AnsweredHot!WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Page: << < ..9192939495.. > >> Showing page 92 of 110
Author
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 535
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/01/17 17:28:11 (permalink)
After watching the Cleveland episode of No Reservations I did visit Eastside Chili. I got two conies and agree with TJ's assessment about the bun, but I didn't have much of a problem with that since they give you so much chili and cheese.

The hot dog is pretty big and grilled, I thought the chili had a good flavor and I didn't mind the cheese. For $3.20 for two I was full.

I went inside, and the walls are painted this ugly brown but there's old movie paraphernalia all over the walls. The place seats 50-60.

While I was waiting for my conies (I got them to go) I saw one table had a sandwich brought out and it was enormous. Sandwichs look like they run about $6, so I definitely want to go back and try one.

Looks like a chicken place has opened just west of there on Ohio 125. I was going too fast to catch the name. I'm always up for trying chicken, so I'll have to pay it a visit.

By the way, Hoggy's in Crestview Hills is closed. We thought their food was fantastic, so that's a tough loss for us.
tikkanen
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/01/17 22:36:27 (permalink)
Bonk Hadn't heard of Squeaky's. I looked it up after seeing your post...as a Chicago transplant I have to ask what your thoughts are on the place. I see the reviews are all very positive.

It's decent.  It's a 1 man shop.  Unlike a Chicago store like Al's or Portillos, when you order, he heats up a serving of beef or dog on the griddle.  Taste-wise, the beef and roll had a good flavor, as did the Chicago dog.  The giardina is pretty spicy.  He doesn't have a deep fryer, so bagged chips only.  I live in Lexington, so I've never been to Hot Doggin' It, but it's a better beef than Lonnie's Best Taste of Chicago in Louisville.
post edited by tikkanen - 2012/01/18 00:32:10
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/01/18 13:55:11 (permalink)
Thanks for the info. I'll have to give it a shot.

Hotdoggin It does a good dog but the beef is average, although that's one food I have pretty high standards for.

The place in Greenhills whose name escapes me right now does a good beef, but it's pretty out of the way for me so I rarely get there.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 249
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/01/18 21:35:07 (permalink)
Bonk
The place in Greenhills whose name escapes me right now does a good beef, but it's pretty out of the way for me so I rarely get there. 

It was Chicago Joe's, but it is now under new ownership and has been renamed to the unfortunately generic Greenhills Bistro and Catering. I haven't been there since the switch, but I am told that the food remains just as good and that the service is much improved. (The latter is why I gave up on Chicago Joe's in the first place, but them no longer taking credit/debit cards didn't help, either.)
arianej
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 205
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/02/01 05:50:05 (permalink)
My husband and I went to Squeaky's a couple weeks back and were pleasantly surprised.  The Italian Beef sandwich was pretty good-- not even close to being in the same league as the more well-known places in Chicago, but nice and flavorful.  The portion size didn't look all that big, but one sandwich was more than plenty for me, maybe because the giardinera was so dang hot.  ;D  They serve it on the side, so you can customize how much you put on.

It's not far from the Costco in Springdale, so it's a nice lunch stop.  We'll be back!
jmckee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1188
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/02/02 12:37:18 (permalink)
It's on Northland? Is it in the same little strip center as LuLu's Noodles, where New Orleans to Go used to be?
tikkanen
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/02/03 21:58:45 (permalink)
Squeakys is just a little further up Northland from Lulu's, about 0.2 miles on the left. It's next to some beauty or technical school.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/02/04 15:08:24 (permalink)
Squeaky's is in a colorful little standalone building (and I do mean little) next to Southwestern College, across from the car dealership. It was previously a coffee house and some sort of package shipping service. Nothing ever seems to last there, so I'm glad to see they are still hanging on, especially these days. I work less than a mile from there, but I still haven't eaten there, mainly because I'm just not used to that building actually being occupied.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/02/13 18:53:40 (permalink)
Saturday was not a good day for the Bonk household.

Having a serious craving for Italian beef and a hot dogs, we went to Squeaky's. There was a sign up saying it was closed for the winter, and I'm thinking: How does one do that when running a new business? I'm guessing the closing is for more than just the winter.

So we drove to Greenhills to hit whatever they're calling the Chicago hot dog place there this week. It was closed. As in permanently. As in everything was out of there.

We didn't have time to drive around any more, so given a choice between Frisch's and a putting bullet in my own head (and I paused for quite a while before deciding between those things), I opted for the Big Boy.

I think that leaves Hotdoggin it as the only surviving Chicago joint in the tri-state, unless you count Skipper's in Oxford.

Also, there's a sign on the door of Tender Towne that say it's training employees and will open soon. It's where the Arby's was just east of I-275 on Ohio Pike. I'm eager to give it a shot.
jmckee
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/02/14 16:38:15 (permalink)
So is Tender Towne a local joint? Looks like it from their website.....
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/02/15 09:03:07 (permalink)
It looks like a place that wants to franchise (probably because it's in an old Arby's), but I didn't see anything about any other locations, so I guess it's an original concept.
soozycue520
  • Total Posts : 1032
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/02/15 20:03:13 (permalink)
Just in case you are planning to go to Hot Doggin' It, I just saw today on Urban Spoon that they are closed for the season. Someone posted that this may not be good, so I checked out their Facebook page. They are closed, but they say they are looking for a new location, planning to open in the spring.

Check their Urban Spoon and Facebook pages for more information.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/02/15 22:03:00 (permalink)
Which takes us down to just Skipper's. Wow.

I'm not buying the "closed for the winter" line from owners who hail from a city where people take pride in not letting much harsher winters affect business.

Looks like that Original Pancake House in the old Pizza Hut at Beechmont and Eight Mile is open. I know nothing about it.

NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3146
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/02/16 00:01:00 (permalink)
Bonk

Which takes us down to just Skipper's. Wow.

I'm not buying the "closed for the winter" line from owners who hail from a city where people take pride in not letting much harsher winters affect business.

Looks like that Original Pancake House in the old Pizza Hut at Beechmont and Eight Mile is open. I know nothing about it.

That is fantastic news!!!!!

baughman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 116
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/02/16 08:38:38 (permalink)
Hot doggin it. is moving to the tylersville area in West Chester. Guess since its just a Mom and Pop shop they didnt figure they could keep one open while getting the other one open?
  I went the last week of dec right before they closed. Its not just a closer they are moving. I hope its not a lie, I am way to lazy to make my own chicago dog and Italian beefs.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/02/18 13:22:07 (permalink)
Bonk

I was there this morning and the place is not open yet.

NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/02/18 13:46:35 (permalink)
Re OPH Beechmont

I spoke to a Kaitlin at the OPH in Montgomery about the Beechmont store - they expect to open by month end - Leap Day - but it is not definite as yet.
jmckee
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/02/21 11:46:45 (permalink)
Last Friday, I stopped at Just Q'in (http://www.justqin.com) at the Newtown location, on Valley just off the main drag. My son was coming home for the weekend from Ohio U, and we wanted to try the place, since our previous favorite "Woe is Me" in Eastgate closed some time back.

We were VERY impressed. Pulled pork was in shreds, nice and tender, with a good smoke flavor. Sauce is served separately, a nicely seasoned not-too-sweet red sauce, with some very creative seasonings, but not as "unusually" seasoned as, say, BBQ Revue. Mac and cheese was creamy, cheesy, and quite good. Smoked baked beans were some of the best I've had locally; even my wife commented on them, and she's not usually a baked bean aficionado. Slaw is an oil and vinegar slaw, highly seasoned, and not too tart.

I was there in mid-afternoon, so the brisket wasn't ready yet (it's only served at dinner) nor were the quirkiest dish on the menu, barbecue green beans. The propietress told me they put rub on the beans, run them through the smoker, and serve with shreds of meat. Chicken is also available, as are a variety of  meal packages.

It's a catering business, so the Newtown location is currently open only Wednesday through Friday.

I HIGHLY recommend this place.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/02/21 12:38:17 (permalink)
NYPIzzaNut

Re OPH Beechmont

I spoke to a Kaitlin at the OPH in Montgomery about the Beechmont store - they expect to open by month end - Leap Day - but it is not definite as yet.

Sorry about that...it definitely looked open when I drove by.

TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4596
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/02/23 18:52:21 (permalink)
Tender Towne is open (on Beechmont in the old Arby's spot in Withamsville), and according to a co-worker of mine who lives in Eastgate, it is very, very good.  I am not a big chicken fingers and fry kinda guy, but I will at least have to check it out at least once on his say-so.  http://www.tendertowne.com/ordereze/1000/Page.aspx

I tried out Lime Taqueria on the north End of Covington's mainstrasse, and I really enjoyed the chorizo tacos I got:  http://www.urbanspoon.com/u/profile/1849610.  Will be returning soon and often.

I had an outstanding lunch the other day at Eckerlin's Meats in Findlay Market.  They have a random lunch special every day, and I just could not pass up the sign that said "BBQ Ribs - $5.00".  For my 5 dollars, I got three of the meatiest ribs I have ever seen, easily as much meat as your average inch-thick porkchop on each one, and yes- these were properly smoked, juicy, tender, and succulent.  No sides, just a pound plus of truly excellent smoked meat.  Saved one of the three slabs of meat for later, left it in the fridge for 2 solid days, reheated it, and it was still heavenly despite all that the time in the fridge and the less-than-loving touch of the microwave.  I went back in later and told them this was one of my favorite lunches ever, and I meant it.  Unfortunately, no telling when or if they will do this special again.   #58 on the Findlay Market map: http://www.findlaymarket.org/merchants/

There is a new-ish Italian restaurant called Giovanni's - definitely not a chain by the looks of it - on North Bend Rd more or less at the intersection with Westwood Northern Blvd.  Kinda/sorta across from the original location of Noce's Pizza.  Any of you westsiders (including but certainly not limited to westsider12) been in there?  If so, how is it?  http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/32/1651508/restaurant/Cheviot-Westwood/Giovannis-Family-Italian-Restaurante-Cincinnati 

And then there's this new place - http://eggplanttogo.blogs...s-from-lucy-blues.html - in the former longtime backstage Deli location.  I'm sure I would have noted it already if I still worked downtown, but it's good to hear something interesting went into this spot.   I am guessing in the context of the menu, the 50 cent "muffeletta" is probably olive salad or tapenade.  If its a real muffeletta for 50 cents, I will be eating there every day :-)   All that said, since the ownership is connected to Lucy Blue's, purveyor of good-only-if-you're-really-really-drunk pizza, I'm not getting my hopes up too high
post edited by TJ Jackson - 2012/02/23 23:03:12
dlawson
Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/02/23 22:26:05 (permalink)
Giovanni's wouldn't be too far from me, so I might check it out. I was in the mood for Italian just the other night, actually, and ended up going to Biagio's Bistro in Clifton for the first and probably the last time. The food wasn't bad, but it was a bit overpriced, and the menu just wasn't varied enough for me. The servers were also completely overwhelmed and disorganized, despite there being more than enough of them to handle a full restaurant that really is not that big. I left with the sense that they need to get their act together in more ways than one.

I am slowly changing my opinion of The Don's Pizza Lounge, which took over for NorthSlice in Northside. My first experience (not long after they opened) was pretty bad, but they seem to be learning from the mistake of not emulating NorthSlice's finishing touches, since they now dust the finished pies with an Italian spice blend and brush the crust with olive oil. It's no sea salt and basil, but it's definitely a step in the right direction. They now have a Monday and Tuesday $7.77 14" cheese special, as well as a Wednesday $20 special which includes a 3-topping 18" pizza, two salads, and two fountain drinks (for dine-in or carryout). Cautiously recommended, for now.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/02/24 11:22:11 (permalink)
I'll have to try Tender Towne, although I still haven't gotten one of those huge sandwiches I saw at Eastside Chili, which is practically next door. They looked really good when I ordered conies there last month.

That doesn't surprise me that Eckerlin's does a great lunch. I go down there every two weeks for two pounds of cajun bacon, and it's some of the best I've ever had, especially for $4.59 a pound.

I doubt this is the case, but I would be elated if Giovanni's was related to the one in Dayton. They have a pizza place in Fairborn and had a restaurant briefly off Yellow Springs Rd. that served one of the best Italian meals I've ever eaten. I realize Giovanni's isn't exactly a unique name for an Italian place, but that has me very curious to see if it's the same ownership group.

I've never had Lucy Blue's, but it looked like the one in Mt. Lookout is closed. I was walking around there Wednesday and the door on one side led to some businesses and the other went to the collectables stoor.

I ended up trying Ramundo's, which wasn't bad and has me wanting to try a couple of interesting items on the menu. I got two slices of pepperoni, which were very greasy (not that that's necessarily a bad thing) to the point that the cardboard box leaked a little bit onto my passenger seat. But they were big and tasty and not a bad deal for $4.78.
post edited by Bonk - 2012/02/24 11:23:23
sholley
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/02/26 19:22:24 (permalink)
Tj.  Went to Roy Rogers yesterday and was very saddened to see that they have done away with the holster for the large fries and all branded packaging.  generic wrappers, frie carton and cups.  What is up?  I asked one of the older workers and she said they can not longer get them..Come on.  I sure hope there was not a change of ownership.  Also my Double R had a sliver of ham on it.  Please Please Please we can not loose our Roy's
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/03/01 00:57:01 (permalink)
Oh man. Roy's is not allowed to go downhill.

Since I'm living in the Roadfood-void area of NKU for the next week or so with the local basketball tournament going on, does anyone know anything about either Topper's (pizza) or Smashburger?

With the lack of options in that area I'm considering trying one or both.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/03/01 06:54:16 (permalink)
Bonk

NYPIzzaNut

Re OPH Beechmont

Sorry about that...it definitely looked open when I drove by.

According to their Facebook page for both Montgomery and Beechmont locations of the Original Pancake House their projected opening date for Beechmont is now mid-March.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/03/01 20:30:45 (permalink)
Stopped into Just Q'in today to pick up some chow for dinner.

It was a spur-of-the-moment decision at 3 p.m., and as Jmckee said, some items are only ready for dinner. I wanted the brisket, and they said it would be 15 minutes until it was ready, which suited me fine. I also ordered a pint of mac and cheese, and I wanted to get the green beans, but those are also a dinner-only item, and it was 45 minutes until they would be done. So I went with the baked beans.

Everything was awesome. The brisket came partly in slices and partly in cubes, which I thought was a little odd, but it was very tender and melted in our mouths.

I'm not a huge baked beans fan normally, but like Jmckee said, these are some of the best in the area. I tasted hints of brown sugar and cinnamon and some of the same flavor as their barbecue sauce.

The mac and cheese was creamy and delicious. The only complaint I have is that a pint of mac and cheese is $6.50 while the rest of the sides were $5.50. The mac and cheese is a little overpriced but the beans and brisket ($14/lb.) were well worth it.

I want to go back to try to green beans and the pulled pork.

I second Jmckee's high praise.
post edited by Bonk - 2012/03/01 20:32:31
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4596
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/03/02 12:36:17 (permalink)
Some misc items

update bout Noce's Pizza off CincinnatiBites twitter:
In case you haven't heard, All Noce's Pizzerias except the Edgewood location will now be "Brooklyn Pizza," effective March 1.

Have any of your TriCounty folks been to Taco Loco on Northland Blvd?  Sounds like it has been open for a while, good food, cheap...... http://cincinnatifoodiver...t-to-taco-loco-in.html.  For that matter, what about Mi Ranchito, right down the street a bit?

I was in the TriCounty area because my dentist is in nearby Fairfield.  After today's dental work, enjoyable as always, I drove by Squeaky's, and there were people inside working.  I knocked on the door and inquired about them opening up again, and they said they expect to be back open in late March.....so there's some good news!  

On that same little post-dental side trip, I noticed that Ali Baba's has opened in the old New Orleans to Go spot next to Lulu's.  Is this one like the one in Madisonville on Redbank, where they have a huge real schwarama spit? 

Curry in a Hurry at Beechmont Mall (Anderson Crossings?) is coming along quicker now, hours posted on the doors, lots of of construction folks inside getting it ready

Went to Tender Towne in Withamsville, at the old Arby's spot.  The building and menuboards are so stylized it is clear they intend to franchise.  Lowest priced combo is 5.99, and they charge 50 cents per dipping sauce.  No biscuits and no chicken tender sandwiches, tho they do have *yuck* a tender wrap.  Ate there despite all that, and the tenders are very good but everything else is pretty forgettable.   

Indian Bistro seems to finally be getting some steady dinner business, which is good.  Parking lot was neatly full when I drove by the other night, in stark contrast to the 0-2 cars at the much larger parking lot for Red Chopsticks down the street.  They have good food, but their prices (other than the lunch buffet) remain too high for regular patronage from me.

I got word (have not confirmed) that Kar-Ma has finally changed it name to Tan Thai.  Since Tan Thai has been running the place for a while now, I really don't expect any changes of substance, tho many of the laotian items Karma had are sadly long gone.

Right across the street from the really great BBQ joint that popped up in Newtown, there is supposedly a place that sells stuffed soft pretzels (they call them breadzels) on a stick.  Two stuffings I have heard about are a Johnsonville Brat and a Nathan's dog.  Any east siders tried this?  At 2-3 dollars an items, sounds like an interesting and low risk culinary investment :-)

A Tavola Pizza has taken to telling folks they are topping their "margherita" pizza with oregano instead of basil because "basil is out of season".  I call bull**** on this.   Basil is available year round - it may well cost a bit more to cultivate indoors - but a margherita with oregano in place of basil is no longer a margherita, and the favor is a LOT different.   Shame on you, A Tavola Pizza.  Bull****.

A old greasy spoon that is slowly growing on me after three recent stops there - Gourmet Chili in Newport.  They have a huge 3 egg all day breakfast for 4.25.  The menu is like 50's diner plus chili (pretty darn good chili), gyros, and baklava.   They have a pork tenderloin that I have to wonder if it resembles the Iowa classic DavyD writes about - probably not, but for 6 bucks I can try it once and find out.   But yeah, ok, it does unfortunately smell like old cigarettes in there.
jmckee
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/03/02 12:56:10 (permalink)
At Kroger, I can buy basil in the same sized container as the organic baby spinach, so A Tavola is, indeed, full of it.
And Bonk, good to know I'm not alone. it's nice to have one's opinion affirmed. And by the way -- staff there is quite pleasant to deal with.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/03/03 13:06:25 (permalink)
Bonk
Since I'm living in the Roadfood-void area of NKU for the next week or so with the local basketball tournament going on, does anyone know anything about either Topper's (pizza) or Smashburger? 

I have been to the Topper's in Clifton, and it's no better than any other chain you care to name. I have also been to the Smashburger in Blue Ash, and it's okay. I much prefer Five Guys, especially in terms of fries, but Smashburger at least gives you much more room to be "creative" with sauces and toppings.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/03/03 13:20:35 (permalink)
TJ Jackson
Have any of your TriCounty folks been to Taco Loco on Northland Blvd?  Sounds like it has been open for a while, good food, cheap...... http://cincinnatifoodiver...t-to-taco-loco-in.html.  For that matter, what about Mi Ranchito, right down the street a bit?

I work about two blocks from Taco Loco and drive by it just about every day, and it has been impossible to tell if it has been open because I never see cars in the parking lot or people inside. The roadside sign has been up for months, and I honestly thought they had given up on actually opening the place until the rooftop Taco Loco sign appeared about a week ago. I guess I will have to give it a shot.

I went to Mi Ranchito a few months ago, and wasn't all that impressed. Lunch cost way more than it should have, and the waitress (whose English left much to be desired) had no clue what the lunch specials were, which fillings were available for specific dishes, or even which dishes were available (papusas were listed on the lunch menu, but I was informed by the cook that they were only a dinner item). Lunch was average, and I spent the entire meal feeling like I should have driven the extra distance to Taqueria Mercado instead.
Page: << < ..9192939495.. > >> Showing page 92 of 110
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1