The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Which rivet tool is needed for P-30 truck build. Monobolt? Price range of tool?

newandathepoet

• Total Posts: 17
Which rivet tool is needed for P-30 truck build. Monobolt? Price range of tool? Wed, 12/18/13 6:57 PM (permalink)
I am in the planning stages of a food truck build.  I have purchased a 1998 P-30. I know I need a rivet tool, I am just not sure which one. Also not sure which rivets are which and which ones are more prevalent on a P-30.  Just want to buy the right one the first time. Thanks for your input.

fishscale28

• Total Posts: 217
    Re:Which rivet tool is needed for P-30 truck build. Monobolt? Price range of tool? Thu, 12/19/13 12:10 AM (permalink)
    I bought the large, cheap on from Harbor Freight (the one that can do up to 1/4" rivets and it has all the different sizes you can change) and used the hell out of it.  Worked quite well and they had the aluminum rivets to go with it

TamaleTrolley

• Total Posts: 33
      Re:Which rivet tool is needed for P-30 truck build. Monobolt? Price range of tool? Mon, 12/23/13 3:09 AM (permalink)
      Chevrolet P30 denotes a bare chassis, the body was made by a variety of coach builders. Your body may have been made by Workhorse or Grumann or etc. A few bodies/complete stepvans were made entirely by General Motors, I happen to have one--the thing does not have a single rivet anywhere, only spot welds and these annoying "clutch bolts" which were apparently only used on stepvans and Corvettes (!).

IOW your fasteners will depend on your coach builder, we can't help you without more information.

newandathepoet

• Total Posts: 17
        Re:Which rivet tool is needed for P-30 truck build. Monobolt? Price range of tool? Wed, 12/25/13 3:16 PM (permalink)
        Sorry about that.  It is a Utilimaster.

RodBangkok

• Total Posts: 385
          Re:Which rivet tool is needed for P-30 truck build. Monobolt? Price range of tool? Thu, 12/26/13 3:55 AM (permalink)
          https://parts.utilimaster.com/utilmstr/runApp

Very pricy parts.  
          For exterior joints and especially for roof areas make sure you use blind rivets, or marine seal rivets.  The marine rivets have a rubber coating that compresses in the joint.  Blind rivets are closed after being applied, where a standard pop rivet can leave a  thru hole that may need to be sealed again.  

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
            • No New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
            • Locked w/ New Messages
            • Locked w/o New Messages
            • Read Message
            • Post New Thread
            • Reply to message
            • Post New Poll
            • Submit Vote
            • Post reward post
            • Delete my own posts
            • Delete my own threads
            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com