White Castle-aholic

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 9 of 14
Author
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: White Castle-aholic 2005/01/20 16:18:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by dendan

Went to the While Castle in Montclair, NJ for the BIG pre-Junior prom dinner. Hey, we were poor and cheap in 1966. But, we sure looked good and were the best dressed folks there. Wonder if it is. I think it was on Bloomfield Ave.

dan of dendan

My sister's date took her to the Newport, KY Whitey's for a pre-prom meal one year. She just laughed and went along with it. The joke was that he had made reservations at the "Aluminum Room".
dendan
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 479
RE: White Castle-aholic 2005/01/20 16:23:02 (permalink)
Too funny? Had to have a good sense of humor to go there!!
quote:
Originally posted by Wallyum

quote:

Went to the While Castle in Montclair, NJ for the BIG pre-Junior prom dinner. Hey, we were poor and cheap in 1966. But, we sure looked good and were the best dressed folks there. Wonder if it is. I think it was on Bloomfield Ave.

dan of dendan

My sister's date took her to the Newport, KY Whitey's for a pre-prom meal one year. She just laughed and went along with it. The joke was that he had made reservations at the "Aluminum Room".
whitecastleburgers2323
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: White Castle-aholic 2005/01/22 19:28:07 (permalink)
if any1 can tell me where the nearest whitecastle burger place is near pittsburgh pennsylvania it will be greatly appreciated
QFan
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 642
RE: White Castle-aholic 2005/01/23 09:20:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by whitecastleburgers2323

if any1 can tell me where the nearest whitecastle burger place is near pittsburgh pennsylvania it will be greatly appreciated

Cleveland area, northern New Jersey or Nashville, TN. They used to have them in Philly, but I think they are all closed now. Their web site has a locator w/ maps. www.whitecastle.com. Good luck; I too am a WC fanatic and will drive many miles out of the way to get to one.
QFan
Bonita Springs, FL
Jim Ross
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 314
RE: White Castle-aholic 2005/01/23 13:02:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by whitecastleburgers2323

Use the source Luke, use the source

http://www.whitecastle.com/
crickett
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: White Castle-aholic 2005/01/24 12:00:53 (permalink)
quote:

dan of dendan

I used to go to this White Castle as a kid with my folks and sister in the early 60's. Back then, there were poles next to the parking spaces with intercoms for you to place your order. The waitresses would then bring out the food and clip it onto your car window. (I always got hamburgers with no ketchup, french fries and an orange soda) What a wonderful memory. It was actually in Verona, NJ at the intersection of Bloomfield Avenue and Rt. 23 (Pompton Avenue). Sadly, it was torn down about 10 or 15 years ago and a very wonderful part of my childhood was gone. It now a Lexus dealership.

crickett : )
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: White Castle-aholic 2005/01/24 23:28:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by crickett

quote:

dan of dendan

I used to go to this White Castle as a kid with my folks and sister in the early 60's. Back then, there were poles next to the parking spaces with intercoms for you to place your order. The waitresses would then bring out the food and clip it onto your car window. (I always got hamburgers with no ketchup, french fries and an orange soda) What a wonderful memory. It was actually in Verona, NJ at the intersection of Bloomfield Avenue and Rt. 23 (Pompton Avenue). Sadly, it was torn down about 10 or 15 years ago and a very wonderful part of my childhood was gone. It now a Lexus dealership.

Now that you mention it, until I started drinking iced tea, orange drink was my beverage of choice at White Castle. There was one in Covington that had the curb service, but it closed YEARS ago. Oddly enough, I think the majority of the site is still empty and it may even have the poles and canopy for the parking spaces.
crickett
Junior Burger
RE: White Castle-aholic 2005/01/25 12:40:20 (permalink)
I remember it as a barely carbonated orange drink, but I loved it as a kid. Now I need the caffeine fix and always get a coke. The one in Verona had the poles up until it was torn down which was long after they stopped the curb service.
I live in Canada now so I can't even get frozen ones (insert sigh of depression here), but they're actually building a brand new Whiey's just a few miles from where my mom lives in NJ... I be frequenting that whenever I go to see her.

marcbla
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 139
RE: White Castle-aholic 2005/01/27 23:29:28 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by carlton pierre

Anybody been thru the dual-drive-thru WC's. Just like a bank drive up window, food and $$ is exchanged via conveyor system. Pretty awesome for a chain that was one of the last to install drive thru windows.

carl reitz

This is known as the "Vittle-Veyor". Some friends once drove all the way to Norwood after a late night softball game just to see one operate. They must have passed a half dozen other WC's on the way.
marcbla
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 139
RE: White Castle-aholic 2005/01/27 23:30:35 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by carlton pierre

Anybody been thru the dual-drive-thru WC's. Just like a bank drive up window, food and $$ is exchanged via conveyor system. Pretty awesome for a chain that was one of the last to install drive thru windows.

carl reitz

This is known as the "Vittle-Veyor". Some friends once drove all the way to Norwood after a late night softball game just to see one operate. They must have passed a half dozen other WC's on the way.
we have one at a long john silvers here in hazleton pa the window is up one level so they have an elevator you use to pay and get your food pretty neat!
Duff
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: White Castle-aholic 2005/02/04 10:00:24 (permalink)
Dude, I live in a tourist trap outside of Knoxville, TN. Yesterday, after school, we decided to take a road trip to the nearest White Castle, which just so happened to be 180 miles away, in freakin' Murfreesboro outside of Nashville. It was 20 minutes until they closed when we got there.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18381
RE: White Castle-aholic 2005/02/04 11:04:20 (permalink)
Dude, I'd really like to respond to your post about White Castle, but I prefer not to use such language here.
wilewil
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 99
RE: White Castle-aholic 2005/02/04 15:29:53 (permalink)

Where in Kville is a White Castle? Krystal is the King there.
Rearden
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 26
RE: White Castle-aholic 2005/02/04 16:07:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Duff

Dude, I live in a tourist trap outside of Knoxville, TN. Yesterday, after school, we decided to take a road trip to the nearest White Castle, which just so happened to be 180 miles away, in freakin' Murfreesboro outside of Nashville. It was 20 minutes until they closed when we got there.

That's funny. That you found this obscure site for posting fast food tales, but didn't check the White Castle website to see where the nearest one is?)

Also, what's with the cursing where it's totally unnecessary? I could see you using the same word because you traveled 180 miles for no reason, but why to describe the food?
QFan
Double Cheeseburger
RE: White Castle-aholic 2005/02/04 18:23:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wilewil

Where in Kville is a White Castle? Krystal is the King there.

I expect there are quite a few of us WC junkies out there who want to know the same thing. First I've heard of Knoxville as a Castle outpost.
QFan
Bonita Springs, FL
gschwim
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 113
RE: White Castle-aholic 2005/02/05 00:30:29 (permalink)
The best way to make supermarket White Castles at home is to steam them -- not in the oven, but in an actual steamer, such as is used to steam vegetables, on the stovetop. I suppose the folding steamer-basket arrangement works, but I use a purpose made pot that has a colander-type insert and a lid. Also, I stand the burgers on their side, leaning against the sides of the colander because the buns tend to stick to the colander bottom and the less of the bun that touches the bottom, the less will stick to it when you try to remove the cooked burger (which you should do with tongs, by the way -- those little suckers get hot!).
carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: White Castle-aholic 2005/02/05 03:15:16 (permalink)
Calm down, all you Knoxvillians thinking you've missed a WC somewhere in the area. Don't let the little expletive above get ya all riled up. Unfortunately, there is no WC in East Tennessee, including Knoxville.
carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: White Castle-aholic 2005/02/06 15:51:54 (permalink)
I think you should have just deleted the entire post!
Jayla
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 53
RE: White Castle-aholic 2005/03/07 01:40:22 (permalink)
THIS IS ABOUT THE REGULAR SIZE CHICKEN RINGS AT WHITE CASTLE (WICH BRINGS 6 CHICKEN RINGS) I EAT THERE ALOT (THE 1 IN NORTH BERGEN, NJ ) SO I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO KNOW IF THEY REALLY HAVE 210 CALORIES LIKE THE WHITE CASTLE WEB SITE SAYS OR DO THEY REALLY HAVE 310 CALORIES LIKE SOME OTHER WEBSITES CLAIM ??? PLEASE E-MAIL ME AT OXJUZL0VEMEOX@AOL.COM TO LET ME KNOW THANKS
spaetzelboy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 25
RE: White Castle-aholic 2005/03/11 20:28:50 (permalink)
I am lucky enough to have three White Castles within half an hour of my home.
Eatontown, Tom's River and Freehold, NJ. These stores are like a magnet for me. As I mentioned on another board, I've been keeping a stash of Beano in the car. Beano is a very effective antidote to the affects of the Bellies (Belly Bombers).

"Three Ham, two cheese, medium orange."

Occasionally I will alter my standard order and get a chocolate shake at the risk of breaking a blood vessel in my eye.

They have, by far, the best onion rings on the planet, but they ruin me.

Interesting aside:

There was a WC in my neighborhood when I was growing up. Rockaway blvd just East of Cross Bay Boulevard in Queens, NY. It was, I'm told, one of the first ones built. Their business was greatly supplemented by the presence of a bus stop right out the front door which brought people from the adjacent working class neighborhoods to the nearby A Train. Around fifteen years ago, they lost the lease on the property and it was torn down. It reopened about a year later a few blocks East at 98th street . . . at which time they moved the bus stop.
howard8
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 355
RE: White Castle-aholic 2005/03/12 17:02:41 (permalink)
Happy days are here again.
A new castle just opened only twenty
minutes from my house in the Ledgewood
area of NJ. Its been a week and I have
had to pass it up twice due to huge lines
and long waits. Literally cars are shutting
off their engines due to the length of the line.
Just Friday as I was passing by at 11:00 a.m. the
line was short. Only a twenty minute wait and I
had my ten, no ketchup. I have two left waiting
for some cheese. Never had the onion rings, but
next time I will.
crickett
Junior Burger
RE: White Castle-aholic 2005/03/12 17:22:55 (permalink)
Great news Howard... my mom lives about 10 minutes from that new WC in Denville. Unfortunately, I now live in Canada and will only get to go there a few times a year when I visit. I was down there a few weeks ago and was hoping it was open, but it wasn't yet. I'll be down there at again at Easter... I am going to have to brave the lines regardless of how long. Is it open 24 hours? I can always wake up about 3AM or 4AM and make a run... hmmmmmmmmm... I think I might just do that. Where do you live?

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: White Castle-aholic 2005/03/12 18:28:12 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by spaetzelboy

Just curious. What does "Three Ham, two cheese, medium orange" mean?

White Castle doesn;t have ham, they don't have cheese , and they don't have orange -- at least not in any White Castle I've ever seen, and I live where White Castle's headquarters is located.
spaetzelboy
Junior Burger
RE: White Castle-aholic 2005/03/13 01:48:13 (permalink)
Hey mike,

Sort of my slangish for "Three White Castles (3 HAMburgers), Three White Castles with cheese and a medium orange drink."

I always ask for it that way, and the counter folk seem to know what I'm talking about.

BTW, where is WC's HQ?
QFan
Double Cheeseburger
RE: White Castle-aholic 2005/03/13 11:26:04 (permalink)
quote:

I am lucky enough to have three White Castles within half an hour of my home.
Eatontown, Tom's River and Freehold, NJ. These stores are like a magnet for me. As I mentioned on another board, I've been keeping a stash of Beano in the car. Beano is a very effective antidote to the affects of the Bellies (Belly Bombers).

Occasionally I will alter my standard order and get a chocolate shake at the risk of breaking a blood vessel in my eye.

They have, by far, the best onion rings on the planet, but they ruin me.

Interesting aside:

There was a WC in my neighborhood when I was growing up. Rockaway blvd just East of Cross Bay Boulevard in Queens, NY. It was, I'm told, one of the first ones built. Their business was greatly supplemented by the presence of a bus stop right out the front door which brought people from the adjacent working class neighborhoods to the nearby A Train. Around fifteen years ago, they lost the lease on the property and it was torn down. It reopened about a year later a few blocks East at 98th street . . . at which time they moved the bus stop.

Re your Tom's River reference, I was at a family reunion last summer in Cape May, NJ. I drove 90 miles up the GS Pkwy to get a WC fix at the one in Tom's River. Tried to interest some of the other extended family mbrs in accompanying me. None of them seemed to get it (my WC mania) so I ended up driving it by myself. Never mind, they were as good as all of my fantasies ahead of time!

QFan
Bonita Springs, FL
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: White Castle-aholic 2005/03/13 11:30:55 (permalink)
quote:

Hey mike,

Sort of my slangish for "Three White Castles (3 HAMburgers), Three White Castles with cheese and a medium orange drink."

I always ask for it that way, and the counter folk seem to know what I'm talking about.

BTW, where is WC's HQ?

That's interesting. The usual way to order in any White Castle I've been to would be three Castles and three cheese Castles. I've never seen an orange drink at a White Castle. White Castle's home is Columbus, Ohio.
festivalfood
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 168
RE: White Castle-aholic 2005/03/13 12:30:03 (permalink)
Having grown up in NJ, and also being a WC fanatic,frequenting the one in Rahway and Edison the most.I truly miss them living here in NE Pennsylvania.I buy them at the supermarket,but it still is not the same.I got the chance to pick up a couple of sacks of cheeseburgers and fries at the one on RT 17 in Rutherford NJ (I think it is Rutherford)last week and it was the first time I had fresh made WC'S in over a year,what a treat.I definately miss them,wish they would open up one around here.
Tumbleweed365
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: White Castle-aholic 2005/03/13 13:03:22 (permalink)
Back in my days of pregnancy, I didn't crave the usual pickles and ice cream, it was White Castles. All I had to do was roll over in bed at night, nudge my husband, and he would head for the car to pick me up a sack full. Even today, when those kids have given me grand children, I still love them,,, the white castles, that is.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: White Castle-aholic 2005/03/13 13:14:39 (permalink)
I know what you mean. I prefer White Castles to my grandkids, too.
spaetzelboy
Junior Burger
RE: White Castle-aholic 2005/03/14 02:00:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by festivalfood

Having grown up in NJ, and also being a WC fanatic,frequenting the one in Rahway and Edison the most.I truly miss them living here in NE Pennsylvania.I buy them at the supermarket,but it still is not the same.I got the chance to pick up a couple of sacks of cheeseburgers and fries at the one on RT 17 in Rutherford NJ (I think it is Rutherford)last week and it was the first time I had fresh made WC'S in over a year,what a treat.I definately miss them,wish they would open up one around here.

I think you're right - it would be Rutherford. I know it well! Used to work over in that area. It's also right next to the light on 17, so you can jump right on to the North or Southbound side from the parking lot. So convenient!

Hey Qfan - I commend you for the trip! A lesser person would succumb to the shame of those who do not understand "the crave".
Ninety miles - now that's dedication! I can see you just chuckling with glee when you finally got to TR and pulled into the parking lot.
Plus you have to make that wacky U-turn on 137 and then cut across two lanes of traffic to make the left. Somewhat scary, but it's worth the trip.
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 9 of 14
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1