White Castle

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
johnrm
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
2008/08/21 17:46:47 (permalink)

White Castle

I grew up in New Jersey eating lots of White Castle hamburgers. Alas, here in Texas we have none. A Krystal hamburger just opened up about 10 miles from here. They are good, but not quite White Castle. We have Whataburger here in Texas, they are great but I miss White Castles. Will they ever get down this way?

41 Replies Related Threads

startrooper00
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 110
    RE: White Castle 2008/08/21 21:31:20 (permalink)
    I asked the same thing a few months ago via the White Castle website about their expansion plans. Currently, they are focusing on the markets that they are in and not entering new markets.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6201
    RE: White Castle 2008/08/21 21:46:47 (permalink)
    is the rest of America ready for a white Castle...those strange little things we love may be hard to explain to the people used to "regular" burgers...and the taste is different from the usual "trash" burgers!!
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    RE: White Castle 2008/08/21 21:46:59 (permalink)
    I grew up patronizing a White Castle that served through bulletproof glass, in NJ. Well, I do not know for sure if it was bulletproof. I was fortunate enough never to witness proof positive.

If you wrap up the frozen kind, in damp paper towels, and pop them in the microwave, they taste the same.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: White Castle 2008/09/04 03:49:23 (permalink)
    Welcome to Roadfood...
    If you use the search button, you will find numerous links to threads here where white castle, and followers, such as Royal castle, and Krystal has been discussed in depth.
    dont be shy....
    Tara
    (I buy the frozen ones, since Krystal is few and far between here)
    ChefShan
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 65
    RE: White Castle 2008/09/05 20:25:39 (permalink)
    I have only ate at a White Castle once and that was way more than enough for me. How do you White Castle lovers stomach that stuff? My 4 year old didn't like it either. EWWWW
    ces1948
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: White Castle 2008/09/05 21:08:03 (permalink)
    I very occasionally eat Krystal burgers so I can't say I'm a big fan. Having said that I always thought White Castle was a clone (or maybe the other way around) of Krystal. I did get to try White Castle a few years ago in Nashville, Tn where I believe they have both. They were cooked fresh in front of us but we got them to go and ate them a couple of hours later. They were soggy and terrible but maybe that was our fault for not eating them right away. We have a Krystal about 5 miles away and go there maybe once a year.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3710
    RE: White Castle 2008/09/05 21:16:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ChefShan

I have only ate at a White Castle once and that was way more than enough for me. How do you White Castle lovers stomach that stuff? My 4 year old didn't like it either. EWWWW

Different strokes for different folks! I had my first White Castles last summer and fell in love with them. Had them again this summer and felt the same. I am just thankful that there are no White Castles near me or I would be there once a week.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18269
    RE: White Castle 2008/09/05 21:21:29 (permalink)
    quote:

Well, for one thing, they never put maple ham on them. That's an automatic good.
    ChefShan
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 65
    RE: White Castle 2008/09/05 22:06:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

Well, for one thing, they never put maple ham on them. That's an automatic good.

Hey!!! Don't knock it til' ya tried it!!! Ya never know!
    MGWerks
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 231
    RE: White Castle 2008/09/06 00:32:06 (permalink)
    The ideal meal: sliders from WC, and a malt from the Steak & Shake next door.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4593
    RE: White Castle 2008/09/06 07:13:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MGWerks

The ideal meal: sliders from WC, and a malt from the Steak & Shake next door.

The ideal meal: Sliders from WC, open faced, slathered with Skyline Chili from next door.

I've actually done that.

Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6326
    RE: White Castle 2008/09/06 18:01:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ces1948

...I always thought White Castle was a clone (or maybe the other way around) of Krystal.

White Castle began in 1921 in Wichita, KS and Krystal in 1932 in Chattanooga. That would make Krystal the clone.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: White Castle 2008/09/06 22:02:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Davydd

quote:

...I always thought White Castle was a clone (or maybe the other way around) of Krystal.

White Castle began in 1921 in Wichita, KS and Krystal in 1932 in Chattanooga. That would make Krystal the clone.

They both are good. I like Krystal's better.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: White Castle 2008/09/06 23:05:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by johnrm

I grew up in New Jersey eating lots of White Castle hamburgers. Alas, here in Texas we have none. A Krystal hamburger just opened up about 10 miles from here. They are good, but not quite White Castle. We have Whataburger here in Texas, they are great but I miss White Castles. Will they ever get down this way?

The 3 national chains I like are Waffle House, Steak 'n Shake, and White Castle. In the last couple of years, we've had WH and SS open here. I would love to see WC open here.

A Krystal opened in Killeen a couple of years ago. I went there not long after it opened. It was abysmal. I've always preferred White Castle over Krystal, but I think the main problem with this place is that's in Killeen. The worst service in the entire Central Texas area can be had in Killeen.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: White Castle 2008/09/07 06:30:36 (permalink)
    Since I know nothing of Krystal burgers here in Jersey,I looked them up on the web...my God,they're an out and out steal of a White Castle,right down to the onions...seems their menu is more diverse, with hotdogs....but their burgers are a clone of a Classic White Castle...how does the taste compare...or does it?
    Logan2
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 25
    RE: White Castle 2008/09/08 12:37:39 (permalink)
    Krystal burgers do look very similar to White Castles but their taste is greatly inferior IMO. While WC are generally very juicy, tasty and flavorful, Krystal burgers are rather blaaa and bland, as well as usually much drier, but that's only been my experience. But when there are no great White Castles around, Krystal burgers are a next "second best."
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: White Castle 2008/09/08 13:31:37 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info ,Logan2
    Jim2903
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 236
    RE: White Castle 2008/09/08 14:45:42 (permalink)
    Big mistake. White Castles need to be consumed immediately on site. I grew up eating White Castles, and they were always better in the restaurant than when we brought them home.

As a side note, I was in Nashville a couple years ago on business, and I stumbled upon a White Castle across the street from a Krystal. I thought I had reached the nexus of the universe ...
    quote:

I did get to try White Castle a few years ago in Nashville, Tn where I believe they have both. They were cooked fresh in front of us but we got them to go and ate them a couple of hours later. They were soggy and terrible but maybe that was our fault for not eating them right away.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: White Castle 2008/09/08 15:47:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jim2903

Big mistake. White Castles need to be consumed immediately on site. I grew up eating White Castles, and they were always better in the restaurant than when we brought them home.

As a side note, I was in Nashville a couple years ago on business, and I stumbled upon a White Castle across the street from a Krystal. I thought I had reached the nexus of the universe ...

[

As a matter of fact, two weeks ago I did eat my Castles in the White Castle instead of getting them to go. I was disappointed. All of the buns were soggy.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: White Castle 2008/09/08 20:15:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Logan2

Krystal burgers do look very similar to White Castles but their taste is greatly inferior IMO. While WC are generally very juicy, tasty and flavorful, Krystal burgers are rather blaaa and bland, as well as usually much drier, but that's only been my experience. But when there are no great White Castles around, Krystal burgers are a next "second best."

You can order them "from the grill". Specify you want made with extra onions or pickles, etc. Same with french fries. Specify you want same with "no salt". I have even ordered sucessfully "double meat" Krystals (no middle bread, etc.) You would be surprised. Very good and of course made to order.

CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    RE: White Castle 2008/09/08 23:21:01 (permalink)
    quote:

It is a rite of passage. A tradition, in these parts.
    cavandre
    • Total Posts : 1620
    RE: White Castle 2008/09/09 09:14:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CCinNJ

quote:

It is a rite of passage. A tradition, in these parts.

To fully appreciate a WC, it needs to be after midnight & you have to spend the previous hours imbibing in one or more bars. This is not proper behaviour for a 4 year old!
    brittneal
    • Total Posts : 1265
    RE: White Castle 2008/09/10 07:53:59 (permalink)
    Johnrm. The Whattabuger in houston saved us one year. In 80 I was on a sales trip and we had to stay in motels. No place was open on thanksgiving(not even Denny's!). no place but them. There was a multi ples theater next to eat and after lunch we spent the day going theater to theater seeing all 4 movies!(on one ticket)
    britt
    HollyDolly
    • Total Posts : 1069
    RE: White Castle 2008/09/10 09:25:00 (permalink)
    Johnrm,are you in San Antonio? They just opened one up in Live Oak by the Live Oak Regal Cinema,but haven't tried them yet.Only White Castle you can buy here is frozen. And yes,Krystal is a take off of White Castle.Don't know when Krystal was founded, but White Castle started i think in the 1920s or a little earlier.I presonally prefer meaty hamburgers myself.
    Over in the Gateway Plaza area off of Loop1604 and Lookout Road, there is some little I assume burger joint going in. There is no sign on the building, but I doubt it is a White Castle.
    fattybomatty
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: White Castle 2008/10/20 12:47:26 (permalink)
    Just had some white castle the other night. Fantastic as always. I always order more than I should though. Each time I think the burgers are smaller than they actually are. I ordered a #1 with two extra cheeseburgers. Didn't really need those two extra. 4 with fries and a coke was plenty. I just hate how the value meals go from 4 burgers to 2 double cheeseburgers than jumps to 10 burgers.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: White Castle 2008/10/20 13:34:51 (permalink)
    Only 4??????
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: White Castle 2008/10/20 13:37:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by leethebard

Only 4??????

At one time I used to eat 12-15 at a time. These days I buy six and generally eat four or five of them, tossing the remaning one or two in the refrigerator for a later snack.

When I drive the 50 miles to Crabill's in Urbana, Ohio I just order four and eat all four. I'll sometimes get the cheeseburgers at Crabill's, and I always get onions, mustard and relish. My drink there is always the same: Stewart's rootbeer.

Unfortunately, they have finally decided to make catsup available to the heathens.
    fattybomatty
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: White Castle 2008/10/20 13:44:30 (permalink)
    lee I know it's sad, but I can't put it away like I used to. 4 slyders, fries, and a coke is plenty for me. I thought about trying to double cheeseburgers, but didn't. Would two of those with the fries and coke be filling?
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5546
    RE: White Castle 2008/10/20 14:36:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
    Originally posted by leethebard

Only 4??????

At one time I used to eat 12-15 at a time. These days I buy six and generally eat four or five of them, tossing the remaning one or two in the refrigerator for a later snack.

When I drive the 50 miles to Crabill's in Urbana, Ohio I just order four and eat all four. I'll sometimes get the cheeseburgers at Crabill's, and I always get onions, mustard and relish. My drink there is always the same: Stewart's rootbeer.

Unfortunately, they have finally decided to make catsup available to the heathens.

ok, NOW I am confused. Not to open recent wounds, but your willingness to eat White Castle burgers flies in the face of comments you posted about Five Guys. You said, "It's my understandnig that they cook all their burgers to well-done, and will not deviate from that." Later you continued: "Five Guys says it will not cook burgers any way other than well done. I won't eat a well done burger. Why, then, should I bother trying one?" you also said, "As to my willingness to say negative things about a hamburger place that refuses to cook a hamburger the only way I'll eat it, you bet I'll be negative." And finally, "I prefer mine raw, but when cooked I like them warm in the middle and a bit more red than pink."

now, I'm pretty sure, that Slyders are hamburgers. I'm also pretty sure they are fully cooked. The patties even have holes in them to ensure they are cooked all the way through. And, I'm pretty sure you cannot order them any other way than the well done way they are made in the store.

So, clearly, if you do, infact, eat burgers that are well done (as is the case with White Castle), then the fact that Five Guys burgers are well done, cannot be the reason you refuse to try them.

I'm going out on a limb here. I could be wrong, but I think the reason you don't like Five Guys is because they were a regular part of the hamburger forum for a long time because they had a review on this site. Meanwhile, your favorite chain, Waffle House, was religated to the FFF as soon as the forum was created. You saw this as some sort of injustice and have not cared for Five Guys since. And neither their food, nor the fact they are chain is what bothers you, but what bothered you, was that you saw Five Guys treated differently than Waffle House, and so, you've decided you hate Five Guys.

Again, I'm really hanging out on a limb with that theory, and fully expect that if I'm wrong, you'll give me a tongue lashing for it (and maybe even get one if I'm right). But, since you do eat well done burgers, I really can't see why, since you've never been to a Five Guys, you would say negative things about Five Guys. You do eat burgers that are not cooked to order. You do eat burgers that are not red in the middle.

help me out, Michael. I want to know why. I'm not trying to be a d!@k.
    I do know, that you stated the nearest Five Guys is 150 miles, so, it's not like I think you should drive 150 miles to try them.

PS Love the heathens comment. very funny
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1