AnsweredHot!WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Page: << < ..7677787980.. > >> Showing page 76 of 110 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
baughman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 116
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/07/12 23:57:30 (permalink)
also I dont list the many chili parlors as a hotdog fix. Figured I should post that real quick hehe
vudutu
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 23
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/07/13 10:40:52 (permalink)
"I live near the old ZZ's Pizza locale at Gilbert & Florence Aves.  I saw some people fixing up the outside of the building a couple of weeks back, and then @ a week ago a banner was put up saying "ZZ's Pizza Opening Soon".  I haven't heard anything about this.  Anyone else?  Their pizza was very good ~ kinda California gourmet pizza-ish.  I hope it is just as good."

Good to hear, there was some buzz that someone was going to reopen it about 15 months ago but then I never heard any more, heck of an act to follow though. I PRAY, they got the recipes.

Alco251
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 74
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/07/13 17:01:31 (permalink)
baughman

Just wondering if anyone has hit the Wiener hous. Or if it is still open?  It is run by the guys who own the German butchershop in NK that once supplied the houfbrou(sp) hous before they switched to a cheaper supplier.

Right now the only place I can get a Hot dog fix is Hot Doggin It. While there dog is good. Its not amazing( only place I can find that will make me a chicago dog tho). Was hoping a place run by german butchers might have to have some amazing wursts!

did a search on here and came up nothing for wiener hous. Could be spelling it wrong or misnaming it tho. I tend to do that alot

For more Chicago goodness, go to Chicago Joe's in Greenhills, they have the full Vienna Beef lineup, including Polish and Italian Sausages.

The whole German Butcher Shop/Weiner Haus empire flamed out over a year ago, for wurst needs, there are a number of shops in Findlay Market, if you can't your favorite sausage there, it is seriously obscure. 
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4593
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/07/14 10:28:03 (permalink)
Miscellany:

The Green Derby (venerable fried fish place in Newport) has closed after 62 years in business.  Polly had originally reported it might be temporary, but it appears to be done-zo.
http://nky.cincinnati.com/article/AB/20090713/ENT01/907140316

A new sushi place opening downtown across from Cold Turkey
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090710/BIZ01/907110333/Downtown+getting+sushi+spot

Popular half priced sushi deal at Aqua gone, other changes as well
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=blog31&plckController=Blog&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&U=6c063c5c-f0be-4620-af69-514709d1a587&plckPostId=Blog%3a6c063c5c-f0be-4620-af69-514709d1a587Post%3a32966873-9604-48b4-9457-a5e49d4fec00&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest

Polly reports that a new italian restaurant has taken over the long-empty former Chili Company location on Cheviot Road
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=blog14&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3a1921648a-c77d-4218-b8c1-5af7ab309046Post%3af1893743-db31-41aa-99f9-b18ea139078d&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

My beloved Tan Thai has changed owners.  According to the staff member I spoke to, the change occurred about a month ago, and the new owner has no connection to the family that owns the Tan Thai in Springdale - so now the two eateries are connected only by name and history.  The staff appears to be the same, prices ad menu have not yet changed, but the portion size definitely went down and the food quality (albeit based only on todays lunch) has gone down as well.  Basil Fried rice without any basil, hmmmm.  This is a sad, sad development for me.  Update 7/16: picked up yakisoba to go today, inedible. 

Flo's Plate Full of Soul is moving as I write this from their original location in the former Patoschnik's to 915 Vine Street, which is about two blocks away, getting ever so slightly into Over the Rhine

I suspect this happened some time ago, and I just failed to note it, but the California Orange Bar across from Government Square has closed.  I remember I being there as early as 1975, and it could well have been there much earlier.

Also, Eminent Domain on The Levee continues to fall apart - http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/stories/2009/07/13/daily68.html
post edited by TJ Jackson - 2009/07/17 16:54:46
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3146
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/07/14 14:15:00 (permalink)
Roma sounds awfully good - I hope our lunchbunch will visit there before long.  I used to live within a few miles of their location.
Suburban Dad
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 38
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/07/14 19:48:55 (permalink)
Went to the new Sammy's Burgers in Blue Ash.  Must say I was very unimpressed.  Burgers cost anywhere from $8-10 and include fries.  Hot Dogs cost $3.50-$5.00.  The burger itself is very disappointing.  Wasn't cooked to requested temperature.  Meet appeared and tasted of low quality.  This was somewhat covered up by the toppings(which were very good) and the bun.  The hot dog itself was good, but served on an unimpressive bun.  Fries were ok, the garlic fries added much needed flavor(although u pay for it later).  All in all, I don't think I will be back.  Think the burger and fries are much better at Red Robin (similar concept as Sammy's), Five Guys (cheaper and much better tasting fries and burger with good selection of toppings; the hot dog at Five Guys is delicious as well), or Terry's.  I probably even enjoyed the burger at Cheezburger cafe in Symmes Township more.  Can always stop at Hot DogginIt as well to get my hot dog fix.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 535
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/07/15 21:49:53 (permalink)
Sorry to hear about the burger...that was the next thing I was going to try there. Sounds like we totally concur about the hot dogs.

Speaking of Hotdogginit, they're now selling frozen Gino's East pizzas (believe it or not, I've never had one before). We picked one up on Sunday, and it was pretty good.

The owner said she buys about 150 from them at a time. Business must be going well there.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18625
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/07/15 22:01:03 (permalink)
Seventy six pages on eating in Cincinnati? Damn! It's just the third largest city in Ohio. Who gives that much of a rat's patoot about eating in Cincinnati?

Drive over to Buena Vista, get a damned sandwich and relax.
post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2009/07/15 22:05:39
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/07/16 12:41:46 (permalink)
Almost as ingenious as your last post:

Michael Hoffman

After much study, careful thought and on the job research I have come to the conclusion that the best answer to the question of where to eat in Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky is anywhere else.

No, wait, that's ingenuous. But not unexpected from someone who makes his full name his handle.

Did it ever occur to you that a lot of people from the Cincinnati area might post on this board? You might've realized that if you weren't busy trolling.

In the future, can you please keep your counterproductive sophomoric comments to yourself, please? They do nothing to benefit the thread, and frankly, you live in Columbus, which makes it hard to understand why you would rip another city.
post edited by Bonk - 2009/07/16 12:50:25
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/07/17 22:17:36 (permalink)
Not really roadfood, but a little bird told me that a Beef O'Bradys will be opening on July 27 in Newport. I've heard their wings are awesome.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 249
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/07/19 21:52:59 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

Seventy six pages on eating in Cincinnati? Damn! It's just the third largest city in Ohio. Who gives that much of a rat's patoot about eating in Cincinnati?

Perhaps you wouldn't be so ornery if your town had professional teams in sports that actually matter.

I am jealous of your multiple Raising Cane's locations, though. They unfortunately have no plans to open any in Cincinnati.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/07/19 22:13:00 (permalink)
I hope you aren't referring to the Reds and Bungles.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/07/20 12:56:10 (permalink)
Found this article about the aforementioned Beef O Brady's.

jmckee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1188
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/07/21 09:55:43 (permalink)
Fuji Steak House is open in the Eastgate area. A guy I know took his family and tried the sushi. He says it's good --  not great, just good -- and he'd go again.

My son and I laugh every time we see the signs out front of Fuji: "Chef cooking in front of you", and "Having good food and fun the same time."
Euched
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 35
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/07/21 12:55:40 (permalink)
Suburban Dad

Went to the new Sammy's Burgers in Blue Ash.  Must say I was very unimpressed.  Burgers cost anywhere from $8-10 and include fries.  Hot Dogs cost $3.50-$5.00.  The burger itself is very disappointing.  Wasn't cooked to requested temperature.  Meet appeared and tasted of low quality.  This was somewhat covered up by the toppings(which were very good) and the bun.  The hot dog itself was good, but served on an unimpressive bun.  Fries were ok, the garlic fries added much needed flavor(although u pay for it later).  All in all, I don't think I will be back.  Think the burger and fries are much better at Red Robin (similar concept as Sammy's), Five Guys (cheaper and much better tasting fries and burger with good selection of toppings; the hot dog at Five Guys is delicious as well), or Terry's.  I probably even enjoyed the burger at Cheezburger cafe in Symmes Township more.  Can always stop at Hot DogginIt as well to get my hot dog fix.

I went to Sammy's Burgers in Blue Ash today for lunch...  I actually had quite a different experience with the burgers.  My hamburger itself was quite tasty, the beef tasted of good quality beef and was well seasoned.  The toppings on the burger were fresh and the bun was also good.  I didn't try the french fries even though they come with the burgers, I opted to upgrade to the onion rings which reminded me a lot of the ones at BW3's.  Knowing that it was the same owner there as at El Pueblo in Blue Ash I tried the Guacamole Burger hoping that it was the same guacamole as El Pueblo and was not disappointed in the least.

The other three people that I went there with all agreed with me and we will definitely be going back again to try some of the other burgers there.
Soccer862923
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 208
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/07/21 14:51:40 (permalink)
Euched

Suburban Dad

I went to Sammy's Burgers in Blue Ash today for lunch...  I actually had quite a different experience with the burgers.  My hamburger itself was quite tasty, the beef tasted of good quality beef and was well seasoned.  The toppings on the burger were fresh and the bun was also good.  I didn't try the french fries even though they come with the burgers, I opted to upgrade to the onion rings which reminded me a lot of the ones at BW3's.  Knowing that it was the same owner there as at El Pueblo in Blue Ash I tried the Guacamole Burger hoping that it was the same guacamole as El Pueblo and was not disappointed in the least.

The other three people that I went there with all agreed with me and we will definitely be going back again to try some of the other burgers there.

This is a place I am gonna try when I get back to Ohio in a couple of weeks. Probably the Saturday after as I have the obligated Wednesday stop at "The Pub". Gotta finish that pub passport before my dad.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/07/21 19:40:09 (permalink)
jmckee

Fuji Steak House is open in the Eastgate area. A guy I know took his family and tried the sushi. He says it's good --  not great, just good -- and he'd go again.

My son and I laugh every time we see the signs out front of Fuji: "Chef cooking in front of you", and "Having good food and fun the same time."

I have noticed not a whole lot of vehicles in their parking lot severals times I passed by since they opened during lunch and dinner hours.

Robin Hood
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 101
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/07/22 08:46:17 (permalink)
Andy's Mediterranean Grill.  Wow, what a major dissapointment.  My wife is Lebanese so we know the cuisine well.  What we experienced here was mediocre food with the exception of a very good kibbeh.  The real issue was the price.  Dinner for two adults and a child was $85 with tip.  This was for a bowl of olives, three entrees and three sodas.  No wine, no appetizers, no sides, and no dessert.  This meal would have been acceptable if it cost about half that much.  I am not a cheapskate or stickler for prices.  I regularly dine at high end places like Boca or Ruby's where I will happily plunk down some major coin for a good dinner, but Andy's was a total rip-off.  I can't imagine ever returning here again unless they seriously revise their prices.  My entree cost $22 for two skewers of cubed lamb shoulder (the cheapest cut available) with maybe 4-5 pieces per skewer and some rice.  Seriously?  This dish might have cost the restaurant $2 to prepare. 
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/07/22 15:03:18 (permalink)
Robin Hood

Andy's Mediterranean Grill.  Wow, what a major dissapointment.  My wife is Lebanese so we know the cuisine well.  What we experienced here was mediocre food with the exception of a very good kibbeh.  The real issue was the price.  Dinner for two adults and a child was $85 with tip.  This was for a bowl of olives, three entrees and three sodas.  No wine, no appetizers, no sides, and no dessert.  This meal would have been acceptable if it cost about half that much.  I am not a cheapskate or stickler for prices.  I regularly dine at high end places like Boca or Ruby's where I will happily plunk down some major coin for a good dinner, but Andy's was a total rip-off.  I can't imagine ever returning here again unless they seriously revise their prices.  My entree cost $22 for two skewers of cubed lamb shoulder (the cheapest cut available) with maybe 4-5 pieces per skewer and some rice.  Seriously?  This dish might have cost the restaurant $2 to prepare. 
Our lunchbunch feels the same way about the cost, and the food being mediocre at best:

Delilah77
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/07/22 17:51:56 (permalink)
Robin Hood, Mirage at Harper's Station has a menu that is influenced by Russian, Armenian, Lebanese and Greek cuisine. The portions are generous and the prices are very reasonable. We've been there many times and the food is always very good.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/07/22 18:04:19 (permalink)
Delilah77

Robin Hood, Mirage at Harper's Station has a menu that is influenced by Russian, Armenian, Lebanese and Greek cuisine. The portions are generous and the prices are very reasonable. We've been there many times and the food is always very good.
We lunched there in 2005 and could not agree more with your comments.

arianej
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 205
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/07/23 00:47:39 (permalink)
NYPIzzaNut

They are like little pieces of heaven and they are not runny - they are cooked to perfection like all of her food.  Lightly breaded and succulent.

I wouldn't mind it a bit on the runny side, actually.  :)  Just as long as they aren't rubbery or chewy.  I can't stand overcooked seafood.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/07/23 22:03:03 (permalink)
arianej

NYPIzzaNut

They are like little pieces of heaven and they are not runny - they are cooked to perfection like all of her food.  Lightly breaded and succulent.

I wouldn't mind it a bit on the runny side, actually.  :)  Just as long as they aren't rubbery or chewy.  I can't stand overcooked seafood.

They are perfection personified.

westsider12
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 131
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/07/24 12:44:00 (permalink)
Has anyone been to the Japanese Steakhouse Sakura off of I74 at the Rybolt Rd exit?  Used to be Dante's but they changes owners a while back.  I have heard that they have excellent sushi as well a great teppanyaki show. 
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/07/27 15:26:16 (permalink)
Margarita's on Beechmont has an ominous "closed for remodeling" sign out front. We were going to go last week when we discovered this.

They have/had decent food -- I have to pick and choose with my picky-eater girlfriend, and Margarita's was a good compromise.

Hopefully it is indeed a remodeling, but I'm skeptical. 
sudie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 234
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/07/27 17:54:56 (permalink)
I had eaten at Andy's several times with girlfriends b/f  Playhouse in the Park productions.  A year or so ago, my husband and I decided to go there after a Music Hall performance.  We couldn't get waited on! I asked a passing server to find a server for us. No one ever materialized, even after another plea.  I think we were in customer Hell; you know that table in between stations that no one is responsible for.  After 45 minutes of no one waiting on us, we left.  I complained to the hostess on the way out (yes, I'm the mouthy one of the couple) and she just shrugged and continued to look at the TV.  I really had enjoyed it before, but there's no way I'd ever get my husband to go back there, and I'm not in the mood to patronize them again either.
soozycue520
  • Total Posts : 1031
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/07/27 19:49:16 (permalink)
I have to agree with everyone aout Andy's.  I believe I wrote a review here after the last time I ate there.  We were shocked by the menu prices, and when we saw the portion sizes of the entrees going to other tables, we decided to just order appetizers, which were small & over-priced, as well.

I also heard from someone that Andy was sitting at the bar one night talking to another person in Lebanese.  Someone in their party was fluent and said they were talking about the customers in a bad way.  The person said Andy thought no one would probably know what they were talking about, but should have been more careful about what was said.  He said he wouldn't go back, knowing how the owner felt about his customers.
soozycue520
  • Total Posts : 1031
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/07/27 19:55:21 (permalink)
Bonk

Margarita's on Beechmont has an ominous "closed for remodeling" sign out front. We were going to go last week when we discovered this.

They have/had decent food -- I have to pick and choose with my picky-eater girlfriend, and Margarita's was a good compromise.

Hopefully it is indeed a remodeling, but I'm skeptical. 

An article on Cincinnati.com today is about the closings of restaurants on Beechmont Ave..  It doesn't look promising for Margarita's.
http://communitypress.cincinnati.com/article/20090727/NEWS/907270314

johnbycz
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 26
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/07/28 12:01:18 (permalink)
Not a bad article, but how about, for once, attributing the closing of a restaurant to bad food, bad service o
soozycue520

An article on Cincinnati.com today is about the closings of restaurants on Beechmont Ave..  It doesn't look promising for Margarita's.
http://communitypress.cincinnati.com/article/20090727/NEWS/907270314

o; the food was boring and I had my doubts whether there was any liquor at all in the margarita. It could also be that Chipotle cut into Margarita's business.

In Anderson, our favorite eateries are Cafe Mediterranean, El Coyote (for margaritas, steaks and the carnitas fajitas), Anderson Township Pub (burgers and wings) and Pelican's Reef.
johnbycz
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 26
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/07/28 12:04:36 (permalink)
Sorry -- my message above got screwed up. What I was trying to say was that a bad economy -- or any economy -- preys on the weak, and restaurants close due to bad food, bad service or a tired formula. Main Moon was terrible, Margarita's was a big disappointment last time we ate there.
Page: << < ..7677787980.. > >> Showing page 76 of 110 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1