AnsweredHot!WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Page: << < ..3132333435.. > >> Showing page 33 of 110
Author
Ghaz
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 83
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/15 12:40:56 (permalink)
It seems like the Enquirer is onto the new Sonic openings:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20070815/LIFE/308150028/
soozycue520
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1031
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/15 15:11:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jmckee

quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Mr McKee is now CincyEater.....very strange.....

I did a switcheroo at the suggestion of a friend who says my "real name" is lame.

I decided reality beats cutesy.

I was wondering how "CincyEater" got so many posts.

I like cutesy {hence, my screen name }
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6394
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/15 15:38:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by dlawson

Yep: http://www.daytondailynews.com/search/content/oh/story/news/local/2007/08/13/ddn081307firefoloweb.html

It doesn't look to be a total loss, however. They say they are hoping to reopen "within 60 days," and the employees will work at their other locations until they reopen.

A discarded cigarette doing $550 K in damages

It is nice that they are allowing their employees the opportunity to work while they are closed.
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/16 00:16:51 (permalink)
I had dinner with a friend at Jean-Ro Bistro tonight. We were having cocktails with plans for dinner. The bartenders at Rockin'Robin's suggested Jean-Ro's, so, since it was in walking distance, we went.

I KNOW THIS IS NOT ROADFOOD, per se, but it is less expensive than Jean-Robert at Pigalls.

The food was excellent. The service was spotty.

I had the Steak Frites, with the sauteed asparagus with lemon compound butter. The steak was cooked to a perfect medium rare. My friend went a different direction and ordered the Gazpacho {it was FABULOUS!!}, and four sides {the asparagus; the New Potatoes with Zest, Scallions, Almonds and Olive Oil; the Medley of Mushrooms; and the Sauteed Spinach ~~the mushrooms and spinach, I must admit, were the best I've ever had!!}.

Everything we ordered was beyond excellent. Food wise. The one thing that threw off the experience was the service. The guy was on top of us for the first half of the time we were there, but when it came time for us to get a box, get a check, and pay, we were there a lot longer than we should have been.

The food is worth every single penny. Service leaves something to be desired. Good food. I will go back.

{Side note: Maybe not every server at Jean-Ro's is like the server we had. It may be an anomaly.}
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/16 00:32:49 (permalink)
I have not been there, but a friend at Rockin' Robin's tonight told me that she had been to the new Morton's for happy hour yesterday. Although the drinks are not cheap, they have an early happy hour, and a late one, as well ~~ 4-6pm, and 9-close.

During these "happy hours", they have $4 appetizers. They consist of a crab dip that contains lumps of crab. There is also an appetizer of mini cheeseburgers that are hand pattied. She claimed both were great!!

No first hand experience here. Just heresay.

I would venture to guess that you need to eat in during happy hour to take advantage of these prices, but it sounds like a place to try.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 532
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/19 11:41:03 (permalink)
Tried Mongo's in Mason yesterday. I liked it as well as BD's, if not better. Selection might have been a little wider, prices about the same, and the wait time to get your food cooked was less, but that was because we went at 8 p.m.

Bonk will definitely be back.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4591
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/19 11:53:32 (permalink)
BDs?
franklee
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 64
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/19 14:49:03 (permalink)
Dewey's Pizza in Hunter's Point, Montgomery Rd, Symmes Township. last Thurs. Didn't care for the salads at all (our group tried the house salad and one of specialties)... pizza was excellent... $15 for medium... but beware... i wanted green olives in place of black olives... wham... $2 bucks plus extra... we had the bronx bomber.. everything... and the original cheese.. both were excellent... mgr wasn't all that friendly when i complained about the $2 add-on... service was okay... servers were very young
franklee
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/19 14:50:30 (permalink)
P.S. on Deweys... salads: limp lettuce that stuck in my throat with hardly a hint of dressing
franklee
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/19 14:54:23 (permalink)
yesterday Findlay Market... Aunt Flora's peach cobbler (gave me a free sample for having to wait 15 minutes for my catfish sandwich) was superb! worth the trip. catfish sandwich was just okay.. didn't taste much like catfish and came in several small pieces which promptly dropped onto the floor...
Mr Pig ribtips take home for dinner... excellent... however, they no longer have sides (or did they ever.. seems to me they used to)... I remember the first time i went there several years ago... ordered bucket of ribtips and they threw in a whole loaf of white bread
Suburban Dad
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/19 23:17:59 (permalink)
BD's is a national mongolian BBQ chain. I believe the nearest one is Columbus. They are opening a local location on Mason Montgomery road about 5 miles away from Mongo's. Should be interesting to see if demand in Mason can satisfy 2 similar restaurants in such close proximity.
franklee
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/20 01:32:39 (permalink)
There's a BD near Dayton in a new shopping center.. The Greene... good... get a couple dollars off if you only go thru once...
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/20 17:24:38 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Suburban Dad

BD's is a national mongolian BBQ chain. I believe the nearest one is Columbus. They are opening a local location on Mason Montgomery road about 5 miles away from Mongo's. Should be interesting to see if demand in Mason can satisfy 2 similar restaurants in such close proximity.

That's a good point. I wonder why BD's picked that spot with Mongo's so close.
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/23 00:29:59 (permalink)
MAN, I really need to start bringing my camera when I dine around town, or get one of those cell phones with a camera!! {Technology ~ Me? Technology challenged }

I went to Olives at the Ludlow Garage {http://www.olivesonludlow.com/ , 342 Ludlow Avenue} tonight. First off, let me mention that they do not have beer or wine yet, but they do have a liquor. Since I drink vodka, this was not a problem for me. They did say the full bar is coming soon.

The server was very helpful, and when asked, she told us the things she would not recommend {which I love}, and the things she highly recommended. {She didn't recommend the veggie ciabatta sandwich and the seafood salad, for inquiring minds.}

My friend and I were kinda into something a little lighter, since it was SOOOO HOT outside. There were so many good things on the menu that we decided to order a few things and share them.

We started with a tomato and buffalo mozzarella salad, with olive oil and a balsamic oil drizzle. Although it was kinda small, I have to say it was one of the best tomato/mozzarella salads I have ever had.

Then we had a mushroom artichoke appetizer that was wrapped in phyllo dough. It was AMAZING!!! My friend said it was the best appetizer she has ever had in her life.

For our entree, we split an orecchiette pasta with sun-dried tomatoes, asparagus, peas, mushrooms and parmesan. I have had sun-dried tomatoes that were tough, but these were rehydrated to the point of deliciousness.

I will definitely be back. The food we picked was excellent, and the menu has a lot to offer.

And they have a cute little display of miniature liquor bottles on the right before you go downstairs. I am also glad that on their menu, they call themselves "Olives at the Ludlow Garage". If you don't know the history of the Ludlow Garage, it is well worth checking out.
franklee
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/23 12:35:54 (permalink)
Anybody else tried the fried pork intestines at Kin Wok on McMillan in Clifton? few doors down from Mediterranean Buffet... most excellent... my friend Bob and I nearly fought over them.. served with two different sauces... plum sauce and a ginger based sauce... always good food there.. lunches from like $5-6.00... and seafood hot and sour soup... not very hot but very tasty.. add a generous dollop of hot oil and, voila!, mama mia that's a good
westsider12
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 131
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/27 08:31:41 (permalink)
Enquirer just reviewed the "new" Morton's - not roadfood per se, but it seems as if the move did not affect the quality of the place.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20070824/ENT01/708240313/
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/28 01:20:15 (permalink)
At some point while I was at work, a Tom's Pot Pies menu was slipped under the wiper blade on my car. Nicely done, with the lunch menu on one side and the dinner menu on the other.

If I was downtown for lunch, I'd probably hit the place fairly often. But the dinner menu comes with two sides and is $10 before a $2 delivery charge. Can't really justify $12 plus tip for dinner too often, but I wish him all the best -- his pot pie is indeed outstanding.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/28 09:58:22 (permalink)
Bonk: I am all but positive he will sell you a pie by itself for 5.50 at any time of the day. I think you need to order a dinner package to get a delivery.....edit....the dinner menu side actually says dinner delivery menu....

I picked up that same menu (on a slick glossy 4x6 square of durable paper, with a friendly eye-catching bright yellow background) when I was in there yesterday, and also noted he has added several menu items - sides, really. Seems like he raised the prices on the fruit pies as well.

Its definitely a work in progress, but he thinks that there is enough housing being developed downtown, particularly on the northern side, to provide him with sustained evening business. I hope he is right.
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/28 18:39:46 (permalink)
RECENT COUPONS I HAVE FOUND:

Pompilio's:
http://www.pompilios.com/images/coupon.gif

Porkopolis:
http://www.porkopolistavern.com/specials.html

Enjoy!
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/29 20:05:11 (permalink)
Here is a link to the Foodie Blog at Cincinnati.com. There is new information on Restaurant Week, Southview's new menu, Vinkolet's wine fest, and a Taste of CLermont County~

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/foodie/
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/30 08:51:01 (permalink)
Didn't know there was a Taste of Clermont. I think I'll check it out though -- thanks for the link :)

Vinkolet -- can't help but hold a grudge against them. When I first moved here, I took a job delivering pizzas. We had several orders to Vinkolet, and the tightwads never tipped.

Thus, I've never gone to their winery, nor have I encouraged others to do the same.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/31 10:30:38 (permalink)
Another one bites the dust.....

The Ollie's Trolley in Covington is no more. The building is already been painted over in white and is being re-done for some other (undisclosed) business.

CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6394
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/31 13:16:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by soozycue520

MAN, I really need to start bringing my camera when I dine around town, or get one of those cell phones with a camera!! {Technology ~ Me? Technology challenged }

yes you do!

I started with my phone taking pix, finally I got a small kodak digital, that I keep close for food pix.
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/31 13:34:59 (permalink)
More restaurant week info:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20070831/ENT01/708310320/
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/31 20:24:16 (permalink)
Another late night stuck at work, another trip to a steakhouse. This time...Morton's again, for a sampling of their new "bar" menu....to go, natch.

First of two: the filet mignon sandwiches. This is nothing more than 4 tiny slices of filet between some cheap sesame seed bun sections. You get about 3 bites out of a single sandwich. They include a mayo-mustard sauce if you want - I didn't - but there are no other toppings. Really, really unimpressive. I recall that Mortons used to offer free filet mignon sandwiches at the bar on certain nights.....I never got to try those, but I suspect these are the same deal only you pay 10 bucks for 4 of them now.

Second of two: prime beef cheesburger sliders, 10 bucks for three. You get 3-4 bites out of a single burger. These were really good, but also really salty. Excellent tender beef, very tasty, nice grilled taste, topped with a good cheddar, with red onion, lettuce, and tomato. The patties are about the diameter of a silver dollar and about 3/4 of an inch thick, and they cook to order despite the small size - my MR order came out about medium, not bad. Very good custom-sized bun as well - lightly toasted insides - they should use these for the steak sandwiches as well.

edit: these bar menu items are only 4 bucks instead of 10 if you buy them at certain times, sorta "happy-hour-ish" very early and very late evening hours.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 249
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/31 21:08:57 (permalink)
I happened to be downtown during the lunch hour today and finally gave Tom's Pot Pies a try. I didn't catch the name of the guy working behind the counter, but a mention of Roadfood didn't faze him.

I tried the Vegetable Pot Pie, which was loaded with carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower. The crust and doughy underside were excellent, and everything tasted quite good at the time, but a rather unpleasant aftertaste manifested itself on my way back to work, and I haven't been able to completely shake it yet. I don't think I'll have the vegetable one again, and I recommend it only if you don't fear the repercussions.

The crust alone has me curious about the two chicken offerings (the outdoor sign advertised the chicken, chicken alfredo, and vegetable), and I plan on going back for dinner at some point.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/02 22:56:46 (permalink)
Hit the new Eastgate Sonic today. I was impressed.

Very good burger (w/bacon and cheese), very good cheese sticks. Service was a tad slow, but that's to be expected with a big crowd and a new establishment. We'll be back again really soon.
ohiosteaklover
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/04 15:21:09 (permalink)
There is a Nathan's Famous hot dog stand opening (or perhaps now open) on UnionCenter Blvd in West Chester, a little north/west of Lakota West HS. Has anyone ever eaten at a Nathan's?
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/04 15:40:07 (permalink)
Yeah, even as a former Chicagoan, I have to say Nathan's are outstanding. The Florence Freedom serve them, and I have at least one every time I go to a game.

They have a slight garlic flavor to them.

I know they've put two Nathan's in movie theaters locally, but I've never tried them. One's in Forest Park, and I think the other one is in Milford.

It sounds like this one isn't part of a theater. I'll have to try that out -- that's good news that Cincinnati is introducing edible hot dogs to its citizens
Ghaz
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 83
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/08 02:45:02 (permalink)
Looks like Cameron Mitchell (Mitchell's Fish Market) will be opening the Rusty Bucket Corner Tavern in the old Nothing But Noodles location in Norwood. It will feature British pub fare and American bar food.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20070907/BIZ01/309070040/
Page: << < ..3132333435.. > >> Showing page 33 of 110
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1