AnsweredHot!WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Page: << < ..5152535455 Showing page 55 of 55
Double Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/05/20 13:59:30
donw9876
Cheeseburger
☼ Best Answerby TJ Jackson 2014/07/03 19:40:41
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/05/21 01:42:58
^ Sad. They had a great product.

Why is it basically impossible to have a fast serve restaurant that sells quality roast beef sandwiches? It's like it violates the laws of physics or something.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/06/14 15:49:43
Ko-Sho in Northside appears to have closed. Signage is gone, and the space looks to be completely vacated. I was a fan of the downtown location years back and was excited when I heard they were moving to Northside, but it unfortunately was worse in just about every way. We haven't been back in years.

I attempted to try Habesha (an Ethiopian restaurant on the West side) last weekend, but their Sunday hours of operation are incorrect on both Yelp and their own site. I arrived around 6:15 P.M. for dinner, only to find that they had been closed for 15 minutes.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/06/29 12:38:19
Bonk

So ****tybeat mentioned Ali Baba's, which I'd never heard of before, and since it's on the east side...sort of...and I had a taste for a gyro I thought I'd give it a try.

I like my gyros with just tzatziki sauce, so I ordered one of those and a six-piece falafel to go.

I think I've only had falafel once so I'm in no way an authority on it, but I thought they were excellent. I started nibbling on them in the car and I finished them at home (they gave me a side of tzataiki to dip it in). Almost like a hush puppy in texture but much more flavorful.

Then I got home and had the gyro. I was very pleased. It's about as good as Chicago Gyros, which is my favorite in the city (and no, I haven't ventured over the much-acclaimed Sebastian's). They do a great job with the pita, getting just a touch of oil on it and frying it so has just a little crispiness to it. The meat was outstanding, and they give you quite a bit, and the sauce was excellent. The sauce had little chunks of dill in it and had a hint of garlic, just like CG's. 

It was $10.49 for all I got and I was stuffed. It's on Red Bank Road about a mile south of I-71.

Highly recommended.

http://alibabagrille.com/

TJ Jackson

There are two really great things about Ali Babas that differentiate them from most other gyro joints about town

First, while many gyro joints have gyro meat on a spit, Ali Baba's also has a chicken schwarma spit, and I have to say I've not had a better schwarma elsewhere

Second, they have a lot more options in regards to what they can and will put on your gyro (or scharma, or falafel, etc) that most other greek places around town

Most places have tomato, onion, and tzaziki - thats it.  Maybe cucumbers too in some cases.

Ali Baba has feta, roasted red peppers, eggplant, olives, and many other toppings and if I understand things correctly these are all FREE to add to your pita sandwich. 

I second your recommendation

We went to Ali Baba for the first time last night, and while I agree that the food and variety of toppings was quite good, the service was absolutely abysmal. There were maybe a dozen people in the restaurant when we arrived around 7:30, and it took 30 minutes (I timed it) for them to bring out our chicken and steak schwarma platters. The couple in front of us also waited 30 minutes for their to-go order. I assume by the good reviews here and elsewhere that this isn't the norm, but it didn't make for a very good first impression.

On a side note, there were flyers in the restaurant stating that they will be changing their name to Durum Grill, and "may" close for remodeling. There was no mention of an ownership change, though.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/06/29 20:36:48
Hopefully the food will remain the same following the name change

I worry though because there is already a Durum Grille in town (http://www.urbanspoon.com...urum-Grill-Cincinnati)
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/06/30 10:56:17
Some misc items

--It has been pointed out in the Cincinnati Chili tour thread that Queen City Cookies has gone out of business

--I was driving down Hamilton Avenue this weekend and just south of Compton there was a clearly an open business with the sign "Goodies BBQ".  Is this the same business and/or operators that had closed some time back, only relocated?  west siders, report in :-)

--The Anderson Bar and Grill on Beechmont is definitely under remodeling, as is the old Perkins that was most recently a very bad chinese joint.  Don't know what they will turn out to be just yet.

--Has anyone eaten at the BBQ trailer that is parked on Madison in Madisonville that is open erratically, perhaps once every two weeks?  The trailer seems to be parked permanently there, but it is very very rarely open, and I drive by it twice a day during the week
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/06/30 11:43:21
oh, and I hadn't seen the news when yet when I wrote the previous message: the last of the old JeanRo group restaurants -- Lavomatic and Local 127 -- have closed

http://www.cincinnati.com...ionKey=&autologin=

The reviews for Lavomatic were usually quite bad, but Local 127 was a pretty good restaurant, so I am a little sad about that.  Local 127 was in a prime location downtown so I am all but certain someone will open a new eatery (preferably not a chain, except maybe Chik-Fil-A) there fairly soon.
post edited by TJ Jackson - 2014/06/30 11:45:19
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/07/02 23:17:52
TJ Jackson

--I was driving down Hamilton Avenue this weekend and just south of Compton there was a clearly an open business with the sign "Goodies BBQ".  Is this the same business and/or operators that had closed some time back, only relocated?  west siders, report in :-)

Their new Facebook page confirms this.
Goodies

New phone number for details:  513 264 1631
post edited by NYPIzzaNut - 2014/07/02 23:20:04
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/07/03 00:08:19
The facebook page sure doesn't say much about what happened or anything, just "hey, we're here"
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/07/04 21:06:44
TJ Jackson
Some misc items

--It has been pointed out in the Cincinnati Chili tour thread that Queen City Cookies has gone out of business

--The Anderson Bar and Grill on Beechmont is definitely under remodeling, as is the old Perkins that was most recently a very bad chinese joint.  Don't know what they will turn out to be just yet.

--Has anyone eaten at the BBQ trailer that is parked on Madison in Madisonville that is open erratically, perhaps once every two weeks?  The trailer seems to be parked permanently there, but it is very very rarely open, and I drive by it twice a day during the week

Anderson Bar & Grill is remodeling and is changing its name slightly but I can't remember what to. I wish them luck but that's a tough location and Varsity is doing quite nicely right behind them.

There was an article saying Arthur's was opening a second location in the old Perkin's in the spring, but it doesn't look like anything has been done there.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/07/07 00:35:11
Saw a sign in an empty storefront a block or so east of India Bistro on Beechmont

"Coming Soon: Paradise Hookah Bar"

no idea if there will be any eats
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/07/07 00:36:17
Yeah, Arthur's is definitely opening up in the old Perkins

A GREAT addition to this area
wesleyman
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/07/13 22:19:52
Arthur's is opening in the old Perkins. Seemed to be working going in this week. Also, I have heard we are getting a Dewey's somewhere in Anderson Township.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/07/14 08:35:40
wesleyman
Also, I have heard we are getting a Dewey's somewhere in Anderson Township.

The West side is getting one as well, although construction on the shopping center (at Harrison and Westwood-Northern) that will house them was delayed by about a year. It's scheduled to open in April 2015 now, along with a Graeter's, First Watch, and Tom + Chee.

Speaking of delays, Raising Cane's is now also looking at an early 2015 opening. They bought out the Five Guys on Tylersville Road about a year ago, and it's been more or less untouched ever since. According to a recent Enquirer article, they "ran into some developmental issues that slowed things down," but they envision "having three Cincinnati-area restaurants open by the end of 2015. The franchise's real estate development team is still scouting locations for the other two sites." They are still my favorite fast food chain, hands down.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/07/18 18:11:40
Arthur's (Anderson) now has a sign up. That's a good sign, no pun intended.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/07/18 21:17:23
I noted elsewhere in these forums that a lot of people seem to really like the Home Run Inn brand of frozen pizzas.

I noticed about a month ago that this pizza was being sold at Jungle Jims, and more recently I have found it in local Kroger's stores

The pies usually run 9 dollars each, but Krogers had a special for 7 dollars, so I picked one up.  I'd say this is pretty good for a frozen pizza, but it was still not very impressive, especially for the price.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/07/22 19:36:00
Jack may have mentioned this on Chowhound rather than here (not sure) but he recently praised the pork sandwich (pork with broc rabe and sharp provolone) at the Eagle in OTR as the best he had ever had

I decided to take that sandwich out for a test drive tonight to see how it compared to the roast pork italian in Philly (DiNics, Johns Roast Pork, and Tony Luke's, to name a few) and I have to say it was pretty darned good but not quite as good as the similar sandwiches in Philly.  It was a notably more expensive (online menus say 8 bucks, but they are charging 9 bucks at present ala carte), the cheese less sharp, the pork not as juicy, and no pronounced garlic flavor (although they dont mention garlic in the description, I include it for comparison since it is otherwise very much ingredient-wise like the roast pork italian sandwiches in Philly)

I need to also mention that in Philly when I encountered sharp provolone, it was a very crumbly cheese, but the cheese topping this sandwich was a large slice or two, more like regular provolone, and the taste was far closer to regular provolone than sharp provolone

Note: It you dont like hot peppers or mayo, ask for those on the side or off entirely, they were very accomodating to me on those two counts.  The mayo isn't even in the description on the menu.

Still, a pretty darned good sandwich, even at the 9 dollar price point

Recommended
post edited by TJ Jackson - 2014/07/22 19:39:30
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/07/23 11:22:22
TJ Jackson
I noted elsewhere in these forums that a lot of people seem to really like the Home Run Inn brand of frozen pizzas.

I noticed about a month ago that this pizza was being sold at Jungle Jims, and more recently I have found it in local Kroger's stores

The pies usually run 9 dollars each, but Krogers had a special for 7 dollars, so I picked one up.  I'd say this is pretty good for a frozen pizza, but it was still not very impressive, especially for the price.

Jungle Jim's now has frozen pizzas from Nick and Vito's, which is a Chicago place. I think they're really good for frozen, but regular price is $10 for about a 30 oz. pie. However, like with bread and milk, JJ's never charges full price for them, and they go on sale for as cheap as $7 (this week they're $9).

Unfortunately that's still a lot for a brand most people around here have never heard of, so I wonder how long they're continue to carry them.

I agree Home Run Pizza isn't worth the price.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/07/23 15:30:27
I now work just a mile or so from Quatmans, and today I finally made my way in there

Had a truly excellent cheeseburger - they can and will cook to temp if asked if it isn't too busy in there - and some very good chili, which I should note isn't a cincinnati style chili and does include beans

Nothing fancy about either item - just good eats at a good price

Recommended
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/08/06 16:46:30
Anyone know anything about this seemingly new calzone-and-crepe-only shop in Clifton?

http://www.urbanspoon.com...le/Doughbys-Cincinnati
dlawson
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/08/06 21:12:24
I haven't been yet, but I drove by it around 7:00 P.M. this past Saturday, and the line was at least 40-50 people out the door. We may try to go for dinner on Friday if there isn't a similar wait.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/08/07 09:55:12
I am getting indications that someone is currently trying to re-create the old Zinos, possibly as a food truck

There was a failed attempt in Covington about 10 years ago, never made it there but I guess given the closure that attempt must not have been too good
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/08/09 15:58:47
Arthur's Facebook page says the Anderson Twp. location is expected to open around Labor Day.

I'm psyched.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/08/10 22:04:31
We didn't make it to Doughby's this weekend, but I gather that there is another one in Oxford. Bonk, have you been?

I have also heard rave reviews about Pieology from a few people, so that's now on my list as well.

The UC/Clifton area lost several restaurants over the past couple of months, including Five Guys (which shocks me), Fire House Subs, Mediterranean Foods, Thai Cafe, and Olives (which is being revamped as a bar and music venue called Live at the Ludlow Garage).
Ghaz
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/08/14 10:52:38
After closing almost four months ago citing a "pending relocation", Steinhaus German Restaurant announced on their Facebook page that they're finally reopening... in the same location

https://www.facebook.com/SteinhausRestaurant
jmckee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/08/15 09:48:17
Hey, this thread shows as last post being 22 hours ago, but TJ's post about the crepe / Calzone joint is the last one I see.

TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/08/15 10:20:03
Try clearing your cache

If that doesn't resolve the problem, post about this issue on the Rushmore forum bugs thread

there are 5 posts (not including yours or this one) after the crepe and calzone post as I write this
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/08/15 10:33:50
G R E A T   N E W S

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/local/milford/2014/08/14/roneys-may-reopen-milford/14071381/?from=global&sessionKey=&autologin=

a snippet from the article
"Milford staff has been working to lure them to a new location in Milford and they have a tentative agreement with Cincinnati United Contractors for a building that could be built for them on Chamber Drive near the Milford Parkway in Milford."  The Milford Planning Commission approved a site plan Aug. 13 submitted by Cincinnati United Contractors to build a nearly 2,900-square-foot building for Roney's.

he|| yeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/08/15 14:58:51
and now, some very, very sad news as a long-time local institution -one of the very few of its kind locally - closes

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/newintown/2014/08/15/myras-dionysus-to-close-aug-30/14106479/

Aug. 31 will be the last day for the vegetarian-friendly restaurant, known for its soups and its recipes from Greece and around the world. Until then, Hancock said they will be making customer favorites, including different types of hummus and popular soups; check the restaurant's Facebook page to see specials.

edit: fixed the link, thanks don
post edited by TJ Jackson - 2014/08/16 00:16:08
donw9876
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/08/15 21:29:53
TJ, wrap your link to the news article in forum tags or something. This crap software absolutely butchered them.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/08/16 15:46:27
TJ Jackson
and now, some very, very sad news as a long-time local institution -one of the very few of its kind locally - closes

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/newintown/2014/08/15/myras-dionysus-to-close-aug-30/14106479/

Sad, but not unexpected. The building has been listed for sale on the MLS for some time now.

Also, today and tomorrow are the last two days of Downtown Cincinnati Restaurant Week. We finally went to Jimmy G's last night, which was a mixed bag. The beef tenderloin, naan (part of the bread basket), and desserts (I went with the yuzu/lime custard, my wife did the chocolate amaretto mousse) were excellent, but the Caesar salad and mac & cheese (which several Yelp reviewers rave about) were average at best. There was also a family of four who treated our dining area like their family dining room, but the servers and sommelier were quite attentive to the husband in particular, so I get the feeling that I "should" have known who he was. 
dlawson
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/08/17 13:29:04
We tried Pieology for dinner last night, in Clifton on McMillan right by Lime (within about 100 feet of both Pomodori and Adriatico's). There is one pizza size (11" thin crust) and two price points, $6.00 for a cheese pizza, or $7.35 for as much as you want of everything else (a gluten-free crust is also available as an upcharge). There are three base sauce options (red, olive oil, herb butter), four cheese options, and about 25 meat and vegetable options (including some "after the bake" like roasted red peppers and pesto, which weren't obvious, as I would have added pesto if I had known). They also offer salads, which wasn't entirely obvious, either. Finally, there is no alcohol on the menu, which probably has Pomodori and Adriatico's breathing a bit easier.

The pie is built right in front of you in a Chipotle-like assembly line (they borrow heavily from Chipotle...the restaurant layout, the furnishings, even the logo and fonts) and is then thrown in a wood-fired oven for a few minutes. Our three pizzas were ready less than five minutes after we paid at the register. I went with red sauce, mozzarella, ricotta, garlic, basil, and pepperoni on mine, and was pretty pleased for the price. The ricotta didn't melt particularly well, but still tasted fine, as did the sauce and other toppings. (I would have added sausage if it didn't look like frozen pellets.) The crust is unfortunately the weak spot, although I wonder if its flavor might have been improved a bit if I had them brush it with the herb butter before adding the red sauce. Their slicing technique also needs work, as we had to grab knives and forks to separate a few slices on each of the three pies.

As far as wood-fired pizzas go, it's no A Tavola, but for the price and promptness, I think it's worth it.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/08/17 16:28:13
No, I'd never heard of Doughby's. It must be pretty new -- we go up during hockey season and I don't remember it being there in March. I've been saying for years that it amazes me a town packed with a huge population of college students from the Chicago and Cleveland areas doesn't have a good pizza place.

We'll have to give it a shot this fall.

Three locations: Oxford, Clifton and downtown Lexington. I see a theme here.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/08/17 16:30:37
TJ Jackson
G R E A T N E W S

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/local/milford/2014/08/14/roneys-may-reopen-milford/14071381/?from=global&sessionKey=&autologin=

a snippet from the article
"Milford staff has been working to lure them to a new location in Milford and they have a tentative agreement with Cincinnati United Contractors for a building that could be built for them on Chamber Drive near the Milford Parkway in Milford." The Milford Planning Commission approved a site plan Aug. 13 submitted by Cincinnati United Contractors to build a nearly 2,900-square-foot building for Roney's.

he|| yeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Wow, that's fantastic news. It took me years to get my wife to like that place and then it disappeared.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/08/17 19:16:24
The Jackson clan split a Vito and Nick II's frozen sausage pizza (9.99, was not on sale) tonight

The overall assessment was - better than average for frozen, but still not impressive

The main thing I think they need to improve on is the taste of the sauce itself.  Just like Home Run Inn, it was virtually flavorless.
jmckee
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/08/18 12:34:05
The old Eastside Café on upper Beechmont is reopening soon.

(Total Revelation Department: The new owner / proprietor is a HS / College friend of mine.)

Menu is to be sandwiches featuring daily fresh-roasted meats, burgers with daily fresh-ground beef, and Cincinnati chili among other things. Beer list is largely local -- Mt. Carmel, Moerlein, Hudepohl. Fresh turkey, too.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eastside-Cafe/106251919553301

(I am listed as Sous Chef. This is Cris's idea of a joke.)
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/08/20 21:34:38
jmckee
The old Eastside Café on upper Beechmont is reopening soon.

(Total Revelation Department: The new owner / proprietor is a HS / College friend of mine.)

Menu is to be sandwiches featuring daily fresh-roasted meats, burgers with daily fresh-ground beef, and Cincinnati chili among other things. Beer list is largely local -- Mt. Carmel, Moerlein, Hudepohl. Fresh turkey, too.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eastside-Cafe/106251919553301

(I am listed as Sous Chef. This is Cris's idea of a joke.)

Thanks for the update! I was wondering why the sign was still there when the rest of that strip mall was pretty much vacant.

We live three minutes away so we'll definitely support them when they re-open, but that's still a tough location. I wish him luck.
jmckee
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/08/21 10:44:27
I'm invited to the "invitation only" VIP kickoff Saturday evening, so I'll give a full report as soon as I know more.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/09/05 23:56:46
TJ Jackson

There may be hope for Myra's after all...

https://northsideoh.nextd...ews_feed/?post=6637542
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/09/06 08:21:24
Looks like we're getting a Jet's Pizza next to the Jimmy Johns on Beechmont kinda sorta across from the new Arthur's

I am looking forward to Arthur's far more than to Jet's Pizza :-)
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/09/06 08:21:24
Looks like we're getting a Jet's Pizza next to the Jimmy Johns on Beechmont kinda sorta across from the new Arthur's

I am looking forward to Arthur's far more than to Jet's Pizza :-)
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/09/08 19:03:08
I decided to check out the Eastside Café today for lunch. I stopped in, the door was open, but I was told they're not opening until tomorrow.
MurphyR
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/09/08 19:33:53
Have you tried the Urban Grill Food Truck? AWESOME!
Page: << < ..5152535455 Showing page 55 of 55