White Fence Farm outside of Chicago

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
nativeofplainfield
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2004/07/01 13:20:47 (permalink)
FYI...White Fence Farm has a web site

http://www.whitefencefarm.com/

quote:
Originally posted by Pwingsx

There's a White Fence Farm here in Denver, too. I haven't been there but one of my sisters has. I had no idea there were a chain! Does anyone know of them anywhere else?
nativeofplainfield
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2004/07/01 13:23:13 (permalink)
For those of you concerned about White Fence Farm prices...they are having a great 50th aniversary deal on chicken.

Check it out...
http://www.whitefencefarm.com/chicago/50th_anniv_special.htm
jslad
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2004/07/19 16:06:06 (permalink)
Harold's in Chicago is good if you know which one to to. They're not all the same. I moved from the south side years ago, but the one on 71st and Merrill and the on at c.71st & State (on the east side of the Ryan) are good. I've been to both in the last year. For the price, it's good.
BTB
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 207
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2004/07/25 13:21:18 (permalink)
Thought I would put my two cents into the fray regarding good fried chicken in the Chicago metropolitan area. White Fence Farm is fair for chicken, but Dell Rhea's is much better. Harold's Chicken Shack chain serves generally dry and barely passable fried chicken. Surma's in Homewood used to be very good (before they closed down). I have not tried Rip's or Priscilla's. The Lantern Restaurant in downtown Lake Forest serves excellent fried chicken. The Village Tavern in Long Grove serves fried chicken that I think is even a little better and on Monday and Wednesday evenings is even served all you can eat. But the best fried chicken in the Chicago metropolitan area IMHO is down in Schererville, Indiana at the southeast corner of Route 30 and 41. I have been going to Teibel's Restaurant there since I was a kid (30 years ago) and it remains my favorite for fried chicken (which is always served all you can eat -- family style) and their lake perch. I was recently told to go south on U.S. 41 a few miles from Tiebel's and try the fried chicken at a restaurant called "Dick's," which a friend of mine raved about. Will let all know of my findings if I get by that way.
Bloozman
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2006/02/17 23:54:42 (permalink)
See my post titled..."The Best Chicken in Chicago"
danimal15
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1092
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2007/05/08 14:41:59 (permalink)
Anyone been to Rip's Chicken in Ladd, Ill. lately? We might have a chance to get out there soon, and I wanted to make sure it was still around.

Thanks.
Ram4
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2007/05/25 12:52:03 (permalink)
I have to tell you, I was not impressed by White Fence Farm when I had it. The chicken was on the bland side, and worst of all, they won't let you pick the pieces you want. I prefer only white meat, and they said I could't do it. I said, "If I give you $100, can I have only white meat?" "No." They make the rules, I understand that, but I was shocked by their refusal since it's never ever happened to me before or since at any other fried chicken restaurant. No big deal, because it wasn't that good anyway. If I loved it, then I'd have to order a lot more chicken (or take my nephew who is a dark meat only guy). Then we can trade. Del Rhea's was also not that great. A big letdown. But I do want to give them another chance soon.

I found a place that does have a unique Fried Chicken recipe in the last place you'd look - Glencoe, IL. It's called[url='http://www.jimmysredhen.com/']Little Red Hen[/url] and I love their chicken, especially the extra crispy breading. They also make awesome steak fries. It's on the greasy side too. At this point, probably my favorite Chicago area fried chicken place. But they don't do the typical sides. No biscuits or mashed potatoes and gravy. The rest of the menu is like a typical Chicago pizza/burgers/hot dogs place.
Ram4
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2007/05/25 14:11:22 (permalink)
I totally forgot another gem in Chicago. This is the last place you'd think of for Fried Chicken. [url='http://www.icon.com/joes/Chicago_home.html'] Joe's Seafood Prime Steak and Stone Crab [/url] is on the corner of Rush and Grand. You will have to pay at least $10-12 to park. Quit whining - be a man, suck it up, and leave it with the valet. Joe's is one of my favorite restaurants for prime steak, but what a shocking find the Fried Chicken was on the menu. I think it's $15, one of the cheapest things on the menu. It comes with nothing on the side of course, you're in a high end place remember? You get a nice plate of chicken, white and dark meat, and the breasts are even cut a unique way. They make the fried chicken to order, so plan on a solid 30 minute wait, and once it's done, it's burning hot. The chicken is moist, juicy, and really crispy on the outside. The breading is sometimes on the bland side, so I like to add pepper. You'll see big time lawyers or investment bankers sitting alone at the bar eating a huge plate of the fried chicken. I guess it is "Fried Chicken for Rich People!" Anyway, I highly recommend it. The rest of the food is amazing as well. I'm not a seafood lover, but many people go there just for the seafood. The steaks are prime and are great. The sides are awesome, with many kinds of potato dishes (I love the cottage fries). The dessert menu is primarily made up of giant slices of pie. Check out the site and menu. They are in Caesar's Palace now too.
ChiFoodMike
Junior Burger
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2007/08/23 23:38:26 (permalink)
Uncle Remus Chicken in Broadview @ Roosevelt and 15th and 4144 W Madison in Chicago is good for the $$. Make sure to get the mild sauce. It is pretty darn tasty.
Jim2903
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 237
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2007/09/18 11:35:40 (permalink)
Visited WFF about two weeks ago after a long absence -- first trip with my 3-year-old daughter, to relive visits when I was a kid. Food was still great like I remembered.

I've always wanted to try Dell Rhea's but haven't gotten around to it ...
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2941
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2007/09/18 11:41:34 (permalink)
Dell Rhea's does some nice antique car shows as well.
danimal15
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2007/11/02 17:07:38 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ram4

I have to tell you, I was not impressed by White Fence Farm when I had it. The chicken was on the bland side, and worst of all, they won't let you pick the pieces you want. I prefer only white meat, and they said I could't do it. I said, "If I give you $100, can I have only white meat?" "No." They make the rules, I understand that, but I was shocked by their refusal since it's never ever happened to me before or since at any other fried chicken restaurant. No big deal, because it wasn't that good anyway. If I loved it, then I'd have to order a lot more chicken (or take my nephew who is a dark meat only guy). Then we can trade. Del Rhea's was also not that great. A big letdown. But I do want to give them another chance soon.

I found a place that does have a unique Fried Chicken recipe in the last place you'd look - Glencoe, IL. It's called[url='http://www.jimmysredhen.com/']Little Red Hen[/url] and I love their chicken, especially the extra crispy breading. They also make awesome steak fries. It's on the greasy side too. At this point, probably my favorite Chicago area fried chicken place. But they don't do the typical sides. No biscuits or mashed potatoes and gravy. The rest of the menu is like a typical Chicago pizza/burgers/hot dogs place.

Little Red Hen? I live in Highland Park and haven't heard of it. Maybe I'll check it out this weekend. Thanks.
FuwaFuwaUsagi
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 25
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2007/11/03 02:52:24 (permalink)
Best fried chicken in the outer rim of the burbs is found in Sublette IL at the Gas Station. That gas station does a huge business on Broaster Chicken. Absolutely stunning. Now I grew up on White Fence Farm when they had one in Aurora, I loved Harold's when they were great maybe 10 years ago, but nothing compares to the Broaster chicken at that Gas Station (understand Sublette is so small there is only one Gas Station). Ah, moist, flavorful chicken, with crispy chicken skin that is well seasoned...yum.

brittneal
  • Total Posts : 1265
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2007/11/04 03:55:59 (permalink)
Boy this makes me feel old. I remember going to the one in Chicago back in the early 60's. Rmemeber this is before you found chicken everywhere you looked. Tho Col. had yet to explode on the scene. I loved fried chicken and my Mom never made it. We went to the White fence farm a couple times a year. I remember the HUGE bicycles on the walls inside. I remember the shrimp cocktail. Recall the 60's shrimp cocktails? A fluted glass filled with shredded lettuce and broken shrimp pieces mixed in sauce(I loved those things). In the summer we would be seated outside by the merry go rounds and stuff. I was to young to make a review then so all I have is some cherished childhood memories. By the time the one in Denver opened I was in the Biz. I was the chef at Baby Doe's at Mile Hi stadium. I remember taking some friends there and telling them how fabulous it was. All I can say ia reality never lives up to childhood memories. Without cocktails we spent around 50 bux 4 the four of us(this was in '85 dollars when KFC did their more cluck for a buck-2pcs. with mash and a roll for .99). The food was good, but not outstanding. I never returned.
danimal15
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2008/07/16 10:17:07 (permalink)
I still haven't been to Rip's or Del Rhea's (I mean to, someday), but for the moment, I have to give a high recommendation to The Lantern in Lake Forest, where we celebrated my younger son's 5th birthday the other night. I ordered the four-piece "broasted" chicken dinner, and although it wasn't deep fried, it tasted just as good. I was very happy with the chicken - the crust was crunchy and light, and the pieces were nice and meaty with no grease. As I ate, I said to my wife, "There is absolutely no reason to drive 50 miles to White Fence Farm when this chicken is almost as good." In fact, the chicken at The Lantern may be a bit better than White Fence Farm. That was my wife's conclusion (she had the two-piece).
Tommy2dogs
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 348
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2008/07/18 22:41:12 (permalink)
Broasted is actually deep fried under pressure
danimal15
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2008/07/22 13:10:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy2dogs

Broasted is actually deep fried under pressure

Indeed. I still consider it fried. It just sounds healthier!
RSMBob
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 21
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2008/08/20 02:40:05 (permalink)
I talked to my parents tonight who live in IL and they just went to WFF over the weekend...just a unique place with good food...a family restaurant for all ages for sure. We got to be talking about a place in Downers Grove that sadly closed 20+ years ago...it was better than WFF. Anyone remember "The Last Word" on Ogden Avenue (US Rte 34)? In addition to the incredible fried chicken, they served cinnamon pinwheel rolls with the dinner that were great. They expanded and made half teh restaurant into a buffet-place and it was never the same after that.

One other note about The Last Word...my little sis didn't like fried chicken so she always got a cheeseburger, and it was made more special with a tiny American flag stuck into it!

Amazing what things stick in your memory sometimes.
KingCrab
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 122
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2008/08/27 11:29:59 (permalink)
White Fence Farm never really impressed me for fried chicken. I agree with some other posters above, Del Rheas in Willowbrook is better, and Ripps Taven out in Ladd, IL. is much better. I live out in LaSalle County, and their are probably a dozen places that are better than White Fence Farm. I often refer to LaSalle County as the fried chicken capital of Illinois.

Some of the better places are:

Cherry Supper Club - Cherry, IL.
Hank's Farm - Ottawa, IL
Caretto's - Ottawa, IL.
Johhnny's Corner Tap(they also serve deep fried turtle) - Marseilles, IL.
mary jean
Junior Burger
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2008/09/03 15:13:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by danimal15

Anyone been to Rip's Chicken in Ladd, Ill. lately? We might have a chance to get out there soon, and I wanted to make sure it was still around.

Thanks.
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2009/01/05 23:34:58 (permalink)
Here's a restaurant that you Chicagolanders ( is that a word? ) should check out for really excellent fried chicken. It's called Popolano's, and it's right here in my backyard - on Torrence Ave. here in Lansing, about a mile south of I-80 / I-94 ( aka the Kingery Expressway. ) The chicken here is great; crispy and meaty with a delicious flavor. IMHO, it's better than either White Fence Farm or Dell Rhea's. The sides are about average, but the creamy chicken and dumpling soup is really good.  A word of advice: stick to the chicken and you'll have a fine meal, but DON'T order the spaghetti and meatballs. You wouldn't think a restaurant could screw up a dish that simple, but Popolano's did - never again! Just go for the chicken, and I'm sure you'll come away quite happy.             Bob
danimal15
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2010/10/21 13:45:54 (permalink)
Thanks to everyone on this 7-year old thread who suggested Rips in Ladd, Illinois. After all this time, I finally took my family there this weekend and it was worth the trip (and the 1.5 hour wait on a Saturday night for our meal).

Not only was the chicken wonderful, as advertised, the atmosphere was terrific. Lots of nice people to talk to while waiting, and a wonderful dining room with a good view of the tiny kitchen where they make that unforgettable chicken. I had a quarter light and a quarter dark because I wanted to try both types. I think I enjoyed the dark more than the white, but both were very juicy and flavorful. We will definitely be back. Why this place isn't listed on Roadfood's "official" Illinois restaurants is something I can't understand. It is the epitome of "roadfood." Someone needs to give it a write-up in the Illinois restaurants file.
danimal15
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2010/10/21 13:47:06 (permalink)
Oh - and by the way, the total bill for our dinner (not counting the beers my wife and I had while waiting - was $26. This was for six fried chicken dinners. (4 quarter whites, 2 quarter darks). An incredible bargain!
danimal15
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2010/10/21 13:50:45 (permalink)
Ram4

I totally forgot another gem in Chicago. This is the last place you'd think of for Fried Chicken. [url='http://www.icon.com/joes/Chicago_home.html'] Joe's Seafood Prime Steak and Stone Crab [/url] is on the corner of Rush and Grand. You will have to pay at least $10-12 to park. Quit whining - be a man, suck it up, and leave it with the valet. Joe's is one of my favorite restaurants for prime steak, but what a shocking find the Fried Chicken was on the menu. I think it's $15, one of the cheapest things on the menu. It comes with nothing on the side of course, you're in a high end place remember? You get a nice plate of chicken, white and dark meat, and the breasts are even cut a unique way. They make the fried chicken to order, so plan on a solid 30 minute wait, and once it's done, it's burning hot. The chicken is moist, juicy, and really crispy on the outside. The breading is sometimes on the bland side, so I like to add pepper. You'll see big time lawyers or investment bankers sitting alone at the bar eating a huge plate of the fried chicken. I guess it is "Fried Chicken for Rich People!" Anyway, I highly recommend it. The rest of the food is amazing as well. I'm not a seafood lover, but many people go there just for the seafood. The steaks are prime and are great. The sides are awesome, with many kinds of potato dishes (I love the cottage fries). The dessert menu is primarily made up of giant slices of pie. Check out the site and menu. They are in Caesar's Palace now too.

Wow - I have to try that! Sounds great.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1