Whitey's in VA

Author
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
2005/03/18 08:45:32 (permalink)

Whitey's in VA

Not sure if anyone here has memories of Whitey's in Arlington VA...but it was a long time favorite of mine. They were noted for their broasted chicken and the pink neon sign outside that simply said EAT. I went past there a short time ago and was saddened to see a wine bar of all things had replaced this landmark. The last time I had been down that way they had gotten involved in this "Stonegrill" concept, which was a far cry from the plastic baskets of chicken that I had come to love.

Anyway...another one bites the dust.

3 Replies Related Threads

QFan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 643
    RE: Whitey's in VA 2005/03/18 10:31:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tony Bad

Not sure if anyone here has memories of Whitey's in Arlington VA...but it was a long time favorite of mine. They were noted for their broasted chicken and the pink neon sign outside that simply said EAT. I went past there a short time ago and was saddened to see a wine bar of all things had replaced this landmark. The last time I had been down that way they had gotten involved in this "Stonegrill" concept, which was a far cry from the plastic baskets of chicken that I had come to love.

Anyway...another one bites the dust.

Hey man, I do have memories of Whitey's (lived in the DC area for 23 yrs before moving down here). It was kind of the last of the "blue collar" places on a street that had become sort of an international road food happening. I remember that along that one stretch in either direction you could find food from El Salvador, Mexico, China, Japan, Viet Nam and I don't remember what all else. I believe Whitey's was still hanging in there as recently as the late 90's. R.I.P.
    Thanks for the flash from the past!

QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Whitey's in VA 2005/03/18 12:24:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Hey man, I do have memories of Whitey's (lived in the DC area for 23 yrs before moving down here). It was kind of the last of the "blue collar" places on a street that had become sort of an international road food happening. I remember that along that one stretch in either direction you could find food from El Salvador, Mexico, China, Japan, Viet Nam and I don't remember what all else. I believe Whitey's was still hanging in there as recently as the late 90's. R.I.P.
    Thanks for the flash from the past!

QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL

I moved from that area in 1990, but still managed to make it back a few times a year and always made it a point to stop. Washington Blvd had indeed become quite an international food center, with a lot of good food choices. As I said, one of the last times I was there they were offering this ything where your food was cooked on a hot stone slab, which was then brought to your table. It seemed odd to me, and REAL odd and out of place given the history of Whitey's. I think the years before I left was a period where the DC area was going in two different directions...many immigrants who were not likely to eat at Whitey's, and a lot of Yuppies who were too good (in their own mind)to eat at Whitey's. Their kind of crowd had vanished. Too bad.
    jpatweb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: Whitey's in VA 2005/03/18 16:24:54 (permalink)
    Whitey's closed in 2003, a victim of Arlington's skyrocketing housing market, or more specifically, the demographic changes that go along with such things. Ironically, this ultimate neighborhood bar and grill was done in by its neighborhood.

The immediate area had been undergoing a makeover for several years, and the upwardly mobile newcomers wanted nothing to do with the scruffy decade's-old establishment with its broasted chicken and bluegrass nights, at one point even banding together to fight Whitey's plans to expand into an adjacent building. They also spoke loud and clear with their wallets, choosing to eat and drink in the splashier and more hip joints opening all over Clarendon. The old guard continued to move on and business suffered. The stone grilling experiment was a last ditch effort by Whitey's to try and appeal to someone, anyone.

My last visit to Whitey's was on the early afternoon of 9/11, and for a while that day it served as a place of refuge for myself and a few co-workers who had spent a good part of the morning trying to get out of DC and away from the reach of the events unfolding at the Pentagon. With that memory in mind, I probably won't see too much of a need to set food in Talullah's, the sleek wine bar that has replaced Whitey's. RIP indeed.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1