Whisky/bourbon question

Author
WarToad
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1839
2009/04/16 14:45:03 (permalink)

Whisky/bourbon question

I love beer.  I've home brewed for a good 17 years now, and have tasted my way up down forward backward and sideways through the multitude of different beer styles.

Somewhere along the way I also picked up a taste for tequilla and have worked my way through the profiles of that nuanced liquor as well.

My question though is about whisky/bourbon.  As much as I've honestly tried, I have just never stumbled across any make or brand that has tripped my trigger.  Then a friend of mine said he didn't like whisky either, but a friend of his had him try a very "peaty" one and he loved it.

Any suggestions on especially "peaty" whiskies I can try?

Edit:
Compiled list of recommendations
Speyburn
Jim Beam - tried.  no.
Makers Mark  - no
Ancient Ancient Age (AAA or Triple A)
Woodford Reserve
George Dickle
Jack Danels - tried.  so-so
Old Grandad 114
Wild Turkey 108.2 (known as Wild Turkey Rare Breed)
Bunnahabhain
Bruichladdich
Laphroig
Glenmoranie
any of the Islay single malts

post edited by WarToad - 2009/05/06 10:48:46

20 Replies Related Threads

seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    Re:Whisky/bourbon question 2009/04/16 15:02:51 (permalink)
    I guess "peaty" refers to whiskeys made in a pot still over a fire of peat moss as found in the bogs of Ireland and Scotland - the smoke from the peat gives the Irish and Scotch whiskeys their distinctive peaty or smoky flavors.

I'm no Bourbon expert, but I don't recall any Bourbon I've had that seemed particularly peaty or smoky to me...

Cheers, John   
    jman
    • Total Posts : 1318
    Re:Whisky/bourbon question 2009/04/16 15:21:48 (permalink)
    I don't think you're going to find any bourbons that taste peaty.  Remember though, all bourbons are whiskeys, but all whiskeys are not bourbons.
    boyardee65
    • Total Posts : 1459
    Re:Whisky/bourbon question 2009/04/16 15:44:31 (permalink)
      You might try some of the single malt, single barrel Scotch whiskeys. Speyburn comes to mind. Do some research online and taste.

I do like beer, tequila and whiskey also. My preference is for single barrel Bourbon. I like sour mash whiskeys the best though e.g. Jim Beam, Makers Mark, etc...

David O.
    jman
    Re:Whisky/bourbon question 2009/04/16 16:40:20 (permalink)
    boyardee65

You might try some of the single malt, single barrel Scotch whiskeys. Speyburn comes to mind. Do some research online and taste.

I do like beer, tequila and whiskey also. My preference is for single barrel Bourbon. I like sour mash whiskeys the best though e.g. Jim Beam, Makers Mark, etc...

David O.

One of my favorites is Ancient Ancient Age (AAA or Triple A), not to be confused with Ancient Age.  Triple A is aged ten years and bottled at 86 proof.  It is not sold outside Kentucky.  If you want a really smooth sipping whiskey, AAA is worth a stop in Kentucky.  If you're gonna mix it with anything other than ice, forgetaboutit.
    post edited by jman - 2009/04/16 18:19:10
    russ2304
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 261
    Re:Whisky/bourbon question 2009/04/16 18:10:20 (permalink)
    Give Gentleman Jack by JD a try----------real sippin' smooth like a fine cognac or armanac-----been a Scotch drinker for 40 odd and never ran across a "peaty" bourbon or mash-most are aged in charred oak.

Russ
    jimcor
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 148
    Re:Whisky/bourbon question 2009/04/16 18:45:13 (permalink)
    Not peaty just excellent bourbon whiskey, Woodford Reserve, a bit pricey, but most good spirits are.

Distilled just down the hiway from me just outside of Versailles, KY  in Woodford County.

BTW Bourbon is ONLY distilled in Kentucky. Same way Vidaila Onions only come from Georgia.

Tennessee whiskey, very good spirits, is not Bourbon.  
    jman
    Re:Whisky/bourbon question 2009/04/16 20:00:59 (permalink)
    jimcor

BTW Bourbon is ONLY distilled in Kentucky. Same way Vidaila Onions only come from Georgia.

That changed in 1964 by federal law.

On 4 May 1964, the United States Congress recognized Bourbon Whiskey as a “distinctive product of the United States," creating the Federal Standards of Identity for Bourbon. Federal regulations now stipulate that bourbon must meet these requirements:
    • Bourbon must be made of a grain mixture that is at least 51% corn.[1]
    • Bourbon must be distilled to no more than 160 (U.S.) proof (80% alcohol by volume).
    • Bourbon must be 100% natural (nothing other than water added to the mixture).
    • Bourbon must be aged in new, charred oak barrels.[1]
    • Bourbon may not be introduced to the barrel at higher than 125 proof (62.5% alcohol by volume).
    • Bourbon which meets the above requirements and has been aged for a minimum of two years, may (but is not required to) be called Straight Bourbon.[2]
    • Bourbon aged for a period less than four years must be labeled with the duration of its aging.
    • If an age is stated on the label, it must be the age of the youngest whiskey in the bottle.

boyardee65
    • Total Posts : 1459
    Re:Whisky/bourbon question 2009/04/16 20:12:01 (permalink)
      Thanx for all of the great info on whiskey JMAN!! Mucho appricado!

David O.
    Large Man
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 76
    Re:Whisky/bourbon question 2009/04/16 21:17:20 (permalink)
    If you truly want a great Bourbon, follow jimcor's advice and try Woodford Reserve.  It is my favorite.  I recommend it over ice or with water if you cannot drink it straight.  You will truly enjoy the subtle flavors.  The first one might seem stiff for a first timer, but the next one will be melow.  Don't mix it with Coke as it makes it too sweet.   Next favorite is Maker's Mark which to me is a close second.  There are many others, my fall back standby is Jim Beam if you have to go for regular brands.  As for Tennessee whisky, George Dickle and Jack Danels are both okay but the charcoal mellowing makes them harsh to me, bourbon is more mellow. I've toured both of theeir distilleries.  If you ever get to Versailles, take the Woodford tour, it is beautiful in Oct during football season.   
    jman
    Re:Whisky/bourbon question 2009/04/16 22:17:26 (permalink)
    Large Man

If you truly want a great Bourbon, follow jimcor's advice and try Woodford Reserve. 

I've never understood the infatuation with  Woodford Reserve.  I've got a friend who cycles through Woodford Reserve as part of his job requirements with the ATF.  He confirmed that WR is really nothing but a boutique liquor that was developed to appeal to the Gen X crowd with an emphasis on the experience and not the liquor per se. 

Like most distilleries, their tasting panels are made up of volunteers off their bottling line.  They found that most of their tasters couldn't distinquish WR from many of the other more established brands.  All they could do was tell when one batch was consistent with another. 

Woodford Reserve has done a marvelous marketing job.  They produce a good product that's purposely overpriced to promote its "specialness".

Don't get me wrong, if someone's got a bottle of WR, I'm more than happy to help them drink it.  If I'm paying for it, give me AAA, Old Grandad 114, or Wild Turkey 108.2 (known as Wild Turkey Rare Breed).

To each his own.  

Large Man
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 76
    Re:Whisky/bourbon question 2009/04/16 22:42:48 (permalink)
    The manufacturing is not as high tech.  They fill the barrel, roll it across the yard and store it in an old warehouse that is small in comparison to other manufacturers.  The bottling line is short and small and not really as high tech as other manufacurers.  In fact, the whole distillery is in a small hollow area between horse farms.  This is one instance where I feel smaller is better.  I do agree with you jman, if someone has bourbon to offer, even Tennessee whisky, I'll be glad to help them drink it.
    jman
    Re:Whisky/bourbon question 2009/04/17 07:57:52 (permalink)
    Large Man

The manufacturing is not as high tech.  They fill the barrel, roll it across the yard and store it in an old warehouse that is small in comparison to other manufacturers.  The bottling line is short and small and not really as high tech as other manufacurers.  In fact, the whole distillery is in a small hollow area between horse farms.  This is one instance where I feel smaller is better.  I do agree with you jman, if someone has bourbon to offer, even Tennessee whisky, I'll be glad to help them drink it.

Cheers!
    mbrookes
    • Total Posts : 1354
    Re:Whisky/bourbon question 2009/04/22 13:22:43 (permalink)
    I have a special relationship with W L Weller Special Reserve. It used to be available here only during the holidays,but it is more year-round now. I don't know it it is "peaty", but it sure is good!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15184
    Re:Whisky/bourbon question 2009/04/22 13:38:14 (permalink)
    I do like Woodford Reserve and recommend it for the 'Special Times' that some of us Old Guys like to share. We have visited WR's distillery a few times when we have out-of-town guests or RF visitors. It is a beautiful location with very nice folks doing the tours.

My second best vote would go to Knob Creek, which is the base for my favorite mixed drink...The RedNeck Whisky Sour.

As wisely stated above, I consider it my duty to enjoy whatever brand my host or hostess may offer when 'I' am the visitor!
    brisketboy
    • Total Posts : 1089
    Re:Whisky/bourbon question 2009/04/22 14:41:51 (permalink)
    For my tastes, peaty is Laphroig, Glenmoranie, or any of the Islay single malts.
    rumaki
    • Total Posts : 1015
    Re:Whisky/bourbon question 2009/04/22 15:56:39 (permalink)
    It's unusual for people to seek out "peaty" single malts as their first try, in my experience.  I like many kinds of single malts (highland, lowland, speyside, island, etc.), but I'm not enthusiastic about the "peaty"ones, myself.  For non-peaty Islay single malts, I'd recommend Bunnahabhain or Bruichladdich.  My husband loves Highland Park from the Orkneys.

For bourbon, I confess to having bought in to the Woodford Reserve mystique, but Maker's Mark is good, too. (I've toured both distilleries.)  Some of my Kentucky friends swear by Bookers or Bakers, but I can't say that I can detect a major difference between them.
    WarToad
    • Total Posts : 1839
    Re:Whisky/bourbon question 2009/05/22 09:10:39 (permalink)
    Having a tough time finding anything in backwoods ND.  Gonna have to head out to the big city of Fargo.  Heh.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15184
    Re:Whisky/bourbon question 2009/05/22 11:22:03 (permalink)
    Toad...
       Take a look at Costco. They stock some pretty good brands there...Buffalo Trace and Knob Creek stand out in my mind, but they have some of the better known stuff too !

Sorry-- I just checked and there are Costco's in MN and also in MT, but none in EITHER of the Dakotas. I would get a write-in demand going for equal representation to your friendly COSTCO people!!
    post edited by mayor al - 2009/05/22 11:33:17
    Bella Caffe
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    Re:Whisky/bourbon question 2009/08/09 10:41:46 (permalink)
    Do you like a good german rauchbier or smoke beer? If so, theres a great Single Malt Scotch thats a heavy smoked peat flavor. When I get back in town I'll have to double check which one it is (I think it might be balvenie, but I have to double check) If you read the label it will say its a smoked peat. It has a good smoke flavor to it like a German Smoke beer. Also, have you tried any of the beer that has been aged in scotch or whiskey barrels? Theres a few good ones out there. They use the whiskey barrel as the secondary fermenter & let it age for a little while. You get both the flavor of the whiskey plus the flavor of the wood barrel (adds a nice smokyness).
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5408
    Re:Whisky/bourbon question 2009/09/12 01:45:25 (permalink)
    Al, Costco around my parts doesn't sell hard liquor. Darn it!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1