AnsweredHot!WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Page: << < ..6667686970.. > >> Showing page 68 of 109
Author
luebster
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/03/05 08:42:52 (permalink)
Just in case people here have not seen it, C Trent Rosecrans (formerly of The Post) and Mo Egger (morning host on 1530 Homer) have started the Cincy Burger Blog. First review: Zola.

Cincy Burger Blog

Sadly, there is no RSS feed. Enjoy.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4544
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/03/05 09:38:28 (permalink)
soozycue520
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1031
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/03/05 17:21:06 (permalink)
For those that might be interested, I found this website through the City-Data forums:

http://www.cheeseconey.com/

Pretty much info here.

I will post it on the Cincy Chili topic here, as well, so others can find it.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/03/05 18:03:43 (permalink)
I noted on the walk to Tan Thai today that Caspian Express had been replaced by "Raya's Place".  When I went over to look at the menu posted on the door, I found myself looking at Jordan Valley's menu

My interest piqued, I went in and chatted with the owner

Indeed, the owner was involved in the Jordan Valley operation, and I remembered seeing her in the kitchen at Jordan Valley before.   She told me what had happened at Jordan Valley - that there realy and truly had been a water leak and that Ned (JV's owner) was looking for a new location where he could reopen.

In other news.....

Tan Thai/Downtown did indeed expand their menu, but prices were raised slightly on some items and held steady on others.   The new menu they showed me a few weeks back had slightly lower prices.

The Bagel Place next to Lucy Blue on 7th (formerly Gondolas) is still not open yet.  The signage out front has two different names shown

Ko Sho/Downtown is no longer serving lunch, and they tell me they are indeed finally moving to Northside as they had indicated that they were last year

Tucker's/Over-The-Rhine Nice writeup on the WineMeDineMe blog, worth a read: http://winemedinemecincinnati.com/?p=817

Churchill's/downtown I assume ya'all already knew this "English Tea party" place was closing down, but just in case, now you definitely do.  It wasn't my, uhm, cup of tea......but I had hoped to bring my daughters there sometime in the future, as I think they would have gotten a kick out of it.
post edited by TJ Jackson - 2009/03/05 18:04:55
jblazier
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/03/05 18:24:03 (permalink)
My favorite place to eat in Cincinnati is Uncle Yip's in Evandale. Their Dim Sum is by far the best in Cincinnati since Pacific Moon's went down hill. Just outside of Cincy I highly recommend Thai Seasons in Lawrenceburg, though i might be a bit biased since I'm married to the chef. I've been eating her food for 8 years and have yet to send a plate back that wasn't empty..lol
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/03/05 21:43:31 (permalink)
TJ Jackson

Tucker's/Over-The-Rhine Nice writeup on the WineMeDineMe blog, worth a read: http://winemedinemecincinnati.com/?p=817

Churchill's/downtown I assume ya'all already knew this "English Tea party" place was closing down, but just in case, now you definitely do.  It wasn't my, uhm, cup of tea......but I had hoped to bring my daughters there sometime in the future, as I think they would have gotten a kick out of it.

TJ~

The "winemedineme" write up on Tucker's is great!!  It really is a hidden treasure.  I need to get down there to try the shrimp & grits.  Another trip to Findlay Market is due, since the weather is getting warmer.  If, or when, I go, I'll try to get some pictures.

And I am sad to hear about Churchill's.  I had the same idea, of taking my grandchildren, but Bonbonnerie does an afternoon tea, too.  http://www.bonbonerie.com/

post edited by soozycue520 - 2009/03/05 21:44:47
soozycue520
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/03/05 23:04:08 (permalink)
OK ~ let me start by saying thanks to TJ for starting this "open chat" of Greater Cincinnati food!!!    Two thumbs up!!

I have done some trip reviews, and Cincinnati food reviews, in the past.  My pics, IMHO, have not always been the greatest, but hopefully, the point came across.

ANYHOO~ I just got a camera phone, and thought I would try it out, by going to my regular breakfast place.  Let me say that the lunches there do leave a lot to be desired, in my humble opinion.  But, the breakfasts are consistently good.

Here we go~~

The Parkside Cafe
1024 E Mcmillan St
Cincinnati, OH 45206
(513) 221-2026
http://www.parksidecafe.info/

This place used to be a Frisch's Big Boy Restaurant.

The old "soup, salad & fruit bar" ~

My very good breakfast~Eggs, bacon, potatoes, and toast.

The potatoes are red-skinned potato slices, which i got with sauteed onions on top.

Go for breakfast!!!  The breakfast food is fabulous!!!  They have a breakfast bar on Saturday & Sunday.  They close at 3pm.  Check out the menu on the website, posted above.  This is my stand-by, but I've seen good biscuits & gravy, and stuffed french toast!

I recommend Parkside Cafe for a decent breakfast!! 

post edited by soozycue520 - 2009/03/05 23:07:56
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 521
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/03/07 22:21:40 (permalink)
Saw the sign for Fuji's is up at the old Eastgate Buffet location.

No opening date on the marquee, though.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3140
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/03/08 18:44:10 (permalink)
My guess is they will be open within the next 30 days or less.
rpglegal
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/03/09 19:20:22 (permalink)
jblazier,    I just discovered Dim Sum at Casual Wok/Sigma Deli in Montgomery.   They do it also on weekends only from 10:30 -3:00,  and I think I'm addicted.   3 weekends of the last 4 have found me there.  So I did some researching looking for other places to try,  and saw that Uncle Yips was listed,  but older posts showed that he had closed the Evendale location at least temporarily... so glad to hear he does have dim sum on weekends again,  and I am going to head there soon. 
rpglegal
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/03/09 19:23:50 (permalink)
EMANU - I can't say enough good things about the Ethiopian place in Pleasant Ridge,  called Emanu.   Have visited 3 times and each has been wonderful.   My Mom has Celiac's so no gluten for her,  so I called ahead one Saturday afternoon to ask if they could make some Injera bread out of Teff only flour for her. Emanu graciously did so ,  and then came out to check if she liked it.. and then made some more for her to take home!    In a time when the economy is struggling so.. I would much rather give my dining dollars to local gems ,  such as this... than the chain food places.     
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/03/10 09:41:15 (permalink)
I heard this news originally on WineMeDineMe, and am not going to get too excited about it based on how Fatburger came off, but......Five Guys Burgers and Fries is opening in Cincinnati

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/stories/2009/03/09/daily12.html
post edited by TJ Jackson - 2009/03/10 09:42:36
sudie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 233
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/03/10 10:43:09 (permalink)
I ate at one in DC last year, and it was good, but it can't compete with Terry's.  We also want to try Gordo's in Norwood. 
Ghaz
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 82
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/03/11 00:00:07 (permalink)
Yep.  It's mentioned on Cincinnati.com as well:

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090306/BIZ01/903060370/1079/rss04

Looks like it's going to be in the new Calhoun Street Marketplace up by UC.  The article says if they do well, they have plans to open up to 25 Five Guys locations in the area.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/03/11 17:02:46 (permalink)
New Orleans To Go reopened today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 521
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/03/12 09:40:25 (permalink)
Interesting. I've been wanting to try one of those places -- I've heard very good things from a couple of people -- but I doubt I'll venture anywhere near Clifton for a taste.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/03/13 14:44:06 (permalink)
On the way back from picking up one of Cafe Martin's wonderful (but pricey) lunch pizzas, I walked past the new Bagel place on 7th (next to Lucy Blues, which used to be Gondolas).  Noting it was open, I went in and took a look around

The name of the place is Gilpin's Bagel and Deli (37 E 7th Street 421-4223), and the very friendly owner (who greeted immediately upon entry) explained that the opening had been delayed some time due to a serious injury he had sustained over the winter - but he was glad to be up and at it now.

He went on to point out to me that what differentiates his shop from other bagel/deli joints is that they steam their sandwiches.  "Making it Hot and Steamy" appears to be their motto.  The menu centers around a construct your own sandwich deal on a bagel or bialy (5.00), low-carb wrap (6.00) or a sub roll (6.50) They also have some salads, a soup or two, and various snacks. 

Among the snacks are fresh baked cookies, which he also says get steamed before being served.  Interesting.

Possible dealkiller: Lettuce is free, but all of the other veggies you might choose to add to your sandwich cost 25 cents extra *each*, fresh avocado is 75 cents.  You get one meat and one cheese and one spread and no veggies for the base price, though you can add more of anything - for a price.  I can see a typical sandwich costing well over 10 dollars built entirely with toppings that a customer would normally assume would be gratis.  

Hours are breakfast and lunch only

Anyway, I already had lunch in hand so I snagged a carryout menu and let them know I'd be back next week to check them out.

Edit: found a brief review online this week, thought I'd add a link to it: http://cincinnati.blogspot.com/2009/03/good-eats-gilpins-bagel-and-deli.html
post edited by TJ Jackson - 2009/03/17 16:38:39
Matt Hatfield
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/03/13 18:29:13 (permalink)
What's being built in Latonia at 43rd & Winston?  Somebody mentioned TGIFriday's but there's one just 2 exits away on Turkeyfoot so I doubt it.  Anybody??
tpd
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/03/17 23:10:12 (permalink)
Got some disappointing  news the other day.  I was heading out on a road trip with friends and wanted to introduce them to the Bahn Mi from Chopsticks in West Chester.  I called to order and was told they had changed the menu to Thai and Sushi.  Not that I don't like both of those things but there are so many other places to get them.  I was very fond of the Vietnamese menu and am sad to see a little diversity in ethnic dining go away.  Now I guess my occasional trips to Song Long will have to cure my Bun and Pho jones.
Ghaz
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/03/17 23:31:37 (permalink)
Does anyone know if the Rising Roll in on Hunt Road in Blue Ash has opened yet?  I know it's a chain, but I might be up that way this weekend and the Cuban on their menu looks promising.
BD
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/03/17 23:53:28 (permalink)
Don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but the Anchor right off the bridge in Covington is a great little dive of a diner with great coffee and breakfast to sober up over.  Oh ya, they serve goetta too.  perfect follow up to a night on the main strasse.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/03/18 09:38:27 (permalink)
The Anchor is the kind of local place I want to love......but their biscuits are fresh from the freezer box and the air is choked with cigarette smoke
vudutu
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 23
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/03/18 10:38:40 (permalink)
Hi TJ,
Have not been back in a while. Did they rework this gawd awful site, who chose this unappetizing orange color? Am I stuck with it? No accounting for taste I suppose. Try Tuckers in OTR on vine, do not confuse it with the Tuckers on w 13th, home made biscuits if you get there early enough.

Euched
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 35
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/03/22 15:05:15 (permalink)
Ghaz

Does anyone know if the Rising Roll in on Hunt Road in Blue Ash has opened yet?  I know it's a chain, but I might be up that way this weekend and the Cuban on their menu looks promising.

The Rising Roll on Hunt Rd in Blue Ash is not yet open.  I drove by it the other day on my way to Kroger and it is still full of construction equipment with no sign of it being done anytime soon from what I could tell.  I did not stop and get out of my car to see if there were any signs with dates or other messages on them, but from the parking lot they still looked far from completed.
Ghaz
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/03/22 16:52:42 (permalink)
Thanks.  Sounds like they might have hit a snag in construction then.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/03/25 00:05:36 (permalink)
TJ Jackson

[id="quote"]quote: [id="quote"]Originally posted by jjjrfoodie

I went back to Le's Vietnamese restaurant on Thursday and dropped around $20 for a couple of carry-out meals.

All in all, it was quite yummy and very unique. Not up to the top level when compared to Song Long's, my local "always good" Pho joint, but I will return to Le's to continue to sample the menu.

[id="quote"]

I made my own way over to Le's the past Friday, dropping 14 bucks on 2 eggrolls (they sell two at a time, or I would have just ordered one), pepper steak, and a pork banh mi sandwich....my first banh mi ever

The woman who took my order was extremely helpful when I told her it was my first time here, and pointed out some things I whould try and not try for a first experience.

The eggrolls were very small and the filling tasted odd and had a very mushy consistency....I would not order these again

The pepper steak was excellent, with extremely tender, flavorful beef. My only disappointment was with the fact that there was very little of the tasty brown sauce...the ingredients were for the most part dry of sauce. The bell pepper was extra fresh, with a good snap to it

The banh mi was just flat out excellent, with the only fault in my mind being there was not much meat on it. Then again, I admittedly don't know if this is typical of a banh mi sandwich......maybe those more in the know could go into this. Next time, I will ask for this sandwich again, but ask them to double the pork. Damn tasty anyway, and the french bread they used was one of the best I have had in Cincinnati. I will have to ask what their source is.

I wonder why this hoagie is not on the Song Long menu?

southern grub
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/03/29 10:33:35 (permalink)

Just on the other side of SR 32 in eastgate there was a guy set up in the parking lot selling bbq. It's back open! much better than City BBQ even on their good days. He expanded the menu a little bit too. It's on Glen-Este Withamsville Road just south of 32. He is now in the Shopping plaza there at kennedy's landing. When you're facing it on the far left. You can't miss the huge pink pig on the front of the building. no smoker in the front anymore so make sure you are looking for the pig. Its still a simple place only seats about 20 but the BBQ is great. He even has a lunch special on weekdays from 11-2. you get a Pulled Pork sandwich, bag of chips and a soda for $5.00. there are no substitutions on the the special but the sandwich it self is over a half pound so bring a good appitite. they are closed on Mondays but the other 6 days are some mighty good eating. If you had been there back in the summer your in for a treat now. He has added Mac and Cheese (From scratch) Green beans (like grandma's if you grew up south of the mason dixie) Corn Bread ($0.50) and also from scratch. He also offers a (BRUNSWICK STEW) like a Kentucky Burgoo. easily described as delicious. Its has pork, beef and chicken all smoked and stewed with onions, garlic, tomatoes, and a mix of veggies. Don't be fooled though it is probably half meat. really rich and hearty. he was out of take out menus when i was there but i'll stop back in and try to scan one to post. He still has ribs, also rib tips, chicken, pork and brisket. you won't be dissapointed.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/03/29 14:15:52 (permalink)
southern grub

Just on the other side of SR 32 in eastgate there was a guy set up in the parking lot selling bbq. It's back open! much better than City BBQ even on their good days. He expanded the menu a little bit too. It's on Glen-Este Withamsville Road just south of 32. He is now in the Shopping plaza there at kennedy's landing. When you're facing it on the far left. You can't miss the huge pink pig on the front of the building. no smoker in the front anymore so make sure you are looking for the pig. Its still a simple place only seats about 20 but the BBQ is great. He even has a lunch special on weekdays from 11-2. you get a Pulled Pork sandwich, bag of chips and a soda for $5.00. there are no substitutions on the the special but the sandwich it self is over a half pound so bring a good appitite. they are closed on Mondays but the other 6 days are some mighty good eating. If you had been there back in the summer your in for a treat now. He has added Mac and Cheese (From scratch) Green beans (like grandma's if you grew up south of the mason dixie) Corn Bread ($0.50) and also from scratch. He also offers a (BRUNSWICK STEW) like a Kentucky Burgoo. easily described as delicious. Its has pork, beef and chicken all smoked and stewed with onions, garlic, tomatoes, and a mix of veggies. Don't be fooled though it is probably half meat. really rich and hearty. he was out of take out menus when i was there but i'll stop back in and try to scan one to post. He still has ribs, also rib tips, chicken, pork and brisket. you won't be dissapointed.

What is the name and phone number and address?  Are you the proprietor or a relative?  Is it handicap accessible?
southern grub
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/03/29 22:09:53 (permalink)
Here Piggy Piggy BarBQ
513-753-7675 960 Kennedys Lndg, Cincinnati, OH 45245   I got this from CBYP.com It is handicap accessible.
westsider12
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 131
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/04/01 12:42:34 (permalink)
Went to lunch at Gilpin's Bagel and Deli today.  They are on 7th St. right down from The Lodge Bar.  TJ mentioned them in a previous post but did not eat there.  When you walk in, you pick up a sheet of paper and circle the individual choices that you want.  Start with Carbs (20 varitieties of Marx Bagels, which are awesome).  Then cream cheese (6 varieties), protein (9 varieties), cheese (8 varieties), toppings (11 varieties), and condiments (17 varieties).  My simple mind calculates that as over 1.5MM different combinations.  As TJ mentioned, the only drawback here is that toppings like pickles and onion are an extra $.25.

However, a ton of toppings on a bagel sandwich will quickly prove to be unwieldy.  I went with a roast beef and provolone (they were out of cheddar) bagel with lettuce, pickles ($.25 extra) and garlic cream cheese.  They steamed everything but the lettuce and pickles and the result was phenomenal.  If you have been to the Bagel and Deli in Oxford on Miami's campus, this place is for you.  The steaming really makes a huge difference in flavor. 

The sandwich was very big and very filling and a good deal for $5.25.  I could have easily skipped the pickles and been out of there for $5.  The only drawback was the sheer mess of the sandwich due to the steaming, but a pile of napkins will cure that. 
Page: << < ..6667686970.. > >> Showing page 68 of 109
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1