Hot!Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs.

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
John Fox
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2326
Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. 2013/07/01 15:14:26 (permalink)
Sorry for the double post. Didn't see the first one.
ces1948
  • Total Posts : 1505
Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. 2013/07/01 15:23:33 (permalink)
We eat more of them then we probably should. I generally grab one from the vendor outside Home Depot with red onion sauce and deli mustard. We also like beanie wienies and have that close to once a week. I'm really more concerned about the fat, sat fat, sodium content etc than anything else. The ones we use in beanie wienies are Publix jumbo beef which have 180cal, 18g fat, 6g sat fat and 540mg sodium. We have two each so the fat, sat fat and sodium  amount to around 50-60 % of daily totals. Don't feel like that's overboard.
brickie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 226
Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. 2013/07/01 15:27:06 (permalink)
John, I TRULY admire you, and your love of hot dogs.
I don't believe anyone is saying a hot dog killed Mr. G.
It is a lifestyle of course. I'm just saying, Americans in
general are realizing the important s of a healthy diet,
which hot dogs are not.
Peace out!
Wintahaba
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 118
Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. 2013/07/01 15:32:02 (permalink)
I think John summed it up. It's about moderation and choices. This site celebrates The Road, Restaurants, and FOOD. If we buy dogs it's Vienna/Hebrew/Nathens/Klements beef (unless I'm in Maine, then it's a steamed RED snappy dog) premium variety. Obviously, I should be choosing a more healthy option like.....Fried Chicken and Mac n' Cheese.
brisketboy
  • Total Posts : 1089
Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. 2013/07/01 15:42:11 (permalink)
Hey Twin, last time I had that dog I also had a side of pulled pork mac and cheese. That is it's own brand of misery, for hours.
Russ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 2257
Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. 2013/07/01 16:01:24 (permalink)
brickie

Russ Jackson

brickie

Ask James Gandolfini's son, if eating healthy isn't important.
People hopefully, are starting to cut down on JUNK food.
I've never tried Applegate farms dogs, but why the hell not?

I am sure a lot of things helped cause his early demise. Food might have been one of them. We are all going to die eventually. Going through life and not eating a Detroit Coney would be bad. I hope he had a great meal with his Son before he checked out....Russ
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/What-Would-Be-Your-Last-Meal-m358625.aspx

My point is, people are beginning to realize the importance of diet, hence the slowdown of hot dog consumption.
"We are all going to die eventually" is really a childish statement at the very least.

It may be childish but it is true. If you eat too much of anything its bad. Not enough exercise is bad. Heck the 55 hours of work in a high stress job is most likely the worst. Got to mix it up. You have to live and eat. I think you playing the recent dead guy card was childish.  Personally I think the family unit has continued to break down and people BBQ with the family less. 10 years ago 4th of July was a huge event and 20 years ago almost everyone had a party or picnic. When was the last time you went to a Family Picnic? Let alone a Church Picnic.  It has become less important through the years. If the food police had there way Hot Dogs would be banned. 

Do you think the decrease of Hot Dog sales has something to do with adding Chicken or Turkey to them creating a mushy, tasteless, tube of mystery meat? The advent of the cheap Hot Dog has not helped either. I have to stop the rant right now and take an aspirin because my chest is getting tight. I hope its just heartburn from the 3 Bacon,Chili and Cheese Dogs I ate earlier. I am coming Elizabeth....Russ 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwPZu9L-CP0
post edited by Russ Jackson - 2013/07/01 16:10:12
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5045
Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. 2013/07/01 17:03:01 (permalink)
"I'm coming, Elizabeth" LMFAO!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18258
Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. 2013/07/01 17:14:48 (permalink)
Twinwillow

lleechef

I buy maybe 2 pkgs. of hot dogs a year, Nathan's skinless beef franks for MH.  I once went to my veal purveyor to pick up my order and saw a bucket of scrap........silver skin, gristle, tendon, etc. and asked, "What's this for?  Stock?"  He replied, "Nope.  Hot dogs."  That did it for me.  I didn't eat a hot dog for years.  I occasionally eat one at Brighton Hot Dog Shoppe in New Brighton, PA and at Phillip's in Columbus, but that's about it.   

That's exactly the point I was making above. And it only reinforces my reason for eating Applegate's organic hot dogs. Made from full cuts only! And none of the offaly bad stuff. Yes, pun intended!

Whenever I see the word organic appended to foodstuffs I immediately head in another direction. Organic merely means the same thing for more money.
ces1948
Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. 2013/07/01 17:23:49 (permalink)
Does anyone really believe hot dogs are lower quality then they were years ago. That's just living in a fantasy world. Hot dogs have always been some of the lowest quality products out there.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4580
Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. 2013/07/01 17:25:00 (permalink)
Absurd. 
brickie
Cheeseburger
Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. 2013/07/01 17:39:48 (permalink)
Russ Jackson

brickie

Russ Jackson

brickie

I am sure a lot of things helped cause his early demise. Food might have been one of them. We are all going to die eventually. Going through life and not eating a Detroit Coney would be bad. I hope he had a great meal with his Son before he checked out....Russ

My point is, people are beginning to realize the importance of diet, hence the slowdown of hot dog consumption.
"We are all going to die eventually" is really a childish statement at the very least.

It may be childish but it is true. If you eat too much of anything its bad. Not enough exercise is bad. Heck the 55 hours of work in a high stress job is most likely the worst. Got to mix it up. You have to live and eat. I think you playing the recent dead guy card was childish.  Personally I think the family unit has continued to break down and people BBQ with the family less. 10 years ago 4th of July was a huge event and 20 years ago almost everyone had a party or picnic. When was the last time you went to a Family Picnic? Let alone a Church Picnic.  It has become less important through the years. If the food police had there way Hot Dogs would be banned. 

Do you think the decrease of Hot Dog sales has something to do with adding Chicken or Turkey to them creating a mushy, tasteless, tube of mystery meat? The advent of the cheap Hot Dog has not helped either. I have to stop the rant right now and take an aspirin because my chest is getting tight. I hope its just heartburn from the 3 Bacon,Chili and Cheese Dogs I ate earlier. I am coming Elizabeth....Russ 

Just responding to an idiotic statement. My dad died at 44 yrs. old in 1984 from a heart attack due to poor health practices.
There is no way to share the amount of loss, his needless early death caused so many innocents.
To say " You got to die eventually" is a selfish, CHILDISH remark.
Russ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 2257
Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. 2013/07/01 18:16:54 (permalink)
brickie

Russ Jackson

brickie

Russ Jackson

brickie

Just responding to an idiotic statement. My dad died at 44 yrs. old in 1984 from a heart attack due to poor health practices.
There is no way to share the amount of loss, his needless early death caused so many innocents.
To say " You got to die eventually" is a selfish, CHILDISH remark.

Are you actually playing the Dead Dad Card now? Whats next? If you are very quiet they say you can actually hear the hardening of the arteries on this site. Why do you even come to this site? Have you seen the front page alone. 

#1 Cream pies are the specialty of the house.
#2 The "St. Joseph" is an elegant submarine sandwich: ribbons of good meats, a spritz of oil, and a hail of spice on an airy roll with tender crust.
#3 Keaton's chicken is unlike any other: slightly crisp, slightly caramelized, and shot through with the flavor of the house barbecue sauce. It is so good it made our tipster weep with joy.
#4 A pair of Papaya King dogs, well-dressed
#5 Being in Ohio, I couldn't resist the Buckeye sundae. This is chocolate peanut butter ice cream, hot fudge, a buckeye candy, whipped cream and, instead of nuts and a cherry, you get Reese's Pieces.
# 6 Not a trick photo. This is one Gus Balon cinnamon roll, about the size of a half-loaf of bread. It is presented warm with butter, and it is a meal unto itself.
#7 The day in Memphis of course features plenty of barbecue: pig sandwiches, ribs, bologna, even barbecue spaghetti and barbecue salad. We'll be hitting what many consider to be the best smoke house in town – Cozy Corner. Proprietor Desiree Robinson has long been a friend of Roadfood and said she is eager to greet us. We'll also be checking out Que at the Germantown Commissary and at Central Barbecue. And somewhere in the middle of that, we'll vary the menu with a visit to the Cupboard, which is known for its southern-style vegetables and superb pies.
#8 Speaking of pies, of course we will be eating plenty on Saturday in Arkansas, which connoisseurs consider to be home to some of the nation's finest pies. In addition to eating more fantastic barbecue in Hot Springs – at Stubby's and McClard's – we will be spending time in Little Rock as special guests of the National Cheese Dip Festival and Competition. And we will be dining at the magnificent Doe's Eat Place.

How do you even get by the first page? ...Russ
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. 2013/07/01 18:32:50 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

Whenever I see the word organic appended to foodstuffs I immediately head in another direction. Organic merely means the same thing for more money.

Michael, I respect your right & privilege to consume as many chemicals and pesticides as you wish. But, that's where I immediately head in another direction.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. 2013/07/01 18:34:49 (permalink)
ces1948

Does anyone really believe hot dogs are lower quality then they were years ago. That's just living in a fantasy world. Hot dogs have always been some of the lowest quality products out there.

Maybe not all but, most!
John Fox
Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. 2013/07/01 18:44:16 (permalink)
There are many high quality franks out there. Small regional producers as well as pork stores and butchers that use premium meats.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. 2013/07/01 19:14:30 (permalink)
Not many in Dallas. Maybe two. Just two. Rudolph's Meat Market and Kuby's. And that's about it!
http://rudolphsmarket.com/
http://www.kubys.com/
Keysey42
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 55
Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. 2013/07/01 20:17:30 (permalink)
We had relatives visit from Milwaukee recently, so now our freezer is stocked with Usinger's bratwurst and natural casing franks. I'm eating healthier than I used, buying local organic fruits and vegetables, and cutting a lot of the nasty stuff, like high-fructose corn syrup, out of my diet. But I won't cut things I enjoy, like brats and hot dogs, especially from Usinger's. It really is all about balance and moderation. Nobody knows how long they'll live or what will ultimately kill them. That's why my all-time favorite bumper sticker/t-shirt slogan is, "Eat Heathy, Stay Fit & Die Anyway."
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. 2013/07/01 21:00:52 (permalink)
brisketboy

Hey Twin, last time I had that dog I also had a side of pulled pork mac and cheese. That is it's own brand of misery, for hours.

Yeah but like I said, if it's your last meal, what does it matter? You'll soon be out of your misery.
John Fox
Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. 2013/07/01 21:06:16 (permalink)
brickie

which hot dogs are not.
Peace out!

I admit that I eat more hot dogs than I should. Recently I've limited it to once a week for hot dogs. It's fine that many are persuing a healthy diet. We all know the risks and consequences. I just get uncomforyable when I sense government intrusion and being told what to do.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6189
Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. 2013/07/01 21:46:04 (permalink)
John Fox

I don't think a hot dog caused Mr. Gandolfini's death. Again, it's my choice and my life. I used to get on my father for smoking. I finally stopped. Why should I deprive him of something he enjoys so much. Life is short enough even if you live to be a hundred. My father is pushing 80. I let him enjoy what he likes. He is healthy. My younger brother on the other hand died in his early 40's. You never know when your time will be up. Might as well enjoy, at least in moderation. Most dogs billed as healthy don't taste good. I enjoy deep fried (in lard) hot dogs from Rutt's Hut and won't let anyone try to talk me out of, scare me out of, or deprive me of them. I wonder what those who are so concerned about eating healthy are doing on a site like this anyway.

Yes...Yes...Yes...
ces1948
Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. 2013/07/01 22:01:12 (permalink)
Well back to the original topic. I really don't know why people are eating less hotdogs these days. I certainly don't believe for an instant it has anything to do with eating healthier. Places like McD and Taco bell continue to pack em in by the millions.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3140
Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. Applegate dogs 2013/07/05 12:22:45 (permalink)
Twinwillow

NYPIzzaNut, you're most welcome. Wholefoods carry's them as well as most all health food stores. They're as tasty as anything out there. 

It turns out that our local Kroger in Mt Orab only stocks their bacon.
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8317
Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. Applegate dogs 2013/07/05 14:56:20 (permalink)
My point originally was a cost issue....and it still is. Tonight, however, we are having Vienna franks on rye buns thanks to my constiuents from Ohio. Now if only I could get them to send me peach ice cream.....
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. Applegate dogs 2013/07/05 15:19:29 (permalink)
Coming up -- just as soon as I can find a container that won't leak.
HollyDolly
  • Total Posts : 1069
Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. 2013/07/08 13:03:21 (permalink)
Didn't know there was a slump in sales.Talked to my sister and brother in law last night.Ross was telling me that the Weinermobile was at the Stop N'Shop .Now where it is in Piermont,Ny don't know. Anyhow, they got me a weinie whistle,and the store was handing out free hot dogs.I found some places around here that sell Applegate hotdogs. However,I need to either go to the two new Braunfels H.E.B.s, or  some of the other ones.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10080
Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. 2013/07/08 22:21:21 (permalink)
John Fox

brickie

which hot dogs are not.
Peace out!

I admit that I eat more hot dogs than I should. Recently I've limited it to once a week for hot dogs. It's fine that many are persuing a healthy diet. We all know the risks and consequences. I just get uncomforyable when I sense government intrusion and being told what to do.

HOW CAN YOU SAY SOMETHING LIKE THAT JOHN?
AS SOON AS THE GOVERNMENT MADE CIGARETTE COMPANIES PUT WARNING LABELS ON CIGARETTE PACKS AND CARTONS AND THEIR ADVERTISING, EVERYONE QUIT SMOKING!!!!
EVERYONE KNOWS THAT THE GOVERNMENT KNOWS WHAT'S BEST FOR US! 
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. 2013/07/08 23:16:52 (permalink)
I recently commissioned a survey to determine whether there was any truth to reports that fewer hot dogs are being eaten these days. It turns out that those reports are quite wrong. According to the survey organization I commissioned I am eating just as many hot dogs as ever.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. 2013/07/09 00:18:07 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

I recently commissioned a survey to determine whether there was any truth to reports that fewer hot dogs are being eaten these days. It turns out that those reports are quite wrong. According to the survey organization I commissioned I am eating just as many hot dogs as ever.

yuppicide
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 219
Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. 2013/07/09 21:06:12 (permalink)
I've always wanted to try Applegate, but they're expensive.

I can't believe some people even like Ball Park. I won't say they're horrible.. I mean when they're on sale for $2.49 a pack I buy the all beef ones. But, if I had a choice I wouldn't buy them. My Grandmother loves them for some reason. For many years she thought our favorite Texas Weiner used Sabrett's when they actually use Grote & Weigel. Those are my favorite.

The reason, though, I haven't eaten as many hot dogs lately? Well, few things. I moved away from where I grew up. Around there we had atleast 6 or 7 Texas Weiner's not far from each other. Down in my area there's nothing close by since I'm in the middle of the pine barrens. It's about 25 minutes to Jo Jo's Italian Hot Dogs or Wunder Weiner.

The other reason is I lost touch with my Dad for the past 20 years or so. His side of the family had a pool in the back yard, and lots of brothers and sisters. We'd BBQ almost every weekend or two. If it wasn't at my Grandmother's close by it'd be at an Aunt/Uncle's house in the country. Everyone would chip in, so really it didn't cost much for each person.

brickie
Cheeseburger
Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. 2013/08/15 18:14:18 (permalink)
Had three "all the way" @ Olneyville today.
I'll hit the gym tomorrow!
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1