Which Tamirand Form To Use In BBQ Sauces?

Author
DawnT
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1286
2011/07/14 13:10:41 (permalink)

Which Tamirand Form To Use In BBQ Sauces?

I see that a lot of sauces use tamirand as one of the ingredients. Looking over recipes on the net, the form used is a bit confusing. There's several kinds of pastes,juices,concentrates, pulp,extract, puree, frozen pulp that apparently is seedless and much like a puree, and some kind of brick form that needs to be soaked. For incorporation into a BBQ sauce, is there a standard that's used when it's called for in a recipe? Even in the paste form that I understand is like molasses, there are different types sold in asian markets.

6 Replies Related Threads

bdtn
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 98
    Re:Which Tamirand Form To Use In BBQ Sauces? 2011/07/14 16:34:53 (permalink)
    try the mexican its called tamarind candy it comes in small  packets like condiment pacs its not sweet its more sour and is easy to use
    ther are a few seeds but easy to get out its real cheap and easy to use and store
    pimple2
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 90
    Re:Which Tamirand Form To Use In BBQ Sauces? 2011/07/16 00:23:08 (permalink)
    Hi Dawn,

From my end, I would suggest LAXMI brand Natural tamarind concentrate that comes in a GLASS jar; this is light brown. Not any other Indian tamarind concentrate.

Here is a picture, although in South Florida you will have MANY INDIAN groceries selling a 14 oz bottle for around $3

http://janesfoods.com/sto...ct.php?productid=16602

Once opened, store in refrigerator or freeze in portions.

This is the type useful for sauces.

http://www.hosindia.com/where-to-buy.aspx

pimple2
    Hamburger
    Re:Which Tamirand Form To Use In BBQ Sauces? 2011/07/16 00:23:58 (permalink)
    Sorry, inadvertent double post.

post edited by pimple2 - 2011/07/16 00:25:05
    DawnT
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:Which Tamirand Form To Use In BBQ Sauces? 2011/07/16 06:14:35 (permalink)
    I don't believe that I've seen an Indian food stuff store since the one in nearby Coral Gables closed. This is an almost entirely latin area and short of a few Asian markets, the entire area is dominated by two major American chains a few Latin ones. I tried the where to buy locator and there was no distributors for a 20 mile radius. The latin markets do carry the brown sugar/pulp candy balls btdn suggested, but for the few that you get for a dollar and having to separate and puree the pulp isn't worth the effort for a cup of sauce. We also have a frozen product that's primarly used in fruit drinks, it too isn't very potent either. I've resigned to either visit an Asian market to find a concentrated paste form or order online. It may be a waste, but I'm interested to see the effect that it has and the reason so many gourmet and small production specialty BBQ sauces use it independently from any trace amount found in worchestershire sauce that might be found in the product. It seems to be a common pairing with either nutmeg or mace along with allspice in many of these sauces. It may be forming an interesting diad like cinnamon and cloves when you see the same pairings. Only trying the combination will tell.
    RodBangkok
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 399
    Re:Which Tamirand Form To Use In BBQ Sauces? 2011/07/16 07:31:53 (permalink)
    I'd recommend you use either Thai Tamarind paste, or there is also a Thai concentrated tamarind juice.  Either would be good, as they contain no additional ingredients, just pure tamarind.  Tamarind will add to the sour component in your recipe, use it sparingly in the forms I described above.
    pimple2
    Hamburger
    Re:Which Tamirand Form To Use In BBQ Sauces? 2011/07/17 13:25:10 (permalink)
    Yes, Thai concentrated paste is fine. Be aware of something. Thai Tamarind, be it in seedless blocks or paste, comes in 2 distinct forms. One is called SWEET TAMARIND, and is distinctly not sour, and the other is SOUR TAMARIND.

Tamarind, the ripe fruit, in any case has over 40% sugars. It is the degree of acid content that determines "sweet" versus "sour" types. Tomatoes & peaches have a similar situation, where the low-acid types seem considerably sweeter.

Don't worry too much.  Here is an example of what you seek in an Asian market, with pictures:
    http://importfood.com/sads1701.html
    Pure Tamarind Paste, Seedless, 17.5 oz jar

An Indian mail-order in your neck of the woods that I found on Google:
    Patel Brothers (62.8 mi)
    1251 W. Fowler Ave, Unit F
    Tampa, Florida 33612

post edited by pimple2 - 2011/07/17 14:16:55
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1