AnsweredHot!WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Page: << < ..7677787980.. > >> Showing page 79 of 109
Author
Endzone
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/09/07 11:24:23 (permalink)
TJ Jackson

Endzone: this thread is more about places people can go to eat, ie current eateries, but I do know of a thread devoted to old/defunct eateries in Cincinnati

Check out: http://www.city-data.com/forum/cincinnati/260718-anybody-remember-these-restaurants.html

Hey, thanks for the link!
soozycue520
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1031
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/09/10 18:23:57 (permalink)
I had two excellent meals recently & wanted to share.   We went to Cafe Mediterranean in Anderson Towne Center and it was EXCELLENT!!  To start, we got there @4pm and the servers were not there yet, so one of the owners waited on us, and the service was excellent.  We started with the appetizer combo, which consisted of hummus, baba ghanoush, eggplant in sauce, lebne and the best stuffed grape leaves I have ever tasted.  Entrees were the vegetable stew and shrimp casserole.  This was one of the best dining experiences I had in a long time and highly recommend it.
http://www.cafe-mediterranean.com/

On Labor Day, we went driving, trying to find a non-chain restaurant that was open, which was not easy.  We ended up in Aurora, Indiana at the Applewood Restaurant.  I had read some bad reviews and was kinda iffy about the choice, but the food was really good.  The service was not so good, but we sat outside under an umbrella in the rain {it's on the river}.  I got the special which was a T-bone with two sides, of which I got a great baked sweet potato and veggies.  The steak was cooked perfectly {medium rare} and had a great smoky flavor.  The star of the show was the chicken with boursin cream sauce.  It was too die for!!  Then, for dessert, we shared their signature apple bread pudding, which was delicious.  I would also recommend this place.  I cannot find a website for it, though.
post edited by soozycue520 - 2009/09/10 18:26:37
johnbycz
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 26
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/09/11 14:15:54 (permalink)
Love Cafe Mediterranean, though our waiter was OCD, I think, and spent much time pouring half-teaspoons of wine into our glasses to make sure they were even. I'm sorry they took the swordfish kabobs off the menu. Haven't been to the Applewood in years but I always enjoyed it.

I'm sorry if this is off-topic, but Restaurants.com has a great deal on certificates for local restaurants. I bought $75 in certificates today for $4 -- yes, $4. Catch is for a $25 certificate, you have to buy two entrees totalling $35, and the restaurant will add 18 percent gratuity on the total bill. I got certificates for Bella Luna, Maribelle's and the Iron Skillet in Newtown. New Orleans To Go is on the list.

[link=http://entertainment.travelzoo.com/entertainment/650220]http://entertainment.trav...m/entertainment/650220[/link]

NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3140
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/09/11 14:44:58 (permalink)
Need to get back to NOTG soon - sure do miss LaToya's cookin'.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4538
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/09/11 15:16:41 (permalink)
a few notes

Citybeat has a nice little article on Noce's Pizza on the west side.  Very good pizza - heck, even NYPN might like it.  The article mentions that they'll be opening a second location on the east side (a stone's throw from Original pancake House in Montgomery, by the address given) by October or so: http://www.citybeat.com/c...eria-%28review%29.html

Chicken Joy has opened in the Carew Tower food court.  Very simple menu of chicken by the piece either fried or grilled, sides are extra 99 cents or more, very inexpensive.  No customers during the 30 mins or so I was down there.  I will try it out the next time I am out for lunch.  I found a snippet of info about it here: http://cincinnati.bizjour...ory7.html?jst=pn_pn_lk

Be very careful that you read the fine print in the "certificates" from restaurant.com.  As John mentions, lots of caveats.  The word 'certificate' makes one think they are gift certificates - ala same as cash - but they are more like coupons.  Good (if the terms are acceptable) coupons, and ones you have to pay for, but still -- coupons.  Probably not something to buy as a gift for someone else.   Caveat emptor.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/09/11 15:28:17 (permalink)
TJ Jackson

a few notes

Citybeat has a nice little article on Noce's Pizza on the west side.  Very good pizza - heck, even NYPN might like it.  The article mentions that they'll be opening a second location on the east side (a stone's throw from Original pancake House in Montgomery, by the address given) by October or so: http://www.citybeat.com/c...eria-%28review%29.html
Been there - done that.  The pizza crust is very much not like NY pizza crust - I had hoped for much better.  On the other hand their sausage rolls and calzones are fantastic - I do not know why the crust on them is so far superior to their pizza crust.  It is one of the mysteries of the universe.

post edited by NYPIzzaNut - 2009/09/11 16:36:36
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/09/11 16:31:28 (permalink)
franklee

Lunchbunch went to Noce's (westside) today.... It is NOT accessible to wheelchairs... So I won't be going there anymore. The antipasto ($9.95) is excellent. The sausage roll is good. We disagreed on the pizza two of us thought it was good (although I didn't think the "white" was as good as before) and the third member expressed dissatisfaction with the crust. Still, the people at Noce's (from Syracuse NY) are friendly... the luncheon experience was positive... we had a good time and I'm sorry I won't be able to return unless someone figures out how to spend fifty bucks and put in an asphalt ramp.
Here is our group comment on Noce's - we lunched there on 11 20 08 - here are a couple of photos of the antipasto and menu and the bewitching group member known as weewillie.  Note the lunchbunch poster, franklee is originally from Paris TN and his thoughts on what good pizza should be consists  mainly  on how many toppings he can put on his pizzas and if they are of good quality - he has never understood the concept that the crust defines the pizza...

post edited by NYPIzzaNut - 2009/09/11 16:39:48
KahnsKrazy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 47
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/09/14 11:15:54 (permalink)
I went to Mac's Pizza Pub in Clifton before the UC game Saturday.  I love this place, and they've put a decent patio in back. 

The Macover is fantastic.  I understand it's some former Zino's employees, and they're pretty close on the old Zinover.  Plus it's by campus, so it's cheap.

I also hit Balboas in OBryonville for a carryout pepperoni pizza.  The pizza looked awesome.  It tasted average. I'm no pizza snob, and even I was let down by the pizza.  I wanted it to be so much better than it was. 
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 521
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/09/14 14:30:10 (permalink)
johnbycz

I'm sorry if this is off-topic, but Restaurants.com has a great deal on certificates for local restaurants. I bought $75 in certificates today for $4 -- yes, $4. Catch is for a $25 certificate, you have to buy two entrees totalling $35, and the restaurant will add 18 percent gratuity on the total bill. I got certificates for Bella Luna, Maribelle's and the Iron Skillet in Newtown. New Orleans To Go is on the list.

[link=http://entertainment.travelzoo.com/entertainment/650220]http://entertainment.trav...m/entertainment/650220[/link]

We did one for Anderson Bar and Grill (formerly Feldy's) that was a $50 gift certificate for $25. The catch is: it has to be spent all at once. So it's still a good deal but not as good as it looks.

Caveat emptor indeed...
westsider12
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 131
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/09/14 16:07:38 (permalink)
I ate at Noce's this weekend and it was fantastic - better than the first time in Dec. 2008.  I am far from a NY style pizza enthusiast, but I found it to be vastly superior to all the chains, esp. the drivel that is LaRosa's.  How they think they are offering a good deal with a $13.99 "special" double pepperoni pizza is beyond me.  I'd rather buy about 3 frozen pizzas than eat that stuff. 

Anyway, we also had the steak hoagies, which were good but not great.  But the pizza and garlic knots were very tasty.

NYPIzzaNut

TJ Jackson

a few notes

Citybeat has a nice little article on Noce's Pizza on the west side.  Very good pizza - heck, even NYPN might like it.  The article mentions that they'll be opening a second location on the east side (a stone's throw from Original pancake House in Montgomery, by the address given) by October or so: http://www.citybeat.com/cincinnati/article-18722-noces-pizzeria-(review).html
Been there - done that.  The pizza crust is very much not like NY pizza crust - I had hoped for much better.  On the other hand their sausage rolls and calzones are fantastic - I do not know why the crust on them is so far superior to their pizza crust.  It is one of the mysteries of the universe.

johnbycz
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 26
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/09/15 11:39:36 (permalink)
Let me put in a plug for the chicken wings at Noce's. One of the owners said he attended Niagara University north of Buffalo, so he's got the Western New York vibe down pat. I thought the wings were very good. They should put together a pizza/wings special. Also, my daughter, a vegetarian, thought Noce's veggie pizza was very good.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/09/17 13:25:36 (permalink)
I went to Chicken Joy in the Carew Tower Food Court for lunch today

They offer pieces of chicken three ways: grilled, fried, and rotisserie.  2 pc leg and thigh are 2.99, breast and wing are 3.99, regardless of style.  4 pc, 8 pc, and 12 pc also available.

They also have a couple pastas and a couple of salads, each topped with chicken

Everything is ala carte, so if you want a side, a small is 99 cents and a large is 1.79; and a fresh baked roll for 35 cents

Service was friendly and accommodating - I think they had extra help on hand due to the newness of the place, trying to make a good first impression

They had a very steady line while I was there, probably the second greatest number of customers of all the food stalls in the food court after Chik-Fi-Lay.

I asked my counterperson if I could get one piece of fried on one piece of rotisserie. She replied that they had not made any rotisserie that day, but she'd give me one each of grilled and fried.  When I indicated I did not like legs, she got me two thighs, no fuss, no extra cost.  Not sure if they'll do this ongoing, as the menuboard is pretty specific, but it doesn't hurt to ask

The grilled chicken was very mild with little or no seasoning, with a slight charcoal taste.  It was very moist and tender.  The piece itself was on the small side.

The fried chicken was very good - nice and crisp on the outside, with a strong herb-y flavor that I could not place - it was unusual but good.  It too was very moist and tender, albeit a little less so than the grilled.  Again, the piece was small as thighs go.  I recommend this item.

I picked up a small mashed and gravy as a side.  The potatoes themselves were very smooth and watery, very close in consistency to a cream of potato soup.  Not sure if they were real or not.  The gravy mostly tasted like salt.  Not recommended.

I also snagged a roll.  Aside from being just a tad larger than a white castle hamburger bun, these bore a strong resemblance in taste and texture to the yeast-and-honey rolls one gets at Texas Roadhouse or O'Charley's.  I mean this in a good way.  However, such a small roll for 35 cents?  Should be 20 cents.  And maybe throw one in with a 2pc chicken purchase?

Overall, lunch cost me 4.33 and it was decently good but not filling

I'll make another stop in the next week or so, hopefully they will have the rotisserie style available.

Update 9/2/2009: I stopped back in to see if they had rotisserie style today, and they did, so I order a 2 piece dark (2 thighs please) and a small side of pasta alfredo.  This time, they stuck by the rules and gave me a leg and a thigh, just as the menuboard lists it.  Chicken was again very moist again, but quite bland.  The skin appeared well seasoned but was nowhere remotely close to crisp - appearing almost/somehow uncooked, although it was.  The pasta was only a little past al dente, which was a pleasant surprise, but the portion was only 3-4 forkfuls and the "alfredo sauce" was a tasteless paste.   They still seem to be doing brisk business based in no small part on novelty, but I don't think they will last beyond 3 months.  That said, I do like the fact that I was able to try this place out twice for the same price I'd have paid to try out Cold Turkey just once.

Oh, and Polly did a couple of pieces on this place:
http://cincinnati.com/blo...09/09/17/what-is-it-3/
http://cincinnati.com/blo...09/09/18/what-it-is-3/

Since these links may not function if you are reading this 6 months from now....Cincinnati.com seems to take them down after a while....here's a little of what she had to say about the place:
"I got the grilled, and was much amused at the way it was served: the bony underside facing up, so it looked more or less the same as it does after it’s eaten. The chicken was actually well-cooked; not dry at all, but it doesn’t have a distinguishable flavor, either, except for the flavor of “grilled.” When eaten along with a side order of mashed potatoes clearly from a box and gravy clearly from a can, it was a pretty bland lunch."

Bottom line: not great, but at least it's fairly cheap
post edited by TJ Jackson - 2009/09/21 13:15:30
soozycue520
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1031
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/09/17 19:24:54 (permalink)
Tucker's {on Vine St. in Over-The-Rhine} has been named one of the best American restaurants worth your money by Gourmet Magazine.

http://justcured.com/cincinnati-restaurant-receives-national-recognition-which-restaurant-will-surprise-you/
Alco251
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 74
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/09/17 20:42:44 (permalink)
soozycue520

Tucker's {on Vine St. in Over-The-Rhine} has been named one of the best American restaurants worth your money by Gourmet Magazine.

Ok, since my subscription to Gourmet just ran out,  what is the deal with Tucker's?

PAinOH
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/09/21 19:36:25 (permalink)
We've been big Noce's fan since they opened too. So happy they are opening another location. Sadly for me, Indian Hill is no closer to us downtowners!

johnbycz-- They do have a wing special at Noce's. I thougth it was on the menu. Likea deal for 10 or 20 wings. I think, with a large pizza. Hubby loves the wings!
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/09/25 13:28:22 (permalink)
Speaking of Chik-Fi-Lay, there's now one where the former Lee's Famous Recipe was on Beechmont Ave.

Also, the former Margarita's (which I actually kind of enjoyed) on Beechmont has a sign in front of it that says "Coming Soon: (Insert the name of another Mexican place)". I was going 45 when I passed it and couldn't read the entire sign.
Ghaz
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 82
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/09/26 16:57:35 (permalink)
Actually the Chik-Fil-A has been there for a few years and was right next door to Lee's:

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCC&cp=qhbtvc7z66qg&style=b&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&scene=37979897&encType=1

Chick-Fil-A is in the center with Lee's on the left and Margarita's on the right.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 243
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/09/28 12:30:55 (permalink)
I finally made it up to Pit to Plate this weekend. My wife and I both ordered a brisket sandwich, and both thought it was the best brisket we have found locally. My sides were mostly nondescript, however; the jalapeno cornbread was decent, the baked beans might as well have come from a can, the chips were a bag of Grippo's, and the Brunswick stew (typically in the neighborhood of a thick vegetable soup/chili) had BBQ sauce in it, which was a strange but tolerable addition.

I am curious to try some of the other meats on the menu. As it stands now, we would go back for the brisket, but little else.
post edited by dlawson - 2009/10/01 00:19:47
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/10/03 03:35:45 (permalink)
Did Five Guys Burgers last weekend (holy crap, I almost forgot to include the word "burgers" -- wouldn't that have been embarrassing) and thought the burger was really good for a chain.

They're made to order with a ton of toppings options (I got mine plain), and we both got the bacon cheeseburger, and we shared an order of regular fries.

It's hard to describe articulately the flavor of the burger, other than to say it was juicy. 

The fries were OK, but I'm more of a skinny fry person, and these were a little fatter than I normally like. They were a bit like Penn Station's, but definitely better. If you're a fan of theirs, you'll love them. If you like fat fries, you'll really like these, and you're a fan of skinnier fries you'll still think they're all right.

The size of the regular was ridiculous. We couldn't finish them after killing the burgers.

Our dine-in meal, including two pops, was about $16. I was very happy. The same meal at Red Robin would've run around $30. We'll definitely be back.
post edited by Bonk - 2009/10/03 03:40:55
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/10/04 23:27:13 (permalink)
Word in the street us that Cold Turkey has closed.

Expensive and mediocre is not a formula for eatery success, even in good economic times
westsider12
Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/10/05 08:43:52 (permalink)
Not surprised - that place was underwhelming, and they spent a ton of money on things they should not have (cutesy logo, weird table service/take out/eat in concept) and not enough on what they should have (ie how about an actual Cold Turkey sandwich on the menu?). 
TJ Jackson

Expensive and mediocre is not a formula for eatery success, even in good economic times

TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/10/07 00:25:25 (permalink)
Worked from home today, and picked up some takeout Thai for lunch from the Foreign Exchange - http://www.theforeignexchangeonline.com/

The place was dead.  They can seat probably 60-80 people, and there were all of 2 other customers (one table) the whole time I was there, in the noon hour.  I hope for their sakes this was the exception rather than the rule

Everything was a dollar or two more than I expected, which seems to be about par for the course at local Thai joints.  I picked up Pad Thai for 6.50, Pad See Ewe for 6.50, and an order of crab rangoon (5 pieces) for 5.95

The Pad Thai tasted kinda odd, and the noodles were mushy.  Portion was kinda small. Low level heat, just as ordered.  Not recommended.

The Pad See Ewe was very, very salty, but good nonetheless.  The noodles were rolled and cut thinner than any I have seen used for this dish before, approximating the common flat egg noodles you see in the typical tuna cassarole.  Lots of good fresh veggies.  Portion was kinda small.  Spice heat level was low, as requested.  I'd try another item before ordering this again, but would not mind having it again.

The crab rangoons were the surprise - they had actual crab in them!  Well, actually, I suspect it was some kind of faux crab, but the point here is there was actual seafood (and a lot of it) in these. Frankly, every place I have ordered this item from before pretty much just waves an old picture of a crab over some cream cheese before stuffing it into the wonton shells.  Still, 6 bucks for 5?  There better be some seafood in there!

Overall - I can't recommend this place, especially with the much better Kar-Ma just down the street.  However, it is a much larger and more comfortable place, with a much better stocked bar and a large selection of sushi.  Also many more items to choose from on the menu than Kar-ma does.  On food quality alone, tho, I have to give it to Kar-Ma
jjjrfoodie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 422
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/10/10 23:58:06 (permalink)
I made it down to Jalepeno's in Cold Springs last weekend.

Same owners as the old and now defunct Kenwood facility, but with a menu more focused toward competing with Chipotle and Burrito Joe's.

Food is still wonderful as ever and you have to ask for the "secret menu" which offers the mole', cochinita pibil and many other favorites from the old place.  The caldo talepeno (chicken soup with avacado) is not cheap but one of my favorites for over 5 years.

With a salsa bar w/6 offerings and a new hot-hot pumpkin seed based salsa, I will be swinging by tomorrow after the Adidas tent sale in No. KY. for lunch again.

Yum.

Jerry
jjjrfoodie
post edited by jjjrfoodie - 2009/10/11 00:02:18
dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 243
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/10/12 10:03:36 (permalink)
Bonk

Did Five Guys Burgers last weekend (holy crap, I almost forgot to include the word "burgers" -- wouldn't that have been embarrassing) and thought the burger was really good for a chain.

They're made to order with a ton of toppings options (I got mine plain), and we both got the bacon cheeseburger, and we shared an order of regular fries.

It's hard to describe articulately the flavor of the burger, other than to say it was juicy. 

The fries were OK, but I'm more of a skinny fry person, and these were a little fatter than I normally like. They were a bit like Penn Station's, but definitely better. If you're a fan of theirs, you'll love them. If you like fat fries, you'll really like these, and you're a fan of skinnier fries you'll still think they're all right.

The size of the regular was ridiculous. We couldn't finish them after killing the burgers.

Our dine-in meal, including two pops, was about $16. I was very happy. The same meal at Red Robin would've run around $30. We'll definitely be back.

I agree with pretty much everything you said, although I wouldn't call the fries "fat" (which to me implies steak fries like Red Robin). The Penn Station comparison is a good one, although I think Five Guys' fries are actually better, and I am a huge fan of Penn Station's fries. They are fresh cut, and there are sacks of potatoes stacked all over the restaurant, with a blackboard by the ordering station indicating where "today's potatoes" are from. You can also get the Five Guys fries "Cajun style" at no additional cost, which basically means that they are dusted with some sort of blackened seasoning. I have been to the Clifton location twice in the past week and tried the fries both ways, and prefer the Cajun style for the extra salt and zing. A regular fries runs $2.59 and, unlike Penn Station's, easily feeds two people; the $3.99 basket easily fed the four college kids at the table across from me. I did manage to finish a regular order on my own, and later wished I hadn't.

Regular burgers include two patties, and you have the choice of a hamburger, a cheeseburger, a bacon burger, and a bacon cheeseburger. You can also order a "little" burger (with a single patty) with the same options. I believe they said each patty is 1/3 lb. uncooked. All vegetable and sauce toppings are free of charge. I recall lettuce, tomato, onion, relish, pickle, grilled onion, grilled mushroom, green pepper, jalapeno, ketchup, mustard, mayo, BBQ sauce, and hot sauce as options. The most expensive burger is the regular bacon cheeseburger at $5.79. There are also a few hot dog options, as well as veggie and grilled cheese sandwiches.

The burgers are rather juicy, as Bonk says, but also rather sloppy and slightly greasy. I have never been a fan of greasy burgers (which is why I used to hate Quatman's, although they have drastically improved lately), but the light amount works very well here. I have a friend who has already declared it his current favorite burger, and the place was packed both times I went, despite one of the times being 3:00 P.M. on a Saturday with no UC home game that weekend (and no TVs in the place to watch other games on). There is another location in Crestview Hills, and one "coming soon" to Tylersville Road. Very family-friendly atmosphere, too, although not as visually stimulating as Red Robin (which is a good thing in my book, but I don't have any kids yet). Hours are 11-10 all week. I will definitely be back regularly.
westsider12
Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/10/13 12:22:57 (permalink)
A little more color on the closing of Cold Turkey.  Apparently it was not due to lack of business but rather due to "an odor (that) became constant and much stronger. It smelled like old urine and feces and drifted into the dining areas. "  This is directly from their website.  The owners apparently tried to get it fixed but had no success with the landlord, who also did not fix the boiler, apparently.  All the details can be found on what is left of their website.

http://www.coldturkeycincy.com/

westsider12

Not surprised - that place was underwhelming, and they spent a ton of money on things they should not have (cutesy logo, weird table service/take out/eat in concept) and not enough on what they should have (ie how about an actual Cold Turkey sandwich on the menu?). 
TJ Jackson

TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/10/15 11:15:26 (permalink)
jjjrfoodie
I made it down to Jalepeno's in Cold Springs last weekend.

I went over there last night with the kids

We had fairly standard mexi-merican items - chicken enchilada platter, rice beans, queso dip, and a carnitas taco - and it was decent but not nearly as good as I had been led to believe by many fans of the former location in kenwood

The carnitas taco was particularly bland and uninspired

The prices were very reasonable, I will give them that.

I talked to the gentleman manning the counter and he showed me the new expanded menu he plans on moving to in a week or two, and it had a lot of the more authentic-type specialties, and a lot more variety overall.  So, I will give them another try in a month or two after the new menu settles in.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/10/18 12:26:04 (permalink)
After several extremely good dining experiences, I now want to unequivocally recommend Campbell's Barn to everyone

http://www.campbellsbarn.com/

Basic american fare for the most part with a few pastas sprinkled in, all wonderful.  We have yet to have even an OK meal here, everything has ranged from good to excellent

I have had both of their two specialties - fried chicken and prime rib - and both are excellent.  The wife was particularly impressed that the breast was juicy and tender, when white meat tends to come out a lot drier.  Also, the chicken is cooked to order, so expect to wait.  The prime rib could use just a tad more seasoning, but Ill definitely order it again

We were also extremely impressed with the vegetables and desserts, expecially the sweet potato fries and the blackberry cobbler, which I daresay was the best I have ever had.

If you're on the east side, check your coupon magazines (Reach etc), as I know they have a 8 dollar off coupon in circulation right now

------

In completely unrelated news:

--Polly reported that Jean Robert de Cavel is about to reopen the former Longhorn Steakhouse (more recently Buddakhan) as Jean Robert's Table, a casual bistro that will be mostly but not exclusively French oriented.  Sounds great to me
http://cincinnati.com/blo.../jean-robert-downtown/

--The Enquirer reported that the same fellow who opened Chicken Joy in the Carew Tower Food Court a few weeks back will be opening a Sushi spot in the space most recently occupied by Churchill's Tea Room, also in the Carew Tower.
http://news.cincinnati.co...090917/BIZ01/909180369

--I stopped into the new Noce's Pizza which is in a strip center across the street from Steak n Shake in Montgomery, and they looked like they'd be opening very, very soon
Captain Howdy
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 59
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/10/18 18:21:09 (permalink)
Just thought I'd take a minute to post a link to this:  http://cincinnati.metromi...-guide/1523641/content

It's kind of disheartening, but not at all surprising, to see Montgomery Inn and Skyline leading in their respective categories.
Alco251
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 74
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/10/18 23:17:32 (permalink)
Captain Howdy

Just thought I'd take a minute to post a link to this:  http://cincinnati.metromi...-guide/1523641/content

It's kind of disheartening, but not at all surprising, to see Montgomery Inn and Skyline leading in their respective categories.

Yeah, this type of thing favors the no-brainer perennial favorites coasting on their reputation for the masses.  They didn't even have my favorite pizza place (Garzelli's) listed as a choice.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/10/19 19:05:55 (permalink)
TJ Jackson
I stopped into the new Noce's Pizza which is in a strip center across the street from Steak n Shake in Montgomery, and they looked like they'd be opening very, very soon

UPDATE: Stopped in with the youngest, ordered a garlic knot for each of us (75 cents apiece), a slice of cheese pizza for each of us (2.50 each) and a chicken parmesan roll (sorta like a stromboli, 5.95) for me.  Everything was excellent, far better than anything I have had at Dewey's.   Highly recommended.   
Page: << < ..7677787980.. > >> Showing page 79 of 109
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1