White Castle

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3141
Re:White Castle 2009/06/15 22:57:19 (permalink)
I remember White Tower burgers in the Bronx - they were just as good as White Castles.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18437
Re:White Castle 2009/06/17 20:28:44 (permalink)
NYPIzzaNut

I remember White Tower burgers in the Bronx - they were just as good as White Castles.

But White Tower's burgers were grilled just the same as any other burger. White Castles are steamed over onions, and they are much, much smaller than White Tower's were. But the ten cent plate of baked beans was pretty good with a White Tower hamburger.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:White Castle 2009/06/17 21:06:31 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

NYPIzzaNut

But White Tower's burgers were grilled just the same as any other burger. White Castles are steamed over onions, and they are much, much smaller than White Tower's were. But the ten cent plate of baked beans was pretty good with a White Tower hamburger.
I guess my memory is not as good as yours - I remember them tasting the same and being the same size - I sure do not recall 10 cent beans.  I am going back 48 or so years.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:White Castle 2009/06/17 21:37:27 (permalink)
NYPIzzaNut

Michael Hoffman

NYPIzzaNut

I guess my memory is not as good as yours - I remember them tasting the same and being the same size - I sure do not recall 10 cent beans.  I am going back 48 or so years.

I'm going back longer than that.

I used to spend a lot of time at the White Tower at the corner of Crown and College streets in New Haven, Connecticut. The White Tower was a block up Crown Street from Louis Lunch, and the manager was the father of one of my friends.

post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2009/06/17 21:40:08
Dog Boss
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 206
Re:White Castle 2009/08/06 21:35:39 (permalink)
" />WOW,  what get's me, is nobody from JERSEY has said anything about WHITE Castle. it's so jersey as jersey the hot dog is.

my mother and father met at WHITE Castle, ELMORA  AND RT 28/35 in elizabeth, nj. the CASTLE, is still there,, mother and father are not. god bless RIP.

sliders, murder burgers, come a again, i'll catch you again , just some of the past thoughts of the WC burger. drinking buddies back in the day, would play cash your change, 1st order was placed, change was put into the middle of table, counted then we had to spend it to the penny, for a second order. all shared the second bounty. nutzz  lol . we were two timing the morning blues." />
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10250
Re:White Castle 2009/08/06 22:57:52 (permalink)
Dog Boss

" />WOW,  what get's me, is nobody from JERSEY has said anything about WHITE Castle. it's so jersey as jersey the hot dog is.

my mother and father met at WHITE Castle, ELMORA  AND RT 28/35 in elizabeth, nj. the CASTLE, is still there,, mother and father are not. god bless RIP.

sliders, murder burgers, come a again, i'll catch you again , just some of the past thoughts of the WC burger. drinking buddies back in the day, would play cash your change, 1st order was placed, change was put into the middle of table, counted then we had to spend it to the penny, for a second order. all shared the second bounty. nutzz  lol . we were two timing the morning blues." />

Dog Boss,
As a Newbee on here, and incidentally, welcome to Roadfood.com, I suspect you have  not yet tried to use the SEARCH FEATURE on here. White Castle has been discussed at length and due homage has been given to New Jersey for it's role in the success and history of White Castle. I suggest you go to the search function under the "Hamburgers' forum and do a search for "White Castle" You'll get all the info you need.

HEY STEVE, ET AL--WE NEED A PRIMER FOR NEWBEES!!!!
Dog Boss
Cheeseburger
Re:White Castle 2009/08/08 17:16:41 (permalink)
Foodbme

Dog Boss

Dog Boss,
As a Newbee on here, and incidentally, welcome to Roadfood.com, I suspect you have  not yet tried to use the SEARCH FEATURE on here. White Castle has been discussed at length and due homage has been given to New Jersey for it's role in the success and history of White Castle. I suggest you go to the search function under the "Hamburgers' forum and do a search for "White Castle" You'll get all the info you need.

WELL  THANK YOU !!!!!!!!      
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4581
Re:White Castle 2009/08/08 18:19:00 (permalink)
californyguy
then flip burgers

I have never

ever

ever

seen the burgers flipped at white castle

did i say ever?  Yeah.  Never.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:White Castle 2009/08/09 10:25:56 (permalink)
TJ Jackson

californyguy
then flip burgers

I have never

ever

ever

seen the burgers flipped at white castle

did i say ever?  Yeah.  Never.

That's probably because they don't flip the burgers at White Castle.
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
Re:White Castle 2009/08/09 12:02:16 (permalink)
Foodbme

Dog Boss

Dog Boss,

Hmmm...someone posts into a months old, existing thread about White Castle rather than starting a new one and you are giving them a hard time for not using search function? Seems to me like there is an excellent chance they found this thread using the search function!!!

As to your understated suggestion...if anyone is perusing  the internets and doesn't know what a "search" feature is used for, I am fairly confident they won't bother reading (or understand) any newbie primer either. This site, with recent upgrades, has become pretty user friendly, and the search button is pretty clearly labeled.

Also, with the recent upgrade, if anyone attempts to start a new topic on a subject that has already been discussed, when they hit "send" they will be asked to review some prior discussions on the same topic. Despite this new addition, several people, not all newbies, have started new discussions on old topics...meaning you can try to teach an old horse new tricks, but you can't lead him to water...or put him behind a cart...or close the barn door after the beans are in the chili...or something like that.

post edited by Tony Bad - 2009/08/09 12:04:12
Dog Boss
Cheeseburger
Re:White Castle 2009/08/09 20:07:30 (permalink)
gee, and, i thought i was saving space on the server........................... i guess i'll just look HARDER next time  ........ happy eating  !!!
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4625
Re:White Castle 2009/08/09 20:31:31 (permalink)
Dog Boss

gee, and, i thought i was saving space on the server........................... i guess i'll just look HARDER next time  ........ happy eating  !!!

hey dog boss, hang around. I'd love to hear your stories.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:White Castle 2009/08/10 00:37:04 (permalink)
Tony Bad,
Despite all your assumptions about Newbee's (And Oldbee's) Computer Skills and the Enhanced Web Site, which is, by the way, greatly improved, the point remains ---MANY PEOPLE DON'T know how the Effectively Navigate around this web site. You assume too much since you're so closely involved in the project and obviously have excellent computer skills.

You made the Statement,"If anyone is perusing  the internets and doesn't know what a "search" feature is used for, I am fairly confident they won't bother reading (or understand) any newbie primer either."  You can't assume that! Newbee's don't know what they don't know about how this site is set up and how to EFFECTIVELY SEARCH the site. Many times, I don't know how to find what I'm looking for! I can't tell you how many times I've used trial & error methods and STILL not come up with what I'm looking for!

This web site is unique and many of us on here have struggled to stay current with all it's developments and understand how to use the site effectively. You may be too close to the trees and need to step back and look at the Forest.

Keep up the good work you and others do on the site BUT---------------------------

If for no other reason than for us to have a point of  reference to send Newbees to learn how to EFFECTIVELY use this site for their pleasure and enjoyment. (Like the rest of Us!)
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
Re:White Castle 2009/08/10 09:20:55 (permalink)
Foodbme

Tony Bad,
Despite all your assumptions about Newbee's (And Oldbee's) Computer Skills and the Enhanced Web Site, which is, by the way, greatly improved, the point remains ---MANY PEOPLE DON'T know how the Effectively Navigate around this web site. You assume too much since you're so closely involved in the project and obviously have excellent computer skills.

You made the Statement,"If anyone is perusing  the internets and doesn't know what a "search" feature is used for, I am fairly confident they won't bother reading (or understand) any newbie primer either."  You can't assume that! Newbee's don't know what they don't know about how this site is set up and how to EFFECTIVELY SEARCH the site. Many times, I don't know how to find what I'm looking for! I can't tell you how many times I've used trial & error methods and STILL not come up with what I'm looking for!

This web site is unique and many of us on here have struggled to stay current with all it's developments and understand how to use the site effectively. You may be too close to the trees and need to step back and look at the Forest.

Keep up the good work you and others do on the site BUT---------------------------

If for no other reason than for us to have a point of  reference to send Newbees to learn how to EFFECTIVELY use this site for their pleasure and enjoyment. (Like the rest of Us!)

Perhaps you are right, and I assume too much, but what I can tell you based on my experiences here and elsewhere in training and attempting to train people in computer and software use is that those that want to learn find the information and ask questions as needed. Those that just have a passing interest simply want to know how to get from A to B, and will ask for those same directions over and over. They don't really want to learn how to use the system or software, they just want to get where they want to be. I have dealt with people on this site who have written to me several times asking for the same instructions. I know they understood them because they accomplished what they wanted to, but rather than committing the lesson to memory, they got where they were going and emptied the info from their head. These people, who would benefit the most from an instruction manual, will never read one. I have been there. I know.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4625
Re:White Castle 2009/08/10 09:46:07 (permalink)
I'm amazed FBM feels comfortable calling Stephen Steve. :)
It took me a day just to figure out who he was addressing.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:White Castle 2009/08/10 13:11:21 (permalink)
Tony Bad

Foodbme

Tony Bad,

Perhaps you are right, and I assume too much, but what I can tell you based on my experiences here and elsewhere in training and attempting to train people in computer and software use is that those that want to learn find the information and ask questions as needed. Those that just have a passing interest simply want to know how to get from A to B, and will ask for those same directions over and over. They don't really want to learn how to use the system or software, they just want to get where they want to be. I have dealt with people on this site who have written to me several times asking for the same instructions. I know they understood them because they accomplished what they wanted to, but rather than committing the lesson to memory, they got where they were going and emptied the info from their head. These people, who would benefit the most from an instruction manual, will never read one. I have been there. I know.

Tony B,
Perhaps YOU are right, as a matter of fact, you are right. There are those people you describe, The Non-Absorber, Lazy, Don't Want-To Learn types. I've dealt with them all my life too.
But then there's the other group-- The Absorbers, Actively Interested, Want-To-Learn types. Those are the one's that would benefit from a "Newbee Primer". So why not create one for those people? Some of us Old F**t's could benefit also! Let's work on the premise that there are more people who want to learn than there are who don't want to learn.
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
Re:White Castle 2009/08/10 13:20:32 (permalink)
Foodbme
 So why not create one for those people? 

For what I believe to be the most part, "those people" seem to be doing a good job asking for assistance either on the forum or via private messages.
And speaking just for myself...I don't get paid for doing this and put in enough time already, so writing a how to guide that may or may not be used is not a challenge I am willing to take on. If this is something you'd like to do, I'd be happy to assist!

post edited by Tony Bad - 2009/08/10 13:23:43
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:White Castle 2009/08/10 14:04:57 (permalink)
californyguy
as a former white castle chef , I can tell you they do not put the buns on raw meat...first the onions , then the burgers,then flip burgers , then put bun on...thats the white castle way!!!

I intend no offense, just stating fact -- err -- I've never heard anyone working at white castle referring to themselves as a chef

post edited by TJ Jackson - 2009/08/10 14:07:03
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:White Castle 2009/08/10 14:09:18 (permalink)
TJ Jackson

californyguy
as a former white castle chef , I can tell you they do not put the buns on raw meat...first the onions , then the burgers,then flip burgers , then put bun on...thats the white castle way!!!

I intend no offense, just stating fact -- err -- I've never heard anyone working at white castle referring to themselves as a chef

He must be the only White Castle chef in the world. Now, the people working the grill at White Castles always put the buns on the meat as soon as all the patties are laid down. That's what steams them.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:White Castle 2009/08/10 23:33:21 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

TJ Jackson

californyguy

He must be the only White Castle chef in the world. Now, the people working the grill at White Castles always put the buns on the meat as soon as all the patties are laid down. That's what steams them.

If we had a White Castle within a 100 miles of here, I would go there, Force my way into the grill area and watch how they did it to end this controversy. I just wish we had one within 100 miles. Or even better yet--- A KRYSTALS!!!
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:White Castle 2009/08/10 23:46:33 (permalink)
I could probably observe and report how they do it and maybe even snap some photos next time I am inside White Castle.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:White Castle 2009/08/11 09:59:23 (permalink)
Nah, no need NYPN - I have watched them for almost 3 decades now and never has one been flipped
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:White Castle 2009/08/11 10:03:48 (permalink)
TJ Jackson

Nah, no need NYPN - I have watched them for almost 3 decades now and never has one been flipped

Just for kicks I stopped by a White Castle yesterday to make sure I wasn't dreaming. No flipping!
courtneyt77
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
Re:White Castle 2009/09/24 19:36:53 (permalink)
white castle is what you eat after a night of drinking.

otherwise no!

CheeseburgerChet
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 25
Re:White Castle 2009/09/26 17:16:08 (permalink)
White Castle Chef, OMG, Gorden Ramsey would be fuming if he saw that blog. Too funny.
boyardee65
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1460
Re:White Castle 2009/09/26 21:52:56 (permalink)
WHITE CASTLE CHEF ?????  Never heard a short order cook called that.

JMHO

David O.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:White Castle 2009/09/26 23:36:53 (permalink)
boyardee65

WHITE CASTLE CHEF ?????  Never heard a short order cook called that.

JMHO

David O.

To my  knowlrdge, There is ONLY ONE  Job  Descriptoin for a "White Castle Chel"--- ANYONE WHO HAS EVER COOKED A WHITE CASTLE BURGER IS A W-C CHEF!!!! No skill required!
post edited by Foodbme - 2009/10/05 23:58:48
AndreaB
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1303
Re:White Castle 2009/09/28 08:45:37 (permalink)
Gordon Ramsay doing a "Kitchen Nightmares" segment at White Castle?
It is what it is and the one around here is doing just fine.  Plus, he wouldn't be allowed to make menu changes and the only thing he'd be able to deal with would be slacking staff. 

I enjoy White Castle but I can hear him railing about the food!

Andrea
k9hckmac
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
Re:White Castle 2009/10/05 14:38:52 (permalink)
Never ate there, it's a chain.
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
Re:White Castle 2009/10/05 17:01:31 (permalink)
courtneyt77

white castle is what you eat after a night of drinking.

otherwise no!

How true, I eat there every night!
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1