Hot!Whopper clam

Author
Trask
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 118
2008/04/15 13:51:41 (permalink)

Whopper clam

There were some real good clam tides the past week along the PNW coast and I took advantage of them in spite of missing one day during the week due to jury duty. Morning low spring tides are great times to dig for clams and after several days of getting some nice limits I beat my old record of 2.25 pounds with a monster that weighed just over 3.5 pounds. This is about as big as these gapers get. The neck, cleaned and pounded out, mesured 51/2" x 13". The body was large also and will be fried or ground for sauce or chowder.
I pound out the necks, lay them on a pan and layer them with foil. When they are froze, I place them in a gallon zip lock bag so they are handy to use just like a bag of skinless chicken breasts.
More good tides comming in April, May, and June. I got some good photos and will save the shell.

9 Replies Related Threads

Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5120
    RE: Whopper clam 2008/04/15 14:09:32 (permalink)
    I love those clams raw at my sushi bar.
    essvee
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Whopper clam 2008/04/17 10:09:14 (permalink)
    These are geoducks, right? Must be. Can't see a razor clam getting that big unless you are clamming next to a nuclear power plant.

Where are you on the coast? I wonder how far south one can clam for geoducks. I would love to go and get some of those! twinwillow is onto something, it's called 'mirugai' (sp) at the sushi bar and it is so crunchy and sweet. One of my favorites too. Would be fun to do that at home.

I was on the plane coming back to Oaktown from NY a couple years ago. It was just when JetBlue was getting going and you could get a 99 dollar nonstop ticket. Next to me were to ladies 'of a certain age' who had been on a girls-only vacation, been to Foxwoods and the city and had wore themselves out pursuing night-time sort of fun. They were exhausted and a bit giggly, the perfect post-vacation mood.

JetBlue has the TVs, you know, and I'm scrolling through the channels, looking for something to watch, and I land on a cooking show. The guy is doing geoduck, and when I had tuned in he had already skinned it, removed the body, whatever you do to the thing, and he had the nose laid out on a cutting board. Well, all pink and naked and very very large it was.

All of a sudden the ladies completely lose it. I mean LOSE IT. I look over and they are watching the show too. They are in the kind of laughing fit that we adults don't get to have much any more. Tears streaming, gasping for air, thinking your heart will burst but you can't stop laughing. One lady was afraid that she had or would pee herself and that was making them laugh that much more. I of course was laughing hard with them; you can't be around that kind of hysterics and not laugh yourself.

They finally calmed themselves down and the one lady went to do damage
    control. But they nor I really stopped laughing occasionally until we touched down in Oakland. Good times.

PS The thing truly did resemble nothing more than what one would imagine a Clydesdale's, uh, appendage would look like. Astonishing.
    Trask
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: Whopper clam 2008/04/17 10:48:15 (permalink)
    essvee,
    Well, actually it is an Empire or Horeseneck clam which is found along the Oregon coast and a prized eating clam. You can fins good information on them by doing a search. "Empire clam" will bring you some good sites with pictures, locations, and digging tips. Oregon's south coast near Coos Bay is a prime place. The flavor is not as strong as a goeduck but more than a razor clam. Your flight sounded like fun!
    essvee
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Whopper clam 2008/04/17 10:58:43 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info, Trask. I don't believe I have ever heard of this species. I shall look them up forthwith.

The flight was a lot of fun. I'm stilling smiling remembering those ladies laughing.
    essvee
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Whopper clam 2008/04/17 11:08:14 (permalink)
    So I did go and look it up. Wow! I had no idea there were so many different clams in the PNW. Just about the only ones we get down here in the Bay Area are those awful Manila which look and taste like pencil erasers. I have never seen or eaten most of those clams. I have had razor clams once or twice in Chinese restaurants but that's it. I wonder if the littlenecks are the same species as what New Englanders call littlenecks. Unless I am egregiously mistaken, steamers, littlenecks, cherrystones and round clams, back home in NE, are the same clam in different sizes. Now I want to look that up too.

I also had no idea that those cool looking shells that I always thought were scallops were actually butter and cockle clams. I mean if I had thought about it for a minute I should have figured out they weren't scallops, but I didn't. Stop to think that is.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Whopper clam 2008/06/16 13:32:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by essvee

These are geoducks, right? Must be. Can't see a razor clam getting that big unless you are clamming next to a nuclear power plant.

I was on the plane coming back to Oaktown from NY a couple years ago. It was just when JetBlue was getting going and you could get a 99 dollar nonstop ticket. Next to me were to ladies 'of a certain age' who had been on a girls-only vacation, been to Foxwoods and the city and had wore themselves out pursuing night-time sort of fun. They were exhausted and a bit giggly, the perfect post-vacation mood.

JetBlue has the TVs, you know, and I'm scrolling through the channels, looking for something to watch, and I land on a cooking show. The guy is doing geoduck, and when I had tuned in he had already skinned it, removed the body, whatever you do to the thing, and he had the nose laid out on a cutting board. Well, all pink and naked and very very large it was.

All of a sudden the ladies completely lose it. I mean LOSE IT. I look over and they are watching the show too. They are in the kind of laughing fit that we adults don't get to have much any more. Tears streaming, gasping for air, thinking your heart will burst but you can't stop laughing. One lady was afraid that she had or would pee herself and that was making them laugh that much more. I of course was laughing hard with them; you can't be around that kind of hysterics and not laugh yourself.

They finally calmed themselves down and the one lady went to do damage
    control. But they nor I really stopped laughing occasionally until we touched down in Oakland. Good times.

PS The thing truly did resemble nothing more than what one would imagine a Clydesdale's, uh, appendage would look like. Astonishing.

I remember watching No reservations with Anthony Bourdain and he was with a guy that was "doing whatever they do with them', and of course his commentary just made me laugh and laugh.

More photos at the link below.

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1183&start=10&sid=37fa499e8411f3949c3bd2535a3aaff7

And Mike Rowe From Dirty Jobs did his part..

http://www.watchuonline.com/video/niNeAxQafuk/Mike-is-a-dirty-boy-in-more-ways-than-one.html
    tmiles
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2044
    RE: Whopper clam 2013/12/30 09:47:41 (permalink)
    I note that China has banned imports of USA geoducks for health reasons. China is the main market, and the shutdown has had a really bad effect on the small industry. The clams in question were tested before export, and there is debate about the "real" reason for the ban, as the geoducks did pass the rather tough US standards. One of the biggest USA exporters is Native American owned, and they have been really hurt. 
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5237
    RE: Whopper clam 2013/12/30 11:27:30 (permalink)
    So what can be done with geoducks that could improve the domestic market?
    mlm
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 254
    RE: Whopper clam 2013/12/30 19:27:24 (permalink)
    Maybe they can be used as props by x-rated stand up comedians. OMG, they do look exactly like a...." />
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1