Who's the expert?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
RubyRose
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2189
2003/07/10 22:17:55 (permalink)

Who's the expert?

I am constantly amazed at the roadfood knowledge exhibited by the posters here so I was thinking, "There must be an expert consultant for any food topic we could come up with." What's your area(s) of expertise where you are a real standout? And what's an area that you're not an expert but know a whole lot about? Maybe we will be surprised.

37 Replies Related Threads

Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Who's the expert? 2003/07/10 22:26:45 (permalink)
    I'm a Legend in my own mind.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15208
    RE: Who's the expert? 2003/07/10 23:28:49 (permalink)
    There are two types of teachers in the world....Those who are experts in their field, with all the knowledge and learning one can receive in a subject. Unfortunately many of those experts cannot share their knowledge because they lack the ability to communicate their thoughts and information to others.
    Then there are those who are knowledgable, but perhaps not experts in a subject, but they are recognized as teachers because they have the ability to share what knowledge they have with others.
    The second group has endless curiosity and a wanderlust for a variety of subjects that make life interesting.
    I am not expert in any area...but I have the habits of the second group when it comes to seeking out experiences in a variety of areas. That's why I enjoy exchanging thoughts with so many of you. We share a common interest, even though we have very different backgrounds.
    So Put me down as NOT an EXPERT...but someone who has a rather wide field of interest.
    And Bushie is a Legend...and I say that not because he agreed to foot the bill for our forthcoming meeting at the Moonlite BBQ on the 23rd..I have chartered a bus to bring the kids(10) and grandkids(18) to share in his hospitality! Yep, He is a legend !!
    kangolpimp
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 119
    RE: Who's the expert? 2003/07/11 00:36:05 (permalink)
    I am an expert in pairing cuisine with the proper flavor of Koolaid. For example, when you are serving cocktail meatballs in grape jelly sauce, you definitely want lime Koolaid.

Sorry, RubyRose, I didn't mean to disrespect your thoughtful topic, but before I toot my own horn, I felt I had to demonstrate what an ignoramus I can be

Though I am far from an expert in either of these areas, I could probably answer most folks' questions about chile peppers and Indian food, both of which I am passionate about.

Since turnabout is fair play, what culinary knowledge might we glean from you, RubyRose?
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2880
    RE: Who's the expert? 2003/07/11 00:46:50 (permalink)
    I know just a little bit about almost everything, making me a very dangerous person indeed.

My areas of cooking interest are: Mexican, Jewish, Italian and Soul food. I leave Thai and Indian to the experts, but eat it frequently. I have also been baking since I could pour flour in a bowl. My family is from Canada, with French-Canadian, Cree, and Scottish backgrounds so I know a bit about those areas.
    yumbo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 330
    RE: Who's the expert? 2003/07/11 02:44:00 (permalink)
    I'm an expert at making foods that my finicky 4 year old kid will eat. Her vegetable palate is limited to 2 items: lima beans and carrots. I've learned to fashion them into bunnies, flowers, fish and cats.

As for cuisines, I like to think that I can hold my own with Chinese, sushi and the usual "American" foods. I also bake a mean baguette.
    VibrationGuy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 229
    RE: Who's the expert? 2003/07/11 03:55:25 (permalink)
    I'm obsessed with the science of food - why things happen the way they do. I'd claim expertise in browning reactions, fats and protein systems. I can tell you why some places have terrible fries on some days of the week but not others, I can tell you where to find the best whipping cream in the western US, and I can tell you why you need to deep fry bacon.

Eric
    Michael Stern
    • Total Posts : 1029
    RE: Who's the expert? 2003/07/11 05:01:54 (permalink)
    I am an expert in knowing when a piece of fruit is at the precise point of ripeness to please this bec fin:

CheeseWit
    • Total Posts : 1393
    RE: Who's the expert? 2003/07/11 05:54:57 (permalink)
    Michael, your humor always makes me laugh. My area of expertise seems to be in gaining weight. I once thought I knew a little about a lot of things, but after trying out for Jeopardy! and not making the cut, I've become more humble.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Who's the expert? 2003/07/11 09:18:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CheeseWit

... My area of expertise seems to be in gaining weight...

CW, I have that same talent!

quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

... The second group has endless curiosity and a wanderlust for a variety of subjects that make life interesting.
    I am not expert in any area...but I have the habits of the second group when it comes to seeking out experiences in a variety of areas. That's why I enjoy exchanging thoughts with so many of you. We share a common interest, even though we have very different backgrounds.
    So Put me down as NOT an EXPERT...but someone who has a rather wide field of interest.

Excellent analysis, Mr. Mayor. Ditto.

quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

...and I say that not because he agreed to foot the bill for our forthcoming meeting at the Moonlite BBQ on the 23rd..I have chartered a bus to bring the kids(10) and grandkids(18) to share in his hospitality!

...and what Mr. Mayor doesn't yet know is that we're only having dinner salads with free soda crackers and water.

quote:
    Originally posted by VibrationGuy

...and I can tell you why you need to deep fry bacon.

Ok, Eric, why DO we need to deep-fry bacon?
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: Who's the expert? 2003/07/11 09:20:16 (permalink)
    I am in training to become a fair exhibit judge. I am already certified in judging Baked Goods, and am working to certifications in Canning/Food Preservation, Candy-Making, and Food Crops. I will be judging in my first fair this August.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Who's the expert? 2003/07/11 09:51:54 (permalink)
    ElsieT, how interesting..my family is from Canada and I am of French Canadian and Cree heritage too! Small world. I, like others have mentioned, know a little bit about alot and enough to be dangerous in many things! Food wise, my interests are all over, I enjoy cooking, learning about and eating all ethnic foods. Say, is there a Cree cookbook out there I know, roast deer over fire.
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Who's the expert? 2003/07/11 10:01:42 (permalink)
    I am an expert in creating a meal in 30-45 minutes after a hard day at work, every day and in quantaties to feed 3 athletic teenagers and spouse ( he does most of the weekend cooking. Too slow). (WHEN is it going to be ready mom?)....I must have my refreshing adult beverage first though.

I'm with Bushie....WHY do we need to deep fry bacon? What happens to the fat in that method as opposed to skillet frying?
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4608
    RE: Who's the expert? 2003/07/11 13:34:00 (permalink)
    I'm with the mayor on this one. That's why these are the most fun forums. They combine my interests in culture, geography, and food into someplace I learn something from everyday. The insights gleaned here tend towards life experiences rather than expertise. That's the way I like it.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Who's the expert? 2003/07/11 14:19:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by kland01s

ElsieT, how interesting..my family is from Canada and I am of French Canadian and Cree heritage too! Small world. I, like others have mentioned, know a little bit about alot and enough to be dangerous in many things! Food wise, my interests are all over, I enjoy cooking, learning about and eating all ethnic foods. Say, is there a Cree cookbook out there I know, roast deer over fire.

My mom's dad was Cree (Metis), and since the women did all the cooking in those days, we don't really have much Cree influence in our family recipes. The main thing my mom seems to have retained is a version of fry bread made with leavened bread dough. Here in Southern California, we have "Navajo Fry Bread" which is made with a baking powder based dough, which is very different. We then top it with the very English Lyle's Golden Syrup (drool).
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Who's the expert? 2003/07/11 14:42:38 (permalink)
    I am metis on my dad's side, my grandfather metis and my grandmother Cree but she never cooked! They came to Chicago in the early 1920's to blend into "white" life. I only became interested in Native American foods later in life by going to pow wows and my many visits to Santa Fe where I have gone to Pueblo feasts. I love fry bread and but my best memory was at the Santa Clara Pueble and being invited to the Naranjo family home and eating a posole out of a gourd. mmmmmmmmmmmm
    BigGlenn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 461
    RE: Who's the expert? 2003/07/11 15:57:08 (permalink)
    My area of expertise seems to be in finding wonderful web sites like this one! Second is Eating! I have that down to an infinite science!
    VibrationGuy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 229
    RE: Who's the expert? 2003/07/11 17:34:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie
    quote:

Thermodynamics, the last refuge of scoundrels. (Actually, thermodynamics is cool because there's all these great fudge factors - if you're looking to leave a legacy in the sciences, but you're not all that bright, you could get a constant named after you in relatively short order. Fluid dynamics is pretty good for this, too, but I digress.

Deep-fried bacon has even heat applied to all surfaces - even though bacon is never flat, and always curls - simultaneously, and water is instantly boiled away, so the bacon is crisp as can be, and never greasy (the fat melts into the rest of the fat, which is kept nice and hot). It's just magic. Many better diners deep fry their bacon.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Who's the expert? 2003/07/11 17:45:20 (permalink)
    Thanks, Eric. I'll give it a try.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Who's the expert? 2003/07/11 22:05:22 (permalink)
    This has nothing to do with food, but i hope it will be instructive and perhaps amusing to all out there- especially our Metis members.

In Winnepeg standing in front of the city hall there is a heroic statue of Louis Riel, the great 19th century Metis leader of a revolt against British rule in Canada.
    The sculptor has created an anatomically correct and complete figure of Louis under his wide and flowing cloak. Problem is, persons unknown have made a habit of breaking off and making off with Louis' private parts. All of which keeps the sculptor actively employed in restoring the great Metis hero to his manhood... only in Canada!
    jessicazee
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 132
    RE: Who's the expert? 2003/07/12 00:15:13 (permalink)
    I am an expert on hash brown casseroles. I love them, I eat them, I desire their cheesy, salty goodness and covet the crispy brown outer layers. If I could find one with a job, I would marry it.

I am also a pro salad bar plater. Like, the really old school supper club salad bars. Has to be the right combo of Bac-Os, baby corn, iceberg lettuce, black olives, sunflower seeds, shredded cheddar and French & bleu cheese dressing. Sounds terrible, but is not. It is also beautiful and deserving of ingestion.

I guess I could also say that fish frying is one of my more spiritual talents. I did it at a restaurant for a while, covered in beer batter, getting electrocuted by the deep fryer, while churning out perfectly golden brown cod, perch & walleye every time.

CCJPO
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 520
    RE: Who's the expert? 2003/07/12 00:59:37 (permalink)
    My 17 year old son says that I am an expert in nothing. And as we all know, teenagers know everything. I think he hates me because I read 6 or 7 newspapers a day, and remember the inane items from the "fillers", those are the little blurbs used to fill out what would be a blank spot on the page if they didn't have a "filler."
    Actually I think my wife hates me for the same reason. However I do know a bit about Great Danes, currently have 2, have had as many as 4 at one time. Although I think it would be more appropriate to state that they have me. Maybe there is a thread here. What kind of pets own roadfooders? Also 5 inside cats and an unknown number of outside cats rule the house, the barns, corrals, equipment sheds and other outbuildings.
    kangolpimp
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 119
    RE: Who's the expert? 2003/07/12 01:17:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jessicazee

I am an expert on hash brown casseroles. I love them, I eat them, I desire their cheesy, salty goodness and covet the crispy brown outer layers. If I could find one with a job, I would marry it.

Since you're an expert I would very much like to have your preferred recipe for hash brown casserole. Do you grate your own, or do you buy the loose frozen kind as a shortcut? Would you consider posting it in the recipes section?
    jgleduc
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 145
    RE: Who's the expert? 2003/07/12 08:05:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    kangolpimp writesSince you're an expert I would very much like to have your preferred recipe for hash brown casserole.

I was just about to write the same thing...so I will. Please post a recipe, or recipes...this sounds like a dish I would like to gain some expertise in. Thanks,

JL
    Stogie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: Who's the expert? 2003/07/12 10:10:10 (permalink)
    Though I would never claim to be an expert..I am pretty good at BBQ. But.....I can make claim to being a professional BBQer. I compete, I win money, therefore I must a be a professionl! LOL

I believe I can hold my own on just about any type of cooking, but grilling and BBQ are my faves. And of course coney dogs. Oh, and sausages too. Well, let's not forget Italian since Nona was from there. Also.....

LOL!!

Stogie

Linda Gebhardt
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 61
    RE: Who's the expert? 2003/07/12 13:01:29 (permalink)
    I am by no means an expert. I'm just a foodie that married a foodie. I love to cook and he loves to eat. I love anything to do with food. I collect cookbooks and find nothing better than to take a road trip and discovering a new place to feed our habits, be it a local diner or a yard sale with cookbooks from the past for cheap money.I love to stumble upon those places that bake their own bread and rolls. To me that is a little bit of heaven on earth.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Who's the expert? 2003/07/13 04:29:18 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie
    quote:

Thermodynamics, the last refuge of scoundrels. (Actually, thermodynamics is cool because there's all these great fudge factors - if you're looking to leave a legacy in the sciences, but you're not all that bright, you could get a constant named after you in relatively short order. Fluid dynamics is pretty good for this, too, but I digress.

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular failure" - John Kenneth Galbraith
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Who's the expert? 2003/07/13 04:40:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by kland01s

I am metis on my dad's side, my grandfather metis and my grandmother Cree but she never cooked! They came to Chicago in the early 1920's to blend into "white" life. I only became interested in Native American foods later in life by going to pow wows and my many visits to Santa Fe where I have gone to Pueblo feasts. I love fry bread and but my best memory was at the Santa Clara Pueble and being invited to the Naranjo family home and eating a posole out of a gourd. mmmmmmmmmmmm

Check out Metis recipes at

www.metisresourcecentre.mb.ca/

Another great resource and museum worth the trip:

www.glenbow.com

All the recipes I find are almost ridiculously French Canadian (pea soup) or Scottish (bannocks). Just as well. It's hard to find wild moose here in Los Angeles.
    yumbo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 330
    RE: Who's the expert? 2003/07/13 11:46:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by EliseT

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular failure" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Thanks. I read that to my wife this morning as she was preparing to deliver her last sermon to her congregation. It cut the tension in half.
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Who's the expert? 2003/07/13 19:26:38 (permalink)
    Well, I am a little bit surprised because I have learned so many things from this forum including making (in my BBQ-oving husband's opinion) the best ribs I ever made. I thought because people were so knowledgeable in their posts, they were experts and I wasn't an expert in anything except eating good food. But I did find out that what I thought was expertise was enthusiasm for things you've made and places you've visited and lots of people, including myself, can have that.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1