Who invented the first Cheesesteak Samich?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10407
2007/07/12 15:13:00 (permalink)

Who invented the first Cheesesteak Samich?

Pat's King of Steaks® claims to have originated the Cheesesteak Samich back in 1930. Can anyone dispute that??

36 Replies Related Threads

Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Who invented the first Cheesesteak Samich? 2007/07/12 15:32:39 (permalink)
    I'm sill trying to figure out just what a samich is.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18945
    RE: Who invented the first Cheesesteak Samich? 2007/07/12 15:49:20 (permalink)
    It's an adult version of a sammie, which is a nonsense word used by the queen of EVOO to refer to a sandwich.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Who invented the first Cheesesteak Samich? 2007/07/12 16:11:46 (permalink)
    I hear Sammie, and I instantly think of Sammy Davis Jr. (RIP) and rest of the Rat Pack..

As for the Original Cheesesteak, I have no clue. But probably somewhere here in the archives ('search' at top of the page), it's been covered. Good luck on the answer there!

dannybotz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 357
    RE: Who invented the first Cheesesteak Samich? 2007/07/12 16:11:56 (permalink)
    THANK YOU!!!! SAMICH????????
    HotDogHead
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 665
    RE: Who invented the first Cheesesteak Samich? 2007/07/12 16:29:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

It's an adult version of a sammie, which is a nonsense word used by the queen of EVOO to refer to a sandwich.

High five Michael Hoffman! I hate that word.
    Pigiron
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1384
    RE: Who invented the first Cheesesteak Samich? 2007/07/12 16:53:19 (permalink)
    Mark DeCarlo, host Taste of America on The Travel Channel always says, "sammich". I cringe everytime. That guy REALLY thinks he's cute.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10407
    RE: Who invented the first Cheesesteak Samich? 2007/07/12 16:56:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by HotDogHead

quote:

High five Michael Hoffman! I hate that word.

Any Guy that would call hisself Hot Dog Head, shouldn't get too upset about a little word like Samich, which insidentially is a thing that you use 2 pieces of bread to hold on to some vittals like catfish or BBQ or peanut butter soin's you don't get it all over your hands. It was thunk up by some guy named Earl over in England who is the 13th cousin of Larry,the Cable Guy who will come and put a 55 gal drum of whoop-ass on you if you don't quit makin fun of how he says "samich"
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3756
    RE: Who invented the first Cheesesteak Samich? 2007/07/12 17:46:51 (permalink)
    OK I am posing a question here. Why do intelligen people call a sandwich a sammie or a sammich? or taters for potatoes? veggies for vegetables, maters for tomatoes? EVoo for extra virgin olive oil? cukes for cucumbers? drinkie for drink? OJ for orange juice?

If you had a visitor from a different country in your home, you would realize how difficult it is for people to understand what we are saying. Most of all, it is just another part of the "dumbing down of America."
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6430
    RE: Who invented the first Cheesesteak Samich? 2007/07/12 18:17:45 (permalink)
    Maybe put in simpler terms it is adult baby talk?
    HotDogHead
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 665
    RE: Who invented the first Cheesesteak Samich? 2007/07/12 18:21:07 (permalink)

Any Guy that would call hisself Hot Dog Head, shouldn't get too upset about a little word like Samich, which insidentially is a thing that you use 2 pieces of bread to hold on to some vittals like catfish or BBQ or peanut butter soin's you don't get it all over your hands. It was thunk up by some guy named Earl over in England who is the 13th cousin of Larry,the Cable Guy who will come and put a 55 gal drum of whoop-ass on you if you don't quit makin fun of how he says "samich"

I'm so sorry (insert violin music ) you feel that way but you made yourself wide open.
    Wannabchef
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Who invented the first Cheesesteak Samich? 2007/07/12 18:28:57 (permalink)
    The cheesesteak is a comfort food for natives of the Philadelphia region. It was invented in the city in 1930 and is considered to be a city icon along with other foods such as Tastykakes, water ice, the Philadelphia soft pretzel, hoagies, and scrapple.

jvsmom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 462
    RE: Who invented the first Cheesesteak Samich? 2007/07/12 18:45:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Greymo

OK I am posing a question here. Why do intelligen people call a sandwich a sammie or a sammich? or taters for potatoes? veggies for vegetables, maters for tomatoes? EVoo for extra virgin olive oil? cukes for cucumbers? drinkie for drink? OJ for orange juice?

If you had a visitor from a different country in your home, you would realize how difficult it is for people to understand what we are saying. Most of all, it is just another part of the "dumbing down of America."

Greymo, you took the words right off my keyboard. "Veggies" has been driving me crazy for years, as has "Yummy." I am not 2 years old and don't need to be talked to as if I am. Furthermore, I refuse to speak to someone else as if they are.
    Greyghost
    • Total Posts : 1336
    RE: Who invented the first Cheesesteak Samich? 2007/07/12 18:57:28 (permalink)
    Ben Franklin invented the Philly Cheese Steak sandwich. Known for his inventive nature and frugality
    Franklin was summoned to the English Court by King George III. As a loyal Colonial Franklin complied.
    He was introduced to Lord Sandwich and was introduced to his invention, dried beef on bread. Of course Franklin had expected a grand Royal dinner and knew he was being made fun of as a rustic Colonial.

Ever resourceful, Franklin noted severe weather approaching and offered to repeat his electricity
    experiment with kite and key. Lord Sandwich grabbed some bread, cheese and beef and put all in
    his greatcoat pocket in his usual way. Franklin also inserted his kite key in the same pocket.

Well, the lightning hit, the bread was toasted, the beef simmered and the cheese melted. Thus was
    Philly Cheese Steak invented in England by Ben Franklin.

As someone involved in history, I swear this is a true spurious account of the matter.

The rest of the story: Lord Sandwich did survive Franklin's invention but was rendered hairless for the rest of his life. He also believed he was attacked by a witch and was known to mutter for the rest of his life "some witch, some witch". Over time this was contracted into "samich" . It is a term some rustics use till this day.

For those that still use that annoying and rustic term, here is a history of Lord Sandwich and his invention.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Montagu,_4th_Earl_of_Sandwich
    cecif
    • Total Posts : 1414
    RE: Who invented the first Cheesesteak Samich? 2007/07/12 19:33:00 (permalink)
    Greyghost,
    I too am a historian, and I just gotta say: You Rock!!!!!!

[Ben - Native Son to Boston, Massachusetts and the Greatest Inventor of All Time.]

Thanks for that excellent explanation!
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: Who invented the first Cheesesteak Samich? 2007/07/12 19:43:09 (permalink)
    You could try going to the order guy at Pat's and say, "Yo, my man. Sammich, wit."
    CheeseWit
    • Total Posts : 1394
    RE: Who invented the first Cheesesteak Samich? 2007/07/12 20:03:57 (permalink)
    That explanation of the origins of my beloved sandwich is as good as any. It really doesn't matter who was first. In fact, the family that lays claim to the steak sandwich, the Oliveris, don't agree on the year.

It may have been 1930 for the steak sandwich and it may have been the forties or fifties for the cheesesteak.

Unless you want to sleep with the fishes, never ask for a cheesesteak samich.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Who invented the first Cheesesteak Samich? 2007/07/12 20:27:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CheeseWit

It may have been 1930 for the steak sandwich and it may have been the forties or fifties for the cheesesteak.

Now hold on just for a little bit. I really don't know where the steak sandwich got its start, but I do know that they were making them in New Haven, Connecticut long before the 1930s. In fact, That was what Louis Lassen was serving before he made his first hamburger (He made that hamburger using leftover scraps of his thinly-sliced steak.) -- and Louis Lunch still makes them today. In Connecticut, anyway, the standard meat for a steak sandwich is really eye of the round sliced paper thin, cooked on a flat griddle and served on toast.
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Who invented the first Cheesesteak Samich? 2007/07/13 05:26:51 (permalink)
    And all this time I thought Gary In. was the first. Chow Jim
    eatingteam
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 186
    RE: Who invented the first Cheesesteak Samich? 2007/07/13 07:26:55 (permalink)
    As far as who invented it is really a non answerable question because peolpe have always used meat and bread together. Like the Anchor Bar claiming to be the inventor of chicken wings. DO you really think they were the first ones ever to apply sometype of BBQ or Hot Sauce to Chicken? Probably not BUT they did drive it to the masses in such a popular way that it caused a chain reaction. As far as who propelled the cheesesteak to the popularity that it has grown to today. That would have to go to Pat's and Geno's on the corner of 9th / Passyunk/ Wharton.

WIthout these two competing steak shops I am not sure we would have our lovely ever blossoming cheesteak in our culture the way we do.

By the way even though they are the ones who made it popular Cosmi's still has the best steak in the city. Order it on the Sarcone roll with double american and onions.

Tony
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Who invented the first Cheesesteak Samich? 2007/07/13 07:52:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jimeats

And all this time I thought Gary In. was the first. Chow Jim

Oh don't even go there...
    CheeseWit
    • Total Posts : 1394
    RE: Who invented the first Cheesesteak Samich? 2007/07/13 08:03:56 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by CheeseWit

Now hold on just for a little bit. I really don't know where the steak sandwich got its start, but I do know that they were making them in New Haven, Connecticut long before the 1930s. In fact, That was what Louis Lassen was serving before he made his first hamburger (He made that hamburger using leftover scraps of his thinly-sliced steak.) -- and Louis Lunch still makes them today. In Connecticut, anyway, the standard meat for a steak sandwich is really eye of the round sliced paper thin, cooked on a flat griddle and served on toast.

Michael,
    The operative word is "may". Who really knows the inventor of the steak sandwich or where that occurred?
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Who invented the first Cheesesteak Samich? 2007/07/13 08:33:12 (permalink)
    quote:

It isn't just America. Britain has brekkie (breakfast), ciggy (cigarette), offy (off-license, what we call a liquor store), baccy (tobacco)/

I'm so sick of "veggies" I sometimes won't enter a restaurant if I know they use that term on the menu. I can't stand contrived cutesy. Or the hokey-pokey in chicken restaurants.
    rongmtek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    RE: Who invented the first Cheesesteak Samich? 2007/07/13 09:43:39 (permalink)
    Include me in the ranks of those who prefer adult language; I find the "cute" terms annoying.
    As for the Brits, well, they have infantilized an entire culture in some ways. Hence the penchant for spanking games, eh wot?
    Another off-putting Britishism I've heard many times is the term "butty" for sandwich, as in, "I'll have a jam butty for tea, luv".
    What's wrong with speaking correctly in the hopes of being understood? The affectations (and some of you will be unhappy with this, but I have to include "y'all" as a prime example) always seem to me to be an attempt at "self-ghetto-ization". And I'm sure that's not a real word, so excuuuuuse me.
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Who invented the first Cheesesteak Samich? 2007/07/13 10:02:20 (permalink)
    Anyone who's a fan of the British comedy "Keeping Up Appearances" will be familar with Onslow's favorite meal, "a bacon butty and a packet of smoky bacon crisps".
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Who invented the first Cheesesteak Samich? 2007/07/18 15:59:15 (permalink)
    samich is a regonial dilect mostly heard in the south philly area and its surroundings, as in ..ey yous guyz wanna samich
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Who invented the first Cheesesteak Samich? 2007/07/18 16:59:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by dreamzpainter

samich is a regonial dilect mostly heard in the south philly area and its surroundings, as in ..ey yous guyz wanna samich

Gee, that sounds an awful lot like sangwich, common among certain people where I come from.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Who invented the first Cheesesteak Samich? 2007/07/18 17:00:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CheeseWit[br

Michael,
    The operative word is 'may'. Who really knows the inventor of the steak sandwich or where that occurred?

I know, but I wanted to point that out about the sandwiches at Louis Lunch. And believe me, I have no idea who came up with what I know of as a steak sandwich.
    desertdog
    • Total Posts : 1946
    RE: Who invented the first Cheesesteak Samich? 2007/07/18 17:27:31 (permalink)
    quote:

Does this include saying Philly instead of Philadephia ?

Now if ya'll excuse me I'm going to go make myself a Sammy with beely butta and a nanner and some veggies that may or may not include taters, maters, cukes, oyoin...and wash it all down wit a bit of sody pop!

rjb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 451
    RE: Who invented the first Cheesesteak Samich? 2007/07/18 17:42:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Foodbme

Pat's King of Steaks® claims to have originated the Cheesesteak Samich back in 1930. Can anyone dispute that??

I suspect that whoever invented it didn't use infantile language like "sammie" or "samich." Yeesh
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1