Whistlin' Dixie

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Author
love2bake
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1477
Re:Whistlin' Dixie 2012/09/24 09:18:25 (permalink)
That's some pretty non-traditional looking ambrosia.  Most versions have oranges and coconut in there with the marshmallows.  Maybe they ran out or this is just their own take on it.

Anyway, this post sure made me hungry!  I should never read Roadfood first thing in the morning.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10474
Re:Whistlin' Dixie 2012/09/24 14:03:21 (permalink)
A few bonus photos:

At Longstreet Cafe, we saw a board where prayer requests were posted. 

I had never seen this in a restaurant before.  Luckily, WJ was in line ahead of me in the long cafeteria line,

because none of the food was labeled and we didn't know what a lot ofit was.  So, the question asking burden fell to him.  Because of the busy eating schedule we had a head of us, I went light, with only one biscuit, a pork tenderloin, a Polish sausage and a side of gravy. 

Everything was good, especially the juicy sausage.  

I don't think I mentioned this to WJ while we were here, but a guy at another table was staring at us while we were taking photos.  Usually, people will just look, whisper to the others at the table and then go back to what they were doing.  This guy was just staring.  I finally started staring back and he stopped after that.

At Ye Olde Colonial Cafeteria (how awful a name is that?), I was first through the line,

but WJ selected much better vegetables.  In fact, both his black eyed peas and sweet potato casserole were fantastic!  The chicken was just fine, but he definitely enjoyed it more than me. 

In the back of the photo, you can see the mac & cheese and green beans, neither of which made a big impression.  The best thing on my tray was the full flavored cabbage.

The atmosphere at YOCC (another reason the name doesn't work, look at the acronym it leaves) was enjoyable, but odd.  They greeted us so joyfully when we walked in the door, it was like they were so excited to actually have a customer.  And I enjoy an old time setting as much as the next guy, but the whole place could use a new coat of paint.

Jim Stalvey's was a great experience.  The locals around us were very friendly and made us feel welcome.  Somehow, they could tell that us Yankees weren't locals.  Wonder how they figured that out?  Anyway, they overheard us discussing what to get on our vegeatble plate and started offering suggestions.  And when the guy three booths away brought his sweet potatoes over for us to try, well, that is something I will never forget.  And this was also the first time I had ever seen pink lady peas.  Very good, but they were harder than expected.  

Here is the Roadfood legend working on his steak:

In his review for Jim Stalvey's, the Sterns write about the glass case of meat on display when you walk in the door. 

Funny, I missed it on the way in, but saw it on the way out.  They also mention that there are seats that have a window view into the kitchen, which obviously were these seats. 

Unfortunately, a few years ago, one customer complained about how digusting it was to be able to watch the kitchen workers and they went ahead and put shutters over the windows.  That's too bad, because that would have been fun.   
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Whistlin' Dixie 2012/09/24 15:20:51 (permalink)
Just like anyone else, I hate to sit in traffic.  Even worse is sitting in traffic that can be avoided.  And once I found out that Southern Pit BBQ is just down the road from the motor speedway and there was a big race that night, I would have preferred to avoid it all together.  But, this was a place that WJ really wanted to visit.  Just to be sure, I called them and asked how busy they were and they said that they were no busier than they usually are at that timeof a Saturday.  So, we pressed on.

I liked just about everything at this place, but there was no one thing that stood out.  That isn't completely true, because they did have the best sweet tea

from the entire weekend.  Here is my plate

with good beans, with plenty of bbq sauce and you can see the very mayo-ey cole slawin the back.  My butterfinger pie was light and simple and tasted just fine, but WJ's cobbler was indeed superior.  One of the best things at Southern Pit was their slogan,

which adorned the back of the employees t-shirts and this sign that hangs over the window looking into the kitchen.

HeartBreakSoup makes a compleiing case of why he does not consider Village Burger Roadfood, but we stillenjoyed our visit here.  We showed up late in the day and they were cleaning up to close.  Still, everyone from the waitress, to the manager to the cleanupcrew was overly friendly and accomodating.  We never felt rushed to leave, even though we ended up being the last inside customers.  And the burger was really good.  You can tell they use high quality beef.  Even better was the first-rate golden french fries.  They do offer what they call concretes and I ordered a chocolate one with peanut butter cup as a mix in. 

While certainly nothing that would make you think about Ted Drewes (and I wouldn't dare hold it upside down), it was still a fine way to conclude a busy day of eating.

An excellent all-around day!

chickenplucker
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 203
Re:Whistlin' Dixie 2012/09/24 15:33:40 (permalink)
Longstreet Cafe was named for General James Longstreet. He grew up In Gainesville before and retired and died in Gainesville after The Civil War.

http://ngeorgia.com/ang/james_longstreet
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Whistlin' Dixie 2012/09/24 15:42:46 (permalink)
chickenplucker-
Thanks for mentioning that.  There were photos and prints of the general on the wall, so I assumed that was the case, although I did not know the Gainesville connection.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7956
Re:Whistlin' Dixie 2012/09/24 18:38:09 (permalink)
love2bake....

I'm not certain if what I had at Longstreet Cafe was true ambrosia, it may just have been apple and raisin salad... I just didn't know what else to call it since it wasn't listed on the menu....

chickenplucker,

I'm always open to new history tidbits...thanks...

I'm glad that Buffetbuster added some additional photos and comments...

I may just do half of Sunday's report today and finish the rest tomorrow...Since Monday (labor day) is short.. I'll conclude that on Wednesday.....Since Buffetbuster was in Atlanta all day on labor day without me I'm sure he'll add his photos and report for that day too...

wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Whistlin' Dixie 2012/09/24 19:15:58 (permalink)
Sunday September 2

Considering that Buffetbuster doesn't drink coffee, it was nice of him to let me make a quick stop at Aurora Coffee in the Virginia Highlands for another solid coupla' cups of java...

We then headed south near the airport to

Barbecue Kitchen 

in College Park

Considering how close it is to the city, with the barnyard animal decor and down to earth atmosphere, when stepping inside it felt like you were out in the country.

Despite the name, Barbecue Kitchen is also known for their southern breakfasts and meat n three's at lunch...

Since we were disappointed  that the Silver Skillet was closed for the holiday weekend, we thought we would have breakfast here...

I started out with a bowl of grits and some biscuits which were fine but nothing out of the ordinary...

I was really jonesing for some good country ham and red eye gravy. I knew I wouldn't be getting any at Silver Skillet on this trip and the country ham at the Long Street cafe was sought of a let down...

I enjoyed the  country ham it was not overly salty or shoe leather chewy like some country ham can be, however we agreed the red eye gravy had way more "coffee" than "redeye" flavor , despite that I still enjoyed it....

As we left, I couldn't help noticing the cans of "bawled p-nuts" that were on display near the cash register..

After breakfast, we left Atlanta again heading east for lunch...

The Blue Willow Inn

about an hour away from Atlanta in Social Circle

The Grounds are truly immaculate and nicely landscaped giving off a  gentile, tranquil aura...

and the atmosphere is second to none....

I know Buffetbuster just loves this place, but honestly  after my second visit I still find the food to be hit or miss..

Service is  buffet style, since we arrived just as they were opening for lunch, we took advantage of this by getting photos of the various  buffet display tables....I'm hoping that Buffetbuster will post those photos...

I began with 

Chicken Dumpling soup which once again was just absolutely magnificent....

I then continued with some warm cornbread

And made my way to plate # 1

The only thing truly outstanding on this plate were the candied yams....The fried green tomato was actually pretty decent too, the fried chicken was just too salty and I really didn't care for the breading/crust at all ... The ribs to the left were just a complete disaster, most likely boiled and then baked it was covered in a sugary sweet glaze that tried to pass itself off as bbq sauce...I really don't remember much of anything else on this plate..

However I did decide to go for round # 2...

Of course I had to return for some more of those candied yams, the mac n cheese was actually ok, but I've had better on the trip, and I did enjoy the green beans but they still take a back seat to those at Matthew's Cafeteria which I had a few days earlier...

Now we come to dessert...

Warm albeit soupy peach cobbler....

However the pies arrived with much applause..

The peanut butter pie at the bottom with a dense chunky peanut butter filling  was really good, however the rich sweet-sour buttermilk pie at the top was truly a keeper. Probably one of the best desserts of the trip. I cannot imagine the buttermilk pie not finding a slot on the top 10 pie list at the end of the year...

Despite some of it's shortcomings at the Blue Willow Inn, the hits truly shine...

Afterwards we returned to Atlanta for some afternoon sight seeing...

More to come either later this evening or tomorrow..

post edited by wanderingjew - 2012/09/25 07:17:31
chickenplucker
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 203
Re:Whistlin' Dixie 2012/09/24 19:42:02 (permalink)
That peanut butter pie is a bear to get onto a plate in a real slice. You did much better than I did the last time I was there....
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13546
Re:Whistlin' Dixie 2012/09/24 20:03:49 (permalink)
You know:::  I sure do appreciate BB and WJ posting.  I am retired and do not travel so much anymore and to hear of the travels of the two sure do energize me and wish to travel.  I miss the business travel but it is over now and I am just settled down to life in Knoxville

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Whistlin' Dixie 2012/09/24 20:35:08 (permalink)
Paul  

Thanks, I hope that your retirement and settling down will not exclude you from the annual Glee Club President's Day Weekend  gathering in February
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4608
Re:Whistlin' Dixie 2012/09/24 21:07:39 (permalink)
wanderingjew
we returned to Atlanta

PIZZA TIME!!!!!!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Whistlin' Dixie 2012/09/24 21:28:55 (permalink)
Looks Like I'm going to complete Sunday's events tonight

Sunday September 2 Continued

Over the last year or two I've managed to make it to a couple of Presidential Museums and Libraries.... Today was no exception.

An an in depth look at the 39th president of the United States.

Including his private life, service in the navy and his profession as peanut farmer...

The museum also included some of the more notable terms of his presidency including the mid east peace talks and the Iran hostage crisis.... as well as his post presidency years as  a philanthropist and nobel peace prize winner..

and there is "his royal pieness"  leaving the oval office.

Afterwards, I walked the grounds of the museum and library...

apparently there were others who decided to join me..

Downtown Atlanta can bee seen in the foreground...

After we left the museum, it was time  to head downtown....for my final ballgame of the season..

at Turner Field home of the Atlanta Braves..

It was a late afternoon game beginning at 5pm and the Braves were Hosting the Phillies. As you all know, these are 
Buffetbuster's favorite teams  .....seriously, I couldn't think of two baseball teams that Buffetbuster dislike even more, so once again, I appreciate that he did not writher in complete disgust....

The exterior of the ballpark pays homeage to several former players..

Although we had really good seats, there is nothing really distinguishable inside the park

I did find out that my zoom lense works well and caught some unexpected suprises.

Some of you may not know that this is likely  Chipper Jones' last season...

The game itself was certainly far from a pitcher's dual and it actually dragged, we were hoping to leave at the 7th inning stretch so that we can get to our dinner stop before closing. Philly had a nice comfortable lead, however the game dragged out much longer than expected and we left just before the end of the 6th inning....(we later found out that Philly competely blew their lead and the Braves won 8-7) We all know how happy Buffetbuster was about that! 

After leaving the game it was a short drive to our dinner destination..

The Colonnade  

In Atlanta 

Another place with some great neon.. 

Like the sign says, since 1927. The Colonnade has a very "old school" clubby atmosphere and a menu reminiscent of an upscale diner...

We began our meal with a surprisingly good bread tray...

We especially enjoyed those wheat rolls on top....

I actually ordered something that I haven't ordered in over two decades, and  the Colonnade spruced up version was a nice surprise...

Smothered Calves liver with granny smith applies, onions and bacon in a rich demi-glase....

Once again I think I won with the sides...

Green Bean  Casserole which I believe was one of the specials.. 

and Sweet Potato Souffle

Buffetbuster was hoping that the same slice of pie that was on the menu last time would be available this time , unfortunately it wasnt....Buffetbuster also made me promise "at all costs" that I need to disuade him from ordering the hot fudge cake...

Therefore, I ordered it instead....It was fine it reminded me of a hot fudge brownie sundae, but after looking at the menu again 3 weeks later I wondered why I didn't order the coconut icebox pie?

I enjoyed my visit to the Colonnade..... but in retrospect I think, moreso I really enjoyed the atmosphere . Be that as it may, it was a great send off.... As I will be leaving Atlanta the next day to travel back to Charlotte to catch my flight home...

Afterwards we drove back to our hotels and said our "Good Bye's" Buffetbuster will be on his own in Atlanta on Labor day...

the final chapter...later in the week...

post edited by wanderingjew - 2012/09/25 07:23:43
love2bake
Re:Whistlin' Dixie 2012/09/24 21:41:23 (permalink)
That's so sweet about them posting the prayer concerns!

The cafeteria looks like my kind of place.  I don't recall seeing any pictures of pie, though. :(
love2bake
Re:Whistlin' Dixie 2012/09/24 21:48:11 (permalink)
Did that buttermilk pie have lemon in it?  Some do and some don't.  Do you have a preference?  That's actually a question for anyone who cares to answer.  Thanks!
Texascajun
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 142
Re:Whistlin' Dixie 2012/09/24 22:30:21 (permalink)
Great report and pictures as usual for you and Buffetbuster as well.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Whistlin' Dixie 2012/09/25 07:43:27 (permalink)
Texascajun

Thanks for reading...

Chickenplucker

If I recall, I think Buffetbuster had better luck with a more photogenic slice of peanutbutter pie...

love2bake

At first I wasn't sure if there was any lemon juice in that buttermilk pie, but the more I think about it, it wouldn't surprise me if there was...

--

Since the last chapter is short, I think I'm going to conclude it tonight...
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Whistlin' Dixie 2012/09/25 08:27:50 (permalink)
Unfortunately, my slice of peanut butter pie fell so apart, I didn't even bother taking a photo of it.  WJ asked if I could post some photos of the food on the buffet from Blue Willow Inn, so here is what I have:

The desserts available on the octagon table were chocolate cake, apple pie, lemon meringue pie, brownies, pecan pie, buttermilk pie and peanut butter pie, plus the peach cobbler, which had a table all by itself.

That was a nice bonus that we were there when they opened so that we could all those photos without being too much of a public nuisance.  Oh, and those photos aren't everything on the buffet, just a quick overview.  There was plenty more there. 

post edited by buffetbuster - 2012/09/25 08:43:17
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8646
Re:Whistlin' Dixie 2012/09/25 12:12:11 (permalink)
My, God-awesome looking food!!!!!!!!!
mhill95
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 194
Re:Whistlin' Dixie 2012/09/25 13:40:51 (permalink)
I have been to the Blue Willow many times and never been
dissapointed. They offer an abundance of freshly prepared
favorites. We always try to arrive early.
Great pics!
mike
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Whistlin' Dixie 2012/09/25 17:51:20 (permalink)
Monday September 3

After finally getting a good quality night's sleep, my initial plans were to hit Mc$tarbuck$, however since I got up early enough  I decided at the last minute to return to Aurora Coffee in the Virgnia Highlands for some good quality dark roast coffee. Although it was 40 miles out of my way, there was little traffic on the 20+ mile jaunt down to Atlanta and back... Afterwards I packed my bags and left Atlanta without TJ Jackson's Pizza and without TTM's Banana Pudding heading on the road back to Charlotte..

I made one final stop on the way down for lunch

The Beacon Drive In
in Spartansburg SC
Fortunately I can think of very few occasions where I save the worst meal for last, unfortunately THIS was one of those occasions.

First of all the portions are ridiculously huge....

I started out with what i thought was going to be a small order of hushpuppies...

Sadly, these are one of the most disappointing hushpuppies I've ever had.  They did not taste fresh, they were hard and had the flavor of tasteless dough balls. No onion or corn flavor what-so ever...

For my main meal, I had the pimento cheese- a plenty...

Plenty of what? I don't know. Everything just tasted like a huge disgusting grease pit- I'm not going to base my first impression of a pimento cheese sandwich on this - If I did I would never have one again...

The fun doesn't end here...

This poor excuse for peach cobbler is nothing more than canned peaches doused with probably an entire box of sugar...

The only positive thing is that the onion rings could have been good if they were served hot and fresh...

The Beacon Drive In  actually supersedes Fat Matt's Rib Shack as the worst meal of the trip...

It's a shame my roadfooding had to end on such a poor note...

I continued on to Charlotte, noticed the heightened security getting into the Airport due to the DNC which was to begin the next day...

After one more Mecklenburg Ale at the airport I flew home non stop and was back home by 6:30 PM

Epilogue and footnotes next week...

carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
Re:Whistlin' Dixie 2012/09/25 18:04:35 (permalink)
WJ & BB, my new heroes!!  I want to travel with you!
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 902
Re:Whistlin' Dixie 2012/09/25 21:33:46 (permalink)
Oh man. Sorry about the dismal meal at Beacon Drive In.
ces1948
  • Total Posts : 1512
Re:Whistlin' Dixie 2012/09/25 21:41:33 (permalink)
I've just never been enclined to try out the Beacon though I've been near a few times. Always looked like a greasy mess to me.
will_work_4_bbq
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 437
Re:Whistlin' Dixie 2012/09/25 22:08:21 (permalink)
Great trip report!  I enjoyed it so much!
love2bake
Re:Whistlin' Dixie 2012/09/26 00:09:43 (permalink)
Bummer about the Beacon!  I think SC hush puppies don't typically have onion, but they should at least be fresh!  When I've had them they seemed like cornmeal donuts, which was not a bad thing. :)))

I really enjoyed your trip report!!!  Thanks for posting.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5204
Re:Whistlin' Dixie 2012/09/26 08:48:04 (permalink)
Wow, talk about ending with a crash 'n' burn...the worst part is that there was no subsequent good meal to lessen the pain.

But it was still a great trip and report, WJ!
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4608
Re:Whistlin' Dixie 2012/09/26 08:53:24 (permalink)
wanderingjew
I packed my bags and left Atlanta without TJ Jackson's Pizza

wanderingjew
The Beacon Drive In  actually supersedes Fat Matt's Rib Shack as the worst meal of the trip...

Seee?  You coulda gotten a carryout from Varasano's and ate it on the road......

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Whistlin' Dixie 2012/09/26 09:00:38 (permalink)
In slight defense of Beacon Drive-In, the item they are best known for, the sweet tea, was understandably not tried by WJ.  But, there is no doubt that their food is greasy.  I'm not saying they have the best food in the world, but it does look like they were having a particularly bad day when WJ was there. 
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Whistlin' Dixie 2012/09/26 09:27:02 (permalink)
I looked back at my past trip reports (yes, all of them going back now almost 9 1/2 years) exluding short weekend trips, there are only a handful of times where I was less than pleased with the last meal of the trip... However this is the first time the last meal just completely BOMBED...

Also in Beacon Drive In's defense- they were packed on labor day- I'm assuming because everything else was likely closed for the holiday.

BTW, I'm hoping Buffetbuster will post photos of his final day in Atlanta
post edited by wanderingjew - 2012/09/26 09:29:00
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Whistlin' Dixie 2012/10/01 18:33:10 (permalink)
Epilogue and Footnotes....

Now that the Connecticut Bus Tour is but a fond memory, as promised a recap of my last big roadtrip of the year...

Best Coffee- Aurora Coffee-Atlanta GA
Best Microbrew- Rye Pale Ale (Terrapin Brewing Company)- Athens Ga  (Enjoyed at Village Burger- Dunwoody GA)
Best Non Roadfood Events- Atlanta History Center and The Jimmy Carter Library and Museum- Atlanta GA
Best Meals of the Trip- Community BBQ Decatur GA & Matthew's Cafeteria Tucker GA
Best Banana Pudding- Matthew's Cafeteria
- Tucker GA
Best Cobbler- Blackberry Cobbler- Southern Pit- Griffin GA
Rotten Tomatoes- Fat Matt's Rib Shack  Atlanta GA and Beacon Drive In- Spartansburg SC
Best Roadfood Gatherings- Nancypalooza   @ True BBQ - Columbia SC
                                            Hearbreaksoup, Marie and their little tyke @ Spiced Right BBQ- Roswell GA
                                            Labor Day Weekend in Atlanta with Buffetbuster

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1