Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

White House Subs - Atlantic City, NJ

Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 69 of 69
CheeseWit

• Total Posts: 1393
  • Roadfood Insider
Re:White House Subs - Atlantic City, NJ Thu, 03/19/09 4:20 PM (permalink)
Baah Ben

Cheese..Sorry you can't make what isn't an actual meat up just yet.  Hey, thanks again for all of your help.

MD - I do remember WJ's report now.  It was terrific.  I guess I'm going to one of the more commercial versions; Tony' Luke's.  Hey, I look at it this way.  I have never had an actual Philly cheesesteak so how bad could any of them be.  I'm jsu tthrilled I am finally going to try one.  Tony Luke's also offers chicken parm and since my wife does not eat red meat, it's better for us.  CheeseWit said it's a good choice.  Plus they have parking and it's close to I-95 as we come into the city.

B B: don't forget what I told you about Chicken Cheesesteaks - available at most steak shops. Excellent alternative for the non red meat eating people.
And, I was WJ's tour guide and source of his other stops documented in his cheesesteak tour.
I'm very close to launching my little side business - cheesesteak tours. Building the website now (TourCheesesteaks.com) and have a couple of spring tours already booked by out of town parties.

ellen4641

• Total Posts: 3531
    Re:White House Subs - Atlantic City, NJ Thu, 03/19/09 11:43 PM (permalink)
    I decided to give the White House Cheesesteak yet another chance after dealing poker today....   here's a pic of my half cheesesteak...$7.50

The best part is the way the onions and peppers blend, and the way the sub roll is very juicy inside, almost like it was buttered...

So I see what you mean, Bruce and Sue, as far as the "sum of the parts" tasting real good...
    it DOES blend together real nicely... and it IS very juicy..

However  ,  I prefer my cheesesteak meat chopped up much finer...
    just my own personal tastes...
    I find it helps make it taste more tender....  the meat had a slightly tough taste to me, compare to other cheesesteaks I have known..

I was there tonight , Thursday, March 19th at around 8 pm.
    There were just a few other people waiting to take out sandwiches, plus there was just one booth occupied..
    so if you want no waiting , (or very little waiting!) go during the week!

I also got half a tuna sub for tomorrow morning before work..
    <message edited by ellen4641 on Fri, 03/20/09 9:00 PM>

Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle

• Total Posts: 1350
      • Roadfood Insider
      Re:White House Subs - Atlantic City, NJ Fri, 03/20/09 12:09 AM (permalink)
      We've never tried a White House cheesesteak, Ellen!  Sometimes we have the chance to dine there but more often the subs have to travel and we're sort of reluctant to subject the hot subs to the trip.  We've heard they make the meatballs for the meatballs subs, and they're supposed to be very good, but we've yet to try them.

Your cheesesteak looks good; but I know what you mean about tougher flaps of meat versus hacked up shreds.  I like 'em both ways but prefer the chewy flaps (like at Steve's Prince of Steaks, Pat's, and Geno's).  I'm also a Whiz partisan.  What does White House use?

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
        Re:White House Subs - Atlantic City, NJ Fri, 03/20/09 4:54 AM (permalink)
        MiamiDon

Great report, S_B_Man18.  I'll bet that the neon signs outside look great lit up at night.

I'm surprised at the agreement that the quality of the sandwiches is just so-so.  I thought I'd read posts that White House Subs was the best sub shop on the planet.  Or, am I confusing it with another similarly-named sub shop in NJ?

I'm the person who said White House subs are the best on the planet.  And I'm sticking to it.  At the beginning of this thread there were a few comments about other places being better, but no one was willing to name names.  Name them.......I'd like to try them.

MiamiDon

Re:White House Subs - Atlantic City, NJ Fri, 03/20/09 7:08 AM (permalink)
          Hi Signman.  What's your favorite there?

fattybomatty

• Total Posts: 1017
            Re:White House Subs - Atlantic City, NJ Fri, 03/20/09 10:09 AM (permalink)
            signman

MiamiDon

Great report, S_B_Man18.  I'll bet that the neon signs outside look great lit up at night.

I'm surprised at the agreement that the quality of the sandwiches is just so-so.  I thought I'd read posts that White House Subs was the best sub shop on the planet.  Or, am I confusing it with another similarly-named sub shop in NJ?

I'm the person who said White House subs are the best on the planet.  And I'm sticking to it.  At the beginning of this thread there were a few comments about other places being better, but no one was willing to name names.  Name them.......I'd like to try them.

Pal Joey's in Sewell, NJ is better, in my opinion, for an Italian Sub.  I can only speak about the Italian since that's all I had at White House.  Here is the phone number and address

(856) 415-9600 660 Woodbury Glassboro Rd, #17, Sewell, NJ 08080

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4481
              Re:White House Subs - Atlantic City, NJ Fri, 03/20/09 11:34 AM (permalink)
              Campos in Philadelphia
              The "Mama Mia" sub on a seeded Sarcone's roll
              best sandwich I have ever eaten.  ever.

I have never been to White House, so I don't know if their subs are better.  I just know this one was world-class

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
                Re:White House Subs - Atlantic City, NJ Fri, 03/20/09 12:09 PM (permalink)
                Don,  I like the cheesesteak.  It's really a cheesesteak hoagie because it includes lettuce and tomato, and it's sliced, not tiny little bits of chopped up steak that become glop when mixed with the cheese.   And the Regular is the best Italian I've ever had, although Sarcone's is pretty damn good too.

Matty, I'm pulling out my map to find Sewell. 

ellen4641

• Total Posts: 3531
                  Re:White House Subs - Atlantic City, NJ Fri, 03/20/09 9:06 PM (permalink)
                  Bruce and Sue:
                  Have'nt seen any CHEESE WIZ at the White House...
                  they seem to be PROVOLONE all  the way!

and it just shows how our opinions can vary, as my buddy Signman mentioned (in the post above) that he likes his steak sliced, not chopped...
                  I'm the opposite, as I like my "chopped up glop"....!

Sewell is about halfway between AC and Philly...
                  there is a Fat Jack's BBQ in Washington Township near there, and a Bruster's Ice Cream that I like...

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                    Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 69 of 69

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                    • No New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                    • Read Message
                    • Post New Thread
                    • Reply to message
                    • Post New Poll
                    • Submit Vote
                    • Post reward post
                    • Delete my own posts
                    • Delete my own threads
                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com