Who remembers Wimpy's Hamburger places?

Author
mjsneddon
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 230
2009/05/28 20:36:07 (permalink)

Who remembers Wimpy's Hamburger places?

Growing up in the 1950s and 60s, I would stay with my grandparents sometimes for a week or so in Chicago.  My grandfather took me to a Wimpy's hamburger joint - after he had built them up in my mind as being the world's best hamburgers.  I remember liking them a whole bunch - but that may have been due to my grandfather's hype.

Many years later, as a young adult (probably in the mid 70s, I stopped at a Wimpy's in Chicago and it looked nothing like the place I remembered as a child - and the burgers were also not much.  I wish I had never gone into the place as it ruined a childhood memory for me.

Does anyone remember Wimpy's?  Where were they headquartered?  When did they disappear?

Thanks.

Mike

9 Replies Related Threads

tfrielin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 442
    Re:Who remembers Wimpy's Hamburger places? 2009/05/29 09:07:13 (permalink)
    I believe back the there was a Wimpy's hamburger chain, but it was in England. Wasn't aware there were any in the US. Or if this Chicago one was related to the UK chain.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:Who remembers Wimpy's Hamburger places? 2009/05/29 09:29:20 (permalink)
    Yes, I've eaten at a Wimpy's too in downtown Chicago in the 1960's. Can't remember exactly where but I think it was near City Hall, I used to do a lot of business there and take the train in from the far northwest.
    sk bob
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1801
    Re:Who remembers Wimpy's Hamburger places? 2009/06/08 16:51:28 (permalink)
    I remember eating at Wimpys  in London England back in 1969-70
    rumaki
    • Total Posts : 1078
    Re:Who remembers Wimpy's Hamburger places? 2009/06/08 17:06:11 (permalink)
    I, too, ate at a Wimpy's in London in the summer of 1976.  I remember it specifically because I was studying in a summer law program at the University of Exeter at the time, and had gone to London for a long weekend to attend some trials at the Royal Courts of Justice.

My companion and I just had "drinks."  I ordered a "float" of some kind -- think it was a "Coke float" -- that was a small glass of semi-flat Coke with a minuscule cube of vanilla ice cream dropped into it.  My companion ordered "the same," but the waitress misunderstood her and brought her a "snowball" -- which, as I recall, was a scoop of vanilla ice cream with some coconut sprinkled on top, with some raspberry-type syrup.

My recollection was that what we had wasn't very good, and the place wasn't very clean.  But in those days, in London, it was hard to find anywhere to get just a soft drink outside of regular mealtimes, and the pubs were closed for big chunks of the afternoon.
    sk bob
    • Total Posts : 1801
    Re:Who remembers Wimpy's Hamburger places? 2009/06/08 17:50:32 (permalink)
    aah, 1976, just graduated high school & I do mean HIGH.
    I remember another thing, the french fries tasted great. I asked what they were fried in. they used sunflower oil.
    Billdog14
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re:Who remembers Wimpy's Hamburger places? 2009/06/13 17:47:06 (permalink)

Yes, I remember going to Kentucky in the early '60's. There was one in southner Indiana & my Dad would stop at it (I think along US31). When Interstate 65 was built we stopped to go there but it had closed. Thinking about this it might have been US 52 & the Interstate was 74 in southeast Indiana.
    post edited by Billdog14 - 2009/06/13 17:50:01
    jonjax71
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 438
    Re:Who remembers Wimpy's Hamburger places? 2009/06/13 19:19:50 (permalink)
    I never encountered nor heard of Wimpy's Hamburgers however that is a perfect name for a burger joint or chain and I am surprised no one else has capitalized on the world's most famous hamburger consumer, Jay Wellington Wimpy, perhaps it is because of his just about equally famous motto, "I'll glady pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today"   Then again there's Popeye's chicken which doesn't use any images of the world's most famous sailor nor do they serve his preferred food.

"Some folks eat to live, others love to eat"
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:Who remembers Wimpy's Hamburger places? 2009/06/13 20:42:57 (permalink)
    Boy, does this thread bring back memories! One of my first full time jobs after I graduated high school ( 1970 ) was working as a stock clerk at the "Store for Men" annex of the Marshall Field's department store in Chicago's Loop. The annex was at Washington and Wabash Streets, next to the Loop "L", and also next door to one of the several Wimpy's Hamburgers locations downtown; they were basically coffee shops that specialized in truly delicious burgers ( great chocolate malts too. ) One of my many duties was to run downstairs and bring back a burger and coffee for my boss on an almost daily basis. The man was one of the biggest jerks that I've ever known, but he did have good taste in hamburgers! I think that Wimpy's went out of business in the mid '70s, and I've heard that it was because the owner died, and his will stipulated that the business be liquidated and all employees fired, even though the chain was still profitable. A real nice guy.
    offlady
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 343
    Re:Who remembers Wimpy's Hamburger places? 2009/06/19 05:21:55 (permalink)
    I remember there was a Wimpy's that sold hamburgers back in the 60's, on Maui.  I was too little to remember anything else about it.  The only reason I remember the name is because of the connection to the cartoon character. 
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1