AnsweredHot!WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Page: << < ..3637383940.. > >> Showing page 39 of 111
Author
dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 250
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/01/29 21:43:16 (permalink)
Wife and I went to Spicy Pickle in Clifton for dinner tonight. It's the first Ohio location for the Denver-based chain. We were the only dine-in patrons, although we did arrive 30 minutes before closing. The menu is in the vein of Panera's lunch menu, with hot and cold sandwiches, soups, and salads. Like Panera, they also offer "pick two" combos and catering. Pizzas are also on the menu, with 11" pies fetching around $7.

I was pleased with my meal, a soup and sandwich combo with a side of chips (Lay's regular are the only kind they offer) and the "almost world famous" spicy pickle, a slice of dill pickle that apparently marinates in a spicy juice with red pepper flakes. It's a nice addition. The corn and green chili bisque is very good, and is available in a bread bowl for an additional charge. My half sandwich was on the smaller side, but had a good amount of stuff piled on it: two kinds of Italian ham, salami, cheese, onions, lettuce, chopped red peppers and pepperoncini, and a mayonnaise of some sort. I will opt to build my own sandwich next time, as you get to add unlimited vegetables and spreads at no additional cost. My wife also got the bisque, as well as a spinach salad with mushrooms, onions, sun-dried tomatoes, and roasted hazelnuts. I am happy to report that none of their salads are iceberg-based.

The place is nothing groundbreaking by any stretch, but it was quite enjoyable.
Alco251
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 74
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/01/30 23:45:34 (permalink)
The Iron Horse Inn in Glendale has closed down for regular dining hours in January and February, but according to their phone message, is still available for events,.

The Glendale Pub next door seems to be toughing it out this winter as well, with sparse crowds the two evenings I've stopped in this month.

With the nearby Don Pablos closing, I wonder if Springdale/Glendale/Tri-County can support anything but lunch business with the union Center juggernaut just to the north.
SteveB
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/01/31 08:30:27 (permalink)
Wife's b-day this weekend and having hard time deciding where to go. The only preference she is expressing is that she wants a nice piece of chocolate cake for dessert. (I like Pam Sturkey's desserts, but don't like atmosphere of the new place.) Any reco's for some really good chocolate cake - not BonBonnerie cake, but made in-house. Not Frisch's hot fudge Cake either, though that is a great drive-through chocolate fix.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18859
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/01/31 10:59:04 (permalink)
Damn, TJ, 44 pages on eating around Cincinnati? Who would ever have thought there'd be that much hunger where pigs fly?
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4609
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/01/31 11:23:11 (permalink)
SteveB: I'm not big on desserts, but most especially not on cakes, so I rarely take note of any such offerings in any restaurant. Maybe one of the other readers can help. That said, I've always heard the desserts are very good at Grand Finale, tho I cannot speak from personal experience. It's certainly a special occasion kinda place

MH: Since the local pigs fly, they are very hard to catch, taking a lot of work to do so....and hard work increases one's appetite. The big minus of course....well......you know how you sometimes have to deal with bird droppings on your car? Pigs are bigger than birds. TONS of window washer fluid is sold in this town. Anyway.....with 30 pages about tenderloin sandwiches and 40 more about jersey hot dogs, I think all of Cincinnati can stand 44 pages or more :-) Now let's get that Gahanna thread started....
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18859
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/01/31 11:26:34 (permalink)
soozycue520
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1032
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/01/31 13:51:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by SteveB

Wife's b-day this weekend and having hard time deciding where to go. The only preference she is expressing is that she wants a nice piece of chocolate cake for dessert. (I like Pam Sturkey's desserts, but don't like atmosphere of the new place.) Any reco's for some really good chocolate cake - not BonBonnerie cake, but made in-house. Not Frisch's hot fudge Cake either, though that is a great drive-through chocolate fix.

I don't know if this will do for a special occasion, but Pompilio's has a Chocolate Suicide Cake. I haven't had it {I'm not a chocolate cake person}, but they make their cannolis and tiramisu, and they are GREAT!!
sudie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 236
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/01/31 14:03:00 (permalink)
Grand Finale's website lists a flourless chocolate cake. I've never had it, but their other desserts are wonderful. My husband had a great chocolate brownie (big enough to be a piece of cake), nearly like a flourless chocolate cake at Maribelle's Tavern, but I don't know if this is a constant on their menu.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/02/03 15:54:52 (permalink)
Janet and I worked out a babysitter last night and (entertainment coupon book in hand) decided to check out the Forum Grille at the Vernon Manor

Food was pretty good - steak with wine reduction sauce, asparagus, and very good scalloped potatoes for me, pork chops with andouille breading and mashed taters for the wife. Seemed odd that in our mid-forties, we were the youngest folks there. Usually, when I see a dining room where the majority of the diners are venerable, the food is rather bland but not so in this case.

Desserts could be improved immensely - when I saw the dessert menu was 90% after dinner drinks and a small section with 2-3 dessert descriptions, I expected mediocrity and this time was right.

So if you head there for dinner, just skip the desserts, and you'll enjoy it.

SteveB
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/02/04 09:49:03 (permalink)
We ended up going to Ferrari's in Madeira on Saturday night. Had a very nice italian meal. This is a great alternative to chain-Italian. It is a lttle more formal and expensive than typical neighborhood pasta joints but not as formal or expensive as Germano's/Baressi's/Prima Vista. Food is quite good. Lots of traditional pasta dishes, chicken and veal dishes and some fancy pizzas. Also, some more sophisticated seafood and other entrees are featured. All the dishes were very good and the marinari sauce is outstanding. the calamari appetizer was especialy good - tender and lightly fried (as opposed to the chewy frozen calamari in most restaraunts. Bread is made in-house. The chocolate cake dessert was rich but not outstanding. The Tiramasu was some of the best I havw had in Cincinnati and the Spamoni was outstanding - and so large that my daughter ended up taking almost a pint home in a container.
Ghaz
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 83
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/02/06 00:12:01 (permalink)
A belated note on a closing. It looks like Fusion Martini Bar and Bistro in Hebron, KY closed approximately three or four weeks ago and just this past Monday a banner announcing the auction of their restaurant equipment has appeared on the outside of the building.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 538
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/02/08 10:24:39 (permalink)
Anyone tried Pit To Plate BBQ? There's one in Ross we're going to check out tonight on our way to Oxford. I was wondering what to expect.

Pretty much all BBQ is good, so I'm sure I'll like it.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/02/08 10:42:02 (permalink)
The Pit to Plate in Mt Healthy is outstanding.

http://www.cincinnati.com/freetime/dining/reviews/031904_pittoplate_yum.html

I did not know they had opened a second location
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/02/08 14:22:33 (permalink)
Couple of items

First, the Rise and Shine Cafe on 6th is closed once again, with a sign in the window indicating there is a water main break (again, same as last time). There are no signs of anyone working on any plumbing inside, so once again this looks like a "we're closed indefinitely" notice.

Second, I have now visited the All Rise Cafe (no relation between the two) on the corner of Court and Sycamore over a dozen times now, and I always get the same thing because it is very good, a great value, and of consistent quality. I speak of the simple quarter pound cheeseburger and fries for 3.75 (3.25 w/o cheese) Doesn't sound like a big deal, right? Think again! The cheeseburger doesn't hit the grill til you place your order, and it rests on a better-than-average quality bun which has been buttered and toasted. The toppings (including real leaf lettuce) has always been top notch and crispy fresh. Grilled onions are available on request - AT NO CHARGE. Add 50 cents for cheese. This isn't the biggest burger, but it is one of the best you can get locally of the "small burger" variety. The fries are even better, skin-on fresh-cut beauties, just outstanding. I find they are best when ordered well done. I will argue here and now that they are the very best in Greater Cincinnati, I kid you not. They have a half pound burger as well, and it's a great value at 5 bucks with two sides on Wednesday, but it's not nearly as good.
franklee
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 64
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/02/08 14:23:09 (permalink)
first time we went to pit to plate.. we thought it was among the best... 2nd time was like it was a totally different place.. the meat was tasteless... brisket and bbq... our thought was the steam tables they used (the 2nd time the meat had not been cooked that day... couldn't smell the "cookin" when wepulled up) somehow stole the flavor... so.. we dn't go there anymore...
the bbq place in Ross was pretty good.. although I don't remember it's being called pit to plate... what i remember mostly was the waitress was excited about going to Texas to find her fortune.. make her fortune... hope she foiund/made it

franklee
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/02/08 14:29:51 (permalink)
lunchbunch to Roc-a-fella's in Centerville yesterday.. two of us liked it okay... the loaded fries were tastey... New York Salad was fresh... the italian cream cake was dreamy... and the pizza was okay... EXCEPT in the view of our resident expert.. NY transplate Bob who wrote the whole thing off with a sickening grimace at the first bite of his cheese pizza... crust was awful he said... crust was awful and Bob says.. as do more than one New Yorker I've run across.. the worth of a pizza lies in its crust... failing marks from bob... of course.. i ate my ffirst pizza in a pizza / barbership combo in Paris tn way back when and the other member of our group also doesn't order plain cheese pizza... the centerville roco=a-fellas is in a new location on Main street... they have two or three other locations.. one in sharonville, i believe.. would be interested in hearing other judgements...
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 538
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/02/08 15:46:20 (permalink)
Thanks guys.

Yeah, we saw Pit to Plate on one of the blue road signs for the Ross exit off U.S. 27. I'll let you know how it was.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/02/08 16:01:44 (permalink)
I'll bet they took over for Boston Butz
Ghaz
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 83
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/02/09 01:55:04 (permalink)
There's an old fast food restaurant on Hamilton Avenue a few miles north of the Cross County Highway with a Pit To Plate sign that said it was opening in mid-January.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/02/09 15:44:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ghaz

an old fast food restaurant on Hamilton Avenue a few miles north of the Cross County Highway

I have to wonder if this merely means they are changing locations to one more visible than their original location on Compton just off Hamilton Ave. The location you describe is maybe 2-3 miles from where they are now.
soozycue520
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1032
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/02/10 20:11:55 (permalink)
TJ

I just read in the Living Out Loud blog {City Beat http://blogs.citybeat.com/livingoutloud/ } that Dink's closed on Feb. 8th. I ate there a couple of times, and really enjoyed it.

This is what Larry Gross reported:
"My sources tell me that Dink’s business was doing “all right,” but apparently a fast-food chain — a bit higher scale — wants the spot and is willing to pay higher rent there to obtain it."

A "higher scale fast food chain" ?

dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 250
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/02/10 21:55:55 (permalink)
Sad news about Dink's. I wonder if Chipotle qualifies as a "higher scale" fast food chain? It baffles me that they have no downtown presence, considering how well they do at lunch hour everywhere else. Then again, if there were rumors of Chipotle coming downtown, I doubt Burrito Joe's would be opening a second location.
baughman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 116
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/02/11 12:21:30 (permalink)
If you ever out near Milford. Go to DeMeos on main street.

Some of the tastest food I have had in a long time. Kind of an italian grill type place. The portions are massive. Once you see the chef you know why.

When I went several months ago. He came out and talked along with his wife. His passion is cooking and you taste it in each bite. I wouldnt go if you're on a diet tho.

prices are great for the portions you get.

a review of the place

http://www.eastsidevibe.com/DeMeosPastaAndGrill.html
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/02/11 13:11:24 (permalink)
Without intending to offend, does the eastsidevibes guy have anything bad to say about any of the places he reviews?
baughman
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/02/11 13:37:21 (permalink)
LOL I was thinking the samething after I started reading about other places. I was trying to find a review done by the city beat, but that review kept poping up. So I linked it.

The food is great tho.

The Cinci Burger guys say the burgers are pretty good also. Even those are huge 1/2 pnders. If I remember there review right.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/02/11 13:52:17 (permalink)
I check it out on your say-so....I'll take your opinion over the other two any day. :-)

(The CVG Burger guys don't rate a burger highly unless it has tons of salt and pepper on it.....I think this is a travesty but hey, it ain't MY blog.)

-------------------------------------------
FAIR WARNING: Please don't read beyond here while eating
-------------------------------------------

Also - as mentioned in the CVG Burger guys blog, the owner originally opened a place in a strip mall on the other side of I-275 near Perkins, called "The Lighthouse". This was 5 or more years ago, by my reckoning. Anyway, the wife and I ate there, and there were two very serious problems. First, a long black hair in my wife's pasta. Second, when the owner (who was clearly also the chief cook) came over to apologize, he smelled like he hadn't showered in days. Awful. The whole experience was almost like something out of a bad sitcom, with how comically bad it was. That said, my lunch was very good up to the point when the hair was discovered - no hair in mine. And I've heard nothing but good things since then from others, so it may be time to give it a second chance, if I can talk the wife into it.
vudutu
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 23
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/02/11 16:55:24 (permalink)
(The CVG Burger guys don't rate a burger highly unless it has tons of salt and pepper on it.....I think this is a travesty but hey, it ain't MY blog.

I don't think the CVG Burger guys are alive, one toooo many burgers perhaps? They haven't posted since late last summer, still have not made it to Terry Turf, heck it will be gone before they get there.

Also anyone been to Pit to Plate recently, franklee said it had gone downhill, or was that just a bump.
baughman
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/02/12 13:27:20 (permalink)
I had heard that he owned the lighthouse.

Well he is a rather huge man. So being in a kitchen all day. I could understand prob not smelling to good.

franklee
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/02/15 19:12:24 (permalink)
A much-depleted lunchbunch yesterday explored "Scott's Homestyle Cooking and Barbecue" at 637a Northland Blvd down the road from Lulu's Noodles & New Orleans to Go. Friendly service. I later learned our waitperson was the owner's wife. The best peach cobbler I've had in a long time, better even than Aunt Flora's and that's saying a lot. Catfish is excellent for pond-raised... still had some catfish flavor.. light and crispy crust which, when covered with their decent coleslaw was as good as I've ever had in the north (anyplace north of kentucky)... greens were as good as Aunt Flora's and very similar... potato salad... too much mustard.. too tart for my taste... and their cornbread muffins are sweet, a fact Bob likes and I loathe. Rib tips were okay. About like Mr Pig's were when Bob and I first tried them out 7 or 8 years ago. Needed more salt, pepper and garlic rubbed in... Still they were good... a good time was had by all... and they sell a big pan of peach cobbler for $40.. 1/2 for $25... an excellentway to impress picnickers... or reunion attendees... a good fine
franklee
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/02/15 19:14:56 (permalink)
has anyone tried the Indonesian restaurant .. can't remember what street it's on.. in cincinnati?
Page: << < ..3637383940.. > >> Showing page 39 of 111
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1