AnsweredHot!WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Page: << < ..3132333435.. > >> Showing page 31 of 109
Author
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 521
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/07/31 00:18:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Tom of Tom's Pot Pies told me that starting this week, he is going be open evenings 5-10. I didn't ask, but figure this is a temporary deal to see if there is any business in the evening.

So ....hey! You folks in downtown in the evening who complain (and rightfully so I might add) that all the good eating closes up by 5 - go get you a Pot Pie before he changes his mind and goes back to lunch only hours!

I guess you would be talking to me ;)

OK, I can take a hint. I shall try a Tom's Pot Pie.
jmckee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1181
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/07/31 09:50:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by kimmykins

Thanks for the welcome, TJ. I actually haven't tried any of the aforementioned eateries, but have been eyeballing Cheeseburger Cafe for a week or so now. I have eaten at the "sister" restaurant, Skip's Bagel Cafe (or Deli), and it is pretty good. The sandwiches have a nice thick layer of meat which is always nice when you have a thick starch.

I actually wanted to recommend another deli. "Decent Deli" is located at Cornell and Kenwood, in the strip mall behind the Arbys. I have been pretty impressed. An aquaintance of mine is from New York and he eats there at least once or twice a week. I have had the gyro (delicious!) and a wonderful corned beef sandwich. Also sandwiches also come with a potato cake which was really tasty. If any of you have been to Shapiro's in Indy, it has a similar flavor, though the meat is not quite as thick. Also, I have heard people rave about the matzo ball soup, but have yet to try it. You can get a sandwich and potato cake for 4.50 or 5.50, I think.

Decent Deli is really good; I discovered it when I worked in Blue Ash for a few years. I think in many ways it's as good or better than the "chainified" Izzy's.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/07/31 21:26:11 (permalink)
Man, TJ, you finally had me talked into the pot pie place, and I went there at 6 p.m. today and it was closed.

So I guess he wasn't getting any evening business.
Suburban Dad
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/07/31 21:34:38 (permalink)
For the restaurants TJ mentioned...Cheezburger cafe is pretty good especially the make your own burger for $3.99 although I am not a huge fan of the buns. I really enjoy Flying Pizza either the NY slice or Sicilian style, have had the Calzone, but been awhile and I don't remember how much I liked them(not enough to get me to order over the pizza obviously) and if you want a decent gyro in northeast cincinnati, the one at European Cafe in Montgomery is pretty good.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4538
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/01 00:08:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bonk

Man, TJ, you finally had me talked into the pot pie place, and I went there at 6 p.m. today and it was closed.

So I guess he wasn't getting any evening business.

I was just over there today for lunch and he assured me he'd be open....it didn't happen Monday night as he had originally planned.

I'll check in with him tommorrow....sorry about that, Bonk
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/01 01:16:49 (permalink)
Not your fault...I'll give it another shot next week.

tpd
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/01 04:50:22 (permalink)
Another vote here for N.O. To Go. Stopped by the other night right a closing time (an early 7P) but there was no problem ordering carry out like I had planned. Got the short BBQ Shrimp Po Boy dressed. Like others noted, the shrimp was fried to order. They were small but thats a good size for a sandwich. I don't think they changed the seafood for the BBQ version but added sauce to the normal dressings of mayo, tomato and lettuce. The BBQ sauce and mayo blended nicely for a spicy and rich topping. A great sandwich... but I've got to say it doesn't make good in-car eating. I was walking around for the rest of the evening with a big spot on my shirt where one of the overflowing, sauce soaked shrimp landed.

I hope these folks make it. I'm going to have to override my autopilot and turn right at LuLu's from time to time to show my support. The only problem is I'm usually looking for dinner a bit later than 7. I think Mom & Pops are fighting an uphill battle with the reduced hours many of them have. It's understandable when you realize the owners of these places do most of the work themselves. But when the chains are open 'til 10 or later it's also a big disadvantage.
jmckee
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/01 10:34:06 (permalink)
So, Lawson, Brown, TPD....Where do y'all work?
jmckee
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/01 10:46:43 (permalink)
quote:

Tom of Tom's Pot Pies told me that starting this week, he is going be open evenings 5-10. I didn't ask, but figure this is a temporary deal to see if there is any business in the evening.

So ....hey! You folks in downtown in the evening who complain (and rightfully so I might add) that all the good eating closes up by 5 - go get you a Pot Pie before he changes his mind and goes back to lunch only hours!

Well. Much as I hate to disagree with our ammanuensis, Tom Jackson:

My former boss (who left the company in December -- not under his own power and to the sorrow of no one, especially me) was a big Tom's booster. He ordered the pies for a series of lunches he had scheduled for to introduce a new company-wide software he'd insisted on buying. (The software was dreadful and is gone too, but that's another story.)

The pies went over with our staff like a lead balloon. And sat in the gut about the same. Stiff, bland crust. Proportions of chicken and vegetables that verged on the penurious. Thick, gluey filling overthickened with cornstarch. And an overabundance of black pepper in the seasoning -- stale black pepper.

I ate the pies twice in one week and experienced the exact same thing each time. The complaints grew to the point that one of the company's owners (a foodie and excellent cook) ordered my boss to cancel Tom's and get "something decent" in here.

I hope he has changed his recipe or something. I trust Tom Jackson, so I'm assuming that he has.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/01 10:56:48 (permalink)
Jack: If you can give me the name of the company and the timeframe, I can ask the Pot Pie Man about this.

I can say with certainty from conversations that he still tinkers with the recipe - and I don't think he has offered the broccoli pie (my fave of the three by far) til he opened the shop, and the veggie pie is a very, very recent addition.

I just found out that he has a website....needs a lot of updates (like his new offerings), but still.....may have been there all along and I just wasn't aware of it: http://tomspies.com
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/01 11:00:56 (permalink)
Bonk: The Pot Pie Man says you should come by this evening for a free pie - he guarenteed he'd be there

Tell him you're the Roadfood guy who came by Tuesday evening per my post on Roadfood.
jjjrfoodie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 422
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/01 17:59:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jmckee

So, Lawson, Brown, TPD....Where do y'all work?

Hey now, don't forget me...... :)
I'm very near the corner of Route 4 and Mulhauser just north of I-275 in Tri-County.

jjjrfoodie
dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 243
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/01 23:44:49 (permalink)
I'm in the office park behind the Porsche dealership on Northland.

It looks like something new is going in at the old Sabor Peruano location. I want to say it's Sabor Latino, but don't quote me on the name. I remember that the "Sabor" part is maintained, and that it's some sort of Latin cuisine. Not sure if it's open yet, or if it's owned/run by Sabor Peruano.

My wife and I tried Mongos in Mason tonight. It's a bit pricey, and the bowl sizes are pathetic compared to the ones at Ta Han (R.I.P.). $10.95 for one trip, with free rice and tortillas. $12.95 for one trip with the soup and salad bar, and $14.95 for unlimited trips. Fountain drinks are $1.99. The selection of meats, seafood, and vegetables is much better than Ta Han's was, although I wish napa as a choice. (The only cabbage selection is shredded red cabbage that is better suited to the salad bar.) The sauce selection is also larger, but the setup is geared towards selecting one sauce, since you spoon it into a smaller cup and hand it to the cooks on the side, rather than dumping multiple sauces over your uncooked food. I went with the lamb and Tibetan sauce, and my wife went with the shrimp and citrus sauce. Both turned out good, but not great. I would visit again if I happen to be in the area; the $14.95 unlimited bowls is the way to go if you have the time and/or the stomach for it, but we had to be somewhere, and could only squeeze in one bowl each.
franklee
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 64
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/02 00:25:32 (permalink)
Lunchbunch went to New Orleans to Go today and sample just about everything they had. Agree the food is better than average. Red beans and rice excellent, as is their clam and shrimp chowder. Po' Boys were excellent: Beef and gravy fully dressed and bbq shrimp. Hope lack of business doesn't kill them. We were there 11:15 - 1pm... never busy during that time.
frank
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/02 06:00:45 (permalink)
quote:

Bonk: The Pot Pie Man says you should come by this evening for a free pie - he guarenteed he'd be there

Tell him you're the Roadfood guy who came by Tuesday evening per my post on Roadfood.

Went back tonight at 8. Damned good pie -- and I'm not a pot pie zealot. I especially love the crust; it's almost like a croissant.

The $10 meal thing was a bit much to eat, especially since the pies are so big, so I just got the pie and it was $5.50.

Thanks for the recommendation, TJ
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/02 06:03:42 (permalink)
The New Orleans to go sounds pretty sweet, but my girlfriend doesn't like any kind of seafood. Are there many decent non-seafood items on the menu?

I guess I could always go alone...
Bearcat
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/02 07:40:50 (permalink)
I guess I'm a little surprised there wasn't a line of people spilling out onto the sidewalk at Tom's Pot Pies, all calling themselves "Bonk", and trying to mooch a free pot pie.
I'm ashamed of myself for considering doing just that, and more than just a little sorry I didn't attempt it.

Bearcat
tpd
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/02 08:04:06 (permalink)
@Bearcat.... I was thinking the exactly the same thing.

@jmckee I live in Hamilton but work at CVG. I'm chained to my desk for 10 hours from 2p to 12a with no official breaks so I don't get out for meals too often in NKY. I have a long list of places to try when I get a chance.

@Bonk NOtoGo has Roast Beef, BBQ Beef and Cheese Burger PoBoys on the menu. The card I have says they also have red beans and rice until 3PM. And there are the Cajun Wings and Jambalaya too... many non-seafood options. The family was ordering Cheese Burger PoBoys when I was there so they must be good. I didn't get a chance to read the newspaper articles on the wall but the headlines made me think these folks might be refugees from Katrina.

I hope your girlfriend knows what she is missing with the no seafood. I can't imagine living without shrimp, oysters, scallops, crab, wild salmon, trout, catfish, calimari, halibut, redfish, sushi.........
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/02 09:24:02 (permalink)
I think the Pot Pie Man would question more than one fella coming in for a freebie on the basis of missing out Tuesday night :-) Shame on you Bearcat :-)

I'm glad you liked it, Bonk - but he was supposed to give it to you for free.....
franklee
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 64
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/02 10:47:52 (permalink)
New Orleans to go has excellent roast beef and gravy po' boy... and double cheeseburgers (I couldn't believe that one)... also sweet potato pie
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/02 15:26:15 (permalink)
I walked by Rise n Shine today - the "emergency repairs" sign is still in the window.....so I don't hold much hope for the place.

On the other hand, all the fixtures are still in place, no signs of demolition - so there is hope it will reopen at some point, maybe as Rise n Shine, maybe not
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6359
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/02 20:45:20 (permalink)
I too was thinking of stopping by for a try at the pot pie, but alas I never made it in to the city today.

Maybe next week while at children's I will run down the hill and check it out.

arianej
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 205
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/05 01:56:58 (permalink)
Well, with everyone going on about New Orleans to Go, we had to try it out a couple days ago and were very pleased with the results. The shrimp po boy was as good as everyone said-- perfectly cooked shrimp, which is no mean feat, lightly breaded and spiced. I had the waffle fries, which were good, although I'd prefer them without additional spices. My husband had the sweet potato fries, which were interesting, but I'd prefer them without the cinnamon sugar sprinkled on top.

The red beans and rice were very good. Consistency sort of soupier than I expected, like runny refried beans, but with a good meaty, smokey flavor. I could see eating this as my entire meal, which is one of the before-3pm-specials they offer. The special on Thursday was a fried tilapia po boy and they also had sweet potato pie. I regret not being able to try either one, but hey, there's always next time. The fried catfish sounded great, too.

I'm curious about the bbq shrimp... In New Orleans, this usually means shrimp cooked in the shell with a garlic butter sauce. Is that the case here?

I'd definitely go back again. I'm not a big fan of Lulu's in the same shopping strip though, but I guess that's another post.

jjjrfoodie
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/05 13:26:35 (permalink)
I too made a trip over to New Orleans To Go on Friday evening to grab a to-go order in between meetings.
I needed something that would travel well, hence the sandwiches and big stuff were not a choice.

I ended up grabbing the chicken wings (6)--BTW, I nibbled one in the car--and a small red beans and rice. I got sweet spicy sauce on the wings and it was a mixture of honey, chili flakes and spices. The wings are fried naked, and were good and made to order. The red beans and rice were very good as well, and a dousing with tobasco made them perfect.

I"ll get back when I have time to grab a "real" meal.

jjjrfoodie
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/06 10:27:03 (permalink)
Those wings look awesome. Were those barbeque, and how hot were they (still trying to sell the gf on the place)?
dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 243
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/06 12:14:23 (permalink)
I'd like to know more about those wings as well.

My wife and I went to Olives (in the former Clifton Uno/Za location) for brunch yesterday, which starts at 8:00 A.M. on Saturdays and Sundays. The crowd was pretty sparse around 10:30, so there wasn't any sort of din to drown out the orders being barked in the kitchen. The place doesn't look much different indoors; some fresh paint, stenciling, and wall decor seems to be the extent of it. I think the chairs might be the same as well, although they have received a fresh coat of black paint. The salt and pepper mills/shakers are very slick and very cool. When I asked the waitress about them, she told me that they sell them, so we went home with a set.

The brunch menu is pretty standard, consisting of a few scrambles, a few omelettes, and french toast at minimum (I can't remember if waffles were an option). My wife went with the Key West Omelet, which contained turkey, avocado, and asiago. She was less than impressed with the results, since it appears they cooked everything together, resulting in a dry mess of flavors with a greenish tint. Her $1.99 glass of orange juice also left something to be desired, since it wasn't even a ful 8 oz. glass and didn't appear to be fresh-squeezed.

My selection, the "Deutche" eggs, fared considerably better. It's a scramble served over oven-browned sausage with a delicious sauce on top. Both dishes were served over shredded hash browns, which were also very good, and come with your choice of thick-sliced toast. My first toast selection was sourdough, which they were out of (in the first week?), so I went with the wheat. Coffee was also $1.99 for bottomless refills, and the waitresses were extremely vigilant about keeping my cup full and hot.

I didn't spend too much time perusing the lunch menu since we will rarely be able to take advantage of it, but I don't recall seeing anything under $10 on it. I do recall seeing two burgers listed, both of which are 10 oz. and $10.

Brunch was considerably more expensive than anticipated thanks to the shaker set, but my selections were enjoyable. I wouldn't choose Olives over Honey if it's after 11:00 A.M., however.
jjjrfoodie
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/06 19:41:48 (permalink)
That's why I love pic's and the interest they draw. (I ended up eating at home which is far more photo friendly than the car or my office).

While I am no wing expert, they ranked a middle of the road to me but very fair for the price. I let the owner choose the sauce for me (they also have a traditional hot wing sauce and a BBQ IIRC) but this was a nice very mild sweet honey sauce just a teeny bite from the chili flakes. The wings are the drums and wings variety a'la BW-3 and not the bigger tip wings.

All in all quite good.

Just to let you know, the yummy chowder I belive that was mentioned earlier is only served on Tu-Th with the Gumbo on Friday and Sat.
I will try a mid-week visit soon and do Chowder and Jambalya takeaway and get some pics up.

Place was busy when I stopped by so that may be a statement in itself.

Happy eating.

jjjrfoodie
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/06 22:56:05 (permalink)
I was stuck again at work late tonight, and I ended up going to Morton's, who coincidentally had just today re-opened in their new space above Boi Na Brazil

The lobster bisque was decently good - 6-7 dollars good, not 13 dollar good, which is what I paid for it. Portion size was around 12 oz. I was initially impressed with the approx 2 ox chunk of lobster in the serving, but it was rubbery and inedible. The Lyonnaise Potatoes were like fancy homefries, good but not great, particularly at 7 bucks, and the serving size was for 1.

One kinda neat thing: they had misplaced their to-go utensils, so they ended up giving me a real knife, fork, and spoon. I guess I am the answer to the trivia question: "who placed the first carryout order ever at Morton's new downtown Cincinnati location?"
jmckee
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/07 12:27:41 (permalink)
quote:

I was stuck again at work late tonight, and I ended up going to Morton's, who coincidentally had just today re-opened in their new space above Boi Na Brazil

The lobster bisque was decently good - 6-7 dollars good, not 13 dollar good, which is what I paid for it. Portion size was around 12 oz. I was initially impressed with the approx 2 ox chunk of lobster in the serving, but it was rubbery and inedible. The Lyonnaise Potatoes were like fancy homefries, good but not great, particularly at 7 bucks, and the serving size was for 1.

One kinda neat thing: they had misplaced their to-go utensils, so they ended up giving me a real knife, fork, and spoon. I guess I am the answer to the trivia question: "who placed the first carryout order ever at Morton's new downtown Cincinnati location?"

Maybe there's a game: "Roadfood Pursuit."

They had a guy on 9 News Sunday morning with the nearly-unwatchable Jenell Walton, demonstrating their new "bar food" selections.

He did not impress me.
Dan Wathen
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/08 11:44:41 (permalink)
Montgomery Inn for baked Ribs ( a different kind of Bar-B-Q). Skyline Chili ( the essence of Cincy/Greek chili ), the revolving restraunt at the Radisson in Newport overlooking the river is very good as is Mike Finks riverboat ( seafood ) which is moored nearby on the KY side.
Page: << < ..3132333435.. > >> Showing page 31 of 109
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1