Which Wolf Brand Chili with beans?

Author
D Witch
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
2006/06/15 18:23:24 (permalink)

I am about to order some Wolf Brand Chili online. As a Texan who has moved to gulp, Boston, MA, I’ve had enough of there being no Wolf Brand in this city. My question is which Wolf Brand Chili with Beans is better- the regular or the hot. I ate it as a kid and can’t remember which one was better. Since it is a small fortune to get it sent to me, I want to get the best. Any advice on the chili or a reasonable place to order it?
D Witch

8 Replies Related Threads

Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Which Wolf Brand Chili with beans? 2006/06/15 18:24:36 (permalink)
    The Regular.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Which Wolf Brand Chili with beans? 2006/06/15 18:32:25 (permalink)
    Welcome D Witch!!!!

I also loved Wolf Brand as a kid, and still do. Make a search here and you can read some stuff about Wolf Brand.

I don't think they made the "hot" back when you were a kid, oh, I don't know how old you are??? They also don't sell it east of Dallas where I now live.

I would go for the regular but.... your need to get ready for some comments about the "with beans" deal here! And, what about the Fritos to go w/ it????
    Joe
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    RE: Which Wolf Brand Chili with beans? 2006/06/15 19:08:34 (permalink)
    Hey D Witch, Bushie can override any babeling I might do. He is the real deal when it comes to Texas food! I'm glad we agreed. I have never had the "hot" but the reason I said regular is that I think it is what you had as a kid.
    Joe
    D Witch
    Junior Burger
    RE: Which Wolf Brand Chili with beans? 2006/06/15 19:12:26 (permalink)
    Thanks Bushie and PapaJoe8!

Yes, they did have hot when I was a kid, PapaJoe8. ; ). I remember because I was raised vegetarian and bought my own! OH! The power of the Chili, to make a good vegetarian go wrong. And about beans! Got to have em! Otherwise, all you have is meat sauce! Just kidding. Nevertheless, the bean is God’s little gift. I mean depending on the bean, you add it and almost anything gets a little bit better. pinto, black, red, vanilla, Coffee, soy, coco, etc. Good times.

Frito pie is a must too. Do you know almost no one in Massachusetts (That I’ve asked anyway) has ever heard of it? Dang.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Which Wolf Brand Chili with beans? 2006/06/15 19:39:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by D Witch

Nevertheless, the bean is God’s little gift. I mean depending on the bean, you add it and almost anything gets a little bit better. pinto, black, red, vanilla, Coffee, soy, coco, etc. Good times.

That's almost erotic. I've always loved beans, but you've just given me a new appreciation.
    D Witch
    Junior Burger
    RE: Which Wolf Brand Chili with beans? 2006/06/15 22:24:23 (permalink)
    Funny you should say that Bushie

After your comment I was sparked to look up beans in Scott Cunningham’s Encyclopedia of Wicca in the Kitchen. I was surprised. I figured I could kind of justify including the entry here because the last line is on chili. I hope anyone who reads this enjoys it because I don't love to type!

“Bean

Energies: Money, sex

Lore: Beans were a major part of the diets of many Mesoamerican cultures, including the Maya and the Aztecs. They’re still an important food throughout Latin America.
    Plutarch states that beans were given in sacrifice to Harpocrates (the Graeco-Roman deity) in the month of Mesore. Apollo was also offered beans in sacrifice. The Egyptian king Ramses III offered 11, 998 jars of shelled beans to the deities on one occasion. Several ancient religions forbade priests and priestesses to eat beans.
    The Romans offered beans to the dead at certain festivals. The Greeks and Romans also used beans for ballots: white beans for yes, black beans for no.
    Beans were long thought to promote sexual desire if eaten. The famous English herbalist Culpeper recommended them for this purpose, while a father of the Church, Saint Jerome, forbade nuns to eat beans because they “tickled the genitals.”
    In England, insanity was thought to be the result of sleeping overnight in a bean field. The white flowered beans, however, have long been sacred to the Goddess and were revered by many peoples.
    Colonists learned the art of cooking Boston baked beans from American Indians.
    Magical uses: Add beans to diets to increase wealth. If you make your own baked beans, add a touch of ginger, maple syrup, and other money-attracting foods during their preparation, and visualize as you mix and cook. Or eat beans with the appropriate visualization to increase in sexual activity.
    Hot chili with beans is a protective dish”.

PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    RE: Which Wolf Brand Chili with beans? 2006/06/16 11:42:36 (permalink)
    D Witch, Thanks! "gods little gift" is something I will use.
    Joe
    Ashphalt
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Which Wolf Brand Chili with beans? 2006/06/16 11:49:26 (permalink)
    Agree with you that beans are a gift.

FYI - To my knowledge no-one has been deported from Massachusetts for making a Frito Pie for at least 40 years. Of course, could be that no-one has made a Frito Pie, either.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1