AnsweredHot!WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Page: << < ..2627282930.. > >> Showing page 29 of 56
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/09/08 16:52:27
I haven't seen much discussion on this thread about chicken wings. Not sure if this is a non-wing eating crowd, or if it just hasn't really been thrown around.

I flippin' love chicken wings. I could probably eat them 5 nights a week. I don't mind the wings at BW3's and Wings and Rings, but I'm always on the lookout for the places that make their own sauces. Here's what I've found, and I'm interested to hear what other people like.

My normal favorite is the Establishment on Wasson in Oakley. They make their own sauce, and it features lots of crushed red pepper flakes. I like my wings a bit crispy, so I normally order them well done. I've also tried the wings at OBryons on Madison in OBryonville, and found them to be delicious. I don't get over that way very often. Over in Northern Kentucky, Knuk-n-Futz on Taylor Mill Road, which is a former Wings and Rings franchise has exellent wings and good variations on the sauces. Also, Tickets in Covington has excellent wings.

The former Blarney Stone, which I think is now Maloney's East on Beechmont in Anderson near 5-mile (The old IHOP building) has an interesting wing that is fried, sauced, then fried again. It's interesting, and I get them that way every once in a while. If you like wings, I suggest trying them.

I know there are some west-side places I haven't been. Anyone have any suggestions?
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/09/09 14:45:39
I suppose most of you already know this, but for anyone who doesn't - the first location of Fatburger in Cincinnati is opening in Oakley where the Chili Company once was.

Yeah, it's a chain, but they allegedly put together a pretty good burger. Former Bengal Willie Anderson owns the joint. Opening in a month or so,[url='http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=blog14&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3a1921648a-c77d-4218-b8c1-5af7ab309046Post%3a27e9f78f-a9ad-46bc-bf3f-f0c1148184bd&plckCommentSortOrder=TimeStampAscending&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com']according to Polly[/url].
KahnsKrazy
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/09/09 15:14:05
I did not know that! Way pumped up about it. That location has been empty for some time.

Hope it does well. That end of Oakley is teetering on becoming a great spot.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/09/09 19:48:05
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

I suppose most of you already know this, but for anyone who doesn't - the first location of Fatburger in Cincinnati is opening in Oakley where the Chili Company once was.

Yeah, it's a chain, but they allegedly put together a pretty good burger. Former Bengal Willie Anderson owns the joint. Opening in a month or so,[url='http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=blog14&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3a1921648a-c77d-4218-b8c1-5af7ab309046Post%3a27e9f78f-a9ad-46bc-bf3f-f0c1148184bd&plckCommentSortOrder=TimeStampAscending&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com']according to Polly[/url].

I second the person that said let's get an In-n-Out Burger if we're going to get a chain. But I would like to try Fat Burger sometime.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/09/11 14:55:54
Well, Fatburger sells franchises.....In and Out does not.

I do not think we'll see an In and Out in Cincinnati in our lifetime

News: there is a new "Cajun" place opening in the US Bank building at 5th and Walnut, in the old computer shop location just to the left and before the elevators as you enter through the doors on the Walnut side. I forgot to record the name, and I do not know the opening date.
sholley
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/09/11 22:24:07
quote:

Well, Fatburger sells franchises.....In and Out does not.

I do not think we'll see an In and Out in Cincinnati in our lifetime

News: there is a new "Cajun" place opening in the US Bank building at 5th and Walnut, in the old computer shop location just to the left and before the elevators as you enter through the doors on the Walnut side. I forgot to record the name, and I do not know the opening date.

Never an in-n-out because they do not freeze the meat so all rest have to be within I believe a 500 mile radius of the main location
uncledaveyo
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/09/11 23:49:46
you might be right, sholley.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/09/16 19:01:18
Nice to see sholley posting here - hi!!!!
Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/09/20 17:04:25
quote:
Originally posted by Euched

Sung got his start at Riverside Korean in NKY. Since this was your first experience in Korean you should check out Riverside. It is a more laid back environment and the food is more traditional Korean than the play on Traditional that they have at Sung's Bistro. The dining environment is also more traditional to Korea as they have the option of 'regular' tables with the grill in the middle or they also have the low tables with pillows to sit on.

We had dinner at Riverside Korean last night before the Asleep At The Wheel concert at the Madison Theater. We both had the Doe Ji Bul Go Gi which is described as spicy marinated slices of pork. It was really delicious. We ordered the side dish of lettuce leaves with bean paste and raw garlic to make wraps with the pork. The bean paste was pungent and earthy and went well with the pork. The side dishes you get with dinner were great, especially the marinated spinach and the marinated slices of squash. It's such a comfortable little place and the food is very good. I highly recommend it.
Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/09/21 16:25:56
We went to York Street Cafe in Newport last night for dinner. We had planned to eat dinner and then go upstairs to hear a big band that plays there a couple of Saturday nights each month. I've been to York Street Cafe several times, and always liked the food though it can be on the pricey side. We had the special appetizer which was a heaping bowl of mussels in a garlic wine broth. It was $10.00 and there were enough mussels for us to split it, so it was a good deal. They were fresh and delicious. They came with a few slices of crusty bread so you could sop up some of the broth...yummy. Bill's dinner of the Mediterranean "Conversation Board" was like a mezze platter with hummus, taboulleh, spanikopita, and baba gannoush. Unfortunately the spanikopita was soggy and kind of tasteless, and the smokey flavor of the baba gannoush tasted artificial. Nothing else was particularly remarkable. I had the Amish Chicken stuffed with applewood cured bacon and grogonzola. I've had this before and it was as tasty as ever. It came with garlic mashed potatoes and some over-steamed broccoli and zucchini. Our server, for some illogical reason, seemed to be handling two tables up front (one of which was ours) and most of the outside seating in the back. We rarely saw her and , when we did, she avoided eye contact, because she had stuff going on in back. It took forever to get our food. She blamed it on the kitchen but we saw folks around us who came later getting served before we did. We got upstairs later than we had planned and missed some of the show.

The big band, Swingtime was really good, very tight, with a large repertoire of swing, jazz, and standards. The cover charge was $8.00 per person and well worth it. They played from 7:30 to 11:00. You can dance if you want to.

http://www.swingtimebigband.com/

Next time we go, we'll probably eat somewhere else. Between the expense and the service, it wasn't worth the aggravation.
Robin Hood
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/09/22 10:44:32
Where are the authentic Mexican restaurants in NKY now? Since Fontova and Taqueria Mercado both closed, I have been left without a fix for authentic mexican.
KahnsKrazy
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/09/24 16:36:25
Sandy, I haven't been to NuVo yet, but heard wonderful things about it and am looking forward to trying it soon. I believe it's a few blocks closer to the river on York St.

Robin, I too miss Fontova. I am not aware of a Mexican option in Covington right now.

This may belong in the "breakfast" forum, but I hit The Echo in Hyde Park for breakfast last weekend (normally, I love cooking breakfast myself, but still had no power as of Saturday morning). It's expensive, but everything was delicious, and the atmosphere is so much cozier than a First Watch or other such place.

Which reminds me, a friend recently asked me if I had any greasy spoon breakfast recommendations off 71/75 south between Cincinnati and 275 by the airport. The Anchor Grill in Covington came up, but apparently this is the spot that he was familiar with, but was looking for another option. Anybody have any suggestions for breakfast along this stretch?
Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/09/24 17:21:34
quote:
Originally posted by KahnsKrazy

Sandy, I haven't been to NuVo yet, but heard wonderful things about it and am looking forward to trying it soon. I believe it's a few blocks closer to the river on York St.

Robin, I too miss Fontova. I am not aware of a Mexican option in Covington right now.

This may belong in the "breakfast" forum, but I hit The Echo in Hyde Park for breakfast last weekend (normally, I love cooking breakfast myself, but still had no power as of Saturday morning). It's expensive, but everything was delicious, and the atmosphere is so much cozier than a First Watch or other such place.

Which reminds me, a friend recently asked me if I had any greasy spoon breakfast recommendations off 71/75 south between Cincinnati and 275 by the airport. The Anchor Grill in Covington came up, but apparently this is the spot that he was familiar with, but was looking for another option. Anybody have any suggestions for breakfast along this stretch?

I'm not sure I'd call it greasy spoon, but it serves home-cooked, prides itself on its breakfasts, and serves local stuff like goetta. It's the Colonial Cottage on Dixie Highway in Erlanger, about a mile from the airport. It's been mentioned on this forum many times, so you might check the search engine for other comments and opinions.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/09/24 18:07:28
quote:
Originally posted by KahnsKrazy

Oops - I misread the South portion of the location but if I was looking for a breakfast place in Northern Cinci I would choose The Original Pancake House, a location which is in Montgomery at 9977 Montgomery Road (tel 513 7745 0555):

http://www.originalpancakehouse.com/index.html

There are plenty of choices for breakfast and I have never had better breakfasts anywhere in the United States. It is a small franchise operation with around 100 locations scattered throughout the country. It makes the IHOP chain look pathetic.

It is not a greasy spoon joint obviously, but no better breakfasts are available in the Cinci area, for my money. (They have no locations in KY and there are several in OH and IN).
Euched
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/09/24 18:39:46
NYPizzaNut:

For breakfast in Cincinnati I would skip the Original Pancake House and every other chain place located in Cincinnati and head over to Sugar'n Spice. http://cincinnati.citysearch.com/profile/8172796/cincinnati_oh/sugar_n_spice_restaurant.html

I personally think they have the best omlettes in Cincinnati and my grandfather used to take my father there when he is a kid and I take my children there now...they have been open since the early 1940's I believe. They are better than any IHOP or Original Pancake House that I have ever been to, so if you havent been there before you should definitely check them out. They arent in the best place in town, but I have never had any issues with crime while there or heard any stories of such either.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/09/24 19:00:36
quote:
Originally posted by Robin Hood

Where are the authentic Mexican restaurants in NKY now? Since Fontova and Taqueria Mercado both closed, I have been left without a fix for authentic mexican.
I would go to Taqueria Mercado's original location in Fairfield:

Taqueria Mercado Inc
6507 Dixie Hwy
Fairfield OH 45014
Tel: (513) 942-4943

...and then go up to Jungle Jim's and get your fill of ethnic delicacies!

(If I can drive 76 miles from Brown County to Kettering to get great NY tasting pizza at Troni's one can travel from N Ky to Fairfield for great authentic Mexican food!)
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/09/24 19:04:50
quote:
Originally posted by Euched

NYPizzaNut:

For breakfast in Cincinnati I would skip the Original Pancake House and every other chain place located in Cincinnati and head over to Sugar'n Spice. http://cincinnati.citysearch.com/profile/8172796/cincinnati_oh/sugar_n_spice_restaurant.html

I personally think they have the best omlettes in Cincinnati and my grandfather used to take my father there when he is a kid and I take my children there now...they have been open since the early 1940's I believe. They are better than any IHOP or Original Pancake House that I have ever been to, so if you havent been there before you should definitely check them out. They arent in the best place in town, but I have never had any issues with crime while there or heard any stories of such either.
Any place is better than IHOP in their new incarnation. OPH may be a chain but they do things right (that was the original concept for chains I believe). And I have never had a problem with any choices - nothing cold or done wrong etc. Great food every time.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/09/24 19:13:23
There is an authentic Mexican taqueria in Newport, with an attached market:

LA MEXICANA, 642 Monmouth St., Newport, 859-291-3520. Fast-paced burrito and taco action in a tiny kitchen. The best view is from one of the balcony seats.

I enjoyed the market more than the burritos but to each his own (they do have goat). Great chorizo in the market. Parking in the back.
franklee
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/09/24 23:48:34
I give both Perkins and Bob Evans failing grades for their breakfast fare.. leastwise their outlets in western cincinnati. Perkins cooked the taste out of corned beef hash and eggs... how could that happen? Bob Evans.. which I chose for guests because of it's homecookin' flavors.. was flat... the eggs were tasteless.. the chili was tasteless... the toast was tasteless... where's a good breakfast on the west side?

Robin Hood
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/09/25 07:23:48
quote:
Originally posted by NYPIzzaNut

LA MEXICANA, 642 Monmouth St., Newport, 859-291-3520. Fast-paced burrito and taco action in a tiny kitchen. The best view is from one of the balcony seats.

I enjoyed the market more than the burritos but to each his own (they do have goat). Great chorizo in the market. Parking in the back.

Thanks NY. You and I obviously travel in the same circles because (a) I do go to the Taqueria mercado in Fairfield, and (b) I have been to La Mexicana.

I don't mind the drive to Taqeueria Mercado #1 on a Saturday, but on workdays it is not possible. That's why I need something like it in NKY. I tried La Mexicana and it was ok, but not great. There is another tiny place in Covington on Pike Street across from Glier's Factory next to a laundry mat that does authentic mexican cuisine, but it is a "b-" at best. Oh well, I will keep searching.

Delilah77
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/09/25 09:14:57
For a greasy spoon breakfast place I would recommend the Pepper Pod Restaurant on Monmouth in Newport. Good diner food and great prices.
jmckee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/09/28 15:54:32
The former East Gate Buffet in Union Township (across from Rincon Mexicano in the Bigg's complex) is being reopened as Fuji's House, a hibachi grill, sushi bar, and traditional Japanese restaurant, according to the sign outside. More updates, as they say, as events warrant.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/09/28 16:29:08
quote:
Originally posted by jmckee

The former East Gate Buffet in Union Township (across from Rincon Mexicano in the Bigg's complex) is being reopened as Fuji's House, a hibachi grill, sushi bar, and traditional Japanese restaurant, according to the sign outside. More updates, as they say, as events warrant.
That sounds interesting. Now if we could only get some other great ethnic restaurants there, like a real Mexican taqueria, a soul food/ribs place, a Vietnamese restaurant and a pizzeria that actually can make great New York style pizzas ( like Dewey's and Troni's/Kettering.)
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/09/28 16:33:28
It would really making living in the boonies of Brown County, Ohio more palatable.
Russ Jackson
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/09/28 16:40:50
quote:

quote:

That sounds interesting. Now if we could only get some other great ethnic restaurants there, like a real Mexican taqueria, a soul food/ribs place, a Vietnamese restaurant and a pizzeria that actually can make great New York style pizzas ( like Dewey's and Troni's/Kettering.)

Try this place NYP.

Taqueria Mercado
6507 Dixie Hwy
Fairfield, OH 45014
(513) 942-4943

Excellent place over near Jungle Jim's.
Real Deal Mexican Food.
Little or no English spoken but the menu is in both.
Good Mexican Bakery and store next to it also.
Menudo is world class. Think it is only served on weekends.
By far the best Mexican Food I have found in the state...Russ

Went to Troni's on Friday. Crust seemed a little different but still great.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/09/28 16:49:30
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Jackson

quote:

quote:

Try this place NYP.

Taqueria Mercado
6507 Dixie Hwy
Fairfield, OH 45014
(513) 942-4943

Real Deal Mexican Food.

How so was the crust different?!

I have visited the taqueria you mention many times over the last several years (we have talked about it on this thread also) - before and after I left Cincinnati - I am looking for one a wee bit closer to where we live now - which is 36 miles up Route 32 East out of Eastgate.
Russ Jackson
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/09/28 17:23:52
The crust didn't bubble as much as normal. It also didn't have as much end crust. The man running the oven was not the same as usual.
Still Excellent but slightly different. It is also getting a lot busier. Guess we have to stop telling people about the place...Russ
donw9876
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/09/29 00:43:31
Russ - when you're saying that Troni's crust bubbles - what, exactly do you mean? Can you describe the crust?

I'm asking because early Cassano's pizza in Dayton (from the 1960s through most of the 70s) was wafer-thin, and it blistered with bubbles from the baking process. It was *not* a "cracker" type crust - it was chewy - but it had a delightfully bubbled, greasy, salty texture. Ron's Pizza in the Dayton area is similar.
Ghaz
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/09/29 00:50:15
quote:

I believe it's owned by the same people who own the Fuji Japanese Steak House in the old Ground Round restaurant on Mall Road in Florence. Seems they also have restaurants in Hyde Park and Fairfield.

http://www.fujishouserestaurant.com/

http://cinweekly.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080916/ENT0103/809170314/1047/ENT0104

franklee
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/09/29 07:51:30
i been looking for perfect ribs all over the land for years... there's Boneyard in Detroit give you excellent dry rub... a little lady in the middle of Mississippi cooked up some deliciously greasy ribs in support of her daughter's college fund... Latham's in Jackson TN will make you slap your mamma with delight... Everywhere I go I taste... Other day I even tasted some off the grill ribs a friend cooked up for us on his porch in salute of the waning days of summer. Simple fare that turned out to be equal to the best damned ribs I ever ate. A tipof my hat to NYPizzaNut... I didn't know the boy had it in him... good friends AND good food.. what a combination!!!
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/09/29 13:56:21
Some tidbits

Oceanaire/downtown: According to the bottom of the daily menu posted on the door at Oceanaire, they will be adding lunch hours starting Oct 13. Nice.

Corral 32/Newtown: I had their cuban the other day. They pork was very good as always, but the ham was half gristle and I had to basically take it all off, perform surgery, and pile it back on before I could eat the sandwich. There's very few folks stopping in, and I can't see this place lasting much longer. I will miss their roast pork sandwich.

Kings Island/Mason: Some of you had written that the tater place in Rivertown was the best eats from amongst the choices available at KI, and after sampling their bacon cheese fries this past weekend, I am inclined to agree. Pretty darn good for amusement park food.

Paula's/downtown: I had the new "7 minute" burger mentioned on Polly's blog, and it was pretty good but expensive even before add-ons like cheese or grilled onions. The menu says they cook to MW, but I begged politely for MR and did indeed get it that way.

Shanghai Mama's/downtown: I am fast becoming a fan of their lunch menu lo mein. 5.25 gets you an enormous portion and while simple it is tasty (authentic? no idea - sorry) as all get out.

Pizzaville/Mt Washington: all the signage about fresh pizza coming soon has been removed from the window, and I haven't seen any sign of more interior work for weeks now. ah well :-(

Fujis Steakhouse/Hyde Park: Expensive (for what you get) and not very good. All the hibachi meals were coming from the kitchen, with no "grill at the table" service going at all.
jmckee
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/09/30 19:21:05
quote:
Originally posted by Ghaz

quote:

I believe it's owned by the same people who own the Fuji Japanese Steak House in the old Ground Round restaurant on Mall Road in Florence. Seems they also have restaurants in Hyde Park and Fairfield.

http://www.fujishouserestaurant.com/

http://cinweekly.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080916/ENT0103/809170314/1047/ENT0104

Sounds promising. I have a burgeoning interest in Japanese food. Do you have first-hand experience with Fuji and his chateau?
jmckee
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/09/30 19:22:40
quote:

Corral 32/Newtown: I had their cuban the other day. They pork was very good as always, but the ham was half gristle and I had to basically take it all off, perform surgery, and pile it back on before I could eat the sandwich. There's very few folks stopping in, and I can't see this place lasting much longer. I will miss their roast pork sandwich.

It is really a dreadful location, particularly with how fouled up traffic gets there at traditional eating times.....
wesleyman
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/09/30 22:06:08
quote:

Kings Island/Mason: Some of you had written that the tater place in Rivertown was the best eats from amongst the choices available at KI, and after sampling their bacon cheese fries this past weekend, I am inclined to agree. Pretty darn good for amusement park food.

Pizzaville/Mt Washington: all the signage about fresh pizza coming soon has been removed from the window, and I haven't seen any sign of more interior work for weeks now. ah well :-(

I used to work at the tater place and the Frankfurter Factory at Kings Island. Well, by "worked" i mean my buddy and I stayed there for about 2 weeks before we realized it wasnt all chasing girls, free food and easy money for the summer.

and what is going on with the Pizzaville. it seemed like things were moving now nothing, Even the green awning is gone.

Ghaz
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/01 00:34:34
quote:
Sounds promising. I have a burgeoning interest in Japanese food. Do you have first-hand experience with Fuji and his chateau?

Unfortunately not, as it's a little out of my price range. However I have heard it compared favorably to Benihana, and a little cheaper as well.
westsider12
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/01 16:17:35
quote:

quote:

Unfortunately not, as it's a little out of my price range. However I have heard it compared favorably to Benihana, and a little cheaper as well.

Anything would be better than the Benihana downtown. That place is a health code violation waiting to happen.
Euched
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/01 16:25:31
quote:
Originally posted by westsider12

quote:

quote:

Anything would be better than the Benihana downtown. That place is a health code violation waiting to happen.

That place was SO much better back when it was The Samurai.
Robin Hood
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/02 08:55:44
Ok, so desperate for some good authentic Mexican fare I headed down to Newport and LA MEXICANA, 642 Monmouth St., Newport.

Now, I remember why I stopped going there. A lunch of enchiladas and one Jarritos came to $12.70. That's pretty steep considering that I could get a huge lunch at Taquiera Mercado on Dixie for under $10. La Mexicana is just too expensive.
westsider12
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/07 12:10:08
According to the Enquirer, Fatburger is now open. Hopefully we can have a few of us check it out soon.

Fatburger's here
Posted by PollyCampbell at 10/7/2008 10:37 AM EDT on Cincinnati.com

I was in Oakley last night and whaddaya know, there was activity at the new Fatburger hamburger franchise on Madison Road (at Brotherton). I'd already eaten dinner, but since there seemed to be a lot of interest from blog readers about this spot, I figured I should stop in and try it. The manager said they had just opened that day, but the place was busy. Since I'd already had dinner, I got a Baby fat burger, and skinny fries. It was pretty good. The patty was thicker than, say, McDonald's; it had chopped onion and chopped lettuce and lots of mustard and ketchup and so on. I didn't think it was extraordinary. The fries were the fast-food kind: skinny, crisp, and turning a little hard as they get cold. It's kind of fun inside: as you order your fatburger, the order-taker yells "Fat Burger" and the people at the grill yell "Fat Burger " back. But there's a fancy computer under glass, too, so I don't imagine they're completely relying on that method. I was amazed how many people were there, considering how close-mouthed Fatburger has been--the PR person has never even actually confirmed that the place was going to open. I think it fits into the neighborhood better than some fast-food places would. It's nicely designed and fairly low-key looking.
Ghaz
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/07 22:30:50
Unfortunately I was up that way last Saturday hoping to get a Fatburger and they weren't open yet So I went just up the street to BBQ Revue instead Won't be able to get up there this weekened but maybe next weekend. I'm interested in seeing how their onion rings stand up those from Frisch's.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/08 16:46:35
quote:
Originally posted by westsider12

According to the Enquirer, Fatburger is now open. Hopefully we can have a few of us check it out soon.

Fatburger's here
Posted by PollyCampbell at 10/7/2008 10:37 AM EDT on Cincinnati.com

I was in Oakley last night and whaddaya know, there was activity at the new Fatburger hamburger franchise on Madison Road (at Brotherton). I'd already eaten dinner, but since there seemed to be a lot of interest from blog readers about this spot, I figured I should stop in and try it. The manager said they had just opened that day, but the place was busy. Since I'd already had dinner, I got a Baby fat burger, and skinny fries. It was pretty good. The patty was thicker than, say, McDonald's; it had chopped onion and chopped lettuce and lots of mustard and ketchup and so on. I didn't think it was extraordinary. The fries were the fast-food kind: skinny, crisp, and turning a little hard as they get cold. It's kind of fun inside: as you order your fatburger, the order-taker yells "Fat Burger" and the people at the grill yell "Fat Burger " back. But there's a fancy computer under glass, too, so I don't imagine they're completely relying on that method. I was amazed how many people were there, considering how close-mouthed Fatburger has been--the PR person has never even actually confirmed that the place was going to open. I think it fits into the neighborhood better than some fast-food places would. It's nicely designed and fairly low-key looking.
My wife came home from Dairy Queen on 32 E out of Batavia the other day toting a third of a bacon hamburger, that had mustard on it! She palmed it off on me and it almost killed me - to eat a burger with mustard on it - I think the last I had a burger unsuspectly with mustard (from Burger King I think) was in Killeen Texas shortly after I was sent to Ft Hood in 1966 - just before going to Vietnam. That burger also about killed me. Being from NY I guess I never heard of any sane person eating a burger with mustard!
Suburban Dad
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/08 21:03:38
Has anyone else here ate at Taz off Fields Ertel in Mason. Lebanon/Greek restaurant that openend in an old Fazolli's . Chicken Kabob sandwich is delicious. Can check it out at tazrestaurant.com.
wesleyman
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/08 21:30:03
had fatburger in Oakley tonight. nothing extraordinary, but it was a good, juicy burger for a chain. cooked a bit more than medium well, there was some pink in the middle. the lettuce, tomatoes, onions, pickles were all fresh and tasty. For a chain burger, ill take it.

The store was crazy. We arrived around 6:30 and the line was out the door. but it was quick.
Euched
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/09 13:35:04
quote:
Originally posted by Suburban Dad

Has anyone else here ate at Taz off Fields Ertel in Mason. Lebanon/Greek restaurant that openend in an old Fazolli's . Chicken Kabob sandwich is delicious. Can check it out at tazrestaurant.com.

There have been a number of posts about Taz in the past...both good and bad. I have been there a number of times and the food is always good, and the service is always slow from my experience. Some people have said that they have seen mold growing on the windows there, and since then I have not been back there again.

I tried a new Mediterranean place in the little strip next to the Marathon station at the corner of Cincinnati Dayton Rd and Tylersville in West Chester. I can not remember the name, but it is owned by the same family that runs the grocery next to it and that used to run the Maza Mediterranean Bar that was on the corner of Cox and Tylersville Rd in West Chester. The menu is very small, but the food is VERY good. I actually went there twice last week to try different things. The beef and lamb schwarma was excellent as was the fallafel and the hummus. The beef and lamb schwarma was probably the best that I have had since my trip to Israel. The prices were good for the amount of food that you get.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/11 02:56:41
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Russ Jackson

quote:

quote:

Try this place NYP.

Taqueria Mercado
6507 Dixie Hwy
Fairfield, OH 45014
(513) 942-4943

Real Deal Mexican Food.

How so was the crust different?!

I have visited the taqueria you mention many times over the last several years (we have talked about it on this thread also) - before and after I left Cincinnati - I am looking for one a wee bit closer to where we live now - which is 36 miles up Route 32 East out of Eastgate.

Does anyone know if Troni's in open on Sundays? You guys have us talked into going, and we want to go this weekend.

Seems like most pizza places would be, but I can't find a Web site for them and some family businesses aren't open Sundays.
jjjrfoodie
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/11 11:24:39
Troni's is closed on Sunday.

Love over in the Where to eat in Dayton thread and you'll see I posted a few pics of the full menu on pg 4 of that topic.

jjjrfoodie
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/11 23:57:11
Damn.

But thanks.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/13 16:26:31
TJ - Went back to your Boston Butz place in Ross on Friday, and man is that place good. We got the loaded fries for an appetizer, which were loaded with bacon and cheese. I had the Boston Burger, which had two patties of beef, cheese, and pulled pork between the patties.

Heaven on a bun, I tell you. I've got to get back there soon and have another one.
winemedineme
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/13 23:18:12
Just reviewed Taz a week or two ago-- I really liked it, some of the best gyros I've had.
Suburban Dad
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/14 21:27:02
I enjoyed the food at Taz, but did find the service to be extremely slow. Surprised at the number of people there. That Fazoli's never saw that many people.

By the way, I also tried Fatburger. While good, it is overpriced for what it is. Honestly, I enjoy Red Robin much more even if it is slightly more expensive.
erictall
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/15 23:59:13
quote:

quote:

Thanks NY. You and I obviously travel in the same circles because (a) I do go to the Taqueria mercado in Fairfield, and (b) I have been to La Mexicana.

I don't mind the drive to Taqeueria Mercado #1 on a Saturday, but on workdays it is not possible. That's why I need something like it in NKY. I tried La Mexicana and it was ok, but not great. There is another tiny place in Covington on Pike Street across from Glier's Factory next to a laundry mat that does authentic mexican cuisine, but it is a "b-" at best. Oh well, I will keep searching.

Northern KY Tacos?...Not as tasty as Taqueria Mercado, but with points for a charming and hardworking owner, is Mayas. It's at Hopeful Church and 42, next to Snappy Tomato. Traditional tacos with Al Pastor, Carne Asada, Deshebrada, or even Lengua. Their enchilada sauce is clearly not from a can. If you like beer and are adventurous, have the Michelada. Theirs is the Mexico City style (I think), with lemon juice and chile powder in the beer. Much better than it sounds.
Robin Hood
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/16 09:23:14
quote:
Originally posted by erictall

quote:

quote:

Northern KY Tacos?...Not as tasty as Taqueria Mercado, but with points for a charming and hardworking owner, is Mayas. It's at Hopeful Church and 42, next to Snappy Tomato. Traditional tacos with Al Pastor, Carne Asada, Deshebrada, or even Lengua. Their enchilada sauce is clearly not from a can. If you like beer and are adventurous, have the Michelada. Theirs is the Mexico City style (I think), with lemon juice and chile powder in the beer. Much better than it sounds.

finally, an answer! muchas gracias!
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/18 07:34:12
Anyone here tried Italianette pizza in Silverton? Got a coupon for it, online reviews looked good, and I'm a sucker for a different pizza.

Curious if anyone on here has an opinion.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/18 09:33:10
It is OK but nowhere near Dewey's or Troni's. But it has been a while since I was there so no telling what has changed over the years.
jjjrfoodie
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/20 12:08:15
I made a trip to Maya's Saturday for lunch and I was one of the few gringos in the place. Hard to find if you even are looking for it from Route 42. Ordered a lunch platter with a chicken enchilada and a chile relleno. Came with endless fresh salsa, and fresh and hot fried tortilla chips. The chile relleno was a fresh (roasted and skinned), yes...fresh... poblano pepper stuffed with queso fresca and held togehter with toothpicks prior to deepfrying. Totally homemade.. Enchilada sauce is fresh and awesome. Came with refritos,rice and fresh veggie garnish. I added a can of Tecate to drink. Total was like $7 for everything. Lotta food and very authentic as when I was leaving a van full of Spanish speaking constructon workers were coming in for a late lunch.

I'd like to get back and try the mole and a few other of the non-common dishes they have.

jjjrfoodie
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/20 13:07:30
quote:
Originally posted by jjjrfoodie

I made a trip to Maya's Saturday for lunch and I was one of the few gringos in the place. Hard to find if you even are looking for it from Route 42. Ordered a lunch platter with a chicken enchilada and a chile relleno. Came with endless fresh salsa, and fresh and hot fried tortilla chips. The chile relleno was a fresh (roasted and skinned), yes...fresh... poblano pepper stuffed with queso fresca and held togehter with toothpicks prior to deepfrying. Totally homemade.. Enchilada sauce is fresh and awesome. Came with refritos,rice and fresh veggie garnish. I added a can of Tecate to drink. Total was like $7 for everything. Lotta food and very authentic as when I was leaving a van full of Spanish speaking constructon workers were coming in for a late lunch.

I'd like to get back and try the mole and a few other of the non-common dishes they have.

jjjrfoodie
Sounds great! They have horchada, lengua, menudo and goat by chance?

Here is more on them:

http://foodio54.com/restaurant/Florence-KY/3095d/Mayas-Mexican-Restaurant
dlawson
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/20 17:27:58
quote:
Originally posted by Bonk

Anyone here tried Italianette pizza in Silverton? Got a coupon for it, online reviews looked good, and I'm a sucker for a different pizza.

Curious if anyone on here has an opinion.

My sister's family enjoys it and goes there regularly, but I find it dull in every respect. It is definitely not worth a special trip.
Hungry Matt
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/22 10:54:07
Hey everyone, long time lurker here. My wife and I are planning on going to Pompilios this Friday night. Been a few years since I have been there, and was wondering if the food there is still decent.

Thanks in advance!

Matt
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/22 11:08:19
quote:
Originally posted by Hungry Matt

Hey everyone, long time lurker here. My wife and I are planning on going to Pompilios this Friday night. Been a few years since I have been there, and was wondering if the food there is still decent.

Thanks in advance!

Matt
We were there a little over 4 years ago and enjoyed their pizza. Not quite as excellent as Dewey's Pizza but a whole lot better than the fast food pizza joints.
brittneal
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/22 12:09:11
I know that cinci and dayton are both deprived when it comes to great food. Its just a shame that if we eliminate the posts that feature Pizza, this topic would be only 3 pages.
Give su great seafood! Crab, Clams and lobsters. Dont make us have to make a disney-like pilmgrimige to the east coast to get seafood.
brittt
Page: << < ..2627282930.. > >> Showing page 29 of 56