The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs.

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 63
leethebard

• Total Posts: 6071
Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. Sun, 06/30/13 5:13 PM (permalink)
http://finance.yahoo.com/...ot-dogs-173515942.html

According to this,  hotdog sales, all around, are down the last few years. Do you notice this change in your area? I think things are steady in Jersey!! If this is true, why? Hot dogs, even quality ones, are generally cheaper than many other barbecue and picnic choices. It's still a fairly cheap meal choice!

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4895
    Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. Sun, 06/30/13 6:06 PM (permalink)
    One should take care never eat on a regular basis, hot dogs laden with sodium, nitrates and made with lips, snouts, and tails, etc.

Personally, I only buy hot dogs made with organic ingredients that are uncured and nitrate free. Such as........
    http://www.applegate.com/...s/natural-beef-hot-dog

They are delicious and, cost less than major supermarket brands!

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
      Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. Sun, 06/30/13 7:07 PM (permalink)
      It because good hot dogs cost $5.00 per pack. Budget Hot Dogs like Ball Park etc... Taste like crap. In Ohio its actually tough to find a Natural Casing Hot Dog. In Wal-Mart, Kroger and other big chains its tough to even find a good tasting Hot Dog. Ball Park was once edible now its horrible. Especially over the past 5 years. heck even a lb of Bologna is almost $6 dollars. Also the only way young people cook is with a Microwave. Ever eat a Microwave Hot Dog? Ever eat a second one?...Russ

Twinwillow

Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. Sun, 06/30/13 7:18 PM (permalink)
        Maybe this will help a bit cost wise.
        http://www.applegate.com/coupons

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
          Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. Sun, 06/30/13 9:06 PM (permalink)
          I noticed that both Kroger and Meijer stock Applegate.  I will be checking them out shortly.  Thanks for the tip Twinwillow.

Twinwillow

Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. Sun, 06/30/13 9:33 PM (permalink)
            NYPIzzaNut, you're most welcome. Wholefoods carry's them as well as most all health food stores. They're as tasty as anything out there. 

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1503
              Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. Sun, 06/30/13 10:58 PM (permalink)
              Isn't that an old myth about hot dogs being made out of lips and snouts? Besides, at a Parisian restaurant you'd probably have to pay extra for the Lips & Snouts, n'est pas?

The Bear

Twinwillow

Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. Sun, 06/30/13 11:18 PM (permalink)
                I guess the next time I'm in Paris, I'll order the less expensive cuts like ribeye, filet, and strips. I can't afford to pay extra for lips, snouts, and tails.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                  Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. Mon, 07/1/13 7:31 AM (permalink)
                  I buy fewer hot dogs as the only ones we will eat( Hebrew National) are expensive. I have to wait til they go on sale, and that is few and far between. We also like Vienna and Nathans, but they are even more costly.

brickie

• Total Posts: 226
                    Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. Mon, 07/1/13 7:52 AM (permalink)
                    It's not the cost of the hotdogs, but the cost of bad health.
                    I'm over 50 and I can tell you, be careful with salty, fatty food.
                    I LOVE good dogs, just had some char grilled Saugys on Saturday,
                    but maybe one or two for the 4th. and I'm done till Labor day.
                    We Americans have to grow up, and stop growing OUT!

<message edited by brickie on Mon, 07/1/13 7:54 AM>

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
                      Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. Mon, 07/1/13 7:56 AM (permalink)
                      I don't think there's any one reason. Beef has gone up for one. People are being scared by the media into thinking hot dogs are evil. They're not health food, but eating in moderation is ok. Some school cafeterias have banned hot dogs. Better to give kids condoms but prohibit them from enjoying hot dogs I guess. I'm glad I grew up when I did. We had pizza for lunch in school every Friday. The cafeteria also served hot dogs, hamburgers, grilled cheese, meatloaf, and gave you a choice of eating something "healthier". And there were fewer obese kids back then because we were out playing baseball all day, not video games.

While Americans may be eating less hot dogs, they are eating better quality ones. Hot dogs have become trendy. Just look at all the new places opening that serve the dreaded,  pretentious "haute dogs."

ChiTownDiner

Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. Mon, 07/1/13 8:12 AM (permalink)
                        Thanks John...well said.

Russ Jackson

Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. Mon, 07/1/13 8:49 AM (permalink)
                          Meijers now carries Koegel's. They are reasonably priced and my favorite....Russ
                          http://www.koegelmeats.com/
                          <message edited by Russ Jackson on Mon, 07/1/13 2:00 PM>

brickie

Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. Mon, 07/1/13 8:55 AM (permalink)
                            John Fox

I don't think there's any one reason. Beef has gone up for one. People are being scared by the media into thinking hot dogs are evil. They're not health food, but eating in moderation is ok. Some school cafeterias have banned hot dogs. Better to give kids condoms but prohibit them from enjoying hot dogs I guess. I'm glad I grew up when I did. We had pizza for lunch in school every Friday. The cafeteria also served hot dogs, hamburgers, grilled cheese, meatloaf, and gave you a choice of eating something "healthier". And there were fewer obese kids back then because we were out playing baseball all day, not video games.

While Americans may be eating less hot dogs, they are eating better quality ones. Hot dogs have become trendy. Just look at all the new places opening that serve the dreaded,  pretentious "haute dogs."

And take a good look at many of us today.
                            PORTION size affects weight far more than exercise.
                            I feel we're slowly realizing we cannot afford to continue to eat so much unhealthy
                            food. I hope.

John Fox

Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. Mon, 07/1/13 9:04 AM (permalink)
                              Well, it's up to us to make our own choices. This was never a big deal years ago. I'm an adult and can eat ice cream for every meal if I want, but I won't. I just pray that it doesn't result in more government intrusion. Like Bloomberg in N.Y. making it illegal to sell a large soda.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6071
                                Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. Mon, 07/1/13 10:31 AM (permalink)
                                We need to stop villifying the Hotdog. John is so right. Everything in moderation, Just look at our posted food pictures and read of the road food we love...then look at the health issues ..we'd be posting pictures of cottage cheese...are people eating less bacon?.....oh God,the health benifits of our beloved bacon!!! Beloved barbecue...check the fat and sugar content there....Icecream...etc. Need I go on...Enjoy everything...You don't have to eat hotdogs once a summer...enjoy...but eat all the food we love in moderation. If there is a dip in hot dog sales,I,for one, don't think the main reason is we're worried about our health!!!

bartl

• Total Posts: 1208
                                  Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. Mon, 07/1/13 10:35 AM (permalink)
                                  I mentioned it in another thread, but, at least around here in northern NJ, the Hillshire Farm and Johnsonville sausages, which freeze rather nicely, are frequently on sale for $2.50/$3.00 for a 14 ounce (recently reduced from 16 oz) pack of 6. Making them cheaper than even the lowest end hot dogs.

Bart

brisketboy

• Total Posts: 1055
                                    Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. Mon, 07/1/13 10:50 AM (permalink)
                                    I for one am tired of the food police, the fashion police, the cigarette police etc.   We're all adults here (you would think) and should know what is moderation. Oops, wait we may not all be adults except chronologically.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6217
                                      Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. Mon, 07/1/13 11:31 AM (permalink)
                                      I buy maybe 2 pkgs. of hot dogs a year, Nathan's skinless beef franks for MH.  I once went to my veal purveyor to pick up my order and saw a bucket of scrap........silver skin, gristle, tendon, etc. and asked, "What's this for?  Stock?"  He replied, "Nope.  Hot dogs."  That did it for me.  I didn't eat a hot dog for years.  I occasionally eat one at Brighton Hot Dog Shoppe in New Brighton, PA and at Phillip's in Columbus, but that's about it.   

mimi1019

• Total Posts: 10
                                        Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. Mon, 07/1/13 12:31 PM (permalink)
                                        Personally, I think it may have to do with a slight shift in people's eating habits. People are leaning more towards eating healthier meats, less processed food, and food with fewer chemical ingredients in them. In general foods that are healthier processed. Since hot dogs are very processed and may include ingredients that some people can view as being harmful to your health, that may be a reason as to why people are eating them less. I personally rarely eat hot dogs for these reasons. I still enjoy a good hot dog on the grill during summer months but I refrain from eating them a lot and also buy brands such as applegate.

mimi1019

• Total Posts: 10
                                          Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. Mon, 07/1/13 12:31 PM (permalink)
                                          Personally, I think it may have to do with a slight shift in people's eating habits. People are leaning more towards eating healthier meats, less processed food, and food with fewer chemical ingredients in them. In general foods that are healthier processed. Since hot dogs are very processed and may include ingredients that some people can view as being harmful to your health, that may be a reason as to why people are eating them less. I personally rarely eat hot dogs for these reasons. I still enjoy a good hot dog on the grill during summer months but I refrain from eating them a lot and also buy brands such as applegate.

Twinwillow

Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. Mon, 07/1/13 1:27 PM (permalink)
                                            lleechef

I buy maybe 2 pkgs. of hot dogs a year, Nathan's skinless beef franks for MH.  I once went to my veal purveyor to pick up my order and saw a bucket of scrap........silver skin, gristle, tendon, etc. and asked, "What's this for?  Stock?"  He replied, "Nope.  Hot dogs."  That did it for me.  I didn't eat a hot dog for years.  I occasionally eat one at Brighton Hot Dog Shoppe in New Brighton, PA and at Phillip's in Columbus, but that's about it.   

That's exactly the point I was making above. And it only reinforces my reason for eating Applegate's organic hot dogs. Made from full cuts only! And none of the offaly bad stuff. Yes, pun intended!
                                            <message edited by Twinwillow on Mon, 07/1/13 1:28 PM>

Russ Jackson

Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. Mon, 07/1/13 2:00 PM (permalink)
                                              I never thought we would be pushing healthy dogs on roadfood. Has anyone tried deep frying a Applegate's organic hot dogs? If yes has anyone tried frying them in Lard?...Russ
                                              <message edited by Russ Jackson on Mon, 07/1/13 2:01 PM>

brisketboy

• Total Posts: 1055
                                                Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. Mon, 07/1/13 2:08 PM (permalink)
                                                I'm not pushing this but I go to a place that takes a quarter pound dog, wraps it in bacon, deep fries it and covers it with cheese, chili and a fried egg. Can't get any healthier than that!

Twinwillow

Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. Mon, 07/1/13 2:21 PM (permalink)
                                                  brisketboy

I'm not pushing this but I go to a place that takes a quarter pound dog, wraps it in bacon, deep fries it and covers it with cheese, chili and a fried egg. Can't get any healthier than that!

I think I'll order that for my last meal!

brickie

Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. Mon, 07/1/13 2:30 PM (permalink)
                                                    Ask James Gandolfini's son, if eating healthy isn't important.
                                                    People hopefully, are starting to cut down on JUNK food.
                                                    I've never tried Applegate farms dogs, but why the hell not?

Russ Jackson

Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. Mon, 07/1/13 2:39 PM (permalink)
                                                      brickie

I am sure a lot of things helped cause his early demise. Food might have been one of them. We are all going to die eventually. Going through life and not eating a Detroit Coney would be bad. I hope he had a great meal with his Son before he checked out....Russ
                                                      http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/What-Would-Be-Your-Last-Meal-m358625.aspx

John Fox

Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. Mon, 07/1/13 3:03 PM (permalink)
                                                        I don't think a hot dog caused Mr. Gandolfini's death. Again, it's my choice and my life. I used to get on my father for smoking. I finally stopped. Why should I deprive him of something he enjoys so much. Life is short enough even if you live to be a hundred. My father is pushing 80. I let him enjoy what he likes. He is healthy. My younger brother on the other hand died in his early 40's. You never know when your time will be up. Might as well enjoy, at least in moderation. Most dogs billed as healthy don't taste good. I enjoy deep fried (in lard) hot dogs from Rutt's Hut and won't let anyone try to talk me out of, scare me out of, or deprive me of them. I wonder what those who are so concerned about eating healthy are doing on a site like this anyway.

brickie

• Location: sterling, CT
                                                          Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. Mon, 07/1/13 3:08 PM (permalink)
                                                          Russ Jackson

brickie

I am sure a lot of things helped cause his early demise. Food might have been one of them. We are all going to die eventually. Going through life and not eating a Detroit Coney would be bad. I hope he had a great meal with his Son before he checked out....Russ
                                                          http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/What-Would-Be-Your-Last-Meal-m358625.aspx

My point is, people are beginning to realize the importance of diet, hence the slowdown of hot dog consumption.
                                                          "We are all going to die eventually" is really a childish statement at the very least.

John Fox

• Location: Union, NJ
                                                            Re:Why Americans are eating fewer hotdogs. Mon, 07/1/13 3:12 PM (permalink)
                                                            I don't think a hot dog caused Mr. Gandolfini's death. Again, it's my choice and my life. I used to get on my father for smoking. I finally stopped. Why should I deprive him of something he enjoys so much. Life is short enough even if you live to be a hundred. My father is pushing 80. I let him enjoy what he likes. He is healthy. My younger brother on the other hand died in his early 40's. You never know when your time will be up. Might as well enjoy, at least in moderation. Most dogs billed as healthy don't taste good. I enjoy deep fried (in lard) hot dogs from Rutt's Hut and won't let anyone try to talk me out of, scare me out of, or deprive me of them. I wonder what those who are so concerned about eating healthy are doing on a site like this anyway.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 63

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com