AnsweredHot!WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Page: << < ..4142434445.. > >> Showing page 43 of 109
Author
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3140
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/12 16:51:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Slogun

quote:
Slogun...since you are up that way, have you tried the sushi at Bistro Ginza on Mason Montgomery? I have heard good things, but haven't tried it myself. Kyoto is very good and is very reasonable especially during there happy hour deals. Have you tried Hot Doggin It next door or Cheezburger Cafe across the lot?

I have not been to Bistro Ginza. Is that the place next to the burrito place?

Hot Doggin It gets my business whenever I want a Hot Dog. My sister lives in chicago and I visit 2-3 times a year and they are very authentic dogs.

I have not been to the Cheezburger Cafe. I went to the Bagel shop next door on my first weekend morning in Cinci. They appear to be owned by the same people. The Bagel wasn't very good and I got my coffee out of a vending machine so I haven't gone back. I have read good things about it and will have to give them a chance.

If you want a really great bagel or bialy there is really only one place in greater Cincinnati to get them at:

Marx Hot Bagels
http://www.cincinnati.com/dining/marx/
Cuisine:
Deli/Sandwiches

Price:
Under $10

Attire:
Casual

Eat in or carry out at Marx's, either way is quick, tasty, healthful and efficient. Tuna, egg, and fish salads, and hummus and tabouli are available in bulk for take home too.

Cincinnati's first bagel company makes over 40 varieties fresh daily. Have your bagel as a sandwich with a boogling variety of choices - pb&j, tuna Reuben, lox and cream cheese, pizza bagel, four cheese melt - or have a sandwich made on an equally mind-blowing choice of breads. Tuna, chicken, egg, and baked salmon salad, hummus and tabouli or veggie burgers are just a few of the items. Kids will enjoy meatless chicken nuggets or sausage patty. Drinks include coffees, espressos, cappucino, juices, sodas, even slush puppies. Have a brownie, cookie or soft serve for the sweet tooth.

Features:
• Catering
• Family friendly
• Smoke free
• Take-out offered
• Vegetarian friendly
9701 Kenwood Road
Cincinnati, OH 45242
513-891-5542
6 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Friday; 6 a.m.-8 p.m. Saturday-Sunday.

http://www.cincinnatiusa.com/Dining/detail.asp?RestID=1128

They are just like the Bronx NY Kosher bagels that I grew up on!

The owner is a Catholic believe it or not but they are made under Kosher conditions as is the whole deli.

Only the Kenwood store is operational at this time.
Slogun
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/12 16:59:30 (permalink)
quote:
The Italian joint right there, Bravo's, is exceptionally good for a chain

Yeah my GF is an Italian food junkie. So I usually take her there when I don't feel like driving all the way downtown to scotti's. We have been to several different Bravo locations and they are all good. Like my grandparents say about why they like Bob Evans so much. "you know what you're going to get!"

Scotti's is my GF's favorite restaurant in Cinci. We actually stumbled upon it on our exploratory trip to Cinci. We just decided to drive downtown and look around after a long day of apartment hunting. We first walked into Universal Grill next door which was a bit of surprise.(Anyone who has been there will know why.) Still the place was nice so we had a drink and did some people watching. We decided to go next door and get dinner. The food was great. I had veal that was perfectly cooked and my GF had the Spaghetti Bolognese. She asked them to melt cheese on top of it, and they said no which I thought was hilarious. I wont melt cheese on her spag when I make it either. The food was a so good and the ambience is nice. one of our favorites.
Slogun
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/12 17:02:36 (permalink)
quote:
They are just like the Bronx NY Kosher bagels that I grew up on! The owner is a Catholic believe it or not but they are made under Kosher conditions as is the whole deli.
I am practically on my way. There is such a large Jewish community in the Detroit area you take a good bagel for granted!
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4544
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/12 21:57:05 (permalink)
I like Metro Bagels on Mason-Montgomery North of I-71 much much better than Marx

http://www.aroundcinci.com/food/restaurant.asp?restaurant=575

sizz
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1685
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/12 23:06:18 (permalink)
I like Marx Bagels a genuine classic Kosher New York type bagel shop so much better then Metro Bagels

soozycue520
  • Total Posts : 1031
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/13 00:56:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by sizz

I like Marx Bagels a genuine classic Kosher New York type bagel shop so much better then Metro Bagels

When Marx Bagels were in Roselawn in the 70's, they were GOOD bagels. They were boiled before they were baked. A small shop produced some great bagels, some really great {GRR8...} bagels. Only my Cincy version of good bagels. I miss them.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/13 08:24:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

I like Metro Bagels on Mason-Montgomery North of I-71 much much better than Marx

http://www.aroundcinci.com/food/restaurant.asp?restaurant=575

May I ask where you were born and raised? We seem to have different tastes in bagels and pizza which probably stems from our early year experiences growing up I would be willing to bet.
yonkersnyc
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/13 21:57:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by rpglegal

First time poster here... but a rabid reader of this thread, and I thank those who recommended Honey in Northside. We celebrated my foodie daughter's 18th birthday there and were much impressed... with food, atmosphere, serving the works.

Anyway... living in the Blue Ash area, I have to admit I was embarrassed that I had not been to Cheezeburgers.. the restaurant attached to Skips' on Montgomery... So in January I decided to make a stop... and have now been back 4 times The crew that works there have a great time providing a terrific burger and the onion straws are delicious. Not a bad price point either!

And have made 3 visits to Incahoots in Blue Ash since they opened. Really like this place, but the parking stinks. No way you can do this place on a Friday evening, but on Saturday afternoon, and week nights its a lovely location, and my biggest compliment.. portion sizes that are about perfect! Really like their fish sandwich and the salad with the pasta noodles in it. The champagne pear salad dressing is addicting. You can go in and get dinner and still have room to split a wonderful dessert. They don't do their cheesecake in house, but whoever they get it from... it's delightful, and the Creme Carmel is sinful.

Lastly... we visited the new BJ's at Tri-County during their pre-opening fund raising event. Sat at the bar and was entertained by a great Bar crew. Tried the beer sampler (they brew their own...) and several were wonderful.. a few I took a pass on. Also tried their homemade rootbeer which was a definitely thumbs up... if your a root beer lover. Food was very good.. portions were huge! Can you say cheesecake factory???? Tried to make a trip back last Friday night... at 7 pm they had a 2 hour wait! So we hopped back in the car and headed up Rt. 4 to stop in at Sabor Peruano (peruvian)

I had lunch in their old restaurant and wanted to try the new location. Same menu... just a larger space. It is definitely different... and I'm still not sure what I think? On the appetizer menu try Huancaina which is their version of potato salad. It is addicting!... but what about my steak dinner? Think layers... Rice, french fries, fried banana's, steak, fried eggs... ???? Yup... the steak has a lot of seasoning and is pounded flat. They use alot of cilantro in their cooking, and I'm not a fan, so that may be what turned me off. Dinner companion had Fried fish with onions and tomatoes. Fish was very fishy! But the onions and tomatoes were delicious over rice..... Prices are a little higher than you might expect.
That's all for now!

yonkersnyc
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/13 22:12:54 (permalink)
First things first, T.J. thanks for your reviews of several places downtown to eat. I have tried many a place and agreed with your opinion most of the time (except for the Gondola Pizza place). Having grown up in NYC and living here in Cinci for the past 2.5 years I am confident that Gondola pizza is nothing close to NY pizza.

As for my main point, I agree with luebster. The new place on Vine called Balboas is the place for hard core pizza lovers fro the east coast. Went there twice this week after reading luebsters review and the cheesesteak is the best in Cinci. No one touches this place and there ingredients. Talked w/ the manager for a couple of minutes and he said they import their main ingredients from the east coast. The sad part for Gondola pizza is that this prime NY style pizza joint (Balboas) is right around the corner from them. The manager said they are opening til 4am on Thurs, Fri, and Sat starting next week. Thank god, no more Shanghai Mama for a little while
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4544
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/13 22:57:47 (permalink)
Re: Gondola's
I have been thinking lately that I need to revisit the place to see if they've improved, and in fact, almost ate there today. I honestly have never been to NYC, so I can only say that when I was last there, it has the "look" of a NYC pie, to my untrained eye. Sorry if I misrepresented. The fellow who runs the place seems to be a NYer...

Re: Metro Bagels
I haven't been there in a few years. I need to check them out again as well.

Re: Rise and Shine Cafe
The "closed for water main break" sign at Rise and Shine has been replaced by a Realtor's "space available" poster. I don't think they are coming back this time.

Re: Kickin Chicken Fingers
On page 28 of this thread, I told you how the old Patoshnik's space had been redeveloped as Papa Joe's Kickin' Chicken Fingers and Fries. I don't know when it came to an end, but the place has been permanently closed, with all the equipment gone. The Chamber's restaurant in the building next store (formerly Reno's) is also closed - "over a year now" according to the guard on duty. I don't get up that way as much since Patoshnik's went under and Harry's closed.

Re: Oceanaire
I peeked into the interior today, and it is coming together slowly. I don't see the frantic workpace I expected, and the "Opening in March" sign has been replaced by one reading "Opening in Late Spring".

Re: Burrito Joe's
The new location on Main in the former "Carol's on Main" space is open. Sue me for loving a chain over a local guy, but downtown Cincinnati really, really needs a Chipotle. Or Two. Or someone (not Moe's) who can make a decent burrito, chain or not. I still don't understand why Javier's doesn't do a pork burrito.

Re: Amor de Brazil
I'm stealing this straight from the Cincinnati Foodie Blog - they closed for good as of March 11. Cincinnati has one Churruscaria left - Boi Na Braza in the Carew Tower. Guess I will have to get over there soon before this lousy economy takes them down too
Slogun
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/14 00:46:57 (permalink)
Two late nights at work have led to 2 consecutive nights out. Suburban Dad wondered if I had been to Bistro Ginza or Cheezburger Cafe. Well as of tonight I can say yes and yes.

Bistro Ginza.

If I had ordered Sashimi I probably would have been very happy but I ordered Nigiri sushi instead. My main problem is that the rice was very warm. It bordered on hot. I am a cool rice kind of guy. The fish was expertly prepared and very fresh but the very warm rice threw me off.

I ordered 12 pieces Nigiri sushi and GF ordered seafood udon noodles. We ended up sharing the 2 dishes. The sushi was 24.95 and the noodles 11.95. Add in tax and 20% tip and we were sitting at $47 and change.

The service was prompt but without enthusiasm. The overall ambiance of the restaurant was fairly uncomfortable.
Bottom line: The fish was excellent but GF and I didn't feel very welcome, and I didn't like the Very warm rice.

Cheezburger Cafe was great! The service was so friendly and helpful. We both made our own burgers, and I had the Cajun fries and she had the regular fries. Our server made our night with his enthusiasm and prompt service. The burgers were tasty and the price was right.

I was really looking forward to Bistro Ginza and not sure if I even wanted to go to Cheezeburger cafe. Its funny how superior service can make a $16 meal seem far more enjoyable and satisfying than a $48 meal.
franklee
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 64
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/14 02:31:55 (permalink)
Lunchbunch at DeMeo's Pasta & Grill in Milford Today... had eaten a while back at his previous Milford restaurant (Lighthouse?). Corn chowder to write home about! Best I've ever had... better than most Souther Italian (I prefer Northern Italian) food I've eaten in the area, but, generally, I was not impressed. the same guy had brought out killer food to us. today breadsticks were superb... antipasto also... (and vanilla bean cheesecake - none of their tradmark carrot cake) - prices are reasonable $7-10 for entrees...there were only couple of pieces of sausage in my rigatoni (we all shared 4 diff entrees).. I wonder if i'd be happier w/ Dom's dinners....
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/14 08:17:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by franklee

Lunchbunch at DeMeo's Pasta & Grill in Milford Today... had eaten a while back at his previous Milford restaurant (Lighthouse?). Corn chowder to write home about! Best I've ever had... better than most Souther Italian (I prefer Northern Italian) food I've eaten in the area, but, generally, I was not impressed. the same guy had brought out killer food to us. today breadsticks were superb... antipasto also... (and vanilla bean cheesecake - none of their tradmark carrot cake) - prices are reasonable $7-10 for entrees...there were only couple of pieces of sausage in my rigatoni (we all shared 4 diff entrees).. I wonder if i'd be happier w/ Dom's dinners....
Dom's (owner and cook) dinners include for the most part the option to vary the sauce taste from sweet to as spicy as you would like - I had the eggplant parmesan at Dom's with the lunchbunch and I found it to be delicious but the sauce was too sweet. I also thought the amount of sausage in franklee's entree was very skimpy as well as the amount of scallops (6) in the Lighthous Scallops entree - which is breaded scallops tossed in a light garlic cream sauce with parmesan cheese, bacon and penne pasta for $8.95. I too loved the garlic breadsticks and antipasto but I am always disappointed with Cinci antipasto not including roasted peppers or true Italian coldcuts like cappicola or prosciutto or mortadella. Their southern fried chicken tenders were outstanding.

I had been to Dom's previous Lighthouse Restaurant in Milford that he ran with his wife Lynette - I learned while at DeMeo's that Lynette and her sister Sandy (the cake maker and carrot cake creator/expert) opened a family home-cooking type restaurant (Bakers Family Diner) about 5 miles from DeMeo's this past November - in Goshen - also on State Route 28 - across from the Eagle Nest Golf Course (tel 513 575 4060) - which I am anxious to try soon.

NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/14 17:17:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by yonkersnyc

First things first, T.J. thanks for your reviews of several places downtown to eat. I have tried many a place and agreed with your opinion most of the time (except for the Gondola Pizza place). Having grown up in NYC and living here in Cinci for the past 2.5 years I am confident that Gondola pizza is nothing close to NY pizza.

As for my main point, I agree with luebster. The new place on Vine called Balboas is the place for hard core pizza lovers fro the east coast. Went there twice this week after reading luebsters review and the cheesesteak is the best in Cinci. No one touches this place and there ingredients. Talked w/ the manager for a couple of minutes and he said they import their main ingredients from the east coast. The sad part for Gondola pizza is that this prime NY style pizza joint (Balboas) is right around the corner from them. The manager said they are opening til 4am on Thurs, Fri, and Sat starting next week. Thank god, no more Shanghai Mama for a little while
Hi yonkersnyc! We seem to be from the same neck of the woods growing up - I grew up in Yonkers and fondly recall real NY crust pizzas! I had missed word on Balboa's - I will have to try it soon - I live a bit away from downtown and normally avoid downtown due to traffic and parking - being retired for some time.

Here is an article I found on Balboa's opening/history:

http://milwaukee.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/othercities/cincinnati/stories/2008/02/11/story11.html?b=1202706000%5E1588335

Business Courier of Cincinnati - February 11, 2008
http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/othercities/cincinnati/stories/2008/02/11/story11.html

Friday, February 8, 2008
Cheesesteak joint Balboa's knuckles into Dink's downtown Cincinnati space
Business Courier of Cincinnati - by Lisa Biank Fasig Staff Reporter

Dink's, the downtown luncheonette that brought low-priced Frito pies, gravy fries and Chicago dogs to office workers, is changing ownership to become an eatery dedicated to Philadelphia's best-known foods.

Owner Kent Vandersall, who opened the Vine Street eatery in April 2006, is selling his lease and expects the deal to be completed by next week. His last day will be Feb. 8. The new owner, former Subway franchisee Harish Sonecha, plans to reopen March 3 as Balboa's Philly Steaks and Pizza.

For Vandersall, the move was more about time than business. As the general manager of the Phoenix downtown, he's been pulling down two full-time jobs.

"It's just too much work," he said.

Sonecha and his partner, Tej Thakar, will specialize in authentic Philly cheese-steaks, with the meat and bread flown in from Philadelphia. They also will make New York-style pizzas, with the dough coming from the East Coast, and lastly, they will sell Tastykakes, the snack cakes made and sold in Philadelphia.

This is the second Balboa's for Sonecha, a Philadelphia native. He opened his first location last November in Indianapolis, where he had operated several Subway franchises. He also had operated some franchises in Cincinnati but wanted a change of pace.

"We've all had enough of the franchise stuff and decided we want to do things the way we want," he said.

Debi O'Dell, general manager at Diamond Properties, which owns the building at 628 Vine St., said Sonecha signed a five-year lease after looking at other downtown sites. She hooked him up with Vandersall.

"I know that Kent was interested in giving up his business," she said.

But Vandersall, who is from Long Island, N.Y., said he'd do it again. "It's been a blast," he said. "I don't regret anything."

E-mail: lfasig@bizjournals.com. Call: (513) 337-9435.

P.S. On what page is luebster's review of Balboa's found on in this thread?
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/14 22:45:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by luebster

Ate at Balboa's (the cheesesteak/pizza place in the former Dink's) Thursday. I've not eaten a "true" Philly cheesesteak before, so I can't tell you how it compares, but I can tell you that what Balboa's serves is very good.

I had a half Philly Cheesesteak and fries. If I had to compare the fries to a fast-food joint, I'd say they are closest to McDonald's. Very good. Too bad they seem to use generic ketchup and not standards like Heinz or Hunts.

The Amaroso(?) roll was very soft, fresh, and delicious. The steak was very tender and seasoned appropriately with hints of salt and pepper. I added onions, mushrooms and provolone (I know...shoulda got it "with whiz") from the extensive list of ingredients you can add.

My meal was great and I'll definitely be back for more.

NYPN~

This was on pg. 47. SOunds like it's worth a try. If I go, I'll bring my camera.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/14 22:57:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by soozycue520

quote:
Originally posted by luebster

Ate at Balboa's (the cheesesteak/pizza place in the former Dink's) Thursday. I've not eaten a "true" Philly cheesesteak before, so I can't tell you how it compares, but I can tell you that what Balboa's serves is very good.

I had a half Philly Cheesesteak and fries. If I had to compare the fries to a fast-food joint, I'd say they are closest to McDonald's. Very good. Too bad they seem to use generic ketchup and not standards like Heinz or Hunts.

The Amaroso(?) roll was very soft, fresh, and delicious. The steak was very tender and seasoned appropriately with hints of salt and pepper. I added onions, mushrooms and provolone (I know...shoulda got it "with whiz") from the extensive list of ingredients you can add.

My meal was great and I'll definitely be back for more.

NYPN~

This was on pg. 47. SOunds like it's worth a try. If I go, I'll bring my camera.
Thanks sc520.

Does anyone know where you can find crusty chewy Jewish rye bread like you find in NYC/Yonkers bakeries? I have had no luck in greater Cinci and I have lived here since 1977.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 521
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/15 15:04:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Re: Gondola's
I have been thinking lately that I need to revisit the place to see if they've improved, and in fact, almost ate there today. I honestly have never been to NYC, so I can only say that when I was last there, it has the "look" of a NYC pie, to my untrained eye. Sorry if I misrepresented. The fellow who runs the place seems to be a NYer...

Re: Metro Bagels
I haven't been there in a few years. I need to check them out again as well.

Re: Rise and Shine Cafe
The "closed for water main break" sign at Rise and Shine has been replaced by a Realtor's "space available" poster. I don't think they are coming back this time.

Re: Kickin Chicken Fingers
On page 28 of this thread, I told you how the old Patoshnik's space had been redeveloped as Papa Joe's Kickin' Chicken Fingers and Fries. I don't know when it came to an end, but the place has been permanently closed, with all the equipment gone. The Chamber's restaurant in the building next store (formerly Reno's) is also closed - "over a year now" according to the guard on duty. I don't get up that way as much since Patoshnik's went under and Harry's closed.

Re: Oceanaire
I peeked into the interior today, and it is coming together slowly. I don't see the frantic workpace I expected, and the "Opening in March" sign has been replaced by one reading "Opening in Late Spring".

Re: Burrito Joe's
The new location on Main in the former "Carol's on Main" space is open. Sue me for loving a chain over a local guy, but downtown Cincinnati really, really needs a Chipotle. Or Two. Or someone (not Moe's) who can make a decent burrito, chain or not. I still don't understand why Javier's doesn't do a pork burrito.

Re: Amor de Brazil
I'm stealing this straight from the Cincinnati Foodie Blog - they closed for good as of March 11. Cincinnati has one Churruscaria left - Boi Na Braza in the Carew Tower. Guess I will have to get over there soon before this lousy economy takes them down too

OMG, I loved that Amor de Brazil. The gf and I went there for our birthdays. That's very depressing. And on top of Giovanni's closing. Bad week for Bonk.

The Poppa Joe's doesn't surprise me. The food was pretty good, but it was impossible to figure out when he was going to be open. I have very little patience with that.

Chamber's was terrible anyway. Even though our business is out of that building, I hope they put something good there eventually.

TJ - Did you talk to the 6-feet-9 security guard in the lobby? He used to play basketball for UD. Nice guy. Mark, I think his name is.

yonkersnyc
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/16 16:48:46 (permalink)
The problem with people in Cinci is that they can't seems to stop ordering LaRosas, Donatos, and any other chain pizza long enough to try the smaller shops and recognize the quality available in some of these other joints.

I do have to say that the bread they use at Balboa's reminds me of the same Italian roll that I got back home. Apparently its opening til 4am starting this coming week on Thurs, Fri, and Sat nights and I for one am looking forward to inhaling some steaks and pizza after a good night of drinking.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/16 17:01:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by yonkersnyc

The problem with people in Cinci is that they can't seems to stop ordering LaRosas, Donatos, and any other chain pizza long enough to try the smaller shops and recognize the quality available in some of these other joints.

I do have to say that the bread they use at Balboa's reminds me of the same Italian roll that I got back home. Apparently its opening til 4am starting this coming week on Thurs, Fri, and Sat nights and I for one am looking forward to inhaling some steaks and pizza after a good night of drinking.
Many small shops also have stinky pizza, ie Flying Pizza, Roc-A-Fella, Nicky's Famous Pizza (except their thin crust which they don't tell you about till you complain about their regular cakey crust).

Dewey's Pizzeria is one of the exceptions in Cinci though - they do it mostly right most of the time.
Suburban Dad
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/16 21:56:12 (permalink)
I like Aponte's pizza in Mason...can anyone from NY/NJ area vouch for the authenticity of this east coast pie?
thisIsSteve
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/16 22:20:27 (permalink)
Long-time lurker, first time poster.

I have to whole-heartedly agree with luebster's review of balboa's and not only because I was sitting across the table. I have gotten an authentic philly steak (although only one) and can honestly say this is the closest I've ever tasted, definitely my favorite in the nati by far. Plenty of grease, in the best way, and everything seemed very fresh. It would be great if they offered the cherry peppers like philly, but the wiz, soft roll, and tender steak make up for it. I didn't try the za myself, but two others in our group did and said it was really good. I will say it smelled delicious. Every time I've walked past there seems too be quite a line, which I'm happy to see. I think this place definitely has a future and the late-night weekend hours will surely help their business as well as downtown's.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/16 22:41:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Suburban Dad

I like Aponte's pizza in Mason...can anyone from NY/NJ area vouch for the authenticity of this east coast pie?
Their crust is limp and cakey - not really like the chewy crusty NY style.
jjjrfoodie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 422
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/18 00:40:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by thisIsSteve

I will say it smelled delicious. Every time I've walked past there seems too be quite a line, which I'm happy to see. I think this place definitely has a future and the late-night weekend hours will surely help their business as well as downtown's.

I think a lot of the local foodies lurk here or pass on info from this site based upon the e-mails i have had with Enquirer staff and knowlege of CinWeekly moles.

I will be down to balbos this week or next and those who i have sent have had good experiences including a friend who flies to Jersey/Philly every Monday to return every Friday fro business.

Amarossa rolls are also used a WAWA's as you all know, so it is a good product thru and thru. Maybe not EXACT, but good enough for a river town.

TJ, let me know your schedele for the next week or two and i'd love to get togther and finally chat over a cheesesteak.

jjjrfoodie
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/18 15:57:44 (permalink)
Here is a good write-up on what NY style pizza is supposed to be:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York-style_pizza
yonkersnyc
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/18 17:49:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by thisIsSteve

I have to whole-heartedly agree with luebster's review of balboa's and not only because I was sitting across the table. I have gotten an authentic philly steak (although only one) and can honestly say this is the closest I've ever tasted, definitely my favorite in the nati by far. Plenty of grease, in the best way, and everything seemed very fresh. It would be great if they offered the cherry peppers like philly, but the wiz, soft roll, and tender steak make up for it. I didn't try the za myself, but two others in our group did and said it was really good. I will say it smelled delicious. Every time I've walked past there seems too be quite a line, which I'm happy to see. I think this place definitely has a future and the late-night weekend hours will surely help their business as well as downtown's.
yonkersnyc
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/18 17:56:58 (permalink)
Well I went to Balboa's today and I agree with the article that pizzanut linked up to. Their pizza crust is definately more indicitive of NY style crust than any others in the area. I had a slice and a cheesesteak too. What can I say, I'll worry about the cholestoral later.

The damn Amoroso roll is what does it. Don't bother getting anything but the cheese whiz on it. That product was made for cheesesteaks if nothing else. I think Friday will be a Tastykake day for me. The guy ahead of me in line bought 5 packs to take back to people in his office.
SteveB
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/19 10:06:23 (permalink)
[
Does anyone know where you can find crusty chewy Jewish rye bread like you find in NYC/Yonkers bakeries? I have had no luck in greater Cinci and I have lived here since 1977.

No such thing in Cincinnati that I have found (lived here since 1975). The closest substitute I have found is the Salt Rye at Servati's - a nice rye with a chewy crust. Not quite a ny jewish rye (doesn't have as much of that pleasantly sour taste) but still a very nice rye. I get up to Cleveland a lot and can get real jewish rye up there (Davis bakery.)

Next - Any NY refugees yet discover the Nathan's hot dog place in West Chester?
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/19 15:57:02 (permalink)
Two weeks ago I went to Tinks for restaurant week. The restaurant week portions were small, but I went there for the shrimp & grits. I had already torn into it before I remembered I had my camera.

The second course was Portabella Beef Bruschetta.

My cousin ordered the Kobe Beef Burger {$15, not real bad for kobe in Cincy}. It was an excellent burger and great salad. I tried both, since I was still hungry after my $25.08 meal.

I had the Trio Plate for dessert. It consisted of a small triangle of Chocolate Decadence Cake, a small slice of bread pudding, and a spoon [yes, a teaspoon} of creme brulee'. It was really a fantastic, albeit small, meal. Oh, and I forgot to take a pic of the dessert plate.

Slogun
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/20 17:47:52 (permalink)
I am looking for a good butcher in the area. I am specifically looking for piedmontese beef. I am in the loveland-Mason area if anyone could help that would be great.

While I am at it I am also looking for a good fish monger.

Thanks,

Slogun
franklee
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 64
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/20 21:45:09 (permalink)
btw Johnny Rockets also has Nathan's hotdogs...

lunchbunch today at Sister's BBQ & Soul Food, 5922 1/2 Hamilton Avenue in College Hill, a couple of blocks from Goodies and probably overlooked by us heretofore because of that. Imagine our surprise to find Sister's is even better than Goodies! Vinegar based sauce is delicious. Boneless ribtips. Excellent ribs, which (Owner's spouse) Harry assured us are qualitatively consistent. half a rack of baby ribs w/ two sides $10. Rib tips $7.50 (no sides). We also tried the catfish with cornmeal breading... catfish was tame but the breading took me back home to Tennessee.. excellent... Salmon croquettes were the best I've eaten in a long while... a little peppery with a hint of something else.. Bob thought citrusy... A little birdy told me there was a jar of mustard over there by the croquette table... mmmm... Sides: sweet potatoes definitely a 10... potato salad (with lots of egg) also a 10.... collards are as good as Aunt Flora's at Findlay Market... mac and cheese.. bob says it was also very good... not my cuppa... green beans didn't impress me.. Bob liked them... coleslaw.. a "different" taste which I liked a lot but which bob did not... an indication of what we liked is the takeout we order... bob ordered potato salad for home to go with his leftover ribs and tips... i got ribs/ribtips, greens, potato salad and sweet potatoes.. You have to look quickly, however.. Sister's is in the middle of the block.. just down (away from Ronald Reagon Hway) from North Bend..
Page: << < ..4142434445.. > >> Showing page 43 of 109
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1