AnsweredHot!WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Page: << < ..5152535455.. > >> Showing page 55 of 110
Author
dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 249
  • Joined: 2006/11/15 11:21:00
  • Location: Cincinnati, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/27 07:48:41 (permalink)
quote:
As far as red beans and rice I think the only better is to be found at New Orleans to Go (north of Tri County Shopping Center) which is open again - I just spoke to the owner's dad - he is up from New Orleans and running the place while she is on sick leave - she is 4 1/2 months pregnant and needs her rest so comes in only part time to be sure things are going OK (and to aggravate the staff lol according to her dad) ...gottta get back out there...


We were at NOTG for lunch a couple of weeks ago and met him. I need to get my wife in there to meet him, as she can talk Louisiana a lot better than I can. I have had their red beans and rice as well, and they are very good.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3146
  • Joined: 2008/03/08 11:02:00
  • Location: Sardinia, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/27 11:41:12 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by dlawson

quote:
As far as red beans and rice I think the only better is to be found at New Orleans to Go (north of Tri County Shopping Center) which is open again - I just spoke to the owner's dad - he is up from New Orleans and running the place while she is on sick leave - she is 4 1/2 months pregnant and needs her rest so comes in only part time to be sure things are going OK (and to aggravate the staff lol according to her dad) ...gottta get back out there...


We were at NOTG for lunch a couple of weeks ago and met him. I need to get my wife in there to meet him, as she can talk Louisiana a lot better than I can. I have had their red beans and rice as well, and they are very good.
Most everything they have on the menu is good - I especially love their oyster po' boys.
franklee
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 64
  • Joined: 2007/05/02 14:52:00
  • Location: cincinnati, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/27 13:02:56 (permalink)
seafood chowder at NO to GO... that's theticket... nothing like it anywhere else i've been... and i've eaten sheep's testicles in lexington.... anybody know where that huge diner is in KY.. mebbe I-64... featured on diners/drive-ins/dives? former gas station...?
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 535
  • Joined: 2007/05/30 19:17:00
  • Location: Cincinnati, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/27 16:56:29 (permalink)
Saw a Thai place is opening in the strip mall across from the McDonald's just south of Ohio 32 in the Eastgate area. Kind of near Rhino's.

Didn't catch the name of the place, but a sign in the window said it opens Saturday. Or was it Sunday?

Well, this weekend for sure.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3146
  • Joined: 2008/03/08 11:02:00
  • Location: Sardinia, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/27 17:09:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bonk

Saw a Thai place is opening in the strip mall across from the McDonald's just south of Ohio 32 in the Eastgate area. Kind of near Rhino's.

Didn't catch the name of the place, but a sign in the window said it opens Saturday. Or was it Sunday?

Well, this weekend for sure.
There is a Ban Thai restaurant in the strip mall across from McDonalds that has been there for years - another is opening right there?
soozycue520
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1032
  • Joined: 2006/06/16 00:00:00
  • Location: Cincinnati, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/27 17:47:05 (permalink)
I have been to a few noteworthy places to eat recently that I'd like to report on.

The best of the bunch was Otto's in Covington, KY. The ambience, service and food were all excellent. We started with fried green tomatoes and brie with raspberry sauce as appetizers. The tomatoes were fried perfectly & not greasy at all. The brie was served with some excellent bread. I had shrimp with a grit cake & greens, while my friends had pork tenderloin with a goat cheese stuffed apple, and filet mignon with bleu cheese bacon cream sauce. Everything was top notch and I highly recommend it.
http://www.mainstrasse.org/ottos.html


Tostado's in the East End, across the street from the Precinct, was our destination this past Saturday. The name suggests Mexican, which they serve, but they also serve German, Italian and American fare. I am suspect when a place serves so many different kinds of foods, because I wonder how they can do them all well. My suspicions were mostly right. It was not bad at all, just not stellar. The ambience here is upscale bar/restaurant. The decor is very nice. Not what I expected from the outside. We started with beef nachos, which were very good. I had the enchilada combo {one each - chicken, beef & cheese}. It was good, but came with beans that were not refried & rice pilaf .My friend enjoyed her fried cod sandwich & sauteed veggies. If you need to satisfy alot of different tastes, this would be the place to go.
http://www.tostadosgrill.com/


I went to Arthur's yesterday with my daughter for Burger Madness. I had never had their burger before. It was a very good, hand-pattied, cooked to order burger. The only complaint I had was it tasted like they didn't season it before cooking. Definitely worth $7.00, on Sunday, Monday & Tuesday. We took pictures on my daughter's cell phone, but they turned out real dark.
http://rodeo.cincinnati.com/ent2/entity.aspx?e=181529


Also, went to Montgomery Inn the other day, because my cousin, who has only lived in town for @ a year wanted to try it. Everyone keeps asking her if she's tried it, so we went to the Boathouse the other day for a late lunch. She was not impressed. I have pics that I thought I would post somewhere for people who are curious about Cincy's most famous "BBQ" {not}. I really do like their choice of sides. It's not all bad, it's just not bbq.
http://www.montgomeryinn.com/



Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 535
  • Joined: 2007/05/30 19:17:00
  • Location: Cincinnati, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/27 18:55:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by NYPIzzaNut

quote:
Originally posted by Bonk

Saw a Thai place is opening in the strip mall across from the McDonald's just south of Ohio 32 in the Eastgate area. Kind of near Rhino's.

Didn't catch the name of the place, but a sign in the window said it opens Saturday. Or was it Sunday?

Well, this weekend for sure.
There is a Ban Thai restaurant in the strip mall across from McDonalds that has been there for years - another is opening right there?


Hmmm...I don't ever remember seeing it there, and I don't normally take that road. I guess I'm not sure. The big sign stuck out.
jjjrfoodie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 422
  • Joined: 2006/04/05 16:19:00
  • Location: Cincinnati, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/27 20:34:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by soozycue520

I have been to a few noteworthy places to eat recently that I'd like to report on.


Tostado's in the East End, across the street from the Precinct, was our destination this past Saturday. The name suggests Mexican, which they serve, but they also serve German, Italian and American fare. I am suspect when a place serves so many different kinds of foods, because I wonder how they can do them all well. My suspicions were mostly right. It was not bad at all, just not stellar. The ambience here is upscale bar/restaurant. The decor is very nice. Not what I expected from the outside. We started with beef nachos, which were very good. I had the enchilada combo {one each - chicken, beef & cheese}. It was good, but came with beans that were not refried & rice pilaf .My friend enjoyed her fried cod sandwich & sauteed veggies. If you need to satisfy alot of different tastes, this would be the place to go.
http://www.tostadosgrill.com/





Tostados is the for Kreimer's East facility. They still have a true German type place at Kreimer's west on Rt. 128 in Miamitown, but this one went Mexican...kinda. Still has the throwback from the German days but with other mixes. It's competing with Allan's Cafe across the street which is the same idea-- global dining. Kreimer's/Tostado's big draw is the Karaoke crowd 7 days a week. Not foodies per se' really.

I had a go at Mirabelle's burger madness days last week over on Eastern Ave. Not great but not bad. Below Terry's Turf Club and Aurthur's, but still a good meal for the price.


jjjrfoodie

jmckee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1188
  • Joined: 2001/11/26 12:24:00
  • Location: Batavia, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/28 12:04:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

quote:
Originally posted by soozycue520

I drove through Newtown today. If you are going east on RT. 32 from Beechmont Ave., it is on your right just as you go into Newtown. It is past the driving range. The sign said "32 BBQ". It had signs for ice cream. I saw no smoke, but I didn't stop.

I made two stops today - first at the Newtown Farmer's market after my daughter's soccer team annihilated the other team 12-1, and the second at 32 BBQ. Never mind that my daughter gave up the single goal to the other team :-) She had a blast, and a lot of playing time. Her coach does a good job ensuring all players play and rotating them through different positions.

First, the farmer's market, which is almost directly across from the soccer fields. Great produce, good prices. Daughter loved the parrots and was absolutely delighted that she was able to get one of them (Holly) to say hello to her. As a reward for her excellent play as the third quarter goalie (taking a kick to the hand and still saving the goal) I bought her a vanilla frozen custard cone, and she immediately noted how much it was different from regular soft serve ice cream. I have some roadfood hope for her! :-) I wish the chocolate and vanilla flavors were more apparent, but the texture was great. I particularly liked the "wall" of corn, and she picked us up 3 winners for dinner tonight. I was pleased with all the produce I saw.

Has anyone ever bought one of their paper-wrapped amish pies? Large selection, but hard to look at them due to their wrapping

(aside to jjr: they have a very small selection of spaghetti sauce there, but most were not ones I had seen before. Check it out if you are in the area)

Second, 32 BBQ. Most importantly, the BBQ sign is gone, and they are not doing BBQ anymore. They are now calling themselves "Corral 32". The menu consists of your basic hot dog, brat, and metts (like a roadside ice cream stand) but they also do a roast pork sandwich (5 bucks with slaw and chips) and a cuban. I ordered a sliced roast pork sandwich and chatted with the owner while we waited. They've been open about 2 months, and took the bbq of the menu when it did not sell well. He confirmed that they press the cuban sandwich, and it sounds fairly authentic (he has some cuban friends he tested it out on.). They have an extensive selection of flavors for their ice balls, which they call "snowies". When I got the sandwich home, I had easily 2/3 of a pound of juicy, somewhat salty (I'd guess they brine the pork roast to achieve some juiciness) slices but with a good mild flavor and very, very tender, on a good large bakery bun. I'll get the cuban next time, as that pork will do very well in a cuban sandwich. Very, very good.


Talked to Mr. Palmisano, the owner of the Newtown Farm Market last time I was in. He was VERY appreciative of the attention on this forum, and was delighted to know about Roadfood.com.

I've had the pies, Tom. They are very, very good. Go. Get one. Now. Glad to hear your girl's a roadfooder too -- the apple doth not fall far from the Jackson tree, it seems.

New parking lot BBQ place on Glen Este - Withamsville Road, north of 32 at the new Eastgate Station retail development. Called "Here Piggy Piggy," it's a guy with a trailer and a drum smoker. My son and I will try it soon.

Also, in that same development, Eric's Ice Cream (which is a nice little shop owned and operated by a former classmate of my son) is expanding and adding soups and sandwiches soon.
jmckee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1188
  • Joined: 2001/11/26 12:24:00
  • Location: Batavia, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/28 12:06:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by NYPIzzaNut

The pies are first class - on a par with the Mennonite pies available here in Brown County. Lard is what makes the difference.


Where in Brown County are you, out of curiosity?
brittneal
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1265
  • Joined: 2006/09/17 14:45:00
  • Location: fairborn, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/28 12:09:56 (permalink)
Help me here.
There were a couple joints on the Covington side of Cinnci. One was a Korean hibachi. It was AYCE. Started at a cold buffet with raw tnderloin, jumbo scallops, prawns, oysters and lamb plus tons of veggies and stuff. You went to your table with a charcoal hibachi in the center and grilled your own skewers. Also were various condoments and sauces on each table. I remember the review said it was around $17 per head.
Also there was like a food plex(Janes sticks in my mind) I think they had a disco, dance floors and varoius food gigs. I remember the review of the japanese style steak house. They had a hippy wise cracking chef who threw food every where. They were obviously well trained. Also several other trendy venues. Does anyone remember this place. Again somehow Jane something comes to mind.
britt
sudie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 234
  • Joined: 2003/09/17 12:10:00
  • Location: Cincinnati, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/28 12:21:07 (permalink)
Read an article in the paper this AM about a place in Milford called "The Yellow Rose of Texas" in Milford on 28 in the old Friendly's location. I'm really not that familiar with that area. It sounded as though they have a good BBQ menu...brisket, smoked turkey, etc. The owner put his retirement $ into this venture; hope he's not sorry. Will try to get there in the next few weeks, but do report if you get there sooner. Going to look for "Here Piggy, Piggy, too.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4596
  • Joined: 2003/07/26 22:24:00
  • Location: Cincinnati, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/28 13:29:40 (permalink)
Brittneal:

the korean place was most likely either Riverside Korean (http://www.cincinnati.com/freetime/dining/reviews/073004_riversidekorean_yum.html) which has no buffet I know of, or the much much larger Chung Kiwha in Florence (http://www.cincinnati.com/freetime/dining/reviews/110504_chungkiwha.html) which i think does do a buffet. I have not been into either one as yet.

The dining and entertainment "plex" that included a japanese hibachi grill was Jillian's (http://cincinnati.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/stories/2008/02/04/daily21.html)
jmckee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1188
  • Joined: 2001/11/26 12:24:00
  • Location: Batavia, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/28 15:20:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bonk

Saw a Thai place is opening in the strip mall across from the McDonald's just south of Ohio 32 in the Eastgate area. Kind of near Rhino's.

Didn't catch the name of the place, but a sign in the window said it opens Saturday. Or was it Sunday?

Well, this weekend for sure.


Ban Thai has been across the entrance drive from McDonald's for several years now. I've had it and like it.
jmckee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1188
  • Joined: 2001/11/26 12:24:00
  • Location: Batavia, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/28 15:21:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by sudie

Read an article in the paper this AM about a place in Milford called "The Yellow Rose of Texas" in Milford on 28 in the old Friendly's location. I'm really not that familiar with that area. It sounded as though they have a good BBQ menu...brisket, smoked turkey, etc. The owner put his retirement $ into this venture; hope he's not sorry. Will try to get there in the next few weeks, but do report if you get there sooner. Going to look for "Here Piggy, Piggy, too.


Here's info on Here Piggy Piggy, from an ad the proprietor placed on Craigslist:

"There is a new BBQ restaurant in town called "Here Piggy-Piggy BBQ." All the food is slow-smoked over a wood fire, and there are many options to chose from- chicken, pork, beef, there is something for everybody. We open at 11:30 am and don't close until we sell out of the food we cooked for the day. Our BBQ is based on the BBQ that has been made famous in Monroe County, Kentucky (featured on the Food Network.) The owner of the BBQ is from this area and has been working the grills and smokers since he was, in his words, "knee-high to a grasshopper." Stop on in on your lunch break, or bring the family home supper Monday through Saturday. We are located 1/4 mile on the right down glen este withemsville rd. across from chipotle off of st. rt. 132. Stop in today."
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 535
  • Joined: 2007/05/30 19:17:00
  • Location: Cincinnati, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/28 17:15:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jmckee

quote:
Originally posted by sudie

Read an article in the paper this AM about a place in Milford called "The Yellow Rose of Texas" in Milford on 28 in the old Friendly's location. I'm really not that familiar with that area. It sounded as though they have a good BBQ menu...brisket, smoked turkey, etc. The owner put his retirement $ into this venture; hope he's not sorry. Will try to get there in the next few weeks, but do report if you get there sooner. Going to look for "Here Piggy, Piggy, too.


Here's info on Here Piggy Piggy, from an ad the proprietor placed on Craigslist:

"There is a new BBQ restaurant in town called "Here Piggy-Piggy BBQ." All the food is slow-smoked over a wood fire, and there are many options to chose from- chicken, pork, beef, there is something for everybody. We open at 11:30 am and don't close until we sell out of the food we cooked for the day. Our BBQ is based on the BBQ that has been made famous in Monroe County, Kentucky (featured on the Food Network.) The owner of the BBQ is from this area and has been working the grills and smokers since he was, in his words, "knee-high to a grasshopper." Stop on in on your lunch break, or bring the family home supper Monday through Saturday. We are located 1/4 mile on the right down glen este withemsville rd. across from chipotle off of st. rt. 132. Stop in today."


That's the one, although it's off of 32, not 132. So it is open. Maybe we'll check that out on Saturday.

As for the Ban Thai, now that I know it's there, I'd like to give it a visit. I've just started getting into Thai food. Maybe it was closed for remodeling or something when I went past. It definitely wasn't open then.

Stop me if you've heard this one, but I drove past another place that's opening soon, and again I didn't catch the full name.

Just north of Ryan's, across Glen Este-Withamsville from Meijer is a new strip mall that's being built. I saw "Coming soon, (something) Fiesta". I'll try to get the full name next time I go through there.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3146
  • Joined: 2008/03/08 11:02:00
  • Location: Sardinia, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/28 20:03:23 (permalink)
The Golden Corral is across from Chipotle on Glen Este-Withamsville - is it right next to the Golden Corral?
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3146
  • Joined: 2008/03/08 11:02:00
  • Location: Sardinia, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/28 20:08:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jmckee

quote:
Originally posted by NYPIzzaNut

The pies are first class - on a par with the Mennonite pies available here in Brown County. Lard is what makes the difference.


Where in Brown County are you, out of curiosity?
We are in Sardinia, out on Lake Waynoka.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3146
  • Joined: 2008/03/08 11:02:00
  • Location: Sardinia, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/28 20:11:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jmckee

quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

quote:
Originally posted by soozycue520

I drove through Newtown today. If you are going east on RT. 32 from Beechmont Ave., it is on your right just as you go into Newtown. It is past the driving range. The sign said "32 BBQ". It had signs for ice cream. I saw no smoke, but I didn't stop.

I made two stops today - first at the Newtown Farmer's market after my daughter's soccer team annihilated the other team 12-1, and the second at 32 BBQ. Never mind that my daughter gave up the single goal to the other team :-) She had a blast, and a lot of playing time. Her coach does a good job ensuring all players play and rotating them through different positions.

First, the farmer's market, which is almost directly across from the soccer fields. Great produce, good prices. Daughter loved the parrots and was absolutely delighted that she was able to get one of them (Holly) to say hello to her. As a reward for her excellent play as the third quarter goalie (taking a kick to the hand and still saving the goal) I bought her a vanilla frozen custard cone, and she immediately noted how much it was different from regular soft serve ice cream. I have some roadfood hope for her! :-) I wish the chocolate and vanilla flavors were more apparent, but the texture was great. I particularly liked the "wall" of corn, and she picked us up 3 winners for dinner tonight. I was pleased with all the produce I saw.

Has anyone ever bought one of their paper-wrapped amish pies? Large selection, but hard to look at them due to their wrapping

(aside to jjr: they have a very small selection of spaghetti sauce there, but most were not ones I had seen before. Check it out if you are in the area)

Second, 32 BBQ. Most importantly, the BBQ sign is gone, and they are not doing BBQ anymore. They are now calling themselves "Corral 32". The menu consists of your basic hot dog, brat, and metts (like a roadside ice cream stand) but they also do a roast pork sandwich (5 bucks with slaw and chips) and a cuban. I ordered a sliced roast pork sandwich and chatted with the owner while we waited. They've been open about 2 months, and took the bbq of the menu when it did not sell well. He confirmed that they press the cuban sandwich, and it sounds fairly authentic (he has some cuban friends he tested it out on.). They have an extensive selection of flavors for their ice balls, which they call "snowies". When I got the sandwich home, I had easily 2/3 of a pound of juicy, somewhat salty (I'd guess they brine the pork roast to achieve some juiciness) slices but with a good mild flavor and very, very tender, on a good large bakery bun. I'll get the cuban next time, as that pork will do very well in a cuban sandwich. Very, very good.


Talked to Mr. Palmisano, the owner of the Newtown Farm Market last time I was in. He was VERY appreciative of the attention on this forum, and was delighted to know about Roadfood.com.

I've had the pies, Tom. They are very, very good. Go. Get one. Now. Glad to hear your girl's a roadfooder too -- the apple doth not fall far from the Jackson tree, it seems.

New parking lot BBQ place on Glen Este - Withamsville Road, north of 32 at the new Eastgate Station retail development. Called "Here Piggy Piggy," it's a guy with a trailer and a drum smoker. My son and I will try it soon.

Also, in that same development, Eric's Ice Cream (which is a nice little shop owned and operated by a former classmate of my son) is expanding and adding soups and sandwiches soon.
The bbq place then is takeout only or do they have tables in the lot too? Do you have their phone number by chance or the fellow's cell phone number?
brittneal
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1265
  • Joined: 2006/09/17 14:45:00
  • Location: fairborn, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/28 22:30:35 (permalink)
Thanks there TJ Jillians it is. I would never dram of going there at my tender age but it did get some pretty whacky write-ups!
I was most interested in the habaci buffet. I believe they did a piece on it in the weekender. The pictures were awsone w/ the Jumbo scallops and prawns plus oysters still on the half shell. There were only a few tables as i recall. I dreamed of going there but the wife is anti shellfish and orienatl foods! So no go joe...
bummer
Thanks again for the memory boost.
britt
Euched
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 35
  • Joined: 2008/03/23 18:00:00
  • Location: Amberley Village, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/28 23:17:01 (permalink)
I have been to Riverside Korean and it is awesome. I took some clients there that were over here from Korea and they said it was some of the most authentic and best Korean they have ever had outside of their home country. If you like to try different things it is definitely worth checking out.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4596
  • Joined: 2003/07/26 22:24:00
  • Location: Cincinnati, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/29 12:55:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson
Answer: Ya Kat Mein Noodle House (www.yakatmein.biz) (though the menu says .com rather than .biz)

I went by there tonight and picked up a carryout menu - kids don't like Chinese much, we ate at Longhorn so I could check out their burger that has been much ballyhooed in another thread - and was surprised to see 5 varieties of dumpling on the menu. Many ameri-chinese joints don't have any, maybe half have one type, a couple have two - 5 was something I had not seen before! The place smelled very, very good. I will definitely hit it for lunch someday soon. Kahn's - what did you have there?
quote:
Originally posted by KahnsKrazy
To be totally honest, I don't remember. As I do often with new places that are recommended to me, I told the girl who took my order that I had never eaten there and asked what her favorite dish was. I ordered whatever that was, and it was delicious. Also, reasonably priced.
I went in for lunch today, everything except the eggroll (which was very good) was pretty average taste-wise. No real standouts. Prices were indeed reasonable.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 535
  • Joined: 2007/05/30 19:17:00
  • Location: Cincinnati, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/29 15:16:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by NYPIzzaNut

The Golden Corral is across from Chipotle on Glen Este-Withamsville - is it right next to the Golden Corral?


Yes, the BBQ place is very close to Golden Corral. Just south in front of the strip mall.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3146
  • Joined: 2008/03/08 11:02:00
  • Location: Sardinia, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/29 15:43:53 (permalink)
Do they have any tables set up where you can eat there, might you know?
jmckee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1188
  • Joined: 2001/11/26 12:24:00
  • Location: Batavia, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/29 18:30:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by NYPIzzaNut

quote:
Originally posted by jmckee

quote:
Originally posted by NYPIzzaNut

The pies are first class - on a par with the Mennonite pies available here in Brown County. Lard is what makes the difference.


Where in Brown County are you, out of curiosity?
We are in Sardinia, out on Lake Waynoka.


Know the area pretty well. Worked in St. Martin for six and a half years, and when my wife's grandfather was still alive and raising beef cattle, he had his beef butchered there for us to pick up.
jmckee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1188
  • Joined: 2001/11/26 12:24:00
  • Location: Batavia, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/29 18:31:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bonk

quote:
Originally posted by jmckee

quote:
Originally posted by sudie

Read an article in the paper this AM about a place in Milford called "The Yellow Rose of Texas" in Milford on 28 in the old Friendly's location. I'm really not that familiar with that area. It sounded as though they have a good BBQ menu...brisket, smoked turkey, etc. The owner put his retirement $ into this venture; hope he's not sorry. Will try to get there in the next few weeks, but do report if you get there sooner. Going to look for "Here Piggy, Piggy, too.


Here's info on Here Piggy Piggy, from an ad the proprietor placed on Craigslist:

"There is a new BBQ restaurant in town called "Here Piggy-Piggy BBQ." All the food is slow-smoked over a wood fire, and there are many options to chose from- chicken, pork, beef, there is something for everybody. We open at 11:30 am and don't close until we sell out of the food we cooked for the day. Our BBQ is based on the BBQ that has been made famous in Monroe County, Kentucky (featured on the Food Network.) The owner of the BBQ is from this area and has been working the grills and smokers since he was, in his words, "knee-high to a grasshopper." Stop on in on your lunch break, or bring the family home supper Monday through Saturday. We are located 1/4 mile on the right down glen este withemsville rd. across from chipotle off of st. rt. 132. Stop in today."


That's the one, although it's off of 32, not 132. So it is open. Maybe we'll check that out on Saturday.

As for the Ban Thai, now that I know it's there, I'd like to give it a visit. I've just started getting into Thai food. Maybe it was closed for remodeling or something when I went past. It definitely wasn't open then.

Stop me if you've heard this one, but I drove past another place that's opening soon, and again I didn't catch the full name.

Just north of Ryan's, across Glen Este-Withamsville from Meijer is a new strip mall that's being built. I saw "Coming soon, (something) Fiesta". I'll try to get the full name next time I go through there.


It's going to be a Mexican restaurant, right next to the Oil Express. Probably some other shops there too, it looks like.

We like Rincon Mexicano next to Bigg's, so we worry if another comes in Rincon might be hurt.
jmckee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1188
  • Joined: 2001/11/26 12:24:00
  • Location: Batavia, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/29 18:32:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by NYPIzzaNut

Do they have any tables set up where you can eat there, might you know?


No. It looks like carryout only. We were going to stop yesterday and say howdy after my son finished his chorus rehearsal at 5:30 (West Clermont By Request, and y'all should hear them!), but he had homework, so we headed home.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3146
  • Joined: 2008/03/08 11:02:00
  • Location: Sardinia, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/29 19:07:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jmckee

quote:
Originally posted by Bonk

quote:
Originally posted by jmckee

quote:
Originally posted by sudie

Read an article in the paper this AM about a place in Milford called "The Yellow Rose of Texas" in Milford on 28 in the old Friendly's location. I'm really not that familiar with that area. It sounded as though they have a good BBQ menu...brisket, smoked turkey, etc. The owner put his retirement $ into this venture; hope he's not sorry. Will try to get there in the next few weeks, but do report if you get there sooner. Going to look for "Here Piggy, Piggy, too.


Here's info on Here Piggy Piggy, from an ad the proprietor placed on Craigslist:

"There is a new BBQ restaurant in town called "Here Piggy-Piggy BBQ." All the food is slow-smoked over a wood fire, and there are many options to chose from- chicken, pork, beef, there is something for everybody. We open at 11:30 am and don't close until we sell out of the food we cooked for the day. Our BBQ is based on the BBQ that has been made famous in Monroe County, Kentucky (featured on the Food Network.) The owner of the BBQ is from this area and has been working the grills and smokers since he was, in his words, "knee-high to a grasshopper." Stop on in on your lunch break, or bring the family home supper Monday through Saturday. We are located 1/4 mile on the right down glen este withemsville rd. across from chipotle off of st. rt. 132. Stop in today."


That's the one, although it's off of 32, not 132. So it is open. Maybe we'll check that out on Saturday.

As for the Ban Thai, now that I know it's there, I'd like to give it a visit. I've just started getting into Thai food. Maybe it was closed for remodeling or something when I went past. It definitely wasn't open then.

Stop me if you've heard this one, but I drove past another place that's opening soon, and again I didn't catch the full name.

Just north of Ryan's, across Glen Este-Withamsville from Meijer is a new strip mall that's being built. I saw "Coming soon, (something) Fiesta". I'll try to get the full name next time I go through there.


It's going to be a Mexican restaurant, right next to the Oil Express. Probably some other shops there too, it looks like.

We like Rincon Mexicano next to Bigg's, so we worry if another comes in Rincon might be hurt.
Rincon has done fine with the big so-called Mexican restaurant at the mall nearby (at the edge of the food court) and with another interloper nearby who closed in less than a year so I have no fear they will continue to thrive.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3146
  • Joined: 2008/03/08 11:02:00
  • Location: Sardinia, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/08/29 19:10:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jmckee

quote:
Originally posted by NYPIzzaNut

Do they have any tables set up where you can eat there, might you know?


No. It looks like carryout only. We were going to stop yesterday and say howdy after my son finished his chorus rehearsal at 5:30 (West Clermont By Request, and y'all should hear them!), but he had homework, so we headed home.
Thanks for the feedback - that is too bad as I was hoping our lunchbunch group would go there next week.
KahnsKrazy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 47
  • Joined: 2008/04/30 17:27:00
  • Location: Cincinnati, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/09/03 13:57:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by soozycue520

I have been to a few noteworthy places to eat recently that I'd like to report on.

The best of the bunch was Otto's in Covington, KY....http://www.mainstrasse.org/ottos.html
...
I went to Arthur's yesterday with my daughter for Burger Madness. ...
Also, went to Montgomery Inn the other day, because my cousin, ...


Soozy-

Thanks for the tip on Otto's. I am near the place, but never would have expected the menu to be what you described. I've added it to my list.

Arthurs is more famous for the toppings than the beef patty itself, which as you described is high quality, but not exceptional on its own. Pile it high with their toppings and you've got something.

Montgomery Inn takes a beating among people who like BBQ a certain way. I too prefer the ribs at a place like Walts over Montgomery Inn, but as you say, that doesn't mean Montgomery Inn doesn't have some great items on the menu. The pork chops are some of the best I've had - rivaled in my mind by El Coyote. Though they like to be know for the saratoga chips, I actually prefer the french fries dipped in bbq sauce.
Page: << < ..5152535455.. > >> Showing page 55 of 110
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1