AnsweredHot!WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Page: << < ..4142434445.. > >> Showing page 45 of 110
Author
sZekelyZoo
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/27 21:40:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bonk

I too drove by Amor and saw that sign. I've not been to the downtown Brazilian place, but the online menu indicated some of the meats that we like at Amor are not available there (Parmesan pork, bacon-wrapped filet). Has anyone been to the downtown restaurant (I looked briefly through here and didn't see anyone's comments).

So we're thinking about trying this place in the Dayton Mall: http://www.cenarestaurant.com/

Has anyone tried it yet? I saw a couple of reviews, which were positive, and it did have both of those meats we like. Plus the price was about $28 each, vs. $45 at Amor.

well I have booked reservations for tomorrow (Friday) evening. So I will let you know what I thought....and share what my husband thinks too because he went to Amor a few times before where I never had been.
If you go to the place in Dayton Mall please let me know what you think as well!
Thanks
franklee
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 64
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/28 01:14:20 (permalink)
Country Inn, Route 68 in Mount Orab, was this week's Lunchbunch target. I wasn't excited at the prospect (Bob's turn to choose) but it wound up quite satisfyingly, if I do say so, in large part because of the uninterrupted flow of 50s & 60s rock bounced from a satellite way up yonder. Their specialty apparently is fried chicken which Bob adores and which I (again - disappointedly) find "good," but can't hold a candle to southern fried. Their Vegetable soup was excellent, however (I had two bowls from the soup and salad bar). Their mushroom hoagie turned out quite good and would have been better had the bun been less doughy. Blackberry cobbler was also doughy; the butterscotch pie was excellent. I got burned out on Cincinnati-style chili 10 years ago and had not tried it again until the Country Inn where they use it on their chili cheese fries which were superb (but don't take the leftovers home - they don't resurrect). The service is decent; the personnel are personable. Not super wheelchair accessible, but did accommodate my three wheeler. Not excellent but definitely decent.
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/28 03:01:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by vudutu

quote:
Originally posted by Slogun

palacio azteca,

I drove past it once and it appeared to be closed. I just put in a phone call to them and the number seems to be disconnected. I will swing by there soon to make sure but I am nearly positive they are closed.

As far as the negative reviews about taqueria maya go, I can see someone having issues with the service, but not the authenticity. In my opinion the best way to know if a Mexican restaurant is authentic is to look at the clientele. I see lots of Mexicans there and to be honest not very many other places in Mason. Give it a try its worth the trip.

Thanks, I don't get up that way much but will try and make it by. FYI the best I can find down here is the little place in Newport, the name escapes me right now.

Rio Grande? Or one of the others on 7th, 12th or Monmouth? The one on 12th is supposed to be Guatemalan, (pardon my spelling?), but I've never heard of anyone eating there.
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/28 03:04:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by NYPIzzaNut

quote:
Originally posted by vudutu

quote:
Originally posted by Slogun

palacio azteca,

I drove past it once and it appeared to be closed. I just put in a phone call to them and the number seems to be disconnected. I will swing by there soon to make sure but I am nearly positive they are closed.

As far as the negative reviews about taqueria maya go, I can see someone having issues with the service, but not the authenticity. In my opinion the best way to know if a Mexican restaurant is authentic is to look at the clientele. I see lots of Mexicans there and to be honest not very many other places in Mason. Give it a try its worth the trip.

Thanks, I don't get up that way much but will try and make it by. FYI the best I can find down here is the little place in Newport, the name escapes me right now.
I know the one - La Mexicana Grocery and Taqueria - at 642 Monmouth Street, - has goat meat and an attached grocery store in the back, with entrances from Monmouth Street and the back parking lot - tons of chorizo in the meat case:

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2002/03/20/tem_memories_of_mexico.html

That's the Monmouth one I spoke of. I need to give that a try next week when the kids are on spring break.
franklee
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/28 10:22:49 (permalink)
Le Mexicano's goat meat is to good goat meat what pond-raised catfish are to wild catfish; it's pretty tasteless... I've had goat burritos from there at least 3 times.. wouldn't have known I's eating goat if they hadn't reassured me... still, in a day and time when meat is becoming more and more tasteless... the goat rises above the mediocre crowd.
franklee
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/28 10:23:58 (permalink)
ooops! La Mexicana!
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 535
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/28 16:22:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by sZekelyZoo

quote:

I too drove by Amor and saw that sign. I've not been to the downtown Brazilian place, but the online menu indicated some of the meats that we like at Amor are not available there (Parmesan pork, bacon-wrapped filet). Has anyone been to the downtown restaurant (I looked briefly through here and didn't see anyone's comments).

So we're thinking about trying this place in the Dayton Mall: http://www.cenarestaurant.com/

Has anyone tried it yet? I saw a couple of reviews, which were positive, and it did have both of those meats we like. Plus the price was about $28 each, vs. $45 at Amor.

well I have booked reservations for tomorrow (Friday) evening. So I will let you know what I thought....and share what my husband thinks too because he went to Amor a few times before where I never had been.
If you go to the place in Dayton Mall please let me know what you think as well!
Thanks

Yes, I'm very curious what you and your husband think, especially since he's been to Amor.

We'll probably make the Cena trip in the next month or so, and I'll definitely post our thoughts.
soozycue520
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1031
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/28 19:31:17 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by sZekelyZoo

quote:

Thanks

Yes, I'm very curious what you and your husband think, especially since he's been to Amor.

We'll probably make the Cena trip in the next month or so, and I'll definitely post our thoughts.

Please report back on Cena. At $28, it may be worth a trip north.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/28 20:57:43 (permalink)
You Portabello's fans will be saddened to hear what's going in its place. A Little Caesar's.

This has been a bad Roadfood month for me.
sZekelyZoo
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/29 17:11:55 (permalink)
Well we went to Boi Na Braza last night. My girlfriend and I really enjoyed it and so did the 10 other people that went with us.....My husband and his friend had been to Amor. So they said it was good....but they miss the shrimp and sushi. Plus they missed parm crusted chicken that Amor had. But they both really enjoyed the rest of the meats.
My personal favorite was the bottom sirlon and the house meat. The filet and filet mignon wrapped in bacon were delicious as well. They had only one meat most of us didn't care for and that was the pork ribs, they were pretty tasteless.
As for the salad bar area there were plenty of items to pick from. On one side was mashed potatoes, some type of mushrooms (delicious), rice, beans, and 2 other items(sorry can't remember). Another side was different salad; fruit, pasta, tuna, something else, and pieces of heart of palm (which tasted pretty good). Then another side has; bottom of artichoke with something in the middle, mozzarella balls (which were GREAT), asparagus (HUGE), marinated artichokes, and ceasar salad. Then before the other side there were things to spinkle on your salad; fried garlic (yummy), cherry tomatoes, croutons, bacon, and some other things. Then the last side had a bunch of things to make a pretty good salad! So I was very impressed with the salad bar. Now my hubby's friend liked it that he could go back up to the bar and get more mashed potatoes instead of waiting for someone to bring them to him.
We had to flip our card over many times because the guys were coming so fast with the meats!!! Our plates were full in mintues! The desserts were fabulous....a big selection! Pop was $2.50 per glass (no free refills). Desserts were not included in the main price of $47.50/person. We all got our moneys worth!!! We never ate breakfast.....actually we didn't eat again until 1 o'clock today :)
All in all.....we had a wonderful experience at Boi Na Braza. There were some differences from Amor but that is the way it is with most restuarants! I would recommend Boi Na Braza to anyone that has a BIG appetite :)
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/30 00:11:24 (permalink)
quote:

You Portabello's fans will be saddened to hear what's going in its place. A Little Caesar's.

I thought those only showed up in K-Mart food courts these days.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/30 16:23:50 (permalink)
Yeah, me too. ;)

Well, there and Detroit. They actually serve Little Caesar's pizza and Kroger brand hot dogs at Joe Louis Arena. Awful selection.

sZekely - Glad to hear the Boi Na Braza trip worked out. I think we're going to try the Dayton one first, but hopefully the bad experience some people had were isolated incidents.
Juju Bellies
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/30 20:38:35 (permalink)
Does anyone know where you can find crusty chewy Jewish rye bread like you find in NYC/Yonkers bakeries? I have had no luck in greater Cinci and I have lived here since 1977.

Have you ever tried the NY-style Rye at Dorothy Lane Market? I can't vouch for the taste or authenticity, but noticed it today while perusing their bakery dept and thought of you (I've been lurking since page 30). The crust looked like it had some chew to it without being too "crusty".
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3146
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/30 23:06:02 (permalink)
I tried it a while back but it was not nearly as crusty nor chewy as NY Jewish rye - it was pretty similar to the tasteless bland rye bread you find all over southern OH, maybe just a little better.
Ghaz
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 83
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/30 23:58:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Wallyum

quote:

They're starting to come back into the area after exiting several years ago. One of the first to open is in Erlanger next to the O'Reily's Auto Parts on Dixie Highway. It's been there since late last summer.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/31 00:02:28 (permalink)
Sort of like with the IHOPs. Only now their food is not nearly as good.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/31 08:36:16 (permalink)
Little Caesar's won't have that problem...their food was never good.
westsider12
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 131
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/31 08:58:34 (permalink)
quote:

My brother and I loved Little Caesar's growing up because we each could eat our own pizza. Then again we were so hungry as teenagers they could have put the sauce and cheese directly on the box and we might not have noticed the difference...
Slogun
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/31 10:43:16 (permalink)
quote:
quote:

quote:
Yeah, me too. ;)

Well, there and Detroit. They actually serve Little Caesar's pizza and Kroger brand hot dogs at Joe Louis Arena. Awful selection.

Mike Illitch owns Little ceasars and also happens to own the Red Wings. He also owns the Tigers(they serve little ceasars there too.) oddly enough he bought the tigers from Tom Monaghan who is the owner of Domino's Pizza.

I am new to the area and moved from metro detroit and I was just commenting to a friend that there are no little ceasars here. There is only one redeeming quality about little ceasars and that is th $5 hot and ready. It may not taste god but when I was in college it was the greatest thing ever. You can walk in get a pepperoni pizza without waiting for 5 bucks? sold.
sZekelyZoo
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/31 10:58:25 (permalink)
Let me just say that LC's breadsticks were the BOMB
jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1188
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/31 11:42:59 (permalink)
quote:

Oh. My. Lord.

I used to work next to one of those. A co-worker called it "Little Seizure's."
dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 249
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/31 15:01:40 (permalink)
Habanero is opening a second location, taking over the spot that Moe's Southwest Grill is about to vacate at Newport on the Levee. I really hope it works out for them.
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/04/01 00:14:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by westsider12

quote:

Then again we were so hungry as teenagers they could have put the sauce and cheese directly on the box and we might not have noticed the difference...

Shhh. You'll give away the secret recipe.
franklee
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/04/01 00:30:10 (permalink)
my week to choose for the lunchbunch... any good ideas for an "interesting" restaurant/cafe/joint in the cincinnati area? Downtown Cincinnati and the Levee are exempted. thanx

Ghaz
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 83
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/04/02 10:40:16 (permalink)
The Enquirer is reporting that Pike Street Press will close it's doors at 4 p.m. Saturday.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20080402/NEWS0103/304020034/
soozycue520
  • Total Posts : 1031
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/04/02 16:33:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by franklee

my week to choose for the lunchbunch... any good ideas for an "interesting" restaurant/cafe/joint in the cincinnati area? Downtown Cincinnati and the Levee are exempted. thanx

Not downtown, or Newport. Have you been to Ludlow Ave. in Clifton? There are a couple of good restaurants. Olives at the Ludlow Garage has changed their lunch menu, but still has some interesting stuff. Get the mushroom artichoke appetizer. Biagio's Bistro is good, and different. If you order pasta, they cook on hot plates in the dining room, but I like the Italian Sub. Maybe not NY authentic, but VERY good. You get your choice of soup or salad, and they are all good.

And there is Dewey's Pizza, Skyline & Graeter's if anyone wants carry out/take home stuff. Lots of unique/interesting shopping, as well.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/04/06 17:00:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by soozycue520

quote:
Originally posted by franklee

Not downtown, or Newport. Have you been to Ludlow Ave. in Clifton? There are a couple of good restaurants. Olives at the Ludlow Garage has changed their lunch menu, but still has some interesting stuff. Get the mushroom artichoke appetizer. Biagio's Bistro is good, and different. If you order pasta, they cook on hot plates in the dining room, but I like the Italian Sub. Maybe not NY authentic, but VERY good. You get your choice of soup or salad, and they are all good.

And there is Dewey's Pizza, Skyline & Graeter's if anyone wants carry out/take home stuff. Lots of unique/interesting shopping, as well.
Our lunchbunch went to Troni's Pizza and Restaurant in Kettering this past Thursday, along with my spouse, to celebrate her birthday. We had three pizzas:

Troni's Sicilian pizza with banana peppers and sausage - before being devoured. One of the finest pizzas I have had in Ohio in over 30 years:

The other two pizzas shown below are their regular pie (with green peppers and mushrooms):

..and their Old Fashioned Pizza which comes with 3 cheeses (Provolone, Romano and Mozzarella and Old Fashion Sauce which is a little spicy and has chunks of tomato with the sauce) - this one has pepperoni and sausage:

These two pies were excellent - while I prefer cheese pies I deferred to the other members to include toppings.

My wife and I went 90 miles each way to enjoy Troni's pizzas - none better in the area!

We also had a fine antipasto salad, great little garlic rolls with olive oil, and parsley, delicious Pasta Fagioli soup and exceptional Tiramisu and Cannolis for desert.

This Albanian family has two additional family members - 2 younger sons - who were doing the waiter/bussing work - the youngest, Harlen - who served us - speaks perfect unaccented English! His sister - who served us on our past visit on March 6 - was working in the kitchen during this visit - the place was really packed during this outing - they are becoming better known apparently.

This is Harlen serving up our Old Fashioned Pizza, with yours truly looking on:

This is a masterful collage of photos taken during our March 6 visit, created by my esteemed lunchbunch cohort franklee, depicting our waitress (the owner's daughter) with our lunchbunch group impressed on the bag and preparing our takeout and doggy bags for us:

(Note Troni's is in Kettering - not Beavercreek - some internet sites show them in the latter town in error.)

Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/04/07 19:49:42 (permalink)
Finally got to BJ's in Tri-County Mall Saturday. We were very impressed.

The whole thing started a little weird though -- we made the mistake of coming in hungry at 6:30, right after the Final Four game had started, so it was beyond packed. They said it would be an hour and a half wait, which was understandable considering. So we took the beeper thing and looked for a seat at the bar, which wasn't happening.

After less than five minutes, our beeper went off, to our delight.

We had the mozzarella sticks, which were delicious. They were topped with parmesan and served with a very garlicky marinera, which is the way I like it. They gave us 10 for $6.

I got a small pepperoni pizza and couldn't finish it. The crust itself was incredible. It was buttery and light. Cheese was abundant and delicious, sauce was outstanding. They call it deep dish but it's not a traditional deep dish. More like what Pizza Hut calls "pan".

My gf got the balsamic chicken, and she said it was excellent. I tried one piece of her chicken, and it was almost as good as steak. She finished about half of it.

I really liked the beer, too, but I almost always like microbrewed beer, and that's for another board. Bill was $45 (I had three beers at $4.75 a pop), and service was also good, so I tipped $10.

We can't wait to go back.
Slogun
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/04/11 17:49:16 (permalink)
Wild Ginger Asian Bistro:

Went to lunch here today. Food was very good and priced reasonably. I had a dish called mi xao which i had never seen on a menu before. It was thin rice noodles with lots of vegetables in it. It was very good and too much to finish at $5.99. GF has the Pad see Iew a thai classic and it was also good. I did some research and apparently this place has the same owner as Lemon Grass which is about 300 yards away. Seems crazy to have to restaurants that close. We had actually planned on going to Lemongrass but couldn't
find convenient parking so we tried the Wild Ginger. Glad we tried it as it has more selections than Lemon Grass(not just thai food.) and If I had been in the mood they also have a sushi bar.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/04/11 18:12:27 (permalink)
Our lunchbunch stopped at Fratelli's Pizzeria in West Chester at 5:30 PM last night and picked up a large cheese pie to take home - we had a slice in the parking lot - it was awful - the crust is terrible and they don't put enough cheese or sauce on the pie and the pie was full of large air bubbles (they open at 4 PM so their overs should have been ready to bake pizza by the time we got there.)

The pie heats up really dry and tasteless.

We had lunch down the road at WG Grinders ( a truly forgettable experience ).
Page: << < ..4142434445.. > >> Showing page 45 of 110
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1