Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak?

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 59
OliverB

• Total Posts: 50
Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? Sat, 05/17/08 3:56 PM (permalink)

With fried onions, mushrooms and sweet canned peas floating in hot thick gravy?

rongmtek

• Total Posts: 503
    RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? Sat, 05/17/08 3:59 PM (permalink)
    So, where exactly are you from, stranger?
    Ron

OliverB

RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? Sat, 05/17/08 4:04 PM (permalink)
      I'm from Montreal, probably far out of most of the roadfoodies jurisdiction here.

I'm often on the North Country/Plattsburgh end of the border and venture up to the green mountains of Vermont quite often. But it was more of a general inquiry. Of course, if anyone knew of any legendary stops in the Quebec/Ontario region, that'd be ideal!

I'd seriously be willing to travel across continents for a really serious hamburger steak!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17810
        RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? Sat, 05/17/08 4:12 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by OliverB

That sounds really terrible.

OliverB

RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? Sat, 05/17/08 4:17 PM (permalink)
          Huh, is there any other way to make a hamburger steak, Michael?!

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3661
            RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? Sat, 05/17/08 4:19 PM (permalink)
            Hamburger steak is never serious................it is just a big hamburger!

Michael Hoffman

RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? Sat, 05/17/08 4:24 PM (permalink)
              quote:

Huh, is there any other way to make a hamburger steak, Michael?!

Yes. Don't grind it and cook something else with it. But, if one must eat a thick slab of ground meat, the idea of canned peas is the regurgitator.

OliverB

RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? Sat, 05/17/08 4:39 PM (permalink)
                What's the something else you'd have in mind?

A hamburger steak should be just that... ground from chuck and grilled in a big scrubby frying pan over the burners with the sizzlin' meaty juices blending and soaking into the sloppy pile of onions and cooked mushrooms laid atop!

Toss it onto a plate with some fluffy white mashed potatoes and sweet canned peas ladled over large chunks of thick brown gravy and let it all blend into a dark soupy artery clogging mess!

It's the American way.

Greyghost

• Total Posts: 1336
                  RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? Sat, 05/17/08 5:00 PM (permalink)
                  Sounds interesting, Oliver. I would try it. I don't think beef once ground, qualifies as steak no matter what cut of beef you ground up. I do think you could get this dish at any diner anywhere though, if you asked them to make it for you. I think they would have all the ingredients on hand and be able to do this dish with ease.

Who knows, request this at enough diners and before you know it you will be famous for inventing Ground Beef Ala Oliver. I do think I would try fresh or frozen peas though. That canned stuff is pretty terrible.

OliverB

RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? Sat, 05/17/08 5:18 PM (permalink)
                    Hmmm... maybe it's just a regional Quebec thing than because here in Montreal, it's quite common diner fare.

The problem is that only a few places really know how to get it right with the mash and gravy & tenderness of the meat. I had one at Magnan's recently (well known for their roast beef in town) and it was very good; One of the best I've had in a while! The gravy was dark and spicy and had a smoky flavor and the hambuger steak was charred just right and buried in onions and sauteed mushrooms.

Usually the greasy spoons in town will just serve you an overcooked hamburger sans-bun with some canned gravy and onions on top. Few places know how to do it just right. I'm surprised to learn that this isn't a typical diner staple in the U.S. as well, it seems to fit the style of classic American diner food... maybe we Montrealers are spoiled with our homemade gravy on everything (poutine, chicken, etc.)

I wonder, do you have "Hot Chicken Sandwiches" in the States as well; I don't recall ever seeing this on a menu. I wonder if that's a Montreal thing too?

djmsalem

RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? Sat, 05/17/08 5:30 PM (permalink)
                      Oliver, I think you see hot turkey sandwiches more often than chicken. I'm trying to think why that is...

rouxdog

• Total Posts: 1421
                        RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? Sat, 05/17/08 5:44 PM (permalink)
                        OliverB, welcome.. I too enjoy a good hamburger steak, gravy and green peas. Also add a good dip of mashed taters underneath the peas and gravy. Pass the pepper mill. Heavy on the gravy and onions for me.Fine dining!

Greyghost

• Total Posts: 1336
                          RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? Sat, 05/17/08 5:48 PM (permalink)
                          Oliver,

We have this stuff in the US in spades. I think what you are talking about is that in Quebec they do things in a French way and that usually means attention to detail, especially with the sauce. Fine with me, every time.

Keep your commentary about Canadian food coming. It is very interesting.

Michael Hoffman

RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? Sat, 05/17/08 7:12 PM (permalink)
                            quote:

What's the something else you'd have in mind?

Oh, dog food, perhaps. If, that is, you're not fond of the dog. I believe that calling a pile of ground meat a steak is as ridiculous as calling a pile of oyster shells seafood.

Trishkaidekaphobia

• Total Posts: 133
                              RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? Sat, 05/17/08 7:18 PM (permalink)
                              Now folks, don't tell me you have never heard of chopped steak! I've seen that on menus from Morton's and Peter Luger's to Bob Evans and Ponderosa. It's just a fancy hamburger served with au jus (or Peter Luger sauce - YUM!).

If you put mushroom gravy on it and serve it with mashed potatoes it's called Salisbury Steak and we've all had that. Yes, I know there's a Swanson TV Dinner version of that but a lot of very good diners and Roadfood type places serve it with pride (as did my mother).

Greyghost, you're right. A couple of years ago I had to go to dinner at one of Toronto's top steakhouses two days after having major dental surgery. Although it was not on the menu, I asked for and received an excellent chopped steak au jus with mashed potatoes and well cooked vegetables. (I bet it still cost the host an arm and a leg though).

As far as canned peas go, it seems to me that the further east you go in Canada, the more ubiquitous they become. I don't see them much here in Ontario but have been served them in homes and restaurants in the Maritimes and Newfoundland.

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3661
                                RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? Sat, 05/17/08 7:33 PM (permalink)
                                I have traveled extensively in Newfoundland and Labrador and I have never encountered canned peas in gravy served over anything. I have stayed in bed and breakfast establishments, boarding houses, and private homes and never saw this so it is not something that is indigenous to that area.

Michael Hoffman

RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? Sat, 05/17/08 8:01 PM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by Trishkaidekaphobia

If you put mushroom gravy on it and serve it with mashed potatoes it's called Salisbury Steak and we've all had that.

Actually, Salisbury Steak (which is named after a British and American doctor named J. H. Salisbury, who recommended that his patients eat plenty of beef for their health) is ground beef mixed with bread, eggs, milk, and seasoning, shaped into patties and fried. Usually it is served with pan gravy, and while it is often served with a mushroom gravy, the gravy is not what makes it a Salisbury steak.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9542
                                    RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? Sat, 05/17/08 9:02 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by djmsalem

Oliver, I think you see hot turkey sandwiches more often than chicken. I'm trying to think why that is...

I think Hot Turkey Sandwiches have their roots in Thanksgiving Leftovers. Since we don't have a holiday where we honor the Chicken, it has no anchor point.
                                    Do some food word association:
                                    Hot Dogs--4th of July, Ball Games
                                    Brats--Picnics, Ball Games
                                    Turkey--Thanksgiving
                                    Ham--Easter
                                    Kielbasi--Easter
                                    Standing Rib Roast--Christmas
                                    Chicken--?????????
                                    Although we eat a lot of chicken, it doesn't have a universal anchor point.
                                    Class Dismissed!

rouxdog

• Total Posts: 1421
                                      RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? Sat, 05/17/08 11:00 PM (permalink)
                                      OliverB, I apologize for Mr. Hoffmans performance. The majority of we Americans here at roadfood welcome and enjoy the international connection. Please hang around here. I live very near the Mexican border, have friends the other side of the rio, we come and go, enjoy our fellowship. We break bread together, excuse me, we break tortillas together.
                                      A good hamburger steak is my favorite..........

tkitna

• Total Posts: 620
                                        RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? Sun, 05/18/08 5:44 AM (permalink)
                                        A half a pound of ground round. Hamburger steak is common im my parts of the woods also. I dont adore it, but its comfort food regardless.

OliverB

RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? Sun, 05/18/08 6:22 AM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by rouxdog

OliverB, I apologize for Mr. Hoffmans performance. The majority of we Americans here at roadfood welcome and enjoy the international connection. Please hang around here. I live very near the Mexican border, have friends the other side of the rio, we come and go, enjoy our fellowship. We break bread together, excuse me, we break tortillas together.
                                          A good hamburger steak is my favorite..........

That's okay rouxdog, everyone's entitled to their tastes and opinions (some are just better than others!)

Thanks for the roadfood welcome, I'm surprised it took me so long to register here! Btw, all this talk of hamburger steak yesterday was too much for me... I went back to Magnan's on St-Patrick last night and ordered just that, with a small side of peppercorn sauce to pour over my mashed potatoes! Mmmm-mmmm! Too bad I didn't have my camera handy to win over Michael!

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6071
                                            RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? Sun, 05/18/08 7:03 AM (permalink)
                                            OliverB....Growing up in the 50's my mom made a similar "salisbury Steak dinner,,,and I still make it. We add beef stock to the drippings,thicken it and add some Gravy Master for color. We serve it with mashed potatoes. The kids love the gravy on the potatoes. Often serve it with peas...I'm going to try adding some peas into the gravy...Sounds good. Nice thread!!!!

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5055
                                              RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? Sun, 05/18/08 8:21 AM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

That sounds really terrible.

LOL. Yes. Dump the peas; saute the onions.

OliverB

RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? Sun, 05/18/08 11:12 AM (permalink)
                                                To clarify, I meant fried onions as in cooked in the frying pan... they are really sauteed.

http://startcooking.com/blog/131/Frying-Onions

What's everyone's objection to peas?? It's the perfect compliment to any meal of potatoes and gravy!

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15059
                                                  • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                                  • Roadfood Insider
                                                  RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? Sun, 05/18/08 11:40 AM (permalink)

Trish's comment on the "Chopped Beef Steak" is worth repeating. Many steakhouses offer a "Chopped" steak on their menu. Usually broiled or open-grilled the same way their "regular" steaks are (but lower in cost.) This is not a meatloaf/Salisbury Steak. The quality of the meat varies greatly between restaurants. The Good ones are indeed, coarse-ground steak. The lower-quality are hamburger, ground to the same consistency as the usual sandwich burger.
                                                  Some are served "smothered" with onions and gravy, but most I have ordered are treated as though they were the normal sirloin steak entree.

I haven't seen the 'peas in the gravy' for years. But , yes, I do recall that form of 'beef gravy' being used at some of the Newberry and Woolworth lunch counters (@ 1950's)

MiamiDon

RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? Sun, 05/18/08 12:09 PM (permalink)
                                                    quote:

That sounds like good, old-fashioned comfort food, OliverB. We often throw a handful of frozen peans into homestyle foods that have savory sauces.

This sounds like what you are writing about:

http://www.canadianliving.com/food/salisbury_steak_with_mushroom_gravy.php

Welcome to Roadfood.com.

OliverB

• Location: Montreal, QC, NY
                                                      RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? Sun, 05/18/08 1:01 PM (permalink)
                                                      Yep, it's one of my favorite comfort meals!

In summary to those unfamiliar, it's basically a cross between a hamburger and meatloaf in concept... yet it's no steak to be sure!

The best diners will serve a large and tender ground beef patty (not the same flattened and dry texture as a regular hamburger) and simmered in brown gravy with large pieces of sauteed onion and mushrooms. As a die hard hamburger aficionado, this is surely the king of all burger meals! Add a side of fluffy white mashed potatoes with ladled peas and if you want to get fancy, even some boiled carrots, sweet parsnips, turnips, zucchini and squash!

Thanks again for the welcome!

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9542
                                                        RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? Sun, 05/18/08 1:50 PM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by MiamiDon

quote:

That sounds like good, old-fashioned comfort food, OliverB. We often throw a handful of frozen peans into homestyle foods that have savory sauces.

This sounds like what you are writing about:

http://www.canadianliving.com/food/salisbury_steak_with_mushroom_gravy.php

Welcome to Roadfood.com.

Guess what's for Dinner?

Trishkaidekaphobia

• Total Posts: 133
                                                          • Location: Kitchener, Ontario, , NY
                                                          RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? Mon, 05/19/08 2:21 PM (permalink)
                                                          quote:
                                                          Originally posted by Greymo

I have traveled extensively in Newfoundland and Labrador and I have never encountered canned peas in gravy served over anything. I have stayed in bed and breakfast establishments, boarding houses, and private homes and never saw this so it is not something that is indigenous to that area.

I agree - I've usually had the canned peas served as a vegetable side dish, not in gravy over something. In addition, a good establishment that wants to stay in business will always cater to their customers' tastes. Kind of like Chinese food in America being geared to the American palate. Few NL locals will stay at a B&B etc.

rebeltruce

• Total Posts: 698
                                                            • Location: Culpeper, VA
                                                            RE: Who Serves The Best Hamburger Steak? Mon, 05/19/08 2:35 PM (permalink)
                                                            Oliver,

I make and enjoy this all the time!!!!

Although I always eat frozen peas rather then canned, I alway mix the whole mess together on my plate before eating.....kind of like a free form Shepards Pie.

I have to agree with Trish and Al...most steak houses or even diners here offer simliar fare so far as serving a chopped steak on the menu!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 59

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com