White BBQ Sauce..............

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18853
Re:White BBQ Sauce.............. 2010/07/04 19:54:38 (permalink)
I beg your pardon?
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10348
Re:White BBQ Sauce.............. 2010/07/04 21:19:44 (permalink)
pimple2

BTW, CORNELL CHICKEN is NOT MAYO BASED!! I hate its taste, although I worship CORNELL College Of Agriculture [ I am from Yale, 8 years, undergrad  '82 & grad , so shall leave you with this piquant mystery!!] For fairness sake, it is 1 cup oil, 1 cup cider vinegar, 1 egg yolk, and poultry seasonings. NOT emuslified into mayo but plain. I live next door to CU, have been a part of it for decades, eaten & disliked its chicken, know/knew the people who invented it , the whys & wherefores it got invented etc. Regardless, the chicken dressing is NOT mayo based.

Taste is entirely subjective. I am reading absurd statements here, hopefully made as hyperbole and fun.

For example, I have lived in SPIEDIE land for decades, and rivalry runs hot between LUPO'S & STATE FAIR brands!! Not only have I never been able to develop a taste for the SPIEDIE marinade, Binghamton Style [though I love charbroiled meat], both brands taste like bad Italian dressing with poor quality oil, rancid garlic flakes and stale herbs to me. I would NEVER say this to lovers of those 2 brands for fear of hurting their feelings, just as I would never say that pulled pork is the vilest abomination one may commit to a beautifully raised and cooked pig and its musculature.

Muscle meat and layers of fat are meant to be savoured, in my book, tissue by tissue, from skin to bone, muscle group by muscle group. Each type fat has its own liquid crystal properties & membrane attributes & needs to be cooked to different temperatures and degrees of tenderness.

But that merely is my opinion, and not something I would dream of imposing on the world as an omnibus POV, one that should be accepted as as an axiom, a self-evident truth. That  HOWEVER,  MIGHT be interpreted as the tenor of some posts upthread. "If it ain't good enough for me, that MUST BE THE GOSPEL TRUTH FOR ALL." I find myself perturbed.

GET OVER YOURSELF!
And who said there was Mayo in the Cornell Recipe? NO ONE!
Being an "Academic" with 8 years at Yale you should understand the basics of research.  Read & Verify.
If you read all the comments from the beginning like you're supposed to, you'd realize we're talking about several different recipes here. The Southern version contains Mayo, the Cornell Version does not as stated in the recipe above.
Don't criticize until you have the facts correct. Even George W. Bush got out of Yale quicker than you!
Davwud
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 528
Re:White BBQ Sauce.............. 2010/07/14 12:20:29 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse

Michael Hoffman

Buddy, when I had it they'd put it on the pulled pork. I couldn't eat more than the first bite.

Michael, whoever served you white sauce on pulled pork had no idea what they had or how to use it.  My heart goes out to you for your suffering and I hope you never go through that ordeal again.

To those of you who are rejecting white Barbecue Sauce out of hand without ever trying it in its proper milieu, shame on you.  Last time I checked, this website was dedicated not just to the preservation of existing Roadfood icons, but also to the idea of exposing folks to new and different regional foods with which they might not otherwise be familiar.  White Barbecue Sauce is just that kind of regional specialty.

Now, if you've tried it and don't like it, then so be it.  Nobody has to like everything, and I'm certainly not the Taste Police.  But if you've never even tasted white sauce and are criticizing it based solely on its ingredient list, then your credibility around these parts is shot to heck my friends.

I've tasted White Barbecue Sauce.  When it's made and used properly, on the right meat (pretty much exclusively chicken) it's pretty darned good.  It adds moisture, and a rich, creamy tang to a piece of grilled or smoked bird.  In fact, it's not too dissimilar to the flavor imparted when you use buttermilk as a marinade for chicken.  I know a lot of champion pitmasters who swear by buttermilk as a marinade and there are just a handful of folks on these boards who are qualified to argue with them.

I work every year at the Barbecue Sauce Store at the American Royal Barbecue Cook-Off in Kansas City.  We get hundreds of sauces donated to us from all corners of the United States.  I encountered white sauce for the first time about five years ago.  Frankly, at first, I had a similar reaction to many of you.  I thought, "What in the heck is this stuff?  It's got to taste like salad dressing.  That ain't Barbecue."  The difference between me and you naysayers is that I was at least open minded enough to taste the stuff before I wrote it off.

Some versions were better than others.  One brand had a nasty rancid oil taste.  Another was just flat out bland.  The best of the bunch, as stated in my previous post in this thread, was Jack's BarBQue out of Nashville (earlier I said they were in Memphis-sorry, my goof). It has a nice tang with some horseradish overtones.  Jack's also makes a pretty good mustard based sauce.  Their red sauces I can take or leave.

But see, I know all that because I tried those sauces before I commented on them.  See how that works?  I don't always agree with Michael Hoffman about the appeal of certain foods (among other things).  But at least I know his distaste for, let's say Chicago style hot dogs for instance, comes from the experience of trying the item before he decides he doesn't like it.  I can respect that.  Someone who decides something is no good without even tasting it has no credibility as far as I'm concerned.

All I can say is, it's a good thing your mommas forced you to eat solid foods at a certain age, otherwise a lot of you would still be eating strained peas and mashed carrots out of them little bitty jars.

Buddy

Here here.

I will say that I like it on PP but not as much as regular BBQ sauce.

I didn't care that much for AWS at first but have come to really appreciate it.

I find it odd that people will dismiss it as salad dressing and still love Carolina style sauce. It's similar to the dressing for my FIL's potato salad.

Anyway, as was stated above, don't knock it 'til you try it.

DT
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1