Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
OliverB
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 50
RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? 2008/05/19 15:13:05 (permalink)
Thanks for all the replies! To clarify, the peas would not be in or a part of the gravy, rather scattered about the plate and atop the meat, onions, mushrooms, vegies and potatoes with the gravy covering. It should all just swim around the plate. Frozen peas I imagine, could work just as well!
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3726
RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? 2008/05/19 15:53:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Trishkaidekaphobia
Few NL locals will stay at a B&B etc.

Sorry but I do not understand this statement. Could you explain further?
John A
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? 2008/05/19 17:36:31 (permalink)
A quick search reveals dozens of recipes for hamburger steak. Hard to imagine someone not ever having heard of it. Call it hamburger steak, Salisbury steak, Shepherds Pie, whatever, it's one of my favorites.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10257
RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? 2008/05/19 17:59:18 (permalink)
Haven't had this dish, what ever you call it, in years so I decided to give it a whirl. Here's the recipe?? I used. Somma Dis, Somma Dat:
INGREDIENTS:
1 can (14.5 ounce) can
Vegetable Broth
1 pound ground beef
2/3 cup dry bread crumbs
1 cup finely chopped onions
2 eggs
1/4 teaspoon salt
2-3 tablespoons ground black pepper
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablepoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1 small can sliced mushrooms

DIRECTIONS:
1. In a large bowl, mix together 1/2 can of Veggie Broth with ground beef, onions, bread crumbs, egg, salt and black pepper. Mix well. Cover with plastic wrap directly on the meat and refrigerate for 3-4 hours.
2. When ready to cook, Shape meat into 4 oval patties.
3. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add some olive oil and brown both sides of patties.
Remove Patties from the pan and pour off excess fat.
4. In a small bowl, blend flour and remaining broth until smooth. Mix in ketchup, Worcestershire sauce and mustard powder. Pour into skillet on medium temperature stirring until the gravy thickens.
5. Add Meat back to the skillet.Cover with some gravy, add Mushrooms, Cover, and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Trishkaidekaphobia
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 133
RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? 2008/05/20 20:00:38 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Greymo

quote:

Sorry Greymo, it's probably my Canadian English. I was trying to say that few local people from Newfoundland (Canadian postal abbreviation is NL) would stay at a Bed and Breakfast. If you're staying at a B&B on The Rock (or anywhere), you're most likely (though not necessarily) a visitor.

It's just my opinion and you're more than welcome to disagree if you have a mind to.

Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? 2008/05/20 20:24:29 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

quote:

Sorry Greymo, it's probably my Canadian English. I was trying to say that few local people from Newfoundland (Canadian postal abbreviation is NL) would stay at a Bed and Breakfast. If you're staying at a B&B on The Rock (or anywhere), you're most likely (though not necessarily) a visitor.

It's just my opinion and you're more than welcome to disagree if you have a mind to.

OK, So let me see if I have this right. Few NL'ers would stay at a B&B in NL (Or is that anywhere?).However, if You ARE staying at a B&B "On the Rock"(I assume that's NL), Then you're probably a Non-NL'er, but not necessarily. You COULD be a NL'er!! So in all actuality, we really don't know for sure if NL'ers stay in NL B&B's or anywhere else in the World!-----------My head hurts, Time for a Molson's.----- I wonder if NL'ers drink Molson's??? HUM!
Trishkaidekaphobia
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 133
RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? 2008/05/21 14:03:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Foodbme

quote:

quote:

quote:

OK, So let me see if I have this right. Few NL'ers would stay at a B&B in NL (Or is that anywhere?).However, if You ARE staying at a B&B "On the Rock"(I assume that's NL), Then you're probably a Non-NL'er, but not necessarily. You COULD be a NL'er!! So in all actuality, we really don't know for sure if NL'ers stay in NL B&B's or anywhere else in the World!-----------My head hurts, Time for a Molson's.----- I wonder if NL'ers drink Molson's??? HUM!

MOLSON'S???!!! Hell, after that, I need a Valium!
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4625
RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? 2008/05/21 14:22:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by John A

A quick search reveals dozens of recipes for hamburger steak. Hard to imagine someone not ever having heard of it. Call it hamburger steak, Salisbury steak, Shepherds Pie, whatever, it's one of my favorites.

I thought a Shephard's Pie was baked with Mashed Potatoes on top. Am I mistaken?
rebeltruce
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 702
RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? 2008/05/21 14:26:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by bill voss

quote:

I thought a Shephard's Pie was baked with Mashed Potatoes on top. Am I mistaken?

The Shepards Pie comment probably refers to my post, where I said "Kinda like a free form Shepard Pie".....I was saying that I like to mix my Hamburger steak with my mashers, peas, and gravy. Get it? A free form Shepards Pie.
DLnWPBrown
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 832
RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? 2008/05/21 14:36:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
Originally posted by OliverB

What's the something else you'd have in mind?

Oh, dog food, perhaps. If, that is, you're not fond of the dog. I believe that calling a pile of ground meat a steak is as ridiculous as calling a pile of oyster shells seafood.

After reading some of your comments to OliverB, I lost some respect for you. I grew up here in the south and I remember my grandmother making hamburger steak twice a month. It only had gravy and onions, but we called it hamburger steak non the less. We were't poor, but we had to watch our money and it a way to feel like you had more than you might have.

For a person with so many posts and such a good rep up here, I am disappointed in how your gave a few elbow reaction comments to a newbie.

If this gets pulled or I get popped off for a few days, that will tell me alot too. I know some of you are up here all the time but there are better ways to introduce someone who is fairly new to this website to how good it can be.

Dennis in Cary
Theedge
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1196
RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? 2008/05/21 14:57:38 (permalink)
I just had hamburger steak last night, on the grill with cheese. I serve it up with a side of green beans mixed with a bit of cream, butter, starch, salt, pepper for a white sauce. I was half way through when Michael Hoffman stopped by; he was quite flustered that I hadn’t invited him over for another fine meal. It took about 2 Past Blue Ribbons and a shot of Wild Turkey to calm him.
DLnWPBrown
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? 2008/05/21 15:09:31 (permalink)
DAMN, I love PBR's. I should have mentioned those on the unmanly drink posting I made
We usually had white rice, green beans, and homemade biscuits when grandma made hamburger steak. It was also a staple on camping trips as she would cook outside the camper as it was so hot inside afterwards when she cooked. She did cook the biscuits in the oven though

I also like Schlitz in the can. I can usualyy find both for about $3 a six pack at my local Lowe's Foods.

Dennis in Cary

juleebella
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 127
RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? 2008/05/21 15:44:43 (permalink)
quote:

A hamburger steak should be just that... ground from chuck and grilled in a big scrubby frying pan over the burners with the sizzlin' meaty juices blending and soaking into the sloppy pile of onions and cooked mushrooms laid atop!

Toss it onto a plate with some fluffy white mashed potatoes and sweet canned peas ladled over large chunks of thick brown gravy and let it all blend into a dark soupy artery clogging mess!

It's the American way.

That doesn't sound very appealing, but I will say that hamburger steaks are just about my husband's favorite meal. We have them quite often.
John A
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? 2008/05/22 08:29:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by bill voss

quote:

Hi Bill, no you're not mistaken. Same ingredients served vertically instead of horizontally, tastes good either way. If there's corn on the side of either it gets mixed in as well.
Oneiron339
  • Total Posts : 2075
RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? 2008/05/22 16:30:23 (permalink)
Since this thread is WAY off line - the best hamburger steak I've had was at Pilgreen's (The Steak King)in Atlanta - just the right amount of gravy with fries and onion rings and a salad. Next best was at Mary Ann's - a roadfood diner in Jasper, GA. You had to call ahead to have them make it or you'd sit for a long while as it was prepared. Both of the above were fresh and juicy and there are not too many steaks I'd trtade for either one of these.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18441
RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? 2008/05/22 18:34:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by DLnWPBrown

quote:

quote:

Oh, dog food, perhaps. If, that is, you're not fond of the dog. I believe that calling a pile of ground meat a steak is as ridiculous as calling a pile of oyster shells seafood.

After reading some of your comments to OliverB, I lost some respect for you.
Dennis in Cary

Well, now, that just causes me no end of disappointment. I shall, however, do my very best to overcome this feeling of bereftness brought on by your loss of respect.
DLnWPBrown
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? 2008/05/22 21:51:33 (permalink)
Sorry, my point was you didn't have to be so hard on someone who was new to the group is all. If your only reply is with more sarcasim, so be it.

Dennis in Cary
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5071
RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? 2008/05/22 22:16:17 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

With fried onions, mushrooms and sweet canned peas floating in hot thick gravy?

That sounds really terrible.

Add mashed potatoes, and you have the meal I practically lived while living at the downtown Los Angeles YMCA. Where, as a young starving actor in 1958, I enjoyed that meal for only .99 cents.
The tiny restaurant in that YMCA served that meal every day. And, I loved it. Every day!
boyardee65
  • Total Posts : 1460
RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? 2008/05/22 23:21:33 (permalink)
My favorite place for Hamburger Steak is the Bar 7 restaurant and Saloon in Wickenburg, AZ. It is actually hand ground chuck steak cooked to your specification on a charcoal broiler, served with smashed potatoes(fake), grilled onions(real), homemade gravy, and the veg du jour. One of my all time favorite comfort meals!

David O.
boyardee65
  • Total Posts : 1460
RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? 2008/05/23 02:09:43 (permalink)
quote:

Haven't had this dish, what ever you call it, in years so I decided to give it a whirl. Here's the recipe?? I used. Somma Dis, Somma Dat:
INGREDIENTS:
1 can (14.5 ounce) can
Vegetable Broth
1 pound ground beef
2/3 cup dry bread crumbs
2 eggs
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons ketchup

DIRECTIONS:
1. In a large bowl, mix together 1/2 can of Veggie Broth with ground beef, onions, bread crumbs, egg, salt and black pepper. Mix well. Cover with plastic wrap directly on the meat and refrigerate for 3-4 hours.
3. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add some olive oil and brown both sides of patties.
4. In a small bowl, blend flour and remaining broth until smooth. Mix in ketchup, Worcestershire sauce and mustard powder. Pour into skillet on medium temperature stirring until the gravy thickens.
5. Add Meat back to the skillet.Cover with some gravy, add Mushrooms, Cover, and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

This is NOT Chopped Steak!!! This is Meatloaf on a grill!!!David O.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? 2008/05/23 03:50:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by boyardee65

INGREDIENTS:
1 can (14.5 ounce) can
Vegetable Broth
1 pound ground beef
2/3 cup dry bread crumbs
2 eggs
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons ketchup

DIRECTIONS:

This is NOT Chopped Steak!!! This is Meatloaf on a grill!!!David O.
[/quot

Whatever it is, It's pretty darn god. And it's cooked in a Skillet, not on a grill! Besides, If you cook it on a grill, the gravy tends to drip through, unless it's real thick gravy!
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? 2008/05/25 10:24:51 (permalink)
Ha. Most of my creations are "Somma Dis, Somma Dat". LOL
DLnWPBrown
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? 2008/05/30 16:45:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

Ha. Most of my creations are "Somma Dis, Somma Dat". LOL

Same her Adj., I play around with leftovers or things that need to be cooked soon and come up with interesting ideas.

Dennis in Cary
Bill Reynolds
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 230
RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? 2009/02/08 23:28:14 (permalink)
I agree with the hamburger steak with gravy,onions and mushrooms and the sweet peas over mashed taters with gravey,but please throw in a slice of cornbread and a glass of sweet tea.I guess that is the southerner coming out in me.Heaven on a plate.
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? 2009/02/09 00:36:48 (permalink)
I hate to admit this, but the best chopped steak / hamburger steak I can remember having came from a chain, albeit a small regional one. It's a family steakhouse chain called Hoss's, and almost all of their several dozen locations are in western Pennsylvania. Several years ago I ate at the Hoss's near Oil City PA, and the chopped steak and baked potato that I had was just perfect. I was amazed! Chain restaurant food that can't be improved upon? In THIS universe?? Bizarre but true; I loved every bite of the meal. I was so impressed that I tracked down the manager and let him know how pleased I was. Has anyone else out there had any experience with Hoss's?
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? 2009/02/09 00:53:33 (permalink)
Just looked at Hoss's website and discovered a couple of inaccuracies on my part. Hoss's restaurants are located all over PA, not just the western part. Also, my painfully flawed memory said Oil City, but it turns out that there isn't a Hoss's in OC, so.... hell, I don't have a clue where in PA it was. Gettin' old....
mamaduck43
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 189
RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? 2009/02/09 03:06:10 (permalink)
Hamburger steak is a staple at plate lunch places, and food wagons/trucks in Hawaii...  A free formed ground beef patty, pan-fried, smothered in brown gravy and served with the always-present two scoops rice and mac salad...  If you want sauted onions and veggie, you have to ask....

In Hawaii, chop steak is an altogether different thing - - it is actual chopped or thin sliced steak, stirfried with peppers, onions, veggies (usually some bean sprouts are added) and the sauce that it is sauted with usually has a shoyu (soy sauce) base.....  Great with the two scoops rice!!!!!
jeepguy
  • Total Posts : 1555
RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? 2009/02/09 03:12:56 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

[id=quote font="arial, helvetica"]quote: Originally posted by OliverB

It's called a Chop Steak at Waffle House, it's covered with grilled onions. Order one tonight and let us know how it was!
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? 2009/02/09 05:22:46 (permalink)
jeepguy

Michael Hoffman

[id=quote font="arial, helvetica"]quote: Originally posted by OliverB

It's called a Chop Steak at Waffle House, it's covered with grilled onions. Order one tonight and let us know how it was!

And a thing of beauty it is...
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1