AnsweredHot!WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Page: << < ..7677787980.. > >> Showing page 77 of 110
Author
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 532
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/07/28 17:41:57 (permalink)
Dragon City, Tony Roma's and The Square Bubble -- all places I frequented -- have also shut down the last couple of years.

If Anderson Bar and Grill shuts down, I might go into severe depression. Best cheesesticks ever. I've never had a bad meal there.

What in the world happened to Famous Recipe? Before I moved here, that was a must-stop when I visited from Chicago. I've had it three times in the past five years -- terrible each time. I'll stick to Popeye's. And the one on Beechmont was a joke.
Alco251
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 74
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/07/28 18:01:09 (permalink)
Bonk
     What in the world happened to Famous Recipe? Before I moved here, that was a must-stop when I visited from Chicago. I've had it three times in the past five years -- terrible each time. I'll stick to Popeye's. And the one on Beechmont was a joke.

Famous Recipe seem to have lost control of their franchises.  They vary wildly in service and quality, I have found the best are Hartwell and Latonia, with Covington and Norwood not so much.  Also, the Popeyes in Woodlawn has very spotty service, FWIW.

NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3142
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/07/28 18:10:21 (permalink)
Alco251

Bonk

Famous Recipe seem to have lost control of their franchises.  They vary wildly in service and quality, I have found the best are Hartwell and Latonia, with Covington and Norwood not so much.  Also, the Popeyes in Woodlawn has very spotty service, FWIW.

Popeyes in Eastgate has had personnel problems and served either bad green beans to us last time there or somehow messed up the flavor - in either event they were plain awful and that is my favorite food there - more so than their fried chicken.  Also their red beans and rice is getting worse and worse - they skimp on the red beans mash and give you more rice which is kind of ridiculous and obscene.

post edited by NYPIzzaNut - 2009/07/28 22:01:49
Time for Pie
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 55
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/07/28 18:16:05 (permalink)
Famous Recipe pulled out of the Cincinnati area a while back (maybe 15 years ago), and when they returned, it was with stores that were far different from the previous stores.  And not "good different".  I really liked the catfish that the original stores had...the best fast-food fish around I thought.   I haven't been back since I tried at a new one (in Hartwell, I think)...the food was mediocre, the store dirty and they don't have catfish on the menu.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/07/28 18:25:28 (permalink)
Time for Pie

Famous Recipe pulled out of the Cincinnati area a while back (maybe 15 years ago), and when they returned, it was with stores that were far different from the previous stores.  And not "good different".  I really liked the catfish that the original stores had...the best fast-food fish around I thought.   I haven't been back since I tried at a new one (in Hartwell, I think)...the food was mediocre, the store dirty and they don't have catfish on the menu.
That is the same story I associate with IHOP.  Their pancakes now suck and I used to dearly love them - now if I need an outside pancake fix I mosey over to the Original Pancake House in Montgomery for their absolutely fabulous blueberry pancakes.

Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 532
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/07/28 21:52:24 (permalink)
The service at Eastgate Popeye's is atrocious. It took almost 20 minutes for me to get an order about a year ago, and the last time I went it took -- I kid you not -- 35 minutes.

The manager was sitting in his office and there's no doubt he heard me complaining, yet he never came out to say anything. I got a few extra pieces of chicken out of it, but needless to say that's the last time I've been in that one.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4585
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/07/28 22:05:00 (permalink)
Time for Pie
Famous Recipe pulled out of the Cincinnati area a while back (maybe 15 years ago), and when they returned

I'm not sure what you mean here....but the stores I am most familiar with have been operating continuously for at least the last 25 years, and probably much longer

If by "pulled out" you mean they stopped doing business altogether in Cincinnati, no, this is inaccurate.....if not, what do you mean by "pulled out"?

donw9876
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 295
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/07/28 22:09:48 (permalink)
Bonk The service at Eastgate Popeye's is atrocious. It took almost 20 minutes for me to get an order about a year ago, and the last time I went it took -- I kid you not -- 35 minutes.

The manager was sitting in his office and there's no doubt he heard me complaining, yet he never came out to say anything. I got a few extra pieces of chicken out of it, but needless to say that's the last time I've been in that one.

Ha. The Popeye's on Kings Mills Rd. in Mason is not quite that slow, but it's pretty ghetto - they share the building with a Shell station convenience store, and there are usually no clean tables to eat at in the place. It's so gross that we usually take out. 

Popeye's and Church's locations both seem to be opposed to "making things nice" for customers. Basically you get your food but the experience is grating.
Alco251
Hamburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/07/28 22:12:08 (permalink)
TJ Jackson

Time for Pie
Famous Recipe pulled out of the Cincinnati area a while back (maybe 15 years ago), and when they returned

I'm not sure what you mean here....but the stores I am most familiar with have been operating continuously for at least the last 25 years, and probably much longer

If by "pulled out" you mean they stopped doing business altogether in Cincinnati, no, this is inaccurate.....if not, what do you mean by "pulled out"?

They closed a lot of stores when Shoney's sold them in 1995, but they never completely shut down here.  In fact, Hartwell closed but then reopened under new management.
jmckee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1187
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/07/29 10:10:54 (permalink)
Bonk

The service at Eastgate Popeye's is atrocious. It took almost 20 minutes for me to get an order about a year ago, and the last time I went it took -- I kid you not -- 35 minutes.

We have had similar trouble there. The last time we were there some months ago they were out of several items -- nothing we ordered, but we heard people complaining -- and service was ATROCIOUSLY long -- 20 minutes for a simple 8 piece box and two sides.

When we got to the pickup window the guy at the cash register was wearing a Taco Bell uniform shirt.

We've not been back, which is a shame, because as chain places go we kind of liked Popeye's.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/07/29 10:13:20 (permalink)
I had always loved Popeyes til we had the bad experience with delays and bad green beans and red beans and rice.

It is amazing how some locations can go so bad so fast.
KahnsKrazy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 47
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/07/29 17:13:30 (permalink)
Not sure if this fits into Roadfood, but I had a burger at The Rookwood restaurant in the old Rookwood pottery a couple weeks back that was awesome.  We were there on a Saturday night, and the place seemed less than half full (hard to tell with the way that place is broken up).

We also tried the "Dressed up Hanky Panks" appetiser which was interesting, but sounded far better than it tasted. 

The menu is a bit odd, and I can't say I'd trust them enough to order some of the more adventurous items on the menu, but if you're on the hill and looking for a good burger, I'd recommend this one. Nice bar too. 

I've heard they have plans to add a deck, which would make this place worth going to.  I hope that happens.  It's a great piece of history.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/07/29 17:17:36 (permalink)
KahnsKrazy

Not sure if this fits into Roadfood, but I had a burger at The Rookwood restaurant in the old Rookwood pottery a couple weeks back that was awesome.  We were there on a Saturday night, and the place seemed less than half full (hard to tell with the way that place is broken up).

We also tried the "Dressed up Hanky Panks" appetiser which was interesting, but sounded far better than it tasted. 

The menu is a bit odd, and I can't say I'd trust them enough to order some of the more adventurous items on the menu, but if you're on the hill and looking for a good burger, I'd recommend this one. Nice bar too. 

I've heard they have plans to add a deck, which would make this place worth going to.  I hope that happens.  It's a great piece of history.

Were you seated in a kiln?

soozycue520
  • Total Posts : 1031
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/07/29 21:28:39 (permalink)
I had brunch there recently on a Sunday.  I really enjoyed it.  Very interesting drinks {I had the Rookwood Mary} and everything was good, except our server was inexperienced, and the "cheddar grits" came out as a deep-fried triangle of grits, which wouldn't have been bad if they weren't overcooked.  Not what I expected.  But the frittata I had was great, and I tried my friends' dishes, and they were great, too {a take on eggs benedict, and a pear grilled cheese~YUM!!}  Their menu changes weekly, depending on what is fresh.

http://www.therookwood.com/media/pdf/brunch_menu.pdf
Time for Pie
Hamburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/08/03 01:06:03 (permalink)
Q for NYPIzzaNut or any other Eastsiders.  A friend will be staying in the Eastgate area next week and wants to find a good breakfast.  Any favorites in the area?  Thanks!
Time for Pie
Hamburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/08/03 01:14:22 (permalink)
Alco251

TJ Jackson

Time for Pie

They closed a lot of stores when Shoney's sold them in 1995, but they never completely shut down here.  In fact, Hartwell closed but then reopened under new management.

This is what I was thinking of.  The Hartwell one was the one I knew best.  The ones in North College Hill and West Chester closed about same time and didn't reopen.  The Hartwell one was more corporate/fast food/impersonal with a streamlined menu when it returned.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/08/03 11:50:55 (permalink)
Time for Pie

Q for NYPIzzaNut or any other Eastsiders.  A friend will be staying in the Eastgate area next week and wants to find a good breakfast.  Any favorites in the area?  Thanks!

The only place I would heartily  recommend a really good breakfast in the area would be at the Original House of Pancakes in Montgomery, but that is around 25 miles from Eastgate.

They have a breakfast buffet on the weekends at Golden Corral and normal breakfast offerings at Bob Evans and Perkins which are at Eastgate.

I do not eat breakfast at Eastgate save for picking up breakfast sandwiches at White Castle on occasion.

post edited by NYPIzzaNut - 2009/08/03 11:53:13
Time for Pie
Hamburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/08/03 15:48:03 (permalink)
NYPIzzaNut

Time for Pie

The only place I would heartily  recommend a really good breakfast in the area would be at the Original House of Pancakes in Montgomery, but that is around 25 miles from Eastgate.

They have a breakfast buffet on the weekends at Golden Corral and normal breakfast offerings at Bob Evans and Perkins which are at Eastgate.

I do not eat breakfast at Eastgate save for picking up breakfast sandwiches at White Castle on occasion.
Similar to what I told him...I used to visit the Frisch's breakfast bar there when I had a FedEx route in Brown County, so I told him about that.  He was hoping to find a good diner-like place, but I didn't know any out that way except Demitrio's in Mariemont, which is not real close either. 

Agree with you about Original Pancakes, except the wait there can get really long on weekends...it's a popular place.

jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1187
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/08/04 11:42:49 (permalink)
Time for Pie

I like "Everything Bagels," in the complex where Ban Thai and the Rhino pool hall are located, facing the old Frank's Nursery. (792 Eastgate South Drive.)

The bagels, while not outstanding, are acceptable. The breakfast sandwiches are very good, and it's the only place in my neck of the woods where I can get lox with my everything bagel and vegetable cream cheese.

Lunches are similarly good. I recommend the place highly.
johnbycz
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 26
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/08/04 13:45:50 (permalink)
Isn't there anyplace in Batavia?
KahnsKrazy
Junior Burger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/08/05 11:01:15 (permalink)
(re: The Rookwood)
soozycue520

I had brunch there recently on a Sunday.  I really enjoyed it.  Very interesting drinks {I had the Rookwood Mary} and everything was good, except our server was inexperienced, and the "cheddar grits" came out as a deep-fried triangle of grits, which wouldn't have been bad if they weren't overcooked.  Not what I expected.  But the frittata I had was great, and I tried my friends' dishes, and they were great, too {a take on eggs benedict, and a pear grilled cheese~YUM!!}  Their menu changes weekly, depending on what is fresh.

Does the menu really change?  The one they gave us looked like it had been in use for some time, and matched the one on the website. Our experience was similar to yours.  Really enjoyable, with some tolerable 'misses'.  The dressed up hanky panks I referenced were good, but I wanted them to be better, and I think they could have been. Our waiter was fine, but there were some other staff that seemed inexperienced.  Nothing that would keep me from going back, and I felt the food was priced in a way that allowed a little room for error.
NYPIzzaNut
Were you seated in a kiln?

Not this time. We walked in without a reservation, so we got what we got.  I didn't really ask or explore, but it looked like they might have the kilns set up more as 'private' rooms for larger parties. Maybe that was just that night. 

soozycue520
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/08/05 19:33:35 (permalink)
KahnsKrazy

(re: The Rookwood)
soozycue520 

...  Their menu changes weekly, depending on what is fresh.

Does the menu really change?  The one they gave us looked like it had been in use for some time, and matched the one on the website.

The only menu that they claim to change weekly, as far as I know, is the Sunday Brunch menu.

soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/08/05 19:41:05 (permalink)
soozycue520

I live near the old ZZ's Pizza locale at Gilbert & Florence Aves.  I saw some people fixing up the outside of the building a couple of weeks back, and then @ a week ago a banner was put up saying "ZZ's Pizza Opening Soon".  I haven't heard anything about this.  Anyone else?  Their pizza was very good ~ kinda California gourmet pizza-ish.  I hope it is just as good.

It is reopening soon~
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/dining/2009/08/04/zzs/

KahnsKrazy
Junior Burger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/08/06 13:39:26 (permalink)
soozycue520

The only menu that they claim to change weekly, as far as I know, is the Sunday Brunch menu.

Ahhh... that makes sense now. I think I misread the website. Thanks.
Ghaz
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 83
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/08/12 23:08:25 (permalink)
A few closings in Hebron.  Both Geno's and Stone Oven Pizza have closed.
tusti
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 110
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/08/14 17:38:49 (permalink)
Hey, any of you Cinci folks, have any of you ever had Steak n Shake chili 3, 4 or 5 ways? If so, how much different is it from Cinci chili if at all? I guess I'm mostly concerned about the taste of the meat sauce.
The sauce in S n S 3, 4 or 5 way is much different than their just regular chili flavor wise.
Alco251
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/08/14 21:07:08 (permalink)
tusti

Hey, any of you Cinci folks, have any of you ever had Steak n Shake chili 3, 4 or 5 ways? If so, how much different is it from Cinci chili if at all? I guess I'm mostly concerned about the taste of the meat sauce.
The sauce in S n S 3, 4 or 5 way is much different than their just regular chili flavor wise.

It's been a long time since I tried some (in Peoria and desperate for a chili fix as i recall) and it reminded me of Empress/Camp Washington in consistency and flavor.  That was 20 years ago, though.
Euched
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 35
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/08/15 18:16:07 (permalink)
tusti

It has been a long time for me, but if I remember correctly it tasted nothing like Cincinnati style chili, so don't order it thinking it will be a substitute...
tusti
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 110
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/08/15 18:33:57 (permalink)
I believe Steak n Shake came into being shortly after the first "chili houses" appeared in the Cinci area and I guess I was guessing that S n S was patterning their 3, 4 and 5 way after the Cinci recipes
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4585
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/08/15 19:47:55 (permalink)
Some misc notes

Rincon Mexicano\Eastgate
(http://www.rinconeastgate...Rincon_DinnerMenu.pdf)
After years of hearing how good this place was from others and giving them chance after chance to prove it, Rincon finally delivered.  The Jackson clan has had three good meals in a row at Rincon Mexicano, and my eldest (who just turned 8) actually asked to go there recently as opposed to McDonald's and the like.   My favorite is the fajita nachos.  My one complaint - the prices are 2-3 dollars higher per item than they should be for such a place.

Balboas\Downtown
http://www.urbanspoon.com...s-and-Pizza-Cincinnati
The original downtown location on Vine Street has closed.  The newer location on Walnut remains open, but there are very few if any customers there anytime I walk by.   Sad, because the concept is a good one - just lacking in execution

New Orleans to Go\Springdale
http://neworleanstogopobo..._CARRYOUT.30994312.pdf
My second stop there, and this time we brought the kids too.  The owner was very gracious and listened to everything my kids had to say, which on this night, was a lot.  The wife had the same as last time, the catfish hoagie po boy, and was OOOing and AAHing over it just as before.  I went with the special of the evening, a Creole meatball hoagie po boy, and I sure hope she adds this to the regular menu - just awesome.  I asked her as I paid the check where they get their hoagie rolls - I was guessing they did not bake them there - and she said since I called them hoagies she wasn't going to tell me :-) 

Bravo Italian Grille\Mason
http://www.bravoitalian.com/dinner.html
Yeah, it's a chain.  And it is expensive for what it is.  But the food is fantastic each and every time I have been there.  The Jackson clan has a family tradition where on our birthday, we pick any restaurant we desire for a family dinner, just the four of us -- and 2 of the last three birthday selection has been Bravos. So call it a family favorite, chain nor not.   It is the one place in town where I will order a salad without it being included in the meal - the salad della casa is fantastic with the house balsamic dressing.

Bourbon House Pizza\Florence Ky
http://www.bourbonandpizza.com/menu.html
After an aborted attempt to eat at Nicky's in Hebron - hot like a blast furnace inside, and wife and eldest have breathing issues - we went to the suburban location (Oakbrook Road - the other location is a smokey bar that sells pizza, not a family setting at all) and had what we both proclaimed as the best deep dish pizza either of us have ever had.  A large one topping ran us $22, but we got 2 meals out of it.  It is not nearly as good reheated as it is fresh, and a single slice is VERY filling, so I recommend ordering a smaller size than you think you're going to want.   

Remke's Market\Newport
http://www.remkes.com/Page.aspx?Display=8#
I may have mentioned this a year or so ago, but we have really enjoyed the fresh fried chicken from Remke's several times since first trying it over a year ago.  So much so that we gave some other local grocer-delis closer to us a chance, trying their chicken as well.  No comparison, the others are blah at best (just as one might expect) but Remke's has consistely been flat-out excellent.  We have not tried any side dishes.

Burbanks BBQ\Sharonville
http://www.burbanksbbq.com/pages/menu.html
Polly seems to think they are either closing or re-organizing. No details.
http://twitter.com/BeingPolly/statuses/3315251943

Cuba Cafe\Covington
http://www.urbanspoon.com...ti/Cuba-Cafe-Covington
I have not been here yet, but it's gotten a couple of reviews since opening that I wanted to pass on.
http://www.cincinnatibite...uba-cafe&biteID=17
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/dining/2009/08/07/140/
Update: Polly says they are moving, but not sure where

Take the Cake\Northside
http://www.takethecakecincinnati.com/
Take the Cake has also been garnering some notice of late in the local food blogs.  I'm not a big cake eater, but it sounds like the name of the place is rather misleading.  We should get over there soon, I hope.
http://getinmahbelly.blog...cement-take-cakes.html
http://pfoody.com/?p=191
http://cincinnatinomerati.blogspot.com/
post edited by TJ Jackson - 2009/08/16 18:52:20
Page: << < ..7677787980.. > >> Showing page 77 of 110
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1