WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 7 of 54, messages 361 to 420 of 3216
Wallyum
  • Total Posts : 627
  • Reward points : 0
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Mon, 09/18/06 8:22 PM
I noticed a relatively new place out off of Buttermilk Pike called Salsarita's. Looks like something in the Chipotle/Moe's realm. Anyone have any experience with it? I think we're going to give it a try this Saturday.

Suburban Dad
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Mon, 09/18/06 8:53 PM
I believe there is a Salsarita's off of Union Centre Blvd. in West Chester. I was there about 12 months ago. If I were rating the Burrito places in order: 1)Qdoba, 2)Chipotle 3)Moe's 4)Salsaritas. From my memory, there was nothing special about the food at Salsarita's that was going to have me drive past Qdoba or Chipotle to get there.

Robin Hood
  • Total Posts : 101
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Tue, 09/19/06 7:59 AM
I've been to the Salsaritas off Buttermilk twice. It is pretty much the same as Qdoba and the others except that they have a bar where you can get margaritas, etc. I think it is slightly more expensive than the other burrito places.

pilotwmn
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Tue, 09/19/06 6:58 PM
There is a new Thai place on 42 across from Wildwood Inn, it's in the old Long John Silvers. I have been there twice, and it was excellent both times. They also have a sushi bar.

There are two Indian Restaurants, both on Mall Rd. One in the plaza by Barnes and Nobles, the other by Cahay Kitchen. I have been to Taj (BNN) and it was good. I think the other one is also a grocery.
quote:
Originally posted by Sandy Thruthegarden

I have heard an exciting rumor that Northern Kentucky may be getting an Indian restaurant in Florence somewhere off or near route 42. Has anyone else heard this or seen any signs of a new Indian place? Northern Ky is long overdue for Indian.

Robin Hood
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Wed, 09/20/06 8:18 AM
Is the new Thai place Mai's Thai that is mentioned above, or is this yet another?

TJ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 4481
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Fri, 09/22/06 7:37 AM
There is a review of the new Uzbekistani restaurant Samarkand in the Dining section of this week's Enquirer
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20060922/ENT01/609220307/

soozycue520
  • Total Posts : 1026
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Fri, 09/22/06 1:11 PM
From Today's CIncinnati Enquirer:

MOON RETURNS

Pacific Moon on the Levee opens today. The new restaurant in Newport from Alex Chin and Barbara Chin, formerly in Montgomery, serves Chinese food at dinner, lunch and late night, plus offer dim sum on weekends. It's in the upstairs location at Newport on the Levee that originally housed Bamboo Club.

Late night dining will feature sushi and small plates, with live music or DJs until 2 a.m. Traditional dim sum will not be offered for the first few months, but some dim sum items are on the regular menu.

Pacific Moon opens to the public at 4 p.m. today. Hours are 11 a.m.-2:30 a.m. daily, with the full dinner menu served until 10 p.m. Sunday-Thursday and 11 p.m. Friday and Saturday, after which the late night menu will be served until 2 a.m. 859-261-6666.

tpd
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Sun, 09/24/06 3:21 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Suburban Dad

I believe there is a Salsarita's off of Union Centre Blvd. in West Chester. I was there about 12 months ago. If I were rating the Burrito places in order: 1)Qdoba, 2)Chipotle 3)Moe's 4)Salsaritas. From my memory, there was nothing special about the food at Salsarita's that was going to have me drive past Qdoba or Chipotle to get there.

The Salasarita's on UC Blvd is in the same complex as the new Chipotle. I've thought about trying it but I usually get there between 9 and 10pm and they seem to close early. Chipotle to the rescue.

Wallyum
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Sun, 09/24/06 8:55 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Robin Hood

I've been to the Salsaritas off Buttermilk twice. It is pretty much the same as Qdoba and the others except that they have a bar where you can get margaritas, etc. I think it is slightly more expensive than the other burrito places.

I've never seen or heard of Qdoba. Do they have a local presence? Salsarita's was okay, better than Moe's, better variety than Chipotle. That said, if I want a burrito, I'm still considering myself a Chipotle guy. As for the Buttermilk location of Salsarita's, I'd say you'd better try it quick if you plan to try it. We were there at 6:00 last night and the place was a tomb.

Wallyum
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Sun, 09/24/06 8:57 PM
quote:
Originally posted by pilotwmn

There is a new Thai place on 42 across from Wildwood Inn, it's in the old Long John Silvers.

I worked at this LJS location when I was in college. Horrible place, full of nasty memories and stomach turning odors. It's a wonder I can look seafood in the eye these days.

tpd
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Tue, 09/26/06 9:08 PM
Tried another Vietnamese place on the north side of town...

Le's is on Cresentville Rd. at 747 just north of Tri County Mall in the same complex as Gold Star.

Not really impressed. Got there at 8pm and the place was dead. The one guy working there had to turn the lights on in the kitchen to make my order. Had spring rolls, beef vermicelli and took a banh mi sandwich home for later.

The spring rolls didn't have much flavor and seemed to be mostly filled with rice noodles. There wasn't much beef or shrimp involved. The beef in the vermicelli had more of a boiled texture to it than the char broiled pork I am used to. The pork bahn mi was good but not great. Also, the nuoc mam that came with the rolls and the beef was very strong and almost unpleasant to my western palate. I'm no expert so this may be more authentic but just not for me.

Overall I would highly recommend driving a few miles north and hitting Chopsticks on Tylersville at 75. They have yet to serve me something I didn't enjoy and the charbroiled pork has me looking into a 12 step program.

To change the subject, where does a person get a good fish taco in this town. Amigos on RT. 4 across from Taqueria Mercado had them but they've closed. I've also had them at Montoya's on Buttermilk but would like to find somewhere on the north side to get a fix. Fried fish is good but grilled would be even better.

Cheers-

Tom

jjjrfoodie
  • Total Posts : 422
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Sat, 09/30/06 12:40 PM
quote:
Originally posted by soozycue520

From Today's CIncinnati Enquirer:

MOON RETURNS

Pacific Moon on the Levee opens today. The new restaurant in Newport from Alex Chin and Barbara Chin, formerly in Montgomery, serves Chinese food at dinner, lunch and late night, plus offer dim sum on weekends. It's in the upstairs location at Newport on the Levee that originally housed Bamboo Club.

Late night dining will feature sushi and small plates, with live music or DJs until 2 a.m. Traditional dim sum will not be offered for the first few months, but some dim sum items are on the regular menu.

Pacific Moon opens to the public at 4 p.m. today. Hours are 11 a.m.-2:30 a.m. daily, with the full dinner menu served until 10 p.m. Sunday-Thursday and 11 p.m. Friday and Saturday, after which the late night menu will be served until 2 a.m. 859-261-6666.

Yeah, Alex did a cameo (alone) on WXIX 19 on Friday morning demo-ing the cold lobster roll. Kinda fubar'd it up, which cemented the fact that his best place is not in the kitchen. Said the restaurant should be open this weekend and dim sum up and running in a few weeks.

We'll see how it goes...
(I for one miss the stuff and am wildly addicted to the dim sum offereings)

jjjrfoodie

mcunnin777
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Sun, 10/1/06 3:30 AM
Wallyum and Suburban Dad:

If you want the best buritto in Cincinnati, hands down, go to the Comet in Northside. It is located at 4579 Hamilton Ave (513) 541-8900.

The Comet is not a restaurant but a bar with a kitchen. David, the Owner used to live in the Barrio (Mission District) in San Francisco and this is where he learned to make the San Francisco style buritto that they sell.

The burittos are about the size of a small child and they are absolutely delicious. They make about 10 different kinds including a Tofo buritto which is as good as any of the meat burittos. They also have Quesadillas and a few other dishes. I especially like their Chile Con Queso with chicked added. All of their salsas are homemade and they also feature a salusa of the month. Here is a link to their menu:

http://www.cometbar.com/2006_menu.htm

Being a bar the kitchen dosn't open until 4:00pm daily but the good news is they serve food until 1:00am. Children are welcome in the afternoon and early evenings. As if the food wasn't a good enough reason to stop by, on Sundays evening starting about 7:30 they offer the best Bluegrass music in Cincinnati. Featuring the 4 time Cammy Award winning "Comet Blugrass Allstars".

Sandy Thruthegarden
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Sun, 10/1/06 5:30 PM
Has anyone seen any reference to food vendors at Tall Stacks? I've looked at the website and the supplement on Tall Stacks in today's Enquirer and have seen no specific references to food available. We only spent an afternoon there the last time and we didn't look for food. Would anyone who went to the previous ones let me know what kind of eats were available? We're planning to do the whole event this time.

Thanks!

Sandy

soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Sun, 10/1/06 9:33 PM
quote:

Has anyone seen any reference to food vendors at Tall Stacks? I've looked at the website and the supplement on Tall Stacks in today's Enquirer and have seen no specific references to food available. We only spent an afternoon there the last time and we didn't look for food. Would anyone who went to the previous ones let me know what kind of eats were available? We're planning to do the whole event this time.

Thanks!

Sandy

Sandy~

I did the entire "Tall Stacks" event the last time. The music was fabulous!! The boats were cool!!! I took my grandkids one day and they had fun.

But, I have to say, the food was unremarkable. I think there was a BBQ booth, some hamburgers and hot dogs, and definitely a blooming onion {which I DID eat}. My SO said he remembers eating a great dessert. There were coneys, but not Skyline or Gold Star.

What I am trying to say is, from what I recall, there were a number of generic food booths that were not obviously affliated with any restaurant. There was nothing distinctly "Cincinnati" {not that most Cincinnatians would want what they can get everyday}.

There was nothing unusual or different, food wise. Things may be different this time around, but I haven't heard anything.

However, I believe the best thing the Tall Stacks organizers did was incorpoate music. I saw some fabulous musicians, and some fabulous river boats. It is a great festival, just not a food festival.

That being said, if you bought a pass, you can come and go as you please. You can always walk across the Purple People Bridge, or go uptown, and eat, and then go back. Try Campanello's on Central Ave. for Italian.

There are a lot of good musicians to experience. I am kind of upset that the two I really wanted to see are playing at the same time {Sat. night ~ John Hiatt and Delbert McClinton}. Why would they put two greats on different stages at the same time?? {just my humble opinion!}

Enjoy!!! Tall Stacks is a great bargain for the price!!

Wallyum
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Mon, 10/2/06 8:09 AM
quote:
Originally posted by mcunnin777

Wallyum and Suburban Dad:

If you want the best buritto in Cincinnati, hands down, go to the Comet in Northside. It is located at 4579 Hamilton Ave (513) 541-8900.

The Comet is not a restaurant but a bar with a kitchen. David, the Owner used to live in the Barrio (Mission District) in San Francisco and this is where he learned to make the San Francisco style buritto that they sell.

The burittos are about the size of a small child and they are absolutely delicious. They make about 10 different kinds including a Tofo buritto which is as good as any of the meat burittos. They also have Quesadillas and a few other dishes. I especially like their Chile Con Queso with chicked added. All of their salsas are homemade and they also feature a salusa of the month. Here is a link to their menu:

http://www.cometbar.com/2006_menu.htm

Being a bar the kitchen dosn't open until 4:00pm daily but the good news is they serve food until 1:00am. Children are welcome in the afternoon and early evenings. As if the food wasn't a good enough reason to stop by, on Sundays evening starting about 7:30 they offer the best Bluegrass music in Cincinnati. Featuring the 4 time Cammy Award winning "Comet Blugrass Allstars".

I've been told about this place for a few years now, but I've never managed to get up that way. My bar days have kind of faded into history, a fact that was rammed home on Saturday night after a 30th reunion of my grade school class. Four of us made the trip to a local bar, which was my first since I quit playing softball for the Skyline Tavern a few years back. I wasn't uncomfortable, but I've definitely lost my feeling for that life. That said, I'll eventually make it to The Comet some night when I have the right dinner companion. My wife and kids aren't the adventurous type.

TJ Jackson
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Mon, 10/2/06 9:33 AM
Was posted elsewhere (http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15629), but will re-post here
quote:
Originally posted by hailstate

Drove by Jimmy's Bar-B-Q last night (Saturday) in Hartwell/Wyoming and the sign said "Closed, Thank You". I thought this was crazy because the night before, they were packed. So I called their number and they said they were now closed for business. This is sad to see. It was excellent bar-b-que but they seemed to spread themself too thin. Every night they had something different on the menu as a special...salmon, meatloaf etc. They needed to stick to one thing...great bar-b-que and go with it.

Also, they needed to cut down on portion size and drop the prices slightly. Way too much food to possibly eat.

Great people ran this place and put a lot of time and effort into this place. I am sad to see them go. Good luck all at Jimmy's!!! We will miss you.

Robin Hood
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Mon, 10/2/06 11:40 AM
The Cincinnati Originals are having something called October Feast on the 26th.

More info here: http://www.myspeakerscorner.com/forum/index.phtml?fn=77

soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Tue, 10/3/06 11:43 AM
More info on Tall Stacks food. The article says they will have a "Best of Cincinnati" tent, but the rest of the food is all from one concessionaire:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061002/LIFE/310020012/-1/back01

Sandy Thruthegarden
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Wed, 10/4/06 8:58 AM
quote:

More info on Tall Stacks food. The article says they will have a "Best of Cincinnati" tent, but the rest of the food is all from one concessionaire:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061002/LIFE/310020012/-1/back01

Sooz -

Thanks for your helpful responses. That link elucidated the situation. I was hoping for some Pit To Plate Q (available at the Cincy Blues Festival) but it appears that's not in the cards. Looks like we may be strolling uptown to try TJ's favorite burger at Madonna's, or over the bridge for Cafe Istanbul or Pacific Moon. Perhaps we can get to the Mansion Hill Tavern. There is apparently a short-hop shuttle circulating through the Tall Stacks area that may expand our choices.

Thanks, again.

Sandy

TJ Jackson
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Wed, 10/4/06 9:31 AM
If given the choice between Madonna's and Mansion Hill, go to Mansion Hill :-)

tpd
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Wed, 10/4/06 7:27 PM
Hey Soozycue..

John Hiatt and Delbert McClinton are Friday night according to the schedule I have... Wouldn't want you to miss it.

soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Wed, 10/4/06 11:25 PM
quote:
Originally posted by tpd

Hey Soozycue..

John Hiatt and Delbert McClinton are Friday night according to the schedule I have... Wouldn't want you to miss it.

Oops, not Saturday , but.., Friday, Oct. 6th
Edyth and Carl Linder Stage Delbert McClinton 10:05 - 11:15pm
Great American Insurance Stage John Hiatt 10:45pm - 12 am

If you haven't been there, it IS impossible to navigate the crowds, and see them both.

Thanks, tpd, for the info, but I wouldn't attempt it on Friday or Saturday.

Sandy Thruthegarden
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Thu, 10/5/06 9:34 AM
We went to Tall Stacks yesterday evening and stayed until midnight. We took the civilized Park and Ride option and got to TS quickly and with no stress. It was crowded but you could move back and forth between stages easily. Food choices were limited and we agreed that we will need to seek out other options beyond the TS venue. What's available includes generic dogs, brats, and burgers as well as: Montgomery Inn with pulled pork and chicken and Saratoga chips; Skyline Chili; Barleycorn's with a few of their menu items; a booth selling pork chop sandwiches, Schmidt's of Columbus, OH, purveying Bahama Mamas and cream puffs, a couple of other booths with German specialties, a vendor selling Caribbean food including jerk chicken and crab cakes, Graeter's ice cream, and Dove bars.

We managed to miss the Schmidt's booth on our first pass but we were in the mood for German and tried a couple of the other booths. Bill wanted the chicken and noodles advertized on one of the signs but they didn't have any, so he settled for cabbage and noodles which was pretty tasty. I ordered pork and sauerkraut at the other booth and got a hot, heaping bowl of well-seasoned roast pork and sauerkraut for $6.00. The server kept pressing it down and piling on more, and the pork was plentiful so it was a good deal and very tasty. There were bay leaves in it and another smaller leaf that I thought might be basil...very savory and filling. Later Bill got a fried garlic bologna sandwich which he found to be good. The booth I patronized was Cafe Mozart of Canton, OH. I assume this is a real restaurant? How sad when Cincinnati has to import German food from Canton, OH. The beer of Tall Stacks is Bud, whether you like it or not. You pay in cash, no tickets necessary. Sobriety will not be a problem. Bill allowed as how we shared "a $30.00 six-pack".

The music we heard was great. Buckwheat Zydeco was a good time but, as Bill observed, it's a party band they had playing at 4:30 in the afternoon. It was too sunny and everyone was too sober for the band to be appreciated to the fullest extent. Asleep at the Wheel did a great set. We enjoyed Chis Smither but his set was low-key and he should have been scheduled for earlier in the evening. Bettye Lavette was just awesome...she gave a soulful and vivid performance. She was all over the stage and put every song over with great feeling. She had the audience in the palm of her hand. Her voice is also strong and true despite years in the business. Although her voice is a little past its peak, she had the guts to end with an a capella tune...impressive. And Reverend Al Green had everyone smiling, singing and moving despite the rain that began just after his set started. He hit some notes that answered his own question: "Has the reverend still got it???"

Hope this weather clears. I'm ready to go back.

TJ, thanks for the recommendation of Mansion Hill. We'll try to get there during the festival.

Sandy

tpd
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Sun, 10/8/06 3:54 AM
Took a break from TS on Friday between Robin Lacy and John Hiatt and walked over the the Mansion Hill Tavern. Got there about 8:15 but got shut out on the burgers (they had gone through all the ground beef for the day). Did have a pretty good fish sandwich and some tasty fries. The only issue I had was that the fish didn't really fill the bread it was served on. It was more a log than a fillet but on regular rye bread.

Went back across the purple bridge and had to try a Schmidt's bratt. Good but not great and not quite hot enough. Finally found the good beer just north of the main stage and had a Red Hook ESB while enjoying a solo John Hiatt.

Not a bad day...

Tom

Sandy Thruthegarden
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Sun, 10/8/06 9:29 AM
quote:
Originally posted by tpd

Hey Soozycue..

We caught Delbert McClinton on Friday night and he (and his impressive band) put on a great show. It was probably the longest set at Tall Stacks, so far. I believe he was ready to play all night, like somebody who'd earned his experience playing in bars (no doubt).
Big fun. Today we're headed out to see the Blind Boys of Alabama, Charlie Musselwhite, and Buddy Guy. Might try to catch some of Marcia Ball and Dr. John in between.

soozycue - there is a sort of "bypass" behind the food booths that has allowed us to get from one end to the other pretty quickly. I hope it's still relatively less-trafficked today.

tpd - I might look for a Red Hook this evening although we've really cut back on beer consumption, and not just because of the cost. I counted up the bathroom stalls and there are approximately 34 stalls per gender available in the entertainment area. Obviously this is totally inadequate for the anticipated attendance of one million. The lines to the womens' bathrooms are very long and the condition deteriorates rapidly after the sun goes down. I have no idea what the planners were thinking: provide lots of beer booths and strolling beer vendors on the front end and then provide inadequate facilities on the other end...doh!

Robin Hood
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Mon, 10/9/06 9:19 AM
Seeking recommendations for a really good german bakery. Busken pastries are terrible. Would prefer one close to downtown or in Northern Kentucky, but I will drive anywhere for some good danish, kuchen, and strudel.

Sandy Thruthegarden
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Mon, 10/9/06 9:39 AM
quote:

Seeking recommendations for a really good german bakery. Busken pastries are terrible. Would prefer one close to downtown or in Northern Kentucky, but I will drive anywhere for some good danish, kuchen, and strudel.

Servatii's is probably your best bet. They have several locations in Cincinnati and some of their products are available at Kremer's Market on Buttermilk in Crescent Springs, KY although the selection there is limited (batards and some pastries). Here's a link for Servatii's:

www.servatiipastryshop.com/

Robin Hood
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Mon, 10/9/06 11:57 AM
Thanks for the quick response. I've been to Servatti's. It was ok, but not what I was looking for. I am looking for something like Plehn's Bakery in Louisville.

sudie
  • Total Posts : 228
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Mon, 10/9/06 12:17 PM
Have you tried Shadeau Bakery downtown.? They have great German rye and schnecken, and various other pastries depending on what they're baking that day. Good chocolate babka.

TJ Jackson
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Mon, 10/9/06 12:38 PM

Robin Hood
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Mon, 10/9/06 1:18 PM
Yes, I have been to Shadeau and Bernhards. Shadeau is good, but not exactly what I am looking for. When I went to Bernhards it was later in the morning, and there wasn't much left that looked good. I will try them earlier in the am to give them a fair shake.

soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Tue, 10/10/06 12:05 AM
Thanks Sandy and Tom for the Tall Stacks reports.

I really am kinda sorry I didn't go this time around. I heard a lot of great reports from people, but also a lot of complaints about the bathroom situation. Obviously not good planning on that front. I also heard a lot of people say there were a lot of overly intoxicated souls there, especially later in the evening.

All in all, it sounds like it was a success! {{Next time, maybe it would be nice if they put a little more thought into the food concessions, though}}

wreckless1
  • Total Posts : 23
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Wed, 10/11/06 2:22 AM
Wanted to mention Ba Ba india in norwalk ...has a sister resterant which has been rated number 1 in cinci for indian ,,,,for a good reason ,, baba has a lunch buffet which was fairly cheap as i remember .... what i do remember was being happy so the price probably 7 or 8 bucks a person never entered my head ..... and I'm cheap ....
The place is a converted arby's wendys or burger king kind of joint, but definatly nicely redone to give it an appearance of a real resterant ...carpet nice booths ,tablecloths and glass...not the dump it looks like from the outside and the food is a yummy treat.....definatly a pick for us and we live 45 miles away....

TJ Jackson
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Wed, 10/11/06 8:27 AM
brief and respectful correction:

Baba India is in a converted former Hardee's in Oakley.

You may have meant Norwood - which is just to the west of Oakley - where you wrote Norwalk.

Robin Hood
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Thu, 10/12/06 12:17 PM
I apologize for being too lazy to re=read the entire thread to find this information, but where is the Mansion Hill Tavern in Newport?

soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Thu, 10/12/06 12:39 PM
quote:

I apologize for being too lazy to re=read the entire thread to find this information, but where is the Mansion Hill Tavern in Newport?

It's at 502 Washington {5th and Washington}, one block north of Pompilio's.

I'm sure TJ can probably link you to the pictures of their burger!

At night, this is a smoky blues bar. If you like that {which I do}, it is a great place to see some of the best blues artists in the area.

Robin Hood
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Thu, 10/12/06 1:58 PM
perfect . . . and within walking distance of mi casa.

TJ Jackson
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Thu, 10/12/06 3:15 PM
re: Mansion Hill Tavern http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6632#187902

They do not serve food at night except on the weekends, as I understand it. Call to confirm.....

Sandy Thruthegarden
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Thu, 10/12/06 3:19 PM
quote:

quote:

At night, this is a smoky blues bar. If you like that {which I do}, it is a great place to see some of the best blues artists in the area.

Such as whom, pray tell? This sounds interesting.

Thanks.

Sandy

soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Thu, 10/12/06 4:43 PM
quote:

quote:

quote:

Such as whom, pray tell? This sounds interesting.

Thanks.

Sandy

Here is the City Beat listings for this week:
http://citybeat.com/gyrobase/music/MusicListings?searchExclude=performer&searchPhrase=Mansion%20Hill%20Tavern

I know they have an Open Jam on Sunday Nights. I really haven't been for a while. I used to go to see Blue Lou and the Accusations. The Open Jam used to be a blast, too {I'm sure it still is}.

As TJ stated, I don't think they serve food in the evenings {except Fri. & maybe Sat.}, but there are lots of places close to eat.

buffetbuster
  • Total Posts : 9776
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Fri, 10/13/06 10:09 AM
I was visiting my Cincy buddy quite a few years back and he took me to a nice little breakfast spot called, I think, Sugar 'n Spice. Is it still around? How are their lunches and dinners?

Sorry if this place has been mentioned in this thread before. I honestly did look, but it is so long, I very well might have missed it.

TJ Jackson
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Fri, 10/13/06 10:39 AM
Sugar n Spice is still around and is excellent - probably the best kept secret in Cincinnati

They have traditionally only been open breakfast and lunch hours, closing by 1-2pm or so, but recently started offerring dinners. I always get brekfst when I go there, as they are so good, and so I cannot vouch for the quality of anything else

adancey
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Fri, 10/13/06 3:51 PM
When we are roadtrippin' south from Columbus, we always make a stop at the Anchor Grill in Covington, KY, right across the river from Cincy (438 W. Pike St.) I recommend the GLT, or Goetta Lettuce & Tomato sandwich. Heavenly!

Sandy Thruthegarden
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Sat, 10/14/06 8:23 AM
quote:

http://citybeat.com/gyrobase/music/MusicListings?searchExclude=performer&searchPhrase=Mansion%20Hill%20Tavern

I know they have an Open Jam on Sunday Nights. I really haven't been for a while. I used to go to see Blue Lou and the Accusations. The Open Jam used to be a blast, too {I'm sure it still is}.

As TJ stated, I don't think they serve food in the evenings {except Fri. & maybe Sat.}, but there are lots of places close to eat.

Thanks for the link. Looks interesting indeed.

TJ Jackson
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Sun, 10/15/06 6:38 PM
This was posted in the BBQ in Cincinnati thread, but bears reposting here

----------------
from soozycue520
Two closings to report:

First is Ray's Northside Grille. I know I was the only person to rave about this place. I went there this morning for real stone-ground grits, and was very disappointed to find it closed. The sign on the door said there were "partnership" issues, and they would try to reopen soon. Where I am going to get real grits in Cincy? They did BBQ in a smoker in back, too.

The second, and most important to Roadfooders, is Junebug's BBQ. A friend went on Monday to find it closed. I went by there today, and the place is now called "Chris's Corner". I have no idea if they serve BBQ or not. I can't say I'm surprised it's closed, but I'm very dissappointed.

Two more, I'm sorry to say, bite the dust.
----------------

Both will be missed, although I never made it over to Ray's. I am particularly sad for Junebug, and figure that the high profile events involving his brother probably impacted business, despite the fact that Junebug himself probably had little or nothing to do with it.

wreckless1
  • Total Posts : 23
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Tue, 10/17/06 2:46 PM
Thanks for the correcion Tj:
Obviously you've been there ...
When we eatin cincy it's the only place we go...
there are not too many places we eat that we can recommend and we travel alot so this site has been helpful....
So again i say...
BaBa India in oakley..// near norwood ...on madison road great lunch buffet,great food overall....

soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Wed, 10/18/06 12:59 AM
quote:

quote:

Thanks for the link. Looks interesting indeed.

Sandy~~

As far as I know, the Open Jam on Sunday at Mansion Hill Tavern is still all about the best blues musicians in the Cincy area.

I don't get over to NKY as often as I used to, so I can't say for sure, but "Open Jams" at "established" establishments, can assure GOOD MUSIC!!!

I cannot guarantee great roadfood, but, good music is guaranteed!

{And, good RoadFood, really isn't far away!!!}

TJ Jackson
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Wed, 10/18/06 8:55 AM
True enough. Pompilio's just a block away to the south, and the Green Derby is not too far either

Wallyum
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Fri, 10/20/06 6:41 AM
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

True enough. Pompilio's just a block away to the south, and the Green Derby is not too far either

Pompilio's is still a worthwhile trip, but the Derby has been cruising on past rep for years. (Unless there's been some recent change I don't know about.) They struggled to reach ordinary on my last trip there, and it used to be a favorite. Very much in the Greyhound Grill, Hitching Post category these days.

Robin Hood
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Fri, 10/20/06 11:57 AM
Are you speaking of the Greyhound Tavern in Ft. Mitchell? I am some wickedly good fried chicken there last week. I mean really really good.

Wallyum
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Sat, 10/21/06 1:30 PM
quote:

Are you speaking of the Greyhound Tavern in Ft. Mitchell? I am some wickedly good fried chicken there last week. I mean really really good.

Yeah, it's the same place. I must have caught them on a series of bad nights. I'm not a fried chicken fan, but I've heard that they have a good reputation for that. No matter. They've long since disappeared from my list of potential dinner picks.

Sandy Thruthegarden
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Sat, 10/21/06 5:09 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Wallyum

quote:

Yeah, it's the same place. I must have caught them on a series of bad nights. I'm not a fried chicken fan, but I've heard that they have a good reputation for that. No matter. They've long since disappeared from my list of potential dinner picks.

Actually I think that Greyhound's fried chicken and fried cod are still very good. I haven't ordered anything else in a long time so I can't vouch for the rest of the menu.

startrooper00
  • Total Posts : 110
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Sat, 10/21/06 6:57 PM
I love Greyhound Tavern's fried chicken... So much better than I have ever tried. I so miss living up in Northern Kentucky...Now I have to travel 3 hours to get that chicken...

soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Thu, 11/2/06 4:59 PM
quote:

Robin,

Here is an article from this week's City Beat that might fit what you are looking for:

http://www.citybeat.com/current/lookwhos.shtml

Look Who's Eating

Armin and Melanie Hack, owners of Frieda's Bakery

By LORA ARDUSER

Armin Hack, co-owner of Frieda's Bakery
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Master pastry chef Armin Hack is an artist. His medium? Belgian chocolate and layers of fresh puff pastry. A fourth-generation pastry chef, Armin started his training in Germany at the ripe old age of 5 while playing in his father's bakery. Today, he and his wife Melanie offer made-from-scratch scones, croissants and schnecken, but they want to give us something more, something truly fine. That's why, as Melanie says, "We decided to focus on what Armin's bliss is about -- fine European pastries and chocolates."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frieda's Bakery, 6927 Miami Ave., Madeira, 513-272-0939.

soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Tue, 11/14/06 3:13 AM
Just for good measure~~
Here is a reminder that McCormick's and Schmick's is opening on Friday, Nov. 17th at 4pm. I know it's nothing to cheer about, but they are supposedly having $1.95 appetizers {during happy hour, with a drink minimum}~~

SEAFOOD CHAIN OPENS NEXT WEEK

McCormick & Schmick's opens next Friday at 4 p.m., bringing a wide range of fresh seafood to downtown. The restaurant was founded in Portland, Ore., and now is in 65 locations around the country. Here, it's in the Westin Hotel at the corner of Fifth and Vine.

All the McCormick & Schmick's restaurants look different, with the layout dictated by the building they're in. This one will feature Cincinnati-themed stained glass.

Menus also vary from city to city, and from day to day. It's printed twice daily to reflect availability of fish and other seafood (at least 30 kinds daily), along with nonseafood dishes.

Typical selections are smoked salmon lox on lavosh with Swedish cucumber salad, mahi mahi cakes with peanut sauce, Jake's étouffée, swordfish tostadas, cashew-breaded tilapia and shrimp a la Diavolo. There are always several varieties of oysters.

McCormick and Schmick's is also known for its drinks and $1.95 bar appetizers.

Regular hours are 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday-Thursday; 11 a.m.-11 p.m. Friday; 4-11 p.m. Saturday; 4-10 p.m. Sunday. Reservations taken. 21 E. Fifth St., 513-721-9339;

www.mccormickandschmicks.com.

dlawson
  • Total Posts : 237
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Wed, 11/15/06 11:46 AM
Northside resident here. I've been a lurker for quite a while, and wouldn't have known about Mac's if it wasn't for this thread. My wife and I eat out constantly, so I was aware of just about everything else. ;)

We've been going to Mac's for months, and it's been excellent every time...until this past weekend. The menu has been revamped, featuring several more specialty pizzas and, unfortunately, higher prices across the board. The Macover is still worth it at any price, but I was extremely disappointed with the Saratoga Chips this time around. The portions were decreased, the price was increased by almost $2.00, the chips were overdone, and the barbecue sauce was some Kraft Krap instead of the usual Montgomery Inn sauce. Draught beer selection has increased and improved, but overall, I'm upset that it isn't the excellent value that it once was.

I'll be sure to post my thoughts on some of the other Northside and Clifton restaurants we visit regularly, including Honey, Melt, Habanero, and Cilantro. And I promise that you will never find me singing the praises of Quatman's or the Queen City Restaurant Group. Bella was the source of a lot of good memories for us, and I'm sad to see it go.

TJ Jackson
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Wed, 11/15/06 1:16 PM
Sorry to hear about Mac's. Purely coincidentally, I was in that neighborhood yesterday and was glad to see they were still open. You never know with a new business.

I woner if he (Mac) ever implemented making dough on premises? He was getting it from Gimminetti's in Walnut Hills, but had bought an industrial mixer over a year ago or more.

That said, my stop last night was at Chicago Gyro, within an easy stone's throw of Mac's, because I had heard they had one of the best gyros in town. Man, what a disappoinment - greasy and mushy. Sebastian's is the best in town, hands down.

dlawson
  • Total Posts : 237
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Wed, 11/15/06 4:17 PM
I have yet to eat at Chicago. I tried to go once, but was in a bit of a hurry, and the length of the line, coupled with them accepting cash only, consipred against me that day. I am told that they will soon be retooling the menu and adding an Italian Beef sandwich, which has a Chicago transplant co-worker of mine quite excited.

He is already in love with the Chicago dogs at Dink's downtown, which I am also a fan of. The operating hours of 11-4 is my only complaint with Dink's, but I can't blame them, considering the current state of downtown dining. Limited hours are better than none. At least Shanghai Mama's continues to buck the trend. I used to live three blocks from them, and I am a patron for life, mine or theirs. Hopefully mine.

On a separate Asian dining note, we dined at Pacific Moon's new location at the Levee two weeks ago. I had dined at the original location years ago and don't remember it being as similar to P.F. Chang's as it is now. That's neither a compliment nor a complaint; like P.F. Chang's, I found it acceptable, nothing more. The sticky rice bag wrapped in a lotus leaf is well worth the $3.00 upcharge, however.

TJ Jackson
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) - Wed, 11/15/06 4:25 PM
Welcome to the boards, DL

Dink's was featured in the cover story this past week in The Downtowner. The owner, Ken, is super nice.

I don't like Shanghai Mamas for the prices and the guy out front who decides where you're going to sit - very pushy fellow

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 7 of 54, messages 361 to 420 of 3216