Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Whistlin' Dixie

Change Page: < 123456 > | Showing page 4 of 6, messages 91 to 120 of 168
ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
Re:Whistlin' Dixie Mon, 09/17/12 6:21 PM (permalink)
By the way, Dale, I fancy myself as Scarlett.......

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
    Re:Whistlin' Dixie Mon, 09/17/12 6:29 PM (permalink)
    By the way, Dale, I fancy myself as Scarlett.......

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7379
      • Roadfood Insider
      Re:Whistlin' Dixie Mon, 09/17/12 7:30 PM (permalink)
      Friday August 31

Returning once again to the Virginia Highlands for some good coffee, I decided to try Aurora Coffee this time, and I believe I made the right decision to switch coffee houses although admittingly I did prefer the atmosphere at San Francisco Roasting, however I declare Aurora Coffee the best coffee  of the trip.

Today I'll be checking out of my hotel in Buckhead, unfortunately due to a plethora of events and goings on in Atlanta over labor day weekend all the hotels in Atlanta are all booked up, that' means I'll be moving on up the the NE suburbs- out in Duluth.

After checking out of my hotel, I realized that since I enjoyed my visit yesterday at Matthew's Cafeteria in Tucker, a return visit was in order...Checking out their website and discovering that fried chicken will be available was certainly a motivator.

I began my meal once again with some warm, slightly sweet cornbread

Making my way to some fried chicken, mac n cheese and limas...

The fried chicken was fine, but did not blow me away. I found  it was slightly saltier than what I'm used to, and I thought the serving size was a little stingy (just one breast) but it certainly wasn't bad.

Once again the veggies just shined, porky lima beans and custardy mac n cheese clearly puts Matthew's once again as my favorite of the trip...

Dessert of course was a must...

Peach Cobbler (which I'll have 3 more times during the course of the trip) and yes this was the best of the lot!

After lunch, I thought about dropping my car back at my old hotel and taking the short walk to "Marta" which is Atlanta's Rail System and heading to the King Memorial, however I decided against it for two reasons, I had already been there (although it has been over two decades) and I didn't want to spend all day and night in downtown Atlanta, as it was exceptionally warm and muggy.

Instead I decided to check out a place I never visited- Marietta Square out in the burbs..

Lined with really interesting shops and restaurants, the square seemed classically southern to me..

I have no idea who this guy is. Mr Marietta perhaps?

I did make several stops during the course of the afternoon (probably more than I should have)

My first stop was at Cool Beans Coffee Roasters for an exceptional cool and refreshing coffee frappe (shake) as if that wasn't enough....
      I stopped at this very interesting ice cream shop called

Sweetreats

for this amazingly creamy cup of  raspberry cheesecake ice cream. It actually had chunks of cheese cake in it....This was truly a treat...It's a regional chain with a handful of locations in North Carolina too, but I believe this is the only location in Georgia

As if this wasn't enough, I found another "conventional" ice cream parlor in the square...

Sarah Jean's Ice Cream....

I love their sign in the window.....

Here's a closer look..

They even had a miniature "choo-choo" n that was making it's away around the shop..
      They use local Greenwood ice  cream out of Atlanta  but it is not made on the premises.

I went with the Banana Pudding ice cream, it was ok, but was lacking that "Moo Factor"..

I decided to leave Marietta right before rush hour traffic got too hectic...

I parked at my old hotel which was a short 1/2 mile walk to  the  "Marta" stop and found myself at Five Points Station in Hotlanta after dealing with a packed subway car of college football fans who were heading to the Georgia Dome.

I ended up walking the underground for a bit- which to me is just another shopping mall..

I then got out and decided to check out the sights and sounds of downtown "Hotlanta"

Including this nice park....

It was also great to see folks playing a stimulating game of chess..

Peachtree center lurks in the background...

As I was making my way up Peachtree Street walking towards mid town, I observed all the freaks and weirdos in costume getting ready for Dragoncon weekend.

Finally I ended up walking to my dinner stop....

The legendary....

Mary's Mac's Tea Room

This is the Katz's Deli or Durgin Park of Hotlanta

Frequented by folks like Ted Turner and former president Jimmy Carter some folks really, really like this place (Travelin Man) and some...errrr....not so much (Buffetbuster) ,,,

Put me somewhere in the middle...

I haven't been here since 1994 so I was looking forward to checking it out again...

My meal began with an assorted bread basket of corn bread, cinnamon roll and other stuff...

This time when I ordered something, they actually gave me something that I was expecting...

Country Fried Steak, Tomato Pie and Brocolli Casserole...

Now this is what Country Fried Steak looks like- fork tender with a rich brown gravy, very reminiscent of what I enjoyed at Sylvan Park in Nashville earlier this year...

The brocolli casserole was fine but I've had better veggie options..

The true star of the meal was the incredibly rich and decadent tomato pie......recommended by Nancypalooza, this was almost too much of a good thing... and it's as simple as diced tomatoes, ritz crackers and cheese and mayo
      Dessert was completely out of the question, not only becasue I over indulged in ice cream earlier in the day, but also because I knew what I was going to be in store for later on in the evening...

Afterwards I walked back up to Peachtree Street and made my way further into midtown. I stopped at Taco Mac- a chain of multi taps in the Atlanta area. I tried a local pale ale from Sweet Water Brewing...as well as a wheat beer from Boulevard in Kansas City....afterwards I walked up to 10th and Peachtree at which time I had to head back towards downtown Atlanta... for another legendary stop...

The Varsity...

Probably the largest drive through in the country...

This is where I'll be meeting up with Buffetbuster who flew down for Labor Day Weekend...

I love the neon at this place...

After locating Buffetbuster 

We approached the order line as the counter girl yelled out "What'lya Have, What'ly Have??"

After perusing the menu...

I ordered two chili slaw dogs after some of my appetite returned from all the walking I did...

The dogs were fine...I could certainly see really enjoying these after a night of binge drinking...

Buffetbuster ordered a burger, a chili slaw dog and some onion rings to share (I did like those onion rings)

as well as a  frosted orange. I tried a sip or two and it tasted just like a creamsicle..

and for dessert...

a fried pie-  I don't recall the flavor as I didn't try  any....

Now it was time for round number 2

Fat Matt's Rib Shack

Bottle of their BBQ sauce are on display in front

The atmosphere seems cool although A bit contrived...

I wasn't hungry at all at this point but the trooper I am- onward march...

Taking a  look at their menu board I went with a chopped pork sandwich and a side of brunswick stew...

Taking photos were a challenge as the restaurant was very dimly lit, so this is the first (and only occasion) where I had to resort to flash...

The chopped pork sandwich was a complete and utter disappointment. Probably one of (if not the worst) meal of the trip....It was just swimming in sauce... it had a pasty consistency and complely lacking in smoke flavor...

Unfortunately the brunswick stew didn't fare any better- it had a pureed consistency and an overwhelming flavor of bbq sauce...

I did try some of Buffetbuster's "rum beans" and they were well.....rummy

On the bright side....

Although they did have a  decent  blues band playing count me as someone who will not be returning to Fat Matt's in the future......

Afterwards we called it a night...Buffetbuster dropped me off at my car in Buckhead and I took the drive out to my new hotel "La Quinta" out in Duluth......

Much more to come later in the week....

<message edited by wanderingjew on Tue, 09/18/12 9:00 AM>

buffetbuster

Re:Whistlin' Dixie Mon, 09/17/12 8:18 PM (permalink)
        Since WJ has spent a lotmore time in Atlanta than I have, it came as a surprise that this was his first visit to The Varsity.  Not that it is that great of a restaurant, but it is something that every Roadfooder should experience at least once.  On most of the prior visits, I didn't get anything along the lines of the famous "What'll you have, what'll you have" call the order takers are supposed to use.  This time, most of the registers were open and just about every single one was calling out.  Having lots of options, we walked over to the smiling face of the young lady

who was calling out the loudest!

WJ's assessment of Fat Matt's is spot on.  It just isn't very good.  This was my second visit and I don't see any reason to go back.  I think the band's name was Spanky and the Love Handles and they were also playing when Mariton and I stopped in last Summer.
        <message edited by buffetbuster on Mon, 09/17/12 8:20 PM>

BigGlenn

Re:Whistlin' Dixie Mon, 09/17/12 9:11 PM (permalink)
          I cant see calling that "Chicken Fried" Steak....Whats fried about it? I call it "Smothered Steak" or even "Salsibury Steak" But true Southern Chicken Fried Ssteak is deep freied in oil or on a flat top with or without gravy on top after its on the plate. Just my opinion......Love your Trip Reports May have to do one with you some day...LOL

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
            Re:Whistlin' Dixie Mon, 09/17/12 9:47 PM (permalink)
            Fun to read your report and see the fun you both had.  I loved the Varsity and the Silver Skillet and the MLK site. Hope someday to go back.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
              Re:Whistlin' Dixie Tue, 09/18/12 8:56 AM (permalink)
              BigGlenn

Exactly, it's not Chicken Fried Steak,it's Country Fried Steak. Just about every meat n three around the south serves it just like this.   If I recall you're an Arkansas native, yes?  I'm guessing Chicken Fried Steak is probably more commonplace there considering that its close to Oklahoma . I don't know if I've ever had "smothered steak" but it certainly ain't Salisbury Steak...

Would love to head back to the left coast again. I had a great time with all of you in LA 3 1/2 years ago (still can't believe it's been that long)

Mr Chips

We never made it to Silver Skillet .  I know that Travelin Man is going is going to have severe anxiety attacks, but we actually CALLED  QUITE A FEW RESTAURANTS IN ADVANCE because we figured several would be closed over labor day weekend, and unfortunately Silver Skillet was one of them
              <message edited by wanderingjew on Tue, 09/18/12 9:02 AM>

buffetbuster

Re:Whistlin' Dixie Tue, 09/18/12 9:04 AM (permalink)
                I'm still bitter that Silver Skillet was closed the entire weekend.  It is far and away my favorite Atlanta Roadfood restaurant.

icecreamchick

• Total Posts: 99
                  Re:Whistlin' Dixie Tue, 09/18/12 1:38 PM (permalink)
                  Great report, WJ, and I'm looking forward to reading more.

I've been to the Varsity at "prime time" -- it was after midnight and apparently it was prom night for at least one school in Atlanta the night we were there. It was a long time ago (2002 maybe), but I do remember the "What'll you have, what'll you have!"  It was quite a night with a lot of characters in the restaurant.

I also clearly need to do some more research on mac and cheese. Debates aside, it's one of my favorites, and quite a few of the pics in this thread have me wanting to make some. Or do some traveling to Dixie Land!

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
                    Re:Whistlin' Dixie Wed, 09/19/12 12:15 AM (permalink)
                    wanderingjew

I know that Travelin Man is going is going to have severe anxiety attacks, but we actually CALLED  QUITE A FEW RESTAURANTS IN ADVANCE because we figured several would be closed over labor day weekend, and unfortunately Silver Skillet was one of them 

You want to call restaurants in advance, go ahead. It seems like a waste of time to me. On the other hand, the fact that you searched all over the south for good banana pudding, but chose not to order any at Mary Mac's is quite disturbing.

As for Fat Matt's Rib Shack, I did enjoy the place on my visit. I ordered the ribs, which (a) are in the title of the restaurant; and (b) conspicuously absent from your order. It's possible that this is the item in which they excel? Also, despite the fact that they're open late, I have generally found good barbecue to not be a late-night thing. 

Fat Matt's could also fall into the continued discussion of the quality of the reviews written by folks that are not on the Roadfood editorial staff.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                      Re:Whistlin' Dixie Wed, 09/19/12 10:29 AM (permalink)
                      TTM
                      Actually calling in advance was Buffetbuster's idea. But you are the expert on perfect timing.

You're almost as bad  with your Banana Pudding @ Mary Mac's as TJ Jackson is with his Atlanta Pizza. However, you're right, I shouldn't have loaded up on ice cream and coffee frappes that afternoon. My mistake.

I've seen Fat Matt's on the food network and travel channel before so I'm glad I got to check out the place at least once.  Next time you're in Atlanta, you really should check out Community BBQ in Decatur or Spiced Right BBQ in Roswell, I think you would like them.

Unfortunately there will be one more bomb on this trip- and it's a Roadfood legend too that everyone either loves or hates. It will be the last meal of the trip on the way back to Charlotte from Atlanta.

icecreamchick

The south is probably the only part of the country where I'll indulge in Mac N Cheese.
                      Looking forward to seeing you and Ralph in CT next week.

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4481
                        Re:Whistlin' Dixie Wed, 09/19/12 10:34 AM (permalink)
                        wanderingjew

You're almost as bad........as TJ Jackson
                        *grin*

Glad to see my efforts still considered to be the benchmark :-)
                        <message edited by TJ Jackson on Wed, 09/19/12 11:53 AM>

kevincad

• Total Posts: 399
                          Re:Whistlin' Dixie Wed, 09/19/12 11:06 AM (permalink)
                          wanderingjew

BigGlenn

Exactly, it's not Chicken Fried Steak,it's Country Fried Steak. Just about every meat n three around the south serves it just like this.   If I recall you're an Arkansas native, yes?  I'm guessing Chicken Fried Steak is probably more commonplace there considering that its close to Oklahoma . I don't know if I've ever had "smothered steak" but it certainly ain't Salisbury Steak...

Would love to head back to the left coast again. I had a great time with all of you in LA 3 1/2 years ago (still can't believe it's been that long)

Mr Chips

We never made it to Silver Skillet .  I know that Travelin Man is going is going to have severe anxiety attacks, but we actually CALLED  QUITE A FEW RESTAURANTS IN ADVANCE because we figured several would be closed over labor day weekend, and unfortunately Silver Skillet was one of them

WJ and BB, your assessment of Fat Matt's is spot on. I go there for a few beers and blues, NOT for the que! As for Mary Mac's, the AJC (Atlanta's newspaper) gave out a recipe for the outstanding tomato pie. BUT, I've made it at home, it's very, very good, BUT again, not as good as getting at Mary Mac's! Also, the statue in Marietta's square is of noted Marietta orator Alexander Stephens Clay.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_S._Clay

kevincad

Re:Whistlin' Dixie Wed, 09/19/12 11:07 AM (permalink)
                            buffetbuster

I'm still bitter that Silver Skillet was closed the entire weekend.  It is far and away my favorite Atlanta Roadfood restaurant.

Yes, I love the Silver Skillet!

kevincad

Re:Whistlin' Dixie Wed, 09/19/12 11:10 AM (permalink)
                              wanderingjew

TTM
                              Actually calling in advance was Buffetbuster's idea. But you are the expert on perfect timing.

You're almost as bad  with your Banana Pudding @ Mary Mac's as TJ Jackson is with his Atlanta Pizza. However, you're right, I shouldn't have loaded up on ice cream and coffee frappes that afternoon. My mistake.

I've seen Fat Matt's on the food network and travel channel before so I'm glad I got to check out the place at least once.  Next time you're in Atlanta, you really should check out Community BBQ in Decatur or Spiced Right BBQ in Roswell, I think you would like them.

Unfortunately there will be one more bomb on this trip- and it's a Roadfood legend too that everyone either loves or hates. It will be the last meal of the trip on the way back to Charlotte from Atlanta.

icecreamchick

The south is probably the only part of the country where I'll indulge in Mac N Cheese.
                              Looking forward to seeing you and Ralph in CT next week.

The original Spiced Right is in Lilburn, east of ATL. If the Roswell location is anywhere near as good, you had a real que treat!

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                                Re:Whistlin' Dixie Thu, 09/20/12 7:17 PM (permalink)
                                Saturday September 1

Considering this was Buffetbuster's first full day in Atlanta, this was going to be a straight eating day.
                                Since we were heading for points north and were going to do a half circle loop around the periphery of Rural Atlanta from north to sout.  I had to settle for Mc$tarbuck$ near my hotel. 

Our breakfast stop was

Longstreet Cafe

In Gainesville GA

The building itself was rather generic

Service was cafeteria style, at least for breakfast it was and everything was a la carte

There was a kid in front of us with his family who seemed very knowlegable of all the items on the menu. Apparently he's been going there practically since day 1.

This item at the beginning of the lne caught my attention

I believe its' called ambrosia and has apples, marshmallows, raisins and other stuff...

I couldn't turn down the cheese grits

I also ordered the tenderloin on the top left, the oddest country ham I ever had to it's right, along with some cathead biscuits and gravy. I didn't care for the country ham the way it was prepared- it was battered and fried, however the tenderloin was actually pretty good and I really enjoyed those cathead biscuits. The rest of the meal wasn't overly impressive.   

Our next stop certainly had much more character and the food was actually a little better too.

Ye Old Colonial Restaurant 

Located on small town main street in Madison GA

This place (or at least the building) has been around since the 1800's and it certainly shows. Housed in a former bank, it appears the inside is a little run down however it still wreaks of character

The specials are posted as you walk in.

And once again, service is cafeteria style, albeit the choices are much fewer than at the Long Street Cafe

I enjoyed the warm slightly sweet cornbread

The black eyed peas were just about perfect and I really enjoyed the sweet potato casserole. I think I enjoyed the fried chicken moreso than Buffetbuster did but I don't think it was the best of the trip.

Unfortunately we found the peach cobbler a bit too soupy (it was still warm)

Overall I enjoyed Ye Old Colonial Restaurant but I'm not sure if I would go out of my way to head back there.

We were trying to decide where to head for our next stop...We finally agreed on 

Jim Stalvey's Fine Foods

in Covington GA

Apparently famous for their steaks and onion rings we figured we would try both.

The meal begins with a bread basket. 

We decided we would each order a different plate and split it.

Buffetbuster got the vegetable plate after consulting with some locals who actually brought over a sample of their
                                portertdale sweet potatos.

I thought the dressing and cranberry sauce were just so so and the as were the pink lady peas, The rutabagas were really good however the star of this plate were the porterdale sweet potatos, named for the town where they originated from.  They tasted like "candy"

I went for the petit filet and the onion rings...

The onion rings were completely greaseless with a tempura style coating and although I'm usually overcritical that filet's tend to be on the dry side, this one was actually quite juicy...

Here's a close up of that filet...

Jim Stalvey's was a nice surprise. And you can't beat fraternizing with the locals for a truly unique experience.

We had a decent drive before hitting lunch number 3 (or early dinner # 2)
                                we were getting a little nervous as we were concerned about hitting traffic  as we were getting closer to the Atlanta Motor Speedway as they were having a big Nascar event later that evening. Surprisingly we did not hit any traffic.

Our next stop was 

Southern Pit Bar B Que

In Griffin GA

Decorated with Piggy Portraits

and happy pig figurines...

Its always fun to see happy piggies smiling as they head for a gruesome demise before being eaten...

Where there's even a choo-choo that winds its way through the restaurant.

Squirt bottles of bbq sauce on each table

Anyway, 

How was the food?

For the most party pretty good!

Like  the now closed Harold's BBQ, Southern Pit is one of the few places that serve cracklin' corn bread which went very well with the exceptional brunswick stew which wasn't as thick as the others I've had but it was just loaded with shredded meat and bursting with smokey flavor.

The pulled pork itself was well smoked and loaded with plenty of Mr Brown and Ms White. This went well with the creamy slaw. My only gripe is that the q came pre-sauced, although the vinegary-sweet sauce did go very well with the pork...

Here's a closeup of the crackin' corn bread

and the Brunswick Stew

Unfortunately I didn't think the pre-sauced baby backs were anything special... Although they were certainly not the worst I've had (that will happen tomorrow)

Now on to dessert which are home-made....

Buffetbuster ordered I believe what was called "snickers pie"

I had a bite and it tasted fine......However I think when it came to choosing dessert, I won this time!

This blackberry cobbler was clearly the best cobbler of the trip...

I thought Southern Pit was another winner (minus the baby backs)

We made our way back towards Atlanta, actually passing the Atlanta Motor Speedway without any traffic. 

We headed back to our respective hotels for a brief resting break (Buffetbuster rested, not me) before dinner.

Our last stop of the day was a burger joint in Dunwoody.

Village Burger 

in Dunwoody

You'll notice the closed sign, I actually took the photo after we ate. We got there late

You will all have to bear with me, I forgot my camera so these photos were taken on my smart phone

I got the house burger with cheddar and grilled onions. What I liked about this burger is the big beefy, juicy flavor which seemed to be lacking at those burger joints on the south left coast....

We also got some fresh cut fries to share...

Although I thoroughly enjoyed a fine burger, that wasn't actually the star of the meal...

This Rye Pale Ale from the Terrapin Brewery out of Athens Georgia was clearly the best beer of the trip. I would have easily ordered another if they weren't ready to close....

Overall it was  a very productive day. We were both tired and we were looking forward to another full day in Atlanta ...

More to come....next week.......Two more chapters and the "epilogue and footnotes" 

The trip report will be completed prior to the Connecticut Roadfood Bus Tour.

Heartbreaksoup

• Total Posts: 407
                                  Re:Whistlin' Dixie Thu, 09/20/12 7:56 PM (permalink)
                                  I'm still not really sure that Village Burger counts as Roadfood, but they are pretty good.  I like the similar Moxie Burger in Mayretta a little better, though.  Other than Longstreet, we've featured each of these places on our blog and liked them all, and I'm glad you enjoyed Southern Pit!  That's a special place for my wife and me - we stopped there for the first time on our way to the coast to get hitched in '09.

TJ Jackson

Re:Whistlin' Dixie Thu, 09/20/12 10:06 PM (permalink)
                                    Now hold on a second here - a burger and a steak in Georgia?

Seriously?

Where's the strict regional appropriateness we have come to expect - nay, DEPEND on - from you, WJ? :-)

Next, you'll go off the deep end and order, oh, i don't know -- maybe a pizza in Atlanta.  CRAZY TALK! 

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                                      Re:Whistlin' Dixie Fri, 09/21/12 8:41 AM (permalink)
                                      Heartbreaksoup

I'm curious why you think Village Burger is not Roadfood?
                                      Like I said when when we met for dinner, you and your blog were tremendously helpful when I/we decided where to go (pre and post Buffetbuster)

TJ

Last I checked, burgers and steaks are pretty much universal. I'll admit I was hoping they would have the southern style burger offering at Village Burger and you can't discount those southern veggies at Jim Stalvey's

buffetbuster

Re:Whistlin' Dixie Fri, 09/21/12 8:53 AM (permalink)
                                        TJ-
                                        Feel free to blame the visits to Jim Stalvey's and Village Burger on me.  Who knows, left to his own devices and without me there, maybe he would have gone for pizza afterall!

Since we were staying north of the city, we also considered a stop at Owen Webb's Snack Shack in Jefferson, which is written up in 500 Things to Eat for their biscuits.  But WJ called them and they have apparently changed their name and made some other changes, too.  Hey WJ, what was that?  Was it something like they only offer biscuits at lunchtime or something like that?

wanderingjew

• Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                          Re:Whistlin' Dixie Fri, 09/21/12 9:25 AM (permalink)
                                          Buffetbuster

If I recall, Owen Webb's or whatever they changed their name too did not open until lunchtime.

TJ Jackson

Re:Whistlin' Dixie Fri, 09/21/12 9:27 AM (permalink)
                                            buffetbuster

left to his own devices and without me there, maybe he would have gone for pizza afterall

More crazy talk :-)

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9526
                                              Re:Whistlin' Dixie Fri, 09/21/12 10:05 AM (permalink)
                                              Heartbreaksoup

I'm still not really sure that Village Burger counts as Roadfood, but they are pretty good.  I like the similar Moxie Burger in Mayretta a little better, though.  Other than Longstreet, we've featured each of these places on our blog and liked them all, and I'm glad you enjoyed Southern Pit!  That's a special place for my wife and me - we stopped there for the first time on our way to the coast to get hitched in '09.

Heartbreaksoup---
                                              How do we get to your blog?????

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4710
                                                Re:Whistlin' Dixie Fri, 09/21/12 10:12 AM (permalink)
                                                WJ, did Ye Olde Colonial's $3.29 chicken special include everything on your plate or did you add some ala carte items?  That's a really good price.

And is Longstreet Cafe owned by a blind insurance investigator?

Heartbreaksoup

• Total Posts: 407
                                                  Re:Whistlin' Dixie Fri, 09/21/12 1:11 PM (permalink)
                                                  Foodbme:

My blog is called Marie, Let's Eat!, and you can find it at http://marieletseat.com/ .  A handy tag, http://marieletseat.com/tag/roadfood-com/ , will let you read about all the places we have visited that are reviewed on this site.  I think we're only about four shy of a full set of Georgia places.

Wanderingjew:

I'm not sure what it is, and I'm sure that another genre definition argument will engage nobody, but Village Burger doesn't fit for me.  It's not as egregious as some of the odd things that find pages here, like that millionaires' investment club in Darien GA, or that one outpost of the 100-odd store Lee's Chicken chain in Rock Hill SC.  It's just weird to see it here, when Atlanta does have some much more interesting, and superior, burger joints that have thrived for years and have such great reputation for being destination driving for diners.  Ann's Snack Bar, the Vortex, or Grindhouse Killer Burgers would all make much more sense to me to be represented here than Village.  They do what they do all right, but they don't do it any differently than at least three restaurants that I have to drive past to get there (Bobby's, Moxie, Lucky's), and they've got no identity other than "neighborhood hangout for Dunwoody soccer / lacrosse moms."

What's really weird is that one of the lone remaining Old Hickory House locations is within a stone's throw of Village Burger.  Now that's roadfood.  It isn't a patch on what it once was, and it's eclipsed by, honestly, dozens of area 'cue joints, but for history, color, stories - the "diablo sandwich and a Dr. Pepper" scene in Smokey & the Bandit was filmed in one of their since-closed stores - and nostalgia, Old Hickory House fits all my roadfood requirements.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                                                    Re:Whistlin' Dixie Sat, 09/22/12 10:22 AM (permalink)
                                                    ScreamingChicken

WJ, did Ye Olde Colonial's $3.29 chicken special include everything on your plate or did you add some ala carte items?  That's a really good price.

Unfortunately the prices are in fact alacarte. Still very reasonable though...

ScreamingChicken

And is Longstreet Cafe owned by a blind insurance investigator?

And a confused one too- I lost you on that  

kevincad

• Location: Snellville, GA
                                                      Re:Whistlin' Dixie Sat, 09/22/12 11:43 AM (permalink)
                                                      buffetbuster

TJ-
                                                      Feel free to blame the visits to Jim Stalvey's and Village Burger on me.  Who knows, left to his own devices and without me there, maybe he would have gone for pizza afterall!

Since we were staying north of the city, we also considered a stop at Owen Webb's Snack Shack in Jefferson, which is written up in 500 Things to Eat for their biscuits.  But WJ called them and they have apparently changed their name and made some other changes, too.  Hey WJ, what was that?  Was it something like they only offer biscuits at lunchtime or something like that?

Both were wise choices!! 

cavandre

• Total Posts: 1597
                                                        • Location: Melbourne, FL
                                                        Re:Whistlin' Dixie Sat, 09/22/12 12:02 PM (permalink)

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                                                          • Location: portland, OR
                                                          Re:Whistlin' Dixie Sat, 09/22/12 3:04 PM (permalink)
                                                          longstreet was a private detective series where james francicus played a blind private investigator. Of the era where Buddy Ebsen played Barnarby Jones, an elderly P.I.and william conrad played Cannon, a fat P.I.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                                                            Re:Whistlin' Dixie Mon, 09/24/12 7:05 AM (permalink)
                                                            Screaming Chicken

I thought  you were referring to my profession as a claims adjuster  and it was something I left out in my report that was clearly obvious.. I don't think Long Street was something that I was watching on TV when I was in the first grade.

On an aside, I'll continue the report this evening...

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123456 > | Showing page 4 of 6, messages 91 to 120 of 168

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com