AnsweredHot!WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Page: << < ..3637383940.. > >> Showing page 38 of 110
Author
vudutu
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 23
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/01/01 10:35:05 (permalink)
Hi TJ, thanks for the welcome.
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Welcome to Roadfood, VuDuTu....what did you think of Terry's Turf Club, which suddenly has a lot of mostly positive buzz?

I for one love it, I wrote it up on Chowhound in October,

"New? How new? Newest hot spot for me is Terry's Turf Club. Remember the old Neons? Well Terry got bored fishin I guess and he is back. It's on Eastern a bout a block west of Bella Lunas. Killer Burgers, get the blu burger, forget Zip's, very sloppy, ask for a roll of paper towels, you will need it. Good fish too, he even has a Fois Gois burger!

vudutu Oct 09, 2007 08:30AM"

We have been going since last summer, I heard about Pollys review a week or so ago and we went last Friday, it was packed, I miss my sleep little hide out. I posted this on Cincinnati.com the next day.

"at 9:50 AM vudutu said...
"Well the word is out, *$#%! you Polly, you have ruined it, it was swamped last night, I just hope it settles down so I can have my bar back, we have been enjoying TTC for months and even threw a bday party there. We love the burgers and I keep telling Terry he needs to serve them with a roll of towels they are so juicy. The Salty Dogs rock and catch the place later at night when he is experimenting on the grill. Yea I agree, the fries need to be cut smaller or fried longer and I am trying to get him to stock Frisches Tarter sauce to dip em in. If we want our seat back at the bar guess we will just have to get their eariler or later till the crowds clear out."

Admittedly I am a little biased since I have know Terry longer than I care to admit, pre Neons even. Looking forward toi the outside deck.

vudutu
jjjrfoodie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 422
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/01/01 18:50:04 (permalink)
For those that do follow along and shop the small purveyors and mom-and-pop places, I found it odd but interesting that the Don Pablos' in Tri-County has decided to shutter it's door and sell off to BW-3's due to lack of business.

In this chain heavy world where the 3 hour wait for the Cheese Factory seeoms fine, that such a big player would take such a big hit.

I find the DP food OK, but they are always more than packed, which makes me think others like it a LOT more than me.

Hmmmm.....circle of life guess.

jjjrfoodie

TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4564
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/01/01 22:33:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by franklee

new indian buffet "grand india buffet" at chester and kemper roads has the best indian food i've ever eaten, hands down.

I convinced my wife to give Indian food a try - she's never had it before, with me the "grizzled veteran" of 3 previous visits to an Indian buffet - and since we had a babysitter (one of my sisters) I took her out on your recommendation to Grand India Buffet. We were the only diners there the entire time, with two more arriving just as we left. Dinnertime buffet is 9.99, beverage and tax are extra.

We were able to sample a number of different things - naan, bhatura, three different curries (lamb, chicken, and meatball, the last of which was the mildest, tastiest, and also probably the least authentic), bright red tandoor chicken, a couple of varieties of pakoras, sambar, coconut soup, saag paneer......etc etc etc. I figured this was good for a first try since I had no idea whether she'd like anything, and she would probably find at least something she could tolerate but trying small samples of a number of different dishes. After the first plate, noting that they have dosas on the menu, I ordered one of these also well.

I thought everything was pretty good - not great, but solidly good. We both liked the mildest curry the best, and the hottest one (the chicken, oddly) the least. The naan was the best I've had so far, but I'v only ever had it at one other place, Akash on 6th downtown, and I know they are on no one's "best of" list. I took the bhatura as poori, but a helpful staff person told me poori and bhatura are quite different. I told him I'd have to try the poori off the menu next time. He was also quite glad to see I ordered the dosa, telling me that only one other place in town - Udipi - even makes these, and then comped it - "It's New years" he said. Nice, especially when you know they were losing money hand over foot that night with only us there. The wife had some kind of roasted green beans she also thought were good, but I forget what these were called. I did not think the green bean was a part of indian cuisine? I tried all the fried appetizers - the veggie pakora was again my favorite - and was surprised not only in the extreme differences in spice heat between them but also that there were no warnings about the heat level on any of the labels....about a third of the offerings had no label at all.

One question, folks - my understanding of "tikka masala" I that it is a sauce of butter, cream, tomatoes, onions, and spice, but I could tell no difference between the chicken tikka masala and the chicken curry, in seperate pans on opposites sides of the buffet station. Should there not be a notable difference?

I'm not sure we'll be back anytime soon, but that's probably more on the basis of how far it is from the house plus we'll probably try a few other recommended places (that happen to be closer by as well) next.

I will say this - for Mr McKee in particular :-) - it was much much better than the chinese buffet it replaced :-)

Aside: you know I had to make my 3000th post in this particular thread, right? Hehe.......yeah, I started this thing, but it's a group project now - ya'all have come together and made this thread great. Thanks. And Happy New Year!
sudie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 233
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/01/07 11:26:55 (permalink)
We had a very pleasant dinner Friday night at Maribell's Tavern on Eastern Ave. (oops, Riverside Dr.) It was a pleasant and comfortable place, and the food was just what we were in the mood for that evening. I had a hamburger, perfectly cooked (medium rare) on a very nice bun. Some of their sandwiches feature Shadeau bread and I'm not sure if the HB bun came from there, but it was of that quality and a perfect complement to my burger. My husband had pot roast, a huge treat as it was prepared here. It was stacked on Yorkshire pudding and mashed potatoes and was perfectly cooked and seasoned. He also had a chocolate brownie for dessert, more like a flourless chocolate cake, very dense, chocolaty, and delicious. I'm going back with my girlfriends next week.
franklee
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 64
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/01/07 13:47:59 (permalink)
lunchbunch explored "The Family Diner" in Lynchburg last week. On Main Street. Road food reminiscent of truck stops where truckers stop because they're the only places with parking lots big enough to accommodate their rigs. Fried chicken special was better than some, but not much. Friend fish special was lightly battered but didn't have much taste. Vegetable soup looked like my grandmother's, except my grandmother would have whupped somebody who served her such bland fare. Worth the adventure - we must be closing in on 400 different restaurants in the area over the last 8 years - only because we hadn't been there before. Vote of no confidence. franklee
franklee
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/01/07 13:50:24 (permalink)
and.... they don't make their own pies and cakes... I've had worse pecan pie... so if you're in the moody to drive 56 miles for a piece of mediocre pie, The Family Diner in Lynchburg is perfect.
franklee
USALISA11
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/01/07 18:07:04 (permalink)
Any suggestions on where to eat downtown on the weekend at lunch time? I just moved to Cincinnati and couldn't find hardly anything open for lunch on the weekends. I would love to spend more time downtown if I could find some good places to eat! I did already try Shanghai Mama's and it was delicious :)
tpd
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/01/07 18:39:43 (permalink)
Anybody have suggestions for lunch near the airport? I've been to Mr. Herb's and Montoya's (and the Imbis at German Cuisine) but I'm looking to try something different. We usually have a little over an hour for lunch so I can drive a bit. Thx-

dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 247
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/01/07 20:16:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by USALISA11

Any suggestions on where to eat downtown on the weekend at lunch time? I just moved to Cincinnati and couldn't find hardly anything open for lunch on the weekends. I would love to spend more time downtown if I could find some good places to eat! I did already try Shanghai Mama's and it was delicious :)

If Dink's still has Saturday hours, they would be my first choice (but not my wife's, who is trying to eat a bit healthier). I haven't been downtown for a Saturday lunch in several months, though.
Ghaz
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 83
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/01/08 00:40:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tpd

Anybody have suggestions for lunch near the airport? I've been to Mr. Herb's and Montoya's (and the Imbis at German Cuisine) but I'm looking to try something different. We usually have a little over an hour for lunch so I can drive a bit. Thx-

There's Stone Oven Pizza, Nicky's Pizza, Fusion Martini Bar and Bistro, Top Shelf Sports Grille and Gracies Grille in Hebron just off the I-275 exit.

http://www.stoneovenpizza.net/

http://www.tryourpie.com/

http://www.fusionmartinibar.com/home_01.htm

http://topshelfky.com/

http://www.graciesgrille.com/
soozycue520
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1031
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/01/08 12:47:01 (permalink)
It just happens that Cincinnati.com had an article about Hebron's "nightlife" yesterday.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20080107/NEWS0103/801070377/

All the places mentioned serve food {and are mentioned by Ghaz}.
Ghaz
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 83
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/01/09 00:39:37 (permalink)
There's apparently another new restaurant going in Hebron in the new building between Arby's and Nicky's for those familiar with the area. The sign just went up today and reads 'Wings On Wheels'. No info on the place other than the obvious assumption that they'll deliver hot wings " />

And I forgot to mention El Mariachi Mexican Restaurant & Cantina.

http://www.elmariachigrill.com/home.html
tpd
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/01/11 00:02:12 (permalink)
Ghaz... thanks for the tips.

I went to Gracie's yesterday and had the Cuban Sandwich and Fries. Sandwich was good and the fries were great. Almost wish I had gone for the Steak Salad though. I just couldn't bring myself to drop $13 on a quick workday lunch. Got to remember if it's what you want, it's worth it. The only issue I had with Gracie's was that the service was a little slow for lunch. If I hadn't had 1:15 to get back to class it could have been a problem.

Ended up back at Montoya's today. Had a craving for fish tacos. They were fine but I really want to find a serious Baja style fish taco in Greater Cincinnati. Montoya's does them with fried tilapia on a flour tortilla with the standard lettuce and tomato and pico on the side. What I really want is grilled fish on corn tortillas with cabbage and a creamy style sauce. Anybody know where I can find this locally?

Boy, Hebron is building out like crazy. One of my friends from work has lived in a 'burb off 20 west of 237 for a few years and I remember when all you could find out there was the Marathon Convenience Store and there was NOTHING north of the interstate.

So my FAA mandated annual training is over for another year. As I said last year, you 9 to 5'ers can have your world back. I don't know how you stand the crowds and traffic. At least it was warm this year so the pain was lessened a bit. I'll happily be back to my 2P-12A Sunday - Wednesday shift next week.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/01/11 09:00:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tpdThey were fine but I really want to find a serious Baja style fish taco in Greater Cincinnati. Montoya's does them with fried tilapia on a flour tortilla with the standard lettuce and tomato and pico on the side. What I really want is grilled fish on corn tortillas with cabbage and a creamy style sauce. Anybody know where I can find this locally?

La Salsa did them this way (plus avocado slices), but I think the chain is long gone. There were three locations I knew of; the Western Hills one is now Jersey Mike's, and the Fields Ertel one is now Hi! Bombay. I have no idea about the Hyde Park location since I don't get over to that section of it much anymore.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6383
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/01/14 16:55:15 (permalink)
McFadden's on 7th street has closed

Seems this location has had problems in the past

Nick & Tonys Closed
McFaddens Closed

Hopefully the 3rd time will be the charm

Supposedly a new place will reopen in McFaddens place

soozycue520
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1031
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/01/16 14:45:25 (permalink)
Black Finn will open in the McFadden's space.

http://www.blackfinncincy.com/home.html
engel.ne
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/01/17 13:22:46 (permalink)
Any good suggestions for a drive-in style burger place? I know that these are typically summer spots but my wife and I have yet to find a good one in the Cincy area since moving here. Something like the Rootbeer Stand but with more of an emphasis on burgers and not dogs. Thanks

Nate
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 530
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/01/18 04:03:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by sudie

We had a very pleasant dinner Friday night at Maribell's Tavern on Eastern Ave. (oops, Riverside Dr.) It was a pleasant and comfortable place, and the food was just what we were in the mood for that evening. I had a hamburger, perfectly cooked (medium rare) on a very nice bun. Some of their sandwiches feature Shadeau bread and I'm not sure if the HB bun came from there, but it was of that quality and a perfect complement to my burger. My husband had pot roast, a huge treat as it was prepared here. It was stacked on Yorkshire pudding and mashed potatoes and was perfectly cooked and seasoned. He also had a chocolate brownie for dessert, more like a flourless chocolate cake, very dense, chocolaty, and delicious. I'm going back with my girlfriends next week.

My gf and I went to Maribelle's Thursday night, and it was a very good experience. We got the fried mozzarella appetizer, and it totally rocked.

Both of us got burgers -- she got the bacon cheddar one, and I got the swiss, mushroom, and onion one w/o the onions. Of course it shows up with the onions anyway, and I had to send it back.

Burger was delicious though, and was perfectly cooked (medium rare).

I got the mac and cheese as a side, and she got the roasted sweet potatoes. We tried each other's, and both were outstanding.

Other than my burger getting goofed the first time, only thing that bugs me is charging $2.50 for pop for a designated driver. Has always been a pet peave of mine. And she got a Sprite with a shot of vodka, and they charged her $5 for the vodka and $2 more for the Sprite. So we paid $9.50 for two pops and a shot.

But the food was excellent, so we'll likely return soon.
Alco251
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 74
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/01/22 00:22:28 (permalink)
I just found out to my great dismay that Cassanos Pizza in Finneytown closed last year.

I don't recall reading about here or anywhere else, and is a major bummer now that I am moving back to the valley.
johnbycz
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 26
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/01/22 12:07:38 (permalink)

This is a bit of a drive, but there's a classic drive-in in Chillicothe -- the Sumburger. Ate there on Sunday and loved it. Get the double Sumburger.

http://www.sumburger.com/
quote:
Originally posted by engel.ne

Any good suggestions for a drive-in style burger place? I know that these are typically summer spots but my wife and I have yet to find a good one in the Cincy area since moving here. Something like the Rootbeer Stand but with more of an emphasis on burgers and not dogs. Thanks

Nate
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/01/22 12:24:41 (permalink)
Welcome to Roadfood, John, from a fellow Chowhound.....
johnbycz
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 26
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/01/22 13:24:50 (permalink)

Well, TJ, Chowhound's been kinda slow lately when it comes to Cincinnati, so I went looking for a livelier discussion, and found you again. Found some good tips already.
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Welcome to Roadfood, John, from a fellow Chowhound.....
dlawson
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/01/23 09:53:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jjjrfoodie

For those that do follow along and shop the small purveyors and mom-and-pop places, I found it odd but interesting that the Don Pablos' in Tri-County has decided to shutter it's door and sell off to BW-3's due to lack of business.

In this chain heavy world where the 3 hour wait for the Cheese Factory seeoms fine, that such a big player would take such a big hit.

I find the DP food OK, but they are always more than packed, which makes me think others like it a LOT more than me.

Hmmmm.....circle of life guess.

jjjrfoodie

According to an Enquirer article, it is the Harper's Point location that was sold to bw-3. We ate at The Korea House on Saturday and noticed that it is now closed. The article said that the Springdale location was closed because it was unprofitable. The other four locations are staying open (for now).

No great loss, in my opinion. I was never a fan of their salsa.
Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/01/27 15:58:42 (permalink)
Has anyone eaten at Bouquet in Covington? My birthday is coming up and I have to choose a place for my friends and I to celebrate. Someone suggested Seny in Walnut Hills and the tapas menu looks interesting.

Anyone have experience with either place they'd like to share?

TIA.

Sandy
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/01/28 09:04:30 (permalink)
The places I hear getting consistently good reviews of late are Seny, Nada, Olives, Nectar, Slims, and Red.

The wife hates Covington for some reason, probably because our first date was at the recently defunct Coco's :-) So I don't think I'll ever get into any of the Mainstrasse spots (incl Bouquet) save for a possible lunch on my own.

(edit: added Slims to the list)
vudutu
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 23
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/01/28 09:43:53 (permalink)
Heard good things about Bouquet, the chef is from Otto's next store which is pretty good, planning on hitting it soon. Reviews on Nada have been good despite some soso reports from our admittedly tough to please friends, I would avoid it on weekends as it is packed. Nicci really liked it

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/foodie

and we are going to try on Tuesday.

Have not done Seny, Olives, and Red yet. As to Seny I have heard mixed on this one, some friend who live nearby are soso on it, I don't think our bunch is big on stackage and foam. Nectar seems awfully cold to me, she is a great cook but not much of a front of the house person.

TJ, everyone has a Coco story, for us it was our local bar and now we are homeless, the last owner was clueless and it seems the new building owner is too as despite an number of people trying to lease or buy it it still is closed.

We are blessed with a number of good places and currently are residing at Chalk where we are working our way through the menu.

As to places for bday groups, tough call, I think it depends on your group tastes and budget, I would sample anyplace new you are considering. I would do also do some serious googling.

Love to hear a report after you go.
Robin Hood
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 101
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/01/28 10:31:34 (permalink)
I went to Bouquet about a month ago. Good, but not great. Still working the kinks out, A very small menu and winelist. Not cheap by any means. At the price point I left a little disappointed. not in a hurry to get back, but I will give them another try.

Nada is a zoo. Very much a see and be seen place. Huge wait for a table. Menu is kind of limited. Don't go expecting Frontera Grill, but definitely something new and different for Cincinnati.
Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/01/28 19:07:46 (permalink)
Thank you all for your responses. I'm leaning toward Seny based on the menu and some comments from co-workers. I'll probably try Bouquet when they've been open longer.

Sandy
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/01/29 12:36:16 (permalink)
Jordan Valley got a mention in theCincinnati Enquirer Foodie Blog today....Polly likes it :-)

Here's what Polly had to say (from: http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/foodie/2008/01/lunch.asp)

I've been trying to bring my lunch to work more often: it fits in with various resolutions my husband and I have made: saving money, being healthy, working hard. . . . My husband is extremely good at it--he can make a lunch out of the merest scraps. I backslide a lot more, and it was immediately obvious to him yesterday that I had as soon as I kissed him hello. It's the combination plate at Jordan Valley, just around the corner from The Enquirer building. I'm not sure what the garlic's in, but it announces itself long after. This plate is really too much to eat, but I always manage to: it's four perfect felafel nuggets, two mounds of smooth baba ghanoush and hummus, and a really good tabouli: mostly parsley, tiny diced tomatoes, very lemony. All good by themselves or in little combination bites. 211 W. Fourth Street ( you may have to dodge some Scientologists)
Oh, and I just realized it's all vegetarian. Their chicken shawarma's good, too! and once they were out of beef for their kebabs and I had a wonderful lamb skewer for lunch.
franklee
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/01/29 12:58:18 (permalink)
Lunchbunch went to Nicky's World Famous Pizzeria in Hebron couple weeks ago. Bob, the New York City translant who claims to have perfect pitch in pizza taste, says the thin crust cheese pizza is as good as Deweys which was/is the best in CIndinnati. I thought my hot pepper and green olive half pizza was very good. Best were the dessert pastries.. can't think of their names and apparenly you must order a minimum of 6 or 7 at a time (one order) but they're exquisite if you eat them while they're hot.. no so good next day... Bob like it enough to go back.. which is saying something for him... Me? I like continuing to explore... at last county the Lunchbunch as grazed at more than 300 different eating spots in the cincinnati/dayton area.
Page: << < ..3637383940.. > >> Showing page 38 of 110
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1