AnsweredHot!WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Page: << < ..4142434445.. > >> Showing page 44 of 111
Author
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3151
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/20 23:02:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by franklee

btw Johnny Rockets also has Nathan's hotdogs...

lunchbunch today at Sister's BBQ & Soul Food, 5922 1/2 Hamilton Avenue in College Hill, a couple of blocks from Goodies and probably overlooked by us heretofore because of that. Imagine our surprise to find Sister's is even better than Goodies! Vinegar based sauce is delicious. Boneless ribtips. Excellent ribs, which (Owner's spouse) Harry assured us are qualitatively consistent. half a rack of baby ribs w/ two sides $10. Rib tips $7.50 (no sides). We also tried the catfish with cornmeal breading... catfish was tame but the breading took me back home to Tennessee.. excellent... Salmon croquettes were the best I've eaten in a long while... a little peppery with a hint of something else.. Bob thought citrusy... A little birdy told me there was a jar of mustard over there by the croquette table... mmmm... Sides: sweet potatoes definitely a 10... potato salad (with lots of egg) also a 10.... collards are as good as Aunt Flora's at Findlay Market... mac and cheese.. bob says it was also very good... not my cuppa... green beans didn't impress me.. Bob liked them... coleslaw.. a "different" taste which I liked a lot but which bob did not... an indication of what we liked is the takeout we order... bob ordered potato salad for home to go with his leftover ribs and tips... i got ribs/ribtips, greens, potato salad and sweet potatoes.. You have to look quickly, however.. Sister's is in the middle of the block.. just down (away from Ronald Reagon Hway) from North Bend..
This is the other part of the lunchbunch reporting on Sister's Restaurant. Firstly the writeup from cincinnatiusa:

http://www.cincinnatiusa.com/Dining/detail.asp?RestID=8003

Sister's Restaurant
Tel 513 542 1400
Cuisine:
Soul Food

Price:
Under $10

Attire:
Casual

Lovely atmosphere, colorful, clean, enjoyable, and family friendly.

Sister's is a soul food haven, with rib tips, salmon, chicken wings, catfish, tilapia, whiting, and a slew of sides-collard greens, candied yams, potato salad, cole slaw, and mac 'n' cheese. Try the triple chocolate cake or the lemon cake for dessert.

Features:
• Alcohol free
• Cash only
• Catering
• Family friendly
• Reservations accepted
• Smoke free
• Specialty desserts
• Take-out offered

Please note they are open 9 am - 4 pm presently Tuesday - Saturday - they are closed on Sunday and Monday and do not serve past 4 pm (if you show up looking hungry just before 4 pm they will probably let you in and take good care of you.)

They serve wonderful looking reasonably priced breakfasts also - we saw some gorgeous looking omelettes being eaten when we first came in the door at 11 am.

I enjoyed this down-home restaurant because of the food and hospitality and friendliness of the owner and staff.

I am usually apprehensive about going to new places but this establishment taught me that the unknown factor sometimes leads to a truly delightful day. I cannot begin to tell you how much we enjoyed our food and visit to Sister's. What I will say is if you like this kind of food you will most likely love this place.

I have never tasted better rib tips, boneless or with bone. They were juicy and succulent and delicious - they came sauced and I think it would be very hard to top the delicious flavor of the rib tips with the sauce they make there daily. The baby ribs (same sauce) were also very tasty.

I loved the potato salad and the mac 'n' cheese and the sweet potatoes and collard greens (this is the first time I really enjoyed collard greens). I was also awed by the catfish and the salmon croquettes. The only item I disliked was the cole slaw which I found to be too sweet (it has sweet relish in it).

While there we noted many customers ordered hamburgers and turkey hamburgers and they seemed to really enjoy them.

They have a huge parking lot behind their building - which serves the whole retail strip on the block and there is an alley way that will take you to Hamilton Ave and and you turn right and go down a few stores to Sister's - if you park on Hamilton Ave you have to feed one or two hour meters.

If you like chess they have 2 beautiful sets there if you enjoy the game and have some spare time to play a game or two. We played a game of Scrabble afterwards (using our own board).
soozycue520
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1032
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/21 14:11:23 (permalink)
I went to Andy's Mediterranean Grille last night. When we were given menus, we were shocked at the prices. Now, I am not scared to pay $$$ for good food, but I didn't think $21 for 2 kabobs was reasonable. On the appetizer menu were $5.00 fries. We asked our server if the were Lebanese or greek, or special in any way. She said they were just regular steak fries. The greek salad is $10!!!!

Anyway, we order the Lebanese pizza {$10, without shawarma~some of the prices are even higher than on the website} and the Mediterranean appetizer sampler {$12}. We didn't order entrees because we saw the small size of plates coming to other tables. Having been at other Mediterranean restaurants in and outside of Cincinnati, I have not seen prices so high for such small portions of mediocre food. Maybe people think they are the only game in town, giving Andy the right to jack up prices.

Has anyone else been here? I would like to know if anyone has a different opinion. I did a search and couldn't find any comments about this restaurant on this site.

http://www.andyskabob.com/
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4609
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/21 14:38:45 (permalink)
I walked into Andy's one day thinking I'd try out the place, and walked right back out due to the prices. Never been back.
franklee
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 64
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/21 14:45:32 (permalink)
the lunchbunch went to Andy's years ago.. prob 2001-2003... before he was real popular... food wasn't great....prices weren't bad... Andy was friendly... course... lunchtime is a much better time to acquaint yourself with a restaurant methinks... and we try to arrive by 11am.. before the rush... I remember Andy talking about setting up a patio...but there was no raw kibbee which is one of the Lebanese foods I like...mediocre then... but friendly... I remember I bought several bottles of Lebanese wine for gifts... I do remember we did not rate it as a place to which we wanted to return
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/22 14:38:39 (permalink)
quote:

the lunchbunch went to Andy's years ago.. prob 2001-2003... before he was real popular... food wasn't great....prices weren't bad... Andy was friendly... course... lunchtime is a much better time to acquaint yourself with a restaurant methinks... and we try to arrive by 11am.. before the rush... I remember Andy talking about setting up a patio...but there was no raw kibbee which is one of the Lebanese foods I like...mediocre then... but friendly... I remember I bought several bottles of Lebanese wine for gifts... I do remember we did not rate it as a place to which we wanted to return
I wonder if they still have bellydancers on the weekends.
BillC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 119
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/22 15:54:12 (permalink)
back in dec. i wrote:
I pretty much feel the same way you guys feel about the closing. That said, a guy Sandy works with told her late last week the place had closed. At the same time, he said that a place called European Deli and Bakery (or something like that) had opened in the richardson rd., weaver rd., u.s. 25 area. we're not that familiar with that part of nky., so i can't quite place it, but we'll probably check it out after the holidays. I kinda wonder if that isn't where Stefan, the butcher, didn't end up.

well, we went today. the name of the place is the europe market. it's really a yugoslavian place. i know yugoslavia doesn't exist anymore, but we couldn't tell if the products primarily came from bosnia, serbia or croatia. if i had to guess, i'd say croatia. canned and packaged goods, a small display of meats in a cooler and fresh baked bread. there were four guys watching a dvd at the front of the store. nobody paid any attention to us when we entered or when we left. a croatian woman sandy knows spoke highly of the bread, sausages and coffee. probably not worth going out of the way for unless you have a strong interest in this stuff.
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 335
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/22 23:21:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by NYPIzzaNut
They [Troni's] are in Kettering but some sites list them as Beavercreek - they are closed Sundays; they are open Monday - Thursday 11 am - 10 pm and Saturday hours are 11am - 11 pm.

I made it there a week ago (March 15). I didn't know how formal it was with the dim lights and candlelit tables--fortunately they let me in wearing jeans. I got a seat at the bar and ordered a 12-inch New York style pizza with pepperoni. It was good!
Euched
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 35
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/23 19:39:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by soozycue520

I went to Andy's Mediterranean Grille last night. When we were given menus, we were shocked at the prices. Now, I am not scared to pay $$$ for good food, but I didn't think $21 for 2 kabobs was reasonable. On the appetizer menu were $5.00 fries. We asked our server if the were Lebanese or greek, or special in any way. She said they were just regular steak fries. The greek salad is $10!!!!

Anyway, we order the Lebanese pizza {$10, without shawarma~some of the prices are even higher than on the website} and the Mediterranean appetizer sampler {$12}. We didn't order entrees because we saw the small size of plates coming to other tables. Having been at other Mediterranean restaurants in and outside of Cincinnati, I have not seen prices so high for such small portions of mediocre food. Maybe people think they are the only game in town, giving Andy the right to jack up prices.

Has anyone else been here? I would like to know if anyone has a different opinion. I did a search and couldn't find any comments about this restaurant on this site.

http://www.andyskabob.com/

First time poster, long time lurker...

If you would like a great Mediterranean type place you should check out Taz in Mason. It is across the street from Pizza Tower in what I believe used to be Burger King and behind the Frisches. It is owned by the son of the man that used to own Mejana in downtown Cincinnati and it is VERY good. Their prices are very reasonable and the amount of food you get for the price is very good.
franklee
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/24 11:32:29 (permalink)
Troni's... at lunch on the Thursday we were there was definitely informal...
franklee
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/24 11:34:12 (permalink)
any casual French style restaurants in the area?
vudutu
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 23
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/24 12:17:27 (permalink)
quote:

any casual French style restaurants in the area?

Jean Ros Bistro between 4th and 5th on the west side of vine, eat at the bar if there is just a couple of you or if you are alone, Jen or Jeannie will take good care of you. I for one think that eating at the bar at the Bistro with Jeannie is one of the best bangs for the buck food, drink and and entertainment wise in town. the pom frites are the real deal, nd the liver melts in you mouth, good Belgian beer on tap.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/24 14:14:48 (permalink)
Some misc comments

Foodie Blog
The[url='http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/foodie/']Foodie Blog[/url] appears to be moving to a "only registered users can comment" arrangement, fueled no doubt by the large number of assinine remarks and personal attacks launched by anonymous posters there. This is from a remark entered by Nicci King in response to our own Vudutu in the comments to a recent blog entry. I for one am quite tired of the anonymous nonsense and look forward to the registration requirement. It's kinda funny and pathetic at the same time to watch the anonymous folks squirm and bray now that this has been announced - check it out at: http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/foodie/2008/03/wine-dinner.asp#comments

Roma Italia
I made my very first visit to Roma Italia today and was very disappointed. The only two things even moderately good were the salad dressing and the fresh baked rolls. I will revisit to see if this was just a fluke, and will give a fuller report later.

Javier's
I desperately want to like this place, but again and again I get a less than tasty product that falls apart before I am even able to pick it up the first time. At Burrito Joes, same lack of taste but a least it all stays together and they do not charge extra for putting rice in the filling - Javier wants a buck for the rice - one of the cheapest ingredients he has! Mind you, I like the concept - I really like the Chipotle product, for example, which shares the same "big burrito" concept.

DeMeo's
I took the kids there on a night the wife was working late, as they love a plate of spaghetti and meatballs like few other dinner items in this world. We ended up with a chicken parm sandwich for me, a spaghetti and meatballs for the youngest, and a fettucini alfredo for the oldest. The sauce on my chicken parm was very good, but veered over into the sweet side - Cincinnati loves it's sweet sauces - me, not as much. Still solidly good. The youngest ate more than I have ever seen her eat before from a portion that was adult dinner sized (and then some) to my eyes, so she liked it. I tried the meatball, and found it velvety and delicious. The oldest's fettucini was buried in a sea of the thickest alfredo sauce I have ever seen. There was also a lot of clarified butter seperating in it. It had a good but mild taste, and naturally she tried of it quickly, preferring bits of what her sister and I had. This is another place I think merits a return visit for a re-try, this time for something featuring their bolognese sauce.

Country Inn
15 pages or so back in this thread, a fellow asked
quote:
Originally posted by CincyKid

Has anybody eaten at the Country Inn on Beechmont Avenue? They have really good breakfast and it's relatively inexpensive. They always have daily specials too.
....and I had always intended to get over there to check it out. I just managed to this past week due to a schedule oddity.....and it was not good at all Even the home fries were bad - and I had not before ever had bad home fries......biscuits and gravey were like 5 bucks by themselves, and the biscuits were from a box in the freezer - not worth a visit, folks

As you can see, I'm batting a thousand when it comes to disappointments, so throw me a bone if you've got one :-)
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/24 17:29:21 (permalink)
Note DeMeo's offers marinara sauce choices from sweet to spicy on their dinner menu. You have to know to request what you want.

The Country Inn you mention is owned by a Greek family, who own two other restaurants in Mt Orab - one is known by the same name and the other is Butterbee's - both are on Route 68 - Butterbee's is a sports bar and restaurant about a mile or so south of State Rt 32 on the left - I have not been there but it has got mixed reviews from what I hear - steaks, chops, burgers and other typical bar fare - the original Country Inn is down the road a piece about 3 miles south of State Rt 32 on the right side of the road.

This Country Inn has exceptionally good food, homemade sweet cornbread/rolls, a choice of two wonderful homemade soups/salad bar. Their fried chicken is exceptional - it takes 20 minutes to cook and is well worth the wait - it comes with choices of one or two vegetables or a variety of potato sides. Menu is pretty extensive.

My wife has been to the one on Beechmont and liked whatever she had. She tells me it has no salad bar.

My wife and I eat regularly at the Country Inn in Mt Orab and generally always stick with the fried chicken dinner/salad and soup bar/cornbread. It is like heaven. We have never had better fried chicken anywhere in the country - it is three large pieces and the skin is a wonder and the meat is succulent. We generally take a piece home along with some cornbread.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=country+inn&near=Mount+Orab,+OH&fb=1&view=text&latlng=39016107,-83924304,13708120476826796726&dtab=2&reviews=1&oi=more_rev&sa=X&ei=0x3oR573F5HOqgLC0pWTBA
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/25 01:06:35 (permalink)
TJ, what's going on with Pizzaville these days? Is he still open? My daughter was home sick much of last week and wanted a PARTICULAR flavor of Gatorade. I stopped at Bigg's on the way home, then hit Kroger's, striking out in both places. As I went from Bigg's to the Anderson Kroger I took a peek in the direction of Pizzaville and it looked deserted. (I couldn't slow down because I had some 6am jackass on my bumper.) My wife and daughter may leave town for a couple of days next week for spring break, and Pizzaville was one of the places that I thought I might take my son for dinner if we're bachelor living.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/25 01:19:59 (permalink)
Pizzaville - I guess my reply email did not make it to you.

There is a sign in the window about remodeling and coming back with delivery available. No date mentioned, as best I recall when I pulled over to look a few weeks back. I hope he is OK.

I will monitor and let you know.
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/25 05:54:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Pizzaville - I guess my reply email did not make it to you.

There is a sign in the window about remodeling and coming back with delivery available. No date mentioned, as best I recall when I pulled over to look a few weeks back. I hope he is OK.

I will monitor and let you know.

No, it's there. I just don't check that account very often. I don't even remember sending the e-mail. I'm slipping.
Guess that means we'll do the bachelor thing out at the new place in Florence. (Bourbon's?)
vudutu
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/25 15:04:08 (permalink)
Check with Bob down at Eckerlins in Findlay market

http://www.findlaymarket.org/

Lukens, also at Findlay, for fish has been pretty good the last couple of years. There is a killer place in Madeira and in Hyde park/Oakley area on Edwards road near the Wine store, both are pricy.

quote:
Originally posted by Slogun

I am looking for a good butcher in the area. I am specifically looking for piedmontese beef. I am in the loveland-Mason area if anyone could help that would be great.

While I am at it I am also looking for a good fish monger.

Thanks,

Slogun
Slogun
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/25 22:42:11 (permalink)
I went to Moe's (Burrito Place) I wasn't really thinking that it was going to be anything special, but to my surprise I actually prefer it to Chipotle. Staff was friendly and quick and the steak was more flavorful than it is at Chipotle. I am fairly fresh out of college so I have eaten a burrito or 2 at places like Panchero's, Baja Fresh, and chipotle.(pretty sure the 2 former are not in the cinci area) I still have to try their carnitas and barbacoa before I can make a completely informed decision but the first burrito I had was excellent.

While on the subject of Mexican I went to Taqueria Maya for the second time last week. Excellent

I had the pork Torta and GF(100% Mexican heritage) had the 3 tacos meal with azada and cilantro.

The pork torta was huge. For those who don't know a torta is a mexican sandwich on a crusty bun. Although this bun wasn't that crusty the pork was execellent.

I had the Tacos the last time I was there. and they are great. I get them the traditional way azada con cilantro y cebollas(steak with cilantro and onions). They were outstanding. By far the best and most authentic mexican place I have been to in cinci. Anybody looking for really good mexican food should go here.

Caveat: this is not Chi Chi's. The waitress might not speak the best english and most the customers don't speak any! and thats what makes it great.

Slogun

vudutu
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/26 12:42:01 (permalink)
Slogun, I am always out gunning for good Mex around here but have never found it, I found one review but it is not good...

http://rodeo.cincinnati.com/ent2/entity.aspx?e=180732

"Taqueria Maya is far from authentic...they are over priced and the portions are small. If you want authentic mexican food...and FANTASTIC margaritas...you need to check out Palacio Azteca in Mason. Best in Cincinnati by a land slide."

They do mention Palacio Azteca also in Mason. Have you tried it?

quote:

Taqueria Maya for the second time last week. Excellent

I had the pork Torta and GF(100% Mexican heritage) had the 3 tacos meal with azada and cilantro.

The pork torta was huge. For those who don't know a torta is a mexican sandwich on a crusty bun. Although this bun wasn't that crusty the pork was execellent.

I had the Tacos the last time I was there. and they are great. I get them the traditional way azada con cilantro y cebollas(steak with cilantro and onions). They were outstanding. By far the best and most authentic mexican place I have been to in cinci. Anybody looking for really good mexican food should go here.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/26 13:19:22 (permalink)
Our lunchbunch has been to Taqueria Maya a few months ago and we enjoyed it very much and found it to be very authentic Mexican food, right down to the wonderful horchata. franklee put a review here a few pages back (you can find it via search feature I believe.) The service was good and we had a delightful young Mexican waitress who understood and spoke English quite well.

If you enjoy great schnecken there is a wonderful new bakery in Cheviot - their schnecken is simply fantastic - it puts Virginia Bakery's to shame - they are basically a German style bakery:

These are the owners:

http://his3yw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pQYc-RhBczRBm0mlKfXerP9Mo-_GQ3m6oNI5zGe57sxx1rI97xyvljQJbi7pzhsyvpoVGk9oxRLVyx3LdSMDbaQ?PARTNER=WRITER

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/foodie/2008/01/good-baked-goods.asp

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Good Baked Goods

I'm pretty much OD'd on cookies, fudge, strudel, stollen, schnecken, toffee, peppermint ice cream, fruitcake. . . . .. and all the other holiday treats I've sent happily down the hatch in the last month or so.

Still. . . . when I hear of someone opening a new bakery, I feel I should check it out. Especially when described as homemade European pastries. On the west side.

Taber Bakery is a dream project of a young couple, Jeff and Jenny Taber. They're clearly starting on a shoestring, with a simply decorated storefront at North Bend and Harrison (next to the gun store). You might not give it a second look if you drove by. Jeff's the baker, and he makes real Danish pastry, in the form of breakfast Danishes, bear claws, and his own version of schnecken. It's buttery and rich. The schnecken is like "Cincinnati" schnecken, in that it's three cinnamon rolls baked in a loaf, but it's not the butter-soaked bread-like style of the Virginia Bakery. It's much more layered, with lots and lots of crunchy sugar between the layers.

And--are you from Buffalo? On Tuesdays, they have kummelweck, the coarse salt and caraway-sprinkled rolls necessary for beef on weck. I don't know what's authentic here, but I ran it past a Buffaloan I know, and he said they were right. . . . Delicious homemade rolls, in any case.
3408 Harrison Ave., Cheviot, 513-661-BAKE.
posted by Polly Campbell at 12:31 PM

4 Comments:

at 2:14 PM Mary said...
Good for them. I hope that they do well. I just can't see myself schlepping to the Westside for baked goods when I have Frieda's in Madeira, but hopefully they will have enough of a clientelle on that side of town. Like Marge Schott used to say after she spent 30+ years reviewing car loan applications, "The Westside has the money, the Eastside has the bills."

at 12:14 AM Ryan Detzel said...
Holy Fresh Baked Schnecken Batman! That's right down the street from my house.

I'll have to check it out...you know, for the purpose of research. Someone's gotta do it.

at 3:49 PM Anonymous said...
Hey Polly -- Totally off topic question, but will you review Rue Dumaine in Dayton? I know it's technically outside of the Enquirer's normal area, but Chuck Martin did profile the chef and Anne Kearney probably has enough of a name that she could draw plenty of people from Cincy.

at 12:39 PM Anonymous said...
I have been to the Taber Bakery. Their Schnecken and Bienenstich (Bee Sting pastry) are out of this world, as well as their Thursday special, Multi-grain Sourdough bread. The owners are a delightfu
Slogun
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/26 20:44:38 (permalink)
palacio azteca,

I drove past it once and it appeared to be closed. I just put in a phone call to them and the number seems to be disconnected. I will swing by there soon to make sure but I am nearly positive they are closed.

As far as the negative reviews about taqueria maya go, I can see someone having issues with the service, but not the authenticity. In my opinion the best way to know if a Mexican restaurant is authentic is to look at the clientele. I see lots of Mexicans there and to be honest not very many other places in Mason. Give it a try its worth the trip.
sZekelyZoo
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/27 08:34:45 (permalink)
[Re: Amor de Brazil
I'm stealing this straight from the Cincinnati Foodie Blog - they closed for good as of March 11. Cincinnati has one Churruscaria left - Boi Na Braza in the Carew Tower. Guess I will have to get over there soon before this lousy economy takes them down too

Does anyone know why they closed? I was completely bummed. We have friends coming from outta town and we were all going there. My husband had been there twice and another friend and LOVED it.....I was so excited to go. I kept calling to make reservations and the phone just rang and rang, no answer. I asked my hubby "do you think they closed" and he said "there is no way". Well I decided to swing by yesterday and it was pitch black....sign on door "Sorry for the Inconvenience We have closed operations effective immediately It has been our pleasure serving you for the past 2 years" Well....I am dying to know what happen to this place....they were always busy!!!????
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/27 08:57:44 (permalink)
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/stories/2008/03/17/daily43.html?surround=lfn
Thursday March 20, 2008
The Amor Fiery Steakhouse de Brazil in Mason abruptly closed March 14.

A sign on the door of the former Copeland's restaurant on Merten Drive said it would end operations effective immediately. Franchisor Al Copeland International, a New Orleans restaurateur, has not indicated whether it would reopen.

Amor de Brazil is a chain of Brazilian-style churrascarias. Its Web site, www.amordebrazil.com, now lists only one restaurant location in Overland Park, Kan.

Public relations agency Justice & Young was surprised at the news. The firm had just earned the steakhouse as a client March 4 and had met with the general manager as recently as March 12 to discuss plans for a large event.

"I have put the word out to corporate, but haven't heard a response," said account executive Jeff Drum. He said there was some discussion about the restaurant's inability to renew its lease for the property.

Amor was the first Brazilian churrascaria to open in the Greater Cincinnati area in 2006. Its standard menu offered 15 varieties of seasoned grilled meat and a wide spread of salads, cheeses and wines.

Another chain, Boi Na Braza, operates a churrascaria restaurant in downtown Cincinnati.
TFitz
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 63
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/27 09:19:00 (permalink)
Perhaps the restaurant closed because the owner of the franchise passed away (see NYT headline below) and link to obituary.
Al Copeland, a Restaurateur Known for Spice and Speed, Dies at 64
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/25/business/25copeland.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=al+copeland&st=nyt&oref=slogin
vudutu
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/27 09:23:38 (permalink)
quote:

Like Marge Schott used to say after she spent 30+ years reviewing car loan applications, "The Westside has the money, the Eastside has the bills."

ROFLOL I love this quote
vudutu
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/27 09:26:46 (permalink)
quote:

palacio azteca,

I drove past it once and it appeared to be closed. I just put in a phone call to them and the number seems to be disconnected. I will swing by there soon to make sure but I am nearly positive they are closed.

As far as the negative reviews about taqueria maya go, I can see someone having issues with the service, but not the authenticity. In my opinion the best way to know if a Mexican restaurant is authentic is to look at the clientele. I see lots of Mexicans there and to be honest not very many other places in Mason. Give it a try its worth the trip.

Thanks, I don't get up that way much but will try and make it by. FYI the best I can find down here is the little place in Newport, the name escapes me right now.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/27 09:41:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by vudutu

quote:

palacio azteca,

Thanks, I don't get up that way much but will try and make it by. FYI the best I can find down here is the little place in Newport, the name escapes me right now.
I know the one - La Mexicana Grocery and Taqueria - at 642 Monmouth Street, - has goat meat and an attached grocery store in the back, with entrances from Monmouth Street and the back parking lot - tons of chorizo in the meat case:

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2002/03/20/tem_memories_of_mexico.html
dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 250
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/27 09:48:36 (permalink)
Much to our surprise, the Ben & Jerry's in Clifton will close on March 31. We took my wife's family for dessert yesterday, and the entry sign said something to the effect of "get ice cream while you can." The manager blamed it on both the landlord and the economy, and said they have no plans to reopen or relocate at this time. Sad news for us, as we prefer them to Graeter's. I still haven't recovered from the Haagen-Dazs in Kenwood closing several years ago, either.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 539
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/27 20:28:40 (permalink)
I too drove by Amor and saw that sign. I've not been to the downtown Brazilian place, but the online menu indicated some of the meats that we like at Amor are not available there (Parmesan pork, bacon-wrapped filet). Has anyone been to the downtown restaurant (I looked briefly through here and didn't see anyone's comments).

So we're thinking about trying this place in the Dayton Mall: http://www.cenarestaurant.com/

Has anyone tried it yet? I saw a couple of reviews, which were positive, and it did have both of those meats we like. Plus the price was about $28 each, vs. $45 at Amor.
soozycue520
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1032
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/27 21:16:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bonk

Has anyone been to the downtown restaurant (I looked briefly through here and didn't see anyone's comments).

Re: Boi Na Braza ~ Read the review here from 3/16/08.

http://rodeo.cincinnati.com/f2/dining/details.aspx?siteid=0&id=10806&lid=10937&cID=2

The one star review is the same that I got from a friend and her son. They thought most of the meat was tasteless, and they hardly ever saw the beef guys. On the hot side buffet was mashed potatoes, white rice and one hot veg. On the salad bar was lettuce and cold asparagus, but not much to put on the lettuce. She claimed she liked Golden Corral better, and it didn't cost $44. I haven't been, so this is all hearsay, but when I showed her the review from the above link, she was glad she was not alone in her opinion.
Page: << < ..4142434445.. > >> Showing page 44 of 111
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1