AnsweredHot!WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Page: << < ..4142434445.. > >> Showing page 42 of 110
Author
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/05 22:27:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Wallyum! Good to see you back!

I had to save my pennies so I could afford to eat somewhere worth mentioning. The new house is a vampire.
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/05 22:33:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bonk

I didn't like that Uno's before. They had an extensive beer list, but it was maddening because I went in with a couple of friends and they were out of every beer we asked for, it seemed.

I first started eating there in the mid-80's. Back then they kept the beer stock up pretty well, but I noticed that as time went on, they had less and less of what they advertised. That was also when the quality started to slip.

quote:

If I need a deep dish that badly I'll go back to the Bourbon House in Burlington.

Never heard of this one. Sounds interesting. Where at in Burlington?
Ghaz
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 83
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/06 01:24:29 (permalink)
Here's Bourbon House's website:

http://www.bourbonandpizza.com/
westsider12
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 131
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/06 09:31:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by dlawson

quote:
Originally posted by Wallyum

Sad to report that the previous weekend we went to the new Uno's in Beechmont for an early dinner and found it nothing like the Uno's of old. No Sea Delico on the menu anymore, so I went with my standby Chicago Classic. (Sausage, cheese and tomato.) Mine was pretty decent, but the crust had a pre-made taste. My wife had a Spinocoli and said that it tasted like frozen veggies on a pre-made crust. Both kids had pepperoni, one a deep dish and the other thin crust. Both were almost tasteless. Based on the marginal food, the high price, and the fact that the place now resembles a TGI Fridays, I don't see us returning.

From what I have read, it was a corporate decision to go with the "neighborhood grill" theme and menu, and it's an embarrassment. The drastic departure from what made them famous in the first place just baffles me.

The new BJ's (mentioned above) does a good Chicago-style pizza. This is likely a problem with the lunch "mini" size, but I found the cheese to be a bit sparse. They pile on the toppings, however, and the "stewed tomato" sauce (very similar to Uno's) is quite good. I was not able to sample the beer or root beer, but their fresh-squeezed lemonade is very thin and leaves a lot to be desired. (As a reference, Penn Station's is infinitely better.) It's a very nice atmosphere in the place, and the overall experience is very reminiscent of Rock Bottom. I am looking forward to trying/sharing one of the larger pizza sizes.

I've heard anecdotally that BJ's is pretty good for a chain. I'll have to check it out the next time we're at Tri-C.
franklee
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 64
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/07 03:41:13 (permalink)
Beavercreek note... Troni's Pizza & Rest, 1314 E Dorothy Lane... Lunchbunch yest... Bob, an avowed pizza nazi from Yonkers, says it's the best pizza he's had outside of New York City... we all agreed it was excellent... pizza is made by Albanians who own the restaurant. rolls are excellent... and soups.. i was not impressed, however, by lasagna and eggplant parmigian... about an hour from my home in western hills...
arianej
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 205
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/08 02:21:27 (permalink)
I haven't been to the Indonesian place (GajaWong) but am curious. The only other Indonesian food I've tried in Ohio is Taste of Bali in Columbus, which was pretty good. GajaWong looks like a rather different place, atmosphere-wise.

Unfortunately, the menu prices mean we won't be dining there anytime soon. Almost $20 for beef rendang? Ouch... :(

P.S. Also checking in as another person who bounces between Dayton and Cincinnati regularly. :)
Mr.Br0wn
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/08 08:24:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jmckee

quote:
Originally posted by dlawson

franklee, would you rate Grand India Buffet above Hi Bombay! and everything in Clifton? I work near the buffet and have passed it several times, but I haven't been inside because, well, it looks like a buffet, if you catch my drift. I believe their sign mentions southern Indian cuisine as well. Do they do dosas?

My problem has been that the Asian buffet that was there before was so lousy......

I have to agree with you there jmckee. I work on Crescentville Rd and I get a rumble in my stomach whenever I look over at that corner after a couple of stops over the years that have ended up as a gastronomical nightmares over the years
luebster
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/08 08:54:25 (permalink)
Ate at Balboa's (the cheesesteak/pizza place in the former Dink's) Thursday. I've not eaten a "true" Philly cheesesteak before, so I can't tell you how it compares, but I can tell you that what Balboa's serves is very good.

I had a half Philly Cheesesteak and fries. If I had to compare the fries to a fast-food joint, I'd say they are closest to McDonald's. Very good. Too bad they seem to use generic ketchup and not standards like Heinz or Hunts.

The Amaroso(?) roll was very soft, fresh, and delicious. The steak was very tender and seasoned appropriately with hints of salt and pepper. I added onions, mushrooms and provolone (I know...shoulda got it "with whiz") from the extensive list of ingredients you can add.

My meal was great and I'll definitely be back for more.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3146
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/08 12:16:38 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by franklee

Beavercreek note... Troni's Pizza & Rest, 1314 E Dorothy Lane... Lunchbunch yest... Bob, an avowed pizza nazi from Yonkers, says it's the best pizza he's had outside of New York City... we all agreed it was excellent... pizza is made by Albanians who own the restaurant. rolls are excellent... and soups.. i was not impressed, however, by lasagna and eggplant parmigian... about an hour from my home in western hills...
Hello Cinci food nuts! I am one-third of the Lunchbunch and just registered at franklee's suggestion. I made my first post on the new pizze thread and this is my second one. Being from Yonkers NY I have a great many differences of opinion with franklee, who is from Tennessee. We have both lived in many different parts of the USA so we both have many idea on food and what is good and bad and what we like and what we don't - I am sure that our differences in food taste have a lot to do with what we were used to eating growing up - I was raised on Italian food and Polish food - my dad was Italian and my mom was Polish.

I have always favored Italian food but also love Polish dishes.

I thought the pizza at Troni's (they are in Kettering) was excellent but not the best I have had outside of NYC/Yonkers. There have been pizzerias in Cinci that have come and gone over the years - that had as good a pizza as any to be found in NYC/Yonkers. The one remaining that has a great pizza is Trattoria Roma in downtown Cinci. Unfortunately the original owner passed away a few years back and his relatives and wife who run the place have gone upscale and deemphasize pizza and try to attract the hoity-toity crowd from the Aranoff Center shows etc - actually the original owner did the remodel for the upscale crowd but his relatives/wife have carried on the tradition - when I worked in Cinci and when Roma was called Roma Pizzeria and it was a hole in the wall joint it had the best pizza outside of NYC/Yonkers - I would go there every chance I got for two slices and a soda for lunch - since it went upscale you cannot pizza by the slice. And their pizza has deteriorated - I have not been there in a long while now (3 years or so) - has anyone been there recently?

When I lived in Cinci I was on the westside - near franklee - at the time Trottas Pizza was also great but the owned died and his sons have not done much for pizza since that time from what I have experienced over the years.

I used to live on the eastside in Mt Washington and at the time we had a Mios Pizzeria there that made a great NY type pizza - I am not sure when they changed their style of pizza making but for a long time now they make terrrible designer pizzas that taste awful. I do not know why they changed their recipe - anyone know what happened?

Back to Troni's - I thought their eggplant and lasagna where OK - but not great - they reheated the lasagna and burned the edges of the noodles and the eggplant did not really do much for me and their spaghetti side with sauce was not much in the way of a taste experience unfortunately - I ordered the lunch special - two slices of pizza with one topping - and a salad - I asked the waitress/daughter of owner if the pizza would be fresh out of the oven and she assured me it would be so - but when we got our food the pizza had been reheated with the toppings added and the crust was overdone - but I could still tell the pizza ingredients that count were first rate - the dough, tomato sauce and cheese were very good - I got a large take home cheese pizza that heated up well at 500 degrees for four minutes - my wife - who is from Long Island/Brooklyn/Queens area of the country - said Troni's pizza is as good as Dewey's Pizza - I though Troni's is a tad better than Dewey's.

The warm garlic rolls Troni's makes and gives you with your salads/antipastos are some of the best I have ever tasted - they are small and have cheese and parsely and olive oil drizzled over them - they are made from their pizza dough - that is why they are so exceptionally tasty.

They offer an "Old Fashion Pizza" which come with 3 cheeses (provolone, romano and mozzarella) & old fashion chunky tomato sauce - which I will try on my next visit - they also offer Deep Dish and and Sicilian Pizza ( i do not know the difference between them as where I came from they were one and the same pizzas - I will be trying them also on my next visit or two.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4596
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/08 12:41:04 (permalink)
Welcome NYPizzaNut :-)

I don't know much about the history of Roma's downtown, but I agree that they have gone upscale since the arrival of the Aronoff center. I can't say I blame them - it was a good opportunity financially, and they took advantage. They've also expanded their dining area by taking over the former Bagel place next door. Further - they opened a slice joint around the corner on 7th called Gondola Pizzeria. Based on your story, I think you might want to check that place out, albeit I havent been wowed by the slices there.

I have lived in Mt Washington for about 10 years, and before that, infrequent reader JMcKee (hopefully he'll chime in on this) lived here as well. I confess I like the pizza (both the thin and the stuffed) at Mio's very much as it now is. I have seen no change in the pizza in my ten years here, but maybe Jack reembers something more.

I really, really like Trotta's, but being it is carryout only and on the other side of town, the opportunity for me to eat their pizza is pretty limited

Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2257
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/08 13:28:19 (permalink)
Thanks NYPIzzaNut good reviews I will try Tronis for pizza in Kettering. I will order a full pie so as not to get the reheated one...Russ
Is Kettering above the line of demarcation?
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/08 13:38:33 (permalink)
*chuckle*

the line of demarcation is in your imagination :-)

do as you will :-)
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/08 16:01:09 (permalink)
I drove 95 miles to get to Troni's from Brown County. It is a nice ride with good music cranking if you don't hit construction as happened on I-75 N just past I-275 this past Thursday.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/08 16:48:50 (permalink)
Ah, you live out near my folks - they're at Lake Lorelei
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/08 17:15:10 (permalink)
During our day at Troni's we finished it off with picking some Vietnamese takeout up at Little Saigon in Dayton at 1718 Woodman Dr. (tel 937 258 8010)

I love their food as much as the Song Long Restaurant in Roselawn in Cincinnati.

I am really partial to their Vietnamese soups (at both restaurants) but all of their food is great.

Here are some comments on Little Saigon:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/little-saigon-dayton#hrid:PgWA-Mt66d77lmzzOMzaSA
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/08 17:16:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Ah, you live out near my folks - they're at Lake Lorelei
We are on Lake Waynoka.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 535
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/09 13:15:33 (permalink)
Since you're on Dayton topics:

I thought I had mentioned this place on here, but I didn't see it on a search, so old age must be setting in.

There's an Italian place just outside of Dayton that my gf and I've eaten at a few times called Giovanni's. Some of the best Italian I've ever eaten, and I grew up in Chicago. Every aspect of the experience was top notch. Atmosphere, prices, portions, service, and of course food quality.

We got garlic bread, I had veal saltimbocca, my girlfriend had beef tips marsala, and we split an order of three-cheese polenta, and she had two drinks, and the bill came to $48. I tipped $12 because the service was so exceptional. And our meals both came with a soup or salad. I had the Italian wedding soup, and it was more meatball than soup -- which was a good thing.

I kid you not: I had half of my veal left over, which I devoured later that night, and since she only ate about 1/3 of her marsala and we only got through about 1/4 of the polenta, we still had enough left over for both of us to eat an entire meal of those items the next night.

Here's the site if any of you are ever on the east side of Dayton: http://www.villadigiovanni.com/Villa/villa-home.htm
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/09 13:39:55 (permalink)
quote:

Since you're on Dayton topics:

I thought I had mentioned this place on here, but I didn't see it on a search, so old age must be setting in.

There's an Italian place just outside of Dayton that my gf and I've eaten at a few times called Giovanni's. Some of the best Italian I've ever eaten, and I grew up in Chicago. Every aspect of the experience was top notch. Atmosphere, prices, portions, service, and of course food quality.

We got garlic bread, I had veal saltimbocca, my girlfriend had beef tips marsala, and we split an order of three-cheese polenta, and she had two drinks, and the bill came to $48. I tipped $12 because the service was so exceptional. And our meals both came with a soup or salad. I had the Italian wedding soup, and it was more meatball than soup -- which was a good thing.

I kid you not: I had half of my veal left over, which I devoured later that night, and since she only ate about 1/3 of her marsala and we only got through about 1/4 of the polenta, we still had enough left over for both of us to eat an entire meal of those items the next night.

Here's the site if any of you are ever on the east side of Dayton: http://www.villadigiovanni.com/Villa/villa-home.htm

http://www.topix.com/city/patterson-oh/2007/11/villa-di-giovannis-in-fairborn-closes

Villa di Giovanni's in Fairborn closes
Posted by roboblogger Nov 13, 2007
Villa di Giovanni's at the intersection of Interstate 675 and Dayton-Yellow Springs Road closed Tuesday.
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 335
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/10 02:45:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by NYPIzzaNut
http://www.topix.com/city/patterson-oh/2007/11/villa-di-giovannis-in-fairborn-closes

Villa di Giovanni's in Fairborn closes
Posted by roboblogger Nov 13, 2007
Villa di Giovanni's at the intersection of Interstate 675 and Dayton-Yellow Springs Road closed Tuesday.

So that's why I got a Domain Expired message when I tried to log onto that site!
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 335
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/10 02:48:18 (permalink)
quote:

Beavercreek note... Troni's Pizza & Rest, 1314 E Dorothy Lane...

I live not far from there (in Beavercreek, actually, "Zone 40" specifically) and drove past this place. Trouble was, it was closed at the time (a Sunday?). I'll have to give it a try!

Oh, and I'm all for opening a new Dayton thread apart from the Cincinnati one!
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 535
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/10 08:49:32 (permalink)
Wow, we were just there in late October. That's really depressing. They were always crowded -- wonder what the issue was.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/10 19:09:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by 45013

quote:

Beavercreek note... Troni's Pizza & Rest, 1314 E Dorothy Lane...

I live not far from there (in Beavercreek, actually, "Zone 40" specifically) and drove past this place. Trouble was, it was closed at the time (a Sunday?). I'll have to give it a try!

Oh, and I'm all for opening a new Dayton thread apart from the Cincinnati one!
They are in Kettering but some sites list them as Beavercreek - they are closed Sundays; they are open Monday - Thursday 11 am - 10 pm and Saturday hours are 11am - 11 pm.
Slogun
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/11 21:10:30 (permalink)
I am a reader of the forum but up until now I have been a leech, so here goes.

First of all I just moved to Cinci Area in June. I am originally from the Metro Detroit area. There always seems to be one topic that comes up when I meet people and they find out I am from out of town, so I will get that out of the way. Yes I like the chili. No it is not as good as Lafayette coney in Detroit.

I have eaten at tons of restaurants over the last 6 months. I will be posting more reviews in the next couple of days. I only have a little time so here goes!

First off I went to New Orleans to go yesterday only to find out they are closed Monday and Tuesday. I have been there once before and it was great. Anyway I was starved so I went next door to Lu Lu's noodles. It was quite frankly awful. I ordered the Lard Nar (Beef Broccoli and carrot with rice noodle and light brown sauce) It was slimy and tasteless. The other things that I saw ordered looked pretty good, but I definitely wont be back.

On the good side of thing I have to give mention to my favorite restaurant in the area. Kyoto Japanese at fields ertel and Montgomery road. I live 3 minutes away(yes you should feel sorry for the new guy to cinci who managed to land in the worst traffic in the city.) It is one of the Best Sushi places I have been (second Only to Noble Fish in Clawson, MI). The prices are great and the food is fresh and well prepared. Jason the owner is friendly and his signature roll(the Jason Roll) is outstanding(at 19.99 its only for special occasions) I am a huge sushi eater and have tried other places in the area and none of them compare. The one that I haven't tried that comes recommended is Beluga.

Well I hope I was helpful and I will give more reviews later. I live in the Mason area so if anyone has any questions just holler!
Suburban Dad
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/11 22:53:05 (permalink)
Slogun...since you are up that way, have you tried the sushi at Bistro Ginza on Mason Montgomery? I have heard good things, but haven't tried it myself. Kyoto is very good and is very reasonable especially during there happy hour deals. Have you tried Hot Doggin It next door or Cheezburger Cafe across the lot?
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/11 23:10:15 (permalink)
Welcome to the forums...and to Cincinnati, Slogun!
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/12 05:46:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Slogun

Anyway I was starved so I went next door to Lu Lu's noodles. It was quite frankly awful. I ordered the Lard Nar (Beef Broccoli and carrot with rice noodle and light brown sauce) It was slimy and tasteless. The other things that I saw ordered looked pretty good, but I definitely wont be back.

The noodle places seem to be hit and miss. We ate ate Nothing But Noodles in Crestview before it tanked. My Dad and I were both impressed with our order, but my wife and kids threatened civil action if I brought up eating there again. Strange. It doesn't seem like it would be that difficult. (Geez, you're starting with noodles, not liver.)
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/12 09:27:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Suburban Dad

Bistro Ginza...Kyoto....Hot Doggin It....Cheezburger Cafe

The Italian joint right there, Bravo's, is exceptionally good for a chain
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/12 09:53:09 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Wallyum

quote:
Originally posted by Slogun

Anyway I was starved so I went next door to Lu Lu's noodles. It was quite frankly awful. I ordered the Lard Nar (Beef Broccoli and carrot with rice noodle and light brown sauce) It was slimy and tasteless. The other things that I saw ordered looked pretty good, but I definitely wont be back.

The noodle places seem to be hit and miss. We ate ate Nothing But Noodles in Crestview before it tanked. My Dad and I were both impressed with our order, but my wife and kids threatened civil action if I brought up eating there again. Strange. It doesn't seem like it would be that difficult. (Geez, you're starting with noodles, not liver.)

LuLu's
Our lunchbunch group has been there twice - with mixed results - I loved the Singapore Mai Fun House Special the last time we were there.

Nothing But Noodles
Been there once and would not return - plain awful
dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 249
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/12 10:16:14 (permalink)
I enjoy Kyoto as well, although it has been packed every time we have gone, and there isn't much of a waiting area. Unlike Beluga (where the sushi isn't as good), it's nowhere near an upscale atmosphere, but the crew keeps things entertaining by chatting up customers and snapping Polaroids to hang on the wall. We've never had a bad experience there, but it is definitely not the place to go for a relaxing meal.

I am also not a fan of LuLu's, and could not stand Nothing But Noodles. For my money, Shanghai Mama's downtown is the best noodle place in the city, in every respect.

Hotdoggin It is also very good, and gets a big thumbs up from a former co-worker of mine who is from Chicago. They will be getting all of my hot dog business now that Dink's is gone.
Slogun
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/12 16:40:21 (permalink)
quote:
Slogun...since you are up that way, have you tried the sushi at Bistro Ginza on Mason Montgomery? I have heard good things, but haven't tried it myself. Kyoto is very good and is very reasonable especially during there happy hour deals. Have you tried Hot Doggin It next door or Cheezburger Cafe across the lot?

I have not been to Bistro Ginza. Is that the place next to the burrito place?

Hot Doggin It gets my business whenever I want a Hot Dog. My sister lives in chicago and I visit 2-3 times a year and they are very authentic dogs.

I have not been to the Cheezburger Cafe. I went to the Bagel shop next door on my first weekend morning in Cinci. They appear to be owned by the same people. The Bagel wasn't very good and I got my coffee out of a vending machine so I haven't gone back. I have read good things about it and will have to give them a chance.
Page: << < ..4142434445.. > >> Showing page 42 of 110
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1