Who Has The Largest Cheesesteak?

Author
peppertree
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 302
2004/03/20 20:38:15 (permalink)

Who Has The Largest Cheesesteak?

I think there should be two catagories for this. Philadelphia area and all other areas.

Who has the biggest STUFFED cheesesteak with gobs of meat and all other nice things. Is there one where you have to try to keep the ingredients from falling out?

And what about the longest rolls sliced and full of cheesesteak?

My Pat's usually drips Cheeswiz. At Oregon steaks, it is sometimes hard to keep the meat from falling out.

Bon apatit (or whatever they say in Quebec).

21 Replies Related Threads

signman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: Who Has The Largest Cheesesteak? 2004/03/20 23:53:19 (permalink)
    In other areas, I nominate Captain Harvey's Submarines with 2 locations in Baltimore County. For under 5 bucks you get probably 3/4 lb or more of chopped into little bits sliced steak on a falls apart in your hands, tastes like wet cardboard H&S Bakery sub roll. This place is wildly popular, has no seating whatsoever, and serves a mediocre but huge product that is a tremendous value. Unfortunately the people who swear by this sandwich know no better.
    CheeseWit
    • Total Posts : 1393
    RE: Who Has The Largest Cheesesteak? 2004/03/21 07:28:46 (permalink)
    I heard the faint calling of my name and my favorite topic this morning as I awoke. Or was it the implosion of Veteran's Stadium this morning?
    In the Philadelphia region, my favorite "overstuffed" cheesesteaks are found at Leo's on Chester Pike in the Folcroft area and Bocella's Deli in Havertown. Bocella's steaks are THE largest. You need a fork to get to the meat that drops out.
    Bocella's will be one of our stops on the Cheesesteak tour that is slated for late June.
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Who Has The Largest Cheesesteak? 2004/03/21 12:01:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CheeseWit

I heard the faint calling of my name and my favorite topic this morning as I awoke. Or was it the implosion of Veteran's Stadium this morning?
    In the Philadelphia region, my favorite "overstuffed" cheesesteaks are found at Leo's on Chester Pike in the Folcroft area and Bocella's Deli in Havertown. Bocella's steaks are THE largest. You need a fork to get to the meat that drops out.
    Bocella's will be one of our stops on the Cheesesteak tour that is slated for late June.

A cheesesteak tour sounds interesting but I have a question. How many cheesesteaks can one eat in a day?
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2296
    RE: Who Has The Largest Cheesesteak? 2004/03/21 15:26:12 (permalink)
    The answer is......drumroll, please.....MORE!
    CheeseWit
    RE: Who Has The Largest Cheesesteak? 2004/03/21 17:06:10 (permalink)
    I've touched on the cheesesteak tour in a few other threads. Bushie is coming to town in late June and I promised him a tour of some of the best cheesesteak shops in the area along with some other Philly area food stops.
    Our thinking is approx. 5 stops where you can partake or not; it's up to the individual.
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Who Has The Largest Cheesesteak? 2004/03/21 17:30:42 (permalink)
    quote:

I've touched on the cheesesteak tour in a few other threads. Bushie is coming to town in late June and I promised him a tour of some of the best cheesesteak shops in the area along with some other Philly area food stops.
    Our thinking is approx. 5 stops where you can partake or not; it's up to the individual.

I passed this information on to the family and my son and daughter in law said "COOL"............they agreed to give me a small sample at each place.
    signman
    RE: Who Has The Largest Cheesesteak? 2004/03/21 18:03:47 (permalink)
    Katie, the answer to your question is "no one knows how many cheesesteaks can be eaten in a day", so after we digest our crabcakes, we will try to find the answer. Sounds like fun. I'll be there.
    fbrink
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: Who Has The Largest Cheesesteak? 2004/03/21 19:59:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by signman

In other areas, I nominate Captain Harvey's Submarines with 2 locations in Baltimore County. For under 5 bucks you get probably 3/4 lb or more of chopped into little bits sliced steak on a falls apart in your hands, tastes like wet cardboard H&S Bakery sub roll. This place is wildly popular, has no seating whatsoever, and serves a mediocre but huge product that is a tremendous value. Unfortunately the people who swear by this sandwich know no better.

I agree exactly with that sentiment. It is a ton of meat, more than Iv ever seen in Philly, or anywhere else i've been, but it does not taste very good.
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: Who Has The Largest Cheesesteak? 2004/03/21 22:57:37 (permalink)
    Of course. And. Who was the largest insurance policy? And largest cardiac care unit? Size matters.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Who Has The Largest Cheesesteak? 2004/03/21 23:56:43 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    Don't forget Mama's in Bala Cynwyd! - The cemetery is right across the road, if ya need it.
    Necrophobically, Ort. Carlton in Thriving Athens, Georgia.
    P. S. Keep us posted on this cheese steak tour. I might wanna go.
    CheeseWit
    RE: Who Has The Largest Cheesesteak? 2004/03/22 04:37:28 (permalink)
    Ort.: Mama's will be one of our stops on the tour. The tour is not just going to the largest cheesesteaks; it is to show the differences in steak sandwiches and to show the different nuances of each version of the sandwich.
    signman
    RE: Who Has The Largest Cheesesteak? 2004/03/22 08:08:32 (permalink)
    CW, Now my curiousity needs satisfying. What are some of the places that might be on the tour.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Who Has The Largest Cheesesteak? 2004/03/22 22:05:21 (permalink)
    quote:

Ort.: Mama's will be one of our stops on the tour. The tour is not just going to the largest cheesesteaks; it is to show the differences in steak sandwiches and to show the different nuances of each version of the sandwich.

Cheesewit,
    Even if I have to come up on Amtrak, I wanna be wit you guys... all da way. When's ya goin'? I gotta be dere. Kin I - pleeeease - kin I? I'll ack decent - promise!
    UnFluffily, Ort. Carlton in 30601-Central.
    CheeseWit
    RE: Who Has The Largest Cheesesteak? 2004/03/22 22:17:18 (permalink)
    All are welcome! All are welcome! The tour is dependent upon Bushie's travel schedule. As soon as he firms up his plans, the tour date(s) will be determined.
    I don't want to tell you all of the planned stops but suffice it to say that Pat's, Geno's, Jim's, and Mama's will be included in deference to the out of town visitors. But I have some choice spots picked out that I will not reveal until the tour date and times are set.
    peppertree
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 302
    RE: Who Has The Largest Cheesesteak? 2004/03/25 16:38:12 (permalink)
    A cheesesteak tour is a great idea. If I could get away, I would go up to Philadelphia to take part in it.

Are there going to be awards? Freshest bread. Stalest bread? Greasiest, most stuffed etc.

If awards are on the line, free food may even be given away.
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: Who Has The Largest Cheesesteak? 2004/03/25 16:45:08 (permalink)
    I'm not sure how much it weighs, but Philly Steakout in Rochester, NY offers their sandwiches in two sizes, regular and large. The large is on a somewhat larger roll, but is just packed with meat. It really fills you up, and the meat is always trying to fall out on your plate.
    DisneyHokie
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Who Has The Largest Cheesesteak? 2004/04/05 21:47:50 (permalink)
    Terrigno's in Bridgeton NJ.....soooo good and soooo bigggg!!
    SCOTT
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Who Has The Largest Cheesesteak? 2004/04/13 15:26:17 (permalink)

PHILA AREA

AS FAR AS CHEESESTEAKS MAMAS ON BELMONT AVE OFF 76 IN PHILA IS NOT ONLY THE BEST, BUT THE LARGEST AND MOST OVERSTUFFED IN THE NORTHEAST.
    IT IS THE KATZS, HAROLDS & 2ND AVE OF CHEESESTEAK SANWICHES.
    HIGH QUALITY CRISPY ROLL, BEEF FRESHLY GROUND DAILY THERE SANDWICHES HAVE 3 TIMES AS MUCH MEAT AS PATS, GINOS OR JIMS WITHOUT THE DRIPPING GREASE.

IF YOUR INTO PORK, VEAL OR CHICKEN CUTLET SANDWICHES THEN TONY LUKES
    ON OREGON AVE IS THE PLACE. LUKES SAUSAGE & EGG ON A LONG ROLL SERVED 24 HOURS A DAY IS A REAL SLEEPER AND LIKE OUT OF THIS WORLD.
    hungovergourmet
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 188
    RE: Who Has The Largest Cheesesteak? 2004/04/17 16:44:58 (permalink)
    After the smashing success of the Crabcake M&E, the Cheesesteak Tour is a definite for my better half and me. We're South Jersey natives that spent lots of time in Philly, so the very idea of a half-dozen cheesesteak stops in one day is, well, just an incredible idea.

I always liked Pat's in South Philly, Big John's on Route 70 in Cherry Hill, Gaetano's in Willingboro, Carmen's in Delran... oh how I miss real cheesesteaks...
    BostonChowHound
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: Who Has The Largest Cheesesteak? 2004/07/06 17:32:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by peppertree

I think there should be two catagories for this. Philadelphia area and all other areas.

Who has the biggest STUFFED cheesesteak with gobs of meat and all other nice things. Is there one where you have to try to keep the ingredients from falling out?

If anybody is in the Boston area, I have a couple of places w/ HUGE cheesesteaks:

1) Carl's Steak & Cheese - Prospect Street in Waltham
    2) T.C. Lando's - Main Street in Hudson (and another in Maynard or Acton, I believe)

These places are owned by the same family, and serve unbelievably HUGE cheesesteaks, STUFFED with all the gooey goodness that you want. I like mine w/ onions & mushrooms, sometimes w/ a touch of teriyaki sauce. I don't think they have Whiz. When my wife and I feel like being "bad", that's where we go.

John

CheeseWit
    RE: Who Has The Largest Cheesesteak? 2004/07/06 17:59:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BostonChowHound

quote:
    Originally posted by peppertree

If anybody is in the Boston area, I have a couple of places w/ HUGE cheesesteaks:

1) Carl's Steak & Cheese - Prospect Street in Waltham
    2) T.C. Lando's - Main Street in Hudson (and another in Maynard or Acton, I believe)

These places are owned by the same family, and serve unbelievably HUGE cheesesteaks, STUFFED with all the gooey goodness that you want. I like mine w/ onions & mushrooms, sometimes w/ a touch of teriyaki sauce. I don't think they have Whiz. When my wife and I feel like being "bad", that's where we go.

John

Thanks for the Boston area tip!!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1