AnsweredHot!WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Page: << < ..3132333435.. > >> Showing page 34 of 110
Author
janifer
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 71
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/08 07:44:58 (permalink)
I don't know what Nathan's is up to now but a couple years back I think they were bought by the same company that owns Arthur Treacher's fish & chips and Kenny Rogers Roasters because they set up three locations here in Tallahassee that were one-stop shops for all three. There was nothing remarkable about Nathan's food that I recall. Wish you guys better luck.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4578
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/12 14:30:10 (permalink)
I stopped into Jordan Valley (http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6632#164094) today and took Ned (the owner) up on his recommendation that I try one of his entree-type dishes instead of my usual gyro or shawarma.

The dish is called Mac Louba, and while I am sure I am describing it inadequately, I think the simplest description I could give it (other than "delicious", which it most certainly was) would be "middle eastern stir fry". Spiced grilled chicken, eggplant, fried potatoes, and cauliflower mixed with lots of his good yellow rice and plenty of spices, most notably tumeric. He serves it with a wet salad of finely diced onion, tomato, bell pepper, and fresh herbs dressed with vinegar and olive oil, and the concept is to get a half bite each of the "stir fry" with a half bite of the salad on your fork and let the flavors mingle in your mouth.

Just outstanding :-)
franklee
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 64
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/12 15:19:05 (permalink)
any recommendations for road food along I-275 between I-74 & I-75? besides Lulu's Noodles; New Orleans to Go, Taqueria? looking for a new adventure tomorrow.. thanks
frankJavascript:insertsmilie('')
tpd
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/12 16:33:01 (permalink)
There's Pit-To-Plate for BBQ just off Hamilton Ave on Compton. Another good place is Mateo's Char-Grill on Rt. 4 just before Taqueria Mercado on the other side of the road. The have Upstate NY style hot dogs, garbage plates and hand formed burgers. Across the parking lot from Mateo's is a Peruvian Chicken place I haven't tried. And further north on 4 is the new location of Sabor Peruano where the big Pedro's used to be.

Let us know where end up.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/12 22:58:12 (permalink)
Random tidbit - nothing solid, but according to http://www.dineoutoften.com/, Del Taco (much talked about on this site as a *much* better fast food taco than Taco Bell - not that this is a lofty target) is trying to expand into Cincinnati. Not sure hw they'll maintain good quality control, given their base is much further west, but hope springs eternal :-)
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15272
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/13 06:30:35 (permalink)

TJ
Don't set your sights too high for Del Taco. I have experienced them in several of the SoCal locations and do find them above Taco Bell, but not above any of the multitude of other Taco Chains. Just one more grade B- Mexican FF stop.
zataar
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1440
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/14 07:51:07 (permalink)
A friend of mine has just started teaching at the University of Cincinnati. Anywhere I can direct her that is interesting. She is definitely into good food of all kinds, roadfood, ethnic, eclectic. Thanks in advance.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/14 12:03:59 (permalink)
Zataar: There are other Cincinnati readers who know the good ethnic places far better than I, so I will skip most of that and only talk about what I have experienced and liked in that area. In particular, there are several Indian restaurants on Ludlow, which borders the north edge of the main campus.

Both just south of the main campus:

Mac's Pizza Pub: Very good pizza, an excellent cooked-to-order charburger, and a wonderful deep-fried calzone called a Macover. Not expensive. On McMillan.

Floyd's. I don't know what else they serve, because I always get the outstanding broiled chicken and garlic lima beans. On Calhoun.

Make sure she gets over to Camp Washington Chili for (of course) chili, but also for goetta (local breakfast speciality) and for a double-decker sandwich. About 2 miles west of main campus, just on the other side of I-75
zataar
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/14 12:41:17 (permalink)
Thanks TJ! That should get my friend started.
For my own information, what are the garlic lima beans like? Those sound like something I'd like to try on my own. Any tomato in them?
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15272
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/14 12:42:59 (permalink)

Zataar,
Remind your friend that Jungle Jims AND Costco have two outlets each on the North and Northeast side of Town. Shopping for Food in Cincinnati can be a very good experience !!
soozycue520
  • Total Posts : 1031
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/14 12:44:46 (permalink)
There is a BBQ cook off in CIncy this weekend at Jim Dandy's Family BBQ in Sharonville:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20070914/ENT01/709140304/

If anyone goes, please fill us in. {I can't~have to work!}
zataar
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/14 12:49:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Zataar,
Remind your friend that Jungle Jims AND Costco have two outlets each on the North and Northeast side of Town. Shopping for Food in Cincinnati can be a very good experience !!

Thanks Al! I totally forgot about Jungle Jim's, I know she would like that. She is a Costco member, too!
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/14 13:21:27 (permalink)
zataar~

I live near UC, and can give a few suggestions.

Here is a link to Floyd's. A warning that they are not always open when they say they are, and they take a lot of vacations, but they usually post them:
http://www.floydscincy.com/

Myra's Dionysus is next door to Floyd's on Calhoun. Their menu is very diverse, and they have 8 soups a day:
http://www.myrasrestaurant.com/

Olives on Ludlow is my new favorite:
http://olivesonludlow.com/

On Ludlow Ave. is Graeter's Ice Cream, Skyline Chili, Dewey's Pizza, Keller's IGA {great grocery store} and Mediterrean Foods.

On McMillian is Pomodori's Pizza, my favorite:
http://www.pomodoris.net/

There are a lot of places on McMillan near Mac's.
http://www.macspizzapub.com/

Maki Sushi is new.
http://rodeo.cincinnati.com/f2/dining/details.aspx?siteid=0&id=10447&lid=10557&cID=2

Chicago Gyro's is good.
http://www.cliftonheights.org/Merchants/Dining/Chicago%20Gyro/ChicagoGyro.html

And King Wok:
http://rodeo.cincinnati.com/f2/dining/details.aspx?siteid=0&id=361&lid=531&cID=2

German/Hungarian at Christy's/Lenhardt's:
http://www.christysandlenhardts.com/

There are others, but I'm sure this will keep your friend busy for a minute!!
zataar
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/14 18:13:23 (permalink)
Thanks soozy, TJ and Al, The information has been forwarded and greatly appreciated.
Ghaz
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 83
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/15 03:01:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by soozycue520

There is a BBQ cook off in CIncy this weekend at Jim Dandy's Family BBQ in Sharonville:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20070914/ENT01/709140304/

If anyone goes, please fill us in. {I can't~have to work!}

There's a cook off at Turfway Park in Florence as well

http://www.turfway.com/general.asp?id=151
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/15 10:38:15 (permalink)
Who's turning in this recent run of Cincinnati reviews? Mr Gene's Doghouse, Golden Lamb, Zips etc.....the name at the bottom of the reviews tends not to match up well with the forum name
franklee
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/15 10:50:46 (permalink)
My friend and I wound up at New Orleans to Go - she had never been there. And am I glad. The shrimp po' boy was the best I've ever tasted! She got the oyster plate... I normally don't like cooked oysters, but I'm here to tell you they were excellent! Even the Diet Pepsi tasted good!
Will try the suggested places on Route 4 next time it's my turn to choose for our lunch bunch.
frank
tpd
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/17 01:50:05 (permalink)
I've been meaning to get back to N.O.ToGo... Did you get the Shrimp PoBoy straight up, or BBQ Style? I got mine BBQ Style and Dressed. What a good sandwich. The BBQ Sauce and Mayo blended into a delicious if shirt staining topping. Loved it. I want to try some of the "One Pot" dishes they offer. These folks can cook!

Let us know if you try any of the RT. 4 places. I've only been to Matteo's Char Broil (corrected name) once and had a couple of really good red hot dogs. I'd like to know what someone else thinks, especially if they have something else. BTW the Peruvian Chicken place is across the little street at the end of the strip mall, behind Blockbuster.
jjjrfoodie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 422
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/17 16:57:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tpd

. BTW the Peruvian Chicken place is across the little street at the end of the strip mall, behind Blockbuster.

I stopped in the chicken place back in february to grab a menu, but nothing on it seemed overly Peruvan. I was looking for plantains or a variety of meats of veggies or sides that broke the norm as I eat just about anythnig. Nothing sturck my fancy and it seemed like a Kenny Rogers Roasters with a bunch of fried side items but nothing different.

Stop in and grab a menu or even a bite. I'd love to hear wht you find.

jjjrfoodie

soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/17 21:41:43 (permalink)
According to the Cincinnati.com Foodie Blog, Black Forest & Nick's Chops and Chaser's have closed. These are both big losses. They were both institutions!!

A comment by a reader asked if anyone knows anything about Vinyl. He stopped by a couple of times on a Friday and Saturday evening, and they were closed. I must say good riddance to this place, if this is true. However, I thought the owners were opening up some other clubs in the Main St. District.
kimmykins
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/18 01:17:20 (permalink)
Hi again all. Thought I'd post about a few places I have eaten in the past couple weeks. Please bear with me if you guys have discussed these places ad nauseum or are known institutions -- I'm new-ish to Cincy.

Went to Arthur's Cafe in Hyde Park a couple times. I know their "boursin burger" is quite popular, and deservedly so. However, last Friday, I happened to try their special, the Fried Flounder. Wow! That was a good fish sandwich. Apparently, the fried flounder is only prepared on Friday, but it is delicious, even better than their regular fish sandwich on the menu, the cod (which is also pretty good). The outside was perfectly fried, nicely crispy on the edges, especially. The outside was not heavily battered, and was a nice alternative to the typical beer-battered, heavy fried fish pub sandwich. It comes with fries and priced well at $6.50. My only complaint is that I wasn't very fond of the sub roll they used. It's a bit too dense, but the fish itself was delicious!
kimmykins
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/18 01:24:59 (permalink)
So, I have been feen'ing for some fish and chips lately and heard that the best ones can be found at Cock and Bull in Covington. Apparently, it regularly is awarded the "Best Fish and Chips" award in various publications. Eh... I'd give 'em a 6.5 to 7. I'm not saying they weren't tasty or that I didn't finish the plate, but perhaps I was expecting a taste orgasm after reading so many ringing endorsements. I thought the homemade tartar sauce was a bit too tart. The fish itself was pretty good, but I believe I liked the ones from De'Shas better. Any way, what do you all think? Have you guys been to "Cock and Bull?"
kimmykins
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/18 01:38:37 (permalink)
All right, last review of the night. Last week, DH and I tried The Silver Spring House in Montgomery/Symmes Township. Apparently, they are well known for their rotisserie/grilled chicken. DH ordered, oh I forget the name... It was some kind of special burrito with their famous chicken. I ordered a dinner platter (breast and wing) of their specialiaty grilled chicken and we also shared some fish and chips. I would say the results were a mixed bag.

The burrito was quite good and really delicious. It came with a black bean salad and blue tortilla chips, which was a nice accompaniment.

My dinner platter of their grilled chicken was subpar at best. It came with fries and coleslaw. The chicken was just so daggone dry! Perhaps the dark meat would be juicier, but over-grilling white meat chicken is quite easy and apparently my line chef was not very adept at it. The coleslaw was good, though.

Ok, so the worst part of the meal was the fish. I start eating a few bites of fish, and initially, it's OK. Definitely not the best I have had, but also not the worse. So, as I'm biting into a thicker piece, my tongue encounters a lukewarm to cold sensation and the texture has definitely changed from flakey to firm. Apparently The Silver Spring House serves frozen fish pieces. I was disappointed, to say the least. I guess the question is, should I be disappointed? Should I expect a local restaurant with a good reputation to serve fish they hand-batter/bread?

Other than the food, the service was good and the manager did comp us part of the meal since the fish was clearly undercooked. The atmosphere was nice as they have a large indoor/outdoor area which is great on a late summer/early fall day.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 531
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/18 01:51:25 (permalink)
DH=designated hitter? Don Ho? Dining homey?

Anyway, thanks for the all the info.
franklee
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/18 02:59:51 (permalink)
A Senegalese restaurant on the west side... actually it's probably in Northside... intersection of Montana & Colerain... Darousalam... fare seems to be similar to the restaurant (can't think of its name) on Vine Street out by Drake Hospital. And like two other African restaurants I've been to in Cincinnati area, the menu mostly doesn't reflect what they're serving at the moment. Saturday, there were only 2 luncheon items available.. a fish stew and mafe Yap which is what i wanted anyhow... a lamb stew in peanut sauce... $7 for lunch.. raised prices by $1 last week. Not quite as good as the Vine Street restaurant, but convenient.. their menu says they're open 7 days noon til 11pm... I'll be going back... i do like lamb stew..
Mr.Br0wn
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/18 08:37:25 (permalink)
I had another great lunch @ New Orleans to Go and also a nice conversation with the young lady that runs the show there. She asked where I had heard about the restaurant and I told her roadfood.com to which she replied. "your not the one taking pictures of the wings are you?" I told her I was not that I was the one wondering why there was never any iced tea lol.She told me she had a problem with a supplier and there is plenty of iced tea now. when I ordered my lunch I asked for a side of Oysters (they were so good on the Po boy last time I wanted just oysters) and she was very accommodating to my request then suggested a pineapple soda from Louisiana that they go and get when they visit. I had Oysters(perfectly cooked) BBQ Shrimp Po Boy(loads of shrimp) and Jambalaya(perfect spices and meat in every bite)I will have to give my latest stop to NO2GO a number 10.
kimmykins
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/18 09:32:25 (permalink)
Bwah!!! I liked "dining homey" best, but all your suggestions were pretty clever. Unforunately, however, DH is the much more pedestrian "dear husband". I lurk on a few other forums where it is part of the vernacular.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 248
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/18 09:57:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by franklee

A Senegalese restaurant on the west side... actually it's probably in Northside... intersection of Montana & Colerain... Darousalam...

That would be Northside, and it's technically West Fork and Colerain since Montana "ends" by the former BP at the I-74 ramp. I live within walking distance of this place, but haven't been yet. At times, it's difficult to tell if they're even open, and I could have sworn the place was on fire a couple of weeks ago with all of the smoke billowing out of their chimney. It sounds like I'll have to give it a try, since I'm a fan of Teranga, but rarely travel that part of Route 4. Thanks for mentioning it!
jjjrfoodie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 422
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/18 19:38:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Br0wn

I had another great lunch @ New Orleans to Go and also a nice conversation with the young lady that runs the show there. She asked where I had heard about the restaurant and I told her roadfood.com to which she replied. "your not the one taking pictures of the wings are you?" I told her I was not that I was the one wondering why there was never any iced tea lol.

Sounds like I was the perp who posted up the wing pics.
I did not take the pic at the restaurant (if it was indeed me,) but in the comfort of my own home.
Hope there was not a problem with the representation of the food. It was indeed delicious and looked great as the pics.

I did swing by NOTG today for a quick lunch carryout to try the Jambalaya and the chowder. Sadly I am still at work and worked thru lunch so it will be my dinner 2nite.
I'll post pics as long as the NOTG girls do not have a problem. I hope.

jjjrfoodie
tpd
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/18 20:39:07 (permalink)
I hope they don't mind the free publicity. I thought the wings looked great too.

I have seen some threads on other forums about restaurant employees getting bent out of shape about people taking pictures at the table. Apparently the popularity of food blogs has lead to more and more people doing this. I guess in higher end place it might seem a little declasse. And taking a bunch of flash photos might get annoying but people need to relax a bit.
Page: << < ..3132333435.. > >> Showing page 34 of 110
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1