eaten at the Country Inn on Beechmont Avenue? They have really good breakfast and it's relatively inexpensive. They always have daily specials too.
CincyKid
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/07/22 03:11:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Pat T Hat

If your headed to Cincy from Big Bone, stay on 42 passed the I-75 entrance/exit.
Less than a mile on the left and right across the street from The Wildwood Inn is a little joint called Shakey's Pub & Grub.
It's in a kind of strip mall that it shares with a Skyline Chili.

I've never had a bad meal or time there. Shakey knows what he's doing!
I can't say what if any vegatarian entree's are on the menu but they would be accomodating I'm very sure.
It's the best place I can think of near Big Bone, maybe 15-20 min. away (depending on traffic).

Pan fried chicken on Sundays used to be my weekly thing when I lived down the road. If your nearby on a Sunday I recommend it.

Great recommendation! I used to live in Union and would go to Shakey's a lot. The food is always fantastic and there is a good variety on the menu. That place just makes you want to have a beer too... so there's another plus.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/07/23 21:42:54 (permalink)
Mayura is gone. Opening soon: The Bombay Oven.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/07/23 21:53:40 (permalink)
Also, Boloco (in Clifton by the Varsity Village) has changed its name to Currito and has shortened its hours to 11-7. I am not sure if this is a chain-wide change, or if they are still affiliated with Boloco, but a sign in the window says something to the effect of "new name, same menu."
arianej
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 205
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/07/24 15:06:28 (permalink)
Tried a new-to-us place this past weekend in West Chester. It's Indian and Pakistani food and goes by the unusual name of The Village Grill. We'd forgotten it was there, but stumbled upon it again because Chopsticks (Vietnamese place) was closed on Sunday. Turned out to be a very serendipitous find. :)

There's definitely more of an emphasis on grilled meats than other Indian restaurants I've been to-- you can get grill combos, kabobs, even fish and quail tikka, lamb ribs and most of the usual suspects like curry, vindaloo, biryani, etc. We tried the lunch buffet, which was quite good, plenty of variety but heavier on the meat dishes than one might expect. They have a couple kinds of chicken curry, beef curry and goat curry (which I recommend trying) as well as a very good saag paneer and chickpea dish. Food is not super-hot, but is well-spiced and has a mild to medium heat level.

I notice the front window advertises some nice-looking $5 or so lunch specials (I assume for the weekdays) and naan for $1, something to try on future trips.

It's on Tylersville Rd., not far from 75. Look for the shopping center with the Big Lots sign and the Twin Dragon Chinese buffet, it'll be in the row of buildings perpendicular to that. There's a decent sushi bar called Akira in the main strip, too.
ernieson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 117
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/07/24 15:19:49 (permalink)
I've just moved from Lexington to Las Vegas. I've always been curious why there is SO much information about Cincy/Northern Kentucky. Is it because a large number of Roodfooders live in this area? Or is it that these Roadfooders are more avid hunters than those who live elsewhere? There is only 1/10 of the information on Las Vegas, but LV has a much higher population. Or I am the only LV local?
Page: << < ..2627282930.. > >> Showing page 29 of 110
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1