Who serves the best steak tartare?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
tigerborn
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
2006/07/14 21:20:29 (permalink)

Who serves the best steak tartare?

I think Chops in Atlanta, GA serves a decent version. Anybody else have any good recommendations?

58 Replies Related Threads

Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3710
    RE: Who serves the best steak tartare? 2006/07/14 21:25:41 (permalink)
    Originally posted by tigerborn

I think Chops in Atlanta, GA serves a decent version. Anybody else have any good recommendations?
    [/quote

Bern Steak House............Tampa, Florida. Just wonderful!
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Who serves the best steak tartare? 2006/07/14 21:54:43 (permalink)
    I wonder if one could even find a steak tartar in New York state- places that used to serve it around here have long ago given it up, and I miss it.

Cheers, John
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18269
    RE: Who serves the best steak tartare? 2006/07/14 21:55:00 (permalink)
    I serve the best steak tartare.
    kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 825
    RE: Who serves the best steak tartare? 2006/07/15 11:59:08 (permalink)
    I'd vote for Zum Stammtisch in Glendale, Queens, New York. They serve it as an appetizer or entree. That's in New York John.

http://zumstammtisch.com/
    sizz
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1685
    RE: Who serves the best steak tartare? 2006/07/15 12:31:42 (permalink)
    .....iffin you all like this stuff you ought to invite Khubilai Khan to invaded your town .
    Also if you cant get a restaurant to cook your hamburger rare how the hell are you going to have them serve it raw?? and why would you? I'm with Mikey Hoff I'll have it fresh at home along with a raw quail egg.

.....from one of my earlier posts. "1238 - When Genghis Khan's grandson, Khubilai Khan (1215-1294), invaded Moscow, they naturally brought their unique dietary ground meat with them. The Russians adopted it into their own cuisine with the name "Steak Tartare," (Tartars being their name for the Mongols)"
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Who serves the best steak tartare? 2006/07/16 03:16:17 (permalink)
    I make my poor mans version.
    Raw ground sirloin, with garlic pepper on top of a saltine.
    Dad and I used to eat them standing up in the kitchen......
    (Oh, dont give me any of that eating raw meat stuff either)
    I like it!
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Who serves the best steak tartare? 2006/07/16 13:06:23 (permalink)
    OK Kozel, I'll have to grudgingly admit that Queens is indeed a part of New York state, and I'm glad to learn that steak tartare has apparently not been outlawed in our state.

Cheers, John
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3143
    RE: Who serves the best steak tartare? 2006/07/16 14:00:45 (permalink)
    Sirloin chopped in my Cuisinart, added to a cold buttered slice of a crusty rye bread topped with a generous amount of salt and pepper and finely chopped raw onion. Second best was at an Ethiopian restaurant in Toronto; mixed with tiny cubes of cold butter, it was sublime.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Who serves the best steak tartare? 2006/07/16 14:07:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fpczyz

.....iffin you all like this stuff you ought to invite Khubilai Khan to invaded your town .
    Also if you cant get a restaurant to cook your hamburger rare how the hell are you going to have them serve it raw?? and why would you? I'm with Mikey Hoff I'll have it fresh at home along with a raw quail egg.

I would appreciate it if you not again refer to me by that disgusting diminutive. It is not my name, and I am not, to say the least, fond of it.
    Donna Douglass
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 508
    RE: Who serves the best steak tartare? 2006/07/16 15:27:46 (permalink)
    Good for you, Michael, expecting to be referred to by your full name. One of my pet peeves is using "nicknames" for people when they have perfectly good and lovely names given to them at birth.

By the same token, I abhor raw flesh in any form served, whether animal, fish or fowl. If I wanted raw meat, I'd go out in the meadow and bite a cow. I simply do not understand ingesting raw or rare, bloody food.

But to each his own, I guess. I prefer for my sons to be called by their right names, and my meat to be cooked!!!!

Donna
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Who serves the best steak tartare? 2006/07/17 13:31:57 (permalink)
    I love raw food. Steak tartare, sashimi, even enjoy raw horse meat when in Japan.

My first name is Michael also. Only one person calles me Mikie, I've known him for over thirty years, he was in my wedding and I simply call him Stevie instead of Stephen.
    Pigiron
    • Total Posts : 1384
    RE: Who serves the best steak tartare? 2006/07/17 13:56:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by seafarer john

I wonder if one could even find a steak tartar in New York state- places that used to serve it around here have long ago given it up, and I miss it.

You're not looking hard enough. The 21 Club has always had Steak Tartare, prepared tableside, served with great seeded crackers.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13477
    RE: Who serves the best steak tartare? 2006/07/17 15:41:38 (permalink)
    Three folks on this thread needs to stop it now. Some have already had it discussed that their rhetoric is not necessary. Please stop it now.

Sincerely
    Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, Tn
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Who serves the best steak tartare? 2006/07/17 16:07:58 (permalink)
    My dad used to make Steak Tartare. I loved it! It seamed like there was egg mixed in? Hmmm, what do yall put in it?
    Joe
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2413
    RE: Who serves the best steak tartare? 2006/07/17 16:12:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by PapaJoe8

My dad used to make Steak Tartare. I loved it! It seamed like there was egg mixed in? Hmmm, what do yall put in it?
    Joe

I'd like Mr. Hoffman's recipe. I googled it and the recipes I saw called for egg. I had a Julia Child recipe once but have no idea where it is!
    doggydaddy
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: Who serves the best steak tartare? 2006/07/17 16:49:36 (permalink)

===As for steak tartare, I've always wanted to try it. I've had beef carpaccio and LOVE it!====

My mom would give me fresh hamburger with salt and pepper on it. It was a childhood treat that I have forgotten about. I suspect that the best and safest way to have steak tartare is to buy some lean beef from a good grocery and grind it yourself. I have my granny's old stainless steel grinder and if I had the wither-all I could make it or use the sausage tube and make some home made Italian sausage. I would put fennel seed in my sausage, but that was another topic elsewhere. My grocery does have hog casings, so it may be worth trying.

I love carpaccio too. It is too hard to duplicate at home unless you have a meat slicer. I love it with cracked pepper, capers and sliced (not grated) hard Italian cheese.

mark
    albinoni
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 149
    RE: Who serves the best steak tartare? 2006/07/18 11:47:43 (permalink)
    In the Mr. Bean series starring Rowan Atkinson (a Britcom shown from time to time on PBS stations, also available on DVD), there is a priceless episode where Mr. Bean goes into a fancy restaurant and orders steak tartare, thinking he is ordering steak. When it arrives, he is mortified, and spends the rest of the episode trying to dispose of it in every nearby receptacle, one spoonful at a time, so that the waiter will think he ate it. It is funny beyond words.

Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2413
    RE: Who serves the best steak tartare? 2006/07/18 12:03:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by doggydaddy

===As for steak tartare, I've always wanted to try it. I've had beef carpaccio and LOVE it!====

My mom would give me fresh hamburger with salt and pepper on it. It was a childhood treat that I have forgotten about. I suspect that the best and safest way to have steak tartare is to buy some lean beef from a good grocery and grind it yourself. I have my granny's old stainless steel grinder and if I had the wither-all I could make it or use the sausage tube and make some home made Italian sausage. I would put fennel seed in my sausage, but that was another topic elsewhere. My grocery does have hog casings, so it may be worth trying.

I love carpaccio too. It is too hard to duplicate at home unless you have a meat slicer. I love it with cracked pepper, capers and sliced (not grated) hard Italian cheese.

mark

I still eat raw hamburger, fresh, not after it's been frozen though. A french neighbor got me hooked when I was about 4 I guess. If my 10 and 16 year old see fresh hamburger they'll kinda spy on me to see when I open the package..they like it too. I can never successfully sneak without them busting me.
    rjb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 451
    RE: Who serves the best steak tartare? 2006/07/18 12:04:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rusty246

quote:

Joe

I'd like Mr. Hoffman's recipe. I googled it and the recipes I saw called for egg. I had a Julia Child recipe once but have no idea where it is!

Lean sirloin, rib eye or tenderloin chopped fine by hand or in a Cuisinart. If you use the machine, ba careful you don't turn it to mush. Goes without saying I hope that everything has to be spotless and kept cold. I personally like a bit of texture so I do the chopping by hand.

Seasoning is shallot, a bit of garlic (rub the bowl with a clove) salt & black pepper, parsely, capers, olive oil, Worcestershire, dash of Tabasco, squeeze of lemon and an egg yolk to hold it all together. Everything needs to be chopped very fine. If you make it more than a few minutes ahead of serving, hold off on the Tabasco & lemon and egg until the last minute or the acids "cook" the meat & turn it grayish.

The Four Seasons in NY used to make a great one & served it as a bar snack.

NB: The same basic ingredients with a bit of extra lemon work well for tuna tartare.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Who serves the best steak tartare? 2006/07/18 12:25:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rusty246

quote:

Joe

Here's mine:

Steak Tartare

2 anchovy fillets
    2 cloves of crushed garlic
    1 teaspoon capers
    1 egg
    1 Tbls grainy mustard (Pommery is good)
    salt
    freshly ground black pepper
    2 Tbls Pickapeppa sauce
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1 pound strip steak finely chopped (remove fat)
    1 medium shallot, finely-chopped
    chopped egg white
    chopped egg yolk
    1 small red onion finely-chopped

Crush the anchovies and garlic together in a mixing bowl to make a paste. Add the egg and mustard and whisk. Add salt, pepper and Pickapeppa sauce,then whisk in the oil.

Combine the beef, shallots, salt and pepper in a chilled mixing bowl, and add the contents of the other mixing bowl to the meat and mix it. Form the meat mixture into two patties (actually, you want them to be round, and flat on the top and bottom) and put each one on a cold plate. Place the egg whites, egg yolks and onions on each plate (if you have them you could also add some chopped cornichons) as a garnish and serve with toast points (or, if you prefer, slices of buttered pumpernickel bread).
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13477
    RE: Who serves the best steak tartare? 2006/07/18 12:33:33 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman: That is sort of a complicated recipe but I am sure that it is very good.

I hve only done the steak tartare once and that was in Europe. I do not mind saying that when I ordered, I did not know exactly what I was getting. I could not finish this fine dish. I think it was a thing in my mind about raw meat. I have to admit the flavor was good but I could not get over the thought of raw flesh.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    V960
    RE: Who serves the best steak tartare? 2006/07/18 17:12:35 (permalink)
    I must humbly disagree w/ Mr. Hoffman's recipe. Tartare is best when it is very very simple. I find sirloin to have a very good taste and since it is going to be minced (two Chinese cleavers seem to work very well for me) toughness is not an issue.

I add nothing but sea salt to the meat. Raw egg in a depression of the meat, capers and toast on the side. Some chopped hard boiled eggs if I'm of a mind to do so.

Names...three come to mind that have problems w/ nicknames (remember Paul you took great offense at me calling you Sundanger and that is only your handle)

Richard...gets called Dick...Thanks Mom and Dad for not putting me through that one.

Steven or Stephan...gets called Steve...most go along and live w/ it in a quiet mad.

Michael...gets Mike or Mikie (he'll eat it as the commercial said). Michael is a biblical name, Mike is not. I will correct anyone who calls me Mike that my name is Michael. You want to call it pretentious so be it.

Always enjoyed the movie w/ John Travolta as the angel named Michael. Loved the scene where he danced w/ all the women in the bar in a modified line dance. See what being named Micheal can get you?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Who serves the best steak tartare? 2006/07/18 17:32:05 (permalink)
    You are certainly welcome to disagree with me. You're wrong,of course, but feel free to disagree.

Now, if I want to go the egg-on-top route, and I didn't bother mentioning it because I didn't want to give anyone a hard time, I use a quail egg. By the way, I sometimes use a double mezzaluna to final-mince the steak.

When it comes to names I always begin by calling everyone whose name is Michael, Michael. If they prefer Mike, I'll use it. Mikey? Never.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15185
    RE: Who serves the best steak tartare? 2006/07/19 22:34:14 (permalink)
    Several Posts were deleted as they contributed nothing to the Topic of the thread.

Eat it Raw ! (The Thread Topic!!)
    V960
    RE: Who serves the best steak tartare? 2006/07/20 13:10:44 (permalink)
    Had something a little different last night. I used sashimi grade tuna to make tuna tartare. very good.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15185
    RE: Who serves the best steak tartare? 2006/07/20 14:39:10 (permalink)
    V960
    I second your menu item. I have enjoyed both Beef and Tuna and find them both Outstanding!
    Willly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 396
    RE: Who serves the best steak tartare? 2006/07/20 14:46:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by V960

Had something a little different last night. I used sashimi grade tuna to make tuna tartare. very good.

I cube the tuna in TINY cubes, and add a little soy sauce, chopped scallions, wasabi, a little yuzu juice, and a quail egg yolk. Sometimes I'll add a little shiso chiffonade...
    Cakes
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    RE: Who serves the best steak tartare? 2006/07/20 15:14:46 (permalink)
    The BEST? THE BEST?

I can tell you the best steak tartare I have ever been served because it was the only time I have been served steak tartare! It was on my aunt and uncles sail boat on Lake Minnetonka Minnesota and I guarantee that it is THE BEST I have ever been served.

Actually I liked it but just have never had the chance to try it again. If I do I will then know THE BEST and THE SECOND BEST steak tartare I have EVER been served.

Sarcasm fully indended.

Cakes

Cakes
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    RE: Who serves the best steak tartare? 2006/07/20 15:40:33 (permalink)
    30 years ago, we lived in Wisconsin, just north of Milwaukee. Common pub grub at the time was bratwursts, burgers (nice thick greasy burgers), and such.

A lot of the places served raw ground beef sandwiches. They didn't call it steak tartare, these were blue collar places. Then the YOU CAN'T EAT THAT POLICE came along and you didn't see it on the menu anymore.

I never tried one. I was a pretty conservative eater back then.

Cakes

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1