AnsweredHot!WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Page: << < ..3637383940.. > >> Showing page 36 of 109
Author
jdavis27
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/10/23 11:14:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by soozycue520

Went to the Bombay Oven tonight {the old Mayura}. Apparently, they just opened Friday night.

I wasn't all that hungry. I just went with a friend who wanted Indian and a companion.

She got the vegetarian sampler meal {choice of 2 veggie dishes with rice, poori, papadum, raita and a dessert - $13.95}. She claimed it was better than Mayura. I tried the raita, and found it much better than others in Clifton.

I had veggie Pakoras, and onion fritter thing and garlic naan. The garlic naan was the best I've had in a long time. I wasn't a huge fan of their tomato/onion chutney, though.

Our server tried really hard to make us feel at home.

I would say so far, so good!!

I went there on the opening night and last night as well. I think they are the best Indian place in Clifton and I've been to all of them. I've had the palek paneer and the veggie korma, my boyfriend has had the salmon masala (which wasn't on the menu they made it special) and the tandoori sampler which had chicken, salmon, shrimp and lamb. I used to be the one begging him to take me for Indian but now he's begging me.

I don't think many people know it is open yet, opening night there was a table of 3 when we arrived and no one else came in. Last night there was no one when we arrived and one 2 top came in as we were leaving. They are very nice, so if you are in Clifton go check it out!
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4535
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/10/23 12:48:15 (permalink)
Welcome to the forum, jdavis :-)
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/10/24 11:18:55 (permalink)
I tried out Martinos on Vine (across from Bogart's in Corryville) last night with my eldest (6yo) daughter. I was a little leary after seeing that the place had the look of a college bar (pool tables, video games, cheap tables and chairs) that happened to serve food rather than a restaurant with a liquor license, but they assured me that despite the lack of a kids menu they were happy to serve folks of all ages.

I was suprised at the sprawling menu - 8 pages worth - as I had always heard that Martino's was an italian restaurant. Italian was well represented, but their were plenty of other non-italian choices. I settled on a cheese pizza and a lasagna dinner, splitting each with my daughter. The pizza was very good, and for 5.25 a good deal as well. The lasagna (10 bucks) was excellent, with plenty of sauce, particularly if you like a lot of baked cheese, which I do. The salad that came with it looked unremarkable but was suprisingly good with their raspberry vinegrette dressing. My daughter asked me as we walked through the rain back to our car if we could return again soon.....she's very picky, so this was the single clearest sign of success. One fairly major quibble - avoid the bathrooms if you are a clean freak. Not good.

On my next visit, I'll probably try the stromboli and one of the many italian-style subs, some of which include prosciutto. Or maybe the homemade gnocchi.

http://www.martinosonvine.com/
westsider12
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 131
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/10/25 14:04:06 (permalink)
The hoagies are fantastic - the large is literally two feet long.

Ate lunch at Hathaways downtown today - I was expecting a lot from the burger and was somewaht let down. It was definitely not frozen but not anything special on top of that. No reason not to go back but no compelling reason to do so anytime soon.

Maybe next time I'll try breakfast.
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

I tried out Martinos on Vine (across from Bogart's in Corryville) last night with my eldest (6yo) daughter. I was a little leary after seeing that the place had the look of a college bar (pool tables, video games, cheap tables and chairs) that happened to serve food rather than a restaurant with a liquor license, but they assured me that despite the lack of a kids menu they were happy to serve folks of all ages.

I was suprised at the sprawling menu - 8 pages worth - as I had always heard that Martino's was an italian restaurant. Italian was well represented, but their were plenty of other non-italian choices. I settled on a cheese pizza and a lasagna dinner, splitting each with my daughter. The pizza was very good, and for 5.25 a good deal as well. The lasagna (10 bucks) was excellent, with plenty of sauce, particularly if you like a lot of baked cheese, which I do. The salad that came with it looked unremarkable but was suprisingly good with their raspberry vinegrette dressing. My daughter asked me as we walked through the rain back to our car if we could return again soon.....she's very picky, so this was the single clearest sign of success. One fairly major quibble - avoid the bathrooms if you are a clean freak. Not good.

On my next visit, I'll probably try the stromboli and one of the many italian-style subs, some of which include prosciutto. Or maybe the homemade gnocchi.

http://www.martinosonvine.com/
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/10/26 09:08:28 (permalink)
Quoting from Chowhound (http://www.chowhound.com/topics/453616):

johnbycz Oct 24, 2007 08:13AM

The Szechuan Wok in Silverton is my favorite Chinese restaurant in Cincinnati, and we learned when we ate there on Friday that it's closing for good around Nov. 13. The owner and the chef are both retiring. The owner has sold the building and doesn't know what the new owner will do.

This is sad. The Wok was old-fashioned Chinese done right. It had a real cook in the kitchen, and no buffet. It was the first Chinese restaurant ever to offer me my choice of heat, and their hot really was hot. Love the yu-shaing pork. We've been eating there for 20 years and we're going to miss it terribly.

BillC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 119
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/10/26 19:33:05 (permalink)
quote:

Quoting from Chowhound (http://www.chowhound.com/topics/453616):

The Szechuan Wok in Silverton is my favorite Chinese restaurant in Cincinnati, and we learned when we ate there on Friday that it's closing for good around Nov. 13. The owner and the chef are both retiring. The owner has sold the building and doesn't know what the new owner will do.

This is sad. The Wok was old-fashioned Chinese done right. It had a real cook in the kitchen, and no buffet. It was the first Chinese restaurant ever to offer me my choice of heat, and their hot really was hot. Love the yu-shaing pork. We've been eating there for 20 years and we're going to miss it terribly.

Wow, I didn't know this place stayed open that long. We ate there frequently from the mid-80's to early 90's and then moved to NKY and never went back. It was exactly as johnbycz describes. The owner would offer you a glass of plum wine after your meal (no charge, it was part of the meal). Somehow, I thought they closed, but obviously I was wrong. At least they were in it long and succesfully enough to retire.
soozycue520
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1031
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/10/31 21:21:31 (permalink)
Went to Olives for dinner Sunday night for my daughter's birthday. And I remembered my camera this time.

Here's half the menu

Appetizers-Stuffed yukon gold potatoes and mushroom & artichoke struedel. In the back is butter with chopped olives mixed in & bread.

My son-in-law had the NY strip with parsnip & horeradish whipped potatoes.

My daughter had the filet with gnocchi.

I had chicken fricasse' with asparagus tips, artichokes and lemon pepper sauce.

And since I was taking pictures, my granddaughter wanted me to photograph her grilled cheese and mandarin oranges.

They have a $7.50 lunch special which is a half sandwich with either a cup of soup or house salad. This is a really good deal. I have eaten here numerous times now, and not had anything bad yet. Sometimes the service leaves a little to be desired, though.
jjjrfoodie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 422
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/11/04 09:31:57 (permalink)
Soozycue, your meals all looked delicious. I'll have to get over there soon to give it a try.

On another "try it" note, I made it up to Hi Bombay! Indian restaurant at the recommendation of one of the members here after I was raving on about my regular Taj place in Tri-County.

I got the Chicken korma, baingan bharta and a side of garlic naan.

Considering most of the local Indian places are "cookie cutter", this place came to the table with some different twists. The Korma was the more common European style "white sauce" vaariety with lots of cilantro, and the eggplant dish was awesome and of the correct consistancy for once.

Give it a few weeks and I will get back to try a few more items on the menu. What I had tho was great.

jjjrfoodie

On a side note, one of you mentioned about the El Pollan Peruvian restaurant on Rt 4. (not to be confused with Sabor Peruano out that way as well). I stopped by El Pollon, but found the menu options blah.
Here's a pic. Hope it helps.

Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 521
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/11/11 02:22:58 (permalink)
Haven't posted in about of month because I've been so busy, so to catch up...

-- TJ - You're totally right about Mythos. There are good gyros to be had in Cincinnati, and that place isn't one of them. Mediocre describes it perfectly.

-- Hotdogginit rules. Went back a couple weeks ago. Dogs were great, Italian beef is good (not great only because Portillo's in Chicago is the only place that gets that distinction) ;) . It's hilarious because there's a Domino's next door, and some people apparently order food from there.

-- Mongo's in Mason is awesome. Went back a while ago, and the food was every bit as good as it was the first time. Good service, too.

-- Soozycue - Wasn't interested in Olive's until you posted the pics. My gf is kinda picky, so we only go to places that post menus online, and she wasn't thrilled with it. After seeing the food pictures and hearing the rave reviews, though...I want to try it out.

jjjrfoodie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 422
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/11/11 17:14:25 (permalink)
Seems the Encore Bistro and Cafe' group (nee Sturkey's) is the latest to shutter it's doors for a least a while. Four locations in the Tri-state and no news as to which ones are affected ( I can confirm the Mason site is from an high-up employee I know ) but I will assume they all are.

Loved their place in Wyoming, but the quick expansion always takes its toll.

Sad indeed.

jjjrfoodie
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/11/12 20:24:46 (permalink)
John Materese talked about the Encore closings on the 6pm segment of "Don't Waste Your $$" {Channel 9 news}. He said he tried to call all Cincy locations and there was no answer at any of them.

Bonk~FYI...
Everything I've had at Olives has been good, but I've talked to a couple of people who had the NY strip, and said it was not cut correctly, therefore it was tough.

EDITED TO ADD:
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071113/BIZ01/311130031/1076/BIZ
dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 243
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/11/16 14:24:47 (permalink)
Le's Vietnamese Cuisine is closed. The sign is still up, but the space is cleared out. Sad, but not unexpected. I went several times during "peak" lunch hour and was the only one in there.
pegster047
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/11/16 17:22:36 (permalink)
Hi Everyone-I'm leaving the Sunshine state for Thanksgiving in Green Hills-since my in-laws have lived there all their lives, is there any new and exciting places I can introduce them to in the suburbs while I'm in the Sin-City? BTW- we do have a Skyline in Clearwater, my husband swears by it...thanks for any and all help!!!
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/11/18 22:38:24 (permalink)
Since you'll be in Greenhills, you are close to Jungle Jim's. You've probably been there, but it is always worth a mention.
http://www.junglejims.com/

On Dixie Hwy, near JJ's is a new place that I've heard great reviews about, but I've not tried it.
http://www.matteoscharbroil.com/

The peruvian place that jjjrfoodie commented on above is nearby, as well.

There is a cajun place in Tri-County that people on this forum rave about. Read back a page or two.

Hope you enjoy your stay in Cincy!!

Ghaz
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 82
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/11/19 01:21:47 (permalink)
quote:

There is a cajun place in Tri-County that people on this forum rave about. Read back a page or two.

That would be New Orleans To Go

http://www.neworleanstogopoboysandmo.com/

Nice to see that they finally have an online menu as well

http://neworleanstogopoboysandmo.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/docs/NO_2_GO_CARRYOUT.30994312.pdf

Haven't tried them yet myself, but based on the recommendations here I plan on it the next time I'm up that way.
franklee
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 64
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/11/19 03:06:07 (permalink)
new indian buffet "grand india buffet" at chester and kemer roads has the best indian food i've ever eaten, hands down. goat curry! both vegetarian and meat choices. ask for hot sauce from the kitchen.... give it a 9 for indian cuisine.. i think they've already upper lunch prices from $6.99 to $7.99... dinners.. separate from buffet are kinda price..$12 range... frank
dlawson
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/11/19 21:21:33 (permalink)
franklee, would you rate Grand India Buffet above Hi Bombay! and everything in Clifton? I work near the buffet and have passed it several times, but I haven't been inside because, well, it looks like a buffet, if you catch my drift. I believe their sign mentions southern Indian cuisine as well. Do they do dosas?
franklee
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/11/20 01:47:29 (permalink)
I'm not all that familiar with Clifton, but I'm told by one of the people at Grand India Buffet that they have another restaurant in Clifton. I assume (but don't KNOW) they have dosas.. I know it looks like a buffet and i as hesitant to go until the convenience factor drove me there a couple of weeks ago. tandoori chicken is second only to one other place I've been (and it's closed now)... don't like the soups, but i'm from the south (of the U S) and like much heartier fare than Indian soups I've tried
Frank
jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1178
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/11/20 12:41:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by dlawson

franklee, would you rate Grand India Buffet above Hi Bombay! and everything in Clifton? I work near the buffet and have passed it several times, but I haven't been inside because, well, it looks like a buffet, if you catch my drift. I believe their sign mentions southern Indian cuisine as well. Do they do dosas?

My problem has been that the Asian buffet that was there before was so lousy......
franklee
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/11/20 13:03:37 (permalink)
shoot me if you don't like it, but i've been there twice and have been there w/ two different persons and all three of us agree the food was superb.. not fair, not good, not okay, but superb.... bon appetit
frank
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/11/20 13:27:34 (permalink)
Probably an entirely different set of owners and operators, Jim, from the sound of it.

I too recall the chinese buffet once housed there as being substandard.
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/11/20 14:17:41 (permalink)
Speaking of Indian {and Clifton}, I went back to Bombay Oven the other day. Service took a very long time {15 min. to order, another 35 min. to get food}, and when we did get our food, it was the wrong food. Apparently, the table next to us got our food {before us}.

Oh well, they are no Swami!!
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/11/20 14:43:51 (permalink)
Is there a general consensus (excluding buffets, and no offense intended FL) on the best, or the top 3 to 5 Indian Restaurants in greater Cincinnati? I have very little experience with Indian Food.

(I do realize that to many in the national RF readership, this is like asking who makes the best pizza in Seattle or the best bbq in Maine, but hey, this thread is about good eats in Cincy :-) )
Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/11/20 18:44:22 (permalink)
quote:

Is there a general consensus (excluding buffets, and no offense intended FL) on the best, or the top 3 to 5 Indian Restaurants in greater Cincinnati? I have very little experience with Indian Food.

(I do realize that to many in the national RF readership, this is like asking who makes the best pizza in Seattle or the best bbq in Maine, but hey, this thread is about good eats in Cincy :-) )

I'd cast my vote for Ambar in Clifton and Guru in Ft. Mitchell, KY which are actually owned by the same folks.

dlawson
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/11/20 23:02:01 (permalink)
I have also run into service delays at The Bombay Oven, but they did get our food right. It was good, but not as good as Mayura was. Hi Bombay! is our current favorite.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/11/22 22:31:54 (permalink)
With all the talk re: Olives in Clifton, I thought I'd mention that there is a 2-for-1 dinner coupon for Olives in the most recent CinWeekly. Good only Mon-Wed, but still......
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/11/28 14:42:53 (permalink)
Carried out a wood-fired pizza from the much-buzzed Via Vite (on Fountain Square)

While it is an attractive looking pizza, the charred crust remained limp and overall it lacked much taste. I asked for and was given a little extra sauce on the side, and this too lacked flavor. The menu denotes that for 4 dollars extra, you can have buffalo mozzerella in place of regular mozzerella, but for the 10-13 dollar price per baseline 9" pie, I think they should include it.

The fresh basil and olive oil pour added post-baking are nice touches

If you decide you want to try one, go between 3 and 5 when I am told the price drops to 7 bucks per pie, which is a bit closer to reasonable.

I worry about this place. if it is unpopular, and goes out of business, you end up with a very prominent empty building right there on the so-called jewel of the city. More risk than I would have accepted.
Ghaz
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 82
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/11/29 01:52:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by franklee

I'm not all that familiar with Clifton, but I'm told by one of the people at Grand India Buffet that they have another restaurant in Clifton.

It looks like that would be Apna

http://apnaindianrestaurant.com/contact.html
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/11/29 02:29:27 (permalink)
As to Indian in Cincinnati, it seems that most are connected.

Bombay Oven and Hi!Bombay are jointly owned.

Ambar is involved in many other places in the Greater Cincinnati area.

Amol, which is literally next door to Ambar, is a result of a feud within the same family.

And now, Apna has joined the crowd {right across the street from Ambar and Amol}. Other locations can be found by following links posted by Ghaz.

Each of these restaurants have a location in the Clifton area. It seems that competition is on the forefront, here in Clifton.

Personally, I don't like Ambar.

I have not yet tried Apna.

Bombay Oven started out friendly, but the service, and tomato/onion chutney lacks. And they claimed they were going to be different by offering dosas, which they haven't yet.

Amol has good food and tomato/onion chutney, but sometimes the owners lear at you like you are a spy. But they still have the best food of all of the Indian restaurants in Clifton.

In my humble opinion.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/11/29 08:57:03 (permalink)
quote:

Bombay Oven and Hi!Bombay are jointly owned.

Are you sure about this? I only ask because we recognized the manager (?), who used to work at Hi Bombay. He told us that he had been fired from Hi Bombay, and made it sound like The Bombay Oven was his own project.
Page: << < ..3637383940.. > >> Showing page 36 of 109
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1