The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

White Manna Hamburgers, Hackensack NJ

sodawater43

• Total Posts: 88
White Manna Hamburgers, Hackensack NJ Mon, 01/7/08 8:46 PM (permalink)
White Manna will be featured in a DD&D episode on the Food Network on January 28th @ 10PM Eastern time. White Manna is rated one of the best burgers in the US. It is a must stop if you're in the Metro NY area.

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1559
    RE: White Manna Hamburgers, Hackensack NJ Thu, 01/10/08 12:11 PM (permalink)
    Thanks for the heads up. I've been there and agree it's a great Roadfood landmark. --Ken

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17805
      RE: White Manna Hamburgers, Hackensack NJ Thu, 01/10/08 12:52 PM (permalink)

akuban

• Total Posts: 3
        RE: White Manna Hamburgers, Hackensack NJ Thu, 01/10/08 5:25 PM (permalink)
        Really? Just looked up the schedule on the DD&D site and didn't see it on there at all.

thediningroom

• Total Posts: 84
          RE: White Manna Hamburgers, Hackensack NJ Thu, 01/10/08 5:39 PM (permalink)
          I watch the food network but refresh me, what is DD&D?

sodawater43

• Total Posts: 88
            RE: White Manna Hamburgers, Hackensack NJ Thu, 01/10/08 7:11 PM (permalink)
            On Monday Jan. 7th I ate at White Manna. There was a sign inside stating that on Jan. 28th the diner would be featured on the Food Network at 10 PM. Thats the DD&D time slot. Thats all the info I have now. Will check tomorrow for more info.

Benzee

• Total Posts: 1872
              RE: White Manna Hamburgers, Hackensack NJ Thu, 01/10/08 7:42 PM (permalink)
              Hello all ,

Have heard about this place , rave reviews .
              I take Rt. 4 home . will have to check it out before the show and tourists start descending on it

Benzee

aleswench

• Total Posts: 686
                RE: White Manna Hamburgers, Hackensack NJ Thu, 01/10/08 8:17 PM (permalink)
                Me too - I simply can NOT believe I grew up near there and have never ever been. My bad, obviously! Going to schedule a trip just to go ...wonder if Sears is still (almost) across the street. Fond memory to me going there with my mom to get school clothes - back in the day when there were virtually no malls....

ConeyIslandLou

• Total Posts: 737
                  RE: White Manna Hamburgers, Hackensack NJ Thu, 01/10/08 8:30 PM (permalink)
                  DD&D = Diners,Drive Ins and Dives

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4481
                    RE: White Manna Hamburgers, Hackensack NJ Fri, 01/11/08 10:43 AM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by akuban

Really? Just looked up the schedule on the DD&D site and didn't see it on there at all.

Welcome to Roadfood.com, Adam, oh ye of SliceNY and A Hamburger Today :-)

About time you signed up here :-)

And btw....your sister is *still* the hottest interviewee on Grilled :-)

tamandmik

• Total Posts: 949
                      RE: White Manna Hamburgers, Hackensack NJ Fri, 01/11/08 12:02 PM (permalink)
                      The White Manna is a place that begs to be reviewed by either the Sterns or a member of roadfood.com. Nothing there is less than exemplary. This place has flown under the radar screen for too long.

Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle

• Total Posts: 1350
                        • Roadfood Insider
                        RE: White Manna Hamburgers, Hackensack NJ Fri, 01/11/08 12:50 PM (permalink)
                        We love White Manna (the Hackensack, two "n" one), and we've meant to review it for months. It's a real Roadfood treasure. But our photos are kind of lousy. When we accumulate enough decent pictures, we hope to post it.

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
                          RE: White Manna Hamburgers, Hackensack NJ Fri, 01/11/08 7:52 PM (permalink)
                          White Rose, in my opinion, is better. Essentially the same type of burger, the same meat (White Diamond in Clark as well) but there is a little more meat to the bigger burgers served on a hard roll at White Rose.

Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle

• Total Posts: 1350
                            • Roadfood Insider
                            RE: White Manna Hamburgers, Hackensack NJ Fri, 01/11/08 8:06 PM (permalink)
                            Depends on which White Rose you are talking about. We will be posting a review of White Rose soon - the one in Linden. While we love this place, the burgers are not the highlight and, in our opinion, not as good as those served at White Manna (again, depends on which one you are talking about - we are referring to the one in Hackensack). White Rose's (in Linden) hard roll is really a little too large for their burger. White Manna's potato roll is perfect for theirs.

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
                              RE: White Manna Hamburgers, Hackensack NJ Fri, 01/11/08 8:22 PM (permalink)
                              The White Rose I go to is in Roselle, which is near the Linden location. I can't speak for the Linden White Rose, but the Roselle location serves my favorite burger. It's not the regular burger, but the larger bacon cheeseburger which comes with ketchup, pickles, onions, (which I omit) cheese, and bacon. With everything piled on, I'd say that the roll is the perfect size. You may disagree, but try the Roselle location. There is also a White Rose in Highland Park which I've never been to. In fact, this one might be the most popular.

vwgto

• Total Posts: 44
                                RE: White Manna Hamburgers, Hackensack NJ Sat, 01/12/08 11:04 PM (permalink)
                                I was back in NJ visiting family several months ago and noted I wanted to go to White Manna (had seen on internet forums). My teenage nephews knew about it and frequented with friends (a good sign for longevity); my native NJ 40-something brother and sister-in-law never heard of it... It is a classic tiny diner-like buidling with a semi-circular counter around the grill. The small burgers with onions were great. How anyone can catch a chain burger in that area, I will never know....

akuban

RE: White Manna Hamburgers, Hackensack NJ Wed, 01/23/08 11:10 AM (permalink)
                                  TJ Jackson: Yeah. I've never really signed up on food boards -- just lurked -- because I'm always really bad at coming back and checking up on discussions. Thanks for the welcome!

And now I'm guessing that you were "Anonymous" with the Grilled comments about my sister! Heh.

I'm still not seeing the White Manna info on DD&D site, but I'll take it on faith that sodawater43 has some super inside dope on it.

DPuro329

• Total Posts: 406
                                    RE: White Manna Hamburgers, Hackensack NJ Wed, 01/23/08 5:28 PM (permalink)
                                    I'm thinking of hitting up White Manna this weekend. Are they open Sundays? and where in Hackensack are they located?

Dave

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1503
                                      RE: White Manna Hamburgers, Hackensack NJ Wed, 01/23/08 8:30 PM (permalink)
                                      http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2005/06/white_manna_a_n.php

Dave,
                                      This should get you there.
                                      The Bear

DPuro329

RE: White Manna Hamburgers, Hackensack NJ Wed, 01/23/08 9:53 PM (permalink)
                                        Thanks Bear!
                                        I looked on the foodnetwork website and the Jan 28th episode of DD&D is the NJ Diner Tour. Guy stops at 7 diners, the White Manna, The Ritz in Livingston, the Skylark in Edison, the Jeferson Diner in Lake Hopatcong, Moustashe Bill's on LBI, The Heightstown Diner, and the Tick Tock in Clifton.
                                        Here's a link to the page.
                                        http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_dv/episode/0,3151,FOOD_29156_55174,00.html

Dave

BeefAficionado

• Total Posts: 31
                                          RE: White Manna Hamburgers, Hackensack NJ Mon, 01/28/08 9:05 AM (permalink)
                                          Tp pique everyones interest here is a video I shot at White Manna:

<link removed>

Benzee

• Total Posts: 1872
                                            RE: White Manna Hamburgers, Hackensack NJ Mon, 01/28/08 7:49 PM (permalink)
                                            Hello all ,

I stopped by the White Manna last week for a few burgers .
                                            Excellent !!
                                            Made right in front of you .
                                            Small old time place with great nostalgic feel.
                                            Mcy D's across the street . Why???????
                                            Would never go there with this fine burger right in its path .

Benzee

DPuro329

RE: White Manna Hamburgers, Hackensack NJ Mon, 01/28/08 8:05 PM (permalink)
                                              I had some free time yesterday so I drove up to White Manna in Hackensack. I figured I should try it before the tourists take over. Very cool place, very small grill!! Took about an hour as some people ordered large quantities in front of me (I only ordered 4). I'll have to post my pics as soon as I figure out how to do so. The burgers were excellent, nice and greasy and oniony (I still smell the onions on my fingers today) and somehow I snagged a counter seat next to the grill so I got to watch them being made. I agree with Benzee about the McDonalds.

Dave

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                                                • Roadfood Insider
                                                RE: White Manna Hamburgers, Hackensack NJ Mon, 01/28/08 9:13 PM (permalink)
                                                Just a quick reminder, the show airs at 10pm EST tonight..

Ghoti4t5

• Total Posts: 1
                                                  RE: White Manna Hamburgers, Hackensack NJ Sat, 02/16/08 11:40 PM (permalink)
                                                  I have not had a chance to try the White Manna yet but I plan to. I did see the rerun of the DD&D tonight and the slider prep lookd a lot like another great (in my estimation) hamburger place, White Diamond in Clark NJ, right off exit 135 on the GSP. One difference is that when you order a double it comes on a somewhat soft but crispy hard (pan) roll rather than on a classic hamburger roll. There used to be another White Diamond in LInden NJ on St Georges Avenue but I haven't been in the area in awhile. If you are ever in Clark NJ, give it a try.

Dog Boss

• Total Posts: 206
                                                    • Location: Central Jersey, NJ
                                                    RE: White Manna Hamburgers, Hackensack NJ Sat, 07/18/09 10:35 AM (permalink)
                                                    been to the linden and clark location of white rose in the past, but, i really like the highland park location. very good crew behind the counter there, new generation............lol  

need to make my way to WHITE MANNA,  soon

Buddy Dek

• Total Posts: 133
                                                      • Location: Long Island, NY
                                                      RE: White Manna Hamburgers, Hackensack NJ Sun, 07/19/09 8:15 PM (permalink)
                                                      Since viewing this  White Manna video on You Tube, I have put this place on my "must eat list".                                        BUDDY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEccdJKg7sQ

swvadon

• Total Posts: 36
                                                        • Location: Abingdon, VA
                                                        RE: White Manna Hamburgers, Hackensack NJ Sun, 02/21/10 7:59 PM (permalink)
                                                        I just watched a replay of that episode earlier this afternoon. White Manna looks like a cool place, and I could definitely put down four or eight of those bad boys...

Something enjoyable about eating a lot of little burgers, as opposed to one big burger...

Bogframe

• Location: Brooklyn, NY
                                                          RE: White Manna Hamburgers, Hackensack NJ Tue, 10/25/11 9:00 AM (permalink)
                                                          tamandmik

The White Manna is a place that begs to be reviewed by either the Sterns or a member of roadfood.com. Nothing there is less than exemplary. This place has flown under the radar screen for too long.

I did. Let me know what you think.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                            • No New Messages
                                                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                            • Read Message
                                                            • Post New Thread
                                                            • Reply to message
                                                            • Post New Poll
                                                            • Submit Vote
                                                            • Post reward post
                                                            • Delete my own posts
                                                            • Delete my own threads
                                                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com