Who's with me on this...HOT SYRUP?!!!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Marco
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Who's with me on this...HOT SYRUP?!!! 2004/07/14 00:53:32 (permalink)
I agree, warm maple syrup definitely beats cold or room temperature syrup. When I say maple, I mean REAL maple. Aunt Jemima or Mrs. Butterworth's does not qualify.

It's no trouble really, just pour the syrup into a custard cup and put it into the microwave for a few seconds.

A piece of French toast dripping with real butter and warm maple syrup makes my mouth water.
emsmom
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: Who's with me on this...HOT SYRUP?!!! 2004/07/14 08:29:01 (permalink)
I had always had my syrup at room temperature and still do at home, but our local pancake house serves it both ways. You can get it at room temperature but they also have a big pot of warm syrup and they will bring you a small pitcher of it if you ask for it. It is really good. The best syrup is what my daughter brought home from a trip to Maine several years ago.
hungovergourmet
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 188
RE: Who's with me on this...HOT SYRUP?!!! 2004/07/14 14:08:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by lamertz

And the recipe for these cakes would be??????????
I'd love to try these. Please share.

The mix is from www.bourbonbread.com. I have not tried it yet but it was one of the door prizes I received at the Roadfood crabcake feast back in April.
Lunza
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 59
RE: Who's with me on this...HOT SYRUP?!!! 2004/07/18 00:00:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Cakes

Just a sideline here. My father's family is British. The British are quite strict about savory vrs. sweet. Sweet is for desserts not for meals. When my parents were first married they were at the inlaws for breakfast and pancakes were on the menu. My mother put butter and syrup on hers as she aways did and my grandfather came unglued. This was not acceptable! The family ate their pancakes with butter only until the end of the meal and then they would put syrup on the last serving as dessert.

In an effort to fit in, my mother followed her inlaws tradition at the next breakfast, but then she decided, to hell with them and went back to having syrup on all of her pancakes. Grandfather got upset every time.

Well, the British usually are not the people to follow when it comes to food *snicker* but in this case I have to agree. I just don't like syrup (except in yogurt of all things; see next entry). Come to think of it, I don't like pancakes. I do like waffles, but without syrup.
Lunza
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 59
RE: Who's with me on this...HOT SYRUP?!!! 2004/07/18 00:04:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by axvawe

I have made my own maple syrup when living in New England, its a tough chore but a lot of fun to finally get out of the house near the end of winter. I use maple syrup every day as my only sweetner for freshly made coffee, just use a teaspoon it gives the coffee a great flavor. I usually don't heat it but prefer to when I have the time. On Saturday and Sunday for pancakes I love maple syrup heated and poured over the melted butter on hot pancakes. Nothing better.

This is going to sound bizarre, perhaps, but try putting some maple syrup in plain yogurt. It's good. A dairy here in California actually sells that flavor of yogurt.
WingLover
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 145
RE: Who's with me on this...HOT SYRUP?!!! 2004/07/23 12:38:03 (permalink)
I love warm maple syrup on pancakes. Talk about goodness ;)
santacruz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 372
RE: Who's with me on this...HOT SYRUP?!!! 2004/07/23 13:05:34 (permalink)
Lunza,
I put my maple syrup in plain yogurt with fresh fruit and it is so great. It seems like a healthy desert.
alesrus
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 292
RE: Who's with me on this...HOT SYRUP?!!! 2004/07/23 13:58:10 (permalink)
We used to heat the syrup up and put the butter right in it. The butter would melt and then we would pour it on the pancakes...MMMMMMMMMMMMM butter and syrup perfect together!
berndog
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 674
RE: Who's with me on this...HOT SYRUP?!!! 2004/07/23 14:27:44 (permalink)
I never noticed a big difference in taste or flavor with either real maple syrup, or other "maple flavored" syrups whether they were at room temp or heated. But, why put cold syrup on a hot pancake or waffle? The heated syrup helps to maintain the temperature of the food, making it taste better until I finish eating.

For that reason alone, I prefer my syrup heated.
tdeneek
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: Who's with me on this...HOT SYRUP?!!! 2004/08/01 21:46:26 (permalink)
We seldom had maple syrup, but my dad used to make his own strawberry syrup from frozen strawberries and I loved it warm! I like the fact that it soaks right into the pancakes or waffles an dyou know that every bite is going to be sweet and yummy!
queenb
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 120
RE: Who's with me on this...HOT SYRUP?!!! 2004/08/07 07:45:21 (permalink)
I like my syrup room temp or warmed, but I've got to agree with Lone Star that sorghum is better than maple. I bet Mayhaw Man is from Downsouth too, seeing his choice of syrup (well, that and the name!) I also like the old Southern staple, Karo pancake syrup. It has the thickness like sorghum, and that's what I think I miss when I use maple syrup or Log Cabin (my Granny always said, "Don't git Lawg Cabin. Hit's too runny to sop yer biscuit")
MissKitty
Cheeseburger
RE: Who's with me on this...HOT SYRUP?!!! 2004/08/19 15:20:50 (permalink)
quote:

Just a sideline here. My father's family is British. The British are quite strict about savory vrs. sweet. Sweet is for desserts not for meals. When my parents were first married they were at the inlaws for breakfast and pancakes were on the menu. My mother put butter and syrup on her's as she aways did and my grandfather came unglued. This was not acceptable! The family ate their pancakes with butter only until the end of the meal and then they would put syrup on the last serving as dessert.

In an effort to fit in, my mother followed her inlaws tradition at the next breakfast, but then she decided, to hell with them and went back to having syrup on all of her pancakes. Grandfather got upset every time.

I beg to differ I am British and I can't say I have noticed any strict savoury/sweet divisions. We eat a lot of sweet fruit based chutneys, sauces and relishes with meat and cheese and other savoury items, and particularly in the North of England you get a lot of savoury/sweet combos of pies and puddings etc. What could have triggered your grandparents reaction was some kind of hangover from the food privations of rationing in the 40's and 50's, ie that it would be a touch greedy or wasteful to want both syrup and butter on the pancakes ( this kind of attitude didnt really die out for quite some time after WW II )

Anyway, back on topic ... I like cold syrup, hot syrup, warm syrup ... any kind of temperature, its all good ! As long as its maple syrup, I have to admit Im none too keen on the good old Brit favourite Golden Syrup.
Cakes
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 562
RE: Who's with me on this...HOT SYRUP?!!! 2004/08/19 17:26:50 (permalink)
Miss Kitty,

Actually, my boss is British and he imformed me that combining sweet and savory is just not considered proper in the UK.

He is from the south of London.

Don't kill the messenger Cakes
MissKitty
Cheeseburger
RE: Who's with me on this...HOT SYRUP?!!! 2004/08/23 16:01:54 (permalink)
quote:

Miss Kitty,

Actually, my boss is British and he imformed me that combining sweet and savory is just not considered proper in the UK.

Oh not killing the messenger Not sure what your bosses background is, maybe he comes from the upper class instead of us ordinary working class folk consuming simple peasant food There is historical basis for combining sweet and savoury over here, ie mincemeat used to contain actual meat and not just fruit and spices and there are some exotic combinations in mediaval cookbooks. Some of those were no doubt concocted as a kind of status symbol in the homes of the wealthy to show off the use of sugar which was a newly more available and fashionable food item in the early Middle Ages, but honey has been used a preservative for savoury items for many hundreds of years.

Cakes
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 562
RE: Who's with me on this...HOT SYRUP?!!! 2004/08/23 16:21:12 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MissKitty

quote:

Miss Kitty,

Oh not killing the messenger Not sure what your bosses background is, maybe he comes from the upper class instead of us ordinary working class folk consuming simple peasant food There is historical basis for combining sweet and savoury over here, ie mincemeat used to contain actual meat and not just fruit and spices and there are some exotic combinations in mediaval cookbooks. Some of those were no doubt concocted as a kind of status symbol in the homes of the wealthy to show off the use of sugar which was a newly more available and fashionable food item in the early Middle Ages, but honey has been used a preservative for savoury items for many hundreds of years.

I suspect that my boss's family is upper class and I know that my father's side of the family considered themselves as such also.

That's OK, I like syrup on my pancakes and enjoy sweetrolls with my rasher of bacon, too.

Cakes
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13473
RE: Who's with me on this...HOT SYRUP?!!! 2004/08/23 16:28:55 (permalink)
I took Mamaw Smith to the Amish country close to Jamestown, TN last October where the Amish were making soghrum molasses. I did learn something while I was there and they were boiling the liquid. They kept raking the green crap off the top. I ask them why and they indicated the green crap makes it bitter.

I have to admit their product was delicious, but not better than maple syrup.

It as in all syrups is better hot.

Also it was interesting watching them squeeze the cane to get the liquid. They had mules walking for hours in circles while they fed the stalks of cane into the device that squeezed the juic from the cane. The juice was boiled until a syrup developed. A green product kept rising to the top which they peeled off, collected and fed to their cattle which they indicated they went nuts over.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
dan409
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 21
RE: Who's with me on this...HOT SYRUP?!!! 2004/08/23 18:12:20 (permalink)
I like to put syrup on first, heated or not, and then the butter. If you butter the pancake first, it seals out some of the syrup!
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1