The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Who wants to make boudin (boo-dahn)?

cajun

• Total Posts: 25
Who wants to make boudin (boo-dahn)? Sat, 12/13/03 4:14 PM (permalink)
Boudin (boo-dahn)
3 lb. lean pork
2 lb. mixed pork parts (kidney, heart, Liver, etc.)
3 med. onions (chopped)
2 cups green onions (chopped)
1 cup parsley (chopped)
2 lb. Med. grain rice (cooked)
salt, red, and black pepper
jalapeno (Optional)
sausage casing

Boil meat, onions, until meat is tender. Save the broth for later. Debone the meat and grind mixture not to fine. Mix well, add seasoning to taste, and add cooked cool rice, chopped green onions, and parsley. Start adding broth about a quart and mix until moist but not watery, add chopped, jalapeno if desired. Start stuffing into casing and twist about every 12 in. to make links. Put links in a pot or rice cooker/steamer, cover with water and cook on low heat for about 20 minutes. Take out let rest for a few minutes, Eat and enjoy and get ready to make more.

drchanterelle

• Total Posts: 95
    RE: Who wants to make boudin (boo-dahn)? Sat, 12/13/03 9:01 PM (permalink)
    Thanks Cajun! Since the usual challenge in these kinds of sausage is the casing, how awful would it be to make these into patties, and fry them? Is it just not a good way to do them, or a matter of bruising sensibilities? It's just difficult for me to get casings.

I don't know if Mayhaw Man, our resident Cajun contributor, is still active - he was going to supply us with a recipe for the stuffing used to make Cajun Stuffed Boneless Chicken, but he never did. Do you have that one handy?

TIA, John

cajun

RE: Who wants to make boudin (boo-dahn)? Sun, 12/14/03 7:28 AM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by drchanterelle

Thanks Cajun! Since the usual challenge in these kinds of sausage is the casing, how awful would it be to make these into patties, and fry them? Is it just not a good way to do them, or a matter of bruising sensibilities? It's just difficult for me to get casings.

I don't know if Mayhaw Man, our resident Cajun contributor, is still active - he was going to supply us with a recipe for the stuffing used to make Cajun Stuffed Boneless Chicken, but he never did. Do you have that one handy?

TIA, John
      Yes, you can make patties with the boudin mix, pan fry them up and then you have boudin burgers. Or you can roll them up in corn meal and deep fry them and you have boudin balls. Most butchers have a lot of casing in stock and will sell you some. If its packed in brine you need to wash it real well first. Now what kind of stuffing do you prefer, we use cornbread dressing, seafood,and porkmeat, in a boneless chicken. If you are interested there is a place here that ships stuffed chicken around the country. Let me know which stuffing you want the recipe for and I will send it to you.Cajun

drchanterelle

RE: Who wants to make boudin (boo-dahn)? Sun, 12/14/03 8:16 AM (permalink)
        We were in LA in Oct this year and brought back as much as we could, including boudin. When it comes time to sample that, I'll make up some of your recipe too, and we'll see how it compares.

The stuffing I'm most interested in for Stuffed Chicken is a seafood one. Just yesterday, I saw Emeril do a boneless half chicken (on CNN) but he pan fried it and served it over an oyster stuffing which he baked separately. That stuffing was very similar to the kind used to stuff Turkey at Thanksgiving, but with a Cajun tone. I suspect that was just a variation on Cajun Stuffed Boneless Chicken. Yes?
        John, (in rain soaked SW Oregon)

cajun

RE: Who wants to make boudin (boo-dahn)? Tue, 12/16/03 7:34 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by drchanterelle

We were in LA in Oct this year and brought back as much as we could, including boudin. When it comes time to sample that, I'll make up some of your recipe too, and we'll see how it compares.

The stuffing I'm most interested in for Stuffed Chicken is a seafood one. Just yesterday, I saw Emeril do a boneless half chicken (on CNN) but he pan fried it and served it over an oyster stuffing which he baked separately. That stuffing was very similar to the kind used to stuff Turkey at Thanksgiving, but with a Cajun tone. I suspect that was just a variation on Cajun Stuffed Boneless Chicken. Yes?
          John, (in rain soaked SW Oregon)
          Sorry It took me so long to reply to you, Been busy trying to get ready for Xmas, and vacation time and all that. The best way to do a shrimp or seafood stuffed is to make a Jambalaya first. Here we go.

1 cup raw rice
          1 large onion
          1 bell pepper
          2 or 3 pods of garlic
          1 lb. cleaned shrimp/crabmeat/crawfish/ etc.
          1 can whole tomatoes
          1 cup water
          1/4 cup cooking oil

Brown onions and bell pepper and garlic in oil. Add seafood and simmer on low for 10 minutes
          Add tomatoes, water, rice. Season with salt, pepper to taste.
          Bring to a boil, cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. When rice is done, set aside and let cool. Once cool, stuff the cleaned chicken, and bake in (Cajun Microwave Oven) or in a regular oven for 2 to 2 1/2 hours at 325 to 350 deg.

drchanterelle

RE: Who wants to make boudin (boo-dahn)? Wed, 12/17/03 7:39 AM (permalink)
            Thanks Cajun - I'll give it a try. jm

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com